THRONE//FRINGE: Normal Human Mech-Girl Quest

[X] Celeste, in the Exofortress core. The onboard AI is as enigmatic as any being you've ever known, and yet you feel as though she's been sheltering you forever. Her neutral demeanor and robotic intonation sometimes breaks, suggesting something more ominous. Maybe in a time of crisis you might be able to learn more.

II. The Angles of Our Love

This was great, by the way. Lots of really sweet moments and a lot of useful context for people regarding what the Empire is and more importantly what it isn't. For a certain personality and kind of thinking, the Empire's Darwinian meritocracy might even be liberating. For people such as these driven outcasts or former servants, who had ambition and the talent to realize it, this sort of environment is one where they can thrive.

[X] Navigator Mappi, in the cube. The exofortress' navigator is a savant, like you, but altogether much less well-angled in every conceivable way. They were thrown in the containment cube by Force Commander Ishtar after they warned about the 'fourth wall closing in around us', and a part of you wonders if he sees a line you don't.

The forth wall? Do tell.

I think the answer to that question is actually fairly obvious.

>:: Attention all pilots: please be advised that the muster takes place in two imperial hours at the Star-Hold Atrium. Force Commander Ishtar expects your participation. Force Commander Ishtar also reminds crew not to refer to Arachne Weaver as 'mother', as she is not, and it is unprofessional.
>:: The song of the day as chosen by the Force Commander is "Play Along and We Won't Die", by The Simulation. Listening to the track is mandatory - it has been downloaded to your neural links.

The 'crew' are Arachne's subroutines which, because Arachne was designed in a way that results in having large numbers of semi-autonomous subminds (rather than, say, a different mental structure which would have these intelligent systems fully integrated on an unconscious level). Mappi is an outside piece of software which for all its intelligence and knowledge is not nearly smart enough to know when to shut the fuck up. It's probably bitching to no end about being placed in an unregistered, unapproved simulation or something.

Celeste is probably the personification of what the Celestial Nail has left here, and Dr. Lotus's pet dragon is, most likely, the dragon talon. The last one I think is the most interesting choice because the Dragon is a lot more aware of this specific milieu than most of the participants here, for the fairly obvious reason that it existed and fought through this era, and it probably has interesting observations as to how Hidalgo's fantasy is inaccurate, which is something that probably won't come up otherwise if we don't bug the talon-fragments now.

This was great, by the way. Lots of really sweet moments and a lot of useful context for people regarding what the Empire is and more importantly what it isn't. For a certain personality and kind of thinking, the Empire's Darwinian meritocracy might even be liberating. For people such as these driven outcasts or former servants, who had ambition and the talent to realize it, this sort of environment is one where they can thrive.

I think the answer to that question is actually fairly obvious.

The 'crew' are Arachne's subroutines which, because Arachne was designed in a way that results in having large numbers of semi-autonomous subminds (rather than, say, a different mental structure which would have these intelligent systems fully integrated on an unconscious level). Mappi is an outside piece of software which for all its intelligence and knowledge is not nearly smart enough to know when to shut the fuck up. It's probably bitching to no end about being placed in an unregistered, unapproved simulation or something.

Celeste is probably the personification of what the Celestial Nail has left here, and Dr. Lotus's pet dragon is, most likely, the dragon talon. The last one I think is the most interesting choice because the Dragon is a lot more aware of this specific milieu than most of the participants here, for the fairly obvious reason that it existed and fought through this era, and it probably has interesting observations as to how Hidalgo's fantasy is inaccurate, which is something that probably won't come up otherwise if we don't bug the talon-fragments now.
Now imagine all the people who didn't have the talent and ambition to make it. I wonder what the Empire did to them.

I know I myself would have probably gotten sold down the river. :V

The Empire with its hyper darwinistic meritocracy? I wonder when we will get to see the dark side of this moon.

Now imagine all the people who didn't have the talent and ambition to make it. I wonder what the Empire did to them.

I know I myself would have probably gotten sold down the river. :V

The Empire with its hyper darwinistic meritocracy? I wonder when we will get to see the dark side of this moon.

The Empire, as a whole, cared more about systems and adaptation than individuals, so it would depend incredibly heavily on where you had the (bad) luck to be from. There are systemic societal biases from how it engineered core components of society and life which heavily disfavored certain forms of government - extreme status-quo conservatism is obviously out, as are attempts to create 'true' post-scarcity civilizations where everyone is given resources to do whatever the hell they want - but outside of that, as long as it gave the Empire what it wanted in terms of creativity and resources (something that largely existed outside of the scale of even large numbers of individuals) and the group could actually defend or justify its continued existence independently without help, it was willing to allow such groups to continue to exist until they got outcompeted. The flipside is, of course, if you happen to be born into some place which decided that slavery sounds hella rad and hooked up your brain to the Matrix for their massive bitcoin farms or rigged you up with sense-recording gear so that every time you were tortured for failing to meet the quota for hand production of artisanal small-batch widgets they could also sell your experience of being tortured to curious folks for entertainment... well, sucks to be you. If their way of existence didn't have a point at their current size and stage of development, why haven't their neighbors taken advantage of this yet?

So you could end up in some sort of hellish 40kesque dystopia, or anarcho-libertarian chaos (remember to never leave home without your personal nuclear umbrella). Or maybe you get luckier and get to live in a place which is more like the Polity or a modern social democracy except the social media providers are much better at making you feel miserable if you aren't keeping up with the hottest influencers.

Of course, if you're in Fringe, things probably suck significantly more than average because there's no semi-stable equilibrium and as a normal average citizen that means a much higher-than-normal chance of being vaporized as the result of a real estate dispute. On the flipside, if you're in Central, you're probably in the upper echelons of the Empire and things get dangerous for you because there are real and quite existential consequences for fucking up and losing your position to hungry up-and-comers when you're talking about the folks who have personal and individual access to metric alteration technology.

Last edited:
I'm just always gonna pick the option where we can go talk to a dragon. It's like having an option to pet a dog.
I've been convinced. Let's go talk to the totally-not-a-pet Dragon.

[X] Doctor Lotus & her strange pet. The four-armed doctor has never been the most stable or most useful, but she at least might provide you some life advice to help you work out your anxieties. And you've heard she has a pet 'dragon' maintained inside a secure cube, a vantablack smear in the shape of a lizard...

[X] Doctor Lotus & her strange pet. The four-armed doctor has never been the most stable or most useful, but she at least might provide you some life advice to help you work out your anxieties. And you've heard she has a pet 'dragon' maintained inside a secure cube, a vantablack smear in the shape of a lizard...

I want to talk to Doctor Lotus.

[X] Celeste, in the Exofortress core. The onboard AI is as enigmatic as any being you've ever known, and yet you feel as though she's been sheltering you forever. Her neutral demeanor and robotic intonation sometimes breaks, suggesting something more ominous. Maybe in a time of crisis you might be able to learn more.

I'm too tired to comment right now, so this is just a drive-by voting. Thumbs up to DM Hidalgo, really enjoying his homebrew planets here!

I'm too tired to comment right now, so this is just a drive-by voting. Thumbs up to DM Hidalgo, really enjoying his homebrew planets here!

It's honestly weird to realize how much I rely on people's in-depth commenting and line-quoting to keep me going motivation-wise until people hushed up after this update and I was like "wait did I do something wrong" :oops:

But I realize the current situation being intentionally kind of "what" is somewhat harder to comment on.

Yeah as MJ said the hyper-aggressive meritocracy is mostly at the top and influenced by what new Arachne is projecting back. It was a lot more mundane depending on where you were in the middle, then potentially quite awful at the bottom. But basically the necessities of existence are more or less accounted for - you never have to worry about disease, real hunger, sleep, shelter, etc, and even regular citizens are functionally immortal. This doesn't account for those who were not citizens, at which point you're in a different very bad ballgame. That doesn't really have any excuse beyond philosophical differences treating those who don't interact with the tapestry as p-zombies with no free will at worst, and mere fragments of an actual person at best. Even the most well-intentioned basically see the goal to interact with the tapestry as a form of uplift, and it would have been unthinkable then (though perhaps not in the present Fringe sector) to intentionally not uplift people.

It also doesn't account for the top, where assassinations, deaths and turnover is fast. If the old Arachne was a high person in THRONE//NEXUS, the actual governing body of the sector, then she and anyone close to her would never have been secure.

That being said spiritual and digital sicknesses were more common, and the Empire's laissez-faire behavior to the actual person on the ground and the fact it basically just demanded you follow a UN-charter like list of rules meant that for most people the Empire just...didn't really exist. What existed was the local planet or city or system, and then above that whatever actual nation/corporation/gestalt was actually running and defining their local culture, mores, rules and customs.

As you saw from that FORCE//FRINGE dossier, at the margins and boundaries even a lot of FORCE responded to the Emperor's death with 'damn, that's crazy'. The Emperor was so distant and vast, and the Empire itself so huge, that it took a long time for the ramifications to manifest.

Last edited:
It's honestly weird to realize how much I rely on people's in-depth commenting and line-quoting to keep me going motivation-wise until people hushed up after this update and I was like "wait did I do something wrong" :oops:

But I realize the current situation being intentionally kind of "what" is somewhat harder to comment on.

Yeah as MJ said the hyper-aggressive meritocracy is mostly at the top and influenced by what new Arachne is projecting back. It was a lot more mundane depending on where you were in the middle, then potentially quite awful at the bottom. But basically the necessities of existence are more or less accounted for - you never have to worry about disease, real hunger, sleep, shelter, etc, and even regular citizens are functionally immortal. This doesn't account for those who were not citizens, at which point you're in a different very bad ballgame. That doesn't really have any excuse beyond philosophical differences treating those who don't interact with the tapestry as p-zombies with no free will at worst, and mere fragments of an actual person at best. Even the most well-intentioned basically see the goal to interact with the tapestry as a form of uplift, and it would have been unthinkable then (though perhaps not in the present Fringe sector) to intentionally not uplift people.

It also doesn't account for the top, where assassinations, deaths and turnover is fast. If the old Arachne was a high person in THRONE//NEXUS, the actual governing body of the sector, then she and anyone close to her would never have been secure.

That being said spiritual and digital sicknesses were more common, and the Empire's laissez-faire behavior to the actual person on the ground and the fact it basically just demanded you follow a UN-charter like list of rules meant that for most people the Empire just...didn't really exist. What existed was the local planet or city or system, and then above that whatever actual nation/corporation/gestalt was actually running and defining their local culture, mores, rules and customs.

As you saw from that FORCE//FRINGE dossier, at the margins and boundaries even a lot of FORCE responded to the Emperor's death with 'damn, that's crazy'. The Emperor was so distant and vast, and the Empire itself so huge, that it took a long time for the ramifications to manifest.
The Empire just doesn't really feel like a thing I could morally support.

I wonder why it was made the way it was.

I believe the stated goal was to create a state which would endure forever, therefore achieving victory over entropy. The whole hyper-darwinism thing is part of that, as whatever wins is "superior" and better able to survive into the future. However, given it was seemingly set up to collapse if the emperor was ever lost, I have to wonder how much it followed that ideal.

I do think I'd be a lot more sympathetic towards the Empire's philosophy if the Emperor himself had seen fit to follow it. Instead, they seemed to have deliberately set things up where if anybody ever managed to usurp them, everything that the Empire had ever accomplished would be burnt down in their wake, as opposed to being yet another step on the path towards defeating death itself.

If you were like 'man I love the empire' after this quest I would be very afraid.

The point isn't to craft a polity or setting everyone agrees with but an interesting one that provokes intriguing questions and which could conceivably exist (not scientifically but in terms of 'this is a legible setting despite being so weird', could conceivably be supported within the setting by people despite having aspects which are completely monstrous and abhorrent to us). You are absolutely free to look at the Empire and say 'yeah this is freakish' because it is.

Part of the purpose of this update was asking the question 'what if this character was effectively broken into seeing reality itself differently? What would draw her to the Empire? How would she see the world'? It's not meant to be a common or even completely comprehensible perspective and Weaver would probably be very bad at explaining it to you because as she said herself, she's bad at words.

(as opposed to our arachne who as we saw from the letter to hidalgo is a professional writer)

I do think I'd be a lot more sympathetic towards the Empire's philosophy if the Emperor himself had seen fit to follow it. Instead, they seemed to have deliberately set things up where if anybody ever managed to usurp them, everything that the Empire had ever accomplished would be burnt down in their wake, as opposed to being yet another step on the path towards defeating death itself.

I believe the stated goal was to create a state which would endure forever, therefore achieving victory over entropy. The whole hyper-darwinism thing is part of that, as whatever wins is "superior" and better able to survive into the future. However, given it was seemingly set up to collapse if the emperor was ever lost, I have to wonder how much it followed that ideal.

That's possible. Certainly a core hypocrisy @kellanved pointed out to me off-site is that if the Emperor was vanquished and the Empire died, then isn't it by its own philosophy deserving of death?

It's also possible that the Emperor tried to transfer powers but whoever killed them refused, and so that broke the system down. It's also possible that the system was set up for dynamic conflict which was based more on constant low-level and interpersonal warfare, and killing the Emperor was the kind of escalation which was a step too far and started a cascade. This is something that will be left more unclear because no one really knows how or why the original assassination happened. Everyone involved on every single side is super-duper-hyper dead and Fringe is the wrong place to be looking for answers.

On the other hand the Emperor if their ghost appeared would say "oh really, the empire's dead, then where's the dragon's corpse". Then you should shoot the talking ghost.

Last edited:
Frankly, if the goal was to defeat entropy hyperdarwinism was exactly the wrong way to go about it.

The whole point of evolution, after all, is that those that cannot adapt are discarded--at best cannibalized for useful resources, more likely erased. The loss of information is a feature of the system, not an aberration.

Frankly, if the goal was to defeat entropy hyperdarwinism was exactly the wrong way to go about it.

The whole point of evolution, after all, is that those that cannot adapt are discarded--at best cannibalized for useful resources, more likely erased. The loss of information is a feature of the system, not an aberration.
I mean, yes, but the preservation of everything wasn't the goal, only of the idea of empire. Things may be lost, but the goal was presumably to create something that could adapt to any challenge it faced, and thereby the idea at the center could survive into forever. It was also, as we see, probably not successful.

I mean, yes, but the preservation of everything wasn't the goal, only of the idea of empire. Things may be lost, but the goal was presumably to create something that could adapt to any challenge it faced, and thereby the idea at the center could survive into forever. It was also, as we see, probably not successful.
And what happens when the central idea is itself challenged? When the sharp knifes, seeking yet more advantage, turns inevitably to the one thing that binds them as perhaps easier prey than their neighbors?

If you were like 'man I love the empire' after this quest I would be very afraid.

The point isn't to craft a polity or setting everyone agrees with but an interesting one that provokes intriguing questions and which could conceivably exist (not scientifically but in terms of 'this is a legible setting despite being so weird', could conceivably be supported within the setting by people despite having aspects which are completely monstrous and abhorrent to us). You are absolutely free to look at the Empire and say 'yeah this is freakish' because it is.
Yeah, to add to this, even the best of the successor states are things that trigger a "nah, dog" response in people from the modern-day. Like, I made a faction for the GSRP that's best described as Doctors Without Borders (Armed With Nuclear Weapons) and I give it a fair bit of side-eye whenever I think of what its internal society is like. :V

And what happens when the central idea is itself challenged? When the sharp knifes, seeking yet more advantage, turns inevitably to the one thing that binds them as perhaps easier prey than their neighbors?

On the one hand yes, but on the other the empire did exist for a very very long time. So long that the history of the empire effectively is recorded history, that myths and legends are referencing early empire stories and events rather than our actually myths and legend even if the names sometimes line up. Not saying that it was a good or even necessarily honest and consistent philosophy, but it did last longer than anyone else as of yet.

Meme: Sorry for Being a Man by Ralson
13 months late with this, but,

DH: I am sorry, niña. My employer lost his patience. I had hoped to avoid this, so soon. So dishonorably. But I could give you no more time. Forgive me.
DH: I am sorry it had to come to do this. I tried to warn, to tell you not to trust me. If I had my way we would not be here. If there was any fairness at all I would not be the one to swing the sword.
Oh, another thing: DH does not know about ISHTAR taking control.

Last edited:
That's possible. Certainly a core hypocrisy @kellanved pointed out to me off-site is that if the Emperor was vanquished and the Empire died, then isn't it by its own philosophy deserving of death?

It's also possible that the Emperor tried to transfer powers but whoever killed them refused, and so that broke the system down. It's also possible that the system was set up for dynamic conflict which was based more on constant low-level and interpersonal warfare, and killing the Emperor was the kind of escalation which was a step too far and started a cascade. This is something that will be left more unclear because no one really knows how or why the original assassination happened. Everyone involved on every single side is super-duper-hyper dead and Fringe is the wrong place to be looking for answers.

On the other hand the Emperor if their ghost appeared would say "oh really, the empire's dead, then where's the dragon's corpse". Then you should shoot the talking ghost.
Something I think is quite clever about the setting is that The Emperor, someone intrinsically key to understanding The Empire, has been erased. The single most important, most powerful, most influential, most historical, etc. etc. is... gone. There is an "The Emperor" shaped hole in the audience's understanding of The Empire. Did they institute hyper darwinism out of cruel philosophy, or selfish pragmatism? Were they self-aggrandizing, or distantly glorified? Was The Emperor wise, wrathful, petty, greedy, generous, kind, cruel? Were they some created being? Were they given or somehow earned their position through some kind of pre-Empire organization? Or were they just the first lucky SOB to gain prototype Tapestry technology, and (ab-)used that to go a-conquering and never stopped?

We just don't know. We can't know. And just like how the scariest horror monster is the one you never see, the glories of The Emperor are all the greater and more mysterious in our minds for how we can't ever see them.

R.I.P The Emperor, King of Kings. Didn't even leave behind any legs. :V

Last edited:
Things may be lost, but the goal was presumably to create something that could adapt to any challenge it faced, and thereby the idea at the center could survive into forever.

I believe the stated goal was to create a state which would endure forever, therefore achieving victory over entropy.

There are some key misunderstandings here, actually. The core ideal of the Empire is that stagnation is death. Nothing static can persist forever, because it will eventually be overtaken by entropy. And then the Empire tried to cheat that by enforcing constant dynamism and low-level conflict, a perpetual war of ideas, so that it would be ever-evolving and avoid stagnation.

There is no perfect end-state, because if there was it would eventually calcify and shatter.

If you're noticing that there's a contradiction between this philosophy and the Emperor and Empire being a fixed point; well, the Empire broke with the Emperor's death. Who can say that wasn't always part of the plan?

The Emperor could, but they're also hyper dead.

Last edited:
Yeah, to add to this, even the best of the successor states are things that trigger a "nah, dog" response in people from the modern-day. Like, I made a faction for the GSRP that's best described as Doctors Without Borders (Armed With Nuclear Weapons) and I give it a fair bit of side-eye whenever I think of what its internal society is like. :V

Culture of Health abbreviated mission statement:

We will kill death*, forever, by resurrecting everyone and everything everywhere and everywhen. Everything has the right to life.

*(We will also make sure death's right to life is respected)

Last edited:

The Emperor was a lot more than a single individual - They had to be far more than that to be able to manage all the systems that existed to permit the Empire to function, to ensure that competition did not get out of hand and that monopoly positions were not stable - and did not go eternal and unchanging through the ages. If you took a swing at the Emperor and did pretty well, congratulations on becoming part of the Emperor. Perhaps that's not really the intention you had when you took a swing at the Emperor, because by becoming the Emperor and taking up Their mantle you are also restricted and restrained by the systems of state built around the Emperor that regulate Their thinking and judgment - but that's the price of trying to take on the role of galactic Emperor and enemy of the All-Devourer. You can't build that infrastructure overnight and you need it if you want to rule.

Back