Cowboy Bebop at his computer remake, now with live action Husky

In terms of athletic ability, I'd suggest Daniel Wu for Spike and Maggie Q for Faye. Terry Crews has the body to be Jet (and is the source in that photshopped twitter pic above).

(Incidentally the source for that is Season 1 of Brooklyn Nine-Nine. Great show.)

In terms of athletic ability, I'd suggest Daniel Wu for Spike and Maggie Q for Faye. Terry Crews has the body to be Jet (and is the source in that photshopped twitter pic above).

(Incidentally the source for that is Season 1 of Brooklyn Nine-Nine. Great show.)
What I've seen of Terry Crews tends to be a bit more...on, than Jet usually is, if that makes sense?

Or at least that's my recollection. 's been awhile.

Casting info is now out
Article:
The prospect of taking an anime and moving it over to live action is always worrying for fans. When that anime is Cowboy Bebop, one of the most popular and beloved shows in anime history, everything about it has to be perfect for fans to even give it a chance. But if the casting is any indication, Netflix's live-action Bebop adaptation is off to a good start.

According to a report from The Hollywood Reporter, Netflix's Cowboy Bebop will star John Cho (Star Trek, Searching) as Spike Spiegel, the leader of the show's central band of bounty hunters. Joining Cho aboard his ship, the Bebop, will be Mustafa Shakir (Luke Cage, The Deuce) as Spike's partner Jet Black, an ex-space cop. Also joining the crew is Daniella Pineda (Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom) as con artist Faye Valentine. Filling the role of Vicious, Spike's former partner and current rival, is Alex Hassell (Anonymous, Suburbicon).

Cowboy Bebop follows Spike and his crew of bounty hunters — which will also probably include Ed, a hacker prodigy from Earth, and Ein, a genetically modified corgi (neither of which have been cast yet) — as they travel the galaxy in search of wanted criminals. Created by Shinichiro Watanabe, the original anime combined elements of Hollywood Westerns and more traditional Japanese science fiction. These two different worlds were tied together with a jazz-inspired style that influenced everything about the show from the dialogue to the animation. Watanabe will not be directly involved with the creation of the live-action series, but will serve as a consultant for the Netflix adaptation.

It is weird that anyone thought that they should bring back Vicious at all. :V
Well, it can't be a sequel, cuz Spike is dead, so presumably it's an adaptation, and how can you adapt a story without it's big bad?

Though it's weird they haven't cast Ed or Julia*.

*I don't think anyone actually cares about what dog plays Ein; that assume he isn't CGI.

Last edited:
Well, it can't be a sequel, cuz Spike is dead, so presumably it's an adaptation, and how can you adapt a story without it's big bad.

*I don't think anyone actually cares about what dog plays Ein; that assume he isn't CGI.

Outside of the church fight Vicious is about as important and impactful as the samurai who smells like sunflowers. Aka technically important for backstory and motivation but you could replace Vicious with a picture with the face torn off or a faceless flashback while losing almost nothing. At best Vicious is a season 2 kind of thing when you are only working with 10 episodes.

Outside of the church fight Vicious is about as important and impactful as the samurai who smells like sunflowers. Aka technically important for backstory and motivation but you could replace Vicious with a picture with the face torn off or a faceless flashback while losing almost nothing. At best Vicious is a season 2 kind of thing when you are only working with 10 episodes.
That is a cogent point, but I'm not sure Netflix's current model allows for the anime's "episodic bounty-of-the-week with occasional hints about backstory" format. I'm pretty sure the preferred from is all-serialization-all-the-time.

Last edited:
I gotta say, after the Joker trailer, and the cursed Eldritch whispers coming out of theaters where the sonic trailer is coming this is like coming inside from the rain.

Finally news from the unending RoboCop style Freakshow that is our media that doesn't make me want to stick my head in a concrete mixer.

If they casted Ed and didn't say anything it's probably because it's some child actor nobodies ever heard of. There's a precious few child actors that are really big like Maisie Williams and Finn Wolfhard and if they casted one of them they'd be frontrunning that bit of news.

Last edited:
John Cho seems like a decent enough choice for Spike, I liked his work as Sulu in the JJ trek movies. Don't know too much about any of the other actors.

I don't get why Netflix doesn't just buy the streaming rights off Hulu but I guess this works too.

Then again, the concept of the nation is at least partially dead in the Cowboy Bebop universe thanks to the destruction of Earth.

The destruction of Earth has obliterated the the twentieth century (and onward) nation-states....and replaced it with geographical localities of Mars, Venus, the Jovaian moons, etc., which occupy varying levels of nationhood. So the concept is definitely still around.

Worth noting that nationality as an ethnic and cultural concept, has endured is pretty darn strong in the Solar System. Every settlement we've seen has embraced some historic idea of nationality (this is probably more at home with the Soviet and Eurasian definition of a nationality--a historical people, a homeland, a written and spoken language--than contemporary American ones). What's really telling is that, in specific cases, a resident national identity has endured in the face of heterogeneity of population. So, the asteroid colony Tijuana (aka T.J.) is very obviously Baja California and Northern Mexican inspired. But there are very clearly Asian languages being spoken in addition to English and Spanish.

This doesn't really refute your point, but I thought it was worth noting. Nationality (or as we might call it in an American context, race) endures pretty strongly, even if sovereign nation-states were all turned to dust when Earth was (mostly) loss, and have been replaced (Europa has a sovereign government that's called..get ready for it...the European government!) by weaker but very similar institutions.

On the other hand, I'd never considered that Vicious might be Chinese (in fact, the most I'd ever thought about it was that Vicious might actually have a similar background to Spike, a Martian, but had changed his appearance somewhat over the years). I actually really like that explanation, even if it can't necessarily be confirmed.

The destruction of Earth has obliterated the the twentieth century (and onward) nation-states....and replaced it with geographical localities of Mars, Venus, the Jovaian moons, etc., which occupy varying levels of nationhood. So the concept is definitely still around.

Worth noting that nationality as an ethnic and cultural concept, has endured is pretty darn strong in the Solar System. Every settlement we've seen has embraced some historic idea of nationality (this is probably more at home with the Soviet and Eurasian definition of a nationality--a historical people, a homeland, a written and spoken language--than contemporary American ones). What's really telling is that, in specific cases, a resident national identity has endured in the face of heterogeneity of population. So, the asteroid colony Tijuana (aka T.J.) is very obviously Baja California and Northern Mexican inspired. But there are very clearly Asian languages being spoken in addition to English and Spanish.

This doesn't really refute your point, but I thought it was worth noting. Nationality (or as we might call it in an American context, race) endures pretty strongly, even if sovereign nation-states were all turned to dust when Earth was (mostly) loss, and have been replaced (Europa has a sovereign government that's called..get ready for it...the European government!) by weaker but very similar institutions.

On the other hand, I'd never considered that Vicious might be Chinese (in fact, the most I'd ever thought about it was that Vicious might actually have a similar background to Spike, a Martian, but had changed his appearance somewhat over the years). I actually really like that explanation, even if it can't necessarily be confirmed.

I mean, Shinichiro Watanabe himself said that he aimed for "statelessness, rather than multi-nationalism" when it came to making Cowboy Bebop, because the entire world exists on the brink of perpetual chaos as a result of a near complete lack of power of government institutions and what's implicitly implied to be rampant hyper-capitalism affecting everything from law enforcement to healthcare on a broader scale than even the modern day 21st century, if the bounty system is any indication.

The Earth getting blown right the fuck up might have something to do with that.

Still, really good analysis.

I mean, Shinichiro Watanabe himself said that he aimed for "statelessness, rather than multi-nationalism" when it came to making Cowboy Bebop, because the entire world exists on the brink of perpetual chaos as a result of a near complete lack of power of government institutions and what's implicitly implied to be rampant hyper-capitalism affecting everything from law enforcement to healthcare on a broader scale than even the modern day 21st century, if the bounty system is any indication.

The Earth getting blown right the fuck up might have something to do with that.

Still, really good analysis.

Yeah, there's definitely a strong stateless after-the-ruins feel to the whole series. On the other hands, governments definitely exist, and they exercise sovereignty. "A whole planet" is a very easy set of borders to draw compared to the territorial jumble of a continent after a world war. Of course, the Bebop gang, with their own transorbital space frigate and bounty hunting licenses has no patience for petty things called borders (though I wouldn't be surprised if they turned out to be surprisingly well-versed on border policy when it started to affect their payments), but I imagine the little people on the street probably do.

I'm in no position to question Watanabe (plus, I really like his stuff in general--maybe I ought to give the whole series another watch on BR), but we definitely have governments, and they function as states--nation-states and city-states. Not every well, but they walk the walk (or strut the strut).

Last edited:
Yeah, there's definitely a strong stateless after-the-ruins feel to the whole series. On the other hands, governments definitely exist, and they exercise sovereignty. "A whole planet" is a very easy set of borders to draw compared to the territorial jumble of a continent after a world war.

I'm in no position to question Watanabe (plus, I really like his stuff in general--maybe I ought to give the whole series another watch on BR), but we definitely have governments, and they function as states--nation-states and city-states. Not every well, but they walk the walk (or strut the strut).

I didn't say governments didn't exist, I just said that governments have no power.

An example of why they don't would be the police, and the fact that they're so bad at their job that bounty hunting is a thing that exists in this universe as a much more popular alternative.

I didn't say governments didn't exist, I just said that governments have no power.

An example of why they don't would be the police, and the fact that they're so bad at their job that bounty hunting is a thing that exists in this universe as a much more popular alternative.

I think they have some power. Quite possibly less than a top-of-the-pile transorbital criminal syndicate like the one Spike was employed by, but they definitely have some power. Fleets of bumbling police ships are definitely a form of power, never mind the honest-to-god uniformed military forces the most powerful states possess, and remain standing even after the end of the last big war.

I know this is probably just my inner pedantic talking, but I am really irritated/worried by Spike being described as the "leader" of the crew. They are a dysfunctional family with Jet as the angry dad, not a western style "badass" anti heroes that follow the young marketable male leader character. :/

I know this is probably just my inner pedantic talking, but I am really irritated/worried by Spike being described as the "leader" of the crew. They are a dysfunctional family with Jet as the angry dad, not a western style "badass" anti heroes that follow the young marketable male leader character. :/
Mayhap, but he is the primary protagonist.

I hope cho takes the fight choreos seriously so it wont be IronFist season 1, none of that shake cam either

Back