Balance Stats
❁ • Work / Life • ❁
❁ • ❁ Warrior / Princess ❁ • ❁
❁ • ❁ Radical / Respectable ❁ • ❁

Tactical Stats
Gunnery 0, Navigation +2, Command +2, Technology -4, Personal -2, Strategy +3

Stress: 3

PLEASE READ THE QUEST RULES BELOW

You collectively vote on the actions of Arisukawa Haruna, the first woman to serve openly in the Imperial Akitsukuni Navy.

This quest is set in a universe which is much like our own circa 1910, but with different politics, cultural norms, and ideas about gender and sexuality, as well as some unusual and advanced technology in places.

We are using this quest to explore themes like breaking the glass ceiling, divergent outlooks on gender and sexuality, colonialism and imperialism, and the place of royalty.

Content Warning
This quest goes some dark places.

There is violence, often explicit, often unfair, often against undeserving targets.

There are not always good options forward. The protagonist is not necessarily a good person.

There is implied content and discussion of sexual harassment and assault.

This is a world where people are often racist, sexist, queerphobic bigots. Sometimes, even the PC and the people they are friends with.

Voting Rules

We will tell you if write-in votes are allowed. If we do not say that write-ins are allowed, they are not. This is to prevent people from unrealistically hedging their bets.

You may proposal other options in a non-vote format, subject to approval, on non write-in votes.

We will tell you when a vote allows approved voting. If we don't say the answer is no, pick an option. We like making people commit.

Discussions makes the GM feel fuzzy.

Game Rules
When we ask you for a roll, roll 3d6. You are aiming to roll equal or under the value of your stat. If you succeed, Haruna gets through the situation with no real difficulties. If you roll above the target value, Haruna will still succeed, but this success will cost her something or add a complication.

Whenever Haruna loses something or faces hardship from a botched roll, she takes Stress. The more Stress Haruna has, the more the job and the circumstances she's in will get to her, and it'll be reflected in the narrative. Haruna must be kept under 10 Stress: if she reaches 10 Stress, she will suffer a breakdown and the results will not be great for her.

Haruna loses stress by taking time for herself, by making meaningful progress on her dreams, and by kissing tall, beautiful women.

Meta Rules
Author commentary is in italics so you know it's not story stuff.

Please don't complain about the system or the fact we have to roll dice. We've heard it before, we've heard it a thousand times across multiple quests. We're not going to change it, and it wears at our fucking souls.

Just going "oh noooo" or "Fish RNGesus Why!" is fun and fine. Complaining at length because you didn't get what you want less so.

If you have a question, tag both @open_sketchbook and @Artificial Girl. If you only tag one of us, you will be ignored. Seriously, we both write this quest.

And yes this is an alt-history type setting with openly gay and trans people, ahistoric medicine, and weird politics. Just... deal, please?

This quest employs a special system called Snippet Votes. Please read this post for more information.

Last edited:
[X] Sessions & White Model No. 9, another New Allegheny revolver available in .38 caliber.

Welp, I'll switch my vote to this since it seems to be gaining favor. It's safety mechanism, while inadequate by modern standards, still works decently well in most situations.

Also, .455 Webley isn't actually any more powerful than .38 Special. .455 is big and slow, while .38 is moderately sized and fast. It evens out energy wise.

You should add a warning that people need to repeat their vote. Otherwise the gun vote is going to override the stat vote.

Not the case, actually - you can just manually alter the tally start point to be the stat-upgrade post.

EDIT: though I suppose turning off "newest votes only" has some other weird side effects so maybe best if we do it your way.

Last edited:
Not the case, actually - you can just manually alter the tally start point to be the stat-upgrade post.
Tally only counts the most recent comment a person made, even if you manually change the starting point.

(Though I suspect the newest vites onky option turns that off. Is it new?)

[X] Wilkinson No. 5, a break-top revolver from Albia that fires the exceedingly large .454 Wilkinson round. Guaranteed to put someone down, or so it's been said.

[X] +1 Technical

I'm sorry, but the siren song of the hand cannon is simply too strong here.

Obviously the solution is an automatic revolver gun. :V

Silly write in is a go!

[X] Wilkinson-Fogherty Automatic Revolver
, an exceedingly expensive Albian revolver that 'claims' to have all the advantages of a semi-automatic with the ease of use of a revolver. It holds 8 rounds of .38 ACP. Only available by mail order from Albia.

Our princess deserves only the best!

Last edited:
If our manual of arms taught an isometric 2 handed stance then the big gun might work for us. We use the pistol as an off hand weapon with a sword in the other hand however.

[X] Wilkinson No. 5, a break-top revolver from Albia that fires the exceedingly large .454 Wilkinson round. Guaranteed to put someone down, or so it's been said.

C A N N O N

[X] +1 Prowess

We just cut a guy, so this seems appropriate. I could also see an argument for Subterfuge, given that's been a big theme whilst we're on this posting.

please please tell me it's that early 1900s duelling stance where they stood sideways because "it makes you a smaller target."

[X] Wilkinson-Fogherty Automatic Revolver, an exceedingly expensive Albian revolver that 'claims' to have all the advantages of a semi-automatic with the ease of use of a revolver. It holds 8 rounds of .38 ACP. Only available by mail order from Albia.

Haruna is not particularly big or strong, nor is she planning to spend a lot of time on the range. The .454 will be slow to draw, slow to aim, have heavy recoil, be slow to pistol whip and slow to change hands.

BIG IRON, BIIIIIG IRON-

[X] +1 Technical

Guys, we want a gun with bullets we can actually get through internal channels rather than having to lug a couple of cases around on every station. Which means a 9mm gun, or another ubiquitous gun caliber so we can buy bullets locally.

I don't think the Wilkinson will fulfill that requirement.

[X] +1 Diplomacy

[X] Type 33 revolver.
The standard issue for the Navy and what you're familiar with. Reliable and easy to shoot. Fires the 9mm revolver round that is standard in your military.

[X] +1 Prowess

[X] Type 33 revolver.
The standard issue for the Navy and what you're familiar with. Reliable and easy to shoot. Fires the 9mm revolver round that is standard in your military.

Is approval voting allowed? If so, I vote for literally any gun that won't wreck our wrists with the recoil.

As much as the type 33 might be better suited for our size, it is not of comparable quality, it's the red headed step child of the choices. Either the Wilkinson, or the Colt .38 special equivalent are the best quality ones here imho.

As much as the type 33 might be better suited for our size, it is not of comparable quality, it's the red headed step child of the choices. Either the Wilkinson, or the Colt .38 special equivalent are the best quality ones here imho.

It's a perfectly fine weapon. I dunno why everyone thinks it's subpar in quality--it's basically on par with all other revolvers that were designed in the same time (late 1880s - early 1890s).

It's a perfectly fine weapon. I dunno why everyone thinks it's subpar in quality--it's basically on par with all other revolvers that were designed in the same time (late 1880s - early 1890s).

C&RSenal did a video on it where they basically conclude the same thing. The whole cylinder lock thing is pretty overblown, they say, because realistically you're never going to be in a situation where you're firing it once or twice, putting it back in your holster, then firing it again. If you have your revolver drawn, you're going to go ahead and kill a motherfucker by emptying your cylinders, then drawing your sword.

Yeah, it honestly doesn't make much difference. They're all serviceable enough. The Type 26 33 is a bit inferior to the others, but it's a matter of being 95% as good compared to the 100% options. There are benefits to getting an entirely locally produced gun, both supply and patriotism based benefits. On the other hand, the supply and patriotism based benefits are tiny.

As I joked earlier, this is not an important item for a naval officer. The reason I originally voted for the Not!Colt is that it has the best safety mechanisms, since not shooting herself or others on accident is probably more relevant than anything else, and that will still in all likelihood occur due to user error.

Voting is open
Back