An Exploration of the Mortal Realms: An Age of Sigmar Thread

Emberstone, the Aqshian Realmstone, also makes people bloodthirsty and angry. Amberbone makes people wild. Lots of the more overt Winds make people feel a certain way. Part of why they're known as Cursestone.

Ulgu's Falsestone is pretty interesting in that it doesn't want to be found. It's impossible to find if you don't have Windsight, and it creates hallucinations and illusions on those around it. It's also thick and viscous, kind of like spider webs.
My favorite note of gravesand was how for a skeleton it was so heavy that they could only hold a single grain of it, and the sheer weight of the collected grave sand and their march just dug entire trenches through mountains and deserts for Aeons just because Nagash Said So.

My favorite note of gravesand was how for a skeleton it was so heavy that they could only hold a single grain of it, and the sheer weight of the collected grave sand and their march just dug entire trenches through mountains and deserts for Aeons just because Nagash Said So.
I read like 5 different descriptions of that particular lore tidbit, and most of what it said was that even Skeletons would turn to dust if they tried to carry more than one grain of Grave Sand, and that they would carry the sand back to Nagashizzar like ants carrying sugar back to their hive (literally, they use that description every time. Someone was obsessed with ants).

I wouldn't doubt some source out there says that though.

I read like 5 different descriptions of that particular lore tidbit, and most of what it said was that even Skeletons would turn to dust if they tried to carry more than one grain of Grave Sand, and that they would carry the sand back to Nagashizzar like ants carrying sugar back to their hive (literally, they use that description every time. Someone was obsessed with ants).

I wouldn't doubt some source out there says that though.
Soul Wars did it. Also says Corpuscent and Azure a lot.

Hey Codex, could you explain what Belakor's Cursed Skies are? They apparently stop Stormcast from returning to Azyr to be reforged, but they have a way to get around it now?

Hey Codex, could you explain what Belakor's Cursed Skies are? They apparently stop Stormcast from returning to Azyr to be reforged, but they have a way to get around it now?
Happens in Broken Realms Be'lakor. Gist of it and the summary of a long story is that the Seraphon blew up one of the nine Gaunt Summoner's (specifically the Eater of Tomes) Silver Tower. The Silver Towers are extra dimensional spaces connected to several Realmgates through dimensional shenanigans, and they're a huge threat to the geomantic leylines that the Seraphon refer to as the Astromatrix. So the Seraphon spent a ridiculous amount of resources to destroy one of them. They first launched an assault on the Tower in the Eightpoints, forces the Eater of Tomes to launch his Tower into space (the Aetheric Void). Unfortunately for Eater, Lord Kroak and his fleet of Temple Starships were waiting for him, having predicted it, and they launched a salvo of space laser action and boarded his tower and he was forced to crash land in the Rusted Wastes in the Spiral Crux of Chamon.

The Thunder Lizards charged straight into the crash landed Tower as the Eater attempted to fix the Tower, but the Seraphon managed to kill him and destroy the tower at great cost. One of those costs was an absolutely gigantic explosion that cratered the Rusted Wastes miles around and wiped out a whole Free City of several tens of thousands of people. Also another effect was that due to the Tower's connection to the Realmgates, several of those Realmgates blew up and a dimensional fluctuation began to occur. Be'lakor planned for this in that he purposefully arranged things so the Seraphon would be successful, and with the assistance of Lady Olynder who he threatened with eternal death by breaching her sacrophagus, he crafted a devious campaign where he took down Realmgate after Realmgate and harnessed the energies to create his own brand of curse, which would trap the souls of Stormcast and prevent them from arriving in Azyr and thereby allowing him to torture their soul stuff for eternity. Be'lakor wiped out the Sigmarite Brotherhood doing this.

There's more to it, but I'm abstracting an entire book's worth of content. The reason the Stormcast have managed to solve this issue is that Grungni's back, and he's forged the new Thunderstrike armor, which makes the Stormcast's death much more explosive. It forms their new Battle trait that makes them explode when they die, and also ensures they go back to Azyr much more smoothly than before.

Grungni's the Great Maker. Give him time and he'll find a solution.

EDIT: Forgot to say this, but to those who don't know, Gaunt Summoners are nine very powerful Daemonic and formerly mortal Sorcerors of Tzeentch each with their own interdimensional Silver Tower and absurd number of Daemonic pacts and powers from their long service to Tzeentch. They are all bound to Archaon thanks to the fact that he knows their True Names. They're a pretty big deal.

Last edited:
Read the Arkanauts Oath, pretty good, would recommend.

Intresting look at Kharadron Overlords from a different angle, i.e. the societal oddity.

Also quite a few 40K references, including a Not-Eye of Terror and a golden machine, with an ancient man stuck inside, holding back Chaos.

Is anything happening Lore wise in AoS right now? Kragnos happened, and I know they're releasing Gargants and Underworld stuff, but I don't think there's been anything major going on

Is anything happening Lore wise in AoS right now? Kragnos happened, and I know they're releasing Gargants and Underworld stuff, but I don't think there's been anything major going on
The Gnarlwood in Ghur, a living forest of meat trees, is the narrative centerpiece of both the latest Warcry and Underworld seasons. A Seraphon spaceship crashed there and it caused all sorts of people to flock to it.

In terms of events, the last thing to happen was Season of War Thondia, where the Krondspine mountain range have birth to its very own incarnate and it followed up on the introductory story arc of 3rd Edition: Dominion. It essentially involves a Stormcast Chamber and Kruleboyz fighting each other during the Dawnbringer Crusades with Yndrasta the Celestial Spear, Sigmars hand crafted Huntress, supports the Stormcast.

The story is in Ghur right now. The latest battlepack/Generals Handbook is taking place in Gallet, a continent connected to Thondia just to the west. Its a place full of cramped and dark tunnels full of terrifying creatures and where all the fights are currently being held. In White Dwarf there is an ongoing campaign involving the Shaman of the Ironjawz Choppaz Clan leading a large force across Rondhol and Lendu which is eventually going to end up at Everquake City, a newly established Free City in southern Lendu during the Dawnbringer Crusades. This Campaign is known as the "Great Stomp".

Aside from that, there are a bunch of plot points and threads being seeded with each book as each army updates their status to match the current edition. Im sure it will eventually culminate in an event because thats what they usually do.

Some plot points include, but are not limited to: Krondys and Karazai and their feud with Kragnoa. Morathi Khaines Snake part of her becoming enraged at losing to Kragnos during Broken Realms and departing to find him. Gordrakk capturing Fangathrak the Godbeast which holds the Arcway leading to the All-Points in its mouth, preparing to attack Archaon. Gobsprakk leading Kragnos in his rampage across Ghur and building a Great Waaagh. Olynder and Be'lakor's remnants of an alliance. Kharadron Overlords and Fyreslayers cooperating with each other after one guy reveals what Ur-Gold is to the other Duardin (formerly a secret), and instead of being greedy the other Duardin aggreed to form a Duardin coalition to collect Ur-Gold. Grungni's return causing all sorts of complicated feelings and ripples across Duardin society. Grungni forging Thunderstrike Armor to boost the Stormcast's ability to go home. The permanent death of an entire Stormhost causing unease in the civilian populace. And of course, the creation of the Dawnbringer Crusades and the relentless expansion of the Free Cities.

Some of this is fodder for novels exploring this or that. Some is for helping you establish your own narrative or to help create Campaigns. Some might be repurposed into later releases.

That is a fantastic lineup. I suppose last year's model drought is being propped up by the Seraphon and Gloomspite line refresh. Hope the Beastmen get a similar treatment.

Also, beyond just these models, Warcry has a new Skink warband for Chameleons with baby raptors:
Side note: you may want to put those images under spoilers. Images tend to make scrolling a nightmare, especially on mobile.
*squints*

….Do they normally hop out of the pond looking centuries old?
The Slaan in AoS are the same ones who survived End Times by leaving on spaceships. We don't really know what baby Slaan look like, but Lizardmen reproduction seems to create fully functional adults straight out of the birthing pools.

If those are the same Slann as in Fantasy like Codex is saying, then they don't hop out of pools at all.

Every single Slann was made by the Old Ones- when they left the world, no more Slann could ever be made.
The sole exception is Kroak, who willed himself back into existence after dying. Not sure if that counts as "being made", since he doesn't exactly go around reviving other Slaan. When a Slaan dies it's a tragedy, because it also means the loss of an entire army's worth of Seraphon. Starborne Seraphon are essentially the materialised magic of the Slaan who create "remembrances" of Seraphon that used to exist.

Coalesced are different in that they fused with the Realmspheres to create a stable body, at the cost of being able to die again. It also means they have greater control over the Astromatrix, the Seraphon name for the leylines of the Mortal Realms.

Yes, there is no escaping the Waystones. Not even in Age of Sigmar.

The sole exception is Kroak, who willed himself back into existence after dying. Not sure if that counts as "being made", since he doesn't exactly go around reviving other Slaan. When a Slaan dies it's a tragedy, because it also means the loss of an entire army's worth of Seraphon. Starborne Seraphon are essentially the materialised magic of the Slaan who create "remembrances" of Seraphon that used to exist.

Coalesced are different in that they fused with the Realmspheres to create a stable body, at the cost of being able to die again. It also means they have greater control over the Astromatrix, the Seraphon name for the leylines of the Mortal Realms.

Yes, there is no escaping the Waystones. Not even in Age of Sigmar.
I've been told that they've sorta moved away from the Starborne are pure conjured memories of the Slann angle for a more "Starborne are also flesh and blood creatures spawned in spawning chambers, but so soaked in Azyr magic energies that they're essentially existing on a different wavelength than other mortals, having a harder time physically manipulating the world and thus need a Slann to basically anchor them to a more physical form". I guess we'll see if they have anything about it in their upcoming battletome.

Edit: Not meaning to imply I know what is actually correct in regards to their existence, it's just what I've been told in discussions based on some lexicanum text/the seraphon supplement for soulbound.

Last edited:
I've been told that they've sorta moved away from the Starborne are pure conjured memories of the Slann angle for a more "Starborne are also flesh and blood creatures spawned in spawning chambers, but so soaked in Azyr magic energies that they're essentially existing on a different wavelength than other mortals, having a harder time physically manipulating the world and thus need a Slann to basically anchor them to a more physical form". I guess we'll see if they have anything about it in their upcoming battletome.

Edit: Not meaning to imply I know what is actually correct in regards to their existence, it's just what I've been told in discussions based on some lexicanum text/the seraphon supplement for soulbound.
Hey I wouldn't know. I only read their 2015 Battletome and then proceeded to register their presence in every big supplement out there, from the Realmgate Wars to Broken Realms. I don't remember starships existing in 2015 Seraphon, but they're a big thing in Broken Realms, so I assume the Starborne have moved to a more spaceship formula than pure star magic.

So I went and checked the wording for the 2nd Edition rules because Wahapedia is a godsend. Here's the flavor text:

"The slann leaders of the Starborne can call forth armies of Seraphon from their temple-ships in the blink of an eye."

"Slann temple-ships are able to transport themselves and Starborne warriors any distance in an instant."

"The Starborne of different constellations exhibit traits unique to the warriors of their fleet."

It seems they retconned it so Constellations are starship fleets, and celestial summoning is actually calling them down from their spaceships.

I will note, however, that there is a Coalesced Skink Chief in Broken Realms who dies on the line of duty, and a Starborne Slann recognises the honor and nobility of the Skink and decides to summon him as a Starborne, which happens instantly. They play fast and loose with the rules.

Playing fast and loose with the rules seems like a pretty common GW thing to do, I'd imagine it's a lot easier to just check with writers for broad strokes lore deviances rather than keeping all details straight. I honestly thought the summoning the memories of dead warriors actually sounded pretty awesome, so that Broken Realms moment seems real neat to me.

The new Seraphon are all looking rad, halfway inspired to get into them now
Seraphon is one of those armies that is super cool in concept, but when you get to the models it's a total turnoff. Space Lizards riding Dinosaurs using ancient technomagic lasers is the coolest shit, then you come face to face with the reality that most of the line is several decades old and ugly as hell.

The army's saving grace is that they were consistently competetive for a veeeery long time, which is an incredible feat considering AoS' constantly shifting meta. The sheer diversity and versatility of the Seraphon roster with its comparatively cheap yet powerful tools makes it a formidable force regardless of the current season. The biggest block to their power is their high skill ceiling. I know a player who's won something like 40 games straight, most being Grand Tournaments, using a Thunder Lizard Dino list.

I'm looking forward to the update not just because of amazing new lineup, but I also want to see the rules coming in line with the new range. Hopefully further refined from the oppressive force they currently sit on.

Back