Great chapter as always, I liked how you paralleled the Trump moment with the fascists in this Bet's Brockton Bay. The atmosphere was terrific, your BB is as run down and horrible as it can get without war or the S9.

To tell the whole thing from the POV of a somewhat reluctant fascist supporter was also a good idea, it shows how those people may be unreflected asshats, but are also human beings who have reasons for their actions which in turn result from the economic and ideological crisis.

Some typos:

and let through a tsunami of blood and filthy and crime!

We will not let take our jobs!

Because someone had opened him up and gutted like a fish.

Under her white flash, every intimate part of the exposed chest cavity of the corpse was exposed.

Thanks for all your good work over the years!

Last edited:
That was fantastically executed, showing just where the core of Patriots get their people from, and how things function like real gangs and movements do rather than superhero logic. And Purity works so well in that context, saying the right things and probably fully believing them to. And while you have the public march, with full police support, you have the thugs going out and being thugs ... and from Max's (whatever he calls himself here it won't be Kaiser) point of view this night was a success, he lost some people that weren't even really part of the movement and made 'being Asian in the Bay' more uncomfortable.

And then we get our first real look at the memetic virus that is the S9 ... and they are so much more creepy than the canon version. But then so is everything in this story, in part because it comes across as so much more real ... oddly even the blatently supernatural stuff, probably because the reactions to it are very real.

That was a lot of worldbuilding in a short time, and it wasn't boring.

I approve.

The Slaughterhouse has recurring archetypes. Because of course it does. #57, a blonde child who harvests organs: The Bonesaw. #38, who gives passers by $61 and a forbidden tome: ?

I wonder what face Ned will take.

Whimpering with fear, Ned cracked his an eye open. The rats were gone. The witch was still there. Staring at him, her head tilted. There was someone else with her, a larger figure in the red-lit alley. And another one – shorter, perhaps a child – with pale hair.

And then he screamed. Because he saw what the witch had been kneeling over, discarded down among the trash. It was Louie on the floor. He wasn't going to get another smoke. Not now. Not ever. Because someone had opened him up and gutted him like a fish. Everything was red and purple, with the pale of his shattered ribs spread open like some mad angel's wings.

The witch crocked her finger at him, with a come-hither gesture.

He took a step forwards.
Hello Ms Thrysus (or worm pseudo-thrysus, whatever). Decent chance that the other 2 are the 2 remaining representatives of the 5 splats, but we can't know for sure.

Her eyes widened. "Ten, twenty, forty, sixty, eighty… and a dollar coin?" she asked, eyes lighting up. "Damn. That's great for a few hours work. Come on, let's get you out of those wet clothes."
Really, guys? Really?
The Chinese-American woman squatted by the body. She reached out and touched the one intact eyeball with a gloved hand. Her shadow spasmed, flocking like dark birds for just a second. "He died from haemorrhage. By my reading, it's another organ harvesting. AB-negative blood group, rare. Possibly deliberately targeted." She paused. "I think it's her again. Number 57."

"That would match her pattern," said the older man behind her, adjusting his tinkertech glasses. His short-cropped hair was iron-grey, and paler scars criss-crossed his dark hands. "I'm seeing traces of Number 38's influence, too."
So this isn't just a new thing, but the system for dealing with "mages" certainly isn't anywhere near foolproof.

I see this chapter got even more openly political than usual for your stuff, which isn't surprising, considering. It's well-done.

I especially like the sense of empathy you have going in your works, even for people who in other stories would be portrayed as simple villains. It grounds the story in reality, gives it more depth and allows you to explore various issues from a more complex perspective than many stories display, so when you criticise something, it rings more true.

Not to mention that it's just more enjoyable to read a story where everyone is a person, no matter how flawed, not just a plot device.

Keep it up.

The Slaughterhouse has recurring archetypes. Because of course it does. #57, a blonde child who harvests organs: The Bonesaw. #38, who gives passers by $61 and a forbidden tome: ?

I wonder what face Ned will take.

With numbers so high? Probably not. More likely, numbers are just assigned to the new members in place of cape names. Since S9 virus is secret from the public, there isn't really a need to be fancy about monikers.

Plus, it's more horrifying if each new member is a unique kind of psychopath since you can't rely on old profiling and methods that once worked, it's always a new kind of madness and murder.

Welp the stupid and entitled just keep going until someone bashes their heads in.
Empire recruiting tell people who think they deserve jobs while not giving a crap about other people.
Welcome to reality Ned........less smoking pot and feeling sorry for yourself and you wouldn't be a mook.

Great chapter as always, I liked how you paralleled the Trump moment with the fascists in this Bet's Brockton Bay. The atmosphere was terrific, your BB is as run down and horrible as it can get without war or the S9.

One of the big reasons that the pace of Imago slowed down, sadly, is that the real world overtook some of my old plans for it. It now looks a little childishly naive that the me of 2014 thought you'd need a 10 year economic depression to get people into the mood to start voting for fascists.

I really liked the flags in the rain thing. It shows how cynical the whole mess really is.

That bit is actually straight out of Orange Order marches - as is the march. It's just good ol' fashioned Northern Irish sectarian aggravation imported to a US context; "Let's go march through their neighbourhood".

That was fantastically executed, showing just where the core of Patriots get their people from, and how things function like real gangs and movements do rather than superhero logic. And Purity works so well in that context, saying the right things and probably fully believing them to.

My use of Purity here is in fact born of certain discussions with @Revlid on the topic of her. There's a pronounced tendency for elements of the fanbase to excuse her relative to the other E88 characters, to say that she's "not so bad" and act as if the fact that she's genuinely racist somehow excuses things.

The thing that I've done with her here, therefore, is to cut the personal violence from her, so she's not being compared to the likes of Hookwolf which lets the readership go "Oh, she's not a psychotic cage-fighting brute, just a regular racist". Now she gets to stand among the illustrious company of local demagogues and "concerned citizens" busy bubbling stirring the pot as she pours oil on the fire.

I see this chapter got even more openly political than usual for your stuff, which isn't surprising, considering. It's well-done.

I especially like the sense of empathy you have going in your works, even for people who in other stories would be portrayed as simple villains. It grounds the story in reality, gives it more depth and allows you to explore various issues from a more complex perspective than many stories display, so when you criticise something, it rings more true.

Not to mention that it's just more enjoyable to read a story where everyone is a person, no matter how flawed, not just a plot device.

Keep it up.

As I have said before, the superhero genre is always intensely political - especially when it doesn't think it's being political. Who you declare as your supervillains is a political statement; every time you decide that the status quo is what the heroes fight for is a political statement; every time you depict vigilantes as the good guys is a political statement.

And hey, left-wing superhero things written by angry British guys with interest in esoteric things is basically a genre in its own right.

With numbers so high? Probably not. More likely, numbers are just assigned to the new members in place of cape names. Since S9 virus is secret from the public, there isn't really a need to be fancy about monikers.

Names are important - both in superhero stuff and also in other genres.

Denying a name to someone is, therefore, quite a notable symbolic act.

One of the big reasons that the pace of Imago slowed down, sadly, is that the real world overtook some of my old plans for it. It now looks a little childishly naive that the me of 2014 thought you'd need a 10 year economic depression to get people into the mood to start voting for fascists.

Worm starting in 2017 would be a very different proposition to Worm starting in 2011. But the materials are already there: actual neonazis with real power in the city, white people in power regarding them as horrible assholes but not personally an existential threat so tolerating them more than they would otherwise (treating racism as a character flaw rather than a threat) ... the main character being the daughter of a union organiser father and radical feminist mother whose memory she worships, prime social justice upbringing ... there's a rich seam in what's already canon for fic writers to mine here. HorizonTheTransient on SB scratches the surface of it, but has barely really started.

Last edited:
Hmmm, so this was very interesting; the scenes with the 'witch' at the end there reminded me of something right out of Bloodborne or Dreams At The Witch House and the rally scenes were masterful in how they presented the rising emboldenment of the protesters - I loved the treatment of Purity and how you referred to America's hatred of lawyers with 'the New Wave lawyer lady'.

It was interesting to see the world of Imago from a more mundane perspective - from the man of the street so to say.

Does you good to get out of Taylor's head once in a while, clearly.
It was certainly... interesting to do so; seeing Panopticon (haha i bet you think you're real funny with that name you terrible person) from the perspective of an ordinary person was a fascinating take that I'm still working on digesting.

Which reminds me I should get to checking for hidden things and invisitext.

It was certainly... interesting to do so; seeing Panopticon (haha i bet you think you're real funny with that name you terrible person) from the perspective of an ordinary person was a fascinating take that I'm still working on digesting.

Which reminds me I should get to checking for hidden things and invisitext.

Don't worry. I don't use invisitext.

Partly because it doesn't transfer to ff.net or AO3.

Mostly because invistext makes it too easy to tell that I'm trying to hide something. Hiding in plain sight is much harder to notice. :V

You might have referenced it earlier, but this update shows there has been a serious amount of deflation.

Not intentionally, no. What it's intended to show is that the unemployment benefits from the state aren't enough to live on without cohabiting with someone else who's employed, and that because of the economic circumstances, far right groups can hire people for less than minimum wage if they throw in meal vouchers - and the people are grateful to them for that.

Not intentionally, no. What it's intended to show is that the unemployment benefits from the state aren't enough to live on without cohabiting with someone else who's employed, and that because of the economic circumstances, far right groups can hire people for less than minimum wage if they throw in meal vouchers - and the people are grateful to them for that.
Ah, well. Even if it wasn't your intent, if they can live on that income, not be homeless and eating in soup kitchens, and be impressed by eighty-one bucks.... they aren't just poor. Things cost less too.

I've forgotten most of my economics, but depression+deflationary spiral is supposed to be some extra bad juju.

Last edited:
Ah, well. Even if it wasn't your intent, if they can live on that income, not be homeless and eating in soup kitchens, and be impressed by eighty-one bucks.... they aren't just poor. Things cost less too.

I've forgotten most of my economics, but depression+deflationary spiral is supposed to be some extra bad juju.

Oh, indeed, there's been a Lost Over A Decade since the Endbringers brought the so-called Belle Epoque of the 80s to an end through a sustained wrecking of shit.

So, yeah, you're going to be seeing deflation over that period. Plus, making matters worse the economic issues are clumped - so at at the same time as Brockton Bay and cities like it are depressed wrecks, Detroit is booming and the governments are terrified of inflation wrecking the bits of the economy that are still functional.

One of the big reasons that the pace of Imago slowed down, sadly, is that the real world overtook some of my old plans for it.
The other, more direct contributor being that the previous proofreader started treating new chapters like the fucking Babadook.

Glad to see the story's alive and well, anyway.

tl;dr summary:

Oh, indeed, there's been a Lost Over A Decade since the Endbringers brought the so-called Belle Epoque of the 80s to an end through a sustained wrecking of shit.

So, yeah, you're going to be seeing deflation over that period. Plus, making matters worse the economic issues are clumped - so at at the same time as Brockton Bay and cities like it are depressed wrecks, Detroit is booming and the governments are terrified of inflation wrecking the bits of the economy that are still functional.
What's the logic there about Detroit in particular flourishing?

The possibilities that I can think of are: -Reduced international competition allowing the local automakers an easier time.
-A relative lack of destitute refugees dragging down the labor prices.

Anything I'm wrong about or missing here?

What's the logic there about Detroit in particular flourishing?

The possibilities that I can think of are: -Reduced international competition allowing the local automakers an easier time.
-A relative lack of destitute refugees dragging down the labor prices.

Anything I'm wrong about or missing here?

A few reasons:

1. The crash in international trade caused by the Leviathan and no Chinese economic miracle means that there's been far less outsourcing of industrial jobs than IRL. This means that, despite how the economy as a whole is much worse off, specific sectors are doing better.
2. A sign of how things are different from IRL - it reminds readers that it's not our world whenever it comes up and hints at a bigger picture that isn't just the slow decay of Brockton bay.
3. An indication of how consortiums of parahumans can radically alter the local economic and political landscape - this isn't canon Worm where superheroes are apparently content to punch each other in the streets (as if that's the only kind of conflict that matters).
4. I really, really wanted cyberpunk Motown R&B and jazz places in a Detroit run by megacorps. Which is possibly the biggest reason.

Back