Boldly Going to a Galaxy Far Far Away: A Star Trek: DS9/Star Wars Wormhole Crossover Quest

[X] Captain Jassar
[X] Commodore Mirrin

Thankfully the smaller scale means that ship building won't be a part of this game. You'll have plenty of freedom in ship requisitions but what ships are on the list to requisition is out of your commodore's hands (or other manipulators).
Will a ship being at DS9 for crew's R&R mean that it will be on hand if Sisco is facing an emergency?
(Presumably, the R&R would be deffered rather than cancelled)

Related, would those be the safest times to ask to borrow a runabout from him for a quick 20 minute adventure?
----
I liked the bits of TBG where we built massive fleetyards. When can we expect scope creep to allow us to build megastructures. I like megastructures. :p

Last edited:
Will a ship being at DS9 for crew's R&R mean that it will be on hand if Sisco is facing an emergency?
(Presumably, the R&R would be deffered rather than cancelled)

Related, would those be the safest times to ask to borrow a runabout from him for a quick 20 minute adventure?
That all depends largely upon context, and the matter of jurisdiction. If an emergency pops up at DS9 and one of your ships happens to be there for R&R its entirely possible Sisko might ask for their assistance if he needs it. Its also very possible he simply solves the problem on his own. Though if he needs your ships, its unlikely he'd be willing to part with a runabout at that particular moment.

[X] Captain Prorr

I don't know that I've ever seen any trans men major characters on this site before (except the one I wrote); don't know that I've seen any period, in point of fact. Add to that he's Caitain, and I like his bio, and you know I'm for it.

[X] Commodore Clark Kane
-[X] Cis man
-[X] Human
-[X] Born on the human colony of Cygnia Minor, he was brought up on stories of the enterprising captain James Tiberius Kirk
-[X] Unfortunately, rather than getting to explore he found himself obligated to serve in the Tzenkethi wars, serving as captain aboard a Miranda and rising through the ranks based on his actions there, until he finally received a promotion just in time to serve as Commodore in charge of the Trans Laniakea Object.
-[X] [War Veteran] Your memories of war cause you to keep the tactical readiness of your squadron high. Your ships gain +1 Tactical stat but suffer -1 Diplomacy stat.
-[X] Poetry, painting, writing, sculpture, he dabbles in all manner of creative endeavors.

This looks like a really great premise, I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes!

I'm certain of which Vancouver Captain I want - we're here to explore, and the Intrepid-class is designed for long-range exploration, so Yodra Tetner's seems like an obvious choice - but I'm unsure regarding our Commodore. Are we able to submit and vote for several? I have a couple little ideas cooking in my brain - mainly an Excellent Drill Bajoran, and a Renowned Diplomat from some rarely-seen Federation species, like the Zakdorn or the Rigelians (any of them, though mainly thinking of the Chelon).

[X] Captain Yodra Tetner

I'm certain of which Vancouver Captain I want - we're here to explore, and the Intrepid-class is designed for long-range exploration, so Yodra Tetner's seems like an obvious choice - but I'm unsure regarding our Commodore. Are we able to submit and vote for several? I have a couple little ideas cooking in my brain - mainly an Excellent Drill Bajoran, and a Renowned Diplomat from some rarely-seen Federation species, like the Zakdorn or the Rigelians (any of them, though mainly thinking of the Chelon).
You can vote for whichever ones you like; there are three that have been proposed so far (Commodore Mirrin, Jeanne de Meulenaer, and Commodore Clark Kane), and with another day of voting left you still have time to make your own character.

Last edited:
This looks like a really great premise, I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes!

Pretty much what chellewalker said.

[X] Captain Yodra Tetner
If you need a little extra time to write up a commodore I'm open to extending the vote by a day. its currently so short because we don't have a huge number of voters and I don't want the thread to stall.

If you need a little extra time to write up a commodore I'm open to extending the vote by a day. its currently so short because we don't have a huge number of voters and I don't want the thread to stall.

Understandable, but I don't think I'll need more time - just let me properly engage my autism and I'll make a Commodore or two.

Note: This is using Bajorn name order - the family/caste name is "Baxan" and the personal name is "Jal".

[X] Commodore Baxan Jal
-[X] Gender: Male, transgender
-[X] Species: Bajoran
-[X] Early Life: Born on Bajor in 2321 shortly after the beginning of the occupation, Jal barely remembers his homeworld. His father was killed by the Cardassians in circumstances he doesn't remember, and his mother and older brother swore to join the resistance in response. Unable to fight and take care of a growing child, his mother convinced Jal's ageing great uncle Neras to take the child and flee Bajor. The two lived in refugee camps in the Federation for over a decade, Neras doing his best to raise and protect Jal. Neras' death by natural causes was a wake-up call for Jal, who became determined to join Starfleet in order to get a chance to fight the Cardassians himself. A sympathetic Captain sponsored Jal's entry into the academy, and he left for Earth.

-[X] Academy: Earth was much different from Bajor or the refugee camps. Jal's first reaction was bitterness at the contrast between the luxuries of the Federation core and the destitute conditions he had known. This bitterness did not hold against the caring friends he found in the academy, and in the safety of San Francisco Jal was able to find his own identity and purpose. Notably a fairly chaotic romantic relationship with a fellow cadet ended with his realisation of his true gender and subsequent transition.

Jal dedicated himself to Command training, feeling buoyed by his newfound confidence and feeling protective toward his kind-yet-naive peers, he hoped to become the kind of officer that could keep them safe when faced with the dangers of the wider galaxy. To this day he remains in contact with many of his former classmates, and remembers those who died in the line of duty.

-[X] Previous Career: After taking an extended course of study to graduate as a Lieutenant Junior Grade, Jal's first posting was to a ship on a five-year mission of exploration. The ship was destroyed four years into the mission by an evil energy being/spirit a long-dead alien civilisation had imprisoned within a moon, but the crew were able to flee to the planet on shuttles and survive until rescue came weeks later. During this period Jal dedicated himself to ensuring the crew had food and water, and kept them sane with the same games and songs he had passed the time with in the refugee camps. Due to this exemplary service and display of clear leadership qualities, Jal was promoted to Lieutenant Commander soon after.

He was posted as XO on ships patrolling the border with the Cardassians during the tumultuous years of the Federation-Cardassian Wars, gaining a reputation as a firm but fair, and occasionally even fun executive officer. During this time he did his best to fight back against the people who had ousted him from his homeworld, but notably refused to expose his fellow officers to unnecessary harm to pursue his own personal vendetta. Even after being promoted and gaining his first command he viewed his crew as his first responsibility - not his vengeance - and served admirably both in battle and during the fleeting ceasefires that punctuated the border conflict.

The end of the war with Cardassia left Jal - now Captain Baxan - feeling purposeless. For several years he served as an instructor at Starfleet Academy, tutoring, drilling, and nurturing the next wave of Starfleet officers as best he could, but still he felt listless, and was openly inquiring about returning to exploration when the Cardassians finally withdrew from Bajor. Jal immediately went on leave to return to the home he hadn't seen since he was 3 years old, sought out members of his immediate and extended family, and began to aid in rebuilding efforts.

Finally home again, Baxan Jal was seriously considering retiring to Bajor when an offer came in - a posting in Exploration Command the Bajor system, and a promotion to go with it.

-[X] [Excellent Drill] You did a tour as an instructor at the academy and you still have a knack for teaching those beginning their careers. All ships in your squadron gain +1XP per quarter until they reach Experienced.

-[X] Hobbies: Jal enjoys carpentry and finds similar activities that let him work with his hands calming. Though he doesn't play much sports, he likes watching them and rooting for a team/competitor. He also enjoys schmaltzy melodramatic romance holonovels, and refuses to be embarrassed about it.

[X] Captain Yodra Tetner

Last edited:
Heads up that I will be heading to bed before the vote closes tonight. The tally should be posted automatically but if it isn't I'll handle that in the morning. Then once I've updated the character sheet and current squadron posts we'll move onto the first proper turn.

Vote closed
Scheduled vote count started by LilyWitch on Nov 11, 2023 at 1:14 PM, finished with 42 posts and 21 votes.

• [X] Captain Yodra Tetner
    [X] Commodore Mirrin
    [X] Captain Jassar
    [X] Jeanne de Meulenaer
    [X] Commodore Baxan Jal
    [X] Captain Matthew Tike
    [X] Jeanne de Meulenaer
    -[X] Female
    -[X] Human (Hysperian)
    -[X] Born on the colony world of Hysperia, Jeanne de Meulenaer grew up with a fascination of space and spent much of her childhood visiting the star viewers (observatories) and aether ports (spaceports) of the planet. When a Star Fleet officer gave a presentation on their work in Jeanne's last years of schooling, she eagerly signed on.
    -[X] Over the course of many years, Jeanne worked her way through many different postings; first as an ensign on an isolated starbase, before landing a transfer to one of Star Fleet's many utility craft, and a promotion to Lieutenant just in time to face the Tzenkethi War. It was here that Jeanne learned the distastefulness of war, seeing her friends and captain perish in the conflict, and when the war ended she was content to stay in the exploration side of the fleet. At least, up until a year ago when her experience was requested for the Commodore position.
    -[X] Devoted Explorer
    -[X] Like most Hysperians, Jeanne has a fondness for Ballroom Dancing and renaissance reenactment. Less typically, Jeanne has also taken up jazz music, becoming especially proficient with the Saxophone.
    [X] Commodore Clark Kane
    [X] Commodore Mirrin
    -[X] Gender: Trans Woman
    -[X] Species: Vulcan (Romulan)
    -[X] Early Life: Mirrin arrived in Federation space with her family at a very young age, as one of many political refugees of the Romulan Star Empire. Although she was told that they left due to fear of being targeted by her father's overly vindictive superior officer, she strongly suspects it was really because her parents were unwilling to dispose of her younger brother over his supposed "birth defects". They were settled on Alpha Centari, and while they took care to instill a strong Romulan cultural identity in Mirrin and her younger brother, it would be wrong to say that they were unaffected by the cosmopolitan nature of the world they grew up on. Mirrin herself was soon taken by the idea of joining Starfleet and testing her intellectual mettle against the various peoples of the galaxy. She enjoyed meeting people and figuring out their secrets as she grew to know them, and Alpha Centari was familiar enough to her at this point that either the challenge or reward wasn't satisfying to her anymore.
    -[X] Previous Career: Mirrin found the bureaucracy of Starfleet surprisingly easy to navigate once she graduated from the Academy's Command Track. The fact that she was willing to take deskside postings early on with little issue seemed to win her many friends amongst her superiors and more restless compatriots. Of course, staying in a single location and interacting with the largely same people can become boring after too long, and when she felt herself reaching that point, she would put in a request for a transfer to a shipside posting. This alternating promotional chain would continue with little issue, as the passion she put into her work left her with glowing reccomendations from her previous postings. Becoming the Captain of her own ship was easily the longest she had stuck with a posting to date, which thankfully didn't include having to serve in a military role during the Cardassian or Tzenkethi wars. However, with a First Officer she felt was more than ready to take full command of the ship, and the end of her most recent Five Year Mission, this new Commodore posting was exactly the opportunity she was looking for.
    -[X] Tag: Political Animal
    -[X] Hobbies: Like most Romulans, Mirrin is both incredibly passionate and as sharp as a knife. Her proudest memory of her youth was keeping the exact nature of her band group a secret from her parents until their first gig at a major concert venue. To say that they were surprised by "Ancient Spirits of Vorta Vor" being a neo-progressive rock band would be an understatement. Although the band has gone on hiatus due to their careers making tours difficult, they still find the time to practice on their own and together whenever they can. Mirrin can often be found either practicing with her guitar or composing new songs when off-duty. Should anyone enter her quarters they would find a significant amount of artifacts, pieces of art, and books related to ancient Romulan mythology. They provide inspiration for her song-writing, as the band's aesthetic draws heavily upon said mythology to give it a unique flair in Federation space, and she is always on the look out for new additions to her collection.
    [X] Captain Prorr
    [X] Commodore Clark Kane
    -[X] Cis man
    -[X] Human
    -[X] Born on the human colony of Cygnia Minor, he was brought up on stories of the enterprising captain James Tiberius Kirk
    -[X] Unfortunately, rather than getting to explore he found himself obligated to serve in the Tzenkethi wars, serving as captain aboard a Miranda and rising through the ranks based on his actions there, until he finally received a promotion just in time to serve as Commodore in charge of the Trans Laniakea Object.
    -[X] [War Veteran] Your memories of war cause you to keep the tactical readiness of your squadron high. Your ships gain +1 Tactical stat but suffer -1 Diplomacy stat.
    -[X] Poetry, painting, writing, sculpture, he dabbles in all manner of creative endeavors.
    [X] Commodore Baxan Jal
    -[X] Gender: Male, transgender
    -[X] Species: Bajoran
    -[X] Early Life: Born on Bajor in 2321 shortly after the beginning of the occupation, Jal barely remembers his homeworld. His father was killed by the Cardassians in circumstances he doesn't remember, and his mother and older brother swore to join the resistance in response. Unable to fight and take care of a growing child, his mother convinced Jal's ageing great uncle Neras to take the child and flee Bajor. The two lived in refugee camps in the Federation for over a decade, Neras doing his best to raise and protect Jal. Neras' death by natural causes was a wake-up call for Jal, who became determined to join Starfleet in order to get a chance to fight the Cardassians himself. A sympathetic Captain sponsored Jal's entry into the academy, and he left for Earth.
    -[X] Academy: Earth was much different from Bajor or the refugee camps. Jal's first reaction was bitterness at the contrast between the luxuries of the Federation core and the destitute conditions he had known. This bitterness did not hold against the caring friends he found in the academy, and in the safety of San Francisco Jal was able to find his own identity and purpose. Notably a fairly chaotic romantic relationship with a fellow cadet ended with his realisation of his true gender and subsequent transition.
    -[X] Previous Career: After taking an extended course of study to graduate as a Lieutenant Junior Grade, Jal's first posting was to a ship on a five-year mission of exploration. The ship was destroyed four years into the mission by an evil energy being/spirit a long-dead alien civilisation had imprisoned within a moon, but the crew were able to flee to the planet on shuttles and survive until rescue came weeks later. During this period Jal dedicated himself to ensuring the crew had food and water, and kept them sane with the same games and songs he had passed the time with in the refugee camps. Due to this exemplary service and display of clear leadership qualities, Jal was promoted to Lieutenant Commander soon after.
    -[X] [Excellent Drill] You did a tour as an instructor at the academy and you still have a knack for teaching those beginning their careers. All ships in your squadron gain +1XP per quarter until they reach Experienced.
    -[X] Hobbies: Jal enjoys carpentry and finds similar activities that let him work with his hands calming. Though he doesn't play much sports, he likes watching them and rooting for a team/competitor. He also enjoys schmaltzy melodramatic romance holonovels, and refuses to be embarrassed about it.

Just wanted to say that if I had seen this sooner, I'd have added it to my votes. This is seriously solid backstory and a character with good ties to the quest's setting.

Thank you! Some of the framework is taken from Ro Laren's backstory, but I'm proud of the details I came up with to justify and emphasise the dad vibes I was going for.

I'm happy with Mirrin as our choice for the Commodore's identity though - her background is interesting and I prefer her special tag ability overall. Plus the QM confirmed on Discord that unchosen Commodores can always return as Captain choices when we get new ships!

Thank you! Some of the framework is taken from Ro Laren's backstory, but I'm proud of the details I came up with to justify and emphasise the dad vibes I was going for.

I'm happy with Mirrin as our choice for the Commodore's identity though - her background is interesting and I prefer her special tag ability overall. Plus the QM confirmed on Discord that unchosen Commodores can always return as Captain choices when we get new ships!
If we get to vote on it I'm voting for yours!

Q1 2370
Q1 2370

The Stardate is 47201.3* and you have finished settling you and your staff into your new office and quarters. All the ships in your little Squadron have arrived and their captains are sitting around a table with you in one of DS9's conference rooms with a view of the wormhole's position. Unfortunately the wormhole itself is invisible when inactive and there are no scheduled transits today.

"I'm sure you've all read the briefing packets but I want to make sure we are on the same page and provide some last minute updates. So far our only fully surveyed system in the Trans Laniakea Object Primary is the one that the wormhole opens into. Officially designated TLOP-1 the Bajoran provisional Government has named it the Amoran system and Admiral Whatley tells me that that common name will likely have official federation backing. It is a binary star system with 1 gas giant close to the primary star and then 3 terrestrial planets further out."

With a touch to your PADD's screen a diagram of the Idran system appears on the wall monitor alongside a zoomed out view showing some of its near neighbours.

"One of the Gas Giant's natural satellites is an M-class world with an indigenous stone age society. Obviously we will not be contacting them under any but the most extreme circumstances. A team of cultural observers is already in place which we will need to support."

"Moving further away the closest object to the Amoran system is a black hole the Bajorans have named Shawn**. DS9 has shared some readings taken by their Runabouts over the last year which show some strange chronometric radiation signatures, even for a black hole. Surveys of the next few closest objects by DS9 and the Bajorans have shown nothing of note. A few lifeless systems which Bajor has claimed and are leasing the mining rights too. While command is happy for us to revisit those systems with more advanced sensors they are currently the Bajoran Militia's responsibility to patrol and I think that there are much more promising prospects further afield."

With another tap the local neighbourhood view on the wall monitor zooms out further as the Amoran system diagram minimises,

"Spinward from Amoran we then have a young Pulsar with what look like rocky cores still in its orbit from long range telemetry. That could prove a source of rare elements as well as exciting data on its nova and precise age. Close by is a system which might contain planets capable of supporting life if the pulsar hasn't scoured them clean. Lastly and most excitingly we have three systems with what looks like detectable subspace comm traffic. While it's too alien and distant to actually decipher, it's a strong sign that those systems might have FTL capable life. However we haven't picked up any warp signatures at all in the TLO other than registered travel from our side of the wormhole so we can't be sure."

Another tap displays charts showing the suspected subspace comm signals and the detected warp signatures within the TLO.

"The furthest system is coreward of Amoran while the closest one is rimward with a middle distance system trailing. They are all relatively distant from both each other and Amoran so as far as we know none of the independent explorers through the wormhole so far have attempted contact. Finally we have a stellar nursery nebula just past the coreward subspace signals. Long distance telescopes have spotted what seem like novel spatial distortions occurring in there."

You lower your PADD to the table and smile at your team, "So, any questions or assignment requests?"

===

*Roughly Sunday the 15th of March 2370 by the Gregorian Calendar
**Bajoran for Swamp and yes it's pronounced Sean.

Missions

You start with 0 Political Influence to spend.

[ ] Investigate chronometric readings from Shawn: 1Q, Science, Medium, 4 PI

[ ] Supply Run for the Cultural Observer Team on A Hodgkin Four: 1Q, Engineering/Diplomacy, Easy, 2 PI

[ ] Orbital Scans of A Hodgkin Four: 1Q, Science, Easy, 2 PI

[ ] Send a Ship to a Starbase to have its Mission Pod exchanged for a different one: 1Q, Autopass, -1 PI for each pod changed

[ ] Survey the Spinward Pulsar: 2Q, Science, Easy, 2 PI

[ ] Survey the Spinward System near the Pulsar: 2Q, Science, Easy, 2 PI

[ ] Explore deep space and systems near the Amoran System: 2Q, ?, ?, ? PI

[ ] Investigate Coreward Subspace Signals: 3Q, Science/Diplomacy, Medium, 6 PI

[ ] Investigate Trailing Subspace Signals: 3Q, Science/Diplomacy, Medium, 6 PI

[ ] Investigate Rimward Subspace Signals: 3Q, Science/Diplomacy, Medium, 6 PI

[ ] Investigate the Stellar Nursery: 4Q, Science, Medium, 6 PI

Voting will be by plan in the following format:

[ ] Plan Name
-[ ] Mission - Ship Name
-[ ] Mission - Ship Name
-[ ] Mission - Ship Name, Ship Name
-[ ] Mission - DS9 Runabout

===

This isn't quite were I wanted it honestly but perfect is the enemy of done and all that. Your Dramatis Personae and Current Squadron threadmarks are fully up to date. While there in all likely hood will need to be future balance passes those will happen at the end of each year when you expand your squadron. That way you know what your ships and captains are capable of while making plans for each quarter and the year. Normally I'd have this vote take 2 days again to keep momentum up. However since I'm going to be very busy all day thursday and this is the first vote I'm instead going to have the vote open till friday and will have a voting moratorium for the first 24 hours for any mechanical questions to be asked and answered and time to form plans.

Thinking of plans.

Also just to note, @LilyWitch if you need aliens for first contact I both have some (@AKuz please confirm the LMAOs) or could make some if you'd like, if that's a thing in the scope of the quest.

Plenty to look at it seems! I think our priority should probably be getting some quick missions done for PI, especially since we gain 1 more per mission completed, and we can't switch out the pods on the Ireland, Ceylon, or Amador without PI. The Ireland is outfitted for Science, and the Captain gets +1 to observing stellar phenomena, so putting them on "[ ] Investigate chronometric readings from Shawn: 1Q, Science, Medium, 4 PI" is almost an instant pass.

The Ceylon is outfitted the same as the Ireland, but the Captain gets bonuses when interacting with "Cosmozoans", which I assume covers all spaceborne lifeforms, so maybe we could send them to some of the subspace signals and hope they're the right kind of lifeform? Then again maybe sending them on something simple like a supply run or orbital scan of A Hodgkin IV at first would be good, for the PI and a bit of XP on the crew.

The Vancouver is mainly good at SCIENCE! but Captain Tetner's bonus should apply to most of these - the ship's [Fast] tag means it's probably most efficient to send them on missions that are at least 2Q long, so they could check out that Pulsar or the star system nearby, or go look into deep space nearby - that last one is risky, but appropriate to Tetner I suppose. Alternatively we could immediately send them out to check out those subspace signals, since Tetner's bonus should apply regardless and they'll get each one done in 2Q instead of 3Q.

The Amador is pretty bad by comparison to our other ships, but should manage Easy missions no problem, so maybe do a supply run for the observers on A Hodgkin IV? Simple, easy, and we want to make sure those guys don't get caught with their pants down and accidentally expose themselves to the stone age culture on the planet.

---

@LilyWitch
A couple notes about the Current Squadron post:

The Vancouver's [Fast] tag says "reduce the number of quarters a mission takes to complete to a minimum of 1 quarter", but it doesn't say by how much it reduces it - I assume by 1Q, but it's not noted here, and its [Newly Constructed] tag says "+1 per quarter", which I think is meant to refer to XP but it's not explicit there.

I'd like to request little XP counters next to the experience level of each ship/crew - I know they don't have any yet, and this would likely get added once they get some XP, but having a little (0/30 XP) or whatever next to each one so we know how far they have to go to the next level without having to check the Rules Post would be very nice!

And can I confirm that rolls that meet the TN of a given challenge succeed? So if the TN is 7, rolling exactly 7 is a success, not a failure?

Back