Wait, there are humans native to the other side of the portal? This comes as a total surprise to me.

Like, not going over everyone's appearance every time they meet is well and good, but these people are exploring strange new worlds and meeting strange new people; they're going to stop and look around. It's more jarring when you don't spend a few paragraphs describing the mysterious fantasyland city and its diverse inhabitants that your viewpoint character is seeing for the first time.
It is a thing that legitimately slipped my mind although the week 13 thing did touch on it by implication, since Arwi is explicitly human enough to pass while wearing sunglasses.

This is a problem that comes with group projects since you end up hashing so much out it fucks with your perception of what needs to be done.

NothingNow’s Bibliography
So since the research for the upcoming chapter is taking so long, have a list of the books I'm reading for this (which will be updated as I have more to add) hopefully this is interesting on its own.

• The Political Machine: Assembling Sovereignty in the Bronze Age Caucasus - Adam T. Smith (Princeton University Press, 2015) Also, other Project ArAGATS resources.
  • Coins, Bodies, Games, and Gold: The Politics of Meaning in Archaic Greece - Leslie Kurke (Princeton University Press, 1999)
  • The Art of Not Being Governed: An Anarchist History of Upland Southeast Asia - James C. Scott (Yale University Press, 2009)
  • Brotherhood of Kings: How International Relations Shaped the Ancient Near East - Amanda H. Podany (Oxford University Press, 2010)
  • Against the Grain: a Deep History of the Earliest States - James C. Scott (Yale University Press, 2017)
  • A Global History of Child Death: Mortality, Burial and Parental Attitudes - Amy J. Catalano (Peter Lang inc., 2014)

Last edited:
This was a great read and I'm excited with the work you guys have put in. Keep up the good work!

Up in the Mountains (Week 15)
Up in the Mountains
(Week 15)

Getting posted to Metella was probably the best thing that could have ever happened to my career, even after I'd signed up to be part of a Human Terrain Terrain team. You figure you'd get sent to Afghanistan, but instead I was in a village five days north of the nearest road on a completely different planet. I was also part of the team handling first contact with this specific village as a test-run to see if we could fuck this up less. So far, this wasn't turning out to be very hard.

"I can't believe you're taking pictures of them." One of our interpreters said as she sat down on a stone near a corn crib. "What if it actually does steal their souls this time? The Nokli aren't the most forgiving people, even if they look like lowlanders."

"And they'd like to see what they look like, which makes my job that much easier." I replied as I photographed some of the houses. "Arwi, why don't you go bother your husband or something? He's probably already making pancakes for the villagers."

"Of course he is." She said, rolling her eyes, "Doctor Corlett, we should join them since it smells like the rest of the food is almost ready. Why are you taking so many pictures anyway?"

"Documentation." I replied. "This is the biggest first contact event my people have had in a long time and the first with agricultural societies outside New Guinea in a few generations. I really don't want to cock this up."

"So you're recording everything?"

"Yes, I'm taking photographs and getting some video. Simmons is taking notes on everything else."

"What's the point?" Arwi asked. "With as tight as you're becoming with the lowlanders, they'll all be taken down to the valley before my children are grown and I doubt that many of the girls here will be as lucky as I was and get bought by a Marine."

"That's even more of a reason to get as much information as we can." I said as I turned to photograph more of what looked like the village temple.

"All this is doing is making it easier for the Meledli to reach these people like they did mine, while guns and roads will just help them cut out the middlemen as they hunt for labor." Arwi said. "I understand that you're trying to change them as Aede's ancestors did before, but can you do it fast enough?"

"I don't think I've ever see you not be a bubbly blonde in public." Corporal Johnson said as he walked up. "I like it."

"Well, you know how I am around men. And Wyta." Arwi said as she perked up. "Overfed lowlander bitch…"

"They made clay bird with the pheasants for dinner." Johnson said as he put his hand on his wife's shoulder, "And I know you love that."

"Anything else?" I asked.

"Boot's running the griddle and the Nokli have stew and some plums." Johnson said.

"That sounds good." Arwi said.

Dinner was good, and as we sat around with the elders exchanging stories, I finally got around to asking where the Nokli were from originally.

"That's easy." Arwi replied before any of the elders could get a word in. "They're relatives of the Meledli, and are the descendants of the people who fled to the hills to avoid King Aede's ancestors. They're like the rest of us hill people. Cast-offs, escaped slaves and ne'er do wells who went out of the lowlands and into the forests to avoid some tyrant or another. Of course the Meledli still see us all as uncivilized cat fuckers, even if they're the ones who pay extra for them."

"I'd like to hear them say that though." I said. One of the elders did that head-tossing shrug, tossing his black hair about.

"And I'm one of them." Arwi replied. "Well, I mean my father was Arawas, but my mother was Nokli."

"Right, and the Arawas are?"

"Those perverts with top knots who fuck sheep and full-bloods, and speak that godawful language." One of the elders responded.

"So that's why you get along with the Marines so well." I said as I looked at Arwi.

Both of the Johnsons gave me a murderous look, and I dropped it.

"But could you be more specific? That's a pretty wide description." I said to the elders.

"They also shave their faces and make their summer shoes from bast instead of leather." One of the elders replied almost helpfully. "They live uphill. Occasionally we raid them and sell them to the lowlanders, sometimes they do it to us, and sometimes we both raid the lowlanders when their king is weak. We also trade for saltfish and tools, but that's just a fact of life."

I switched back to english, and looked at Arwi. "I'm guessing they're not going to be big fans of Crytus' love affair with roads."

It took her a good five minutes to stop laughing. "They'll probably move." Arwi said, also switching back. "They'll buy the best axes they can and clear new land a few days away from the road, or skip the clearing and just give up corn. It's what my village did when I was a child."

"They gave up corn? What was their main grain?" I asked, scratching my chin.

Arwi shrugged. "Grains are the things you can make bread with, right?"

"Close enough."

Awri shuddered. "Acorns and chestnuts. Lots of acorns and chestnuts. You'd roast them on a rock, and then you'd grind them up into this dusty flour and dump it in with the stew to thicken it. Also, parsnips."

"Sounds delicious." Johnson replied.

"It's not bad when you get used to it, but it's still just stew or turnips all the damn time." Arwi said. "Not that the lowlanders are better off, since they're taxed and forced to grow corn, and give meat to their ruler."

"Yes, because one ear in ten is so steep." her husband replied.

"It's the principle of the thing, and I'm not sure it's something the lowest of the lowlanders would understand." Arwi replied.

"We've both been to Afghanistan, and we've seen this sort of thing." I replied. "Aside from the raiding, Crytus is actually kinda marginal as far as warlords go."

"So what defines your warlords, then?" Awri asked, chuckling.

"Politics, firepower and usually drug money." Johnson said. "Plus there was like actually a war on, and they'd use that to try and get legitimacy from a government that couldn't just enforce its will."

"I don't really see the difference." Arwi replied.

"Crytus isn't looking for any of that from the US, and we could roll over him in a weekend if we honestly wanted to, even with just the equipment we already have here and the fuel to actually use it." Her husband said.

"But you don't." Arwi said.

"We've been fighting two wars of a scale you can't even comprehend on our homeworld for the last decade. We're tired, and wars are expensive. Especially in places like this, and with people like this." I said as I swung an arm around for emphasis, "The General is happy with us just holding the portal and doing missions like this to see what else is out here, either to trade and find some way to justify the cost of occupying Metella for the next forever or just to get whatever data the scientists are so giddy about."

"Didn't Lieutenant Bear say the data he was getting was priceless?" Arwi said. "Shouldn't that be enough."

"Yes," Her husband replied. "Just don't tell the republicans. Or my parents."

"When the hell are we going to meet them anyway?" Arwi said. "I want my goddamned honeymoon."

"After Doctor Corlett is satisfied with the material he has, and the LT decides to head back." Johnson said as he looked at me. I swallowed nervously.

"We should be done in a day, and be headed back after that." I said.

>inb4 Marine Cargo Cult forms by the natives who want more bread
The pancake cult.

Really do have to wonder how much syrup they bring when they head out on trips like this. Because like that stuff gets bulky much faster than instant pancake mix and plastic forks.

But yeah they love their gluten. You would too if the closest you ever got to really fluffy bread previously were like a cross between sopes and shortcrust pastry.

The pancake cult.

Really do have to wonder how much syrup they bring when they head out on trips like this. Because like that stuff gets bulky much faster than instant pancake mix and plastic forks.

But yeah they love their gluten. You would too if the closest you ever got to really fluffy bread previously were like a cross between sopes and shortcrust pastry.
The most insidious way of taking a place over--get them addicted to white bread that'll give them all heart disease and other health problems 20 years from now after they start mainlining it.

Embassy Found
Gesturing towards the road that lead towards the embassy, Pelas groaned quietly. He'd heard two flashbangs go off inside the palace, and the echoing gunfire out of it wasn't helping sooth his nerves either.

"C'mon. Sooner we can get the embassy secured, the better." Pellas called, leading the way for the loose group of Marines. Moving through the city was hard, though. Everything seemed quiet. Too quiet.

Yes, those words were usually an invitation for a Giger-esque alien to come out of nowhere in an attempt to rip and tear, but at this point it would have been welcoming to see something they could fight. Urban fighting was hell on the nerves, and they never knew what might be lurking in the buildings, waiting for them to turn their back so a spear or axe could be used to attack.

They knew they were close when they found the first corpse. He'd been on the roof of a building, and had fallen off when the bullet hit him. Trying to seize the high ground was a good idea, but when a marksman could see you, the marksman could kill you and there was nothing a short rise like a building could do to save someone from that. As they pressed further in, it quickly became obvious where the embassy was.

"Careful, now." Pellas muttered. "Hey! In the house! We're friendlies!"

Moments later, a soldier came out- one in familiar tan cammies, and not some exoctic uniform. Keeping their rifle at the low ready, they slowly moved forward. It was a little disturbing when Pellas noted the blood on their bayonet, but he steeled himself and waited for the American to get closer.

"You're part of the relief party, right?" the soldier asked carefully. "I'm Mendez."

"Yeah, we're the relief party." Pellas called. "Let's get inside."

---

Pacing wildly, Wyta looked over at the new companions the little house had grown. Fourteen additional warm bodies, plus the four that were here and their own unusual weapons, meant she might just have a chance at breaking out and taking care of those ships. If she got close enough to the ward source, she might be able to use a smaller spell to get the ward source to drop his focus, at which point she'd break out the greater magics, like earthquakes or something. Earthquakes might be a bit much, though- she needed the city to stay in decent shape. Maybe liquefying the earth so it swallowed them up? Yeah, that would work.

Now all she had to do was find a way to slip a word in edgewise against the conversation Bear, the black man who had come in with the rescue force, and Johnson were having.

"So there's artillery, right?" Bear asked, as another series of booms went off. "That sounds like artillery."

"We brought the tank platoon." the black man replied. "They're supposed to be fighting the ships, but it doesn't sound like they're shooting enough. Something might be wrong."

"Staff Sergeant Pellas… do we have a plan?" Johnson asked, her nervous energy pulsing. "We've got rounds, but this isn't a great place to stage a last stand."

"We're gathering people up by the market." the now-named as Pellas man stated. "If we get them there, along with the valuable equipment, you'll have machine gunners all around to support. We can always get another house."

"Great." muttered Bear. "Well, we've got spare hands to carry gear, so that's not going to be too big an issue."

Choosing that moment, Wyta stepped in carefully. "I can help, some."

"Thought you said you couldn't do anything without getting fried?" Bear asked, curious.

"Something's up with the ward. It's…" Wyta shook her hand. "You know that quote from the guy in a blue box?"

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a nonlinear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey... stuff" Bear supplied, recalling the Doctor Who quote.

"Pretty much that." Wyta said, shrugging. "Only magic."

Snorting, Pellas looked at Wyta very carefully. "What kind of magic?"

"What do you mean?" she asked, glaring at the NCO.

Pellas sighed. "How far away do we have to stand not to get hit with the backlash?"

A little hand-waving later, and Wyta grinned. "Ten feet, ish."

"I hate to break up the meguca party, but how is this going to help?" Johnson asked, her face stern. "Can't exactly point her at the enemy and expect results."

"No, but if I go down to the beach and start blowing their ships up, that'll concentrate them nicely. Besides, fucking pigs probably already started capturing slaves." Wyta said, grinning. "Figure if we open up their ships, might get some net profit out of the deal. Or just my father's idiots back."

Looking back across to Bear and Johnson, Pellas began planning carefully. "We've got fourteen guys, and six in the Weapons. That's two machine gunners and four AGs… twenty total. Say we send six of the rifles and two of the AGs with the guys here to the market with your refugees. The rest come with us, and we go down and save anybody in the boats, then Wyta here wrecks them and we try and draw as many as we can into a killing field."

Looking over, Johnson sighed. "Where'd the squad sergeant go?"

As a burst of rifle fire went off from outside the building, the Marines moved quickly to see Sergeant Hancock holding an arrow in his arm, and a screaming enemy soldier he'd maimed down the way with a short bow and stone axe. Putting two on target reflexively, Pellas sighed.

"Guess that answers that." he muttered. "God, this is a right mess."

Bear's wry smile bore out carefully, and he looked at Pellas. "You thought it would be literally anything else?"

"Hope dies last, Lieutenant." the NCO replied, groaning. "Lance Corporal Johnson, change of plans. Think you can take some guys down with, er-"

"Wyta." Bear interjected.

"Yes, her. Make it four guys, and take one of the machine guns. Make sure to not die and all. Looks like I'm taking this lot to the market."

Johnson nodded, her frayed hair bobbing in time with her head. Looking over the guys, she pointed at three guys, as well as the machine gunner who hadn't been leering overmuch at the refugees in the back. With Wyta leading them towards the shore, they disappeared into the smoke without fanfare. Turning, Pelas looked at Bear.

"You mind leading the way?"

A shrug later, and Bear started guiding the group back down the straight road to the market. It was time to go, and hope the few assigned to remain could hold the building. It was a well-founded hope, and while those might not hold up so well these days, it was all they were going to get until the city was clear.

Yes, I iz idea person. Having peons I could hand outlines to would be amazing.

I'm working on the next thing I swear.

You say that, while I'm looking for something that isn't this damn battle to write or the fustercluck that's going to be the next ZeppelinQuest update.

You say that, while I'm looking for something that isn't this damn battle to write or the fustercluck that's going to be the next ZeppelinQuest update.
Write some romance or something. IDK, just like some marine getting into a contract marriage with a local woman because she wants bread, and half his squadmates snore.

But now you see why all my updates are pretty much just people sitting around and talking. :V

Write some romance or something. IDK, just like some marine getting into a contract marriage with a local woman because she wants bread, and half his squadmates snore.

But now you see why all my updates are pretty much just people sitting around and talking. :V

But that means more characters, which means more plots to chart, which is a pain and will forever be my job because I'm the only guy willing to beat on their front doors for plot summaries!

Baker, Baker (Week 7)
Sitting carefully in the village, a young Marine looked left very carefully. Nobody was there. Then he looked right, scanning the street for any officers, NCOs, or civilians. A rustle of leaves was all he got. With great paranoia, he checked behind him. There was a wall of a house. Sighing in relief, he pulled open his satchel, and got out his lunch. First up was a peanut butter cup, along with an apple. Slicing the apple to eat the peanut butter, the Marine smiled and finished that up, before eating the core and putting the litter back. Next came the dangerous part, though.

"Hello!" a cheery voice shouted from right by his elbow, and the Marine sprawled backwards, bagel flying. Leaping over him to catch it, the local girl saved the bread from falling in the muck of the road, messing up her tunic and skirt in the process. Standing up, she moved in to tisk at the Marine for making her need to leap to save what was now her lunch.

"Hey, hey, ease up!" the Marine yelled. Trying to get to his feet, he lunged for the bagel and missed, nearly ending up on the ground. The local girl laughed at him, before skipping away. Striding after her, the Marine got up next to her, and started waving his hands angrily.

"You can't just take a guy's lunch!" he yelled, looking at the girl angrily. Her response was a chuckle, and bumping his shoulder. Turning, they kept going until they ended up at one of the local buildings that was fairly permanent, with log corners and a foundation, with heavy cedar planks making up the walls. Ducking in after the girl, the Marine had to let his eyes adjust from the relative light to the dark, illuminated only from a few shuttered windows by the back of the building and a small firebowl, raised from the floor. At a table, the girl sat fiddling with a small charm, the food sitting there on a small metal plate.

"Hey!" he yelled, before his brain kicked in. "My lunch!"

Blinking, the girl smiled at him. "My lunch, now."

"You could have asked for it!"

The girl started. "Really? When I go to the food place, they don't give me any."

The Marine groaned quietly, and rolled his eyes. "That's because they don't serve civies there. If you ask one of us, outside the mess hall, then we'll probably give you something. Its tax-deductable, so…"

The girl's eyes widened. "You don't get taxed on things that go to the Temple?"

The Marine shrugged. "Yes?"

"What's your name?"

"Martel… Thomas Martel."

"And you can get more bread, right?"

"Yes…"

The girl smiled, standing up and giving the Marine a bow. "I am Jenevie, Apprentice Priestess of this temple. What would you like in return, if you were to bring a portion of bread unto the temple once a week?"

Martel shrugged. "Hmm. Can I get my bagel back first?"

Breaking the bagel into three, Jenevie put one portion onto the plate, one onto the table, and one to Martel. Nodding, Martel ate his piece, while Jenevie put one piece into the fire and ate the next piece. This done, she smiled at him and leaned back, content.

"Do you want to take a seat?" she asked, smiling. "If you are interested, we still have a little beer."

"Okay...." Martel said. "But, why?"

Jenevie smiled, and grabbed the small skin of beer off a shelf.

"Well, you are a patron of the temple now. It would be quite rude for me to not grant you some hospitality." she said, smiling. "Besides, when they learn I got a patron, the old man will finally let me out sometimes!"

Martel just raised an eyebrow, and took a sip of the beer. Aside from the musty, goat-like taste, it reminded him of chewing on barley soaked in honey. Handing it back, he watched Jenevie take a sip, before corking it and putting it on the table. Sighing, he just checked his watch, before standing.

"Well, it's nice to meet you, Jenevie, but I have to be at the barracks soon."

"And you as well, Martel."

---

It was two days later that Martel discovered he'd made a mistake. The means of this learning were a Master Sergeant coming down on Bravo Company like a ton of bricks, plus the joy of an attached staffing lieutenant. Apparently, there'd been a couple of issues back at the town- including one very junior temple helper and a priestess who wanted to see him. One uncomfortable humvee ride later, and Martel was standing outside the temple with three loaves of bread and a case of beer. Knocking on the door, he was surprised when a different woman opened it with a wide smile.

"Come in, come in!" the woman said, smiling. "You're the new patron of the temple, yes?"

"Ah, yes?" Martel said, stepping in over the threshold carefully. As a tingle went through his skin, he smiled carefully. "I bought the bread, ma'am."

"Oh, thank you!" she said, smiling. "You can call me Corn Woman."

Martel blinked, and nodded. "Yes, ma'am."

"Oh, you must be new to the temple. Don't worry, I promise I won't be up to any mischief. Jenevie, darling! Come over- your good friend brought the bread!"

---

Outside, the intelligence officer driving the humvee grabbed his radio and looked at his assistant. As cliche as disguising a captain as a sergeant might be, it generally worked if they didn't say anything.

"So… that new priestess." the Lieutenant said, looking at his boss. "Call it a hunch, but I don't think she's what she says she is."

"Considering I heard half of that and she didn't ever say what she was…" the Captain muttered.

"So, should we put this in the 'spooky things' folder next to the hunting god prophet that got pissed when we were building the roads to whateverthehell they call the capitol?"

"Yeah, and this feels about as funny as last time."

"Yeesh." muttered the Captain. "Why did I have to work HUMINT?"

"Because we don't have a magical SIGINT yet."

"We need to get on that."

"Yep."

How long until the temple starts building grain silos?

Eh, probably a good ways away. The issue is that American farming innovations other than nitrate fertilizers and crops aren't going to have a huge initial food yield improvement. What they've got, though, is effort reduction for a given crop, which since labor is pretty fixed means that crop yields are going to rise due to the fact there's now free time to improve the quality of the crop, like build new fences or use existing fertilizers.

That said, once an American Corn field is planted versus local corn, the difference is going to be huge, and is probably going to be one of the goods that starts pulling trade in from the Volga and Danube regions.

How long until the temple starts building grain silos?
They've got corncribs at the temple.

But yeah the biggest improvements would come from new equipment like metal tools and the like. Chemical fertilizers, pesticides and hybrid seed are things they'll probably try and hold off on introducing since there's enough low hanging fruit that won't cause systemic issues down the line. Like compared even to modern organic farming their crop yields per acre are kinda meager and they put a lot more effort in per calorie.

Heirloom crops are going to be a pretty big deal, along with a lot of organic pest management practices that won't put them on that particular treadmill.

Eh, probably a good ways away. The issue is that American farming innovations other than nitrate fertilizers and crops aren't going to have a huge initial food yield improvement. What they've got, though, is effort reduction for a given crop, which since labor is pretty fixed means that crop yields are going to rise due to the fact there's now free time to improve the quality of the crop, like build new fences or use existing fertilizers.

That said, once an American Corn field is planted versus local corn, the difference is going to be huge, and is probably going to be one of the goods that starts pulling trade in from the Volga and Danube regions.

I doubt they will bring in any off-world crops, as everyone with any historical knowledge will immediately start screaming about invasive species. Besides, modern corn requires a lot more babying than a medieval farmer could or would give.

It's completely unnecessary as well. Just raiding some old farms for their animal-drawn plows and threashers would be a huge force multiplier.

I doubt they will bring in any off-world crops, as everyone with any historical knowledge will immediately start screaming about invasive species.
That's more an issue with livestock.
Vegetable and grain crops actually don't scatter their seeds enough (or at all) for it to be an issue. Corn hybridization would be a big problem but like introducing the locals to heirloom wheat, peppers and pumpkins isn't exactly likely to cause massive ecological devastation.

They're absolutely banning the importation of anything outside military dogs in terms of animals, and only allowing exports of live animals for testing and zoo displays. And even then, those animals still go through or basically live in quarantine.

Last of the Enemy
Making sure the wound on his arm was firmly bandaged, Walker checked his ammo load for his pistol and pulled out his combat knife. About half the rifle squad was down with injuries or covering the injured, giving him six warm bodies left to press on with. The slat wood doors on the end of the hall were almost vibrating with magical power, preventing those that might try and pass.

"Fuck that noise." Walker decided, before putting his boot to the door. Inside, two more guards marveled at the interruption before the remains of the rifle squad started hosing them with bullets again. Moving in calmly, the lieutenant turned the corner from what was technically the throne room towards the small enclosure that the royal family occupied. This was the only part of the building built totally out of stone, for safety of the royal family in case of attack. The slot hallway was barely big enough for Walker to go down and keep his shoulders square, but when he emerged from the curtain at the other end he hissed quickly, bringing his gun up. Staring him in the face were three lit braizers, an impromptu alter arranged between them. The wooden surface was stained red, an unidentifiable organ in a dish to the side. Below it was the body of King Aede, his chest torn open and face in a rictus of pain. Above was a man in dark robes, burgundy and black standing out against a golden chain around his neck and a white marble circlet on his brow.

That wasn't the important part, though. That was the background to the girl scrabbling at an invisible wall, trying and failing to get through and away from the murderer behind her. Her robe had been slashed at and torn, and she was bruised and bleeding from any number of places. It didn't take a genius to realize what she was asking for, and Timothy Walker had no intention of letting this progress, all else be damned.

Two quick shots proved that the triangle of braziers worked as a wall inbound as well as outbound. Swearing, Timothy ran in, nearly slipping on the rushes that covered the stone flagstones. His knife was of no use, and his gun wasn't helping either. The murderer laughed, taking the time to dump what had been Aede's heart in one of the fires. Smirking, he grabbed the girl's wrist to haul her onto the altar, before cutting away the remains of her dress with quick, practiced motions.

"No!" Timothy yelled, reaching into his belt. He didn't have much; just a book of matches and a fistfull of sand. Throwing the dirt against the magical barrier caused it to catch, floating suspended in the air. It hung there as a phantom, obscuring the view as the murderer prepared to make himself a rapist as well.

Just then, there was a pulsing in the air, a great potential dissipating in a flash. Watching the sand fall as if the barrier was gone, Timothy took a chance, leaping through what was a barrier and into the center of the triangle. Snorting, the man grabbed his knife and leapt forward, right into a fusillade of bullets from Timothy. The rounds didn't stop him, though, presuming any hit.

Considering that he was fighting a literal wizard, it probably didn't matter. Cold steel would settle this well enough. Dodging the first wild swing of the sorcerer, Timothy dropped his empty gun and moved in with a punch that connected against a toned muscle, before transitioning into a grab to catch the loose robes and throw. Sent flying into his own brazier, the sorcerer managed to slash and cut Timothy before he was thrown. Curling his injured arm up protectively for a minute, Timothy worked his fingers carefully, before clenching them into a fist. His hand would work, for now.

The wizard was angry, now, enraged by the coals smoldering in his clothes. Throwing off the outer layer of his rainments, he charged in to grab and stab, only to be met with a hip check. His reward was loosing his balance and tripping, along with a cut clean through Timothy's armor. The later, never one to miss an opportunity, drove his knife into the sorcerers' shoulder before moving back to dodge a storm of feet. When the sorcerer tried to rise, though, Timothy tackled him to get him back on the ground, his own knife raised high. Slamming it down through the collarbone, Timothy twisted as he withdrew. Bits of bone and tendons came with his knife on the serrations, and blood flew freely.

Heaving himself up, Lieutenant Walker wiped off his knife on the leg of his pants, before moving over to where he'd dropped his Beretta in the melee. Loading and cocking it was automatic as breathing, his eyes glazed over.

"Hey! Lieutenant! What happened?" one of the Marines yelled from the passage. "It went all dark, and we got stuck! What happened?"

Lieutenant Walker pulled air in and out mechanically, his eyes glazed over. Moments later, the three braizers went out without a sound, their light and heat gone to be replaced with moonlight seeping in through slots in the roof. As the silvery beams danced through the dark and hinted at what savergy had happened, the girl- no, the woman- stood up, hands shaking as she moved towards her savior.

"Emmortet." she muttered, holding onto his arm carefully. She wouldn't let go, the moonlight lending a silver light as tears started to flow through the smoke and grime she'd been caked with as the rituals had gone on before their interruption. "Emmortet."

Timothy nodded, the woman clinging to him bringing him back closer to reality. Stepping carefully, he started back towards the entrance, back to something even near sanity. Behind him, the black stains on the floor only grew.

---

It was about five minutes later that Lieutenant Vegas arrived, after an eternity of real time. Real time was not counted in minutes or seconds, but events. First command, first battle, first injury. First blood. First kill.

"Man, snap out of it!" Vegas yelled, looking at the stool Timothy was perched on in the main hall. The refugees had been moved there instead, as well as everyone else. It was where the wounded were, after all. "I'm trying to secure this rat trap and my boys can't find shit!"

Shaking his head briefly, Timothy looked up and gave his roommate a toothy grin. "Tanks on the left flank past the wall, right's a swamp. Did you relieve the beach redoubts?"

"Yeah, we got to the northwest corner where most of the fighting was. Most of my guys are still there, and I parked the AT section off by the beach."

"Did you find any of the notables? The captain of the guard?"

"No, and you know I can't speak the language like you can."

Shaking his hand, Timothy sighed and tried to straighten up without disturbing the woman at his side. It wasn't a bother to have her here, even if she was hogging up one of the few medic's blankets. Nobody leered at her when it slipped, though; the exhaustion of battle meant nobody had time for any mischief.

Assuming Lieutenant Walker would stand it. The knife riding high on his belt and broad stains placed on his pants in mindless strokes suggested otherwise.

"Tim! C'mon, man, focus!"

Snapping back to reality, Timothy looked at Vegas carefully. "What is it?"

"Some of your Weapons guys are coming back, and they've got what looks like a few dozen prisoners or refugees or something."

Timothy groaned, looking up to the heavens despairingly. "Is there a medium-tan woman laughing maniacally in the front with weird tattoos?"

"Yeah, and she looks happy-ish."

"Well, go get her then!"

It wasn't much later before Wyta came into the hall, laughing and crowing. She'd scored a victory over the enemy mages, or clerics as she called them, twice over- once, when they had dropped a ward because of the tanks' fire, and once more when she'd stopped the clumsy work of their leader from tapping into the earth for magic here. Her merriment stopped, though, when she saw the young woman clinging to Timothy. Shock replaced it, before she rushed over and started babbling in her native language faster than anyone could keep up. Moments after moments passed, before she looked at Timothy, carefully.

"You almost made it." Wyta muttered, looking at the woman beside Timothy. "You almost made it in time to save my father."

"Sorry." was her only response. It was almost sincere, if it was Lieutenant Walker saying it and not Timothy. "We did what we could."

His response was a wry smile, and a chuckle. "You saved my sister, and your men saved my brother. Against a cleric of the Lord of War? You've done more than enough."

Vegas stepped in, wary. "Lord of War? Is that one of the gods around here?"

"Yes. His followers to the south sometimes come up and raid. The fact we sank eight ships ought to give them pause for next time. Killing his clerics moreso."

"Christ…" muttered Vegas, stroking his chin.

"You're invoking the name of your god after you're done fighting?" Wyta queeried, confused. "Marines are weird."

A moment passed in silence, before Wyta's sister grabbed on to the friendly mage and asked her something. A chuckle met it, before Wyta rubbed her sister's head affectionately and murmured something. Pulling her hand back, the sister muttered a "thanks" and went back to Timothy's side.

"You did one of those voodoo things again, didn't you." Vegas asked, curious.

Wyta chuckled. "Yeah, so? Euenia asked to learn English, so I just gave her a hand. Speaking of which; Lieutenant Walker, Euenia. Hope you two get along well, because I'm pretty sure Crytus is gonna ask you two to get married after he takes the throne."

"Saywhatnow?" both Timothy and Vegas asked, heads pivoting to Wyta.

"You literally saved her life from the cleric, and your men were the ones to drive the invaders out while Crytus was stuck at the redoubt on the beach gate. Then you call your friend here, and he's got the whole place crawling with Marines who've already kept a fire from breaking out or some damnfool merchant from leading a coup, plus your death machines sank two boats even if one of them did get smote." Wyta rattled off, before rolling her shoulders. "Plus, you actually killed a cleric of the Lord of War, which is pretty damn hard for a mortal and probably worth you getting something by itself. Besides, Euenia needs to get married sooner rather than later and she likes you."

Vegas looked at Timothy who looked at Vegas. Both then scanned the room for more senior officers, found none, and looked for Staff NCOs. There were none of those either, unfortunately. It looked like they'd actually have to make an unsupported decision for once.

"I… um, can't really… err…" Timothy stuttered, trying to stall for time.

"You see, under the… um, this decision… ah…" Vegas supported, before getting cut off with a withering glare. Apparently only the groom was allowed to stall for time here.

"Not now, of course." Wyta said, smirking. "But soon."

Looking anywhere but Wyta, Timothy tried to find any way out of the commitment until he looked down. Euenia was still on the floor, holding his arm carefully. She still looked terrible, but as she looked up at him and mouthed 'please?' he found his only real answer was "Yes."

Threadmarks adjusted to put everything in chronological order. We're finally out of the opening slog, though!

Back