I was thinking about the movie again and I had an idea; it's probably not true / reading between the lines, but here is my new headcanon:

Steve Trevor was married - possibly estranged. His wife's name? Barbara Ann Trevor nee Minerva. A frail housewife stuck on the homefront that finds out that her husband died and shacked up with some super powerful Amazonian woman. Feeling powerless at the idea, she seeks the help of the Greek God Circe, who gives her the power of the Cheetah so that she can get revenge on the woman who stole her husband.

The powers happen to make her immortal like WW as well, so she could show up in a modern day sequel, perhaps teamed with the Duke of Deception (whom I would like to be played by Chris Pine - the Duke takes on Trevor's form to torment Diana).

In other news, I've discovered the Wonderbat ship. :)

The problem with that is it doesn't leave Minerva in her role as Evil Lara Croft.

In other news, I've discovered the Wonderbat ship
Where were you when Justice League was on TV?

On that note I'd honestly think it'd be good if they decided to have Wonder Woman have a new love interest they should make it a woman. Diana is bi after all and it'd be cool to see that represented. Maybe give Io a cameo.

She's still too powerful to have sex with a man 1/100 her strength, and her having sex with a person much weaker than her only ruins the SOD. Especially if they are male.
That's a rather...interesting headcanon. Ignoring for a second that she's able to control her strength that she's shouldn't have a problem with it I find the "especially if they are male" part particularly confusing for a number of reasons.

That's a rather...interesting headcanon. Ignoring for a second that she's able to control her strength that she's shouldn't have a problem with it I find the "especially if they are male" part particularly confusing for a number of reasons.

Wonder Woman getting penetrated by a weaker man isn't exactly appealing, as opposed to Superman or a person closer to her strength level. It makes no sense to me.

... Is this really a topic of discussion? Okay.

Suffice to say, if a given writer wants it to work, it'll work - and they'll probably find whatever reasoning that lets them make it work to make it work. :p

Stop: Stop
Edit 2: Just noticed this conversation was put to rest pages later, had page 12 on tab for weeks. But I will keep this message for sake of history.

If anyone wants to continue conversation, PM me.

It's one thing to encourage women to a private event. It's another to go out of your way to bar a certain gender from attending a public place. It's illegal.

Edit:

That's perfectly fine, Q, but we are not dealing with this situation.

Alamo Drafthouse is a theatre that could be subject to discrimination lawsuits if they found denying service to people of a certain group.

Not to mention they had this to say:

Denying service to a certain gender for these guys violates the US constitution. And it makes it more blatant in your intent to go about this via social media.

Here is an example that would be perfectly legal:

Ariana Grande decides to host a private screening of WW at her house with all women. That's perfectly legal.

And that's legal too. But WW is not an organization.
stop Thread warnings are not suggestions.

The problem with that is it doesn't leave Minerva in her role as Evil Lara Croft.
I think you could pull it off. Maybe she spends the next decade and some change looking for the God killer knife before she gets her powers. Then you could portray her as a kind of Indiana Jones type prior to getting abilities.

Saw the film last night.

Unfortunately saw the two 'twists' coming, but was still good.

Bit too much slow-mo for me

I find most contemporary usage of slow-mo to be extraneous, weird, and kinda distracting. I feel it means "look we're doing something we think is awesome that happens too fast for you to appreciate so instead of rethinking it or trusting you to understand we'll just slow it down and hope that doesn't jar you out of the moment".
*Tayler

Oh and I really enjoyed the film a lot. Looked great on the bigscreen. Even the animated credits were so pretty! (I didn't stay for the regular credits crawl, which was the correct decision. This is not a Marvel movie! :p)

I partially anticipated the twists but didn't figure out everything, which was nice.

Last edited:
Here's something I don't understand. The movie wants moral complexity of some kind but then, why choose WW1? It's never been a subject of great interest to me but I thought the tragedy of the whole thing was because it was a giant clusterfuck of alliances and people in charge and then all the little folks got dragged into it.

The movie wants to juxtapose Wonder Woman's idealism with more realism. Killing Ares won't solve everything because People Are Bad All On Their Own. But this is provably false here. The Real Life Ares that caused WW1 are entirely to blame.

World War 1 is not a case of...I dunno what to call it. Grassroots activism is the positive so I guess call it grassroots violence. The kind of racial, ethnic, religious and class tensions that exist everywhere but are more obvious since the end of the Cold War. If the moral of the story is that people can be good and bad, maybe look at the people? WW1 is a story of people being puppeted around by what might as well be gods of war. If you want to highlight the banality of evil, maybe set it during a conflict that involves average folks being awful instead of average folks being sent off to fight and die for some aristocrats who, if they were removed, would have solved a lot of problems.

Last edited:
Here's something I don't understand. The movie wants moral complexity of some kind but then, why choose WW1? It's never been a subject of great interest to me but I thought the tragedy of the whole thing was because it was a giant clusterfuck of alliances and people in charge and then all the little folks got dragged into it.

The movie wants to juxtapose Wonder Woman's idealism with more realism. Killing Ares won't solve everything because People Are Bad All On Their Own. But this is provably false here. The Real Life Ares that caused WW1 are entirely to blame.

World War 1 is not a case of...I dunno what to call it. Grassroots activism is the positive so I guess call it grassroots violence. The kind of racial, ethnic, religious and class tensions that exist everywhere but are more obvious since the end of the Cold War. If the moral of the story is that people can be good and bad, maybe look at the people? WW1 is a story of people being puppeted around by what might as well be gods of war. If you want to highlight the banality of evil, maybe set it during a conflict that involves average folks being awful instead of average folks being sent off to fight and die for some aristocrats who, if they were removed, would have solved a lot of problems.

Probably because by the late phase in the war, pretty much everyone was tired of it, and the instigators were spread around rather than being concentrated on one side so there is no 'right side.'

Wonder Woman's not at the start of the war, she's at a game already in progress, and string-pullers or not, she has a hard time anyone could participate in this without being controlled by a god.

Well Wonder Woman first showed up in World War 2, but they didn't do that for multiple reasons. One being it'd make the TFA comparisons even more obvious and two WW2 is a pretty romantic conflict. The Nazis Are Bad. The Not-Nazis Are Good. "Kill them all, Diana!" "Okay!" *buzzsaw noises* *credits*. Any possible moral ambiguity contained, such as the horrible treaty conditions leaving Germany an utter wreck stewing in its own bitterness, are immediately thrown into the ovens with the six million people getting murdered for their religion/ethnicity/both for basically no reason when you get right down to it.

WW1 is basically a war that started on fucking accident like some kind of elaborate Three Stooges pratfall of progressively larger countries falling into a big pile and then insisting that they have fisticuffs, advancing slowly with fists held high as they are repeatedly blasted with buckshot by the other guy who brought a shotgun. Stubborn refusal to update archaic tactics meets cutting-edge technology for mass-murder and the friction is churning up millions of men for absolutely no gain. And watching WW2 inevitably spin up from the festering wounds and lingering resentment left by The Great War in complete validation of Ares' words is a pretty good excuse for Diana losing the will to fight. Even though there probably should've been something about the Holocaust like 'and then Diana focused on saving Jews instead of punching Panzers' or something.

Last edited:

The general population of the various powers weren't exactly shy about going to war. France in particular was very eager to avenge the humiliating defeat of the Franco-Prussian war, and Germany wasn't exactly shy about the war either. The war became steadily more unpopular (but also something that no one could really disengage from).

I think not actually covering WW2 would be a good idea. Because she'll either do less than she should, or do as much as she should and frankly that can be a bit questionable to do in a superhero movie either way.

I think not actually covering WW2 would be a good idea. Because she'll either do less than she should, or do as much as she should and frankly that can be a bit questionable to do in a superhero movie either way.

All those stories I heard about Poles fighting panzers on horseback (which I hear is actually Nazi propaganda? Weird) turns out to be true but this time the lady on horseback beats the tanks.

Back