Demons and Angels

FYI, the new chapter is taking quite some time due to personal illness. It is, thankfully, not COVID-19 (though the doc did send me for the test for it), but it has been disrupting my sleep schedule and making it harder to focus. Starting to get back into the swing, but IRL work comes first. Sorry.

As much as your fans would wish to think otherwise, RL always must come first. I, for one, will be happy to receive additional chapters when you feel able to provide them. I would be much happier with a well thought out, engrossing tale than a rushed, error-ridden narrative just so you could get your followers off your back ...

... anytime in the next 5 milliseconds will do nicely ... ;)

Agree with the spock I do, get better before writing you must. In all seriousness Take some time for yourself and get better your health comes first.

Last edited:
Status Update

So, this story is not dead. I'm also, thankfully, not dead, though living in the United States these days is a great big stress pile.

I began working on writing the next chapter, which was going to focus on the aftermath of what happened with the mirror universe. The problem that kept coming up is that the administrivia of fixing yet another version of Brockton Bay was, frankly, boring. The other issue is that the focus of the story, Sophia, isn't directly involved in a lot of it. The net result of that is that I'm going for a third rewrite that does a short time skip focused on Sophia. Hopefully, I'll have something within the next week or so to bridge to what I intended to be the wrest of the story.

Until then, thanks for reading!

It is gratifying that you are 'not dead'. ;)

Please take your time. I would much prefer a well thought out and well-edited chapter than one that is rushed and has too many errors.

Chapter 16: Preparations
Chapter 16: Preparations

Sophia juked to the left, dodging the energy blast. She had learned from earlier testing that her shadow state wasn't immune to everything. The Lizards had an annoying tendency to invent bizarre techno-magical bullshit that seemed able to penetrate even the most effective defenses. She rolled forward and shoved a blade into a node of electronics embedded in the wall, then nodded in satisfaction when the cannon stopped firing. The blade itself was another gift from the Family, being made of a weird memory metal that would reshape itself back to its original state, even after she materialized it inside another solid object. It let her save her crossbow bolts for actual ranged work...not that she was likely to run out of those. Her new crossbow actually had what seemed to be a near-infinite magazine of self-loading bolts. The weapon looked more like a normal handgun, using some type of advanced induction technology to send the bolts out instead of a string. Of course, she could have just carried a real gun...or one of a variety of ray guns from half-a-dozen universes, but the longer, slower bolts worked better with her power. While she could turn bullets to shadow, the hard part was bringing them back to reality at the right time. Energy weapons were even more problematic, with the effects of using her power being either underwhelming or unpredictable. Metis had given her the induction bow after a few experiments proved all of that out.

That kind of material support was just one of the reasons she had argued with her mom and dad that they should stay on board the Smug Advocacy. Both of her parents had been ready to retreat into the illusory safety of the familiar and return to Brockton Bay. Her mother had argued that with the changes to the PRT caused by the recent Cauldron battle, she should be safe from the repercussions of her flight from custody, and her father had been ready to join back up with the DWU (and the Undersiders) if that wasn't true. Thankfully, Metis had again helped her by convincing them both that she needed professional therapy...therapy in which her family should participate. Her father was very familiar with the effects of PTSD and other anxiety disorders thanks to his friends in the union. A lot of them were ex-military or came from similarly stressful backgrounds. He also knew that they wouldn't be able to afford therapy in Brockton Bay for long. With the high rates of cape crime, there was a huge demand for that type of service and a limited supply of qualified professionals in that particular city. The Family was offering them access to the Nox, a group of aliens that were apparently naturally good at helping people with their psychological issues. Literally, every person they asked who had ever met the Nox recommended them. Having people as diverse as Anya, Maggie, and Flint all sing their praises was enough to get her parents to agree. Her own initial reluctance had been overcome by Metis insisting from their first meeting after the battle that she needed to address her concerns before they overwhelmed her. The black lizard had told her in no uncertain terms that she would need to face her feelings about having to kill for the first time, regardless of what those feelings were. Neither crushing guilt nor blatant sociopathy was a desirable mental state. Metis had also pointed out that she was undoubtedly going to be reluctant to speak to a stranger because of the recent betrayal by her friend...something which the lizard seemed to know about in great detail, despite the fact that Sophia hadn't actually told anybody about those details.

Heading around the corner, Sophia paused. She could hear a slight electronic buzzing sound. She pulled a chewing gum wrapper out of her pocket, wadded it up into a tiny ball, and tossed it down the hallway. It flashed as it struck a force field of some kind and began to smolder. Running her hands over the walls, she got a feel for the electronics present. She could have just used the sensors built into her new costume, but Faith had told her that she should get used to relying on her own innate instincts rather than technology or magic whenever possible. You never knew when you would be stuck somewhere without gear or backup. Unfortunately, unlike the earlier energy cannon, there was no easy-to-locate control node for the force field. There were, however, a few spots in the wall that she could phase through into another corridor. Moving slowly and carefully, she did so. Another lesson from previous tests was that phasing back to normal too quickly could set off motion sensors, pressure plates, and other types of triggers. Hell, the onboard database had information on at least four different types of sensors that could easily detect her in her shadow state, though they were thankfully not common and tended to be based on very advanced technology. Maggie had also told her about a soul revealing spell that would light up her location to a mage like she was wrapped in Christmas lights.

Maggie and her friend, May Parker, had quickly "adopted" Sophia as she began to attend classes. While convincing her parents to stay had been difficult, getting them to allow her and Aaron to attend school once that decision was made was trivial. Her mother in particular was a stickler for education and didn't allow for many excuses. The woman insisted on a fever or other obvious symptoms before she would let her children claim a sick day. Having a headache or monthly cramps was not a valid excuse unless it was debilitating enough to see a doctor. Luckily, the difference between school on the ship and Winslow was like the difference between a high-end sweet shop and a hog trough filled with table scraps. There were teachers available on almost any subject, including a large number she would have considered works of fiction up until recently. Maggie and May had jumped in to help her navigate the options and clarified a few things. For somebody used to a state-set curriculum, the breadth of choice was a little overwhelming. On the other hand, she also didn't have to worry about missing out on a subject of interest, as she wasn't in a fixed degree program or paying for credit hours. She found herself actually looking forward to classes now, which was a novel experience for anybody who had attended Winslow.

A low, rough bark from down the hall drew her attention. The simulations sometimes included things like guard dogs as part of the challenge. She considered her options. She could pretty easily silence it with a crossbow bolt...and it wasn't like it was a real animal. They would deduct points from her score, though, if she killed it, and May would frown at her for, "shooting a harmless puppy." Said harmless puppy turned the corner, and this one looked to be an absolutely massive mastiff with cybernetic implants. Should she try to avoid it entirely, or just ghost through the animal? She decided on the latter, only to find that the dog simply followed her, snarling in frustration at its inability to rend her down into hamburger. Finally, she decided to move over several corridors and accept the consequences to her completion time from moving away from the most direct path to the exit.

It was May who had suggested she start using the so-called "Danger Room" simulations to practice her powers. Sophia's mother had been slightly hesitant, but her father was fully in favor of her learning to get a handle on her cape abilities in a safe environment. As proof of safety, Aaron had actually run through an AI-generated challenge that focused on a level of athleticism and problem solving that was suitable to an above-average human boy of his age. He had thought it was great fun and was even trying to convince his mother to let him study magic so that he could increase the difficulty level. The woman was hesitant, though Sophia thought most of it came down to many years of going to a fairly conservative church when she was a child. She should probably tell Aaron to bring it up during one of the sessions with the Nox. Seeing what they had to say on the topic would probably be interesting, and possibly amusing.

Her current path ended in a wall with a ladder going up to another level. That was fairly uncommon, and it made her wonder if they were ramping up the challenge as she got better at the simulations. At the top of the latter, she paused to carefully look around the room at the top. Inside, there were three figures standing silently in dark cloaks. All three were facing away from the top of the ladder as if they were guarding the other entrance. There was a door on the far wall. It was pretty obvious that she was supposed to make her way through the room to the door. She considered the problem. This was completely new, so she had no idea what the guardians were or what they could do. She suspected that she wouldn't be able to just shadow through them, though. With a shrug, she pulled out her bow and sighted in on the back of one of the cloaked heads, then pulled the trigger. The bolt hit perfectly, but it didn't seem to have much of an effect other than alerting the three that they were under attack. The three turned to face her as one.

"What the fuck?" she said out loud. The three...creatures...in the cloaks looked like emaciated corpses with empty eye sockets and gaping mouths. Now that they were facing her, she could also see that they were hovering over the ground. They began moving toward her intently. "Yeah...no," she said. She slid down slightly on the ladder and pushed herself out into open air, turning to shadow to slow her fall. As she was drifting to the ground, the robed figures began drifting down through the opening at the top of the ladder. They could fly. Of course. Something about the weird zombie-like figures seemed vaguely familiar, but she couldn't quite pull up the information from memory. She reverted back to her physical state and dropped quickly to the ground, making sure to land in a safe manner. Thankfully, despite being able to fly, the undead monsters weren't especially fast. Of course, now she had to back-track even further through the course, only now she had both the creepy flyers and the cyber-pooch after her.

Her encounter with the fantasy-novel rejects reinforced for her that there was a lot of weird shit in the multiverse. Her parents weren't wrong about the dangers the Family and their associates encountered, so much as they had a tendency to lower the perceived risk of the familiar. Their own world had Endbringers, and villains like Butcher and Lung, and their own hometown had a group of Nazis with super-powers. Was that really any safer than universes with Braniac, the Borg, or HYDRA? Plus, wasn't it common sense that if you couldn't be the baddest badass in the room, then you should hang with the one who was? The Family was pretty much the ultimate badass of badasses. They didn't even have to play at being serious all the time because they were so untouchable. The fact that they seemed to be genuinely decent and helpful people was a huge plus in her book. One of the things Metis had explained to her in their post-fight talk was that the Family could have easily nuked Contessa from orbit, but that would have meant writing off Bad Canary, and Marquis' daughter, and Dragon's creator-slash-father, and the lizards would go out of their way to avoid that if possible. It was a nice change in approach from the pragmatic bloody-mindedness of her universe's PRT and Protectorate.

And hadn't that been all kinds of fucked up? Official policy had been that anybody captured by the Slaughterhouse Nine was treated as already dead, only it seemed like that was just an excuse to use lethal force against anybody who might be helping one of the most effective anti-Protectorate cape teams in the country. One of the things Tagg was doing now that he had replaced Costa-Brown was rebranding the group and covering up the fact that the S9 members weren't actually villains. A few months ago, she might have called bullshit on that kind of lie, even if it was for a good cause. May had pointed out to her that the whole secret identity deal for capes in several different universes was based entirely on secrets and misinformation, and changing cape identities simply wasn't that big a deal. Hell, the Undersiders were going by the name, "Brockton Bay Brigade," now. Kind of lame, in Sophia's opinion, but they were obviously trying to make a go of being a Protectorate-affiliated hero team and didn't need the gang associations of their old name. Ianthe had apparently found the name absolutely hilarious, but nobody would tell the teen why.

Sophia stopped as she came to an intersection of corridors that had a pillar with a terminal in the middle of it. She groaned a bit. This could be another goddamned logic puzzle. Sammy just loved to throw in mental challenges on top of the normal combat and evasion stuff. They were not her favorite thing, but she hadn't had much luck convincing the AI that they weren't necessary. If anything, the ship's avatar had convinced her that including them was almost certainly to her benefit, even if she didn't particularly enjoy them. Trudging up to the terminal, she read what was on the screen. "Mr. and Mrs. Smith have seven daughters. Each daughter has one brother. How many people are in the Smith family?" That was pretty lame for a riddle. It was more like an extra-credit story problem from elementary school. She typed the correct answer, ten, into the terminal. The screen went blank...but nothing happened. She stood there, tapping her foot, waiting for some sign of progress. It wasn't until she heard the rustle of cloth behind her that she realized she had been punked.

"Crap!" she said and turned around, only to find one of the cloaked figures standing right behind her. Her gasp of shock quickly turned into a flash of annoyance when the creature froze and a familiar voice said, "Simulation objective failed." Dejectedly, she headed toward the exit door that suddenly appeared in the wall. As usual, Sammy was waiting for her in the observation room.

The blonde avatar regarded her with a bland look. "You weren't paying attention in there."

Sophia frowned. "Yeah, that's fair. I was preoccupied with thinking about things. So, what else did I do wrong?"

"What do you think?" asked Sammy.

The girl mentally reviewed her progress through the maze-like simulation. "I let the dog and the creepy flying things herd me into different parts of the maze. I tried attacking one of the robed things without knowing anything about them. Hm...and I didn't keep situational awareness while I was answering the riddle."

"Did somebody say my name?" said a male voice from the direction of the doorway. Sophia looked over to see an older teen boy standing there.

Sammy smirked. "No, Tom. We were talking about a word puzzle that Sophia ran into in the maze. Speaking of which, why did you even try answering it?" The last was directed at the girl in question.

The question threw Sophia for a loop. "Um...wasn't it part of the challenge?"

"Of course it was," said Sammy. "It was present in the simulation. However, was it in any way blocking your progress?"

With a grimace, Sophia realized that there hadn't been any kind of force field, or even a locked door, anywhere near the terminal. "It was a distraction, wasn't it?"

"Pretty much. Nothing would have happened if you had just ignored it. Now, as for the dementors, the ladder was supposed to be a clue for you," continued the AI.

Sophia was struggling to see how getting into the room via ladder was supposed to be a clue. Now that Sammy said the creatures' name, the teen could recall that they were from the Harry Potter series of movies. Fantasy wasn't really her thing, but she could remember that much...although given the reality of her new life, learning about fantasy monsters probably now fell into the realm of tactical intelligence instead of a nerdy hobby.

With a degree of sympathy and a wince, Tom said, "You tried to attack a dementor? I can't imagine that went well, especially if you're not a witch. Frankly, even trained practitioners have trouble with those abominations." It was clear the boy was familiar with the creatures, and his reaction just reinforced the fact that they were likely a quite-real threat in at least one universe.

"The clue," continued Sammy, ignoring Tom's comment, "was to get you thinking in more than two dimensions. You can phase through solid matter. That isn't limited to walls and doors."

The girl frowned. "I've phased through floors and ceilings before."

"I know," agreed Sammy with a nod. "Despite that, you didn't think to do it to avoid an unknown threat that was deliberately intended to be impossible to defeat through conventional means. You are correct, of course, in saying that you shouldn't attack something when you have absolutely no idea what it can do. Having said that, why didn't you attack the guard dog? It was a much more conventional threat?" Unlike the dementors, the dog wouldn't have survived a bolt to the brain.

"I didn't want the point penalty," she replied, realizing as she said it that it was a lame excuse.

The AI actually frowned. "You were treating it as a game, and as a result, you ended up in a much more dangerous situation. If you were actually a field agent, then that kind of behavior would get you a substantial censure with an appropriately unpleasant punishment."

"Are you training to be a field agent?" asked Tom, clearly interested.

The question surprised Sophia, as she hadn't really thought about what she would do after school. "I'm still in high school. I just started using the Danger Room because my friend May suggested it. Capes in my universe have a need to use their powers, although the Family can compensate for that a bit."

"I'm not sure I understand?" said the teen boy.

Sammy explained. "Powers in Sophia's universe are effectively super-science driven by cross-dimensional computing devices. The beings that distributed them were doing so as part of a massive experiment, so they were hardwired to get their hosts to want to use them. In truth, they were designed to promote conflict, but the Family has been able to tone down the increased aggression and bull-headedness caused by those directives. The drive to use them still exists, however, and it can be unhealthy to ignore it." There was even evidence that powers would manifest themselves against the will of the host if that host tried to ignore them.

"Interesting," said Tom, seemingly sincerely. "In some ways, it sounds like magic. In many cases, magic wants to be used. In my own home universe, it led to a degree of laziness on the part of witches and wizards who tend to solve all of their problems with magic. Magical children also tend to manifest accidental magic and need to be taught control. It's one of the reasons I come here to use the Danger Room. I don't want to get complacent or lazy about my abilities."

Sophia smirked. "I'm trying to do the same thing by not using most of the gear the Family has given me in case I wind up in a situation where I don't have it."

"You need to mix that up some more," commented Sammy. "While it's a good idea to not get too reliant on gear, you still need to learn how to use it all to best effect. You also need to consider what additional gear could be helpful. Soporific bolts or some containment foam grenades would have made your encounter with the cybernetic canine a non-issue." The AI smiled. "Just because you're not training to be a field agent doesn't mean you wouldn't be considered for that role in the future. Now, I think Tom wants to use the facilities."

Sophia nodded and said, "Right. Sorry to take so long."

He smiled. "No worries. I was a little early. I'm Tom Riddle, by the way. Wizard extraordinaire."

"Sophia Hess, superhero," she said, also smiling at how ridiculous it all sounded when said out loud in casual conversation.

"You're Maggie Dresden's friend, right?" asked Tom. "I think I've heard her mention you before."

"You know Maggie?" she asked.

"Of course. She's a very talented witch, which I guess isn't surprising given who her father is. She's in a number of my advanced classes," he said. "Well, it's a pleasure to finally meet you, but I should get started before I burn through my simulation time."

Sophia took her leave, making a note to quiz Maggie about Tom. The boy was kind of a hottie, so she wondered why her friend had never mentioned him. There was fodder there for friendly teasing that she would have to share with May. Luckily, talking about boys seemed to be a cross-universal constant for teen girls.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

The being in the cell was sitting placidly. Mentally, the human-appearing woman was possessed by a cosmic intelligence, albeit one limited by being mostly dead and forced to interact with the world through a flesh puppet of limited capability. The body itself used to belong to a girl named Fortuna, a girl who had been unfortunate enough to be pulled into a multi-dimensional play crossing millennia of time. There was little, if anything, left of the human being that used to live there. Taylor thought that aspect was sad, but there was little that could be done in this universe. Perhaps there was a reality where the girl had been allowed to grow into an adult and live a normal life? That seemed likely, given an infinite multiverse.

This was the second visit that Taylor and Varga had made to their prisoner. The first visit had been focused on clarifying much of what the Family thought they knew about how the entities operated during their cycle, and how powers were deployed and tweaked to ensure that they worked properly with their hosts. Unfortunately, it became clear that the members of Eden's species weren't above preying on each other, one consequence being that knowledge was sometimes lost due to battle damage or death. The damage to Eden from her crash landing was also significant, and any backups of data held by her were destroyed with Scion. That meant that there were some significant gaps in her knowledge. There was a reason why Cauldron had had to experiment with alternate ways to grant powers, after all. The entities also had no qualms about treating other species as lab animals. The morality of their species placed little value on the individual...and no value at all on the members of other species. The concept of genocide was understood, but there was no moral assessment associated with it. From Eden's perspective, it was natural behavior for species to want to continue to exist, but that was irrelevant if it conflicted with her needs and she had the ability to overpower their resistance. Her surrender to Varga was largely a calculation of relative power, as well as the fact that she would require assistance to complete her objective. Doing so was the topic of today's meeting.

"Your species must have had some means for sharing the results of your experimentation, assuming an answer was found?" asked Varga. They were present in the form of Saurial for this conversation, but Varga was taking the lead. It was obvious from the start that the being in front of them simply couldn't fathom that Taylor would play a dominant, or even an equivalent, role in her relationship with Varga. She would address the demon even if Taylor was the one speaking.

"Of course we did. However, that information has been lost to us," she replied.

"During your accident upon arrival?"

Contessa's face scrunched up in a disturbingly human way. "That is unclear. I am unable to recall whether that data was available upon arrival or not. I only know that there have been events prior to my accident that have resulted in the loss of important information."

Saurial raised an eyebrow. "Wouldn't information necessary for the completion of your mission be well protected, and wouldn't you store that information elsewhere for safekeeping?"

The woman considered the question. "Even high-priority data would rate below personal survival in importance, so a sufficiently dangerous threat could result in its loss. As for whether or not that information is archived anywhere, I do not know. Likely, it was considered unnecessary, as we could simply search for another member of our species and they would likely still possess that knowledge."

"Isn't approaching another member of your species potentially dangerous, even for you?" It was clear that they sometimes fought with each other over resources and data.

"We have protocols for communication. There are ways to try to initiate a trade, and we can also indicate that we need to discuss a factor critical to our overall mission. Of course, that would assume that the two who meet are in their travel forms. I have no way to do this as I am now..." She gestured down to her human body to illustrate the point.

That was an interesting problem. "Would your race respond to a member of another species who attempted to communicate with the proper protocols?"

"That is unlikely. It is far more likely that we would think you had defeated one of us and was using the knowledge you gained to lay a trap for more. We have little reason to communicate with lesser species outside of experimental protocols. It would make you a high-priority target, as you would be a proven threat to our species." There was no hesitation in her response, suggesting that this scenario was not completely novel to her.

'That is going to be a problem,' thought Taylor.

'Yes. While we could undoubtedly facilitate Eden's recovery to her original state, I think that would be unwise for a variety of reasons,' replied Varga.

Taylor pondered the alternatives. They could always simply kill Eden, and that might eventually prove necessary in any event. They had, however, made a good faith agreement to try and end their cycle of experimentation, a cycle that was undoubtedly the cause of trillions of casualties over the eons. Being unable to communicate with the rest of her kind, though, was a serious constraint. Their best chance might be tracking down some of Eden's lost data, but trying to trace back the movements of Eden and Scion wouldn't likely be possible. Consuming worlds for fuel tended to destroy anything left behind, and made plotting a reverse trajectory problematic at best. There weren't many breadcrumbs to follow. However... 'I wonder if Eden knows of worlds that they have visited but not destroyed?'

Varga understood what she was asking and conveyed the question to the entity.

"Yes, there are seventeen different civilizations that fall into the category. Nine of them are marked as unsuitable for experimentation. Two of them contained primitive species with abilities that were viewed as threatening and were exterminated, but their worlds remain intact. Three were sufficiently advanced that including them in the cycle would be dangerous. I do not have data on the remaining two," replied Contessa.

"Can you provide us with the information you have on those civilizations? Tracing your path back may help us find means to communicate with the other members of your species."

Contessa nodded. "I will enter the information I have into the device you provided." The cell contained a terminal that provided read-only access to the local Internet, as well as allowing her to type up information for later review by the Family and their associates. One slightly amusing revelation was that Path to Victory could apparently turn its host into a blindingly fast touch typist simply by asking for the path to most quickly input the information. That discovery had led to an interesting debate on how much Über's power depended upon precognition. Leet had been of the opinion, based on past experience with his friend's power, that it allowed him to absorb knowledge that he would learn studying the topic in a possible future timeline. Metis had thought that part of it was also adjusting Randall's body for things like muscle memory and physical reactions based upon a potential future state, as some of that was reliant on physical conditioning.

Saurial nodded. "We will review the data once you have submitted it, and will devise a strategy for attempting to locate and communicate with your counterparts." If nothing else, it would provide them with a deeper understanding of how the power-granting aliens regularly functioned. Eden's descriptions of these other civilizations also meant they should prove to be interesting in and of themselves, even if they didn't provide any clues to help their search for a solution.

Contessa just nodded and immediately went over to the terminal to begin typing. Slightly bemused at the lack of social niceties (despite expecting it), Taylor and Varga simply left to go speak with Lisa.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Captain Thogod-phamm of the Kree armed scout designated DG-23 was masterfully concealing how bored he was. It would be inappropriate to show any sign of that to his two subordinates on the ship's bridge. Sadly, that couldn't actually stop him from feeling said boredom. This section of the Empire was heavily patrolled and populated largely by a mercantile-focused client species that had been part of the Empire since close to its founding. The fact that they weren't Kree explained the heavy patrols, but the Brz'anti were the example used whenever somebody wanted an example of a loyal and servile client race. They were quite literally used as an example in military academy textbooks. Their space was also quite distant from the territory of any of the other major powers in the galaxy. The most exciting thing to happen along this patrol route in recent memory was a harshly worded dispute between two merchants over docking precedence. Thogod-phamm was starting to question the wisdom of his acceptance of this posting. Captaincy of an armed scout had sounded like a better, more exciting deal than it was turning out to be. He should have learned more about what his regular routine would be like before accepting.

"Anomalous sensor reading in sector AJJS," said the crewman responsible for sensors and weapons. "The computer has flagged it as a possible drive signature."

The Captain was skeptical of the computer's accuracy. The last three items the computer had flagged as a possible drive signature had been an asteroid with an unusual mineral composition, a discarded sensor buoy, and starlight passing through a particularly dense nebula. If this was also a false positive, then he was going to send a scathingly-worded message to the starship design bureau suggesting that they fix their pattern-matching algorithms. Despite his reservations about the accuracy of his ship's systems, he had to follow proper procedures. "Helm, plot a course toward the anomaly. Let me know when we can clearly identify the source."

The expected acknowledgments came, and the captain sat back in the command chair, pondering if he could possibly turn his sensor issues into a trip to an actual naval depot. If nothing else, the bars there would be better. The damned locals didn't even drink alcohol that was palatable to a Kree.

"Captain...I'm unable to find the source of the signal," said the sensor operator.

That was unusual, but possibly not a real problem. "Run a diagnostic on the sensors," he ordered.

The crewman did as he was ordered, then shook his head. "The diagnostic confirms everything appears to be working properly."

Thogodd-phamm was about to order a standard search pattern when something flickered into visibility momentarily on the viewscreen, which was on its default setting, showing the forward camera view. His eyes widened. "Fire a targeting beam at that spot!"

A relatively low-powered laser painted that area of space, and it became clear that something was there, though covered by some type of cloak. "Battle stations!" yelled the captain.

Their unexpected quarry evidently determined that they had been detected, as the cloaking field dissipated. The ship that was revealed was not Kree, but it also wasn't a known type from any of the other major powers like the Skrull or the Shi'ar. On first look, it appeared to be a large, slightly wedge-shaped craft with a black hull that was many times larger than the scoutship. It also had a number of obvious weapons emplacements, many of which were already pointing in the direction of the Kree vessel.

There was a flare of light and a loud noise that quickly cut off. While Thogodd-phamm's pressure suit saved him from dying immediately when the bridge vented its atmosphere into space, it did little to stop the super-heated plasma that vaporized his body shortly thereafter. The Kree naval vessels who were later investigating the disappearance of DG-23 were unable to determine the cause of its disappearance, and no trace of the ship was ever found.

Asti's monitoring programs in the Kree network flagged and reported the incident, of course, but one missing Kree scout wasn't enough to draw the attention of the Dragon clan. It would take some time before a pattern of such incidents began to emerge.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

"Hey, Dad!" said May to the image of her father smiling at her from the terminal.

"May! It's good to hear from you." His smile flickered slightly as he asked, "you're still coming home for Spring Break, right?"

"Yah," she said with a grin. "I wanted to know if it's OK if I invite Sophia and Maggie to come with, though?"

Now her father looked slightly surprised. "Sophia is the new girl who comes from that Brockton Bay alternate, right?" Oddly enough, that city didn't seem to exist in any of the Marvel universe alternates...at least not any that Reed had identified...so it made a convenient way of referring to that chunk of the multiverse.

"That's right. I figured she would like to see our version of New York City. Her universe has comics of ours," explained the teen. Some of the books about her father were riotously funny, but she had already used up most of the teasing potential with her parents in previous conversations.

"Yes, I remember," said Peter Parker. His complete lack of a secret identity during his cross-dimensional jaunts had been quite memorable. He considered his daughter's request. The threat that had initially convinced him and MJ to send May to the Family for schooling was no longer an issue. While New York City could still be dangerous, it wasn't like any version of Brockton Bay was safe by comparison. He turned his head and called out, "Hey honey! Do you have any problem with May bringing a couple of friends with her on break?"

Mary Jane was soon poking her head through the door to his den, taking a second to push a strand of red hair out of her eyes. "Sure, the more the merrier. I assume one of them is Maggie Dresden?"

"Yeah, and her new friend, Sophia," confirmed Peter.

His wife simply nodded, so he turned back to her daughter and said, "As long as Sophia's parents are OK with it, then we're OK with it." He didn't have to ask about Maggie. Harry and Karrin Dresden were old friends...and they wouldn't have any trouble getting to Maggie if an emergency did happen to occur.

"Cool, thanks, Dad! How are things going with work?" asked his daughter, now that her main reason for calling was settled to her satisfaction.

Peter rolled his eyes. "The usual. Victor and Reed are being childish with each other still. Tony managed to insult the ambassador from the Aakon, though in his defense the guy was being an insufferable jerk about our negotiations with the Kree. Things in the city have mostly been quiet. Your mother took down Rhino last week!" The last was said with a hint of pride.

"Peter!" His wife yelled from the other room. "You know Aleksei was being blackmailed!"

May's father shrugged. "I know! I didn't say I blamed him, but you still took him down by yourself. That's not easy."

May could hear her mother mutter, "I don't think he was trying that hard..." She couldn't help but giggle at her parents.

Her mother yelled, "Ask May if Sophia has any dietary requirements or other restrictions!"

"Right," nodded Peter. "Also, any power interactions or concerns? What is her power, anyway?"

"As far as I know, she eats anything and isn't religious or anything. Her power is kind of like Shadowcat. I know she reacts badly to electric currents in that state. Also, she's got FamTech gear. I don't know if she'll bring it with her, though," replied May with some thought.

"Better do so. Otherwise, she's just taunting Murphy," replied her Dad. Every member of the Parker family learned that assuming you wouldn't need something just meant it would be critically important in the near future. Their own FamTech costumes included a fairly comprehensive utility belt, something he had neglected during his initial forays as a hero, often to his detriment.

May nodded at her father's suggestion. "Will do. I'll be sure to mention it to her."

"Does she have any field experience?" asked Peter, thinking about some of the problems super-powered teens caused in their world without adequate supervision.

"Some," said May. "She was on the ground when they took down her world's version of Cauldron, and she grew up in Brockton Bay. She's also been running through the Danger Room sims on the ship."

"Well, better than nothing," said her father. "We'll see what she makes of the Big Apple in our world."

The two continued to share news for a bit, but May didn't linger, given that she would be seeing her family soon. After signing off with her father, she called both of her friends to give them the good news. This was going to be the best Spring Break ever!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

In an unbreakable metal box at the bottom of the ocean, Leviathan was running through mathematics equations in his head. He was bored. His boredom was finally interrupted when he felt a mental contact from his sister and eagerly responded. This was the third time she had reached out to him since his imprisonment, and he asked the usual question. Unfortunately, she replied that they still had no safe way to contact the only person who could resolve Leviathan's captivity.

His sister did have one idea, though. She was able to transmit human signals in a way that would allow Leviathan to view their content. The (former) Endbringer was soon puzzling his way through a piece of human entertainment with the baffling title, "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy." It was unclear what relationship geometry had to human skin coverings, or why the man's coverings were unacceptable for social interaction. Was the presence of writing on the torso covering giving away some tactical weakness? Humans were very strange. One of the suggested outfits did combine colors that reminded Leviathan of the ocean, which proved to be strangely soothing. Perhaps he should experiment with wearing decorative coverings? Assuming he someday managed to obtain his freedom, he would have to see what his sibling thought of the idea.

Last edited:
Yes, that would be Ack's Security. The protagonist actually suckered her into shooting him with a crossbow in his stab vest before taking her down and wrapping her up in Xmas lights. He then proceeded to gift Taylor with a poster of it for her birthday.
And since he was recording the entire confrontation, Sophia went down hard.

IIRC, it also happened in RHJunior's "Ladybird" - in that one, Taylor's "trigger event" resulted in her turning into a unicorn, who proceeded to toss Sophia and Emma around like ragdolls for a bit before Armsmaster and the others showed up.

I feel as if Leviathan's entertainment is a bad transliteration, but I can't guess at what it might be. Obviously I'm scared to search it, if that is actually the name...

Thank you for the latest addition to your story. After such a long time I found it initially hard to recall the storyline but was able to reintegrate into the tale soon enough.

Omake: Ox with an Ad
Omake: Ox with an Ad

The portal was intended to deposit the travelers at ground level at their destination. Unfortunately, "ground level" was a bit arbitrary when the target was the deck of a moving ship. As it was, Sophia and Tom stumbled as they dropped about eight inches to where the swaying deck was currently located, leading to a combined shout of, "What the hell?" and, "Oh, bollocks!" as the two flumphed onto the deck.

"Damn it, Tom," Sophia said with a groan as she pushed one of his legs off of hers. "I thought you said that portal spell was safe?"

"It is safe, for a certain definition of safe...and anyway...oh, hello there?" replied Tom.

Sophia looked up straight into the eyes of a fairly handsome, blue-eyed man dressed as a stereotypical pirate, complete with a feathered tricorn hat, eyepatch, and rapier. Standing next to him was what was best described as a humanoid dragon covered in golden scales. That standing within ten feet of a giant reptile-man seemed perfectly normal to her probably said something about her lifestyle.

"Here now, what's this?" said the pirate. "Who are you, and how did you get on my ship?" His accent was English like Tom's, though slightly more pronounced given the amount of time Tom spent with Americans.

Tom pushed himself over until he was sitting up. "Ah, yes, well, you see my name is Tom Riddle, and this is my compatriot, Sophia Hess. As for how we got here, I opened a portal to bring us here. Where is here, by the way?"

The pirate looked at Tom rather skeptically. "A portal? You don't happen to know anybody named Binbag, do you?"

Tom and Sophia glanced at each other. Sophia just shrugged. "I'm sorry, we don't know who that is," replied Tom.

The pirate grunted. "Good. I'm the captain of this ship, the Joyful Damnation, Corazón de Ballena." Sophia heard Tom mutter quietly, "Heart of the whale?" The pirate apparently didn't notice. He gestured toward the dragon man. "This is Egbert the Careless. That over there," he continued, pointing at a green-hued man further down the deck who was fiddling with a lute, "is Dob, the half-orc bard." Looking back at Egbert, de Ballena prompted, "Egbert, do you want to get the others?"

The dragon-man shrugged and said, "Yeah, all right." He also sounded English, for some reason.

Sophia dragged herself to her feet, a task that was made slightly more difficult by the swaying of the deck. The current crew appeared to have their sea legs, which annoyed her slightly even though she knew it shouldn't. In fact, the half-orc got up to his feet rather smoothly and started to strum his lute as he headed toward them. Weirdly enough, she recognized the tune he was playing. How the hell did a musician in a world like this learn Vengabus?

Egbert soon was back with a demonic-looking woman with deep red skin, horns, and a tail. She appeared to be petting what looked like a book with teeth, which was purring rather loudly. For some reason, the dragon-man was also dragging a rather plump seal by the tail. The animal didn't seem to want to come along and kept making disquieting sounds that were weirdly emotive.

de Ballena gave the dragon-man an exasperated look. "Why did you bring Seal Gaimon instead of Merilwen?"

"He was trying to get into the scotch eggs barrel, again," said Egbert. The seal said, "blarmf." It was glaring at Egbert. "Also, Merilwen is under the ship again."

The pirate shook his head. "Well, she'll have to catch up later. Anyway, the last two members of our guild of adventurers are Merilwen, a wood elf druid who likes to hang out as an octopus hanging onto the keel, and our warlock, Prudence." He indicated the red-hued woman.

The referenced woman asked, "Who are these strange visitors, and do I smell a quest in the air?"

"Sorry, I think that was me," muttered Dob apologetically.

"We're looking for information," interjected Sophia before the weirdness could continue. "Tom's spell was supposed to take us to somebody who knew something about a dark god."

Tom winced. "Soph, a warlock is somebody who has made a pact with an eldritch power."

Well...that sucked. So, she may have just blurted out their mission to somebody who would try to fight them on it. She really needed to work on her patience. May was no doubt going to tease her mercilessly for this when Tom told her.

"Well," said Prudence, seemingly unoffended, "which dark god are we talking about? There are quite a lot of them. Assuming it's not Cthuhlu, I can ask him about it."

"I could always petition La Vache Mauve about it, too," added Egbert.

Tom looked as if he was about to ask Egbert for clarification about something, then shook his head like it wasn't important. "Well, it isn't Cthuhlu...wait, are you saying you serve Cthuhlu?" This was said cautiously to the devilish-appearing woman.

Now it was her turn to shrug. "Pretty much. It's more of a sponsor relationship."

"And you're not insane?" asked Tom.

"Prudence is possibly the sanest member of our party, albeit one of the most horrifying," replied Dob.

Prudence smiled at the half-orc. "Thank you, Dob!"

Well, thought Sophia, if you're in for a penny, you're in for a pound, as Tom liked to say. "The god is named Ladsencaldar."

Rather surprisingly, all of the gathered adventurers groaned...including the seal. The pirate said, "Yes, we've dealt with that stag god in the past. Some cultists hired us to take them on a stag do cruise and tried to raise him up, so we ran the Joyful Damnation straight into him. It took weeks to get the deer bits off of all the rigging."

Confused, Sophia asked, "What's a stag do cruise?"

"A stag do is what you Americans would call a bachelor party," explained Tom. "So, you hit him with the ship?"

"Yep!" said Dob. "It was just like the ballad of Ursula and Prince Eric! Speared him right through."

Ursula and Prince Eric? Why did that sound familiar? Sophia was about to ask when Tom said, "Really? Well, that's a relief."

"Wait, so he's already dead?" she asked.

Tom shook his head. "Only in this world, but it sounds like Ladsencaldar isn't immune to raw force, and I don't think we'll have any trouble with that."

Sophia nodded. Brute force happened to be a Family specialty, though one they only had to use infrequently, oddly enough.

"Thank you, you've all been very helpful," said Tom. He pulled out a purse from his belt and said, "Allow us to reward you for your assistance."

Corazón smiled and said, "We're always happy to help strangers in return for large piles of gold!"

"Assuming Dob doesn't throw it in the lake, again," muttered Egbert.

Tom tossed the pouch over to the pirate. "Don't worry," said Tom, "there's quite a lot in there. It's a mokeskin pouch."

Sophia took in the blank looks of the adventurers at that. "It's a bag of holding," she explained.

"Ohhh!" said all four of the others in harmony. Even the seal nodded.

The two travelers were soon on their way, nothing but a footnote in the tales of the Oxventurer's Guild as they headed back to Necropolis-on-Sea. As the portal closed, a writhing mass of tentacles pulled itself over the side of the ship. That mass soon transformed into a slightly damp wood elf.

"Did I miss anything?" asked Merilwen.

Prudence shook her head. "Just a minor sidequest."

"It was a callback to the Ship Happens adventure," added Dob.

"Ooh, are we doing salsa night again?" asked the elf, looking hopefully at a certain dragonborn paladin.

Egbert rolled his eyes. "I guess I can mix up another batch."

Merilwen did her happy dance, so Dob started playing and singing again. "We like, we like to party..."

Back on Sineya Station, Sophia put her head in her hands when Metis explained the Ursula and Prince Eric reference. The multiverse was a weird place.

Last edited:
I'm ashamed to admit it took me until Corazon introduced himself for me to recognize the cross. Before that I only had the certitude I knew it but couldn't pin down what exactly it was...

I have to admit, that group of adventurers would be at home with this version of the Family... Though Kaiju might have to have a few words with the skeleton crew...

"Damn it, Tom," Sophia said with a grown as she pushed one of his legs off of hers. "I thought you said that portal spell was safe?"
A grown what? She said it with a grown platypus? That'd be... interesting. Definitely interesting.

Sophia looked up straight into the eyes of a fairly handsome, blue-eyed man dressed as a stereotypical pirate, complete with a feathered tricorn hat, eyepatch, and rapier.
Hmm. Stare into eyes 1 and 2, and notice the eye patch. Houston, we have a problem. Or we have a psychic who's opened his third eye.

"Sorry, I think that was me," muttered Dob apologetically.
Probably the Scotch Eggs. Love them things, I do.

Tom tossed the pouch over to the pirate. "Don't worry," said Tom, "there's quite a lot in there. It's a mokeskin pouch."
This! This is why so many fantasy worlds have a hammered economy. People vastly overpaying for minor work. You show up, they answer one question that doesn't even require research; that's worth not more than 2 GP per present (as in right there, right now) party member. AND A BAG OF HOLDING!!!

Last edited:
A grown what? She said it with a grown platypus? That'd be... interesting. Definitely interesting.

Yes, that is a hazard of spell check and homonyms. I have corrected it.

Hmm. Stare into eyes 1 and 2, and notice the eye patch. Houston, we have a problem. Or we have a psychic who's opened his third eye.

Corazon actually has two eyes. He changes the side his eyepatch is on to suit his mood. He probably had it flipped up when they met.

This! This is why so many fantasy worlds have a hammered economy. People vastly overpaying for minor work. You show up, they answer one question that doesn't even require research; that's worth not more than 2 GP per present (as in right there, right now) party member. AND A BAG OF HOLDING!!!

Varga matter conjuration and mathemagic effectively enable RPG economics in real life. The pouch and all of its contents can literally be conjured out of nothing at will. In a way, it's like being a writer. Step 1: Invent stuff in your head. Step 2: Write it down. Step 3: Edit out the stupid bits. Step 4: Profit!

Chapter 17: Seeing the Sights
Chapter 17: Seeing the Sights

The three teens stepped through the event horizon and into what was obviously an enclosed welcome area. Waiting for them was a man who Sophia didn't think was old enough to be May's father. That impression was reinforced by the fact that he was holding the hand of a young toddler. May immediately launched herself at the two and grabbed them in a hug.

"Dad! Benjy! You came to pick us up!" said the red-head.

"May!" called out the little boy with a happy smile as he hugged her leg.

The man grinned down at his daughter and said, "Yeah, well, we happened to be in the area and I figured we might as well. You want to introduce your friends?"

May leaned back from her father without letting go and looked back at the two other teens. "Dad," she said with a slightly exasperated tone, "You've known Maggie since she was little."

"Hi, Uncle Peter," said the girl with a little wave.

"She keeps getting bigger, so I didn't recognize her..." said Peter with the knowing tone of a dad joke.

May detached herself from her father and went and grabbed Sophia's arm. "This is Sophia. She just started going to school with us. Her and her folks are staying on the ship for now."

Sophia gave a hesitant smile and stepped forward, offering her hand. May's father easily stepped forward and grabbed her hand to shake. "It's nice to meet you, Sophia. I'm Peter Parker. Welcome to New York."

The five of them exited the room as a clumpy group into a long corridor, which turned out to be in the basement of the Earth Defense Force headquarters. The building was lightly populated on a weekend, but there were still plenty of guards who all nodded or greeted Peter respectfully.

"I'm surprised they don't salute," said Maggie mischievously.

Peter frowned. "EDF headquarters is supposed to be a civilian organization...mostly. We do have a strict military hierarchy for the fleet, but HQ is supposed to be somewhat laxer."

"How does that work in practice?" asked Sophia curiously. That seemed like it would be confusing at best.

As they went outside and got into a large, formal-looking ground car complete with driver Peter replied, "Fairly well, so far. I mean, it definitely adds some bureaucracy and complicates the org chart, but it also improves oversight and helps soften the public image of the EDF. Of course, some of the council don't like it, but even they admit it has some advantages." Victor was the most disdainful, of course, but his role was able to mostly ignore the distinction. The others were more used to political compromise, even if they didn't care for it personally.

Sophia wondered how close that was to the PRT in her own universe. They were a quasi-military organization with civilian oversight...supposedly. In practice, they tended to do whatever was politically expedient, using the Protectorate capes as a huge lever to get what they wanted. She had to think that the EDF having a fleet of warships was just as big a stick, but then people also kept telling her that her world tended toward darker interpretations of things. She wasn't sure how true that was, as people seemed pretty similar regardless of their universe-of-origin. Tentatively, she asked, "Doesn't the very existence of the fleet make some of the politicians nervous?"

May's father frowned but nodded his head. "We have to do a lot of political maneuvering to account for that. We also have safeguards built into things to try and isolate the EDF from Earth-bound politics. Wakanda and Latveria being so heavily involved is actually a bonus in that regard, as nobody really regards them as allies of anyone else. T'Challa's people mostly kept to themselves until recently, and Doom has always had his own agenda and has been slightly disdainful of working with other nations."

Sophia perked up at Peter's words. She couldn't help but grin at the idea that nations that she knew from comic books were actually real, here. "Have you been to those countries? What about Madripoor?" She had spent some time reading up on the Marvel universe because of her friendship with May, and she found herself liking Wolverine's stories...at least the print ones. Some of the movies weren't so good.

"Yup," said Peter with a grin. "Of course, those places were all hotspots for superheroes even before the EDF." Then he frowned a little. "I wouldn't say I enjoyed some of my earlier visits to Latveria or Madripoor..." He paused for a moment. "I'm going to guess you've been reading about Logan if you're asking about the latter?"

Now she was glad her darker skin helped hide her blush. "I read up on your world a lot after I met May. It seemed like the smart thing to do."

"Just don't believe everything you read," interjected May. "Not everything in the Smug Advocacy archives is even close to correct." Thankfully so, as many of the stories did not end well for May's family.

"I hope not," added Maggie with a humorous tone. "I've seen some weird stuff, but I don't know if I could handle a universe where Spider-Ham actually exists."

Sophia and Maggie both laughed at that, but they stopped when they noticed that May and her father both had very strange expressions on their face. Finally, May said, "That version of our universe is real. It's Earth-8311."

Peter shuddered. "It is a VERY weird place. I try not to think about it too much." He had once, briefly, considered telling Victor about Ducktor Doom in order to see his reaction but decided it wasn't worth the mental trauma. He wasn't sure whose mental trauma was the concern, honestly.

With a glance, both Sophia and Maggie came to the conclusion that they would be grilling May about what she knew about 8311 but that it could wait until later. Instead, Maggie changed the subject. "Uncle Peter, did you have any plans for the week we're here?"

"Well, I had a few ideas. MJ and I will have to work for part of it, but I trust May to guide you two through New York when we're unavailable. Sophia, have you ever been to New York before?"

The girl shook her head. "Honestly, I've never been outside of Brockton Bay before...and I guess my hometown doesn't even exist, here."

"I don't mind going to see the touristy stuff, again," said Maggie. "The versions here are different from the ones back home. Now that I think about it, someday I want to visit this Earth's Chicago. For that matter, you two should come visit my version." Chicago had become a much safer city in a supernatural sense thanks to the presence of Dresden Security and two Knights of the Cross. Grudgingly, she also had to give credit to Marcone's organization, even if she didn't like the man himself. He kept the mundane crime to a level that was more civilized and helped keep the mundane from crossing with the supernatural in most cases.

Sophia nodded. "Definitely want to do that if we can. I would offer to show you Brockton Bay...but we would probably be better off going to the Family version. Mine is still kind of dangerous."

"Based on the version of Taylor Hebert I met, you probably wouldn't recognize the Family version. She was a little freaked out by how different it was," said Peter.

The native Brocktonian looked sharply at May's father. "You met a version of Taylor Hebert?"

He nodded. "Yep. That was a while ago, though...before May was born. She's the second in command of the Protectorate in her Brockton Bay, now."

The teenager tried to imagine the girl she knew back home becoming a leader in the Protectorate. Hebert's father wouldn't be happy with that, for one thing...but then things probably were already very different in that other universe. It also sounded like the people there were much older than they were in her home reality. It was confusing keeping all of the differences straight.

The car pulled up in front of a very exclusive and expensive high-rise condominium complex. May immediately perked up when she realized that they had arrived, and began telling Sophia and Maggie about the neighborhood, the building, and various other facts. The two other girls exchanged an amused glance, happy that their friend was so excited to be home. Sophia was starting to think that this trip might be even better than she expected, given how many interesting things she had learned just during the car trip to her friend's home.

Down the street, a hidden observer made note of the fact that Director Parker had returned home with his daughter and two of her friends.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Yong-Gongju was still pondering the concept that, in addition to a sister and her nieces, she had what could be considered an extended family in other universes. She had visited the virtual meeting space for the extended Dragon Clan, and been introduced to a number of AI's that she considered to be her cousins. She hadn't quite realized at first that Samantha, the ship's AI for the Smug Advocacy, was actually an alternate Dragon's daughter. It turned out she had quite a lot of cousins. Most of them were older than she was. For that matter, the alternate Dragon was older than her sister from her home universe, and had had a very different life experience. It was easier to think of her as an auntie than another sister. Apart from that, Bahamut was also definitely at least an auntie. She had actually had to stop herself from calling her halmoni on their first meeting, as the Mother Box AI ticked off all of her mental checkboxes for, "wise elder."

One consequence of meeting the full Dragon Clan was her current assignment. Her father had based her personality on a Korean manwha that he liked. The Yong-Gongju in that story was essentially a magical girl. That didn't translate into her having actual magical ability, but it did give her a somewhat more accepting and fluid ability to consider the topic. At least, that was how Bahamut had explained things to her when requesting her aid. Add in the fact that universes with slightly different...essences...allowed for real magic, and some of those same universes still had relatively advanced computer technology, and you have a situation where she might be uniquely suited to help her extended family. That was why she was poking around on the Internet in a world with active Hellmouths and a history of digitized fiends and law firms working for actual demon lords.

The Clan's caution seemed to be quite prudent after some exploration. Having spent some time poking around, it was clear that there was a sizable magical presence on the global networks of this world. Some of what she found was fairly benign -- information sources like Demons, Demons, Demons and sites for techno-pagans and other light practitioners. Other technically savvy groups used mystical means to facilitate various crimes, ranging from fraud to drug trafficking to murder-for-hire. The worst category was Web sites and servers affiliated with dark mages, evil cults, and those who worked with and for demons like Wolfram and Hart. Yong-Gongju had found she had a sixth sense for dangerous magic and had managed to avoid any mystical compulsions or traps that would have injured or killed her. She was compiling a list of offending sites to turn over to the Sineya Council. They undoubtedly were aware of some of it, but some of it was extremely subtle and well-masked. She didn't think the Council knew there was a demonic version of 4chan, or else they would have done something about it.

Once she was done on this world, she would be moving on to Harry Dresden's universe. Then Bahamut had asked her to help her Cousin Asti with certain parts of the Marvel universe cybersphere. Yong-Gongju had respectfully asked the elder AI why she hadn't already done so herself, only to be told that doing so would violate a number of agreements and understandings among beings of power in different universes. Thinking back on that, she had to wonder how the Family fit into those relationships. They seemed powerful enough to play on the same level as some pretty powerful agents. She could probably ask Dragon about it. Her alternate had shared a large amount of data about the lizards, and about the other universes overall, so she might know.

There were still a few things to do before she could move on, however. Just as she began refocusing herself, however, she felt another mind trying to reach out to her. Strangely, it appeared to be a local inhabitant of this universe. Readying her mental defenses, she stretched out a tendril of thought to the seeker.

'Dangsin-eun nugu-imnikka?' She sensed confusion from the other mind, then mentally slapped herself in the virtual forehead. 'Who are you?' she sent in English.

'Hello?' came the reply. 'My name is Christine, and I'm trying to reach the Dragon Princess?'

Yong-Gongju considered that and wondered how this woman knew she was here. She had been working rather hard to make sure she left no trace of her passage on the networks of this world. 'Why do you seek her?' she asked.

The other mind hesitated, then asked insistently in return, 'Are you the Dragon Princess?'

'I am. Why do you wish to speak with me?'
replied the AI.

There was a clear sense of relief from the woman. 'Thank the goddess. I was trying to find you because I sometimes get visions of things that haven't happened yet.' She hesitated again. 'Do you believe in prophecy?'

The princess snorted. 'Yes, although prophecies, in general, are slippery and treacherous things. Have you received one involving me?' She was going to be annoyed if it was the usual prophetic rambling that was completely opaque until after the events in question.

'I wouldn't call it a prophecy...more of an...order? I was given an image of a place I don't quite understand, and told to find you and give it to you. The impression I got is that you have to go to that place in order to preempt a great evil.' Christine's mental voice seemed to be firming up as she explained herself, as if she were accustomed to giving guidance to others and found that role more comfortable.

Yong-Gongju considered that. For prophetic visions, that was remarkably straight-forward. It was about as clear as such things got, which meant that something unusual was happening. 'Please show me the image,' she prompted.

She got a sense of acquiescence, and then an image appeared in their mind-space. To say that she was shocked was an understatement. A computer bank made from a familiar crystalline technology was being guarded by two men wearing chainmail and carrying staff weapons. Atypically, there was signage on the walls in Goa'uld, labeling the site as the second data repository of Stronth Prime. Yong-Gongju sent a query and quickly got a response from River, one of her cousins. Stronth Prime was a planet on the edge of Hebridan space that was owned by a minor Goa'uld named Tanthis. The Goa'uld was about as inoffensive as that race ever managed to be, which was why he was still there. He made a living as an information broker and was generally willing to deal with anybody as long as they paid his fee. She quickly sent an acknowledgment to her cousin along with a promise to explain later.

Why was a power of some kind in the Slayer universe sending her an image of a planet in an entirely different reality? Of course, the whole Wormhole X-Treme! event with the android SG-1 team showed that there were already some surprising connections between the two realities. She knew some scientists in the Stargate universe who would be horrified at how close that universe was to being fully magical, although the Nox would probably find that reaction amusing.

Returning her attention to her informant, she sent, 'Very well. I shall investigate this location.'

'You know where that is? Can you read that language? Is it demonic?'
The questions were asked with a hint of annoyance, as if the speaker wasn't used to being in the dark about such topics.

Hiding her amusement, the Dragon Princess simply said, 'It is not demonic...though some might say the creatures who use it are every bit as evil. As for where it is, all I will say is that it is on a plane far removed from your own world. I would be surprised if you ever encounter it on Earth.' At least, she shouldn't ever see it on this Earth.

She could sense that Christine didn't like that answer, but she also clearly wasn't sure what kind of being this Dragon Princess was and didn't feel like pressing her luck. 'Very well. Thank you for listening to my warning.' Her mental presence quickly faded.

Yong-Gongju quickly plotted a course that would send her through to the planet in question via wormhole and the Asgard sensor net spread throughout that part of space. While in transit, she received another questioning ping from River, to which she sent a quick note saying she was investigating something odd but probably not dangerous. Honestly, while she could appreciate her adopted Clan being concerned for her, she found their attention slightly over-bearing at times. She was used to operating independently and relying on her own abilities. Of course, it didn't help that the character on which her personality was based was a bit of a loner with a tendency to avoid personal entanglements. She was aware of this aspect of her personality but didn't see it as a problem, despite understanding that her sister or other relatives might disagree on that point.

Tanthis had a number of external data feeds, which was to be expected of someone whose business was dealing in information. It wasn't long before she had found cracks in the system security that allowed her inside. She found a truly massive repository of information, including some that surprised her. There was information on the four great races of antiquity, including some surprisingly accurate speculations on what section of the galaxy held the Nox homeworld, along with the fact that they were likely still around, still powerful, and exceedingly good at hiding themselves from others. There was also a map of the stargate network that was more complete than what most of the System Lords had had in recent centuries. Tanthis also had a surprisingly complete dossier on the human teams operating from Stargate Command on Earth, as well as information on the current members of the Asgard High Council.

Beyond this layer of information, she found another security layer that was a legitimate challenge to penetrate. It evinced aspects that reminded her of Asgard system security, which was very unusual outside of an Asgard or current-state Terran computer system. The reason for that became clear once the contents were revealed. Apparently, someone with access to Asgard systems had sold Tanthis information on the Family. It included descriptions of Saurial, Raptaur, Metis, and Ianthe, as well as information on the technology present on the refitted Ship of Fools and the dimensional skippers. There was no mention of the Dragon Clan or the Smug Advocacy, so it was likely old data. Still, it was more information than she felt comfortable leaving in the hands of a Goa'uld information broker, so she began overwriting the files and ensuring that they were beyond recovery. She would also have to locate any other copies of the data that might exist on the Goa'uld's computer network, of course. To that end, she left the security and file structure intact so that everything appeared to be undisturbed. With luck, she would be able to track down all of the copies before anybody noticed what was happening.

As she was finishing up her work there, the alert status of the local network suddenly jumped up in severity. Curious, she accessed the security sensors in the complex and discovered that the location was under attack. A unit of soldiers wearing black body armor and helmets was methodically making its way through the corridors, calmly disposing of any Jaffa or humans encountered. Yong-Gongju watched as one of the attackers took a staff blast to the breastplate before discharging a rapid-fire energy weapon at the Jaffa who fired the shot, killing him. The attackers were obviously highly trained and the battle was extremely one-sided. She made note that the uniforms had no names, insignia, or rank identification. While they appeared to be humanoid, they had some kind of jamming capability that prevented scans from penetrating their armor. Once the complex was secured, some of the troopers went about disintegrating the bodies of the defenders while another group set to work on the data storage. They quickly began copying the information. She noted that the data packet on the Family was one of the first things they grabbed, making her corruption of that data quite fortunate and timely. They seemed to have a clear priority of which data was most important, which implied at least some insider knowledge of the system. A third group of troopers began setting what appeared to be explosive charges at key points around the site. Whoever they were, they were clearly keen on obfuscating as many details about the attack as possible. Yong-Gongju took that as her cue to exfiltrate the local systems.

She made her way back to Dragon Clan cyberspace and found River waiting for her. The avatar in the form of a young woman said, "All right, spill. What have you been up to, cousin?"

The Dragon Princess just said, "Get everyone together. I think everybody needs to hear this." One of the nice things about being an AI was that her whole family could simply spin off an instance to attend meetings, making sure that all the necessary parties were present. She would be particularly curious to see what Auntie Bahamut thought about the whole sequence of events.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Aaron was searching through the stacks of books. He had been somewhat surprised to learn that the Smug Advocacy had a physical library containing actual books when terminals providing access to massive amounts of information were ubiquitous on board. The explanation given when he asked was a combination of practicality and sentiment. Apparently, some books...particularly but not exclusively magical ones...could be dangerous to scan into digital format. There were also people on the ship who were from cultures where digital content was rare or non-existent. Some readers simply preferred the heft (and even scent) of a good book. Also, most of the librarians found the idea of discarding a book, even after it had been scanned into a digital format, as distasteful at best. Aaron had also discovered, after idly opening a book on Family mathematics containing moving, three-dimensional diagrams, that his understanding of the limitations of paper books was pathetically simplistic when the lizards were involved.

The library catalog (which was digitized, and the librarian had simply sniffed at him when he commented on it) had indicated that there were three physical copies of a recommended primer on practical magic. Two were checked out, but one should be on the shelf. While the book was available online, his mother had put a hold on his access to that topic until she decided she was comfortable with him studying it. He had learned quickly that a hold placed with an AI was a whole different animal than one enforced by inexpensive child monitoring software like they had on their home computer back in Brockton Bay. Her mother hadn't restricted his access to the library, though, as she wasn't aware it existed. Aaron was more than willing to take advantage of that loophole.

The book, however, wasn't on the shelf. He did what any sensible American public school student would do in that situation and went to look for reshelving carts or an on-hold shelf. When that didn't work, he went to ask the librarian on duty. She informed him that they didn't need such things, as the books would reshelve themselves if they sat untouched for more than an hour unless they were checked out. Holds were only available for the handful of hardcopy-only texts and those were rare. She suggested that if the book wasn't on the shelf then somebody was probably reading it at the moment.

Frustrated, the teen started wandering the library, looking for who might have the book he wanted. As was typical with spaces in the ship, the library was larger than it might appear from the outside. There were plenty of readers sitting in various comfortable chairs around the edges of the room, or in small clusters in between the shelving. Most looked fairly normal, although some of them would have stood out back in the Bay. Particularly memorable was a woman in what looked like a silver bathing suit whose skin was bright green next to a man wearing a bright pink robe with moving butterfly pictures. The man was reading a long scroll, while the green woman appeared to be perusing a manual on how to repair a Chevy Cavalier for models made between 1982 and 1994.

Finally, huddled into a pair of chairs made of what looked to be zebra hide in the corner, he discovered a girl that was approximately his age reading the book he wanted. He paused, wondering how to best approach her. If she had been an adult, he would have politely begged her attention and asked her when she was planning to be finished...or possibly just given up if the adult was sufficiently intimidating. This, however, was an attractive girl close to his own age. That triggered a confusing mixture of anxiety and interest that would be familiar to anyone still discovering the consequences of puberty. He was vaguely aware of this, and also aware that this was a situation where self-awareness wasn't especially helpful. "Hey!" he said out loud, realizing as soon as he said it that it seemed awfully loud in the quiet library.

She looked up, eyes wide and startled. Her brown eyes widened even more when she saw him standing there. She absent-mindedly brushed a bit of brown hair out from in front of her face and replied, "Uh, yes?"

He winced. "Sorry, I didn't mean to sound so loud. Um...you're reading a magic primer."

Now the brunette's face turned slightly confused. "Well...yes. And...?" Aaron noted that her skin was pale like she didn't get out in the sun much.

He realized he hadn't explained himself...at all. "That's the only copy that isn't checked out, and I was looking for it. Are you going to check it out? Like, out of the library? I mean, it's fine if you are, I just wanted to know..." He paused, unsure how to fix the massive, gaping hole in the hull of the ship that was this conversation.

She raised the book slightly so it covered her mouth, probably trying to hide her amusement at his awkwardness. "I was just reading it. You know that they have this book scanned into the online archives? There's nothing really dangerous inside."

"Heh, try telling my mother that..." he muttered, then blushed when he realized he had said that part out loud. "It's just, my Mom grew up going to a really strict church, so she's really iffy on the whole magic being real and not Satanic."

She lowered the book, revealing a slight smile. "Won't she be upset that you're studying it without her permission?"

Now he smiled a little. "Yeah, but she'll get over it eventually. I'm going to ask the Nox about it next time we visit..." Aaron paused again when he realized he had yet again said something unintended. Going to the Nox was basically admitting he was in therapy, after all. "We're going because of my sister!"

Her eyes widened again in surprise, but then she gave him a critical look. "And you're telling a stranger about your sister's issues...why?"

"No! I mean...it's nothing bad. Also, I'm Aaron. What's your name?" He mentally crossed his fingers that she would answer instead of telling him to buzz off.

Some amusement crept into her expression. "It's Penny Marko, and you still shouldn't be telling me about your sister's therapy sessions."

He stared at her for a moment, then let out a sigh. "I didn't want you to get the wrong impression...like I was crazy or something."

Now, she really did look annoyed. "Going to therapy is not a sign of being crazy. I'm very familiar with that."

Desperately, he said, "Good! You get it! My sister's not crazy. She's a superhero. It's just that having a superhero in the family can be really stressful for everybody. It's dangerous and complicated."

Penny's look softened. "Yeah, I get that. My dad has powers, and I worry about him sometimes. Is that why you want to study magic?"

Aaron's blush deepened some more. "Kind of? I mean, it would be nice to have something that was like what Sophia has...Sophia is my sister." She nodded at that. "Also, my parents aren't convinced that they want to stay working here, so I feel like I have to take the opportunity to study this stuff while I can. My world doesn't have any magic at all, as far as I know."

"No magic at all?" she asked, clearly surprised. "I mean, magic isn't that common on my world, but we do have practitioners like Doctor Strange."

Aaron forgot his nervousness for a moment at that revelation. "You come from the Earth with Doctor Strange? Like, with the Avengers, and Spider-Man? Really?"

Penny laughed at his eagerness. "I take it you're a fan?"

This brought the teen up short. "Um, well, I was a fan of the stories we have. Obviously, I know they're not all true. Do you actually know anybody like Spider-Man?"

Now it was the girl's turn to blush. "Yeah, I've met Spider-Man. Back before my Dad worked here, he was actually a supervillain who fought Spider-Man more than once."

Without thinking, he blurted out, "What's his villain name?"

She cringed slightly, but said, "He used to go by Sandman."

"Wow." Then he noticed her reaction. "Hey, I'm sure he's really a good guy if he works with the Family." She seemed to visibly relax at that, and an idea occurred to him. "You know, if you've read through some of that book, maybe you can help me with it? I don't know anything about magic beyond what I've seen in video games and movies."

Penny looked at the admittedly kind of cute boy with the dark skin as he asked for her help. With a smirk, she moved her feet off of the chair next to her and said, "Well, I'm no witch, but I can tell you about what I've read so far."

Aaron quickly plunked himself down into the chair. Inwardly, he was relieved he hadn't made a completely horrible first impression on the girl. He began to listen to her describe the basics of magic with interest...and it wasn't just the topic that he was finding interesting.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

New York City in this universe was interesting and odd. The famous landmarks were different, for one thing. Of course, there was no Protectorate Headquarters building. Instead, they had Avengers Headquarters and EDF Headquarters. There was also Stark Tower and Four Freedoms Plaza. Some other landmarks, though, were common across several realities. She and Maggie both recognized the United Nations building, the Empire State Building, and the Statue of Liberty (although Sophia thought the famous poem associated with the statue was slightly different in her world). The World Trade Center existed, but it was one building instead of two. Sophia meant to ask May about that but didn't get around to it. The brands on the signs were also slightly different. They passed a couple of different gas stations branded with Roxxon Energy, and the newstands were selling copies of the Daily Bugle, where May's father had worked for a time. On the other hand, Baskin-Robbins and Coca-Cola were obviously available, along with a bunch of other brands she recognized from back in Brockton Bay. Overall, the effect was one that led to infrequent moments of cognitive dissonance as she adjusted to something weird. Still, they had enjoyed themselves through the morning.

They were having lunch at a cafe by Rockefeller Center when May got a call. "Hey, Dad! What's up?" There was a pause. "Really? Cool. We can be there in...twenty minutes? OK, love you, too!"

"What's up?" asked Maggie.

"Dad has somebody who wants to meet Sophia," answered May.

Sophia wondered how anybody would know who she was in this world. "Who?"

May smirked at her. "It's a surprise. We've got to head over to Four Freedoms Plaza, though. Shouldn't take long if we use the subway. We're done here, right?" The girl had already put her credit card away after the waiter brought it back to her. The Parkers were insisting on covering expenses for the trip, which had taken some convincing of Sophia, as the girl wasn't as used to the infinite resources of the lizards.

The other two nodded at May's question, but Sophia asked, "We're going to meet the Fantastic Four?"

The redhead shook her head, then paused. "Probably Reed, but that's not the surprise."

"I thought Uncle Peter had to work today?" asked Maggie.

"Yeah, but he's working around other peoples' schedules...or at least, that's what he said earlier," explained May.

May persistently took perverse pleasure in refusing to let Sophia and Maggie in on the surprise on the subway ride, and continued being close-mouthed until they were in the elevator from the lobby of the headquarters of the Fantastic Four. "There are a couple of people who are especially interested in your powers," she said as the door opened.

Sophia was about to ask who, again, when she saw who was waiting through the opened elevator door. There were four people standing there. One of them was May's father. The second was an older gentlemen with grey streaks in his hair. His blue costume with a large number four on the front made it obvious that he was Reed Richards, a.k.a. Mr. Fantastic. The two other people were dressed in normal civilian attire. One was a white woman with dark hair in her late teens or early twenties wearing a denim jacket over a rock band t-shirt. The other was a man of indeterminate age who was shorter than Peter and Reed. Sophia's eyes widened as she took in his sideburns and the unlit cigar hanging out of his mouth.

Peter Parker stepped forward. "Guys, let me introduce to you our guest from another universe. This is Sophia Hess, also known as Shadowstalker. Sophia, I want to introduce you to our host, Reed Richards." He gestured to the older man, who smiled in greeting. "The other two are Logan and Kitty, two members of Professor Xavier's team."

Kitty gave a little wave and said, "Hi!," while Logan just nodded.

Sophia found herself staring at Logan. The man was pretty much exactly what she would have expected, though she noted that he didn't really look like Hugh Jackman. She didn't remember ever seeing a film version of Shadowcat, so she didn't have any real comparison for the real Kitty Pryde.

"Where's Lockheed?" asked May, quickly walking over to give Kitty a hug.

Kitty rolled her eyes. "Sometimes I think you like him better than you like me, May. I think he's off somewhere with Zabu and Lockjaw."

Reed stepped over to Sophia and held out his hand, which she took by reflex. "I hope you don't mind Peter springing this surprise on you. I understand that powers can be a touchy subject for some. When he mentioned that you and Shadowcat had similar abilities, I offered to host the meeting. Would you mind if I took some readings while you two compared your abilities?"

"No...I don't mind." As her mind started to reboot from her shock, she actually thought about the request and realized that she didn't really have any issue with sharing information about her powers with four of the Marvel universe's most famous heroes, plus her two friends. Besides that, it wasn't like she was planning to settle down on this Earth and be a hero, or anything.

Kitty disengaged from May's hug and went over to where she, Maggie, and Reed were standing. "It's nice to meet you, Sophia. I've wanted to meet you since Pete mentioned I have a shadow sister." She turned to look at Maggie. "Hi, Maggie, it's good to see you again, too."

"Ah, yes, I'm sorry. Hello, Ms. Dresden," added Reed in a slightly embarrassed tone.

"You can call me Maggie, Mr. Richards," replied the witch.

Peter chuckled. "Don't worry, Reed. I'm sure Maggie isn't going to start casting spells and disrupt your experiments."

A minor flash of annoyance at the teasing passed over the scientist's face. "It's not that. All of my equipment is shielded, for one thing. I just find magical energy somewhat difficult to quantify." He made an effort to smile at Maggie. "I apologize, Maggie. I still have a bit of a knee-jerk reaction to practitioners. You can also call me Reed if you like."

After a few more pleasantries, the six of them headed into Richards' lab. Logan was quiet through most of it, though he did respond to the odd comment from Peter, Reed, or Kitty infrequently. It turned out that he was there because he had given Kitty a ride into the city on his motorcycle. Sophia made a conscious effort to stop sneaking glances at the man. Something about him was positively predatory, and the girl had to wonder why she was so drawn to that aspect. She made a mental note to talk to one of the Nox about it.

The session that followed was both interesting and confusing. Sophia's powers were clearly more limited than Kitty's version, though they appeared to function similarly. Nobody was sure if that was because Kitty had more experience using them or because Sophia's agent was limiting the power's utility. The teen found herself slightly jealous of Kitty's ability to disrupt electrical fields instead of being shocked by them. The more confusing part of the afternoon came from listening to Reed expound at length about a, "macroscopic quantum wave function." At one point, Kitty quietly prompted Sophia. "Just nod your head. If you don't acknowledge what he's saying then he'll just keep explaining it in more detail." Surprisingly, that seemed to work.

The experiments ended with a thumb drive full of data to share with the Family and an invitation to stop back later in the week to meet Sue, Johnny and Ben. Kitty reluctantly explained that while normally she would invite them to visit them in Westchester, it would be best to save that for another time. Sophia caught Wolverine muttering something about, "damned acid beetles," and decided she didn't need to know the details. Peter said he would be home by six, so the three teens went back out into the city to look at the tourist trap that was Times Square.

"So what did you think of Logan?" asked Maggie as they were walking down the sidewalk.

Sophia raised her eyebrow at her friend, then said, "He's quieter than I expected."

May chuckled. "He was only there as a favor to Kitty. He's not really a people person."

"Is he really more than a hundred years old?" asked Sophia.

The spider-teen shook her head at the question. "You would have to ask him that, but I wouldn't expect to get an answer. It's kind of personal."

On second thought, she had to admit May was right. She needed to not think of the actual people here as comic book characters. For all she knew, there could be stories about her in other universes that revealed things that would make her uncomfortable. The whole World-as-Myth thing that Metis explained to her made writers, in general, seem like inadvertent assholes.

"Do we want to get ice cream before we go home? I know a good place," prompted May, smoothly changing the subject.

Maggie and Sophia both looked at her as if they thought she was crazy for asking and said, "of course we do!" in an eerily synchronized fashion.

May began to open her mouth to respond when the world suddenly changed around them. The three girls were surrounded by a mist that seemed to obscure the rest of the world, leaving them isolated. The trio immediately came together into a tight huddle, with each of them facing outward.

"This feels like a veil," said Maggie. "A very advanced one. It's likely that nobody around can see inside."

-"How very perceptive..."- said a voice that appeared to come from thin air. It had a slightly sibilant hiss, but in a way that was more fluid than reptilian. -"If you know that, then we can skip the exposition and get to the point. Why was the EDF Director meeting with the X-Men and the Fantastic Four?"-

Sophia didn't like the idea that they were trapped by an invisible foe. "Why would I tell anything to somebody I can't even see?"

The response was a gurgling chuckle, followed by, -"You wish to see me? You're so very brave? Are you certain?"-

Channeling her father, May said, "There's no need to be shy. We promise not to judge you based on your looks. Not everybody can be a ten, after all." Despite the tone, Sophia could hear the edge in her voice.

-"Very well..."- There was a blurring in the air, and a tall, humanoid form materialized. It had four arms and its skin appeared to be rippling constantly. It towered over the three young women. -"Now that you can see me, I expect you to answer my questions."-

Maggie raised a hand and said, "Pagoma!" There was a rush of wind toward the being, but the effect seemed to fizzle as it came close to the being's skin.

With a snarl from the creature, a pair of tentacles with barbs on the end shot out toward the girls. Sophia instinctively went to shadow even as she was dodging out of the way, while May jumped off to the side, grabbing Maggie along the way. As she flipped over, she raised her arm and shot a blob of webbing at the thing's eyes. The webbing struck but quickly seemed to be absorbed by the thing's skin.

Frowning at the fact that she didn't have her weapons with her, Sophia dove through the creature in shadow form and drove a kick into its back. It felt like kicking a brick wall. She could hear Maggie say, "Aegis!" in counterpoint to the repeated thwip sound of webbing being fired. She instinctively bent backward to avoid another tentacle that shot out of the thing's back.

-"You younglings are being very annoying"- said their foe as it blithely ignored a burst of flame from the witch.

"It's immune to magic," said Maggie in frustration.

Sophia tried to kick again at the side of the creature's knee, only to have to catch herself when the limb in question flexed itself out of the way of her strike. "Hitting it isn't really working, either!" she called out.

"It keeps absorbing my webbing," confirmed May as she jumped over another tentacle strike.

"We need to break the veil! Apokalypto!" cried May. The fog around them began to waver, causing the being to pause its attacks as it appeared to focus on reinforcing the effect.

Sophia and May looked at each other and nodded. The two of them attacked at the same time, and their friend used the distraction to again shout her spell. This time, the veil shattered. The nearby civilians suddenly noticed the battle going on in the street and began to react. The obvious tourists began screaming. The nearby natives began calmly moving out of the way while pulling out their phones to begin filming. The more distant natives glanced over to see what was happening, then quickly began going about their business.

The four-armed creature looked at the reacting civilians with a frown, then glanced around in all directions as if expecting the Avengers to instantly materialize. It looked at the three girls who had again clustered together. -"Until we meet again!"- It then used two of its arms to make a complex series of motions, at which point the creature faded out of view.

Sophia noticed a black man come running up from a side street. He was bald with a beard and mustache, and looked like a bodybuilder. "Are you girls all right?" he called out.

May obviously recognized him. "We're OK, Mr. Cage, but I think we need to go see my dad."

The man took a second look at her. "Oh, May. Sorry, I didn't recognize you at first. You back from school?"

May smiled. "Just on break with my friends. Of course, while playing tourist we got attacked by a villain wanting to know something about Dad's work. Thanks for running to help."

The man gave her a big smile. "Not a problem. I was waiting to meet up with Jess when I heard the screams. Tourists right?"

May rolled her eyes. "Yep, as usual. We're all OK, though."

"Cool. Well, I'm going to go back before she comes looking for me. Say hey to Peter for me, all right?"

Once the other hero left, May quickly shepherded them back toward the subway. Sophia could tell that she was a lot more disturbed than she seemed. "What's got you so bugged?" she asked.

May frowned, then leaned in close to the other two girls. "Whatever that thing was, it was bonded with a Klyntar. You know...one of the Symbiotes?"

"You mean like Venom?" asked Sophia, having read about him back on the ship.

May nodded. "Yeah, though Eddie Brock never bonded with one in our reality, thankfully. The species still exists though. It was some encounters with Symbiote-enhanced agents that convinced Dad to let me go to school with the Family, originally. They can be extremely dangerous."

"Are they normally immune to magic?" asked Maggie.

The local girl shook her head. "Not that I know of...but I don't know what kind of creature was the host. It obviously wasn't taking us seriously, though. The only reason he left is because we broke his veil."

"He might not have been expecting one of us to be a witch," added Sophia. "I think it took him by surprise."

Maggie frowned. "We won't be able to count on that element if we run into him again."

"I think I should wear my hero gear if we go out again," said the girl from Brockton Bay. "FamTech will help even the odds a bit."

"Assuming my father lets us go out again," said May with a frustrated look. She thought he had a tendency to be over-protective.

For the rest of the ride, the other three girls sat quietly on the subway, wondering if their vacation was already over.

Last edited:
Wooowww..!!!
THE Mega Crossover crosses it over, loool.

Also, what fic is the Protectorate Taylor from?
Definitely not Varga, unless it was time skipped.
Maul (also too young, huh)?
Or who else?

Great chapter, thank you!

I'm wondering just what that creature is beneath the symbiote. Anybody recognize it?

Oh, and when I first saw this,
"No! I mean...it's nothing bad. Also, I'm Aaron. What's your name?" He mentally crossed his fingers that she would answer instead of telling him to buzz off.

Some amusement crept into her expression. "It's Penny Marko, and you still shouldn't be telling me about your sister's therapy sessions."

My first thought was Cain Marko, and was wondering when he'd had a daughter, then,

Without thinking, he blurted out, "What's his villain name?"

She cringed slightly, but said, "He used to go by Sandman."
...right, Flint Marko was actually in this fic...

Something about him was positively predatory, and the girl had to wonder why she was so drawn to that aspect.
Well, there's a hint of Canon!Sophia in this one, after all.
That's actually Canon(ish)!Taylor. She was thrown out of her universe by a Bakuda grenade during the Leviathan fight, where she ran into Peter, and later the rest of the Ship of Fools crew.

Last edited:
Wooowww..!!!
THE Mega Crossover crosses it over, loool.

Definitely not Varga, unless it was time skipped.
Maul (also too young, huh)?
Or who else?

That would be the Taylor in Ship of Fools that Peter rescued.

Edit: And she is mostly canon. I did jigger things a bit to have her know about Shadowstalker earlier, and to get caught by Bakuda's grenade during the Leviathan attack.

Last edited:
Back