Antman and the Wasp

I was somewhat looking forward to this, then I read about the mid-credits scene and suddenly all desire to see it just drained out of me like diarrhoea. Someone please wake me when Infinity War 2: European Gigolo comes out next year and the nightmare finally ends.

I was somewhat looking forward to this, then I read about the mid-credits scene and suddenly all desire to see it just drained out of me like diarrhoea. Someone please wake me when Infinity War 2: European Gigolo comes out next year and the nightmare finally ends.
Just pretend it doesn't happen and leave before the credits. Or don't. That's fine too. Really.

I saw it and I can't really tell people to spend their money on this film when so much other good shit is out there. It's... it's okay? I feel like I went to McDonalds and got a cheeseburger, and ate it real quick. Shit, I'm not hungry anymore, but I barely remember what it tasted like, and God, Janet, you gave me fucking pickles and those really pissed me off until I threw them away an hour in.

I enjoyed it, even if the first bit was rocky because Hope and Hank were so absurdly unlikable and abrasive. It was worth my money, but I wish I saw something else like Hereditary.

This entire movie is this

It's completelt filler. And just a way to deal with antman for the next film.

It was a really fun movie and I enjoyed myself, though it is one of those movies that are probably better watching at home with your family than going to the theater for it.

As I expected, it is essentially a breather after Infinity War. The conflict is of incredibly low scale and is more personal. There is a secondary antagonist that tries to raise the stakes by having plans to sell Pym tech to unsavory types, but he is never really a threat. Rather, as befit a summer family movie instead of a blockbuster, the story is centered around family, which is something I always liked Ant Man for, him being one of the only MCU hero who is a parent* and his movies never forgetting that.

At the end of the day, it was just a fun rope.

I liked it, so no Infinity Salt for me :V

I imagine the temporal vortex Janet briefly mentions is foreshadowing

* Hawkeye is, but most people forgets, and I guess Rocket Racoon and the entire Guardians are as well, sorta.

Just pretend it doesn't happen and leave before the credits. Or don't. That's fine too. Really.

I saw it and I can't really tell people to spend their money on this film when so much other good shit is out there. It's... it's okay? I feel like I went to McDonalds and got a cheeseburger, and ate it real quick. Shit, I'm not hungry anymore, but I barely remember what it tasted like, and God, Janet, you gave me fucking pickles and those really pissed me off until I threw them away an hour in.

I enjoyed it, even if the first bit was rocky because Hope and Hank were so absurdly unlikable and abrasive. It was worth my money, but I wish I saw something else like Hereditary.
Well they sort of had a reason, Civil War and hand having to run from the law probably wasn't any fun. I think this movie is better than Black Panther, simply because the leads have more of a character than Black Panther, but it can't really match up to Infinity War

I haven't seen this film yet, but I don't think anyone whose seen Black Panther can say that T'Challa was either the driving force or its most memorable part. And I'm the biggest Black Panther fan there is on the website. He was much more memorable in Civil War than his own film.

I didn't like Black Panther, it was really bland.
The unpopular opinions thread is that way.
I haven't seen this film yet, but I don't think anyone whose seen Black Panther can say that T'Challa was either the driving force or its most memorable part. And I'm the biggest Black Panther fan there is on the website. He was much more memorable in Civil War than his own film.
It's one thing to say T'Challa had less of a character arc in BP than in CW (though I would disagree and rather think it's because most of the cast shined so much), it's quite another entirely to say that the movie itself was bland or that Ant Man & The Wasp was better simply because of its leads.

There's having different opinions based on reasonable arguments, and there's simply being wrong :V

The unpopular opinions thread is that way.

It's one thing to say T'Challa had less of a character arc in BP than in CW (though I would disagree and rather think it's because most of the cast shined so much), it's quite another entirely to say that the movie itself was bland or that Ant Man & The Wasp was better simply because of its leads.

There's having different opinions based on reasonable arguments, and there's simply being wrong :V
I just felt that his character is more suited to side roles than to star in his own movie, and I feel as though I'm invested more into Ant-Man as a character than I am in Black Panther. The villains motives are understandable and you feel a lot more sympathetic for them, whereas Killmongers actions are understandable, but I don't think he's a good villain because he planned to overthrow multiple governments and possibly kill innocent people because his daddy was killed.

I just felt that his character is more suited to side roles than to star in his own movie, and I feel as though I'm invested more into Ant-Man as a character than I am in Black Panther
I know people who would say the opposite of Ant-Man :V
The villains motives are understandable and you feel a lot more sympathetic for them, whereas Killmongers actions are understandable, but I don't think he's a good villain because he planned to overthrow multiple governments and possibly kill innocent people because his daddy was killed.
Both villains are understandable and sympathetic, but boiling down Killmonger's motives to "they killed my dad" is missing the point by a large mile.

Last edited:
I liked this better than the first Ant Man but it was just a slightly above average popcorn flick when you get down to it.

I now desire a movie that is "Louis, Scott's ex-wife's husband and Jimmy Woo's Amazing Weekend"

You can't prove I am wrong. It is objectively impossible.

I just got out of it and it is a fun bit of fluff and I'm okay with that. In a series with 800 films at this point having one that is about being fluff is a fine change of pace.

Well, that....was a Marvel movie.
I did appreciate the Lighter and Softer tone, and the interrogation scene was gold, but I found Hope and Hank to be really unsufferably obnoxious. Scott is strapping himself into a poorly-tested beta suit and risking his life and his family, and in the school scene, both of them are cracking jokes at his expense the entire time. It felt mean-spirited, as if both of them knew that if they needed to cut and run they could, because Scott getting definitively outed as involved with them didn't matter to them.

And Wasp's line from the trailer about what she would have done if Scott had asked her to come with him to fight for Cap ended up coming out even worse in the final cut. Wasp at the same time managed to avoid commiting to a position, and made a statement of amazingly untrammeled arrogance with the assumption that of course she'd have stopped Scott from being arrested if she was there. She seems to be claiming that she would have turned the tide of the Civil War airport battle by herself, and that's just not plausible.

But I ended up liking Ghost more than I thought I would, and Goliath-scientist guy was a great earnest moral center to counterpoint Scott himself. So, not bad (when rounding up) is my verdict.

Well, the poster art doesn't show her 'de-aged' or anything. She's been trapped, presumably alone, in the Quantum Realm for 30 years. How SANE do you think she is?

But, then again it's probably going to be moot as
The end credit scene is likely going to have Hope, Cassie and Janet all be victims of 'The Snap'. Hank probably survives, and will turn out to be crucial in providing the temporal stabilization tech the good guys use in Avengers: Endgame.
No doubt nomming on Quantum Grubs can get real old after a while.

Well, that....was a Marvel movie.
I did appreciate the Lighter and Softer tone, and the interrogation scene was gold, but I found Hope and Hank to be really unsufferably obnoxious. Scott is strapping himself into a poorly-tested beta suit and risking his life and his family, and in the school scene, both of them are cracking jokes at his expense the entire time. It felt mean-spirited, as if both of them knew that if they needed to cut and run they could, because Scott getting definitively outed as involved with them didn't matter to them.

And Wasp's line from the trailer about what she would have done if Scott had asked her to come with him to fight for Cap ended up coming out even worse in the final cut. Wasp at the same time managed to avoid commiting to a position, and made a statement of amazingly untrammeled arrogance with the assumption that of course she'd have stopped Scott from being arrested if she was there. She seems to be claiming that she would have turned the tide of the Civil War airport battle by herself, and that's just not plausible.

But I ended up liking Ghost more than I thought I would, and Goliath-scientist guy was a great earnest moral center to counterpoint Scott himself. So, not bad (when rounding up) is my verdict.

Did you miss the part where they are on the run because of Scott? Living out of a suitcase bag/building for two years. They have a right to be apprehensive. Particularly Hope, who was involved with Scott ... and then he runs off on her to get arrested, exposing their tech and making them criminals, impacting saving her mother.

And the jokes really don't come off as mean spirited to me at all. More like banter. Like all the Marvel movies. Rather tame ones really.

It is also basic relationship drama. I actually commend the Antman movies for avoiding really cheap stuff like the step dad being a prick, Scott trying to get back together with his ex wife, etc.

And stopping Scott getting arrested ≠ winning the airport battle. It could have been just shrinking him and flying him out of the airport while they are all distracted with Cap flying out and Visions friendly fire incident. Team Cap already effectively won the airport battle, since their goal wasn't crushing the Accord Avengers. It was getting Cap and Bucky to Russia.

Last edited:
Well, they at least bothered to sort of explain how Janet managed to stay alive and sane after 30 years of being trapped alone in the Quantum Realm.
Namely she's not human anymore. Although that bit where Scott says "Are you just putting 'quantum' in front of everything?" tells us that he's likely to get rescued during the end credit scene of Captain Marvel. (Spoilers have said that MCU Captain Marvel has the Quantum Bands/Nega Bands)

Yes, I consider it a bit of a filler movie much like Thor: Ragnarok and Black Panther. At least it didn't have the GLARING continuity issue that BP did.

Black Panther opens in 1992, just after Ulysses Klaw has managed to steal over a ton of raw vibranium. Now, here's the deal, in Avengers: Age of Ultron, Klaw is a reasonably well known black market arms dealer... who has the Wakandan glyph for 'thief' branded on his neck.

This is a guy, who over twenty years ago stole a lot of the most valuable substance on Earth from the most technologically advanced nation on the planet. Said theft is the greatest shame Wakanda has ever suffered.
They've even gotten close enough to BRAND the one responsible.

AND HE'S STILL ALIVE.

It's not like he's hiding in a cellar or a cave or something, he's actively doing business! Seriously, T'Challa... WTF?

To me, Ragnarok was a Devil's Food Donut (Oakhurst, NJ... something Jersey and Ari from BelBat know about)

Black Panther was the plain glazed one from yesterday's Dunkin' Donuts box...

Both filler, but one much more satisfying.

In the posts above, one opinion I consider a really bad take, and another I broadly agree with but then decided to diss IW because it can't help itself :V

So let's apply the golden mean fallacy and join in the middle: BP and Ragnarok really aren't fillers unless one uses a radically different definition than everyone else and makes it so "fillers" in the MCU consist of all movies other than the Avengers movies. Not only is one movie a first solo movie for a hero, both of them upend the status quo for the MCU universe, have high stakes, and pretty well executed and interesting themes.

Back