THRONE//FRINGE: Normal Human Mech-Girl Quest

The Spaniard Executable Activated: Radical Ontological Refactoring.
Sacrifice the user's chassis. Change the genre.
Ooh boy, the fun ride continues. I'll say, while I did guess that Don Hidalgo's special weapon was some sort of ability to overwrite Architecture to make a situation turn out his way, I did not forsee Gundam.
... Can't wait for the Celestial Nail murder-hobo cameo.
Personally, I am most excited to see how hard-bitten Force Commander Ishtar clashes with the young and idealistic Pilot Weaver. I want to see her chomping on a cigarette or something. Or no, wait, she can't have a face. So Force Commander Ishtar...wears a mask all the time...to hide horrible injuries...that were inflicted on her in captivity by a mad AI, after a mission gone horribly wrong! I'm a genius!

Although I also think Celeste could give us some insight into the Celestial Nail, which I am looking forward to. It says something, perhaps, that in the new setting everyone is getting to play a four-limbed human, except the Nail, which is a computer system. It's something inhuman even by the standards of this setting. Perhaps not even sapient...Oh, wait:
>:: She is not yours to conquer.
Eep. And its ">" callsign is the inverse of Arachne's. Curious.
Oof. It's so strange to read the phrase "four-limbed human" that I totally misread it. It's like if someone said "five-fingered hands"; the phrase describes something completely normal in an unfamiliar way.
Fun fact: In Navajo, the generic term for human is bila'ashdla'ii 'five-fingered being!'

Eep. And its ">" callsign is the inverse of Arachne's. Curious.
I think that's old-Arachne, who we've had pointed out before as the entity that killed Ishtar and is dormant rather than dead.

I suspect she made a bargain with the source of the Nail, that the reason new-Arachne is around is a consequence of that bargain. Possibly a means by which old-Arachne might be trying to cheat that bargain.

One thing I don't quite get is why reality rewriting here requires large amounts of continuous compute to maintain? Does that imply that they are actually simulating what happens in that space, or are they running some sort of firewall on the edge to prevent base reality from restoring itself?
Is a rewritten reality able to contain all the resources which sustain it? What is the ultimate limiter here?
Ultimately, is variant tech capable of violating thermodynamics on a universal scale?
What stops the tapestry from expanding in all directions at ftl to consume the entire universe?

Tapestry can't be "expanding in all directions at FTL to consume the entire universe" because building Architecture is a difficult and intensive task requiring some extremely resource-intensive processes, and embedding it into the universe in a stable fashion requires even more resources before your Architecture can bootstrap itself into something somewhat self-sustaining, until then it's not super-stabilized. And more importantly, the farther away you get from functional Architecture the less you can offload the 'keeps your technology stable and functional' processes on outside power sources, which means you need to effectively carry more and more of your resources with you to do things like "travel faster-than-light."

Architecture isn't "reality rewriting" in the sense that you enter some lines of code into the command line of the universe or whatever. Architecture is an active technological substrate that is impregnated into the vacuum, which when turned on, can allow people interfaced with that system to change the rules of the universe in ways which enable some pretty sophisticated technology. Early Architecture was basically built painstakingly using some extremely high-energy physics systems to slowly, slowly nurture small volumes of space that could be programmed and stabilized. A Reality Engine, essentially, is Architecture that has been made quasi-mobile, but the costs of making Reality Engines compared to relatively fixed, static Architecture is that moving all your metric-alterations around is exceedingly complicated and computationally intensive, which is why Reality Engines tend to run only limited numbers of drivers and provide only partial support for all your universe-breaking applications. It's also why a lot of combatants made intensive use of exotic matter-derived components that only required Architecture to build en masse but were essentially stable even without metric alterations (and why you still have things like 'voidcruisers' rather than everyone going around doing magic at each other) - the more of your function you could offload onto stuff that would work outside of Architecture, the more viable it was to operate in hostile Architecture or dead space with no Architecture, which is where a surprising number of military engagements happened.

But to imprint stable Architecture into the universe's substrate, then to do the necessary diagnostics and stabilization adjustments, is a very difficult task. The standard Architecture APIs do not contain self-replication capability to drastically cut down on systems bloat. Instead, specialized logistics/infrastructure platforms like Weaver/Builders carried the necessary applications and components to install Architecture.

These constraints didn't stop the Empire from spreading, it just meant that spreading through intergalactic space is a slow and cost-intensive process. But that's a bit outside of the scope of this quest and Arachne's knowledge, unless the remnants of the Andromeda expedition or whatever have evolved into hyper-Darwinian honor-obsessed tribal warriors as a result of the fall of the Empire, colonized some region outside of known space, and are building revolutionary weapons of war to retake Central from the fallen techno-barbarians fighting throughout the territories of the Empire.

Which they probably haven't.

unless the remnants of the Andromeda expedition or whatever have evolved into hyper-Darwinian honor-obsessed tribal warriors as a result of the fall of the Empire, colonized some region outside of known space, and are building revolutionary weapons of war to retake Central from the fallen techno-barbarians fighting throughout the territories of the Empire.

Yeah they have literally no reason to evolve into hyper-Darwinian honor-obsessed tribal warriors. There are far better configurations for your societal-optimization algorithms if the goal is to promote internal competition and prevent stagnation.

Last edited:
Yeah they have literally no reason to evolve into hyper-Darwinian honor-obsessed tribal warriors. There are far better configurations for your societal-optimization algorithms if the goal is to promote internal competition and prevent stagnation.
Yeah, but they aren't references to Battletech like the kind MJ was making. :V

That actually was very informative, thank you. I hadn't realized how active the previous Arachne was. I guess the only question I've got would be whether the malformed vantablack dragon that burst out of us was the remains of our malware attack trying to escape, or a corrupted part of us forking off.

Neither! There is only one entity in this setting with the label Dragon, and the talons are Their tools of subordination and control. Ishtar mentions it in Update 10 and it is identified as a DRAGON//TALON in update 1 in the initial bootup warning.

Effectively, after the collapse, Ishtar gave herself over to the Dragon and surrendered control to Their Design, which she probably felt wasn't much of a loss given she was already trapped inside an Axiom weaver/builder. At least The Dragon had some kind of vision. As The Dragon is wont to do, it totally revamped her weaver/builder into a much cooler one with a fun makeover and some racing stripes.

Arachne killed this dragon-controlled Ishtar and snatched her body. Who knows why! (I do). The dormant talon tried to regain control on bootup but was ejected.

The Celestial Nail's role in this is quite unclear as it stands. It has a taste for souls, or at least it influences you to have one. Its originating quote is related to the biblical story of the flood, and it sits ominously embedded at the bottom of your subconscious. It helped (?) you during the battle with the Catalogue. And it said its first words of dialogue during the same battle. Its emission signature, such as one exists, is vaguely similar to the void cylinder, whatever that means. It emerged when you run your software to change your chassis, so it isn't tied to Ishtar.

Last edited:
Effectively, after the collapse, Ishtar gave herself over to the Dragon and surrendered control to Their Design, which she probably felt wasn't much of a loss given she was already trapped inside an Axiom weaver/builder. At least The Dragon had some kind of vision. As The Dragon is wont to do, it totally revamped her weaver/builder into a much cooler one with a fun makeover and some racing stripes.
That last part explains (I think) why Arachne's stolen chasis is so militarized with so many experimental features. I always thought that it was a bit firepower-heavy for what was essentially a worker-unit in a RTS game. Yes, firepower heavy given their role, even for the Empire. Or alternatively, I'm again failing to grasp the true scale and effectiveness of how things functioned in the Empire.

That last part explains (I think) why Arachne's stolen chasis is so militarized with so many experimental features. I always thought that it was a bit firepower-heavy for what was essentially a worker-unit in a RTS game. Yes, firepower heavy given their role, even for the Empire. Or alternatively, I'm again failing to grasp the true scale and effectiveness of how things functioned in the Empire.

No you have it right on that, I think I have remarked on this. Weaver/Builders are tough but they were never built to be militarized platforms so that was more to keep them alive against unknown enemies, not hold their own against other Imperial units. All these weapons systems and wave cannons are expensive and more akin to a hunter/killer, massive single voidcruisers built for fighting. It is something you must have picked up at some point during the collapse. Weaver/builders do maintain a greater capacity for alteration because they are frontier units, though, so there could be times even before the collapse where a builder could be kitted out.

For reference, a single Imperial hunter/killer could have killed you and Don Hidalgo in this fight without much effort though it would have been annoying to catch the Don. The Empire deployed swarms of them.

Last edited:
For reference, a single Imperial hunter/killer could have killed you and Don Hidalgo in this fight without much effort though it would have been annoying to catch the Don. The Empire deployed swarms of them.
...Hmmmm. Considering that the combat modification were something that the Dragon deemed useful for wrecking havoc to further the Collapse (or at least increase the survivability of a Weaver/Builder enough to be economical during that time), I'm now kind of scared what HYDRA-ISHTAR WEAPONS SYSTEMS & TRAIT CUSTOMIZATION will entail after it is restored.

...Hmmmm. Considering that the combat modification were something that the Dragon deemed useful for wrecking havoc to further the Collapse (or at least increase the survivability of a Weaver/Builder enough to be economical during that time), I'm now kind of scared what HYDRA-ISHTAR WEAPONS SYSTEMS & TRAIT CUSTOMIZATION will entail after it is restored.
I for one am looking forward to being one of the deadliest single combatants in this lawless region of space! Just think of all those guns as a nice fuzzy security blanket.

It retrospect the repurposing of Weaver/Builders kind of reminds of some on the crap the went on in 13 sentinels aegis rim.

I. The You You've Always Been
I. THE YOU YOU'VE ALWAYS BEEN
You fill the dronesuit like a second skin as the flight deck's catapult alarm starts to sound. Settings flash and eye-trackers settle in as you click systems on, arms and legs wrapped into neural string-violins. Thrusters flare and weapon flaps extend. Mass accelerator loaded, lightsword charged, kinetic shields activated.

Arachne Weaver, operational.

The launch of the catapult propels the taste of gravity to the back of your throat, pushes you up against your seat. The superheated plasma bloom of your suit's thrusters keeps it there, as you embrace the g-force with an exhilarating scream.

The indicators creep upwards and your vision shrinks. 5g/s. Your two hearts pump faster to discipline the blood fleeing to your limbs. 10g/s. Internal bladders inflate to cut the arterial escape routes to your feet. 20g/s. Reinforcing vertebrae brace against the deepening stress. 30g/s. Your reinforced rib cage starts to creak.

Peak jolt. You ease off with a throttling gasp, artificial ducts absorbing the welling tears within your eyes. Shaking yourself focused, you turn your shining blue eight-pupil eyes towards the view.

Illuminating the blackmetal surface of your dronesuit is a technicolor light eerily projecting from the Fractal Aureole. A rainbow pulsar of miraculous design, its harmless, mystic radiation still beyond scientific description. Everywhere nearby, asteroid surfaces reflected in the glow, drawn to the pulsar's alluring orbit.

You break from the moment's reverie, reminding yourself you're not here to sight-see. Screeching pings and distant thruster flashes indicate your targets, and Celeste pops up on your viewscreen, posh accent and robotic intonation alerting you to danger.

"Thirty hostiles, at six-point-eight-five Imperial klicks. Approaching Hive H rapidly," she indicates the exofortress on an abstract map with projected enemy vectors, "engage with formation."

"Catalogue," you identify with a sigh as you swerve your dronesuit to the approaching horde, darting irises mechanically analyzing target trajectories, shoulders slouched in practiced boredom. There's just no fun in killing insects.

"Affirmative," Celeste confirms your assessment. "Take point, flight-leader."

You click orders in flight-language to your two wingwomen, then punch it recklessly towards the Catalogue's formation. You swat away their viral missile volleys with point-perfect countermeasure spoofs, fingers pulling at the neural strings of your controls in practiced musician's motions, almost outraged at the crude simplicity of their mass-attack.

As you close you visualize them better, spot the outlines of their inappropriate grotesqueries defiling the light of the aureole. Inarticulated, gross, misshapen pale miscolored lumps with malformed appendages, they deploy in shoals to mask their individual weakness. Today, to take down thirty, you will need just three. With a relish that shows itself on the excited pursing of your lips, you turn on your kill counter.

One. Smart-missile launches ejected from your shoulder collide in the center of formation and destroy a drone, scattering the rest. You wedge yourself into their collapsing formation, a wolf among sheep. Two, three, four as you snipe a trio with aimed shots of your accelerator. Five, six, seven, as a group make the mistake of thinking your back is a blindspot before you swerve, turn, and fire three more, headshots piercing through their exploding chests. Narrowly, a laser-lance bounces off your arm, kinetic shield-hacks glowing red, and you reward the near-miss with a direct hit.

Earlier boredom is forgotten as you sink into the moment. Even insects can be fun to play with, you decide, as you pick off a drone's weapon appendage with an accelerator round then ignite your lightsword, gripped in both arms, prepping your thrusters for a charge. Weaving through the drone's countermeasure spoofs and electronic attacks, you dodge through asteroids you use as impromptu cover, and you idly wonder if it feels anything at all as you bring the lightsword down, bisecting it and kicking off its corpse as it detonates. Nine.

You survey the battlefield, hunting for a new target, when a blinding pain erupts in your skull, forcing you to double forward, neural link temporarily failing. From deep inside, a voice you cannot place but recognize:

<:: Why do you enjoy this so much?

Too late, you shake off the battlefield distraction to see a Catalogue drone hurtling at you, fleshy tusk extended from their arm. Panic shoots through your system as you scramble to move out of the way, but you don't have time -

A sleek blur rams into the charging drone, the glow of a lightsaber emerging out the other side before it explodes. As the smoke of the explosion clears, a dusted dronesuit twirls around you and an elegant android appears on your viewscreen. Her skin is immaculate bonewhite porcelain, her hair a ghostly green, the matching lime of her pupils contrasted against the pitch-black sclera of her artificial eye-lenses. Her thin neck is framed by her high collar-ruff, an extendable emergency helmet and archaic fashion item. A doll with gentle, artisan's soft angles, she takes two delicately crafted fingers, makes a 'v' up against her mouth, and performs an unspeakable motion with her tongue as she gets the kill.

Love you too, Diana.

"You malfunctioning , Ari?" Diana tries to bark, her silken voice poorly suited for the tone. "Wake the fuck up, sweetheart."

You open up your viewscreen, run a hand through your pink hair, glower dramatically. "Just distracted, Dy. Thanks."

Diana pivots as the two of you start a deadly dance, intercept an incoming missile. "Yeah, okay. I'm sure the Catalogue understands. Oh, you're distracted? Then I suppose we'll come back tomorrow to absorb you into the machine. Get well soon."

Offering only an irritated puff of air as a reply, you lead the ballet and Diana follows, a rotation around a central invisible point, moving forward, then up, then back, evading hostile interceptions and covering each other's lines of sight, herding the Catalogue's drones apart to isolated positions where they cannot benefit from force of numbers. The two of you carefully in sync, racking up the hits, watching one another's moves and responding without even a word needed to pass between you now. But Diana is too impatient and as she notices you're racking up too many kills for her to regain the lead, she starts to break formation, aiming for more risky prey.

"Careful," you caution, "they're pulling to an asteroid cluster, may be preparing an ambush." Diana ignores the warning, surges forward, and you follow, switching the tenor of formation.

"This is the Imperial way," Diana responds with lecturer's confidence, "always flexible, always changing, always bold."

"The problem is," you point out, as she pushes too far ahead for you to fully support her, "you're changing it to do something stupid."

You hear her snort across the comms link, but then from a nearby asteroid a swarm of five that'd dug themselves into the ground appear, and another two from behind a shadow cast by the Aureole, their positions invisible thanks to sensor jammers. You speed up, immediate vindication turning to real worry as one gets glancing hit and Diana makes a flight-language click for help. You're a bit too far away, though, and you see one coming straight for her, preparing its own beam-rifle, and a chill runs down your spine as Diana flails to intercept it-

An array of piercing lasers perforate the armor of each of the Catalogue ambushers, their bodies taking a moment to recognize the fatal damage before exploding. A third dronesuit appears, bulkier and holding onto a heavy prism-cannon in one hand an a circular shield in another. Next to Diana on your viewscreen appears a painted warrior with patterns turquoise and black around her gas-scarred cloudy eyes. She wears a ceremonial respirator that covers up her mouth and nose, a toothy bioluminscent smile carved between its tubes.

She moves her hands smoothly, the sign-words translated into sigil glyphs and then fed through as transmitted poetry to your neural link.

'Spider, distracted
hunter, reckless to a fault
water, flows just right'

"Very clever, Ix-Chel," you praise with exasperated sarcasm. Teaching her about haikus was the worst mistake you've ever made, given that on her homeworld poetic speech was a form of trade language bridging between isolated vaults. She has taken to it far too well.

Her eyes shine with awful and adorable smugness at her newest hobby that eases as her body language turns stern and stiff and she moves her hands more rapidly. 'Seriously, though, Dy, don't be so reckless. Please. We don't have our backups.'

"Miss Fussy Buns is at it again," Diana drawls as the three of you form into concerted formation, "I was...I was fine, Ix." Ix-Chel rolls her eyes and shrugs her shoulders, seemingly accepting Diana's graceless face-save, but a second later you receive a private message from Ix-Chel:

'she says she is fine
probably she shit herself
cleanup for the flight crew'

You mute your comms link with Diana so she doesn't hear your choking laugh, as Ix-Chel blocks an accelerator round with her dronesuit's massive shield, taking point for the three of you. It's an easy dance to swing into at this point, each of you able to expose yourself even in the heat of battle knowing that the others can catch you when you inevitably slip. Counters tick up and up and up as you wipe out the remainder of the Catalogue's encroaching swarm. A smarter enemy might have adapted to your tactics by now, but the Catalogue is dumb, and half the time doesn't even seem to be sure what they're doing here, as if their drones never learned to truly fight in this environment.

It's a strange thought, and one that disappears from your mind immediately. Of course they're bad at this - they're the antagonists.

Twenty-nine, the counter ticks, as the final drone tries to flee to transmit combat information back towards its home carrier. Diana is the one that gets last blood, as she fires off a fusion missile far towards the disappearing dot, and the three of you float amid the void admiring the diamond nova of the Xenoarchate-designed warhead as the last kill is confirmed.

"I think I finally understand the alien tardigrades," Diana whispers, awestruck, over comms as the nova's eerie blue light temporarily overwhelms the rainbow of the Aureole, "when they speak of the beauty of the bomb."

'Maybe you could join them as an Imperial liaison after the war,' Ix-Chel signs as the three of you begin your return to the Exofortress, pinging Celeste with a mission success notifier and the combat stats, 'you'd fit right in'.

Diana makes an affronted noise with her mouth and you giggle. You imagine the slender droid trying to keep her composure surrounded by a group of eight-foot long water-bear Orellans, each with a fission warhead launcher strapped to their back, as they gleefully explain their passion for nuclear weapons and why they just had to detonate that moon.

The idea is almost enough to shake your persistent and creeping anxiety, as the exofortress comes back into view, its wounded eight-point star configuration visible even from this far away. A successful sortie is good news, but you're running out of time, and there were too many close calls. The three of you keep your spirits up, but you're informed enough on matters of strategy and logistics to know the true state of your lines. You are running out of everything, cut off from Imperial lines, backup bunkers overrun. The three of you are the only pilots left, running yourselves ragged, starting to slip up from the endless sorties.

As one of your thrusters sputter and almost unbalances you on your landing approach, you're reminded that even your advanced Legionary dronesuits are starting to give out. Force Commander Ishtar is dull to your pleas for a surprise attack on the Illusion's cardcruisers before they can make their approach, and seems intent instead to watch and wait for them to come for you. Don't you ever hate that woman (and ignore the sudden snap of pain within your head as you think as much). The prototype the eggheads are working on doesn't seem quite ready and you're not sure if it will be in time. You're locked in pirate territory and who knows if they'll take advantage of your weakness to try and attack the fortress. The situation is, as Ishtar might put it in that 'don't fucking question me or I'll have my lion hologram eat you' tone, not optimal.

Your tilt your face-visor back to the rest of your drone formation. It would be a shame to lose now before you can receive your accolades for the role you've played in the war. How much you've given back. You all owe so much to the Emperor and Their grand design. To your left, Diana, freed from slavery as some submissive ornament and made into an exquisite weapon. To your right, Ix-Chel, exiled from the vaults of her post-apocalyptic world and left to die, only for the Emperor to save her planet and her life from the man-made poisons choking them to death.

And -

<:: And you. What do you owe to the Empire, that you like so much?

The voice returns, but it hurts less this time, and doesn't throw you off completely. Its question is curious, inquisitive, but not accusatory, as if it genuinely wishes to know. Leaving aside the clear malfunctions in your neural implants causing you to hallucinate a second person inside yourself, it's not a bad question to ask, and you decide it's better to accept it for now until you can get to the infirmary.

What about you?

---

How did you find your way here, as a FORCE dronepilot, fighting for this system that calls itself The Empire? Choose one origin.

[] Exalted Among Refuse. Born to a world that saw you as trash, detritus, excrement of society, you cower from the light. The Emperor thinks differently, and as they reach out Their hand and offer you a dream of true potential, they whisper a single sharp command: Rise.

[] Traitor to Her Class. Against abject monstrosity, against a society that places you in a position of power only if you will suppress the serfs that rise against it, the Emperor offers you a different path: Turn, and say together to the masters and the hand that holds the whip: No.

[] Built for Different Purpose. Crafted for a caste, made to fulfill a role, reduced to fit your task. But the Emperor sees your dreams, offers you the sensation of the new, asks what it is you want. Against the rules of your stifling clade, you break from tradition. And you answer: More.

[] Maverick Climbing High. Hero, legend, monster, riding on a confidence that takes you to the top, utterly relentless, superiors split on whether you should be elevated or executed. The Emperor asks: Who among my subjects can truly face the dark? Without hesitation, you respond: I.

[] Heir Aberrant. Cruel responsibilities, dull stock reports, moronic decisions, all weighing down on the princess' crown. Wouldn't it be nice, you ruminate, to just run away? The Emperor turns fantasies of escape real, whispers in your ear as you stand at the corporate castle's edge: Fly.

A/N: This choice is not just for Arachne Weaver's background in the context of the scenario, but will loosely reflect her actual origin and background in the pre-Collapse High Empire. Don't sweat too much on speculating exactly how the scenario choice maps to the real choice, and instead pick whatever option you think best resonates with you. Note that the Emperor's presence here is more metaphorical, and does not imply Arachne has a direct line to the Big E themselves.

Last edited:
[X] Traitor to Her Class. Against abject monstrosity, against a society that places you in a position of power only if you will suppress the serfs that rise against it, the Emperor offers you a different path: Turn, and say together to the masters and the hand that holds the whip: No.

surely, the empire says, my new foundling will not tire of the race to endless maxima on the road of skulls. totally

[X] Heir Aberrant. Cruel responsibilities, dull stock reports, moronic decisions, all weighing down on the princess' crown. Wouldn't it be nice, you ruminate, to just run away? The Emperor turns fantasies of escape real, whispers in your ear as you stand at the corporate castle's edge: Fly.

Argh, I'm torn, almost want to go for Traitor, but my heart knows but one choice.

[X] Heir Aberrant. Cruel responsibilities, dull stock reports, moronic decisions, all weighing down on the princess' crown. Wouldn't it be nice, you ruminate, to just run away? The Emperor turns fantasies of escape real, whispers in your ear as you stand at the corporate castle's edge: Fly.

[X] Built for Different Purpose. Crafted for a caste, made to fulfill a role, reduced to fit your task. But the Emperor sees your dreams, offers you the sensation of the new, asks what it is you want. Against the rules of your stifling clade, you break from tradition. And you answer: More.

I like this one. To grow and expand beyond the rote roles assigned to Arachne, to be something more. This calls to me.

[X] Built for Different Purpose. Crafted for a caste, made to fulfill a role, reduced to fit your task. But the Emperor sees your dreams, offers you the sensation of the new, asks what it is you want. Against the rules of your stifling clade, you break from tradition. And you answer: More.

Back