Ya know nother setting that has Magic Music?

Tales of the Abyss- Hymns that makes the spirits do things. Its also very 'advanced techmagic esque. With scientific explanations for all spells and stuff

ALSO Drakengard 3....which might not be a good place to hang around since Zero is gonna kill anyone with Magic Music for spoilerific reasons

Anyway for some reason Idol~Revyateil is so funny

Part 19
Part 19

A/N: Too much WAFF?

"Good morning, Hana."

Sono poked her head into the guest-room door, finding Hana still busy getting dressed. A large selection of clothes — skirts, pants, shorts, shirts, blouses, dresses, and so on — were laid out on the bed. The purple-haired teenager seemed to be struggling to decide what she wanted to pick. At some point she took a pair of knee-length black shorts and a thigh-length red skirt.

"Morning, Sono," she greeted.

"Say, how about we watch a movie before you go?" Sono asked.

Hana paused while putting on her shorts, looking at Sono with surprise. She visibly thought about it for a moment. Then she seemed to realize that she was standing there in her underwear, her shorts halfway up her legs and looking equal parts cute and ridiculous, so she shook her head and finished putting them on before sitting down on the bed next to the rest of her clothes.

"I don't know if I can. I have rehearsal today," Hana said, while going over her new shirts. She had, admittedly, given her a lot of different shirts. Not quite everything she couldn't wear anymore, but… a lot.

"Isn't your rehearsal in the afternoon? And it's a really short shuttle ride from here to the opera house."

"I was going to practice on my own first— " she suddenly found Sono's finger over her mouth. The heiress had walked across the room while Hana was choosing a shirt.

"Hana, you're the best singer I've ever heard," Sono said while smiling brightly. "I know you want to do a good job and make everyone happy, but you don't need to practice that much."

"But Mr. Lark said that even the best singers in the galaxy practice all the time. That I need to practice at least that hard if I want to be big in this business!"

"He was exaggerating to put some pressure on you so you don't get lazy. You're more than talented and dedicated enough. Even those people take a few days to relax sometimes."

Hana looked unconvinced and very worried… but relaxed once given a quick hug from Sono. She agreed to stay a little while longer. Sono felt relief for a moment.

After breakfast, as Hana walked with her to the home theater, she kept wondering if this was really necessary. Did she really need to know everything about Hana? The girl was such a nice, earnest and well-meaning person. She'd never heard her wish any ill will on anyone. There wasn't any reason to suspect that Hana intended to do anything but be a performer and make people happy.

'But that's not why. It's not about what Hana wants or what her intentions are… It's about what she needs. What will keep her safe.'

She wanted to be Hana's friend. She believed she was Hana's friend. That meant she needed to look out for her. If there was anything… She needed to be sure. Just make sure Hana's condition wasn't dangerous to her, and then… Then they could just forget about it and move on. No reason to force the girl to be open about the way she was if there was no pressing danger from it.

Hidden in Sono's palm was a Tool in its compact storage mode, small enough to hide completely in a hand. Hana's back was turned. She was right there. She'd never notice. Sono could just take one strand of hair, unfold the Tool and snip it off. She'd already gone this far—turning what was planned as just a fun night out with her friend into a chance to collect samples from her. What sense did it make to back out now? It was for Hana's own good, wasn't it?

Sono held her hand back and kept walking.

If she did this… it felt like she was saying she didn't trust her. She was going behind Hana's back, literally, when she should have been forthright and simply asked. If she found something, wouldn't they need to talk about it anyway? And how was she going to explain how she'd found out?

Well, she'd found something. She didn't know what, but something. Hana was chattering on about what they'd done last night, while Sono could only halfheartedly respond. Her worries had only grown overnight, her mind running from one wild scenario to another. Hana was a robot—no, she was a space pirate plant—no, she was a clone, of some historical genius, and she'd sicken and die in a few short years without her medication, from the space pirates or crazed aliens or government program she'd run away from. Never losing any skin or hair or even single cells had to mean something. She didn't know what, but it could easily be something bad.

So she should ask. But… what if she did, and there was nothing wrong—other than having just reminded Hana of whatever she'd been running from? What terrible things might space pirates have done to her? Thinking back, Hana had been terrified of singing for some time, hadn't she? They could have… oh dear.

Before she could talk herself out of it again, she reached out and snipped off a single strand of hair.

Hana suddenly stopped.

Sono nearly ran into the back of her, but halted herself quickly while slipping the hair into her pocket. The singer wasn't moving, just standing still with her back to Sono. She wasn't talking anymore. Hana had stopped talking the moment Sono cut the hair.

"Hana, is everything okay?" Sono asked, suddenly feeling a tightness in her throat. No, it wasn't possible.

Slowly, Hana reached up with her right hand and patted the back of her head. She did this a few times, her hand starting to tremble. Sono's heart rate began to rise. There was no way Hana could have noticed!

"Sono… w-wh… why?" Hana asked, her voice breaking.

She'd made a mistake. A terrible, awful mistake.

"Why d-did… why did y-you do that?"

Every instinct in her body screamed at her to deny, to deflect, to claim it was an accident, to flee, to do anything but stand there and confront what she'd just done. She didn't want to see the expression on Hana's face. She tried to fight them. Sono didn't want to run away. She knew she'd been caught. She knew there was no point to running now.

"I-I-I don't understand. Why?"

She wasn't quite strong enough to stop herself from taking one step backwards.

That was enough to make Hana panic.

"No! Stop!" Hana screamed, turning around and tackling Sono to the floor.

When she regained her senses, she found a trembling Hana clinging tightly as if her life depended on it.

"Please, don't. You can't." Hana said, drawing ragged breaths between syllables as she fought back tears. "You can't take that. Please."

"Hana, I…" Sono tried to speak, holding her hands up as if she wanted to embrace and comfort her friend. She held back only because she wasn't sure if she should, when she was the one who'd caused this in the first place.

"You can't take pieces of me. You can't. Please, give it back."

She wanted to say she was just trying to help, but the words felt like ash in her mouth. Hana wouldn't understand. How could anyone understand, if their best friend did something like this to them?

She reached into her pocket to get the hair back out… and realized she'd messed up.

"Uh… Hana?"

"Give it back," she repeated over and over, her face shoved into Sono's chest.

"I'm very sorry and I'm trying to do that, but… uh… I think it slipped through the fabric of my skirt."

Hana stopped trembling and slowly raised her head up to look at Sono's face. Her eyes were dry, but clearly prepared to burst into tears at any moment. Sono was surprised. She would have expected Hana to be bawling her eyes out already.

"That's… really bad." Hana cast her gaze down slightly to avoid eye contact. "Really, really bad."

"I... don't understand. I just lost strand of hair. I can't take it anymore."

"Losing it is very bad. We can't move until I find it." Her eyes flitted over the floor. "I can't see it," she said, her voice full of barely controlled panic.

Sono was getting confused. Was Hana really that paranoid about someone sequencing her DNA?

"Why can't I move?"

"Because it might still be stuck to you, and you can't take it too far from me."

Now Sono was extremely perplexed.

"Why?"

"Because it… Because…" Hana started, shoving her face back into Sono's chest before mumbling again.

"Hana? I can't hear you. Please, tell me what's wrong with the hair." Sono urged, finally getting the courage to wrap Hana up in her arms. "I'm sorry I took it. I won't do it again. I promise. Just tell me what's wrong."

The younger girl shivered in Sono's embrace for a few moments before finally pulling her face up to speak.

"Because… it would explode," she said in a tiny whisper, just loud enough to hear clearly.

Sono stared, wide-eyed, at Hana for some time. That was the most absurd thing Sono had ever heard. It sounded completely ridiculous, and some part of her mind insisted that it had to be a lie or some bizarre thing cooked up by Hana's overactive imagination in a moment of panic. The hair would explode? That was even weirder than all the crazy things she'd thought up in her fitful sleep. Sono at least had evidence that those wild ideas were possible, because the technology existed. Most people would still think she was crazy for thinking them.

"It will explode," Sono stated, not in a questioning tone.

"... Yes."

"How badly?" she asked, in disbelief that this was the next question she felt the need to ask.

Hana thought about it, face going green as her eyes flitted from Sono's chest to her face.

"If you were holding it in your hand, it would give you third-degree burns over your whole arm with less-severe ones across the front of your body and... you might lose your hand."

That was pretty bad. Sono thought about the problem for a moment.

"Right… If you're not fibbing or just imagining this somehow, then we can at least find out if it's still on me. I'll tell you what we'll do. We're going to get up, together, and walk away from this spot. If it's on the floor, the fire suppression system will take care of it."

Mother would be unhappy and ask how the carpet got set on fire, though. Hana gripped Sono tighter, apparently very reluctant to follow this course of action.

"Hana, I swear it will be fine. We have very good safety systems in this house."

"I can probably find it once we get up…"

Oh. That made things simpler. After a few more moments of gentle prodding, Hana finally allowed Sono to get up. Shivering like a leaf, Hana clung to the older girl with a vice-like grip. Sono then stood completely still while Hana looked around on the floor until she found the hair and picked it up.

Sono couldn't help but wonder if Hana had been telling the truth or just lied to protect herself, but she wanted to give her friend the benefit of doubt.

"…Hana?"

"I'm sorry," Hana whispered.

"So am I," she replied, hugging Hana tighter. "Really, really sorry."

They stood like that in silence for a few seconds longer.

"How about we go sit down?" Sono suggested, letting out a sigh as she came down from the adrenaline and stress of last few minutes. Hana nodded and they went back to Sono's room.

Hana sat on the sofa in Sono's personal recreation room, staring into a cup of tea. Sono was sitting in a chair in front of the holo projector, also holding cup. Neither of them had touched theirs since… Hana had begun to tell the truth. What she claimed was the truth.

"Robot" was one of the crazy ideas that Sono had come up with, which she'd thought ridiculous almost immediately. The realization of a fully sapient humanoid AI was still at least a decade off by the best estimate of most top minds in the field, in both the Federation and the Empire. Mother was one of the optimists who felt that a post-species AGI that could pass off as humanoid, or any other human-sized species, was on the cusp of realization. As one of the best AI developers in the galaxy, that opinion wasn't to be taken lightly. Yet Lyro Kirikeel was also confident that no one had created such an AGI yet, because she was certain it would be her that made it happen, and it would still be several years away in the best of cases.

Sapient AGI existed already, and they were used for some very impressive jobs, especially in military roles. They even had rights in the Federation, protecting them from abuse. But they were huge things, usually no smaller than a car. The best "AI" currently in-use were organic supercomputers like Aurora Units and the infamous Chozo unit Mother Brain that had been discovered and stolen by the Zebesians over a decade ago. Experts still debated hotly over whether they could rightly be defined as AI in the traditional sense.

Hana claimed to be a humanoid AGI; a fully-fledged sapient artificial intelligence in a human form of human size, but not organic. Yet she was very insistent that she was not simply a robot. She was equally insistent that she was human, but not human in the sense that this galaxy knew them, and that this wasn't a contradiction.

Not only that…

"You're two different species of AI fused into a hybrid?"

Hana nodded.

"How does that work?"

"Because apparently my mother is a four-hundred year-old genius."

The explanation got more fantastic from there. Hana told her about waking up all by herself on an uninhabited planet in the rimward regions of the Expanse, her mind filled with a mishmash of simulated memories of an imaginary human life and non-simulated knowledge of a not quite human world. She survived there for three years before finding out the planet was inhabited by Metroids, discovering a Chozo ruin with a ship, and subsequently escaping.

An eight-year-old girl, left to grow up alone on a planet infested with Metroids? Even if Hana was supposedly a superhuman AGI with powerful defenses, that had to have been terrifying. Nothing less than heavy anti-armor weapons worked on those things and no shields were known to stop them.

And then there was that 'little' detail. Hana was three years old, literally speaking. "And a half," she insisted, but then she also insisted that the count should start at eight, and not zero. She did this while still appearing sixteen, but looking as put-out as any child who'd been told that "eleven-and-a-half" did not equal "twelve".

Cid was literally using child labor. After worrying that he'd hired a maybe-fifteen-year-old, that was…

And she could never tell him. Not ever.

And her origin…

Hana herself admitted to being uncertain about a lot of the details, as she had never truly lived there, having at best a few vague impressions of her mother stroking her hair as she was being… constructed, Sono supposed, and wasn't that a thing to think about her best friend.

She tried to be as brief as possible. She came from a planet named "Ar Ciel". 700 years ago there was a war between the regions of Sol Ciel and Sol Cluster, using new technology that made the war so bad it threatened to destroy the planet. Hana emphasized that the statement "destroy the planet" was absolutely literal. There would not have been a planet there by the time they were done, had they not stopped. And this, she claimed, from a civilization that didn't have FTL.

'Sol Ciel? Sol Cluster? That sounds familiar... isn't Sol the name of the original Terran homeworld? Or am I remembering wrong... I'll look it up later.'

The nations of Sol Ciel had been constructing a giant energy transmission tower called "Ar Tonelico" and decided to use it for the war. Due to large jamming devices protecting their enemies in Sol Cluster from above-ground attack, they fired the strike through the planet itself. Originally intended to simply be a show of force without anything beyond a moderate earthquake, the shockwave was somehow amplified while passing through the planet and caused a giant plume of plasma and molten rock to erupt from the ground. This completely destroyed four countries.

It put an end to the war, but at a terrible cost. The planet's core was severely damaged in the process, ruining the environment and making life difficult everywhere. Sol Ciel and Sol Cluster agreed to work together to fix the damage caused, and they had every expectation of succeeding... had survivors of the Seven Bloodstains Incident from the nation of Syestine not decided to launch a retaliatory terrorist attack on Ar Tonelico. The damage caused a huge energy buildup in the tower that couldn't escape until it was finally launched downward.

The planet was genuinely screwed up that time. Everything became barren volcanic wasteland, poisonous clouds spewed out of the ground and covered the whole world... The only places people continued to survive were on Ar Tonelico and the two towers built in Metafalss and Sol Cluster as part of the Planet Regeneration Project. They couldn't escape into space either, because a thick layer of plasma formed at the top of the atmosphere that fried any ships attempting to fly up too far.

Long story short, the planet was fixed now. Hana said she was certain of that, but didn't know the details of how it was done.

'How does a sublight civilization go from making their whole planet a volcanic hellscape, to restoring it to life-sustaining conditions in the span of only 700 years?'

As for her 'mother'? Someone named Mir, a "Reyvateil" who Hana said was supposed to look nearly identical to her aside from having thinner, straighter hair, darker eyes and sharper facial features. The story was too complicated for Hana to tell in one sitting, but Mir was created 400 years ago in Sol Ciel and subjected to very cruel treatment to turn her into the perfect tool and weapon. They wanted an emotionless drone without its own will or desires, and hoped to make all Reyvateils like this. Predictably, this made her go as close to insane as it was mentally possible for her species to get. When it seemed like humanity was about to enslave the Reyvateils once and for all, Mir decided to kill all humans and create a paradise for Reyvateils only.

'It's just like all the stories...'

Hana looked uncomfortable as she said this, and Sono had to wonder how she felt about it. This was her mother she was talking about, and… Sono thought she'd had relationship problems?

Mir had very nearly succeeded. In the course of her rebellion she was responsible for the deaths of millions of people, including other Reyvateils who'd refused to join her or were simply caught in the crossfire. Despite that, when she was defeated, Shurelia—the administrator, and possibly the only person Mir looked up to—had refused to kill her, instead imprisoning her mind in virtual reality for the next few centuries. Even then Mir hadn't given up, and eventually she'd almost escaped to resume her war. It took a very long time and a lot of pain, but she was finally convinced by the effort of many good people, humans and Reyvateils, to give up on her hatred and try to make up for everything she'd done.

'They just… forgave her? Someone who killed millions of people? And Hana told it like the killer was forgiving them. What kind of culture does Hana come from where people are capable seeing things that way?'

Hana explained that Mir had been even younger than her when they started experimenting on her. Mir had been the mental equivalent of 6 years old, and they'd kept it up until she was 30 before she snapped; even then, it was the threat of harming others that made her go off the deep end. The number of people who had been present for Mir's rebellion and were still alive could be counted on one hand anyway, so the vast majority of living people hadn't held any personal grudge against her... or, really, even knew she ever existed. It helped that Shurelia, possibly most-trusted person in the known world, didn't feel any real animosity for Mir in the first place.

Then there was the thing that brought all this out in the open.

"Why would the hair explode?" Her face was a picture, she was sure. She'd given up on disbelief, and was simply taking it all in as Hana spoke. She'd reconsider it later. It was, if nothing else, an amazing story.

"Because the matter I'm made of isn't stable. It can't exist too far from me, or… poof," Hana said, making a 'poof' motion with her hands.

"The… matter?" she asked, apprehensive.

Hana sighed and put the tea on the coffee table, fed up with staring at it.

"I'm not made of atoms. There isn't a single atom or atomic particle… or particle period in my body. I don't run on this universe's physics. I'm not from this universe."

'Then how could she possibly be human?'

"In the universe I'm from, all matter is composed of waves. Before you say 'so is matter here', that's not the same. Matter in my universe is always wave-like, regardless of whether it's interacting or not. Atoms and particles don't exist. There are many different types of waves, but there's only 2 you need to understand right now. Detail Waves are all the physical matter and energy. Light, heat, solids, liquids, gases, plasmas, and so-on. Hymmno Waves are… well, they're the stuff souls are made of. They exist in different wave layers from Detail Waves and only interact with them in what's called a Wave Crossover, but pretty much every lifeform uses them to run their minds. All of the information that makes up my mind and thoughts, my emotions and desires, is composed of Hymmno Waves. Then both these classes are further divided into Static and Dynamic, but then I'm just going into more detail than you really need to know right now."

She didn't get half of that.

Sono briefly had a moment of paranoia over the thought that mother might be listening to this conversation, but… Mother really wouldn't have listening devices in her room, would she? Sono had certainly worried about that when she was younger, but never found any evidence of it. Mother was overprotective sure, but not a crazed stalker. Sono had grown out of such wild fantasies years ago.

"My body produces a small field of my universe's physics to protect itself here. It's not… really dangerous to native life. Random atoms here and there turn into Detail Waves briefly and produce small bursts of radiation when they decay, but I've never noticed anything more serious. Your physics is just a lot more stable than mine. I was terrified that I might be a risk of cancer to people around me after I learned what cancer was, so I did lots of research and found out that almost everyone in star-faring civilizations is pretty robust against radiation damage. I was never a serious radiation hazard."

If this was true, and Sono wasn't quite ready to accept that it was, it was huge. Like, "greatest event in galactic history" huge. First-contact with another universe. She had to remain skeptical, though.

"Hana, you have to understand that this is a very big claim you're making. These are all very big claims, but that is the biggest."

Hana nodded in understanding.

"I know this is like I'm saying I don't trust you, but I just want you to demonstrate for me, okay? At least about you being… synthetic."

Hana sat silently for a while, wringing the hem of her skirt in her hands. Then she started glowing. Sono leaned back in her chair as the girl in front of her lit up in a brilliant display of green patterns and glowing eyes. Then she formed a hemi-spherical barrier of translucent green hexagons around herself. Sono touched it, and it felt solid. Definitely not like repulsor fields or particle shielding, which just pushed away or burned anything that touched them. Not a hologram either, as Sono would have to be wearing a haptic interface to feel that, and would still be able to push through.

That was definitely proof enough of being a synthetic. Alternate physics… not so much. Yet, Sono could tell that Hana was clearly very distressed about all this. She would drop that line of questioning for the moment. If Hana really was from another universe with different physics, it should have been easily verifiable with some testing. She wasn't sure if she wanted to put her through that, though.

"Why did you do it?" Hana suddenly asked.

"Huh?"

"Why did you take my hair?" Hana looked pleadingly at her. "How long did you suspect me of something? Did I… did I do something wrong?"

No, she never did anything wrong. If Hana was really telling the truth about her mental age… she didn't want to disbelieve that; it made sense of far too many quirks. Hana had to believe this was her fault— that she'd done something to deserve this treatment. Children usually did, she'd found, even if that didn't make any logical sense to believe. She couldn't let her go on believing that.

"You didn't do anything, Hana. This is my fault, not yours… and partly Oren's, but I could have just ignored him. He convinced me something was wrong with you. I was… I was afraid."

"Of me?" Hana asked, choking up as she did. Sono quickly jumped up and put down her tea, crossing the room to put her hands on Hana's shoulders. She looked the AGI girl —her precious friend— in the eyes with the most serious expression she could.

"No. For you. We thought you might be a… genetically modified clone, or the victim of cruel body modification experiments. People in that position are often physically or mentally unstable. I know this sounds ridiculous, but it's not out of the realm of possibility around here. It's not just media sensationalism or urban myth."

Sono's expression became pained and she gripped her shoulders tighter.

"I thought you were going to get sick. That you needed treatment or medication of some kind. I was afraid that… that you might die. It's not a good excuse, I know. I should have just asked you, but I thought we could avoid reminding you of whatever you'd run away from if we didn't find anything wrong."

Hana turned her face down, hiding her eyes behind her hair. Sono watched with trepidation as the young girl trembled, then began to hiccup with sobs.

"H-Hana? Are you… upset? I'm sorry."

Then the girl suddenly jumped forward and wrapped her arms around Sono.

"I'm n-not sad! I-I'm just… so h-happy! I f-finally don't h-have to be afraid of som*hic*one knowing! Thank you!"

Sono held the happily crying child tight, relieved that this all worked out somehow. After taking a few minutes to calm down, Hana and her shared a laugh over the whole thing. Then they finally drank their tea, still hot in their self-warming cups.

Then suddenly, Sono felt a question bubbling up when she thought about this whole fiasco again.

"Hana… if the hair had still been stuck to me, how were you going to get it off?"

"Uh… Oh… Well..." Hana blushed as she started and stopped. Sono raised an inquisitive eyebrow.

"I… didn't… mention I can shapeshift, did I?" Hana blushed even harder.

"Shapeshift?" Her thoughts went to any number of movies she'd watched, especially the ones with Jovian actors. That meant… she glanced at Hana's teenage form again. Sure, what kid wouldn't want to grow up early, and—the hair.

"I couldn't tell where it was, but I'd be able to feel it if I touched it. I'm not entirely limited to human shapes. So…"

She didn't seem to want to complete the sentence. Sono thought about it.

A beat.

'Yeah. That would have been awkward. Moving on.'

"Okay. It's not the craziest thing I've heard all day. I'm glad you didn't have to do that, though." Sono tried not to think too hard about what it would have looked like. Hana, for her part, kept blushing. Distractions, distractions…

"When will I get to see you at your real age?" She wondered, looking speculatively at Hana.

Hana's eyes widened, and her face twisted into the most comically outraged expression Sono had ever seen on the girl. She couldn't help it, she burst out laughing. After the past half-hour's revelations, this was what upset her?

"It's not funny. I don't want to be a chibi!"

She sounded downright whiny. The only thing missing from the picture was her cutely stamping her feet. Sono was starting to have trouble breathing… die, she'd die if she couldn't stop laughing soon.

"It can't possibly be this funny!"

Hana's affronted voice sent her into a new bout of hysterics. She couldn't even see the girl for tears, and she was using her to stay upright.

"No, no. Just—" She choked out. "I don't even know what's a chibi."

And somehow that was incredibly funny. She collapsed further, almost dragging Hana down on top of her. Days of stress from worrying about her were just melting away. There were problems in plenty for later, starting with the fact that twelve-year-olds should not be working at all, let alone working to stay alive--and, oh boy, they needed to sit down with Oren soon--but her life had gotten oh so much brighter in just half an hour. Things were going to be all right.

"A chibi is…" Hana giggled a little, then cut herself off, but kept silently shaking. In laughter, this time, not tears. Sono could tell. "From those memories, or simulations, or… stop that!"

She decided to find out if tween-aged alien AIs were ticklish.

Turned out that they were.

Last edited:
Hana has exploding hair, good to know. Though according to the explanation if you release her matter in to local reality she has exploding everything, complete explodium. That's a lot of pressure to live under, no wonder she was so worried.

Such a sweet chapter. Glad that Hana doesn't need to worry about hiding her origins from her friends anymore, and Sono didn't go boom from snipping a chunk of hair off her too. Wonder why they didn't test the 'not made up of matter' thing by chucking the hair on the floor and moving away a bit? If Hana made a barrier to protect them both as they backed away, or perhaps formed it around the hair, nothing would even get harmed.

Einsig said:
It took a very long time and a lot of pain, but she was finally convinced by the effort of many good people, humans and Reyvateils, to give up on her hatred and try to make up for everything she'd done.

'They just… forgave her? Someone who killed millions of people? And Hana told it like the killer was forgiving them. What kind of culture does Hana come from where people are capable seeing things that way?'
...Man, when put in context the history of Ar Ciel is kinda nutty. Not to mention the canon ending of Ar Tonelico one. I doubt our own Earth society could forgive her in such a way, even if everyone was dead for a few century first. I mean, I'd like to, but cynicism is refusing to let me. Is the culture of AT1 based on Earth cultures in some manner, such as Japanese or Western? The language, Shell, is a mishmash of English and Japanese, I think...

Last edited:
Such a sweet chapter. Glad that Hana doesn't need to worry about hiding her origins from her friends anymore, and Sono didn't go boom from snipping a chunk of hair off her too. Wonder why they didn't test the 'not made up of matter' thing by chucking the hair on the floor and moving away a bit? If Hana made a barrier to protect them both as they backed away, or perhaps formed it around the hair, nothing would even get harmed.

...Man, when put in context the history of Ar Ciel is kinda nutty. Not to mention the canon ending of Ar Tonelico one. I doubt our own Earth society could forgive her in such a way, even if everyone was dead for a few century first. I mean, I'd like to, but cynicism is refusing to let me. Is the culture of AT1 based on Earth cultures in some manner, such as Japanese or Western? The language, Shell, is a mishmash of English and Japanese, I think...

Given it was Shurelia (who was well pratically worshiped by that point) that told people to leave Mir alive so.....expected?

Wonder why they didn't test the 'not made up of matter' thing by chucking the hair on the floor and moving away a bit? If Hana made a barrier to protect them both as they backed away, or perhaps formed it around the hair, nothing would even get harmed.

The original draft of this chapter actually had that happen.

But realizing both that Hana would most likely be able to find the hair herself, and be extremely resistant to the idea of showing pieces of herself exploding to her best friend, it was removed.

Last edited:
Given it was Shurelia (who was well pratically worshiped by that point) that told people to leave Mir alive so.....expected?
Practically everyone else who even knew Mir once existed, other than the main characters (who found out about her mostly from Shurelia), were dead by the end of the story.

And when you get right down to it, Mir did save Shurelia's life with her, erm, little tantrum. There's a reason Shurelia has a poor sense of direction and significant amnesia, and Mir's the reason it isn't any worse than it is.

Last edited:
Hana was a robot—no, she was a space pirate plant—no, she was a clone, of some historical genius, and she'd sicken and die in a few short years without her medication, from the space pirates or crazed aliens or government program she'd run away from.
1) Robot? Somewhat yes... in some ways.
2) Space pirate plant? She did kill some pirates, but was never part of them.
3) Clone? Sorta, of Mir herself.
4) Of a genius? It's Mir, ain't gotta explain shit.
5) Would die in a few years without her medication? Nah. Fortunately, it seems like Mir designed her as a stable Reyvateil that doesn't need any Diquility(?) to live longer than 20 years.

Sono's instincts are pretty good...

"You can't take pieces of me. You can't. Please, give it back."

"Hana? I can't hear you. Please, tell me what's wrong with the hair." Sono urged, finally getting the courage to wrap Hana up in her arms. "I'm sorry I took it. I won't do it again. I promise. Just tell me what's wrong."

The younger girl shivered in Sono's embrace for a few moments before finally pulling her face up to speak.

"Because… it would explode," she said in a tiny whisper, just loud enough to hear clearly.
So does that make Hana... a very volatile person?
*is shot*

"Because apparently my mother is a four-hundred year-old genius."
Genius isn't probably gonna cut it well enough.
Oh, and she also looks like a teenager. Nobody would believe she's actually centuries-old.

Cid was literally using child labor. After worrying that he'd hired a maybe-fifteen-year-old, that was…
To be fair, Cid didn't know at the time (still doesn't) and Hana wasn't keen on sharing that tidbit either. :p

Hana turned her face down, hiding her eyes behind her hair. Sono watched with trepidation as the young girl trembled, then began to hiccup with sobs.

"H-Hana? Are you… upset? I'm sorry."

Then the girl suddenly jumped forward and wrapped her arms around Sono.

"I'm n-not sad! I-I'm just… so h-happy! I f-finally don't h-have to be afraid of som*hic*one knowing! Thank you!"
Guh.

I would have shed WAFF tears if I wasn't at work... ;_;

"Hana… if the hair had still been stuck to me, how were you going to get it off?"

"Uh… Oh… Well..." Hana blushed as she started and stopped. Sono raised an inquisitive eyebrow.

"I… didn't… mention I can shapeshift, did I?" Hana blushed even harder.
Hopefully, no lewd thoughts happened-

Ah heck. Who am I kidding...

"It's not funny. I don't want to be a chibi!"
Was wondering why Hana would use this term instead of "womanlet" or "midget" or "palmtop tiger" or "beansprout", but fortunately she cleared it up afterwards.

She decided to find out if tween-aged alien AIs were ticklish.

Turned out that they were.
Just two best friends enjoying their time with each other.
Nothing weird to see here, move on. :D

Nice chapter in there, filled with cuteness when it comes to interactions and also giving a good insight for the readers in the way Ar Ciel's history went down from the Seven Bloodstains and up to the singing of "Ec Tisia" though I have to add a couple corrections:

- Hana's initial age should be 6 years, as that's the physical and mental age at which all Pureblood Reyvateils get released from their cultivation Tripolar Resonance Incubators (so yeah, a newborn Pureblood Reyvateil actually has the same maturity as a six-year old girl regardless of her actual chronological age).

- H-Waves actually exist in the same tridimensional space as D-Waves do, the only difference is that they are located in different wave layers and thus can't interact with each other except when a Wave Crossover happens (similarly to different layers in a Photoshop picture). And fellow H-Waves do have a high interactivity level, as H-Wave clashes are what provoke emotional reactions between people. And while it's true that the Qualia positions that represent the state for each soul in different parallel universes exist in the Sixth Dimension, Ar Ciel's civilization is completely unaware of the dimensions higher than the Fourth one (with the Teru being partially aware of the Fifth Dimension's existence due to their magic system). Additionally, each wave accomplishes roles according to the meaning the Wills that created each world have given them, so there are worlds in which matter could be made from R-Waves and souls from Tz-Waves, which would be completely imperceptible to the Ar Cielans (and there's also an example with Ar Ciel being imperceptible to us because D-Waves don't exist in our planet or galaxy, neither do we have sensors capable of perceiving such a wave type).

And as fun fact for everyone, it's true the project with Mir was incomplete, but a Reyvateil very close to what she was supposed to end up being was actually created later on: it was Akane from AT3, as Harvestasha VISTA applied a process similar (installing a suppressor in a particular region of the Cosmosphere) to the one used in Mir to reduce her emotions to the minimum possible (and with far better results due to being carried out by an AI instead of humans). The only difference is that Akane isn't overclocked and thus doesn't quite reach the insane reaction and processing speeds Mir is capable of (more information in Toukousphere Issues #60 and #99, and in the Technical Data Compilation Room's Issue #9).

As a matter of fact, Shell is supposed to be its own thing, as Shurelia and Mir stated twice in the Toukousphere (issues #109 and #115 for reference) that neither English nor Japanese exist in Ar Ciel, and that the texts appear the way they do in the games just for the players' convenience. As Shurelia herself said: "If we actually had displayed the languages that are used in Ar Ciel for normal communication in the text windows, it'd have been impossible for everyone to progress through the games, correct?"

Last edited:
...Man, when put in context the history of Ar Ciel is kinda nutty. Not to mention the canon ending of Ar Tonelico one. I doubt our own Earth society could forgive her in such a way, even if everyone was dead for a few century first.
It was three way war. Two sides of which were genocidal (total mindwipe and turning thinking beings in robots is genocide which was essentially gameplan). There is reason culture of Platina and below are so different. Yes, many civilians died but even if main cast wasn't exactly normal they are either Reyvateils and/or from Platina and/or in opposition to views that can be traced back to El Elemia government from dropped wing which with that being long ago would've made them hard pressed to care, especially with living goddess being pro-forgiving.

Last edited:
- Hana's initial age should be 6 years, as that's the physical and mental age at which all Pureblood Reyvateils get released from their cultivation Tripolar Resonance Incubators (so yeah, a newborn Pureblood Reyvateil actually has the same maturity as a six-year old girl regardless of her actual chronological age).
Hana wasn't made in the same manner as a Beta.

Well, that's true, but... honestly, I wouldn't have wanted to throw a six-year-old to the Metroids. Eight-year-old Hana is bad enough. That, and my notion of when incubation normally ends was more vague than that.

I appreciate your corrections, but it's impossible to work it all into the story without grinding it to a halt, so for everyone else reading you can consider this an AU in some minor ways.
As a matter of fact, Shell is supposed to be its own thing, as Shurelia and Mir stated twice in the Toukousphere (issues #109 and #115 for reference) that neither English nor Japanese exist in Ar Ciel, and that the texts appear the way they do in the games just for the players' convenience. As Shurelia herself said: "If we actually had displayed the languages that are used in Ar Ciel for normal communication in the text windows, it'd have been impossible for everyone to progress through the games, correct?"
Translation effect, in other words. :p

Problem: "Shell" is an incredibly obvious programmer in-joke. Obviously they weren't actually speaking English, but if the history of that language every ends up mattering, then it's more likely to be "Distant descendant of a variety of Earth languages" than "completely new". The exact ones don't really matter for the story.
- H-Waves actually exist in the same tridimensional space as D-Waves do, the only difference is that they are located in different wave layers and thus can't interact with each other except when a Wave Crossover happens (similarly to different layers in a Photoshop picture).
...etc.

This is a matter of wording, but Hana was simplifying, and Sono still didn't understand much. It's not intended to be accurate. Of course, in part that's because I don't know very much about how it's supposed to work either; is there a more comprehensive writeup on this than the Wave Theory one on Wikia?

Last edited:

Well, that's true, but... honestly, I wouldn't have wanted to throw a six-year-old to the Metroids. Eight-year-old Hana is bad enough. That, and my notion of when incubation normally ends was more vague than that.

I appreciate your corrections, but it's impossible to work it all into the story without grinding it to a halt, so for everyone else reading you can consider this an AU in some minor ways.

It's not hard for me to say that 2 years of Hana's life went missing before she showed up in Metroid. I've kind of left the backstory open enough that this is possible.

Points taken, but I just wanted to point that out, and even then, it's easy to hand-wave it with Mir having altered the cultivation time for her.

Translation effect, in other words. :p

Problem: "Shell" is an incredibly obvious programmer in-joke. Obviously they weren't actually speaking English, but if the history of that language every ends up mattering, then it's more likely to be "Distant descendant of a variety of Earth languages" than "completely new". The exact ones don't really matter for the story.

Fair enough. I guess we'll only know for sure if they ever make it an important point in some future work. But given the peculiarities Emotional Song Pact ended having, I don't see it as impossible for them to make it an entirely different thing from currently known languages, especially if they want to drive further home the point of it being an entirely different world with its own cultures and story.

...etc.

This is a matter of wording, but Hana was simplifying, and Sono still didn't understand much. It's not intended to be accurate. Of course, in part that's because I don't know very much about how it's supposed to work either; is there a more comprehensive writeup on this than the Wave Theory one on Wikia?

It's because several add-ons have been given to the overall Wave Theory concepts from Surge Concerto onwards, as it'd be confusing to continue calling the wave types as existing in different dimensions while at the same time talking about the Seven Dimensions represented in the Qualia Dimension Theory. The most up-to-date version of that write-up is the "The Laws of the Universe" article in the Wikia, which is in itself an update of the Wave Theory section from the AT2 Setting Encyclopedia. As for the part that describes the wave layers bit, it is the "Genoms" subsection of that article.

It's because several add-ons have been given to the overall Wave Theory concepts from Surge Concerto onwards, as it'd be confusing to continue calling the wave types as existing in different dimensions while at the same time talking about the Seven Dimensions represented in the Qualia Dimension Theory. The most up-to-date version of that write-up is the "The Laws of the Universe" article in the Wikia, which is in itself an update of the Wave Theory section from the AT2 Setting Encyclopedia. As for the part that describes the wave layers bit, it is the "Genoms" subsection of that article.
For what it's worth: The "waves existing in different dimensions" bit looks like a fairly straight-forward reference to string theory, where most of the various non-composite fields (Photon field, electron field, etc.) are waves propagating through rolled-up dimensions (the field being defined by the dimension), and their interaction strengths and (to some degree) other behaviour is set by the size and number of those dimensions. There's an incredible variety of possible universes that could be formed, depending on how you set the exact parameters, and while most of them wouldn't be imicable to life... some could, even without replicating ours.

(Any actual string theorist would shoot me for the above description.)

This is a different concept from Ciel nosurge's dimensions, as the ones in string theory are more of a mathematical formalism and calculation convenience than something that's necessarily out there. Though the universe would behave as if they exist, if string theory is true, so it becomes more a question of preferred wording again.

Ciel nosurge's dimensions, however, are the non-rolled-up kind. We've got X, Y, Z, T...

Actually, that's where it ends. The seventh looks like a reference to Many-Worlds, but it behaves more like it's giving you the option of moving between different universes. Bearing in mind that doing so is, by definition, impossible... not that I let that stop me in my own story, with Nayaka and Nei. Many-Worlds isn't a dimension anyway; all the branches of time overlap, split in phase-space rather than by location.The sixth makes no bloody sense at all, and I have no idea what the fifth is supposed to be. At least the seventh is, in some sense, an axis.

You might at this point be grasping my attitude to this: For all fiction, I take the universe as described and attempt to construct one that'd hang together on its own; a universe that might actually exist in reality, given a Tegmark level 4 multiverse. In many cases this ends up requiring gods, or similarly powerful being that make them follow the rules; there's no particular limitation to how complex laws of physics can be, but following any reasonable universal prior, at some point it'll end up being more common as a simulation in some other universe than as a universe on its own.

Ar Tonelico is not, I think, quite that bad—so long as I assume that some of the explained science got scrambled, at some point between my head, the wiki, JP->EN and the game's own translation effect. Or even that the characters themselves took shortcuts and didn't go into every little detail.

But that's where at some point, if you're writing a story, you need to pick and choose which parts of canon fit best into the story.

Last edited:
What's the sixth? Why doesn't it make sense? I find it kinda neat how the game creators based their dimensional theories on ones we actually have now, regardless.
Wiki entry: Seven Dimensions

In short, the fifth is probably meant to be MWI as such (but described weirdly), the seventh sounds like MWI again (until you look at how they use it), and the sixth is... an axis on which, by moving, you can find all possible conscious living beings?

That's not an axis at all. You can't have a universe that works that way; or, you can, but you'd need intelligence in the laws of physics to pick out which parts of the universe correspond to "consciousness" in the first place, and even then it no longer fits the mathematical concept of an "axis".

To be fair, Will of Exa Pico... it's not like you can't work this out if you want to. I just prefer my universes to be more mechanical, with fewer gods. Even if they're eldritch and lovecraftian beings.

Last edited:
Can I just say that while I love this story, it seems like the Tonelico part of the crossover is pretty much overwhelming the AoBS portion as far as story presence/importance goes. IDK, it just doesn't seem to have that much importance currently beyond just being able to let Hana say she's synthetic. At that point, you could have made her any other generic robot and gotten the same results.

Either way, keep up the good work :D.

Can I just say that while I love this story, it seems like the Tonelico part of the crossover is pretty much overwhelming the AoBS portion as far as story presence/importance goes. IDK, it just doesn't seem to have that much importance currently beyond just being able to let Hana say she's synthetic. At that point, you could have made her any other generic robot and gotten the same results.

Either way, keep up the good work :D.
If it came to that, Hana would have still been synthetic without any Fog elements in there at all. It's very easy to miss, but Reyvateils aren't human.

I assure you, though, that the Fog elements remain important. They just haven't shown up yet.

If it came to that, Hana would have still been synthetic without any Fog elements in there at all. It's very easy to miss, but Reyvateils aren't human.
They are! They're just...post-human humans. And some are grey goop in human shapes. Some are post and pre-human hybrids, but those don't last long due to compatibility issues.

Last edited:
the seventh sounds like MWI again (until you look at how they use it)
Actually I took the 7th to be a reference to some variants of string theory myself; the ones where universes might be stacked in some of the extra dimensions as a kind of branes, separated entirely from each other and possibly highly different indeed. Though in that theory their ability to interact with each other is thus not completely precluded, in theory the universe brane could perhaps collide.

Wiki entry: Seven Dimensions

In short, the fifth is probably meant to be MWI as such (but described weirdly), the seventh sounds like MWI again (until you look at how they use it), and the sixth is... an axis on which, by moving, you can find all possible conscious living beings?

That's not an axis at all. You can't have a universe that works that way; or, you can, but you'd need intelligence in the laws of physics to pick out which parts of the universe correspond to "consciousness" in the first place, and even then it no longer fits the mathematical concept of an "axis".

To be fair, Will of Exa Pico... it's not like you can't work this out if you want to. I just prefer my universes to be more mechanical, with fewer gods. Even if they're eldritch and lovecraftian beings.

I'll try to simplify the explanation there: the Fifth Dimension is the Axis that gives access to all the possibilities or possible versions of the same world (parallel universes, in short), while the Sixth Dimension is the Axis where all the versions of the souls for the inhabitants of every single possibility exist (as each soul will have undergone entirely different experiences in each possibility).

So by traversing the Sixth Dimension, you could change your point view to that of another version of yourself living in a parallel universe if you don't move in a straight line across it, and if you have Oversight, you could potentially move across the Sixth Dimension to make all the people in the world think and act however you wanted (though that would require ridiculous amounts of energy to be carried out). Sorry if it still sounds complicated, but it really isn't an easy concept to explain.

And well... the consciousness is expressed as H-Wave patterns and frequencies in the EXA_PICO universe (the H-Wave part of the FFT Spectrum used to identify anything over there), so it can also be expressed in mathematical and scientific terms. Not for nothing it's been said that feelings and the power of love are actually quantifiable over there.

Hmmm, so it's a bit like H-Waves or equivalents operate in their own separate dimension then I guess, specifically I suppose all H-Wave from all probabilities all operate in that area. Which indeed would allow for shenanigans then with personalities then I guess.

Actually, that's where it ends. The seventh looks like a reference to Many-Worlds, but it behaves more like it's giving you the option of moving between different universes. Bearing in mind that doing so is, by definition, impossible... not that I let that stop me in my own story, with Nayaka and Nei. Many-Worlds isn't a dimension anyway; all the branches of time overlap, split in phase-space rather than by location.The sixth makes no bloody sense at all, and I have no idea what the fifth is supposed to be. At least the seventh is, in some sense, an axis.

So what you have to keep in mind, while reading these descriptions of "dimensions", is that (sadly) most people think "dimension" is a funny term for "other universe" or "parallel world" or "realm of existence".

In the case of the Seven Dimensions, this is harder than it usually is for mathematically-inclined people to remember: the Wiki uses the term "Axis" to describe them, and starts off with a mostly-accurate description of the x-, y-, z-, and t-axes. I say "mostly" because these "Axes" are then promptly redescribed as "Worlds", and the descriptions make it clear that the various Worlds are nested, each within the next, each with their own inhabitants. While only one dimension (in the mathematical sense) is added between each World from Zero to Four, I don't think that's enough to assume that that pattern continues—especially not since the Emotional Song Pact names for them start at the Third.

It's probably best to forget the term "Axis" here and just consider these to be "layers of reality", much like the Tegmark multiverse levels. Very much like the Tegmark multiverse levels, in fact: given this I read the Fifth (ye-ra jec) as describing Tegmark's Level 3 multiverse, while the Seventh (gin-wa-fen) describes Tegmark's Level 4 multiverse. (It's stated that the "Big Bang Universe"—that is to say, ours—exists within the Seventh.) If the word "Axis" is used diegetically, uh, *mumble mumble* widespread misconception *handwave* science journalists *mutter*.

If "Layer" is a better term than "Axis", it's entirely possible that Nei is better off than Nayaka; the latter seems to have lost virtually all of her "higher-dimensional"α​ self, whereas the former is attached to a character that canonicallyβ​ has Oversight access.

α​ I feel so dirty typing that.
β​ Or so I understand; I've never played the nosurge games.

That the Sixth (aru-yan), the space of emotion and consciousness, subsumes the Fifth... I'm not entirely sure what to make of that. I don't think the writers do, either, considering how they're used in the description of the conjugations of Emotional Song Pact—the Fifth and Sixth are always coupled.

[...] but following any reasonable universal prior, at some point it'll end up being more common as a simulation in some other universe than as a universe on its own.

Which of the following do you assert is not true?
  • The cardinality of Tegmark-4 is no greater than ℶ1​.
  • It is possible to define a probability measure with support greater than measure zero on a space of cardinality greater than ℶ1​.
  • "more common" means what it normally does.
:p

Back