A Monument to Man's Arrogance: Arizona to Virgin Earth

Like a Phoenix from the ashes, it rising again, stronger and brighter than before!

So, if we're following the theme of each successor state being a different type of government (GoE is a planter aristocracy, Yuma a military dictatorship, Bullhead City AnCapistan, Flagstaff a flawed democracy), Stafford seems to be almost an enlightened dictatorship. "El Presidente" seems to be far better at making sure there's food while also not being an authoritarian jerk the way the Yuma government is, with his subjects mostly just left around.

In a well-furnished office of Safford's City Hall I meet with the man who rules one of the successor states to the dead government of Arizona. Juan Salazar; "El Presidente"; the Governor of the State of Arizona, Safford Government. He is a heavyset man in his thirties, wearing a sharp grey suit, with a scar across one eyebrow that causes it to be permanently raised in a roguish fashion.

Good afternoon, it's an honor to meet with a member of the press.

[Do you often give interviews?]

To the local papers? No, I let them write whatever they want. Besides, if you want the actual news these days, read the church bulletins.

[You don't care what the papers have to say?]

Not really. I've already shuttered one newspaper - Pour encourager les autres. I mean there's no "transparency", if that's something you worry about.

[Don't you think the people care what their government is doing?]

Look, I know these people. They break ranks when the people in charge rock the boat. They were always like that, even back in the Old World. No, what they need is someone who's there to plug the leaks and hammer down any loose nails.

[That sounds like minarchism.]

Does it? I don't think the folks in Bullhead would say so. Turns out a functioning government means more than just a night watchmen.

[Why do you think you're still in power?]

Aside from nobody around here deciding to give me the push yet? Flagstaff just left me be. I opened Safford up to their business interests - that's the salvage company office in Globe, plus a few others - and in return they let me run things while they focus on their core. They let a lot of places go out of the way, whether it's the fundies north of the Rim or those ranchers out west. They didn't have the resources to control everyone in their sphere of influence.

[Would you consider Safford a client state?]

You ask a lot of questions about terminology.

[Why did you take control of Safford?]

You've probably heard about how the old mayor wasn't the right man for the job, how we needed a hard man to make the hard decisions. Just between you and me, he wasn't the worst man for the job. He might've made the right decision, he could've pulled it off. But he hesitated. There was a chance of risk. And besides, he was the one making the decision and I wasn't.

[So it was ambition?]

Look, I asked myself: "So, he pulls it off, then what?" I had a good thing in the Old World, then I had the opportunity to get shot at, or to spend the rest of my life shoveling manure in a potato field.

And yeah, now I'm in charge, so what? I don't cheat anyone with the ration cards, I keep the peace, and every once in a while Flagstaff slips us enough money to do projects like opening the pass to Phoenix, or build a new mill.

It's a small nation, you don't got that much power to spread around in the first place. All the purges happened right away - the militia leaders, the big landowners, a few folks who looked like they had a case of ideology. I kept the bureaucrats, though, I'm not stupid.

...alright, so I disappeared a few officers since then, but only cause they wanted to pull the same stunt I did. I got an obligation to watch my own back.

[So you think you're secure?]

About as secure as a dictator can be. I don't expect to get old in this position, and there's no such thing as Swiss bank accounts anymore. But you know, I made it through the bad old days, I got my cut, and I kept things afloat while I was in charge. What's there to worry about? Maybe they'll be nice and give me life under house arrest.

[Is this a game to you?]

Look around, honey. Does anything that's happened in the last five years seem real to you?

[...I see. So, what are your relations like with other nations?]

Nonexistent. Bullhead City and Yuma are too far away, those legitimist fuckers might as well be on the Moon, and nobody but nobody recognizes the crazies in the wasteland, not even each other.

Oh right, I guess there's the Cochise Government. But wow, you thought we were hicks? Wait until you see them.

This has been the chapter on the Safford Government. Next is a rather short chapter on the Cochise Government, followed by the chapter on the Wasteland, which will be the conclusion of this TL!

Last edited:
[Why did you take control of Safford?]

You've probably heard about how the old mayor wasn't the right man for the job, how we needed a hard man to make the hard decisions. Just between you and me, he wasn't the worst man for the job. He might've made the right decision, he could've pulled it off. But he hesitated. There was a chance of risk. And besides, he was the one making the decision and I wasn't.

[So it was ambition?]

Look, I asked myself: "So, he pulls it off, then what?" I had a good thing in the Old World, then I had the opportunity to get shot at, or to spend the rest of my life shoveling manure in a potato field.

And yeah, now I'm in charge, so what? I don't cheat anyone with the ration cards, I keep the peace, and every once in a while Flagstaff slips us enough money to do projects like opening the pass to Phoenix, or build a new mill.

It's a small nation, you don't got that much power to spread around in the first place. All the purges happened right away - the militia leaders, the big landowners, a few folks who looked like they had a case of ideology. I kept the bureaucrats, though, I'm not stupid.

...alright, so I disappeared a few officers since then, but only cause they wanted to pull the same stunt I did. I got an obligation to watch my own back.

[So you think you're secure?]

About as secure as a dictator can be. I don't expect to get old in this position, and there's no such thing as Swiss bank accounts anymore. But you know, I made it through the bad old days, I got my cut, and I kept things afloat while I was in charge. What's there to worry about? Maybe they'll be nice and give me life under house arrest.

[Is this a game to you?]

Look around, honey. Does anything that's happened in the last five years seem real to you?

[...I see.]
This guy's mindset is not at all unsettling in a "well, I'm clearly in a grimdark Isekai scenario, time to make myself dictator" kinda way. Nope.

Are we going to be getting to Tucson any time soon? I know it wasn't nearly as big as Phoenix but it was still a large city.

Chapter 6: State of Arizona - Cochise Government
The sprawling camp outside of Bisbee is dirty, noisy, and chaotic. Men and women laugh, drink, and sing, brawls break out all over, people laugh and chatter over cooking fires, and one can hear the sound of gunshots, revving motorcycles, and the noise of dogs, cattle, and horses. My guide, Chuck Warren, leads me through the maze, often shouting to be heard above the ruckus.

Yes, ma'am, it's a riot of a good time! Ain't no place like a cattle fair to swap anything you want to swap. Horses, cattle, trucks, you name it!

[This is a cattle fair?]

Why, yes, ma'am! Bisbee is the place to hold the biggest cattle fair in the state, on account of the Senate bein' in session.

[Who's meeting in the Senate?]

All the big landowners, the cattle barons and the bosses of the military brigades, an' so on. All the bosses get their men to vote for them, so all the head honchos are the ones who meet to work out the nitty-gritty, the borders and the rates of exchange and our trade relations and that. Never seen a ranch hand in the Senate, come to think of it, but what would they know about anything other than staring up the south end of a north-bound steer?

[Why do you claim to be the state of Arizona?]

We're Arizona as it shoulda been! No big government to interfere in our lives, asking for taxes and getting their hands all over our property. That's the state the Founding Fathers intended, before the government started getting too big for its own good, thinking it could boss around its own people!

Above us flies one of the unofficial flags of the Cochise Government - the Gadsden Flag, a coiled rattlesnake above the phrase "Don't Tread on Me".

Well, we're really of the people now! The true people, who live and work the land, and not those liberals in the cities - look where they ended up! Either bones in the desert, or workin' farms and ranches for us!

[Would you say everyone here is equal?]

Shit, course we're equal. If you got a gun and horse, you can go anywhere, work for any man, even join one of the Brigades. If you're on foot you're free to walk, of course, and we got a few towns of our own, though nowhere near as big as in the Old World. You can get a job there if you're too soft to rope cattle.

Yeah you got the big bosses, but they're the ones who own the land and worked hard for it, and shit if you really want to be your own boss you'll set out to the frontier and homestead, get some workers of your own, and then maybe one day you'll be a Senator, too!

Shit, I know women who can rope cattle with the best of them, and draw a faster gun than any cowboy. Frontier gals ain't no weaker sex!

[How did things end up like this?]

Well, back after the Old World went up in smoke, you got loads and loads of refugees coming this way. Well, this corner of the state had its fair share of National Guardsmen, Army bases, and Border Guards, and they did the right thing and fended them off before they could swamp us. Sure a lotta people got shot or turned back, but we let through a few, if they could prove they were useful. You got the same thing all over the state, don't know why we should feel sorry for staying alive.

[What about the founding of your government?]

As it happened, the big landowners, the cattles bosses and so on, got together and started splitting up the refugees and folks from the cities, moving people around to where they were needed, on farms and ranches and so on, and eventually they decided to sign the Cochise Treaty, which established our new government, to coordinate everything. Ain't no big story there, it's just how it happened.

As for the military men, they turned into the Brigades, they keep the peace in their little corners of the territory and any man can join up so long as he can shoot straight, and they're tough bastards, you better believe it.

A pack of motorcycle racers speed by in a cloud of dust.

[ Where do you get your oil?]

Oh, trade with Flagstaff. It comes here by drips and drabs, but there's always some coming in from somewhere. We pay good for it, too, cattle and cotton and whatever we get from salvaging the Corpse City. Whew-ee, that's an adventure and a half, shootouts with wild raiders and scavengers. A lot of our boys used to go in to prove their grit - you know how they can be, thinking with their dicks. The real hard cases sign on with the salvage companies as hired guns.

Somewhere there are more gunshots, followed by a loud commotion of angry men which soon dies down.

[Things seem...exciting around here.]

Shit, life is like a good stew, no good without a little spice. Cattle raids, border disputes, hunting for outlaws, adventuring in the Corpse City, just carrying on feuds with the neighbors...

If you want excitement, yeah we got our fair share of it, if you can stomach it. Otherwise, and this is a saying out here, there's a desk waiting for you in Flagstaff.

Chuck stops and cracks open a metal container of some indescribable alcoholic beverage and takes a swig before raising it towards the eastern horizon in a toast.

As for me? Out there, where the Virgin Earth is, that's where I'm gonna build my plot of land one day. My own ranch with my own ranch hands and milk maids to boss around, maybe a wife and a litter of kids. There's a whole world out there, and we're the men who're gonna own it.

Last edited:
These guys seem very positive about life. Then again they have more water nearby and a straight line towards greener pastures.

Btw. Does this mean that a journalist lady managed to cross a wild apocalypse land, the length of political Europe, and came out of it without a single misadventure?

...did they have a glass case stating "In case of spontaneous temporal translocation, break glass for spontaneous cheesy cowboy asthetic?"

...did they have a glass case stating "In case of spontaneous temporal translocation, break glass for spontaneous cheesy cowboy asthetic?"

Take it from someone who lives in Arizona, a lot of the people in this state want to believe they still live in the Old West.

Cochise County is the corner of the state that gave us Tombstone, doncha know.

Those are the people who will inherit the Earth (until population density goes up again and they're obsolete). They've got the right psychology to be settlers and just not give a shit about their declining living standards and technology.

Humans aren't a solid or liquid, but a gas, expanding to fill every available space.

Last edited:
I wonder to what degree (if any) Mr. Warren is looking past the loonytarian country boy thing to see the not-so-budding proto-feudalism

I wonder to what degree (if any) Mr. Warren is looking past the loonytarian country boy thing to see the not-so-budding proto-feudalism

Whaaaat's the difference? :V

I think his last 3 sentences suggest hes more than ready for that approach. Especially the 'milk maids'!

Admittedly, Mr. Warren is one of those schmucks who doesn't mind having some obvious inequalities because, hey, that might be me up there one day, lording it over the peasants!

Of course he's just about as likely to end up a cattle baron as your average blue collar worker is likely to end up a millionaire. Bootstraps aside, he might end up the neofeudal equivalent of a landed knight, or maybe he'll just stay a ranch hand until he dies in a cattle raid gone pear-shaped.

Protip about the apocalypse: Everyone think they'd be Lord Humongous but most of them would probably end up being the guy who catches the razor boomerang.

Back