Balance Stats
❁ • Work / Life • ❁
❁ • ❁ Warrior / Princess ❁ • ❁
❁ • ❁ Radical / Respectable ❁ • ❁

Tactical Stats
Gunnery 0, Navigation +2, Command +2, Technology -4, Personal -2, Strategy +3

Stress: 3

PLEASE READ THE QUEST RULES BELOW

You collectively vote on the actions of Arisukawa Haruna, the first woman to serve openly in the Imperial Akitsukuni Navy.

This quest is set in a universe which is much like our own circa 1910, but with different politics, cultural norms, and ideas about gender and sexuality, as well as some unusual and advanced technology in places.

We are using this quest to explore themes like breaking the glass ceiling, divergent outlooks on gender and sexuality, colonialism and imperialism, and the place of royalty.

Content Warning
This quest goes some dark places.

There is violence, often explicit, often unfair, often against undeserving targets.

There are not always good options forward. The protagonist is not necessarily a good person.

There is implied content and discussion of sexual harassment and assault.

This is a world where people are often racist, sexist, queerphobic bigots. Sometimes, even the PC and the people they are friends with.

Voting Rules

We will tell you if write-in votes are allowed. If we do not say that write-ins are allowed, they are not. This is to prevent people from unrealistically hedging their bets.

You may proposal other options in a non-vote format, subject to approval, on non write-in votes.

We will tell you when a vote allows approved voting. If we don't say the answer is no, pick an option. We like making people commit.

Discussions makes the GM feel fuzzy.

Game Rules
When we ask you for a roll, roll 3d6. You are aiming to roll equal or under the value of your stat. If you succeed, Haruna gets through the situation with no real difficulties. If you roll above the target value, Haruna will still succeed, but this success will cost her something or add a complication.

Whenever Haruna loses something or faces hardship from a botched roll, she takes Stress. The more Stress Haruna has, the more the job and the circumstances she's in will get to her, and it'll be reflected in the narrative. Haruna must be kept under 10 Stress: if she reaches 10 Stress, she will suffer a breakdown and the results will not be great for her.

Haruna loses stress by taking time for herself, by making meaningful progress on her dreams, and by kissing tall, beautiful women.

Meta Rules
Author commentary is in italics so you know it's not story stuff.

Please don't complain about the system or the fact we have to roll dice. We've heard it before, we've heard it a thousand times across multiple quests. We're not going to change it, and it wears at our fucking souls.

Just going "oh noooo" or "Fish RNGesus Why!" is fun and fine. Complaining at length because you didn't get what you want less so.

If you have a question, tag both @open_sketchbook and @Artificial Girl. If you only tag one of us, you will be ignored. Seriously, we both write this quest.

And yes this is an alt-history type setting with openly gay and trans people, ahistoric medicine, and weird politics. Just... deal, please?

This quest employs a special system called Snippet Votes. Please read this post for more information.

Last edited:
Then going by that, almost all modern countries are illegitimate.
Clearly. Finally we're getting somewhere. Conquest by force is fundamentally illegitimate. It even violates international law these days. The fact that it didn't back then says nothing about the morality of conquest, just the countries writing the laws. The capacity for violence does not define morality, and does not provide legitimacy, it merely sometimes makes it possible to sidestep the issue by shooting everyone who objects.

Clearly. Finally we're getting somewhere. Conquest by force is fundamentally illegitimate. It even violates international law these days. The fact that it didn't back then says nothing about the morality of conquest, just the countries writing the laws. The capacity for violence does not define morality, and does not provide legitimacy, it merely sometimes makes it possible to sidestep the issue by shooting everyone who objects.

So what then is the solution? And how is it relevant to the quest?

Thing is that neither question, neither answer, let alone this discussion should be had here. It's only barely relevant to the quest, and not something that Haruna is thinking about in character. Let alone something that majorly influences the vote.

Last edited:

Thing is that neither question, neither answer, let alone this discussion should be had here. It's only barely relevant to the quest, and not something that Haruna is thinking about in character. Let alone something that majorly influences the vote.

I would say that, far from being irrelevant, colonialism is a major theme of this work, or at least this arc.

The solution is so far out of the scope of this quest, but depending on the specific circumstances it involves things like decolonization, reparations, full democratic rights for all people, and a generally acknowledged right to self-determination for oppressed peoples up to and including independence if that is what they choose. It will be a messy process, there's no denying that, but it's one that leads to a better and more just world.

As it relates to the quest, I will note that this isn't just "imperialism quest: navy edition". This is a quest with some messages intentionally built in, including "imperialism is bad". And yes, we should be voting for Haruna, not necessarily for ourselves in her place, but that's not really what this is about. What this is about the people heaping all kinds of abuse upon the crowd that objected to a bunch of soldiers engaged in the process of stealing their country, presumably for not being able to back it up with enough might to make right. Those people are at best missing the point.

I, for one, do not feel any need to heap abuse upon the crowd.

The limit of my comments towards the crowd is that they were trying to kill our soldiers, which is, well, true. I do not consider a criticism of the crowd's morals that they did so.

[X] Yourself: For who else is there? You could have made your objection more stringent or insisted that the schedule be kept or found a way to avoid this becoming the bloodbath that it had.
Adhoc vote count started by Godwinson on Nov 27, 2018 at 8:51 PM, finished with 245 posts and 46 votes.

2-8: The Blame Game/Target Rich Environment
You stare at the page for a long time, turning thoughts over in your head. Ultimately, it had been Ienaga's fault, hadn't it? He hadn't thought about the implications of the flag (though you hadn't either) or about how tense the situation might be (though, again, neither had you) but the difference was that he was the officer in charge. He should have been thinking about such things. You were only there to take pictures. You bent over the page to write out the rest of your report. Carefully, you laid out each step of the lead up to the riot and how Ienaga could have alleviated these things, but failed to do so.

You did not embellish your objection to be more than it was. In some ways, you tried to mitigate it, to be measured without seeming indecisive. It was a bad situation, we tried our best, that sort of thing. It was a careful balancing act, one you tried with all your skill to navigate.

Then all that is left was to stamp the document with your seal and it was done. You blotted the ink and waited for it to dry, then carefully folded it and placed it an envelope which you later forwarded to your chain of command.

You washed your hands of the situation and tried not to think about it. Instead, you turned to the more pleasant task of writing to friends and family to let them know that yes, you were fine. You spent more time on Aiko's letter, reassuring her that you were totally unhurt and that she needn't worry.

----

The results of the report took time to make their way back to you. It's been another month and a half of patrolling the coasts of Joseon and hunting smugglers with the boats before you received any word of the results. First comes a letter from the Admiral in command of the Joseon area. He notes that you have been cleared of any responsibility for the situation and the Navy finds that you acted in a manner consistent with the finest traditions of the Akitsukuni Navy. The next day, you received another letter, this one from Captain Ienaga.

Your Highness,

I write to you not to protest my innocence or to cast aspersion on your for reporting what you did. It is entirely correct that I failed in my duty, both to read the crowd and to be mindful of my duty to protect you. That you were forced to take command of my troops due to my incapacitation is a deep wound to my soul and I will do my best to atone for these lapses in judgement.

Please do not blame yourself, no matter what news you hear of me. My life is in the hands of the Empress, may she rule for 10,000 years. It was one of the great honors of my life to meet you.

Your dutiful servant
Captain Ienaga Saito

It was not until you caught up with a more recent newspaper a few days later that you realized what had happened. It seemed that the captain was suffering from ailments from the blow to the head he sustained, though the newspaper had no other details. What it did detail was that the man put on his dress uniform, wrapped himself in the flag of Akitsukuni, and then blown his brains out in his quarters in a completely honorable fashion in keeping with the fine traditions of Akitsukuni's warriors.

You went to the head to be sick again. Perhaps the rioters and protestors had merely been in a bad spot. Perhaps they had even gotten what they deserved for trying to pick a fight with armed men. But Captain Ienaga had been, from what you could tell, a good man who had done his duty as best he could. And now he was dead. Because of you. You had blamed him and he had accepted the blame the only way a warrior could be expected to do so.

You go back to your desk, feeling shaken and slump down into your chair, numbly staring at your ledgers. When Kenshin arrived later, you barely noticed. Not until he spoke.

"Arisugawa? Are you alright?" You blinked. Looked up at him.

"...Captain Ienaga killed himself," is all you can say. Kenshin winced.

"It's truly unfortunate. But I don't suppose he had much of a choice. He had to try and maintain his honor. I understand why he did it," Kenshin said quietly. His brow furrowed. "Sucks, though."

"He didn't have to do it, though. I never would have asked him to…" You started to speak, then gritted your teeth. It was an outcome you should have foreseen writing your report. Kenshin hesitated, then reached out to give your shoulder a sympathetic squeeze.

"I know. But he died like a samurai, didn't he?" Kenshin's voice was quiet. Perhaps he was thinking about his own family. His own obligations to his line of descent.

"Yes, he did," you allowed that much.

For some reason it didn't feel as romantic as it had in the old tales when some loyal retainer cut his belly open.

---

The worst part was, a week later you were a Lieutenant.

There was almost certainly a lot of politics happening behind the scenes you hadn't been privy to on that decision. You doubted that the promotion of any junior officer in any Navy had ever so much scrutiny from as high up as you have, save maybe Miss Olive Wingfield of the Albian Navy in their 1600s.

Aiko had sent you a book about her. It was fascinating, though you doubted she ever actually fought a giant squid with a hatchet.

The promotion had happened on the deck of the Hachinosu and your cousin had beamed with apparent pride as he pinned the small silver bellflower crests onto your shoulder boards. You had a pair that denoted you as a junior lieutenant. A small step up, but a step up.

"My congratulations on a well-earned promotion, lieutenant." He beamed. You smiled. Or tried to smile.

"Thank you, sir," you replied and bowed as he stepped back to the polite applause of the assembled officers.

That night you got more drunk than you had ever been in your life and mercifully, remembered almost none of it.

----

Two weeks later you had a fun emergency when the huge electric motor which operated one of the boat winches malfunctioned. Despite having been scrubbed to a mirror sheen on the outside, actual preventative maintenance had been neglected, and a fire had broken out in the middle of the night. Unfortunately, said winch then exploded, rupturing the pipe which would have carried the water needed to fight the fire in that section easily, turning what should have been a small contained incident into a nine-hour battle against smoke and flame.

Fortunately, no real casualties, just some cases of smoke inhalation and such, and an emergency like that meant the CMO actually had to be on-hand to tend it instead of sitting in his cabin writing his novel, the thing you learned that he did.

(You had read some of it over his shoulder. It was a knock-off of those pulp Europan fantasy age of sail books some of your cousins liked, and it was truly terrible.)

Fortunately, the port city of Geochil on the south-eastern tip of Joseon was not far, and the ship works there just so happened to have a replacement engine, originally earmarked to replace the steam-driven cart for moving ammunition inside a battleship. The ship was quickly redirected there, and the Captain was quick to give everyone leave until the repairs were finished.

Kenshin said he was always like this. He was convinced that the worst thing for his ship was to have sailors getting their boots on everything. Whenever he could, he cleared it out so that he and his senior officers could have the run of the place. Kenshin had heard he liked holding parties on the bridge.

Which is how the two of you ended up in the Akitsukuni quarter in your uniforms, trying to figure out what to do with your lives.

"Drinks?" Kenshin suggested. You put on your best serious face.

"Now, Lt. Kusakabe, we haven't gotten our dear captain's permission, have we? Spirits forbid we drink after dinner." You joked.

"We'll leave it out of the report. Come on, let's enjoy ourselves."

Coming to a compromise on where to go drinking was surprisingly difficult. The businesses here were all specialized to various clienteles. Some bars were for the Army, others for the Navy. You'd had a disastrous experience in your first Navy bar and had sworn them off soon after, and Kenshin was very understanding. Most of them had men only in mind and you weren't eager to be surrounded by men for any longer than you had to be. There was a tea house for Akitsukuni businesswomen, but you weren't sure it was the kind of place you could actually take Kenshin.

"I'm in." He said.

"Really?"

"I just want a drink. Either we go in here, or we take another walk around the block looking at the same signs again."

"If you're certain…" You lead the way into the establishment. It was a bit rough by these standards… which meant it was an absolutely pristine, quiet little place filled with young businesswomen, drinking and relaxing socially. A couple of them were even smoking.

Heads turned as you and Kenshin walked in. And again, as some of the women realized what they were looking at. You found a quiet corner and got drinks.

"Ooh, comfy." Kenshin settled in quickly. "Cheers!"

The beer was cheap and terrible. It did not stop either of you.

"Ken, my friend, how are you still single?" It was about an hour later. You… had probably had slightly too much for the dignity of the uniform, but it wasn't like the MPs would be looking for drunken officers in here. Kenshin had been getting glances all night from various ladies. Apparently not ALL modern women were exclusively into other ladies… tragically.

"I dunno, I just don't have much luck I guess." He replied, finishing off his glass. "Nothing ever seems to work out."

"That's bu-…" You weren't quite drunk enough to swear, but you were drunk enough to almost blunder into it. "... nonsense. You're like, the most attractive-ish man on the planet or something." You stumbled through the sentence drunkenly. "For a guy."

"That was implied." He was much better at holding his drink than you. "I dunno, it's always so awkward. I don't know how to talk to women."

"We're talking right now." You said, puzzled.

"No, like… there's no pressure with you. But with women who are attracted to me I'm always like oh no will they hate me did I say the wrong thing am I moving my hands too much etc etc." He said. "I used to have to go to all these parties while I was in the academy because my parents wanted me married and I was always a total disaster."

You found this categorically hard to believe. Ken was smooth, witty, and very funny. He was the sort of guy who, were this an earlier era, you probably could have put up with having to marry. For women who were actually into men, he was probably perfect.

"Kenshin. I'm willing to bet actual, real money that you could convince one of these very fine young ladies to take you home tonight if you were so inclined," you said with more articulation than you had thought possible in your current state.

"I dunno…"

"Like, home to her bed." You paused to drink more beer. "For the sex." Oh, there we go. That was more in line with your current state of intoxication.

"How would that even happen?" He said.

"Well…" You leaned in conspiratorially. "The way I've heard it works is-"

"No, I mean, how would I even start talking to one of them? They're all…" He gestured vaguely, trying to find the right words. "They're all so much like you in this place."

"What, gay?" You had your suspicions about a few of them...

"No--I mean, probably, but they're confident. Composed. Elegant. Beautiful! How am I supposed to impress a woman like that?"

You got ready to stand up and planted your hat on your head with conviction. "If you're not gonna take the initiative, I will! I'm gonna go to one of those girls and I'm gonna tell 'em, girl, you gotta meet my friend, because if somebody doesn't take this boy home he's going to be a sad sack forever."

"Are those the actual words you are going to use?" He said, his voice at the edge between amusement and despair.

"Probably not! Now, we just need to select a target." You scanned the room. "Gunnery officer Arisukawa reporting for duty!"

"What the actual-"

"How about that one? Off the starboard beam, estimate the range to be six meters. Classy businesswoman type, mid-20s? Single, glancing at you all night. Want's to be wow'd by forward action and initiative."

"Now, really-"

"Target dead ahead." You measured her height with your fingers like you were trying to estimate distance through a ranging scope. She was tall. If he didn't talk to her, you might. "5 meters distant. A bit nervous. Will require a careful, tactical approach so you don't scare her off before you get into range."

"What are you even talking about, Haruna?"

"Astern, in formation with three of her fellows! She's been staring at the back of your head all night it's super distracting. She wants you, but we'll need to separate her from her friends. We'll need a good strategy."

"You know, I never thought I'd say this to a princess but don't you think you'd better lay off the beer--?"

"Hard to port, four meters to target. Intelligent looking type. Spectacles. Couple years younger than us, I'd guess. She's been nursing the same glass all night and reading her book but she's been looking at you every time she turns the page and then blushing and looking back at her book. Probably kind of shy but definitely wants to get to know you better. We'll need to signal her subtly..."

"Haruna, you're scaring me."

"Finally, just coming back from the washroom. A bit older, very interested, but has some concerns. She's been looking at her wristwatch, she has somewhere to be, but if we play our cards right that somewhere is with you. We just gotta talk her into it."

You had a field of targets. Torpedo tubes flooded, guns locked and loaded. Now you just needed to zero in on one of them.

[ ] The Classy Businesswoman.
[ ] The Tall Nervous One.
[ ] The One With Friends.
[ ] The Bookish One
[ ] The Older One With Somewhere To Be

In case you are wondering, yes, each of these will require a different skill check.

This is the most important vote you will ever make in this quest. I expect 10 pages of discussion at least.

Last edited:
[x] The Classy Businesswoman.

Edit: I mean honestly, classy women are hot. Hitting on the nervous looking one is always a little creepy feeling, the one with friends is just harder, the bookish one might get scared off by Navy though I'm stereotyping, and frankly if someone has places to be I don't actually want to make them late.

Last edited:
[X] The Bookish One

Yikes, going from a suicide for honor to shipping in paragraphs. Guess that's Gaya, huh?

Also voting bookish because this is SV.

Well, Captain Ienaga is dead because of us but our career is still on track so hey, that's the important part.

[X] The Classy Businesswoman.

Last edited:
Life is glorious and tragic and beautiful and awful and sometimes someone blows his brains out.

...Maybe I need to get drunk.

[X] The Bookish One

For some reason she seems his type to me? Could be off. Could be off a lot.

Heavens!

Damn. How are these junior officers supposed to learn from their mistakes if they keep blowing their brains out?!

Hmmm. Let's try to figure out which of the skills is involved with which of the women.

"How about that one? Off the starboard beam, estimate the range to be six meters. Classy businesswoman type, mid-20s? Single, glancing at you all night. Want's to be wow'd by forward action and initiative."
Sounds like a Prowess check? Prowess seems to be the skill that maps most closely to Daring in Flying Circus, which is the 'forward action and initiative' stat, at least for things like this.

"Target dead ahead." You measured her height with your fingers like you were trying to estimate distance through a ranging scope. She was tall. If he didn't talk to her, you might. "5 meters distant. A bit nervous. Will require a careful, tactical approach so you don't scare her off before you get into range."
Likely to be a Diplomacy check; I'm almost certain it's not literally Tactics.

"Astern, in formation with three of her fellows! She's been staring at the back of your head all night it's super distracting. She wants you, but we'll need to separate her from her friends. We'll need a good strategy."
Aaand if this isn't a Diplomacy check it's a Strategy check, or possibly Subterfuge.

[ ] The Bookish One
"Hard to port, four meters to target. Intelligent looking type. Spectacles. Couple years younger than us, I'd guess. She's been nursing the same glass all night and reading her book but she's been looking at you every time she turns the page and then blushing and looking back at her book. Probably kind of shy but definitely wants to get to know you better. We'll need to signal her subtly..."
Technical would be too obvious here, but if not Technical, then what?

"Finally, just coming back from the washroom. A bit older, very interested, but has some concerns. She's been looking at her wristwatch, she has somewhere to be, but if we play our cards right that somewhere is with you. We just gotta talk her into it."
This could be a hidden Technical check somehow. Doesn't feel right for Subterfuge.

What do people think?

Well, that was awful to read. :(

[X] The One With Friends.

It shall require all our cunning, but once we do our part it seems like Kenshin will have an easy time of it.

Hmmm. Let's try to figure out which of the skills is involved with which of the women.

Sounds like a Prowess check? Prowess seems to be the skill that maps most closely to Daring in Flying Circus, which is the 'forward action and initiative' stat, at least for things like this.

Likely to be a Diplomacy check; I'm almost certain it's not literally Tactics.

Aaand if this isn't a Diplomacy check it's a Strategy check, or possibly Subterfuge.

[ ] The Bookish One
Technical would be too obvious here, but if not Technical, then what?

This could be a hidden Technical check somehow. Doesn't feel right for Subterfuge.

What do people think?
There might not be checks at all. Or maybe they're all Diplomacy.

Voting is open
Back