Ansatsu Kyoushitsu (Assassanation Classroom)

I should note that when I said that whole thing I didn't mean for it to be anymore then just a random tangent/observation. This show does really weird things to my suspension of disbelief where it only seems to trigger if I think Koro-Sensei is doing something that goes against his students interests.

Chapter 129 has just been translated and posted. Questions have been answered, and just as many new ones must be asked. This is... quite the conundrum.

Anyone else find the whole gag with the girls trying to peek on the guys in episode 08 amusing? You don't see that in anime much...
I also find the hint that Koro-Sensei once had only two hands and feet intriguing - could he have been human once?

That seems VEEEEERY likely. They're hinting pretty heavily that they've got ways to heavily augment people and push them up to maybe almost Koro-Sensei tier on a good day. Wouldn't be surprised if he was the product of that going to far/malfunctioning in the best/worst way as prototypes so often do in fiction.

Also loved the peeping gag and that Koro-Sensei manages to impose vast wisdom on the sniper over the course of a single meal.

I only recently started reading the manga (during the 1 week skip in the anime schedule - I needed my fix) so it's interesting to watch now that I've seen the Manga. They've really captured the art style and Takaoka was nailed in that episode. Couple of minor gripes (Nagisa's voiceover of the assassination probably wasn't necessary while the Chairman's motive was better explained by Karasuma in the manga) but a good episode.

And the deadpan reply to Irina's question... neatly done. She may be formally one of the teaching staff but in the 'society' of Class 3-E she's almost as much one of the students (not unreasonable since she's closest to them in age and probably missed a lot of normal education and socialization from around their age onwards).

It's fun watching how the characters develop and I'm looking forward to seeing how they adapt some of the upcoming arcs.

@drakensis
Same here. Here's hoping we'll get the entire story thus far adapted in the remaining airtime, or a second season if not. I also want to see the reason behind Nagisa's girlish appearance.

And possibly what he looks like in drag.

I'm guessing this season will finish with either the end of term exams or the Island arc. The latter would probably make most sense as a season ender - it's pretty climatic (albeit only halfway to Koro-sensei's deadline) and the anime's covered about half the manga issues between the start and that point in the manga, so lengthwise it seems possible.

Well I doubt it's going to end after finals given we're at them already. Shame about a couple of the character-focused stories being dropped but the island arc has plenty of material to work with.

Maehara had an story before mid-terms where his girlfriend dumps him because of peer pressure over dating someone in 3-E and the class team up help him to take revenge on her and one of said peers. (Chapter 23)

Kataoka had a story between the introduction of the swimming pond and the assassination attempt there where she's being emotionally blackmailed by another girl. (Chapter 44)

Finally got caught up on the manga.

Holy fuck. I mean, I'm was far enough behind to have had some spoilers but damn, that's really really well executed. Much much more payoff than I expected and great characterization.

Rio and Karma trolling Nagisa is very funny too.

So that's what happened to the Moon.

Interesting. It does make Korosensei seem... less ambiguous. It was definitely the right call not to reveal this earlier. I'm not disappointed by any of the unveils so far but they needed to be kept for points near the endgame to pay off like this.

There's going to be a second season of the anime it seems - I hope they don't rush that because I think they'd want to use the God of Death arc to end that before getting into what we're seeing now in the manga for a third season.

So that's what happened to the Moon.
You mean Koro-Sensai didn't blow it up as a test-run of his powers? Because that's my theory, going by the anime-only knowledge I possess of this media.

There's going to be a second season of the anime it seems - I hope they don't rush that because I think they'd want to use the God of Death arc to end that before getting into what we're seeing now in the manga for a third season.
This news pleases me. Must be doing pretty well to get green-lit, too, which is always nice to hear. That arc title sounds neat :D

You mean Koro-Sensai didn't blow it up as a test-run of his powers? Because that's my theory, going by the anime-only knowledge I possess of this media.
It's a really huge spoiler
No, he did not. It seems he hasn't even been to the Moon. However he has antimatter inside him, as part of an experiment to contain it biologically. The experiment went badly wrong and the first test subject, on the Moon, blew up. Korosensei, based on this, is predicted to do the same whether he wants to or not, around the end of the school year unless he's killed first. And having been an involuntary test subject, he's not going to let anyone kill him.

Looking back, I think there may have been some very careful phrasing in the first issue that translators didn't pick up on at the time.

This news pleases me. Must be doing pretty well to get green-lit, too, which is always nice to hear. That arc title sounds neat :D
Let me put it this way. We're heading into the Island arc. That's quite a bit darker in tone than the recent episodes. The God of Death arc is even darker. (There are plenty of lighter tone arcs as well, I hasten to add).

Hmm. Actually, given we're heading into the 70s for issues, I suppose it's possible that a second season could wrap the storyline up.

In terms of story time, from start of the show to end of the current arc is about half as long as from end of the current anime arc to what seems to be the final arc of the manga (unless I'm badly misreading it, which is possible). But in terms of story events there's so much less set-up to do...

The current episodes are based on Volume 7 and and probably be part way through Volume 9 of the manga by the end of this season. And the manga is currently volume 16 (or 15 if 15 runs very very long)

I'll spoiler this since I may give things away.
First Episode sets up the premise again, likely built around the Summer Festival. (1)
Takebayashi mini-arc is likely to take an episode (2)
Then Kayano's pudding assassination mixed with setting up the parkour training (3)
The Robber events would be an episode or two, plus another for Itona's aftermath. (4-6)
There's the athletic festival which would take an episode (7)
The accident before Mid-Terms (8)
Three, maybe four episodes for God of Death? (9-12)
An episode for career advice and the Nagisa's mother (13)
An episode for the School Festival (14)
A two episode arc for the Final Exams (15-16)
Then the Asano-Kurosensei battle (17)
The school play and other minor issues (18)
And then THAT assassin. You know the one. (19)
The current flashback arc (20)
Which potentially leaves room for a 2 episode finale. (21-22)

So I think I was wrong a while back. I think another season of Assassination Classroom could wrap this up. They might vary from the 22-episode structure of course, but I think we could be closing this season half way through the anime version.

Given what's been pulled out recently, my last post was clearly very way off mark - looks like there's room for quite a bit more material.

And while on that subject, dammit, this week's issue did it again. Yūsei Matsui is just brilliant about pulling setting up things subtly so they're not asspulls but at the same time, until the reveal no one notices. Which for a manga about assassination is highly appropriate.

I don't want to spoil it, but when there's the 'map' of the area the class are fighting in, one marker doesn't seem necessary until the last couple of pages.

(And damn, the girls are kickass in this arc. Kanzaki, Hara, Hayami, Nakamura...)

I wonder if we'll get a second season of the anime, if the manga/LN is still going strong for new material? I quite liked the series, and wouldn't mind an animated telling of the ending.

The second season was confirmed in April - probably means it won't be ready until January at the earliest - along with a sequel to the live action movie.

Back