Balance Stats
❁ • Work / Life • ❁
❁ • ❁ Warrior / Princess ❁ • ❁
❁ • ❁ Radical / Respectable ❁ • ❁

Tactical Stats
Gunnery 0, Navigation +2, Command +2, Technology -4, Personal -2, Strategy +3

Stress: 3

PLEASE READ THE QUEST RULES BELOW

You collectively vote on the actions of Arisukawa Haruna, the first woman to serve openly in the Imperial Akitsukuni Navy.

This quest is set in a universe which is much like our own circa 1910, but with different politics, cultural norms, and ideas about gender and sexuality, as well as some unusual and advanced technology in places.

We are using this quest to explore themes like breaking the glass ceiling, divergent outlooks on gender and sexuality, colonialism and imperialism, and the place of royalty.

Content Warning
This quest goes some dark places.

There is violence, often explicit, often unfair, often against undeserving targets.

There are not always good options forward. The protagonist is not necessarily a good person.

There is implied content and discussion of sexual harassment and assault.

This is a world where people are often racist, sexist, queerphobic bigots. Sometimes, even the PC and the people they are friends with.

Voting Rules

We will tell you if write-in votes are allowed. If we do not say that write-ins are allowed, they are not. This is to prevent people from unrealistically hedging their bets.

You may proposal other options in a non-vote format, subject to approval, on non write-in votes.

We will tell you when a vote allows approved voting. If we don't say the answer is no, pick an option. We like making people commit.

Discussions makes the GM feel fuzzy.

Game Rules
When we ask you for a roll, roll 3d6. You are aiming to roll equal or under the value of your stat. If you succeed, Haruna gets through the situation with no real difficulties. If you roll above the target value, Haruna will still succeed, but this success will cost her something or add a complication.

Whenever Haruna loses something or faces hardship from a botched roll, she takes Stress. The more Stress Haruna has, the more the job and the circumstances she's in will get to her, and it'll be reflected in the narrative. Haruna must be kept under 10 Stress: if she reaches 10 Stress, she will suffer a breakdown and the results will not be great for her.

Haruna loses stress by taking time for herself, by making meaningful progress on her dreams, and by kissing tall, beautiful women.

Meta Rules
Author commentary is in italics so you know it's not story stuff.

Please don't complain about the system or the fact we have to roll dice. We've heard it before, we've heard it a thousand times across multiple quests. We're not going to change it, and it wears at our fucking souls.

Just going "oh noooo" or "Fish RNGesus Why!" is fun and fine. Complaining at length because you didn't get what you want less so.

If you have a question, tag both @open_sketchbook and @Artificial Girl. If you only tag one of us, you will be ignored. Seriously, we both write this quest.

And yes this is an alt-history type setting with openly gay and trans people, ahistoric medicine, and weird politics. Just... deal, please?

This quest employs a special system called Snippet Votes. Please read this post for more information.

Last edited:
The absolute 300IQ move here is actually to go, bring Aiko, set Aiko and Shinzo up and then marry Aiko since she's the wife of a prominent industrialist and therefore a suitable match for a princess.

Blowing Mum off and then going on a date with him tomorrow is also hilarious and serves our political aims even better, but is probably not an amazing idea.
That's some real Twelfth-dimensional chess right there! Exactly what one expects from an Imperial Princess!

Can those of us who don't know about ACDQ be told a little about him?
Short version: Fuck naval procurement in general and Admiral Akibara in particular.

Shinzo flat-out admitted that the Akibara naval scout was way over budget, and would have been chosen anyways even if we hadn't had the landing we did.

And further back, Admiral Akibara held trials for the Akitsukuni entry into the Great Europan Air Race, and then said none qualified when it turned out that the Akibara plane's engine was a total dumpster fire, and the Ohara plane broke records. (I do believe the Akibara pilot survived. Hopefully). Which is why the Army sprang for travel arrangements for Asuka and the rest of Ohara Airworks.

Shinzo himself is... an okay guy? And took no for an answer. Mostly tainted because of nepotism and Admiral Akibara's raging hateboner for buying anything not made by Akibara.

[X] Yeah, sorry. I gotta at least show up and keep appearances

[X] Yeah, sorry. I gotta at least show up and keep appearances.

This might not be ideal, but even if Haruna does not want to go, Shinzo was conscripted in a similar manner does not deserve the embarrassment of being stood up.

Plus being a princess has political responsibilities as well as perks (like getting the Empress to force through you joining the navy).

[X] Yeah, sorry. I gotta at least show up and keep appearances.

The actual danger is that the more we look like we're complying, the more of these will be tossed at us, on the assumption (at least among the people doing the tossing from the male side of it) that eventually one will stick.

The actual danger is that the more we look like we're complying, the more of these will be tossed at us, on the assumption (at least among the people doing the tossing from the male side of it) that eventually one will stick.

On the other hand, setting up a potential marriage alliance isn't effortless. If it doesn't work, eventually people will stop wasting their resources on it.

If we befriend the politically useful ones and ghost the cretins then I have absolutely no problems with people tossing as many politically useful bachelors at us as they can find. Mum's acting against our wishes but in accordance with our interests. Ideally we'll find one who's powerful, nice and gayer than a treeful of monkeys on nitrous oxide.

We are Arisukawa Haruna and we are going to change the damn world. We can't do that purely by being good at boats, we have to politic and the politicking starts here.

The problem, as I see it, is that children are expected regardless of sexual orientation. I'm not on board with going through with that, as I think Haruna made it clear she isn't interested in men sexually. So I am explicitly choosing to make politicing more difficult by closing off the alliance-building potential children that are the intent behind every guy that gets pushed, regardless of his orientation.

And I'm not willing to play with beards (as in, sham relationships) on account of actually committing to Aiko. So I see no positive outcomes from indulging our mother here, and quite a lot of risk in reinforcing the idea that her expectations are things we will aceede to, either with guys or with Aiko.

Tl;dr- don't lie to the world about this. It's important.

4-15: The Date
You sighed and pinched the bridge of your nose.

"I don't really have much of a choice, unfortunately. If I blow him off, Mother will just try again in the future. I need to just sit down, enjoy a nice dinner, and tell him that I'm definitely not interested in marrying him. That will put them off the trail for a little longer." You shook your head. You had a feeling that this would just keep happening, but it would likely keep happening no matter what you did. Your mother had been good at taking your avowed lesbianism in stride--she wasn't trying to find you romantic connections with men any longer, at least--but she was still trying to play politics with all the unfortunate business that implied.

"I'll see you tonight," you said to Aiko and kissed her before she had to head off for class. She smiled, grabbed your hand, and pulled you close to keep the kiss going a little longer.

"Good luck on the date." She teased. Urgh.

That evening, you arrived at the appointed place (a very expensive and exclusive Tokei restaurant) resplendent in your dress uniform, complete with your new medal at your neck and pinned to the breast of your uniform jacket. The restaurant was spacious, more so then you had expected, and was appointed in the Western style which was still all the rage amongst the new and old money of the Empire. Impressive chandeliers hung overhead, deep imperial blue table cloths and real silver tableware were all part of the place's efforts to attract and impress the monied classes. Attached to one of the finest hotels in the city, the restaurant was also a favorite of foreigners with money to spend. Almost half the people eating there were Westerners, even. Some of them visiting business people and so forth, but you also picked out the Albian ambassador, who seemed to be dining with her New Allegheny and Gallian counterparts tonight. Interesting.

Akibara Shinzo (Commander Akibara Shinzo) was waiting for you looking equally dashing (if you were generous) in his own uniform and medals, though he didn't have quite the same pedigree to his decorations as you did. As far as you knew, he hadn't seen combat. He pulled your chair out for you and you sank into it with a polite smile.

"Commander. How pleasant to see you," you opened. Let him chew on how to respond to you being militarily formal.

"Lieutenant, there's no need for us to stand on military protocol tonight, is there?" He said with a small laugh as he took his own seat. The waiter, standing nearby instantly stepped forward in his livery to pour you both a glass of pre-dinner wine and to give you both menus. He stepped away to give you space, leaving you to converse with the commander.

"Besides, I feel that to start I need to say thank you. I haven't had a chance since last year, but you saved my life. Thank you, deeply and sincerely." You frowned, trying to remember what he was talking about.

"Really? I don't think we've met before except in passing. When did I save your life?" You asked, being as polite as you could manage.

"Do you make it a habit of diving into freezing water to save downed aeronauts, then?" He replied, smiling.

"Oh!" Your mind flashed back to the struggle with the wires of the aircraft and your desperate effort to free the pilot from the wreckage of his utterly foolish little kite. "That was you?"

"It was! And I'm very grateful for your prompt efforts, though I don't remember much of it. I think I was unconscious the whole time."

"You missed the best parts, then." You said modestly. Of course it was hard to recognize him, without the goggles and scarves and drowning. "I hear you are still involved with those infernal contraptions, though. I'm surprised it didn't scare you off entirely."

"Aviation is new, there are risks. Of course, with a desk job, I don't have to be the one to take them. Never thought I'd welcome that, but a dip in frozen waters will change anyone's mind." He paused for a moment. "Or at least I should hope. One of the test pilots for the new scout took a dip not unlike mine during trials. I can't imagine she's eager to get back in the air."

"Certainly not. Of course, I'm not sure what possesses anyone to go up in the first place."

"It's the future, my dear."

"That's what I'm afraid of."

Food started arriving, so fortunately you managed to steer the topic of conversation away and onto business proper.

"I think you should know that I'm not interested in marrying you or any other man for that matter," you said with a matter of fact air as you took a sip of the first course's soup.

"I didn't expect you were. Interest doesn't play much part it in, of course. Politics. Ask me how pleased I am that my father thinks I ought to be marrying a woman who would take no interest in me." Ah, so he wasn't exactly eager for this match to work out either, which made this easier for you.

"We're on the same page, then. So all we have to do is run out the clock?" You asked.

"Well… let's not be too hasty on that front. As much as I lament the politics involved, I have to admit it's a good move for our families. The youngest cadet branch of the Imperial family and the most powerful industrialists in our country? We could weld together a rather impressive alliance there, don't you think?"

"Assuming I think wedding new money is a good move for my family, I can see your point. But I still have no interest. With things as they are now, I would have to retire to have children by the time I'm thirty. I don't plan to leave the navy to make babies for my mother to spoil."

"Understandable. You have a career you want to keep. If that's the thing keeping you from giving this serious consideration, I can speak to my father about the lack of maternity leave and it will be in front of the Admiralty board by the end of the week. Probably policy within a few years--I think it would have to wait until the war is over, otherwise it might look a bit odd," he replied as cool as a cucumber. It was the sort of conversation the wealthy and powerful were used to having--you could speak to a relative or a friend and have things changed because you wanted to have them changed. It was easy for men. So easy. Easy for you too, you realized.

You were all set to reply that his offer wouldn't change anything when you paused, a realization creeping through your brain. You'd gone into this ready to be selfish, to state your position and damn your mother and her meddling. But this… this made it not just about you.

There was a fresh class of cadets at the academy, and there were fourteen women there this year. Twenty-six total. Probably be more next year. Women who did not have your advantages. Women like Aiko who would have fought tooth and nail to earn a spot in that prestigious Imperial institution.

You sipped your wine carefully to cover up the pause in the conversation.

"That's an interesting offer." You said. "Though I'm in no particular rush on that front either."

"Of course." He smiled. "And I don't want to pressure you particularly. I'll bring it up with him anyway, honestly, though I can't say how much pull it'll have if he hasn't got a personal stake in it. Honestly, parental leave in general like how the Western militaries do it would be wonderful. I've met so many officers who barely know their kids, it's awful."

"This job takes us away a lot." You said simply.

"I'm keenly aware." He replied.

You had to admit, the food was pretty good, and the company could be worse. Shinzo was funny, in that kind of highly rehearsed way, and he was surprisingly thoughtful. Forward, for sure, always thinking of his family's interests, but aware this wasn't just a matter of politics for either of you. He was… surprisingly tolerable.

"I'm regretting not seeing action, I'll admit it, but the work I'm doing is important. It's looking more and more like scouting is the vital element of this war, and whoever spots the enemy first will have a vast advantage. From intercepted transmissions, it seems the Caspians have no idea the state of our fleet right now, but the flyovers of Port Georgia have given us a pretty clear picture of the state of things for them."

"I'm not questioning the usefulness, I suppose, but… I was tasked with shooting the things down for a month and a half, and they are delicate. What happens when every ship has a battery of guns like the ones I commanded?"

"Now you see why I find it exciting!" He said, a smile on his face. "This is totally untested territory."

You weren't sure if it was a blessing or a curse that you wandered so far off the supposed topic of the date to talk about… just about anything. At one point, the conversation actually wandered towards your actual romantic lives: he had a mistress in the lower classes, and it was tempting to obliquely mention Aiko yourself, though you stayed restrained.

"I brought her up to my dad, and I don't think I've ever seen him so angry." He explained. "Well, except maybe… when I was in secondary school, I dated this non-binary person my age, and it was like… a little serious?"

"Oh." You said. That was unfortunate.

"Yeah. My dad got them transferred to another school, and I got such a chewing out. It was infuriating. We weren't doing anything wrong."

You didn't quite want to go that far. That was a delicate situation, and could only end in tears for everyone involved. His father's reaction wasn't really unexpected, if anyone was to ask you. Those thoughts weren't meant to be voiced aloud, though.

"That's a shame." You said neutrally.

"The money and prestige, it's all so new. My grandfather sold cloth out of a wagon, and his dad lost his head because he didn't get out of the way fast enough. There's a real fear for us that it could all slip again, right? That us merchants could slide right back down the chain."

"That doesn't seem likely. Not unless we get some military dictator who wants to close the country to the West and confiscate everyone's swords again," you replied with a laugh. "Modernity is here to stay, whether we like it or not. That means more automobiles. More women working."

"More airplanes," he quipped, and you frowned.

"I suppose, if we must have them," you sighed. "What does your father think about all this?"

All this could mean 'airplanes', or could mean 'modernity' and 'women working' and stuff. You missed these kind of conversations, where every word was footwork in a duel of wits. Still, he seemed to pass the 'not in with the Purity Club' test.

"Honestly, he has no idea. If it makes money for Akibara Group, then he's for it. Airplanes pull some decent money right now, so he allows me to indulge my habit. Especially because we're the only folks in the country that make any worth anything, and I doubt that'll change any time soon. Besides that, though, we have subsidiaries that do everything from toys to steel."

"Oh, we?" Interesting. You'd thought it was his uncle that ran the company.

"We as of a few weeks ago, unfortunately. My cousin was the one who stood to inherit, but no longer. We're kind of keeping it hushed up, so don't tell anyone, okay?"

"Ah, I'm sorry to hear that. How unfortunate." There seemed to be a lot of disowning in the new money classes. You were starting to realize how much more wiggle room being a princess by blood made you. There was that story a few years ago where they like, murdered that Kobayashi heiress with acid or something, wasn't there? Hideous.

"It is what it is. Hence the shore posting, which I imagine will continue until my term of service runs out and I can start my training to take over the company. I'd prefer to stay in the Navy--we're going to do great things with these aircraft--but it can't be helped." He settled back in his chair as dishes were cleared and the next course was brought.

"I'm curious about you though," he continued. "Especially since I've mostly been talking about myself! How rude of me. Have you ever actually… well, tried dating a man?"

"Have you?" You riposted in a polite tone. You were used to questions like that.

"I did, actually. It didn't work out," he shook his head. "Just… no sparks, you know? He was very nice. Handsome. Had a good family--we were at school together. Nothing wrong with him, just me."

Ah. You weren't exactly used to men asking you that question seriously. It was usually some sort of attempt to make you doubt yourself.

"I'll admit I haven't." You said, choosing your words carefully. "But I've never felt any kind of inclination to at all. For example, as much as I've tried to focus on our conversation, I keep finding myself distracted by the woman behind you." Said woman was, you were pretty sure, the daughter of the Kyburg Union ambassador, and she was striking. If you were still single… your little fantasy was interrupted by the man's reply.

"Commander Kusukabe said that would happen." Shinzo said with a laugh. "I knew he'd served with you and I told him I was going to have a chance to meet you and wanted to know more. He said you were one of the bravest people you knew, serious about your work, and very much into women." He chuckled.

"How's Kenshin doing these days?"

"Surviving. Submarine office isn't a place for the light-hearted, you know. Poor bastards have really been through the wringer so far. He's fighting tooth and nail for better reliability, because we're losing more subs to mechanical failure than to the enemy, but the yards just want to get them out faster."

"I-02 almost sunk a half-dozen times when I was aboard her." You mentioned off-handedly.

"I should hope. That's what it's for."

You both laughed politely. Actually a decent joke! Would wonders never cease?

After dessert, Shinzo lead you out of the restaurant to the car he had waiting. You attempting to deflect and insist you could walk, but it was rather late and, honestly, you didn't want to. The car could get you back to your hotel, and back to Aiko, much more quickly.

"Now, I'm not going to be the worst about this and ask if you would like to spend the night at my flat, much as it'll disappoint my father that I didn't even try, but I do want you to know I enjoyed myself. You're a wonderful conversationalist. What do you say we do this again sometime?"

[ ] That'd be lovely, actually. And it might keep my mother distracted.
[ ] Perhaps, but I don't want to entertain this charade further.

This is not Haruna making some kind of commitment to Boyfriend here, she's still gay as fuck and still not really interested in marrying. If you say yes, the 'dates' will continue infrequently, as will options from there, and it'll please your mother and the Admiral. If you say no, Haruna can bow out with her dignity and poise intact and get back to doing gay things.
Adhoc vote count started by open_sketch on Jun 19, 2019 at 5:56 PM, finished with 129 posts and 45 votes.

Last edited:
Voting is open
Back