Barbie Movie (2023)

www.indiewire.com

‘Barbie’ to Stream on Max Starting December 15, Including Special ASL Version

ASL performer Leila Hanaumi signs Greta Gerwig’s film, and she’ll be in conversation with Margot Robbie at an LA screening on Dec. 14.
"Barbie" will finally make its streaming debut on Max starting December 15 after spending months dominating the box office and the premium VOD charts. It arrives just in time for all your holiday viewing and for awards season voters to give it another look before the end of the year.

"Barbie" will also launch on Max with a special American Sign Language (ASL) version of the film, which features ASL performer Leila Hanaumi signing along throughout the movie. Hanaumi is known for Deaf Austin Theatre's "The Laramie Project" and an ASL cover for Tove Lo's music video for the song "True Romance." You can find it on Max as a standalone title on the streamer as identified with the sign language symbol in its key art.

Dude, just stop already. I understand wanting to ride this crazy train to the end, but don't you have a new film coming out? :tongue:
www.hollywoodreporter.com

Ryan Gosling Unveils ‘Ken The EP,’ Featuring Three New Versions of “I’m Just Ken” from ‘Barbie’

He also dropped a performance video for the holiday version featuring 'Barbie' scoring duo Mark Ronson and Andrew Wyatt.
The EP features the original "I'm Just Ken" from the record-breaking Barbie movie as well as three new versions including "I'm Just Ken (Merry Kristmas Barbie)," "I'm Just Ken (In My Feelings Acoustic)" and "I'm Just Ken (Purple Disco Machine Remix)."

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKO84c6SbfY

Dude, just stop already. I understand wanting to ride this crazy train to the end, but don't you have a new film coming out? :tongue:
www.hollywoodreporter.com

Ryan Gosling Unveils ‘Ken The EP,’ Featuring Three New Versions of “I’m Just Ken” from ‘Barbie’

He also dropped a performance video for the holiday version featuring 'Barbie' scoring duo Mark Ronson and Andrew Wyatt.
He was good in the movie but holy shit way to prove the movie right about the double standards between men and women in media.

Wait what do you mean
There is a pretty obvious bias in Hollywood and the media surrounding it against women and towards men. Women are often downplayed or treated as having a limited perspective while male directors are praised even if they make essentially the same movie over and over. Women being difficult to work with is often a career ender but men can often get away with it under the umbrella of method acting or quirkiness.

Ryan Gosling is a good actor, I like him a lot of stuff he's in and he has a notably great range, not everyone can pull of Barbie and a place beyond the pines... but to immediately focus on him and his performance over Margot Robbie feels very much a product of that bias.

I guess that makes sense I don't mind because I find the song enjoyable

I guess that makes sense I don't mind because I find the song enjoyable
the song is great. I really liked it, I am not saying your not allowed to like the song or Goslings performance I am just saying that people latching onto the song and Goslings performance is kind of indicative of a broader issue where we gravitate our attention towards the man in the proverbial room.

Everyone talk about how he was so good, but there's comparatively way less hubbub about the actresses.

Because he was the most interesting and dynamic character. Pretending otherwise is silly.

Margot Robbie's Barbie was a pretty passive character, whose character arc was partly externalised into America Ferrera's character. Who was so one note as the mum that nobody remembers her character's name. The other Barbies are incredibly one-note and are just either their job or a token physical characteristic if you think about them. Except for weird Barbie, who they all shit on.

I didn't write the movie, nor did Ryan Gosling. Gertig Gerwig was the director and co-writer, and Margot Robbie produced it. They made a movie that didn't really demand much from the actresses (who still did a fine job) but gave the most to Ryan Gosling, Simu Liu and the other Kens. If you watch the movie, he has consistent, constant, well-realised motivations and feels like the actual protagonist more so than her. Barbie is purposefully a semi-blank slate. Even in the early movie, he acts more human, while she acts more like a doll. He is also consistently flamboyant and funny, while she is downbeat, crying or confused.

The Kens, also don't exist to fill an occupation or to fill a diversity checklist, as the Barbies consciously did. (There is fat Barbie and wheelchair Barbie, but no fat Ken or disabled Ken). Simu Liu is smug and competitive. That's two more characteristics than any of the main Barbies really. I can picture even some of the minor Kens, more distinctly than the Barbies. Because they are allowed to be confrontational, competitive, calculating, supportive, demure, cloying, happy, sad, etc. Meanwhile, all the Barbies are either extremely over-the-top nice to each other and their Besties (every other Barbie), or under Ken's spell. Barbie has no rivals, the only Barbie with any gradation is again weird Barbie.

The entire Barbie plan to divide the Ken's revolves around exploiting the fact that Ken's have interests and emotional dimensions. Where do we see the Barbie's having interests, outside the Barbie monoculture?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAwLMS8fgoA

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3adW1CL0W7w&t=78s

If anything it is an artifact shared across a lot of Hollywood movies, where even female writers will write women characters that are too muted and sanded down, while letting male characters be free to be silly, offbeat, weird or flawed. And they are doing so, because they are fearful of being called women haters, not because they hate women. But it again means that yeah the male actors are on top because even women end up liking Ken more because he can exist in real dimensions.

That's without even getting into the fact that the Barbies were ruling a caste society and that entire dimension of the movie.

Last edited:
If you watch the movie, he has consistent, constant, well-realised motivations and feels like the actual protagonist more so than her. Barbie is purposefully a semi-blank slate.
Completely different demographics, but this feels reminiscent of how older harem anime romcoms are, but with the genders reversed, with the girls feeling like fully realized characters and the guy being a blank slate.

Also people were praising Margot Robbie, but it had that air of 'look it's Margot Robbie do we really need to tell you she's really good' while Gosling had that air of 'where the hell did THIS come from'.

Completely different demographics, but this feels reminiscent of how older harem anime romcoms are, but with the genders reversed, with the girls feeling like fully realized characters and the guy being a blank slate.
The guys in older romcom harems weren't blank slates tho. Ranma had a a personality (a rather toxic one of you ask me), and expressed it pretty often on screen/page.

Because he was the most interesting and dynamic character. Pretending otherwise is silly.

Margot Robbie's Barbie was a pretty passive character, whose character arc was partly externalised into America Ferrera's character. Who was so one note as the mum that nobody remembers her character's name. The other Barbies are incredibly one-note and are just either their job or a token physical characteristic if you think about them. Except for weird Barbie, who they all shit on.

I didn't write the movie, nor did Ryan Gosling. Gertig Gerwig was the director and co-writer, and Margot Robbie produced it. They made a movie that didn't really demand much from the actresses (who still did a fine job) but gave the most to Ryan Gosling, Simu Liu and the other Kens. If you watch the movie, he has consistent, constant, well-realised motivations and feels like the actual protagonist more so than her. Barbie is purposefully a semi-blank slate. Even in the early movie, he acts more human, while she acts more like a doll. He is also consistently flamboyant and funny, while she is downbeat, crying or confused.

The Kens, also don't exist to fill an occupation or to fill a diversity checklist, as the Barbies consciously did. (There is fat Barbie and wheelchair Barbie, but no fat Ken or disabled Ken). Simu Liu is smug and competitive. That's two more characteristics than any of the main Barbies really. I can picture even some of the minor Kens, more distinctly than the Barbies. Because they are allowed to be confrontational, competitive, calculating, supportive, demure, cloying, happy, sad, etc. Meanwhile, all the Barbies are either extremely over-the-top nice to each other and their Besties (every other Barbie), or under Ken's spell. Barbie has no rivals, the only Barbie with any gradation is again weird Barbie.

The entire Barbie plan to divide the Ken's revolves around exploiting the fact that Ken's have interests and emotional dimensions. Where do we see the Barbie's having interests, outside the Barbie monoculture?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAwLMS8fgoA

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3adW1CL0W7w&t=78s

If anything it is an artifact shared across a lot of Hollywood movies, where even female writers will write women characters that are too muted and sanded down, while letting male characters be free to be silly, offbeat, weird or flawed. And they are doing so, because they are fearful of being called women haters, not because they hate women. But it again means that yeah the male actors are on top because even women end up liking Ken more because he can exist in real dimensions.

That's without even getting into the fact that the Barbies were ruling a caste society and that entire dimension of the movie.

It is funny how hard this whole post proves the point that it's trying to rebutt.

I finally watched the movie and it was... good? Yeah, good. Which left me slightly disappointed, since I'd heard so much "Holy shit this movie is amazing" comments, but I guess that's the peril of high expectations. I still enjoyed it, mind, I just didn't find it as incredible as the hype made me expect.

People got their mind blown that real, but very introductory, feminism was allowed in a movie.

Most of the time cinema feminism is on the "We need more female concentration camp guards" Level of girlbossing.

Its actually very common for Best Picture nominees to return to theaters after nominees are announced and before the actual winner is declared. A lot of folks like seeing the nominees for themselves if they havent already so they can form a completely meaningless opinion for themselves about who should win. Even independent cinemas will sometimes get in on the action since its Awards Ceremony stuff.

Having watched it both in theaters and at home, yes there is in fact a very different feel to watching it in the theater.

Oh there's a quite significant difference to seeing it in the theater - just not so much visually but audibly. Movie soundtracks are recorded for the theatrical environment, where you can have a lot of tracks and fit in noises, musical score and dialog while keeping all three legible. For the small screen, this gets down mixed with the usual result of any major budget movie made in the last 15 years more or less requiring subtitles so you can make out what is being said.

Yeah, like watching something in a theater/cinema is a hugely different and in my view considerably more enjoyable experience than watching something at home. Unless you're, like, wealthy enough to afford basically setting up a theater in your home. Even for, like, kinda mid movies that you wouldn't really think you'd need to see on a big screen it can still add a great deal. Like obviously the writing doesn't change but the direction, cinematography and sound design have a completely different feel.

Also, like, the social aspect can sometimes be really beneficial as well? Part of the reason I have very fond memories of Thor Ragnarok despite its writing flaws is that I saw it in a theatre where everyone in the audience was having a blast and that enabled a fantastic positive feedback loop. Of course, the complication is what if you end up in a screening that gets ruined by other audience members, but that's basically never happened in my experience. Though sometimes I hear weird things about American theater audiences being more obnoxious/vocal than in other places.

Back