Black Panther 2

You are doing a lot of reading into a couple of battles that were choreographed by the MCU directors, who clearly don't care about choreographing anything that remotely resembles modern warfare. It's the MCU, guys rushing haphazardly into melee battles to stab/club other people is basically a sign of being an actual military at this point. Like yes, maybe in the MCU-that-cares-about-milnerdery, Wakanda would have 5th generation warfare using its multispectrally stealthed platforms and real-time microdrone meshes to monitor targets, which are then immediately marked for termination by orbital vibranium plasma cannons, and Talokan has like, weird abyssal biotech based on vibranium-catalyzed selective breeding so they have battleship whales that can ram things at 100 knots or whatever. But we're not in the world where the MCU directors and choreographers are obsessive milnerds who want to portray postmodern warfare, so we end up with what we've got.

You aren't wrong. 100%, it's an MCU movie and MCU movie is gonna MCU movie.

Out of universe, that is absolutely the correct answer.

I prefer to look at things from an in-universe perspective and understand why things are the way they are, and I think I made at least a reasonable argument. My proposal does fit in with the established lore. The tl;dr version: Wakanda is stifled by adherence to tradition, they've never been tested by an outside power (until Talocan), and their entire military doctrine is based around defensive turtling, infiltration and misdirection. We also know from "What If" that once Wakanda is broken free from it's tradition, it... IS a 5th generation warfare powerhouse.

I'm by no means a milnerd... I actually tend to not like things that get too miltary..ey. I'm not looking for a hard sci-fi super realistic depiction of advanced warfare. I'm looking for... dudes with laser guns.

I'd like to see the next Black Panther movie be somewhere between "Stab people with spears" and the stuff you posted... and to be honest, i'm pretty sure that's what will happen. Shuri Panther already uses her ranged sonic weaponry, the Midnight Angels have been introduced, and with Shuri has been outspoken about not particularly caring about tradition.

Wakanda is going to be absolutely scary under Shuri. And that's awesome. I thought Wakanda Forever was just an ok movie that tried to do too many things, but i'm honestly super hyped about what it set the stage for. It doesn't need to (and won't) happen the way I suggested, with like a US invasion of Wakanda or something. The movies already laid out the framework for it happen organically. Wakanda already got absolutely smacked by Talocan.

To tangent off, Talocan is also just a completely out-of-context issue for the world at large. Nobody, save for Wakanda, would even have a way to go on any sort of offensive. By the same token, any war Talocan might fight is going to generally constricted to coasts and waterways. Talocan may as well be on another planet.

The in-universe perspective is that melee charges work best tactically compared to more complicated things because supertech. Examining it any more closely than that is like examining why sitcom characters only ever use 3 walls of any given room for item storage and decor.

Last edited:
www.hollywoodreporter.com

Box Office: ‘Black Panther 2,‘ ’Violent Night’ Lead Otherwise Icy Weekend

Tommy Wirkola's 'Violent Night' was a bright spot in opening to $13.3 million domestically, while Ryan Coogler's 'Black Panther' sequel stayed No. 1 with $17.6 million. Otherwise, it was slim pickings.
Wakanda Forever has now earned an impressive $394 million domestically to pass up fellow 2022 superhero pics The Batman ($369 million) and Thor: Love and Thunder ($343 million). Overseas, the Marvel superhero sequel, directed by Ryan Coogler, added $20.2 million to its coffers for a foreign tally of $339 million and $733 million globally.

Though it's been dominating the box office for weeks, Wakanda Forever won't come close to matching the receipts of its predecessor, 2018's Black Panther. The original became a cultural phenomenon, eventually earning $700 million in North America and $1.3 billion globally. ... But Wakanda Forever is doing reasonably well, at least by adjusted pandemic standards. It's the first movie to hold the No. 1 spot on domestic box office charts for four weekends straight since 2021's Spider-Man: No Way Home. Soon, it'll be only the third movie this year to cross $400 million in North America.

variety.com

‘Black Panther: Wakanda Forever’ Stays Atop Box Office for Fifth Weekend as Overall Ticket Sales Crater

Without any box office competition, “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever” has remained the No. 1 movie in North America for the fifth weekend in a row. The superhero sequel added $11.1 milli…
... The superhero sequel added $11.1 million from 3,725 theaters over the weekend, boosting its domestic total to $409.8 million, while it has earned $767.8 million worldwide.

"Wakanda Forever" is only the third movie this year to cross the $400 million mark domestically, a promising tally by adjusted pandemic expectations. It's also the first movie since 2018's "Black Panther" to hold the top spot on box office charts for five consecutive weekends. In North America, it will soon pass up fellow 2022 Marvel/Disney pic "Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness" ($411.3 million) to rank as the second top-grossing title of the year so far behind "Top Gun: Maverick" ($718.1 million). And globally, it will soon overtake DC's "The Batman" to rank as No. 5 for the year ($770.8 million).

I, uh, wasn't aware that the Golden Globe Awards are right now as of this post. :redface:
variety.com

Angela Bassett Wins Golden Globe for ‘Black Panther: Wakanda Forever’ as First Actor to Earn Major Award for Marvel Movie

Angela Bassett won the Golden Globe award Tuesday for her performance as Queen Ramonda in “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever,” making the 64-year-old the first actor ever to win a major in…
Prior to Bassett's win for "Wakanda Forever," only four actors, and no women, had even been nominated for a Golden Globe for acting in a superhero movie: Nominees Ryan Reynolds for 2016's "Deadpool" (actor in musical/comedy) and Jack Nicholson for 1989's "Batman" (actor in musical/comedy), as well as winners Joaquin Phoenix for 2019's "Joker" (actor in drama) and Heath Ledger for 2008's "The Dark Knight" (supporting actor). Phoenix and Ledger, who both played variations on the DC Comics villain the Joker, were the major winners in their respective years across awards season, taking home the SAG Awards and the Oscars as well (Ledger's wins were posthumous).

This isn't the first time Bassett has earned a top award for playing Queen Ramonda, however: She was also part of the group of actors from 2018's "Black Panther" who won best ensemble at the SAG Awards.

Back