Name one?
Otherwise there aren't any.

That depends on what's being asked: are you looking for morally grey characters, which is what shade's suffering from (since he's basically saying you're either good or you're evil), or are you looking for people who were evil, but were smart about how they went about things?

Narcissa Malfoy is an example of a morally grey character, in that she doesn't give a shit about the good guys or bad guys, just her family. The goblins in general count as well.

If you're looking for evil people who were smart about their plans and ideas, you have stuff like Barty Crouch Jr. and his plan working out just fine.

Stereotyping is bad, 'mkay?

The entirety maybe not. The majority if they're evil? Yes.

Voldemort 'dueling' instead of simply going at it brutal-death.

You mean in the graveyard? He did it because his death at the hands of a baby hurt his rep, and it was a method to both get rid of Harry and cement his rep at the same time, showing that Harry couldn't do anything against him.

Quirinus deciding 'choking' is better than the wandless inferno he could create with the snap of his fingers.

Uh, Harry's the one who went for the choking, Quirrel did not.

The Basilisk never ONCE deciding to wait happily outside of Gryffindor's tower, or barging in through the portrait since it could apparently shrink/enlarge itself.

Now you're just making stuff up.

And why would it want to wait 'happily outside Gryffindor's tower'? It doesn't give one fig for Gryffindor himself or the children of his house.

Pettigrew grabbing a knife and slicing Harry Potter's neck one night, or leaving him after clearly overhearing the 'adventures' of Ron and Harry in first and second year. -I mean, two years Voldemort's trying to come back...run for it, don't stay there.
He had three years to do it.

Yep. Voldemort tried to come back - and got thwarted by a couple of first years, meaning he's not exactly something to worry about to Pettigrew's mind, plus as a rat he's pretty much safe, since no one besides the marauders knew about his animagus abilities.

Participating literally in the competition -this is Harry's fault.
Why not just 'Enter the dragon arena, throw a flipendo, then surrender'.
'Float above the lake for a while, then surrender'.
'Take a step inside the maze, go 'oh my' and surrender'.

Because he didn't know the cup was going to be a portkey, which would take him somewhere else when he won? And he was actively trying to win by the end?

Even in the beginning, considering the people talking about him and what they were saying, I can see why he seriously attempted to compete.

Why insist telling Umbridge Voldemort's back? Lie to her. She's a whiny spoiled pink woman. Tell her it's Rita Skeeter who's doing these rumors.

Him acting in an understandable manner for an abused and socially isolated teenager who's desperate to get people to acknowledge a major threat is somehow wrong?

And ask Dobby to check if Sirius is alive or not. Really.

He asked Kreacher, and there was really no reason to suspect Kreacher would do what he did considering prior experience with house elves. He'd even been further built up through prior visions which had proven true.

You suddenly get the Felix Felicis. Please, don't use it for Slughorn to get his memories. Use the Imperius if you really want to make the guy give it to you, or torture him a bit. He's a coward, intimidate or threaten him through political connections, and he'll cave. Keep it for when you face the horde of Death Eaters rampaging through Hogwarts and use Liquid Luck TM to win by brutally murdering them all.

If you can't understand why threatening or torturing a teacher for information that might confirm a hypothesis is stupid, then frankly shade, you are stupid evil.

Seventh year...camping!
...No, in fact, on the seventh year I've got nothing. I've removed most of it from memory since it wasn't at Hogwarts.

So ... no actual point?

There are smart people, I'm sure Bill and Fleur fit the description, and Percy too. But see, they don't get 'shown' a hell of a lot like Harry&Co. And Voldemort.
Come on Voldemort.
You can do better.

I think people like to gloss over this, so let me repeat:

He. Won.

No, really. He won. Completely. He ruled the country through a puppet government by the end. The only reason he lost was because Harry was blessed by the Plot Fairy that pretty much no one could have seen coming.

If it's 'stupid', and it works? It ain't stupid.

This is stupid.
It's as if you're expecting logic and a coherent storyline out a Children's book, which wasn't even meant to have more than one release.
Jesus.

One of the reasons I can enjoy the books as a relative adult, is because the people in it as a whole and the events/plot/descriptions are absolutely absurd. Which is highly amusing, I might add.

This is stupid.
It's as if you're expecting logic and a coherent storyline out a Children's book, which wasn't even meant to have more than one release.
Jesus.

One of the reasons I can enjoy the books as a relative adult, is because the people in it as a whole and the events/plot/descriptions are absolutely absurd. Which is highly amusing, I might add.
:???:

The storyline was perfectly coherent, and in cases where logic might be applicable, it usually was applied.

The people were perfectly relatable (and is, in fact, one of the major reasons HP got the popularity it did), and the plot was rather generic, rather than absurd (people actually noted down multiple similarities between it and Star Wars, for instance).

No. The Harry Potter books are absolutely ridicilous. It's as if it has the 'absurdity' genre tacked on behind Adventure/Fantasy/Romance.

I mean, you really don't see it?

How it makes light of Harry's abuse.
How Dudley get a pig's tail.
How Dumbledore is crazy.
How the 'protections' of the Philosopher's Stone is more of a glorified obstacle course.
How Hagrid is utterly dysfunctional / mentally deficient, but it still allowed around children.
How there's a god-damn army of child-eating spiders in the forest.
How every single wizard and witch have no idea how to 'blend in' with muggles.
The whole prophecy debacle.
The magic system as a whole.
House Elves.
How the Weasleys are piss poor... When they have magic.

And the list goes on.

It's not badly written. It's more of a parody of a 'semi serious children's tale' - it's hilarious.

No. The Harry Potter books are absolutely ridicilous. It's as if it has the 'absurdity' genre tacked on behind Adventure/Fantasy/Romance.

I mean, you really don't see it?

How it makes light of Harry's abuse.

It doesn't make light of it so much as never address it beyond a cursory acknowledgement and a justification for Harry's mannerisms and passivity. Since, you know, that's not what the story's about?

How Dudley get a pig's tail.

... Because it's a book about magic? Really, if you're going to read a fantasy novel and complain about the fact that magic exists in it, I don't think you should even bother picking it up.

How Dumbledore is crazy.

Systematic senility, creating a mysterious and eccentric persona, yet backing it up with ability. It's a fairly cliche mentor archetype, you know.

How the 'protections' of the Philosopher's Stone is more of a glorified obstacle course.

Except the last one, which is the real protection, and can't really be broken by a thief who can't match Dumbledore in magical knowledge. It's actually a nifty way of lulling the would-be thief in a sense of false confidence, and driving him deeper into the protections. Provided there's an alarm system in-built - which is my headcanon, and possibly the reason why Dumbledore arrived when he did.

How Hagrid is utterly dysfunctional / mentally deficient, but it still allowed around children.

Er, he isn't dangerous himself, and at best you could say he's naive and gullible. Mentally deficient? Wut.

How there's a god-damn army of child-eating spiders in the forest.

Magical species, to point out the dissonance between the real world and magic. What, are you going to complain about the existence of dragons as well? Seeing as how it's about as relevant, given going into the forest isn't allowed. Hence the forbidden.

How every single wizard and witch have no idea how to 'blend in' with muggles.

That's actually played for laughs quite well. And some do know - Crouch, for instance. And Kingsley.

Since wizards don't really interact with the muggle world for the most part and don't even care to, since they can just cover up any problems with magic, this actually makes sense in hindsight.

The whole prophecy debacle.

You don't read much fantasy, do you? Prophecy's practically a staple of the fantasy genre.

The magic system as a whole.

Magic is, by itself, 'absurd', and HP magic does not somehow break fictional bounds on magic (which don't exist in the first place, but I digress). It's actually quite interesting, since it's one of the relatively few examples of an entire society being built completely around magic.

I'm starting to get the feeling fantasy books aren't for you.

How the Weasleys are piss poor... When they have magic. Jesus christ. Someone needs to be shot.

Because magic is not somehow a game changer in a society built around it, and the Weasleys were born and raised in said society, meaning they'd have little idea of how to manipulate the muggle side of things?

And the list goes on.

A lot of your problems seem to stem from the genre and setting conceits. A lot of others seems to be on looking at magical society from the point of view of someone who doesn't have magic and does not exist in said society.

It's not badly written. It's more of a parody of a 'semi serious children's tale'

Not really. It works fairly well as a story.

Harry Potter is a Fairytale.

That's really all there is to it. The boy who suffers ridiculous amounts of abuse that should have left him completely dysfunctional, suddenly being told he's the most special little snowflake in the world. On his birthday. Where he leaves his horrible "Evil" relatives to go on magical adventures.

From there, everything that happens good or bad, is made so that Harry's life seems Awesome, filled with wonder and cheer.

Magical species, to point out the dissonance between the real world and magic. What, are you going to complain about the existence of dragons as well? Seeing as how it's about as relevant, given going into the forest isn't allowed. Hence the forbidden.
Most of your points are valid. However this part, not so much, when detention is where they go to said forest.

Last edited:
There's two ways to look at Harry Potter. Either it's an amazing work of art packed with intelligent thought, or it's an admittedly average story with more holes than Swiss cheese. But I've seen this debate so often that it's just gotten tired, awful, and usually dissolves into a flame war.

I keep getting reminded of Publicola's "Wait, What?" series of drabbles.
The Wizarding World is quite the horrifying place if you take it seriously.
Which is why I try not to. :p

You mean in the graveyard? He did it because his death at the hands of a baby hurt his rep, and it was a method to both get rid of Harry and cement his rep at the same time, showing that Harry couldn't do anything against him.

Uh, Harry's the one who went for the choking, Quirrel did not.

Now you're just making stuff up.

And why would it want to wait 'happily outside Gryffindor's tower'? It doesn't give one fig for Gryffindor himself or the children of his house.

Yep. Voldemort tried to come back - and got thwarted by a couple of first years, meaning he's not exactly something to worry about to Pettigrew's mind, plus as a rat he's pretty much safe, since no one besides the marauders knew about his animagus abilities.

Because he didn't know the cup was going to be a portkey, which would take him somewhere else when he won? And he was actively trying to win by the end?

Even in the beginning, considering the people talking about him and what they were saying, I can see why he seriously attempted to compete.

Him acting in an understandable manner for an abused and socially isolated teenager who's desperate to get people to acknowledge a major threat is somehow wrong?

He asked Kreacher, and there was really no reason to suspect Kreacher would do what he did considering prior experience with house elves. He'd even been further built up through prior visions which had proven true.

If you can't understand why threatening or torturing a teacher for information that might confirm a hypothesis is stupid, then frankly shade, you are stupid evil.

So ... no actual point?

I think people like to gloss over this, so let me repeat:

He. Won.

No, really. He won. Completely. He ruled the country through a puppet government by the end. The only reason he lost was because Harry was blessed by the Plot Fairy that pretty much no one could have seen coming.

If it's 'stupid', and it works? It ain't stupid.

By the definition given to us in the fic, i.e. either you "love" or you're stupid evil, Narcissa falls into the former category. As for Barty, his plans were filled with more holes than Swiss cheese an only worked because plot.

Wait didn't he Dudley need to get surgery to remove that pigs tail?!

That's actually pretty messed up.
Surprised that didn't show up on the ministry's radar.

You're assuming the Ministry gives a shit about filthy muggles.
Well I bet some do.
Though this is more on how a perfectly formed pigs tail could potentially break the secrecy they have going on.

Sure its a single freak case but Doctors talk and document.

Actually looking back Hagrid stated that he tried turning Dudley into a pig and the tail was the result of him screwing up(Though the wand being snapped is mostly to blame for that.)

That's actually pretty neglectful, so many things could have gone wrong with him trying to transmute a muggle with a broken wand.

Shit he could have actually killed Dudley with that stunt.
Huh now that's a fanfic idea...

By the definition given to us in the fic, i.e. either you "love" or you're stupid evil, Narcissa falls into the former category.

I thought it's 'either you're good, or you're evil, no in-between'. That seems to be what shade is going for.

As for Barty, his plans were filled with more holes than Swiss cheese an only worked because plot.

What were the specific problems, out of curiosity?

I thought it's 'either you're good, or you're evil, no in-between'. That seems to be what shade is going for.

But Rowling Verse has 'You are good if you love.' Meaning that Narcissa, since she loves her family, is good.
That said, I do concede on many of the points you bring forth, and at the same time I understand it's a fairy tale, so one shouldn't 'dig' too deeply into it, but...
If as you say it was Harry who went for the choking, why couldn't Quirinus just snap his fingers and incinerate him? 'Prophecy protection'. I get that. But then, just conjure a large rock and let gravity take care of it.
Quirinus Quirrell is considered weak out of his 'stuttering', but he is, in fact, one of the strongest wizards of the series.

1) He, alone, and yet without Voldemort's aid, broke through Gringotts defenses. That means he fought dragons, charms, and curses to get to a highly protected vault that even the Goblin said it would be extremely dangerous to reach.
2) He has a peerless knowledge of Wandless magic and Fire Conjuration at the very least, as he need but to wave a hand to summon forth waves of fire.
3) He manages to kill unicorns.

Mind you, he is powerful, and if anyone in this forum actually 'took his place' they'd probably get the stone by the end of the day with minimum effort, but the fact is, he makes gross mistakes. Mistakes a 70+ Dark Lord and a (what, thirty+?) Wizard who was also a muggle studies teacher before shouldn't make.

If he's hurting you by touching you, then fly and levitate in the air.
He's eleven.
Send a blast of Flipendo his way if you can't muster the concentration to fly away.
I could go on, but there is a lot of potential which 'author fiat' outright stifles and murders.

See at the end of book seven.
Neville rants against Voldemort, and instead of Voldemort using his signature 'Avada Kedavra' to shut him up, he uses a stunner.
A stunner.
Voldemort uses a stunner on Neville Longbottom rather than an Avada Kedavra.

That right there is an Author Fiat moment.

*That said, we'll watch and see how the situation evolves.

But Rowling Verse has 'You are good if you love.' Meaning that Narcissa, since she loves her family, is good.

But Lucious Malfoy loved his family too. I don't think that's what it is.

That said, I do concede on many of the points you bring forth, and at the same time I understand it's a fairy tale, so one shouldn't 'dig' too deeply into it, but...
If as you say it was Harry who went for the choking, why couldn't Quirinus just snap his fingers and incinerate him? 'Prophecy protection'. I get that. But then, just conjure a large rock and let gravity take care of it.

Actually, I checked the book again, and Quirrell does touch Harry of his own volition - in the beginning.

See, the sequence of events is this:
- Voldemort figures out Harry has the stone in his pocket.
- Harry tries to run for it.
- Voldemort orders Quirrell to seize him. It being easy to physically accomplish the task, Quirrell seizes him physically. It should be noted - had Harry not had the protection he did, this would have worked. There's no need to use magic when there's a simple physical alternative. If someone throws a ball at a wizard you, you aren't going to cast a spell to conjure and animate a mitt to catch it, or levitate it - you'll raise your hand and catch it. Same reason.
- Quirrell is burnt. As Voldemort wonders what the hell Quirrell is doing, and why he isn't catching Harry (he's a face on the back of Quirrell's head - supernatural senses, he doesn't have), Quirrell tells him he can't do it, he's getting burnt catching him.
- Fed up of this whole thing, and thinking it'd be better for him to kill Harry and take the stone than bother keeping Harry alive for any future use, he orders Quirrell to kill him.
- Unfortunately for them, Quirrell is now near Harry, since he tried to physically seize him, and Harry now knows Quirrell's hurt by his touch. Given that Harry's got excellent reflexes and Quirrell's are not noted to be anything special, what follows is obvious - Quirrell tries to go for his wand or snap his fingers, Harry intercepts by grabbing hold of his face. The intense pain of his face burning prevents Quirrell from casting a spell on Harry, as he flails about in pain, and Harry grabs hold, burning him to death with his bare hands.

Quirinus Quirrell is considered weak out of his 'stuttering', but he is, in fact, one of the strongest wizards of the series.

1) He, alone, and yet without Voldemort's aid, broke through Gringotts defenses. That means he fought dragons, charms, and curses to get to a highly protected vault that even the Goblin said it would be extremely dangerous to reach.

I thought Voldemort helped him? I don't see why he wouldn't, it's not like Quirrell wasn't possessed back then.

2) He has a peerless knowledge of Wandless magic and Fire Conjuration at the very least, as he need but to wave a hand to summon forth waves of fire.

Not so in the books. His only use of wandless magic was to conjure some ropes and bind Harry.

And who knows what was his own skill and what he learnt from Voldemort.

3) He manages to kill unicorns.

They're not all that threatening, to be honest, and he had Voldemort's help then too.

Mind you, he is powerful, and if anyone in this forum actually 'took his place' they'd probably get the stone by the end of the day with minimum effort, but the fact is, he makes gross mistakes. Mistakes a 70+ Dark Lord and a (what, thirty+?) Wizard who was also a muggle studies teacher before shouldn't make.

Without knowing about the trick with the mirror, and with the same goal as him, they'd probably fail too - in the beginning, it's guarded by Dumbledore, and later on it's in the mirror. Not easy to bypass.

If he's hurting you by touching you, then fly and levitate in the air.

That's a skill Voldemort possesses, not Quirrell, and trying to concentrate to use magic when your face is burning off? Not a good plan.

He's eleven.
Send a blast of Flipendo his way if you can't muster the concentration to fly away.

Your face is burning off.

I think you're really underestimating the level of concentration possible in this instance, without being someone like Taylor Hebert or Kickass, who have deadened pain receptors.

I could go on, but there is a lot of potential which 'author fiat' outright stifles and murders.

There are some, sure, but they can usually be explained away.

See at the end of book seven.
Neville rants against Voldemort, and instead of Voldemort using his signature 'Avada Kedavra' to shut him up, he uses a stunner.
A stunner.
Voldemort uses a stunner on Neville Longbottom rather than an Avada Kedavra.

That right there is an Author Fiat moment.

I ... don't think this happens in the books. In the books, when Neville starts ranting, Voldemort places the Sorting Hat on his head, declares that the hat is unnecessary now that every student will be a Slytherin, and sets the hat - and Neville - on fire.

*That said, we'll watch and see how the situation evolves.

Okay.

Last edited:
But Lucious Malfoy loved his family too. I don't think that's what it is.

The thing is, Lucius is actually pretty competent and, when it came down to it, didn't stay with Voldemort when he realised Voldemort was not good for his family.

Actually, I checked the book again, and Quirrell does touch Harry of his own volition - in the beginning.

See, the sequence of events is this:
- Voldemort figures out Harry has the stone in his pocket.
- Harry tries to run for it.
- Voldemort orders Quirrell to seize him. It being easy to physically accomplish the task, Quirrell seizes him physically. It should be noted - had Harry not had the protection he did, this would have worked. There's no need to use magic when there's a simple physical alternative. If someone throws a ball at a wizard you, you aren't going to cast a spell to conjure and animate a mitt to catch it, or levitate it - you'll raise your hand and catch it. Same reason.
- Quirrell is burnt. As Voldemort wonders what the hell Quirrell is doing, and why he isn't catching Harry (he's a face on the back of Quirrell's head - supernatural senses, he doesn't have), Quirrell tells him he can't do it, he's getting burnt catching him.
- Fed up of this whole thing, and thinking it'd be better for him to kill Harry and take the stone than bother keeping Harry alive for any future use, he orders Quirrell to kill him.
- Unfortunately for them, Quirrell is now near Harry, since he tried to physically seize him, and Harry now knows Quirrell's hurt by his touch. Given that Harry's got excellent reflexes and Quirrell's are not noted to be anything special, what follows is obvious - Quirrell tries to go for his wand or snap his fingers, Harry intercepts by grabbing hold of his face. The intense pain of his face burning prevents Quirrell from casting a spell on Harry, as he flails about in pain, and Harry grabs hold, burning him to death with his bare hands.

The problem is, why wouldn't Quirell just use his snap fingers rope trick when Harry ran away? It would be much easier than running after him.

The thing is, Lucius is actually pretty competent and, when it came down to it, didn't stay with Voldemort when he realised Voldemort was not good for his family.

But he still couldn't be called a good guy.

The problem is, why wouldn't Quirell just use his snap fingers rope trick when Harry ran away? It would be much easier than running after him.

As I mentioned, when there's an easy, physically viable solution right there, why would you resort to magic?

Why do adult wizards ever walk? Why not just apparate step by step? Fred and George do this immediately after they learn how to apparate, and it's noted in text that it's both annoying and not something people normally do.

Why do people actually lift anything not their wand? Use levitation, you don't need to physically do that stuff.

And so on and so forth. We know binding him with ropes would have been better, because we know that touching Harry is downright lethal to Quirrell. Quirrell didn't, and he had a choice between reaching out and grabbing him, or binding him with magically conjured ropes, both of which should have worked. He used the more expedient and mundane method.

Chapter Twenty

I admit, I was half-expecting Dumbledore to appear out of thin air at a certain point, go all 'My dear Cornelius' and then start to talk to Harry.
It didn't happen.
That surprised me more than anything else.
Cornelius Fudge' office was large, with a wide desk and a few shelves, as well as scattered papers all around.
"Just tell him your guardians are muggles and since it was the wizard world they had no idea on how to act and left you to your own devises."
Harry was understandably nervous, even more so when he met Cornelius and the man shook his hand with a bright smile.

"Ah Mister Potter! It is a honor to meet you! I see you're preparing for Hogwarts then? Thank you Roderick, I'll take it from here," he added to the guard, who nodded and shook Harry Potter's hand one last time before leaving, all jittery and mumbling something about how 'he'd never wash his hands again'.
"Yes sir," Harry nodded meekly. "My guardians are muggles, and they..."
"Don't know how to interact with the wizard world, so they left me to my own devises." I said helpfully.
"Ah, of course!" Harry didn't even have to say the latter part. Cornelius was glad to help without even being told a reason for. "Well, Harry, can I call you Harry? Of course I can, well," he continued, "I'll give you a grand tour of Diagon Alley then! I'll warn the press and..."
"Stop him now," I said. "Tell him 'I'd like that, but not today sir. Maybe after I've got my school stuff without causing a commotion? Then I'd love to tour Diagon Alley with you."
"Uhm, sir," Harry said. "I'd really like that, but not today...I'd like to get my stuff for Hogwarts without too much ruckus..."
Cornelius grinned. "Ah, I see, then-"
"How about next week?" I said offhandedly.
"How about next week?" Harry parroted.
Cornelius blinked, surprised.
"Oh my, sure! Why not? I'll contact your guardians and-"
"Pass directly through me, Minister," I said calmly, and Harry repeated my words, "My guardians are Muggles, and they decided that I'm to take care of myself when it comes to Wizards."
"Oh well," Cornelius replied. "Surprisingly mature of you to take on such efforts, Mister Potter...well, there are laws about what a minor can and cannot do, and..."
"Minister, I'm Harry Potter," I said calmly. "Surely the laws can be bent a bit? I just want to access my vault and retrieve my money to buy my school supplies. I know I have the vault, but not the key...I'm not going to rob Gringotts, and all I need is a document proving my identity for the Goblins."

Fudge bit his lips.
"I can give an interview to the Daily Prophet claiming how much you helped me get acquainted with the magical world," I said, and Harry repeated.
That cinched the deal.
Slytherin, here we come.
"Oh well, why not! Some leeway every now and then can never harm anyone! So, next week?"
"Next week, say that and nod, Harry," I said, and Harry did. "Just, make sure it's not Rita Skeeter. I heard very bad things about her, and whenever she can get her hands on a scandal, she'll twist the words in whatever way she wants."
"Of course," Cornelius nodded. "I'll contact you by owl then, Mister Potter. I'll send a message to the office for Wizard Identification, and if you'd like, how about we take some tea with crumpets while we wait for them to process your document?"
"I'd like that, Minister," I said, and Harry replied with a soft voice my same words.

"Excellent!" Cornelius grinned.
"You know," I said, "Since I've heard about it, I've always wanted to be minister of magic. It's gotta be so cool to rule the wizard country, isn't it? You must be a very important person to do this job. Everyone has to obey you!" I took a small breath, "Say it as childishly as you can, Harry."
Harry winced, but dutifully obeyed.

There.
Cornelius was pudding.
"This, Harry, is how you manipulate and control people," I said offhandedly. "Well, not really, since I largely doubt something like this would fly if you weren't an eleven year old. If an eighteen year old had said this, it would have been a clear attempt at praise gone bad. But you're eleven. Everyone thinks you a bumbling, naive child. So your words? They ring true for him. Flattery doesn't always work, and is mostly crude. You need to elicit respect in those around you if you wish to rule them."
Harry appeared uncomfortable, and I sighed.
"I know, I know, you dislike the idea of 'ruling', but see it this way: if everything goes well...no more Dursley. Christmas? You'll get to buy your own gifts, with your money. Your birthday? You'll get your own birthday gifts. No more doing chores for the Dursley. No more eating scraps," I looked straight into his eyes. "And all you need? Is a bit of flattery, a bit of words, and a bit of brain. And by the end of it, you'll be free. Do you see? You're talking with the Minister of Magic, because you're Harry Potter. You are as famous as the Queen of England in the Wizard world, Harry! You have power," I continued, and then smiled. "Now it's time you learn how to wield it."
I chuckled.
"I played a Ventrue Vampire in Vampire: the Requiem, and my two favorite words? 'Trust me'. They always worked so well..." in backstabbing the others. Not my fault. They were the dumb ones. Who ever saw a Vampire have to outright go 'straight ahead' against the problem? No! You had 'years' to do a job. Why do it the very next night?

And then they wondered why the Narrator laughed sometimes.

Harry was uncomfortable, but I didn't bother with it.
What bothered me was that I hadn't actually heard a 'Ka-chink' yet, but it was understandable. It was only the first day, and Harry wasn't Naruto, or Shinji. He was surprisingly withdrawn.
And I had hardly started any 'personal' argument with him. I was simply guiding him, ordering him around, but I wasn't talking with him.
That could wait until I had him settled.
Then, maybe, we'd start getting to know each other better.

I suggested what to tell Harry as he had tea with the Minister, and as quick as we had arrived, to too did a bunch of official looking papers arrive on Cornelius' desk suddenly.
Harry had to sign with his name on a bunch of dotted lines, using a quill and an ink pot, but then, it was done.
He had a nice looking parchment that attested 'through the testimony of the Ministry of Magic' that he was 'Harry James Potter'.

Outside, the sky was still clear, and it was probably lunch time.
Thankfully, Gringotts was open twenty four hours a day.
"I'm tired," Harry mumbled.
"Just one last stretch. We've gone this far," I told him. "One last stretch, and you'll be free."
That spurred Harry.
And true to the Goblin's word, after he delivered the parchment to the goblin banker, the goblin banker worked for a few minutes and returned with a key.
"Do not lose this one," he said with a sneer. "The cost for the forging of a new key will be deducted from your vault's contents."
"Do not lose it," I said to Harry, who pocketed it.
"Now, I can't remember the rate of conversion, but get yourself at least a few galleons, sickles, and...what's the name of the silver coins again? Uhm..."

As Harry screamed along the 'mine cart' I pondered what the name of the silver coins was...until I slapped my hand against my face. "Stupid. Sickles are the silver ones. Knuts are the copper ones. Get some knuts, sickles and Galleons."
Harry's vault came equipped with a few pouches.
I didn't know why, but probably it was easier to just leave half a dozen of empty pouches in case you had to make a withdrawal and forgot your wallet at home?
"At least twenty galleons," I said. "We'll take the wand and get a room for the night. Then concerning getting you a godfather and a house...that will be tricky, but doable."
If a bit risky.

"Olivander's our next stop. Ask for a wand of holly and phoenix feather, the twin of the wand that gave you that scar. It's your wand."
Harry bristled, and pouted.
He was a child, and I suspected he was very close to throwing a tantrum, but he wasn't there yet.
Which was good, because we weren't finished.

"Hello," Garrick said as we stepped inside his office.
"Hi," Harry said. "I'd like a holly wand with...phoenix feather, sir."
"Now, now," Garrick said. "Are you sure? It's the wand that chooses the owner after all..."
"Yes sir," Harry nodded softly. "It should be the twin of the wand that gave me this," and he showed his scar.
"Oh my...Harry Potter," Harry looked sideways.
"Get used to it," I said flatly. "And once you get used to it, make it yours and weaponize it. That is one of the laws of Space Battle. If it exists, it can be weaponized. And anything weaponized can be used to destroy anything, provided sufficient velocity is applied."
Harry glared at me, and I looked back at him with a scoff. "Hop, hop. We don't have all day and I'm sure you're hungry anyway. Get the wand, and then off to grab some grub."

Garrick shrugged. "If you believe that is your wand...I just have the one you're speaking of...just a moment, Mister Potter."
When he returned, the wand predictably started to show off sparks.
"Surprising..." Garrick murmured. "How did you ever know this was your wand, Mister Potter?"
"I had a hunch," I said.
"I guessed," Harry replied.
"Interesting," Garrick said. "I suppose we can expect great things from you, Mister Potter. He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named did terrible things with the twin of this wand after all, but they were great nonetheless."
"Yeah, yeah," I rolled my eyes. "Of course. You have a wand and now it's time for lunch. Off we go!"

Tom's pub was called the 'Leaky Cauldron', but since it was also connected to muggle London, it was risky.
On the other hand, there was another pub within Diagon Alley -more than one actually, sort of like 'bars' in tourist areas. 'There is always a bar, always a lighthouse, always a city.' Sort of thing.
This pub was called 'The Lit Candle', and...well, it was just like the Leaky Cauldron, if not for the unknown pub owner and the wizards eating.
And the owner was a fairly large matron-like figure who could have been a female version of Nurgle.
"Hey there sweetie, what are you doing all alone here?" she asked, concern in her voice as she looked at Harry from beyond the counter. "Are you lost?"
"No ma'am," Harry replied as I gave him the words to say. "I'm getting my school supplies for Hogwarts and I stopped for lunch. And I've got no parents to speak of, so I can't have lost them."
"Make an awry smile," I said calmly, and Harry tried his hardest to do it. Since he was generally uncomfortable about speaking of 'not having parents' and since he did sort-of look like a scrawny eleven year old -not Radcliffe, surprisingly, but how the 'book' portrayed Harry- the matron lapped it all up.
"Oh my, you poor thing. Hungry then? Sit right here and I'll get you something right away!"
She smiled.
And I offhandedly followed her as she went into the kitchens.

I knew it.

I fucking knew it.

Stasis charm, and Replication Charm.
Buy one meatloaf, hold it in stasis, and then replicate it ad infinity.

Infinite food.
I knew it.
I knew it.
And they made people pay for infinite food.

And the prices of the meals...weren't much there. One knut, two knuts, a sickle if you ordered something extremely exotic...uh, well, then again the price was probably concerning the drinks and all of that.
Oh, and Butterbeer. There was also a sort of strange trinket that actually conjured Butterbeer out of thin air.
Well, Cornelius Fudge could conjure Whiskey out of the tip of his wand, apparently 'food' was different from 'drinks'. You could conjure Drinks.
You couldn't conjure food.
What about soup?
Was it a drink or a food?

I hummed as I thought about it while the matron returned with a large glass of butterbeer and a meatloaf.
"The butterbeer's hot. Drink it slowly or you'll scald your tongue dearie. There's a bit of a chill out there too. You going to be all right?"
"Yes ma'am," Harry said softly. "I'm used to it."
"Aw," the Nurgle-Matron cooed. "You're so sweet I'd eat you up in one gulp."
Nurgle, is that really you?
I eyed the matron.
Could she be a Nurgle spawn?
"Emperor protects," I whispered. "Emperor protects, you hear me Nurgle spawn!?"
Harry was embarrassed rather than frightened.
Then again, he didn't know what a Nurgle-spawn was, and...ahh, it was a figure of speech?
Uh.

Who would have known.
"I'm keeping my eyes on you, Nurgle," I said calmly, eyeing the matron.

And then Harry ate.
I pulled through the meatloaf and the butterbeer, and ate too.
It was good.
I admit, when you've got a replicating charm and a stasis one, all you need to do is make *one* perfect meatloaf, and then keep replicating that.
In that way, it remains perfect, and you always serve perfection.
That's a smart idea all right.

"Delicious," I moaned. "Delicious! Tell her she's a great cook! This is good!"
"It's good ma'am, you're a great cook," Harry said, looking pleasantly satisfied and also terribly drowsy.
The 'aftermath' of his escape was starting to get to him, I suspected.
"Aw, you're a polite little boy aren't you? You'll make me blush."
Not so surprisingly, Harry didn't have to pay for his lunch.

I still wondered whether it was because an eleven year old orphan had the pity card on his side, or if it was because some witches and some wizards were easily pudding to a bit of flattery.
It might have been a mixture of both, I suspected.
"Now," I said calmly. "We'll need..." a place to sleep.
Inns were out.
Muggle world was out.
It had to be someplace with a bed, at least.

At least until Harry learned some form of self-defense like the Incendio.
Then he'd set fire to the Dursley a couple of times, and Dumbledore would have no choice but to let him leave.
OR maybe ask Dumbledore directly.
Still, until then...

"The Knight Bus." I said, a grin on my lips. "It has beds and hot chocolate, but we'll need a destination I suspect...Uhm...where can we go? You have any idea?"
Harry shook his head.
"Well..." I turned thoughtful. Sirius Black was in Azkaban. I wondered...'magic' was magic all right...could...did it even...
Well, technically it was a magical bus.

And Azkaban was a prison.
Prisoners could receive visits, since that was how Crouch Junior had escaped. And if the bus didn't service Azkaban, then the Floo Network certainly did.
"Well Harry, no other choice around it," I said calmly. "Steel yourself, because we're going to meet your Godfather."
In a prison of soul-sucking Cthulhu-like abominations.

But he was Harry Potter and I was Shade.

Better not tell him what I did to another him when I crossed him over with Cthulhu.

I get more and more uncomfortable with how Harry just follows along with everything. He doesn't say anything on his own, doesn't ask questions, he follows blindly. It feels like the whole thing is heading toward a spectacular crash and I can't look away.

The way Shade handles him... it showcases just how much his mentality is influenced by the current universe.
Harry might be a quiet kid, but he's definitely got his own principles. Foreseeing some sort of clash in the future.

Slytherin? With Harry mindlessly following orders like that? Seems like more like a Hufflepuff to me.

This isn't going to end well, and I can't look away. Nor do I want to.

Back