OMG, Fish... You just clued Azula in to the concept of the MASER.
*suddenly remembers Combustion Man*
HOLY CRAPFLAKES!!

IDK. I think I'm missing a lot of pieces, but I haven't slept well in days so crashing now.

"Ladies, I dislike naval warfare.

Ladies, I hate naval warfare.

Ladies, I hate naval warfare!

I hate the way our feet sway and our knees nearly buckle as the waves crash against the side of our ship. I hate the way we can barely hear the captain's voice over the pitter-patter of the water splashing against the wooden deck. I hate the frantic, running sailors who are more prone to praying to some unknown sea spirit than to actually pass weapons onto the next man.

I hate the way the sailors ignore me, fearing some unknown doom on the horizon rather than I, who measure only up to their waist. I hate the way my girls are shivering and swaying to in a show of marine inexperience. I hate my own inexperience in marine combat as well.

But do you know what I hate most of all, in this damp, dark situation that we are in, ladies? It isn't the spray of water that hits my cheeks every few seconds because we are trying to go faster. It isn't that I might feel useless standing on a wooden ship, being chased by more wooden ships. It's not even these damnable, soggy slippers that the water has ruined.

No, what I hate most are the Agni-damned pirates who interrupt me just when I'm about to get some beauty sleep!" Yes, this is the first time we actually spoke at lengths with the girls outside of telling them what to do. I understand it's not the more rousing of speeches, but that isn't what we're going for. We simply want to express our irritation. We want the moment to be seared into their memories as to why it is never a good idea to fuck with Azula. "Now, I know you girls have prepared for combat, but you've never fought on a ship. That's fine. You earn no demerits from not following me into the den of battle, onto other ships."

We take a deep breath now and take a moment to look upon our girls. Lin and Mai have grim-set faces, signaling they will follow us no matter what we say or how afraid they are. Why?

Well, it doesn't matter.

"Just don't try to stop me. I'm going to talk to our honorable Captain Guai." We watch the dark waters through the curtains. It's hard to sense heat amidst waters so cold; we can barely see passed the water outlining our boat. Our voice drops to a hiss as we think of the comforts denied to us. "Then I'm going to enter some aggressive negotiations with some very rude people."

The junk is rocking back and forth as we climb from the deck to the upper part of the boat, where Captain Guai is steering and shouting out commands.

The night is dark and the oceans are calm enough, it seems, but not enough to keep everything still. Our vision swims briefly, and this effect never goes away as the whole world seems to be rocking at a sickening pace. Back and forth, back and forth, we nearly stumble again on the third step before we catch the wooden railings at our side.

The sailors are running about frantically, so filled with fear and so easily catching our attention. We do a quick count in our head. In addition to the captain, there are fourteen crew members on the deck; the cook and the cabin boy are below decks, as is another scholarly man who has robes with the mark of Fire Nation University and enough books in his hands to last us a month's worth of campfires. None of those below can help, and from the looks of the sleep deprived girls behind me, we don't think our girls should either. Cramming for long hours will make the girls underperform. They can get killed, or worse, damage the books.

Unlike in the modern world, books such as those law tomes are actually worth enough to buy a small house in the Capital.

Still, we have Lin and Mai beside us, and that is enough to allow our hackles to fall. We step onto the top deck, some distances away. "Hello, Captain," we say, as if discussing the weather.

He stares at us for a moment as if not really believing that we are there, before saying, "Milady, it's not safe up here. You would be best to stay below the deck."

"How many are following us?" We motion towards the scope that is strapped to his belt, completely ignoring the sense of urgency that is plainly displayed on his face and the rage boiling within us. This is all a play of power, a game Azula knows best. "It's rather dark."

"I… you…" He sounds as if he is about to choke, how adorable.

"Oh, and it's probably best you address me properly, Captain Guai. You never know when decorum is necessary," We add, as if we are saying just an unnecessary afterthought and not the threat that it completely sounds like it is.

"There are three ships," He says at last, after getting whatever it is that is bothering him out of his throat. Agitatedly, he grumbles, "Now, if you're satisfied, I'd like to get back to work and…"

"My princess," We whisper.

"What?"

"My princess," We say again, more firmly and loud enough for all above deck to hear. "You will address me properly, Captain, and I will witness your… Captaining. Do carry on, we wouldn't want to be caught by the pirates would we?"

It is all a power play in one form or another. The fine captain and his crew need to know that we are standing with them, and thus earning their respect. They need to see us watching unobstructingly, to know that we trust them.

Even if we are haughty, even if we are rude, it is expected. That is the way of Chinese culture, and it is no different in the Fire Nation.

Only the corruption that hinders is bad; all other forms are tolerable.

Far too many people do not understand this of our culture, but it is no matter. Here, the sailors expect the Princess to do as the Princess does. They do not expect the Princess to be meek or weak, like I am.

In doing so, am I becoming more like Azula? Or in seeking their respect, she is becoming more like me?

There isn't even a need to communicate between us, on either point.

We all know that we should only stick to our strengths.

"Captain, how is it that they are moving faster than we are?" We ask suddenly. The dark shapes of the pirate vessels are coming into view, and they loom in the darkness of the night. The one in the center is larger, sleeker, and metallic, but the two others look wooden.

There is no sail on the one in the middle, only black, choking smoke. There is smoke on the others, but…

"It's their firebenders… my Princess," Captain Guai grumbles gruffly. "They are using firebending to cut away currents and propel their ships."

We blink in surprise through our haze of hatred for a brief moment. "How are their boats able to withstand such heat?"

The Captain Guai shrugs. "It's something the pirates use to laminate their wood with. I hear it's some kind of seaweed that prevents their ships from burning. Now do you have any more questions, or can I try to save our lives?"

"By all means," We allow a shallow nod. "But it will do us little good considering close they are now."

Captain Guai spits out the side of the boat, "Damn it! If you hadn't been distracting me—"

"Princess. And it wouldn't have mattered much, considering how fast they are," We check our nails as we say this. "And that sounds very close to insubordination."

"Insubordination? I'm not your spirits damned navy!" He shouts.

"… And that sounds like treachery," We add with a smile. Ah, they are close enough to sense now.

We turn about, and see the two galleys less than fifty meters away and filled to the brim with all sorts of dirty riff-raft that we want to have nothing to do with. I should mention now that I hate the 'Pirates of the Caribbean' series. No, scratch that, I love it. I love how hot the characters are and I love the wacky action…

… but none of this is like that at all! This isn't fun! This is terrible! I'm wet, I'm cold, and I'm sleep deprived. And I want to burn everything.

The good captain and his crew are silent towards me; obviously I have overstepped my line. That is fine, because they are also concentrating on their work.

We ride the waves into an archipelago of rocks, too small for settlement and too large for navigation. A jolt of strange emotion runs through us, and we turn towards the Captain Guai, only to see a mad gleam of concentration in his eyes. He will not pay attention to anything but steering now, and I don't think we want to distract him.

We don't remember much of what happens next. We might have started puking in our mouths and the ship might have swung left and left worse than any rollercoaster. I always have and always will hate rollercoasters. But no, we do not remember, only that everything is a blur.

And then, suddenly, one of the galleys swings close and the two ships' sides clash.

'I've had just about enough,' Azula growls.

'Urp,' I agree readily.

Blue fire streams out of our hands and over the ship like a flamethrower at first. It does not reach enough and it does not burn nearly enough. Having had enough, we jump over the rails and start flinging and thrashing out in a way that will tire us quickly—but such is the way since firebending very rarely utilizes long-range-combat. Even when we are pioneering into strange arts, we still fall back on what we are used to most.

Raging balls of blue fire streak across the night sky, lighting up the dark waters and smashing against the galley. For a moment, the pirates are laughing at us. But soon, they laugh no longer, because our fire doesn't just burn.

It explodes. It smashes. It is force onto itself.

Chips of wood fly—is this what it feels like to have superhuman senses, where even time noticeably slows?—not as quickly as we wish. A few pieces fly close, and we reach for it. Sticky, dark… this is how these galleys sneak up on unsuspecting vessels, but the hot, sticky substance? It doesn't burn.

'So it not only prevents fires, it also holds the galleys together?' Azula turns our head and we see another galley fast approaching.

If our junk does not turn and disengage from this galley fast enough, the other galley will simply trap us in between the two ships. 'And we can't even push them away… the fires will damage our ship more than theirs.'

'Heat doesn't just burn does it?' Azula asks tartly, knowing my answer already.

The conclusion is a sound one: even if this seaweed tar is not flammable, it is susceptible to melting. After all, the pieces of wood we picked up are not just covered in this black, gooey stuff, but soaked in it as well. And even if it cannot burn with the blue fires… 'All things can burn.'

But that isn't the only reason we have come to this conclusion. With a sense for heat, we can feel what is hottest near us. While the seaweed tar cannot burn, it does retain heat. In fact, it's hotter than even the few pieces of wood we blew up and are now burning.

Wooden beams begin to creak with the galley. At first, it is soft, but it grows louder and louder, like a giant in dire pain.

These scoundrels of the sea begin to panic, some going as far as jumping into the water.

'No. They attacked us. They are not allowed to escape.' The border of our vision is red with the rage finally unleashed. Our hands reach out and lift, and the pirates find themselves being thrown—by the blood within their body, by the bones that hold them together, and by their very flesh—back onto the deck of the galley that is twisting and warping in delightful agony as heat transfers and gathers and builds up within its body.

"Come then! Be swallowed by the hot waters! Boil until there is nothing left!" We cry shrilly in joy as the results of our long hours of experimentation finally bear their fruits. We stand at the edge of the boat, as the pirate galley warps into the twisted form that resembles more of a pretzel than ship, bubbling horrors of dark liquids, agonizing wails of wood, and the last throes of villains all mixed into one. "Don't bother praying to the ancient spirit you worship in your last moments, because she has no mercy for you!"

And, as if the world just loves to interrupt us in our victory and spoil any celebration we might have, a bolt of lightning cuts close against us. Oh, it is too close; it even knocks the headdress off of our head and spills our neatly tied hair.

The ironclad streams towards us rapidly as the second galley rams into our junk's side, making an audible crunch that causes all aboard to wince. At the bow of the ironclad warship, a single man in tarnished Fire Nation military armor stands, his form strange to Azula, but vaguely familiar to me.

His arms are wide and straight, spinning slowly in a spiral around him as if he is trying to draw the Taoist symbol in the air. But then hails us with all the charisma of Johnny Depp, just like in that film. There is a jolly cheer to his demeanor, but it is overshadowed by the electricity sparking in his hands—an attack much faster than we can manage with heat, and too far reaching to counter with fire—and the two dozen or more dirty scum behind him. "Ho there, merchant vessel! Surrender and prepare to be boarded by crew of Lightning Bolt Jolt!"​

Last edited:
That was was some kind of flipped Major moment there.

It was a little surprising that your SI doesn't remember her face or name, yet has this sudden injection of PotC that even shows up more than once, but ok, memory's weird anyway. The random bits of stream-of-consciousness narrative a bit disjointed and bizarre. I can completely believe that you had written this while sleep-deprived... although since the POV character is also supposed to be sleep-deprived, suffering from sea-sickness, and is in the middle of a rather hectic situation, I guess it's... kind of appropriate?

On the other hand, it's nice to see Azula cut loose a bit.

We want the moment to be seared into their memories as to why it is never a good idea to fuck with Azula.
A good lesson to learn, indeed.
"And that sounds very close to insubordination."
"Insubordination? I'm not your spirits damned navy!" He shouts.
"… And that sounds like treachery," We add with a smile.
Heh.
And I want to burn everything.
Eeeexcellent.
Our hand reach out and lift, and the pirates find themselves being thrown—by the blood within their body, by the bones that hold them together, and by their very flesh—back onto the deck of the galley that is twisting and warping in delightful agony as heat transfers and gathers and builds up within its body.
[Major-ness intensifies.]

I hate the way we can barely hear the captain's voice over the pitter patter off the water splashing against the wooden deck.
Pitter-patter is usually hyphenated. More importantly, of, rather than off?

"Hello Captain," we say, as if discussing the weather.
Comma of direct address: "Hello, Captain," &c.

Only the corruption that hinders is bad, all other forms are tolerable.
,→;

We turn about, and see the two galleys less than fifty meters away and filled to the brim with all sorts of dirty riff raft that we want to have nothing to do with.
Riff-raff, rather than riff raft?

Our hand reach out and lift, and the pirates find themselves being thrown—by the blood within their body, by the bones that hold them together, and by their very flesh—back onto the deck of the galley that is twisting and warping in delightful agony as heat transfers and gathers and builds up within its body.
Hmm... should that be 'hands reach out and lift' (plural) or 'hand reaches out and lifts' (singular)?

We cry shrilly in joy as the results of our long hours of experimentation finally bare their fruits.
Bear, rather than bare?

The iron ship steams towards us rapidly as the second galley rams into our junk's side, making an audible crunch that causes all aboard to wince.
An, rather than the? Using the would indicate that you expect the reader to already know that there was an iron ship about—but it wasn't introduced until now, as all pirate ships up to this point have all been some kind of specially-treated wood. (This genuinely confused me when reading it initially. I thought I had missed something and went back to check if any iron was mentioned before.)

Also, are you sure you mean steams? Are you using it as reference to a steam engine or did you mean streams?

I read that first part with Azula using the thickest German accent a 10 year old girl can muster.

Will she be giving a speech on how she isn't a human as well?

Last edited:
I never managed to make myself watch all of LoK - somehow it seemed to me much worse that ATLA. From the little bit I did watch I got two major negative impressions: Korra being an asshole (as opposed to Aang being just ignorant and naive), and power levels all over the place (further exacerbated by lack of war pressure and advent of industry, both of which are bound to negatively reflect on benders' average ability). Because of the latter I'm really uncomfortable with LoK chars being ported into ATLA fic.

Even assuming that scientific understanding of electricity made learning cold fire easier mentally, combat use is still supposed to require immense concentration, mental discipline and power, no? Not something you'd expect in a city-scale mobster. And in ATLA timeline there's no widespread knowledge of electricity, and cold fire is exclusive to royal bloodline. So how the hell some pirate knows it? More importantly, how can fire nation pirates even exist? I got the impression that Fire Navy almost dominated the seas at that time, and while they'd ignore small time scum bulling local fishermen and traders, metal ship going rogue or being boarded is an affront to be corrected with all due haste.

Last edited:
I never managed to make myself watch all of LoK - somehow it seemed to me much worse that ATLA. From the little bit I did watch I got two major negative impressions: Korra being an asshole (as opposed to Aang being just ignorant and naive), and power levels all over the place (further exacerbated by lack of war pressure and advent of industry, both of which are bound to negatively reflect on benders' average ability). Because of the latter I'm really uncomfortable with LoK chars being ported into ATLA fic.

Even assuming that scientific understanding of electricity made learning cold fire easier mentally, combat use is still supposed to require immense concentration, mental discipline and power, no? Not something you'd expect in a city-scale mobster. And in ATLA timeline there's no widespread knowledge of electricity, and cold fire is exclusive to royal bloodline. So how the hell some pirate knows it? More importantly, how can fire nation pirates even exist? I got the impression that Fire Navy almost dominated the seas at that time, and while they'd ignore small time scum bulling local fishermen and traders, metal ship going rogue or being boarded is an affront to be corrected with all due haste.
This isn't Lightning Bolt Zolt. It's Lightning Bolt Jolt.

This isn't Lightning Bolt Zolt. It's Lightning Bolt Jolt.

That doesn't really change anything. It's still a pirate that somehow uses royal family technique and Navy ship. It breakes suspension of disbelief and in this otherwise awesome story it kind of hurts.

Well, I suppose Navy ship is passable if he only recently stole it, and enraged admirals haven't had the time yet to catch and roast the overconfident bastard. But lightning is plain unbelievable. Besides, a warship catapult would serve as a 'extra-long-ranged weapon of imminent defeat' just as well.

Last edited:
Now I'm imagining you using Scorpions voice when you grabbed those pirates with their heat.

"GET OVER HERE!"

Same with Hama(?) and Bloodbending. Which Katara somehow copied in 10 seconds after she knew it could be done.

And was it ever stated anywhere that it was limited to the Royal family?

We also know that unique styles and talents exist, like combustion man (and for that matter Azula). Maybe this guy just had an affinity for Lightning.

If Toph can develop metalbending on her own, why couldn't he do the same with lightning? Even more so since he knows it's possible?

Toph is the best earthbender in her generation and likely second in the world after Bumi. Also, taught by original earthbenders rather than humans, and perceives the world through her bending. Unless this new guy rates among, say, 20 most skilled firebending masters of the time, the chances of him doing the same are slim to none, and if he is, the question then is what the hell someone of such talent and dedication to the art doing among common pirates?

Hama's a powerfull master, has been singlemindedly working on that skill day and night for years and it works one night in a month.

I'm not saying that it's flat out impossible, I'm saying that a common pirate of all people having it is unbelievable.

Last edited:
It's a hobby.

When he learns it's Azula he's gonna high five her, regale her with tales of her uncle, and join the party because that sounds fun too.

I would expect this man to be wildly famous. No, not just famous, Infamous! Luckily we have at least three amigo's to oppose him.

That doesn't really change anything. It's still a pirate that somehow uses royal family technique and Navy ship. It breakes suspension of disbelief and in this otherwise awesome story it kind of hurts.

Well, I suppose Navy ship is passable if he only recently stole it, and enraged admirals haven't had the time yet to catch and roast the overconfident bastard. But lightning is plain unbelievable. Besides, a warship catapult would serve as a 'extra-long-ranged weapon of imminent defeat' just as well.
Doesn't the Fire Nation have hundreds if not thousands of these ships? Since the war's been going on for decades aren't there going to be some deserters? Maybe the crew mutinied for some reason or other. Plus the sea is a very big place with plenty of hiding spots.

Who thinks someone in the Navy is supplementing their pay with 'Pirate Activity'?

Yeah, the Junk may be sinking..
It would be fitting, as Azula would promptly investigate it.

And would probably requesition the ship as a replacement for Cpt what-his-name for "admirable service and determination of the princess" and then conscript him to be her glorified ferry boy.

Since you were able to bend the guys that fell in the water, shouldn't you be able to bend the lightning guy a bit, so he loses concentration and flash fries himself.

Back