Its initial rating was just review bombing by the pixeltruppen brigade.

Not having to micro wars is good, actually. The front system need some improvement but the idea is one someone really needed to have at some point considering how bad troop micro gets in paradox games and this being the most appropriate one to move away from it.

Does it deserve a perfect rating? Hell no. The game is an engine more than a complete experience right now. But as a national economy simulator, it's very sound and that by itself deserves more than mixed considering how challenging that is to do well.

'sfunny.

Most of the hatedom I see on the official forums is people pissing and whining that the game that was announced as not having tin soldiers/cardboard chits to push around the map...

... doesn't have tin soldiers/cardboard chits to push around the map.

I mean, I have very low expectations for Steam reviewers at this point.

I can't count how many times I've seen a game released into Early Access complete with a full-screen warning that the game is buggy and unfinished, only for it to receive a barrage of negative reviews complaining that the game is BUGGY and UNFINISHED.

Its initial rating was just review bombing by the pixeltruppen brigade.

Not having to micro wars is good, actually. The front system need some improvement but the idea is one someone really needed to have at some point considering how bad troop micro gets in paradox games and this being the most appropriate one to move away from it.

Does it deserve a perfect rating? Hell no. The game is an engine more than a complete experience right now. But as a national economy simulator, it's very sound and that by itself deserves more than mixed considering how challenging that is to do well.
The entire military system is straight up worse, it requires nearly the same amount of micro if you get into a larger war with little feedback and now ways to fix anything. I'm not even going to touch on the naval system because it might as well not exist, during one of the most important and interesting eras of naval development.

And yeah as a national economy simulator it's very sound, when it works. Because the AI is so bad that you need to wage massive wars of conquest to be able to get oil derricks and rubber plantations built. And that's just when the AI doesn't do things like delete all of it's ports.

To summarize my own reasons for uninstalling after about 20 tutorial runs and 10 actual runs as various nations (Netherlands, Belgium, Sweden, Serbia, Wallachia, Greece, etc).

- War and handling the aftermath of war isn't fun. Maybe it was because I mostly played smaller nations, hoping to develop them into something bigger. But actually affording a modern army (even line infantry in some cases) tended to be an issue, even without using it.
- Lack of flavor. Aside from a small mission tree about the Megali idea with Greece everyone just plays the same. Just with different starting reforms and resources.
- As someone who has been playing Paradox's titles for over a decade now, like hell I'm trusting a Paradox AI to keep my economy afloat.

Last edited:
To summarize my own reasons for uninstalling after about 20 tutorial runs and 10 actual runs as various nations (Netherlands, Belgium, Sweden, Serbia, Wallachia, Greece, etc).

- War and handling the aftermath of war isn't fun. Maybe it was because I mostly played smaller nations, hoping to develop them into something bigger. But actually affording a modern army (even line infantry in some cases) tended to be an issue, even without using it.
- Lack of flavor. Aside from a small mission tree about the Megali idea with Greece everyone just plays the same. Just with different starting reforms en resources.
- As someone who has been playing Paradox's titles for over a decade now, like hell I'm trusting a Paradox AI to keep my economy afloat.

The good news is that flavor is the easiest thing to add through content packs so that should help in the future.

The bad news is that rewriting the stuff around war (not just combat but plays and their resolution) is going to be pretty hard. It's honestly one of the biggest pdox game issues shared across them.

The 1.2 open beta has been fun, but I'm a wierdo who enjoyed even the early stuff.

So it's a peaceful 1918 or so until there's a fascist revolt in France. I (Spain), Prussia, and America take offense to this, but I'm still a bit concerned because Fascist France has the lion's share of the French mainland - and therefore the troops - and I'm not sure if the Spanish military is quite up with the times yet.

Turns out Fascist France was just pulling a massive 'does this remind you of anything': Their troops are all conscripts with no guns who melt away in the face of any defensive line at all, and to make matters worse their generals all have kidney stones. The Prussian defence of Alsace-Lorraine started outnumbered 2:1 and won by inflicting 10:1 casualties; similar scenes in Picardy and on the Spanish border. Worse, they stuck with the Leeroy Jenkins strategy until they capitulated from casualties without ever capturing a province or even being attacked. It's funny until you realise the fascists spent a million lives (and probably another million maimings) and a hundred million pounds for literally nothing at all.

[Would play Antifa again]/10.

Turns out Fascist France was just pulling a massive 'does this remind you of anything': Their troops are all conscripts with no guns who melt away in the face of any defensive line at all, and to make matters worse their generals all have kidney stones. The Prussian defence of Alsace-Lorraine started outnumbered 2:1 and won by inflicting 10:1 casualties; similar scenes in Picardy and on the Spanish border. Worse, they stuck with the Leeroy Jenkins strategy until they capitulated from casualties without ever capturing a province or even being attacked. It's funny until you realise the fascists spent a million lives (and probably another million maimings) and a hundred million pounds for literally nothing at all.

Hilariously this is actually the IRL French plan for an offensive at the start of WW1 era. If Germany hadn't pushed, France wanted to send wave after wave of troops with no heavy artillery against German forts in Alsace-Lorraine.

Victoria 3 - Dev Diary #80 - Law Enactment and Revolution Clock in 1.3

Happy Thursday and welcome to the first of several diaries about improvements and changes in Update 1.3! Today we will cover changes made to the process of enacting laws, political machinations by your ruling Interest Groups, and the build-up to...

Devdiary time. Highlights:
Devs acknowledge that the law system kinda sucks, calls it three eu4 sieges in a trench coat
Big changes on how to enact laws
New law category that very much looks like the land ownership laws of OPBs mod
IGs in government now actually demand certain laws get passed so if the landowners end up in power it actually sucks
Revolutions and civil wars now have events associated with them, also you cant just cheese revolutions into not happening by try to to pass then cancelling the law they want every month

Last edited:
One Party State and Technocracy seem to be a lot of fun. They seem a good avenue for creating a despotic Command Economy state. Technocracy also seems like a good way to not have the PB die a violent death once shopkeepers get replaced.
There's also some options useful for non-dystopias I guess.

This sentence made me chuckle a little.
Technocracies will dispense with the inefficient and unenlightened notion of "democracy" altogether, removing political parties, cancelling elections, and ruling in a fashion similar to Autocracies, Anarchies, and Oligarchies.
I know they meant it in term of game mechanic, but the idea that anarchy is the same type of government as autocracy and oligarchy is just so funny.

Technocracy also seems like a good way to not have the PB die a violent death once shopkeepers get replaced.
But why would you not want PB to be dead?

Apparently the mechanics are part of the next update for free, it's the flavor stuff that'll be part of the pack.

I played this game again (I can't play often because Pdox games have no clear stopping points leading to 16 hour sessions broken up by sleep until I finish campaign which is bad) and lol that I could complete an Ottomans campaign, get their specific achievement (#1 power and have level 5 healthcare) and have the highest GDP by a bunch but not get the economic dominance objective because I couldn't lower the price of steel and iron. Well, maybe I did at earlier points, but until I got oil-fired power plants my coal price was always too high.

My only previous game was on launch and either Argentina has a way easier time politically (less landlord power at start?) or the changes since launch have made reforming economic laws much harder (assuming you don't cheese civil wars).

Researching mutual funds no longer thanos snapping landlord power away is the biggest change from launch. Autonomous investment is also another big change because art academies contribute to landlord power until realism is researched and there's a tendency for the investment to build up farms and plantations.

Has Paradox finally fixed how Victoria III handles colonies?

I've played exactly one game of Victoria III, unfinished, but fairly long-running. At first, it was really satsifying to play a grand strategy game where I could measure success in something other than "amount of territory conquered".
I played as Haiti, and I managed to both get out of the downward spiral the place is in at the game's start, as well as to eventually achieve a quality of life for my people at least equal to, if not superior to that enjoyed by most European populations.

And then I realized, that the same was true of the British African colonies... and the French... and actually just about any place in the world colonized by a European power. Under the Victoria III economic system, the White Man's Burden ideology is objectively correct. Getting colonized really is the best thing that can happen to an undeveloped nation. Quality of life will almost inevitably skyrocket as a result of becoming part of the colonizer's economic sphere.

Realizing that sucked all the fun right out of the game for me.

If I play as an undeveloped nation and manage to develop it to be on par or better than the established powers, I want it to be an hard-fought achievement. And if I play as an established power with colonies, and I genuinely invest in and develop those colonies rather than suppressing and exploiting them, I want it to be a major strategic sacrifice with a long-term payoff to match. Sadly, Victoria 3 did not deliver when it comes to that, instead delivering unintentional colonialist propaganda.

Last edited:
Back