Balance Stats
❁ • Work / Life • ❁
❁ • ❁ Warrior / Princess ❁ • ❁
❁ • ❁ Radical / Respectable ❁ • ❁

Tactical Stats
Gunnery 0, Navigation +2, Command +2, Technology -4, Personal -2, Strategy +3

Stress: 3

PLEASE READ THE QUEST RULES BELOW

You collectively vote on the actions of Arisukawa Haruna, the first woman to serve openly in the Imperial Akitsukuni Navy.

This quest is set in a universe which is much like our own circa 1910, but with different politics, cultural norms, and ideas about gender and sexuality, as well as some unusual and advanced technology in places.

We are using this quest to explore themes like breaking the glass ceiling, divergent outlooks on gender and sexuality, colonialism and imperialism, and the place of royalty.

Content Warning
This quest goes some dark places.

There is violence, often explicit, often unfair, often against undeserving targets.

There are not always good options forward. The protagonist is not necessarily a good person.

There is implied content and discussion of sexual harassment and assault.

This is a world where people are often racist, sexist, queerphobic bigots. Sometimes, even the PC and the people they are friends with.

Voting Rules

We will tell you if write-in votes are allowed. If we do not say that write-ins are allowed, they are not. This is to prevent people from unrealistically hedging their bets.

You may proposal other options in a non-vote format, subject to approval, on non write-in votes.

We will tell you when a vote allows approved voting. If we don't say the answer is no, pick an option. We like making people commit.

Discussions makes the GM feel fuzzy.

Game Rules
When we ask you for a roll, roll 3d6. You are aiming to roll equal or under the value of your stat. If you succeed, Haruna gets through the situation with no real difficulties. If you roll above the target value, Haruna will still succeed, but this success will cost her something or add a complication.

Whenever Haruna loses something or faces hardship from a botched roll, she takes Stress. The more Stress Haruna has, the more the job and the circumstances she's in will get to her, and it'll be reflected in the narrative. Haruna must be kept under 10 Stress: if she reaches 10 Stress, she will suffer a breakdown and the results will not be great for her.

Haruna loses stress by taking time for herself, by making meaningful progress on her dreams, and by kissing tall, beautiful women.

Meta Rules
Author commentary is in italics so you know it's not story stuff.

Please don't complain about the system or the fact we have to roll dice. We've heard it before, we've heard it a thousand times across multiple quests. We're not going to change it, and it wears at our fucking souls.

Just going "oh noooo" or "Fish RNGesus Why!" is fun and fine. Complaining at length because you didn't get what you want less so.

If you have a question, tag both @open_sketchbook and @Artificial Girl. If you only tag one of us, you will be ignored. Seriously, we both write this quest.

And yes this is an alt-history type setting with openly gay and trans people, ahistoric medicine, and weird politics. Just... deal, please?

This quest employs a special system called Snippet Votes. Please read this post for more information.

Last edited:
[X] The Bookish One
I think this would be nice for him. And Haruna can flirt with the tall, nervous woman herself. A win/win/win/win!

[X] The Bookish One

Seems like she could be his type, and he's shy and insecure enough that he might have better luck with someone who is also a bit shy so as to avoid blowing it in some really stupid way.

Heavens!

Damn. How are these junior officers supposed to learn from their mistakes if they keep blowing their brains out?!

They're not.

It's just that the society they're in is extremely fault intolerant. It's quite possible Captain Ienaga would've killed himself anyway, this however gave him a good reason.

Getting blamed by an Imperial Princess is not a light accusation.

[X] The Classy Businesswoman

Rising through the ranks one broken body at a time.

But seriously the Captain was a dead man walking, the shame from fucking up so badly would have sent him to an early grave regardless of who was blamed. Letting a royal get stuck in a riot and being incapacitated in the very beginning would be deeply shameful to any military officer, especially one that follows Bushido.

...that was rough. The line about it being less romantic than the stories was spot on. And wow guilt. Suprised no explicit stress from it.

But yay shipping! I like Kenshin, I hope he takes after his namesake anime protag, and I think he totally deserves to be happy. So: we are in a random (Joseon?) port drinking with businesswomen (expats?). Not a place for long term things to start, really, so we want someone who is willing to spend a night helping a ridiculously hot officer learn flirting and things...

[ ] The Classy Businesswoman.

This is the best option for gambling on the first real try at a relationship lasting long term. Probably the best peer/partner type for him, which would be good, but also the most intimidating to him from what he's said. Hence high risk, high reward option.

[ ] The Tall Nervous One.

Very little to go on, likely to be the most exciting one. I'm imagining she's nervous for a reason that would lead to getting swept up in espionage adventures. Or she's just feeling out of her comfort zone in the teahouse, in which case it's a tossup whether having a romance option pushed in her direction would make her more or less nervous.

[X] The One With Friends.

This has potential. It is also throwing him off the deep end. It is also the most selfish option. I'd envision something along the lines of crashing their party and letting Kenshin be quiet and pretty for a little bit while bonding with the group, then talk him up, confess that he needs to learn about romance and you were wingwomaning him since you liked girls as well. Recruit the one who had been eyeing him to teach him, flirt outrageously with the three remaining friends. If luck is really with us, one will be interested.

[ ] The Bookish One

Safest option. Likely to be adorable blushing and stammering on both sides. The cuteness will be epic. They will be coming from similar places in experience with people they are attracted to, I'm guessing, but that does make them spending the entire time bogged down just being adorable at each other more likely. I do think that this is the one most likely to lead to a quick wedding and a more traditional relationship, and I'm going to be selfish and try to get Kenshin with someone more assertive after he's learned that flirting can be easy and fun.

[ ] The Older One With Somewhere To Be

Probably the most plot-relevant lead in, tbh. I'm betting we see her again regardless of if we go with her tonight.

It was fascinating, though you doubted she ever actually fought a giant squid with a hatchet
And that's why I find our lack of carrying a sword distressing. You never know when you have to fight a giant squid monster in the deck of your ship.
but it wasn't like the MPs would be looking for drunken officers in here
All according to keikaku.
You got ready to stand up and planted your hat on your head with conviction. "If you're not gonna take the initiative, I will!
And that's how we accidentally joined the Air Force.
"Gunnery officer Arisukawa reporting for duty!"
Everything that follows is gold.

Voting is open
Back