Warning - the following chapter is ~1300 words of technobabble. Seriously. I'm not sure how I managed either. I even had to cut parts out so it didn't dwarf every other chapter.
I know that feeling.

Plus side is, once you get it out of the way the first time, you can just say something to the effect of "I did pretty much the same thing with X, but X differed from Y in that" and then state the differences.

It generally keeps things pretty concise.

I would greatly enjoy you eventually crossing paths with @Drich sometime down the line. However, It depends on whether or not Drich would want something like that, so there is a good chance I may never get to see it.
Hmm. Drich gives a considering hum.

Though you can probably say "And then I did it again" for the second one. We know what you're doing, now.

I know that feeling.

Plus side is, once you get it out of the way the first time, you can just say something to the effect of "I did pretty much the same thing with X, but X differed from Y in that" and then state the differences.

Yeah, that was the general idea. I ended up cutting half the chapter because it got a little long, so I've basically just skipped over the design of the bigger ship.

This gives me the advantage of being able to have the ship pull any number of bullshit feats and be like 'yes this was definitely part of the plan'

:D

Good to see Commander Faith playing the humanitarian angle and not just throwing all the nukes. That old cliché about power and responsibility isn't arbitrary here, she could just bug out if she wanted, but instead she's stepping up the mantle and doing her best job (which is thankfully more than good enough) of saving as many innocent lives as she can.

Yeah, pretty much. For a while I was tossing up whether or not to kill the first Titan, but I decided as much as I felt sorry for the Lumes for having a bunch of douchebags drop out of the sky and poison their atmosphere, I'd rather kill the Titan at the walls and evacuate everyone than let the Titan stomp its way through a city because I didn't want to give the poor Lume a boo-boo.

Interesting.

As for settings I want to see, said this over in Commander, but Knights of Sidonia, partly because of limited space and resources. Mining the ship people live in would be impolite...

8 - Refuge
In which things do not go wrong.

Yet.

8 - Refuge

As awesome as my new Airfields were, and heavily decked out in Fabricator Modules, they took almost a minute to build the freighter. Fifty two seconds, to be exact.

Speaking of which, I needed to name the freighter.

Hm.

I could just be lazy and give it a designation from the Greek alphabet or something.

Theta-class troopship?

Nah. Boring.

I wanted something more... explorer-ey, somehow, since the ship was basically a long-haul scout ship, at this point. Pathfinder. Adventurer. Pioneer.

Oh, Pioneer. I like that one.

So I quickly changed the name of the saved design to the Pioneer Freighter, and my two Airfields updated their build queues accordingly. Not that it was actually altering anything, besides the name of the file being loaded, but protocol is protocol, I guess.

The Advanced Airfield, so named because I wanted to keep with the theme already present, was going to take almost three minutes to build the large cargo ship.

Man, Progenitor Fabricators are bullshit.

The large carrier, which I decided to call the Voyager, had a predicted capacity of almost one thousand five hundred, divided into rooms for two to four people. It was an absolutely huge ship, and the Advanced Airfield I was building it on made up about 60% of my main base's size.

Even considering how big it was, it would still be slightly cramped, but it beat being killed by Lumes.

The only unfortunate thing was that if my estimates on the population of Elysion One were right, I'd need around one hundred of them. Which is why I'd sent out a bunch of my Fabricators to start clearing massive tracts of land to build more Advanced Airfields. No way in hell I was sitting here for five hours waiting for ships to build.

With just seven seconds left until the first Pioneer was ready to take off, I received another message from TSYGAN.

My people are getting ready to leave. I told them to bring only what they could carry with them. Where do you want them to meet?

I looked out over the slums from my perch on the edge of the cliff, measuring various distances using the incredibly bullshit Progenitor hypertech optics.

If you can get your people moving towards your Sokol, I'll make some room near there.

I sent the message off and then sent out the four Air Fabricators I had on hand to move into the slums. After a moment's thought, I began constructing some Advanced Air Fabricators to follow them. I didn't expect to need much building power in the slums, but it would probably help anyway.

---

As the first Advanced Air Fabricator took off across the ravine, followed shortly after by the first two Pioneers, my communicator pinged again.

I'm not sure how many people you'll fit on those ships of yours. I thought you were supposed to be evacuating the entire city?

Ignoring the not-so-subtle barb, I tried to think about the level the Sokol was based on. The roof of the plaza was easily big enough for the smaller ships to fit. They would have to be hovering, but with the amount of Progenitor hypertech engines installed, that wouldn't be an issue. All I'd need to do then would be clear out the walls and railings next to the Sokol so the Pioneers could put the access ramps down on the roof.

Workable. Not ideal, but workable.

These are the little ones. I've got bigger craft set up for the civilians.

The first four fabricators arrived, and through their cameras I took stock of the situation. The little plaza/balcony thing was there, from the game, separated from the Sokol only by a thin scaffold of wooden boards and corrugated iron panels. Just like in the game.

I had the Fabricators wipe the surface of the roof clear, making just enough room for two of my Pioneers to set down side by side.

That also gave them a chance to use their Fabricators to scan a copy of the rather cool looking tricycle that was parked on said roof. I hadn't bothered stealing designs for civilian vehicles, and the only reason I took it was because it looked cool, but it was still nice to have.

Once the roof was clear, I had the Fabricators build a Teleporter.

Not a full sized one - that would have been a little too big to fit on the roof. Instead I shrunk down the design, cutting the portal size from thirty metres across to five.

Still plenty big enough for my purposes.

Just because I was using ships to get the slum dwellers off-world didn't mean I had to park my ships in the slums.

Even as my Air Fabricators scurried about busily, I saw people beginning to leave their buildings. Stick thin and ragged looking, carrying backpacks, duffel bags, or small suitcases, they walked uncertainly towards the rooftop, gazing wearily at my low-flying green construction aircraft.

Damn, TSYGAN worked fast. Or maybe these people were so used to living on scraps and moving around short notice that for them it was just another Tuesday. A fair few of the people were armed - TSYGAN's Rats? Probably. They seemed to be doing a pretty good job of corralling the crowds and keeping them relatively calm. I wonder what TSYGAN told them?

The two Pioneers and the Advanced Air Fabricator arrived, engines flaring before dying down as the ships slowed to a hover above the site.

The Advanced Air Fabricator joined the other four Fabricators and in about three seconds, the Teleporter was complete.

I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with the Fabricators, honestly. My Kestrels were still raining hell on the Lumes, so I didn't really need them to build defensive turrets or anything like that.

I decided to do it anyway. Again, More Dakka never hurt anyone. Except the target. And having more automated turrets and walls around Brightholme to fend off the Lumes freed up my Kestrels for other duties.

I plotted out a quick course for my Fabricators and let them go, changing mental gears and checking up on my Kestrels. Still flying around, still blasting every Lume in sight. No issues.

The Pioneers would hold position over the rooftop. Honestly I should have held off on building them for a long while, but since they were there I decided to use them as flying turrets. Further insurance, nothing more.

---

Back at my 'main base', or rather the base I'd established when I'd first landed, another Teleporter was constructed next to my Advanced Airfield.

I'd need to build some ramps or staircases up onto the Airfield's landing pad, but that was a problem I could solve quickly. A couple seconds in design mode and I had the design mapped out, and the two Fabricators who'd built the Teleporter split off to complete that.

The Voyager, or the first one at least, was about half done. Another ninety seconds until it was complete.

Excellent.

Once the ramp was done, the two Fabricators moved to one side and created a Bot Factory.

Once that small construction finished, the Fabricators returned to working on the Voyager whilst the Factory began producing a small stream of Doxes.

---

Deep underneath the surface of the planet known as Loek III, a great beast stirred.

The first Titan, the youngest of their breed, had been killed.

The Invaders had much to pay for.

The great beast roared.

And the earth shook in response.

Last edited:
9 - Murphy's Law
In which things actually go wrong.

9 - Murphy's Law

In the game Planetary Annihilation, there's a nice announcer lady who gives you advice like 'Nuclear Launch Detected' and 'Enemy Commander Detected'.

It turns out that the various subroutines, such as the Radar subroutine, send those messages to me when they detect stuff.

And I can change what they're set to detect, so my Radar was now set to warn me of any Lume Titans.

It was just like playing the game, except my Radar kept screaming at me because -

'Warning - Lume Titan Detected'

Again?

Fuck. Fucking fucking fuck.

Now everything's gone wrong. I never should have said those stupid words.

Goddamn Murphy. He's an asshole.

Four - no, five now, - locations of large, unnatural seismic activity. Conveniently coinciding with five locations of drastically increased Lume activity.

More Titans.

Luckily, all five were still a long way from Elysion, and I immediately threw my remaining Hornet bombers at them. My Kestrels stayed where they were, providing cover fire and air support for the refugees still in Brightholme.

I fucked up, big time. Obviously by killing the first Titan I'd prompted the rest to get up early. I hadn't even started evacuation yet.

I quickly powered up the Teleporters, blue gateways bursting into life.

I sent the three Doxes I had through the Teleporter, noting that they barely fit under the shrunken frame.

Well, as long as they could get through I didn't really care.

The crowd on the other side of the portal seemed fairly apprehensive about the sudden appearance of giant robots, which was fair enough. I'd probably be worried too, in their position.

The Doxes turned to the crowds and through them, I spoke.

"Alright, everybody. Listen up. On the other side of this portal there is a ship. The rooms fit up to four - if you've got a bigger family or group than that, take two rooms. If you're on your own, wait until last. Anyone trying to sneak on board early will be forced to the back of the line. Understood?"

The crowd stared dumbly at the Doxes. The Rats, however, seemed to be paying some attention at least. Once I was done speaking, they started yelling out over the crowds.

The people began shuffling forwards towards the Teleporter, pushed forwards by the Rats who seemed to be eyeing me warily more than watching the crowd.

I left the actual organisation of the crowd in their possibly not-so-capable hands and turned back to my base.

The Doxes there, of which I now had several, formed two lines, effectively walling in a path from the Teleporter to the Airfield's ramp.

Nothing says 'walk this way' like a line of angry looking doombots.

Much as I wanted to micromanage the evacuation, I really didn't have much choice. I'd already told the crowds how many people to a room. I set up a counting routine on one of the Doxes at the base of the ramp, to keep track of how many people entered this ship and left it at that.

I had some more Titans to kill. Well, preferably I'd avoid killing them, but I definitely wanted a way to kill them if they reached the city before I was ready.

---

These Titans, unfortunately, proved somewhat harder to kill than the previous one.

They were smart enough to start attacking my craft straight away, and block any missiles aimed for their face by crossing their arms.

It certainly made for an interesting battle.

Well, calling it a battle was maybe a bit of an exaggeration. It was my Hornets buzzing around like the insects they were named after and being totally ineffective at causing damage whilst the Titans flailed vainly in an attempt to destroy them.

It would distract them, but probably not for long.

Not for long enough.

Well, actually, that was probably a lie.

After all, I had the Sokol's blueprints now, courtesy of TSYGAN.

And whilst hers was slow to charge and needed to drain multiple cores for power, mine could be modified with bullshit Progenitor hypertech to negate that.

And I could also build the things very, very quickly.

Well, compared to TSYGAN. They were still pretty big. Probably around... five and a half minutes, if it was being built by just one Advanced Air Fabricator. Something to think about.

Switching focus back to my main Commander body, I looked around the cliff I was on. Two Airfields, taking up most of the room. Currently building a Pioneer each, to bring my total to four.

And there was the Advanced Air Factory, currently building more Advanced Air Fabricators. I had six, now, assisting in the construction of the Pioneers.

I called them off, ordering them to reclaim the Advanced Air Factory. I needed that room for my new gun.

The Air Fabricators I'd sent into Brightholme proper were still flying around, building Laser Towers along the busier roads. Refugees would stare in awe as towers formed in seconds around them, before being pushed forwards by another surge of the crowd.

The Kestrels, meanwhile, who were now allowed to slack off slightly thanks to the presence of Laser Towers, began to spread further over the slums and into the city proper.

I appropriated two of the Kestrels and one of the Pioneers for a little reconnaissance mission and let the rest do their thing.

---

The blueprints for the Sokol were an absolute mess.

Comparing it to the Penetrator Turret, I could see that most of the vital components were simply upscaled, and everything else stripped away or discarded. The things people do to cut costs...

It was terribly inefficient compared to Progenitor hypertech, but it was still a plasma cannon supposedly capable of 'turning Elysion One into a crater', or so thought Haigan. That was fairly impressive, I guess.

I loaded up the design for the Doxes' plasma cannon as well, comparing all three blueprints. And then I got to work.

First, strip out the Sokol's capacitor and energy systems with the vastly superior Progenitor Energy Generator. Not only did that mean it didn't need to feed off a whole heap of Cores for power, but it was also capable of tapping into my Resource Grid and therefore charging... pretty much instantly. Progenitors? Bullshit.

Then, I replaced some other systems. The protruding rails were, in fact, magnetic rails for accelerating the plasma blast. Those were replaced. The energy field generator, which opened some interesting ideas for energy shields that I would have to look into, was likewise replaced with the Progenitor equivalent.

The cooling and ventilation systems were... totally unnecessary, since Progenitor hyptertech was apparently so close to 100% efficient, and their materials were so advanced, that the tiny amount of waste heat that did get through made no difference to the operation of the gun. I stripped those out, streamlining the design greatly.

And after a few rounds of going over the designs with a fine tooth comb and stripping the useless stuff out, I was left with the blueprints for a high power plasma cannon that, according to the physics simulations, could almost match the firepower of my nukes.

And it looked freaking awesome. Plus points for style.

I didn't want to kill the Titans, if I could help it. They weren't exactly the villains any more than the Brightsiders. But if push came to shove, I was more than capable of shoving right back.

I saved the design for my new toy and ordered my six Advanced Air Fabricators to begin construction where the Advanced Air Factory used to be.

Whilst they were doing that, I needed to think of a name.

Go ahead and suggest ideas. I have a name, but if I like yours better I'll use that instead. *kisses*

Last edited:
Awww kisses for us! <3

Anyway call it the boomer cuz it makes stuff go boom.

Seriously though maybe Astra would be better. Those are divine weapons of Hindu mythology.

You could call it Langmuir, sound good, remind me of Longinus and it's a surname of the scientist that named an ionized gas after blood plasma. Why not

You could call it Mjolnir, since plasma is pretty close to lightning.

R.Y.N.O. Assault Cannon.

Or you could send a message to Drich through whatever quantum-subspace-aether stuff you use and ask for a Maelstrom. :D

The Anger Management Device V2.0976
*Meanwhile, in an R&D department, a bald scientist scratches his head*

"I can't help but think we went wrong somewhere in the designs with this one..."

the sound of someone walking casually down the hall to his area is heard in the direction of the door. The scientist turns his head to see who is coming.

Another scientist, this one possessing a head of wavy blonde hair, pokes his head in the doorway, his face scrunched in a questioning expression.

"Hey Ted, you done with the final review on the AGMD yet? We should be getting it up to management soon so we can wrangle the big paycheck from them."

"Yeah, but... it's just... we started with a little squeezy toy thing, how is it a laser cannon now? shouldn't we just, say, have built a thing that didn't destroy what you pointed it at?"

"Ted, weren't you at the board meeting? Everyone agreed that those stress-ball things are so out of style. And this way anger is relieved and annoyances are gone. much more efficient this way."

"But... this doesn't make sense..."

"You saying you don't want one? Hey, Jen! Ted says the AGMD isn't right for the job!"

From down the hall, another voice is heard, "What?! did you not tell him about the laser? I bet he doesn't know about the laser."

The blonde haired scientists face slackened in realization, and he turned once more to face Ted.

"Yeah, Ted. You obviously didn't hear about the laser. Who could be angry after shooting a laser?"

Ted laid his head down on his desk. "I... but... fine. it's great. just great."

Back