For your Streaming/Patreon/Original Fiction Needs
So, to make sure everyone knows (and though I know it might be a bit annoying to have it always present) I'm sticky-ing this post with...pretty much all the info. If the sticky-situation annoys folks, I'll get around to removing it after a week circa. By that time, everyone who might have missed any of the 'info' will have been filled in, and the new recruits-ahem, cultist-ahem, readers will eventually learn it through osmosis.

Streaming:

Offer me a coffee or something:

Patreon:
Patreon
Ko-Fi:
Ko-Fi

Original Fiction Links:
Amazon.
www.amazon.com

Alberto Catellani: books, biography, latest update

Follow Alberto Catellani and explore their bibliography from Amazon.com's Alberto Catellani Author Page.
Smashwords.
www.smashwords.com

Alberto Catellani

Draft2Digital (multiple book libraries)

Find me on Discord:

Unisciti al server di Discord Shadenight123Chat!

Dai un'occhiata alla community di Shadenight123Chat su Discord: spassatela con altri 167 membri e goditi la chat vocale e testuale gratuita.
Twitter:
Facebook:
www.facebook.com

Shadenight123

Shadenight123. 74 likes. Shadenight123 facebook page, because why the hell not.

Last edited:
Damn he really went all eldritch/fey like on them, twisting words and meanings while telling the truth the entire time!

Though anyone know where the nameless one is from? I'm unfamiliar with it

One should never underestimate the power of words, especially on Aberi-Toril. Why, a bard (a Nameless one, if memory doesn't fail me) once defeated/blackmailed an Illithid God with a brainworm of a melody - a version of the song that never ends, only it adds a new canon with each repetition. Infinitely.

One should never underestimate the power of words, especially on Aberi-Toril. Why, a bard (a Nameless one, if memory doesn't fail me) once defeated/blackmailed an Illithid God with a brainworm of a melody - a version of the song that never ends, only it adds a new canon with each repetition. Infinitely.

Hush now. They might find too much. ;)
Finder is the patron to all those who seek to change and transform art, to renew art. He also has some limited power over the decay and rebirth of living things.

Hot Take
-I give her what, five to six stones of weight? Maybe seven if I'm being generous...and look at you! Mighty strong Archdruid of this circle, twin blades, ferocious viper nearby...and surrounded by all these friendly druids-" I gestured around, "And yet, you act like a two-copper piece bully." I shook my head and clicked my tongue. "Shame."

I looked straight into her eyes. My gaze narrowed. "Shame."
The burns that Shade is throwing out is incredible.

Nothing in the fic , which is well written, is a as good as the sheer amount of YOU SUCK that Kagha just received.

My SV shortcut is on this thread.

I scroll down to check if there are any story updates. Normally, there aren't. But when I least expect it, BAM.

Shade comes with a new story.

Thanks for the chapter!

Shade's Gate Part Six [Baldur's Gate 3/SI]
Shade's Gate Part Six [Baldur's Gate 3/SI]

I could feel the weight of reality sink on my shoulders, or more precisely, gurgle from within my stomach. I was getting hungry. We hadn't stopped once since this morning, and while I didn't feel tiredness in my legs or feet, I didn't doubt for one singular iota of picosecond that I wouldn't, inevitably, collapse in a simpering heap of pain and agony when night finally came. But until that happened, I'd power on.

"We should probably try to get information about the Goblins," Shadowheart remarked once we left the cavern, while the other druids took charge of dragging the Shadow Druids' corpses out, probably destined for the closest compost heap, "Since you so generously offered us to fix this, Shade."

"I did not offer us to fix anything we wouldn't need to fix anyway, Shadowheart," I replied with a chuckle. "Where we're headed, we're gonna cross paths with them all the same-they came from the direction of the mountain pass, so..." I exhaled. "There's a couple of things closer here though that need our attention though-"

"We must quickly find my people," Lae'zel interrupted. "The more time we waste, the worse it will be. We must ask where they saw others like me."

"No reason we can't do both," I mused. "I can hear some music; and where I hear music, I see a chance to meet a fellow friendly Bard, bardically barding the bardest barded music," I hummed. "Someone wants to follow me?"

"Tsk'va! Enough words were spoken from you today, I refuse to hear more, especially if they are gibberish," Lae'zel snarled, clearly intending on going with Shadowheart.

"I would love a chance to bore myself to death, but I'll have to pass," Astarion said with a cheeky smile.

"I think that the trouble we are all in demands swift answer," Gale added, "I'm sure you can catch up to us, Shade."

I grinned, "Sure, I'll find you in a few minutes then." It wasn't like they could run away and go that far; I'd know where to find them soon after I handled the bits and pieces that Shadowheart didn't seem keen on completing for the sake of the Ceremorphosis countdown -which wasn't really a countdown, but how could they know? And how could I tell them that?

Hence, I simply trudged towards the source of the music. I avoided the spot where Volo and the bear were; I really didn't want to handle that just yet. Even so, I noticed Rath step outside and start talking to the closest druids, who began to cease in their chanting.

The figure of Alfira stood seated on a couple of pillows upon a large rock, pinching strings of her lute and attempting the song, "Dance upon the stars tonight-" she gently sang, but her words were drowned out by the screams of the squirrels nearby which filled my ears with something more than chirps.

"Enough with this!" a squirrel yelled. "It's horrible! Make her stop! Please, make her stop!"

I exhaled, and clicked my tongue in distaste at the small, furry animals. "Scram you lot, art requires time and patience...and agony, sometimes." Under my breath, I further added, "a lot of agony, though hopefully not too much."

"Gah! RUN! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!" the squirrels shrieked anew, and then hastily dashed away. I blinked at the screams of sheer fright from those small critters, but I reckoned they simply couldn't handle a critic to their own criticism.

Alfira, meanwhile, had stopped plucking strings as she had indeed noticed my arrival and my dialogue with the small creatures of the undergrowth.

"Hello," Alfira said. "Was I bothering you with this song?"

"Not at all," I shook my head, "the creative process is always chaos incarnate, and sometimes even bits and bobs of suffering and artist block," I smiled as I drew near, "What's eating at you?"

"This song," Alfira said. "I just can't finish it. Something's missing, but I don't know what-" she hesitated. "You look like you know your way around music-I hear it in your voice."

"Oh?" I blinked. "My voice's melodic? You're the first one who said anything about it." I chuckled. "Never thought I'd see the day."

"It's just-you hit the right notes," Alfira said, "Like, you're doing it on purpose, aren't you?"

"I'm afraid not," I said. "The mind forgets, but the body remembers," I muttered. "I got a bit of a case of memory loss," I mused. "But if you say that I've got harmony in my voice, then I guess I can help you out if you want?"

"I'd like that-I have her-I have a spare lute," Alfira muttered, "We can pluck some strings together?"

I took a seat on the nearby rock, taking the proffered lute in my hands. It felt surprisingly light, and as I began to gently pinch a few strings, the music that the instrument emitted began to make sense to my ears. I didn't know whether it was intention or instinct, but something did most definitely guide my fingers across the instrument's surface, and like a loving father clutching its firstborn, I knew just the right amount of force to exercise.

"Dance upon the stars tonight, smile and pain will fade away~" I hummed as Alfira began to sing in turn, my fingers plucking through strings, witnessing my mind's eye find a path to follow across a musical sheet that was known only to me, and that I didn't even know could exist; it was like taking one step, then realizing that the second one was obvious, and then the third and the fourth; it was like breathing, as natural as blinking or staring at beauty itself.

Whatever this was, it couldn't be mine. Or if it was, it belonged to this new me. The old me? Tone deaf. Incapable of playing a stringed instrument -I did manage something on the piano, admittedly- and most definitely, I wouldn't be able to play and sing at the same time with startling ease, such that I could also think about other stuff while playing.

"Words of mine will turn to ash, when you call the last light down~" this time, I noticed that Alfira was no longer leading the song, but following it. She followed it with earnest gusto, because the words felt so right to her very soul; those were the words she'd have found by herself, after all, if only she had been encouraged to seek them out in the first place, rather than let another show them to her.

This triumph of creating this song was taken from her; forevermore, she'd think that she'd never be good enough to craft the perfection that this musical gift to her late teacher was. As my fingers moved, enraptured by the artistry of the song, and my mind screamed from the sheer realization that I was taking determination, triumph, the joy of creation and much more away from the Tiefling, I knew that I also couldn't stop.

Art demanded it be completed.

And I had to oblige it.

"Moon reminds me of your grace, all the love I can't repay. Rest and know that I will pray, farewell my dear old friend..." I dimly realized Alfira had stopped accompanying the song, and was simply standing seated, staring at me as I kept on singing. Word after word, tune after tune, string after string-by the time the last note, and the last word, and the last breath had been spoken, there were tears in her eyes and a wretched sob spilled from her throat.

She was back to that night when she saw her mentor dance under the pale moonlight, and all the beauty of that moment was forever etched anew in her soul. The pain and the grief of her loss was now raw and rubbed with the salt of reminiscence, and the smell of blood within her nostrils from the Gnolls' attack hit her mind like a freight train, drowning out the bile threatening to spill from her very throat.

She sobbed. The tears fell even as I simply looked down at the instrument in my hands, and exhaled. "Did I bore you to tears?" I said, kindly trying to crack a joke and break the atmosphere of sorrow.

"You sang with her voice," Alfira whispered. "It was like hearing her again."

I blinked at that. "I don't think I'm that capable," I muttered. "It must have been your mind playing tricks on you."

Alfira shook her head. "No, I'd know her voice-I'd never forget it. That was her voice. That was her. What useless apprentice I am-" she bitterly added, "To get their own mentor to come back from the dead to finish their own eulogy song-what wretched disgrace-"

"Enough!" I snapped. "You'd have finished this song yourself," I continued. "You'd have written the same words, sang the same tunes, played the same strings-do not belittle nor put you down! And instead of moping as if somebody killed your cat, I demand you practice this song a hundred times until you can make it even better!"

"Even that is just like her-" Alfira whispered. "You-You're channeling her, aren't you? You've got to be-can you talk to her? Do you hear her?"

I took a deep breath, and shook my head. "I am a fellow minstrel, Alfira, and I reckon that we do tend to be alike in certain things," I mused. "You've got skills. I'm sure you can be great-so," I gently rose and brought the lute forward, "Keep practicing, kiddo."

Alfira bit her lower lip and softly gave me a nod, before graciously accepting the lute back. "Wait, just a moment," she added, before hastily running over to a column nearby, opening a chest and then extending a hat in my direction, "take this."

"I didn't help you out for payment," I said.

"Even so," Alfira insisted, "Take it. It's been gathering dust since I got it, because horns and hats don't go together well," she smiled ever so slightly, and as the tiefling thrust the hat in my hands, I simply automatically placed it over my head.

"Does it cut me a dashing figure?" I mused.

"Probably, I'm not a hat tiefling," Alfira replied. "But now-now I think I've got enough inspiration to improve on the song-when next we meet, you'll hear it-my own improved version."

I smiled, "I cannot wait, then," and with a dapper bow while holding the hat in one hand, I wondered if I'd soon begin teleporting behind people while stating 'nothing personal, kid' while fighting with a katana in all-black.

I blinked at the thought. Was the hat technically a Fedora? No. No, it wasn't.

My way back down from the top of the cliff, I heard a different kind of music playing. This one was more...predatory. Vicious. Hungry.

"Oh fuck," I muttered, "the kid and the harpies."

Around me, there was just that useless Volo and the bear being questioned, while most of the druids had meanwhile stopped chanting and had left the ritual area unattended.

"I need a hand!" I spoke in bear-like voice to the bear nearby, "A kid is in danger by the beach! The harpies are hungry!"

The bear growled, "Silly cubs and their stupid timing-I'm being interviewed!" and even so, the bear roared and began to dash downwards, myself hot on its trail while Volo remained befuddled behind me.

"Shade!?" he all but exclaimed, but I was already running down the hill.

The winding path wasn't very long, and by the time I reached the end of it, it became clear that the harpies had indeed been inches away from snacking on a tiefling kid, if not for the big bad bear having intercepted just in time the closest one, who was now thrashing and screaming while in the water, gurgling and shrieking as blood filled the bear's maws and the salty sea shore.

"Run back kid!" I yelled at him passing him by as I noticed, within seconds really, that there were quite a few harpies that were now flying closer with shrieks and yells, "Get somewhere safe!"

The kid, admittedly, dashed away as fast as he could, but it just enticed a harpy who deemed him a tasty morsel to get on the fly.

"Tormentum!" I snarled in seconds, bolts of force striking wings and plucking feathers as the beast became a homing missile of broken bones and flesh, impacting against the sand with a sickening 'crunch' sound. The second one instead didn't seem to care much about her friend's demise and simply clawed at the spot where my head had been a second before, if not for the fact I bent down so hard, my knees threatened to refuse me further aid if I did it again.

By that point, the bear had finished the first harpy and was now growling and roaring against a second one of its own. There had been four in total, two were dead, but two more remained. As I began to skedaddle across the beach in an attempt to provide cover to the bear -in some way, shape or form- I realized that nasty gashes were making the poor beast bleed, the byproduct of the harpy's strikes, no doubt.

Now, if only I had the word for healing. Or knew how to make a bear inspired.

"I'm sure you'll taste like chicken once cooked!" I exclaimed, snapping one of my fingers towards the closest flying harpy, who shrieked in offense as something cut within her self-esteem, her expression now unwavering in her hunger and hatred towards the likes of me. She spun in mid-air and began to fall straight against me, claws extended.

In that moment, an arrow of acid tore through the air and struck the descending harpy on the side, marring its face into a mockery of skull and flesh, which collapsed against the sand with yet another wet squelch.

The last harpy screamed its anger, but did not choose to flee. An arrow once more well-placed took quickly care of her, and as the last of the creatures fell, I exhaled in relief.

"Thanks for the assist-" but there was no one on the ridge. Someone clearly had to have aimed and fired those arrows; but whoever it had been, they weren't there any longer.

A shy ranger? Perhaps one of the tieflings-or a druid? Still, by the time I managed to climb back up the hill and attempted to find either the mysterious helpful ranger or Volo, neither were present nor available for a quick chat. In comparison, the bear looked properly proud of himself, "When this is written, my chances of finding a mate next summer are going to increase!" he harrumphed proudly, "What manner of proper bear-lady does not cherish the thought of a strong cub-protecting-bear?"

"True enough," I said with a smile, "I thank you for your aid."

The bear calmly trudged away, leaving me with the unfortunate realization that I now had to play catch-up to the rest of the party. They definitely went deeper into the grove; probably where the other Tieflings were to find out about Lae'zel's friends. As they went that way, though, I also noticed a distinct lack of Wyll teaching the younglings. This meant Shadowheart had recruited him already.

My, if she moved fast.

While trekking towards the tiefling who had seen the Githyanki, I calmly came to a halt close to Ethel's shop. The hag wasn't there; she had probably already gone ahead too. Seriously, if I didn't catch up to the party soon enough, they'd get too far ahead.

"Anyone seen a bunch of strange characters moving together? Yes? That way? Perfect!" as I hastily began to jog, I finally, finally! caught up to them as Shadowheart had just finished telling Lae'zel to stand down and let her handle the interrogation.

"Shade-you caught up," Gale said cheerfully. "Wyll, meet Shade. Shade, meet Wyll, the Blade of the Frontiers!"

My eyes turned to Wyll, and I smiled. "It's a pleasure to meet you."

"It is a pleasure," Wyll said, a smile on his lips. "One more sword arm is always welcomed."

"My sword-arm?" I blinked. "I'm afraid I'm more of a tongue-holder, in the sense that my favorite weapon are words, my second favorite weapon is crippling self-doubt, my third favorite weapon is-"

"Lung capacity, apparently," Astarion mused. "My, I do wonder how long you can hold your breath. We should experiment-"

"Sorry Astarion, I do not swing that way either," I said. "Though if you want some friendly advice, there's a time and a place for everything, and this isn't clearly the right time or place-"

"We have the location," Shadowheart said, "While you lot chatted, we did the work," she added. "Don't make me praise the Githyanki, Shade. Be better."

I mock-gasped, a hand brought to my chest, "I was busy saving a child from harpies and aiding a fellow bard with her music, forgive me if my brief distraction of what, five minutes, took precious time away from-" and she was already walking. Lae'zel was also walking.

My shoulders slumped as Gale gave me a smile that said 'what can you expect, really' and then walked too. Astarion chuckled, and walked in turn.

Finally, I turned to glance at Wyll. "We should hurry up," he said. "There's a very urgent reason for why we are all in a hurry-"

"Oh, don't tell me about urgent reasons, I know them all," I muttered as I began to walk, "Wouldn't be the first time someone's urgently in need of aid and I provide it."

"I would hope so," Wyll said. "Unless your name is a calculated risk?"

"Why would my name be a risk? Is it offensive?" I asked, puzzled.

"Not to us," Wyll said, "but there is a God that might take offense. The Self-Devouring Snake keeps a tight leash on the names meant for his Avatars."

"I'm sorry, would you mind repeating that last tidbit?" I asked, even as I noticed that were already leaving the druids' grove behind us, much to my consternation at the lack of all the other side-quests that Shadowheart was clearly determined to ignore. Like, what about the adventurers' group that meant to leave? What about the goblins in the side-tunnel? Shadowheart! Shadowheart, do not focus yourself on the main quest just yet! There's a thousand extra things you need to do!

"The Self-Devouring Snake," Wyll said. "His avatars have been pivotal in many events in this world; some even hundreds of years ago. He has an altar at the Stormshore Tabernacle in Baldur's Gate," he continued, "And more than a few followers."

"Followers? Eh. Fancy that. What's his deal all about?" I asked, feeling doubt criss-cross itself into my brain. I couldn't be a God for the very simple reason that I was relatively certain I needed to go take a leak, and also because I was still hungry, and most importantly because I could feel tiredness creep in my bones, and I wasn't zapping people to death with divine smiting.

"Words," Oh no, maybe I really was a God, "Crippling emotional damage," seriously, Wyll? Was that really a thing? He was looking pretty honest as he said that, was this one of those things where I actually did do that, but only to evil people? "acting," eh, I could get behind that, "death as the end of things and life as the birth of new things," that sounded a bit too pompous for my ears.

Was I really all of that?

No. I couldn't be all of that. I didn't feel all of that. "I doubt that's me," I said. "Not a lick of divine power within my body."

"Ah," Wyll chuckled, "I knew it. When I heard 'Shadowheart' and then you called yourself 'Shade' I knew there had to be a more logical reason than 'Divine Avatar', I guess you were all part of the same adventuring outfit? You didn't get...kidnapped by the nautiloid, however."

"No, no I didn't," I said. The conversation died out as I needed to preserve my breath for the inevitable trek through more forest-Shadowheart, Lae'zel, please, have mercy on my legs!

But what I did know was that I needed to have a talk with Withers the moment we set up camp.

A very quick, very precise, extremely poignant talk with Withers.

What do you mean I'm a God!?

And why do I definitely NOT feel like one!?

Last edited:
I'd need to head to the misbegotten soon, see how their feelings of revolt and rebellion flowed now...

...and one day, who knew, perhaps craft a kingdom of those deemed lesser, so that never again they'd be oppressed.
Looking back on this, and with the Shadow of the Erdtree DLC coming out this year, I'm admittedly curious to know how little Miquella would be influenced by Shade.... and if Shade would more than a little intimidated if not terrified by the demigod who is described as being the "most fearsome" due to his sheer charisma and intellect.

Shade's Gate Part Seven [Baldur's Gate 3/SI]
Shade's Gate Part Seven [Baldur's Gate 3/SI]

As we trekked across the forest's thick undergrowth, following a dirt road that had seen better days while coasting the rocky hill, my mind sailed to a thousand myriad possibilities. Yet, all of those fell short to the pain I felt at the bottom of my feet. We really needed to camp, but I wouldn't be the first to cave in.

Gale was a wizard; he was meant to be the one with the dump stat in Constitution and hence the first one to get exhausted. It had to be! I refused to be weaker than the scrawny one!

"There's people ahead," Shadowheart said. "One of them is wounded-"

By the time she finished talking, and I put eyes on them, the dwarf was already clutching his chest and readying himself for the great beyond. Judging by the seriousness of his wounds and how Shadowheart did not deign him with healing, it was either a cold-hearted decision or the thought didn't even cross her mind.

Or maybe, another thought did.

"She's a true soul-Mind her-She-She-" and as the dwarf died, Shadowheart's gaze settled with a frown on the two survivors.

"What are you doing out here?" Shadowheart asked. "The wilderness' dangerous."

"We know, True Soul," the man spoke, "But we were looking for fugitives from the nautiloid's crash-the Absolute's will had us scour the place, and we ended up in an owlbear's cave not too far away-it killed our brother, that beast did!"

"If you and your party could help us," the woman said, "Then maybe we could stand a chance against such a creature!"

"You're alive right now," Shadowheart said, "You should just go."

"And-and stop looking for the fugitives? But-but if it's the Absolute's will, then we'll do it, True Soul-" and as they left, I watched with fascination Shadowheart kneel in front of the body.

"This better be worth it," she muttered.

"It isn't," I said amiably. "It absolutely isn't."

Shadowheart's head turned to look up at me. "What? You heard that?"

"Nope," I said. "But whenever someone kneels in front of a body and goes 'This better be worth it' or 'I must sacrifice this or that' then, clearly, the best course of action is to take a step back and just not do it." I hummed as I watched the small, crawling creature emerge with a sharp cry from within the skull of the dead dwarf.

"It promises power," Shadowheart said.

"All evil things promise power," I mused. "Seldom they provide the truth of how one will incur the bill of such power, usually through evil actions or things best left unspoken. And if I'm guessing correctly, whatever it is that you're hearing, if it's telling you to take on yet one more extra parasite in your head..." I chuckled, "Then there's one such thing as being obtuse about seeking to fight fire with more fire."

"Sometimes that is the solution," Shadowheart said. Her expression wavered still, "But it's so cute..." she muttered, looking down at it with a fond expression.

"It's a worm with rows of sharp teeth and tendrils which dig into people's brains and consumes them, subsuming their identity and destroying their souls until through Ceremorphosis only they remain, with a peculiar hunger for brains and sociopathy," I retorted, "Have I mentioned how Illithids are literal one of the few creatures that have no feelings barring sociopathy? And manipulation, and thinking they're the best and brightest until they get a Gith to stab them in the back."

As I said that, I did absolutely nothing as Lae'zel slammed her armored boot down on the tadpole with scorn, squishing the thing without a second's thought. "Tsk'va! We have to hurry," she snarled, "Do you not want to be cured? By tomorrow at this hour, we might all be in the throes of change if we do not find my kin's creche."

"We could have reached it more easily with more power," Shadowheart snapped right back, angrily.

"I'm all for more power," Astarion mused, "But I do not know if I want more of those things inside of me just yet," he smiled, "not without knowing more about the side-effects, of course."

"Shade speaks wisely," Wyll said. "About the trappings of power," he continued. "And we should hurry-if becoming an Illithid is what awaits us, we really shouldn't be discussing our next move, but acting on it."

"I, in the meantime, would absolutely love to talk and walk, and if possible, I'd like to have a quick chat with my fellow magical sorcerer," Gale said, confidently encircling my shoulders with one of his arms and starting to tug me forth, "We need to talk about what you know and if you can help me out," he whispered. "I had my doubts see," as we resumed our walking, with Lae'zel and Shadowheart soon passing us by, "But now I'm pretty certain if I ask, you'll just tell me what I want to know."

"And that would be?"

"You know about...my predicament, don't you?" Gale asked, "The one that hungers within me."

I scoffed, "Yep."

"Good, that saves me time. So-is there a cure?"

"Yes, and you won't like it."

"I mean, if there's-wait, there is?" Gale blinked at that. "Liking it or not doesn't really change the fact that it's still better than what I had planned, which was admittedly live and hope to find something somewhere that could help."

"Listen Gale," I exhaled, "I can tell you the steps, but you're the one who's gonna have to walk them. And you're gonna have to pick the staircase too. Because you have multiple staircases in front of you to decide from...and some are steeper and with more steps than others, and some lead to places you think you want to go, but aren't really the best, and others lead you to where you definitely don't want to be, but might end up going all the same..." I took a deep breath. "But the first step comes from knowing oneself, for if you do not know yourself, you will be open to others' manipulations."

I chuckled, "So, Gale of Waterdeep, who are you?"

"I am-"

"Tut-tut," I said, "Not now. Answer me later, at camp. Think it over. Give me not the answer you believe I'll want to hear, but the answer you believe you, yourself, needs to hear." I grinned, "And know that if it isn't true...I'll tear the truth out of your very soul, one word at the time."

And with that said, I noticed the bridge. And the river. And I knew that if I followed the river I'd find Karlach by the shore, but also - there was Wyll in the party. And I needed a gullible goose. Did we have a gullible goose? Gale was lost in thoughts. I needed to speak with Karlach alone first. Then, I needed to have someone see Karlach die not knowing it would be a lie. Then I needed to wait one night. Then Mizora would be fooled.

Would it hold? That was the question. I needed someone to witness the spectacle who could easily be fooled and deceived. Someone who put Wisdom as their dump stat. Someone so gullible, and yet with a tadpole in their heads. I needed a Karlach to witness a Karlach's death. Damn it, Karlach, why can't there be more of you!?

"By the way, Gale...what are the words for 'Feign death'?" I whispered.

"Ad victum mortalium," he replied. "But it would be remiss not to mention that-"

"Later, Gale, keep thinking about what I asked you to think about-Astarion!" I said jogging up to the vampire spawn who feigned his best not-being-a-vampire-spawn look, "Can I ask for your help?"

Astarion turned to look at me, and perhaps it was the seriousness in my tone, for he actually pondered it. "I am not carrying you on my shoulders, if that's what you're thinking."

"Just hold back a bit cause I'm going to take a detour of circa ten minutes down the river, and I might get lost coming back if I don't find someone better than me in tracking down the rest of the group," I said. "It's important, or I wouldn't take the detour. But it also seems like everyone has a fire lit in their ass-"

"Oh, I understand what you're going to do, and I guess when nature calls..." he grinned, "I make no guarantees, but I will take a leisured stroll."

And with that said, I was on a timer. A clock. One which had me dash as fast as my legs could down the river while Astarion gingerly excused me to the rest of the running party with his usual sarcastic wit about 'breeches being brown for a reason' and what not. If only I wasn't busy saving people's lives, or souring the day for a Cambion lawyer, then I'd retort something to those behind me. But as things went, there was only one way forward.

"Ngh!" Karlach was definitely in pain, and on fire, the moment I found her.

"Ehm...Are you all right, flaming tiefling gal?" I asked, only for her to hiss in effort as she stood to her full height.

"Never been better," she smiled, then she looked straight at me and blinked, "Fuck me, it's you! Ah-Today's a good day! The breaker of chains! I knew you'd eventually come for me too." She smiled, brightly, "Do you have an update on my case? Do you have good news?"

I blinked at that. I blinked at those words, and at the consequences that those words brought. "I...Well," I coughed, "I think things are taking a strange turn once more, but anyway, I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation somewhere, but until then-I'm gonna need you to play along. It's a plan to get some of your enemies off your tail-or horn in this case."

"Of course, of course-" Karlach smiled, "Been hearing lots of things about your ability to ruin devils' plays for years-always hoped you'd show up for me one day, to think it would be today of all days! Things are looking up!" her smile brightened, "What do you need me to do, exactly?"

I explained the plan. Karlach's smile dropped. I explained the reasons for the plan -namely, annoying Mizora- and her smile cranked right back up. With all the pieces set, it was just a matter of rushing back close enough to the road, and once that happened, to find Astarion lingering slightly behind the rest of the group.

The moment I came into the fray, I yelled loudly at him, "I found something!" I blurted out, "And it found me!"

"GRAAHH!" Karlach emerged from the undergrowth, axe and flames at the ready and swinging wildly. Astarion's eyes widened and then he ducked to the side, avoiding a swing that wasn't all too wide to begin with.

Less than a second later I turned, an Ignis spell striking her side with little to no effect. "Ah! Fire won't do a thing to me!" Karlach snapped angrily. "Hit me with your best shot, you mongrel! I am Karlach! And you won't get-"

"Ad Victum Mortalium!" I roared, my fingers grasping at filaments of weave that felt thick as molass, dredged up from pits of blasphemous existence and coalesced into a shape that reeked of hatred and death. Then, I slammed my fist straight against her chest and as the magic impacted, it sent her straight backwards, hitting a tree and then falling on the ground unconscious and -for all intents and purposes- dead.

Then, I gasped for air and wheezed. "I hate using that kind of magic," I muttered. "I'm a bard!" I said, "Meant for music!"

"What just happened!?" Astarion was aghast, "You-Her-this-I thought you went to take a dump!"

"I did!" I said right back, "But apparently I shat out a devil!" I exhaled, "She's dead now. Just check on her to be sure, but my spell should have killed her straight."

"It bloody better have-" Astarion drew near, and then knelt by the body checking for a pulse. "I'll be! This must be the devil that Wyll was looking for, a one-horned one, dead as dead can be. Who'd have thought you had it in you-you're quite the dangerous bard, aren't you?"

"That I am," I said with a deep breath. "Let's get...let's get back to the others. Enough excitement for the day."

And as Astarion apparently agreed, and we rushed back to the rest of the party, I now had but to wait the night and let Mizora show herself. Then, by the morning, we'd all be happily settled as a full-teamed party that-wait, is that fire? Why is the old town on fire? Did somebody set it on fire? Shadowheart, Lae'zel, Gale, Wyll-what did you four do while I wasn't looking?

Apparently, murdering goblins.

Quite frankly, I was surprised that, by the time I got there, there was still a building left standing.

Now, thankfully, no one wished to step into the cellar to find the Necromancy of Thay's book and the relative gem meant to open it, which was progress, all things said...

But apparently, they finally wished to camp. In the ruins of the small town. Surrounded by dead Goblins. Close to the well.

There's things in the well, Shadowheart.

Lots of bad things.

Oh.

Ohohohoho!

Something long dead rises from the deep oh Chain Breaker!?

From being punted around the multiverse, being punted around the planes now!?

Last edited:
"Ad victum mortalium," he replied. "But it would be remiss not to mention that-"

"Later, Gale, keep thinking about what I asked you to think about-Astarion!" I said jogging up to the vampire spawn who feigned his best not-being-a-vampire-spawn look, "Can I ask for your help?"
... So just how big is the dragon's maw that's going to bite Shade's ass for cutting off Gale here? :facepalm:;)

So Ad Victum Mortalium by Google translate means To the Death of Mortals so maybe Gale got it wrong?
Feign Death description is verbatim:
You touch a willing creature and put it into a cataleptic state that is indistinguishable from death.

For the spell's duration, or until you use an action to touch the target and dismiss the spell, the target appears dead to all outward inspection and to spells used to determine the target's status. The target is blinded and incapacitated, and its speed drops to 0. The target has resistance to all damage except psychic damage. If the target is diseased or poisoned when you cast the spell, or becomes diseased or poisoned while under the spell's effect, the disease and poison have no effect until the spell ends.
Doesn't feel like this happened, Touch of Death instead?

The Shadowed Ring Part 5 [Elden Ring/SI]
Looking back on this, and with the Shadow of the Erdtree DLC coming out this year, I'm admittedly curious to know how little Miquella would be influenced by Shade.... and if Shade would more than a little intimidated if not terrified by the demigod who is described as being the "most fearsome" due to his sheer charisma and intellect.
The Shadowed Ring Part 5 [Elden Ring/SI]

The birth of the twins was followed by the fanfare of golden praise. Their growth exceeded only by the will of their mother, and the not-so-silent disappearance of their father. Only I knew the truth, and only I hid in the dark.

A whisper of dissent in the Golden Capital, however, required silencing. For it was not one of my own, and thus, could not be allowed to fester unchecked and unguarded. Thus with knife dug deep in the belly of a covetous noble, seeking grace where little could now be found -oh, how harvested was the Erdtree, how soon would its fruits ripen and rot and its leafs begin to fall- I pondered on my next move.

I could visit. I had never seen the twins. The whispers were there, quietly lingering attempting to grasp at scraps of thoughts that were naught but bait for the great things beyond the veil of reality, but even as they whispered, I moved forth all the same through cobblestone streets and stairways, knights of gold shuddering out of their ways, feeling death crawl on their backs as lingering, malignant shadows clung to the folds of their mantles as I passed them by, nothing more than an unseen breeze.

But as I found my way through the palace, a shadow stalked me just the same. It trudged with the glint of black steel and the growl of feral mongrels, but even so it hunted and prowled and I ducked and weaved; in the end we met in a hallway far from others, and in that hallway we stared at one another.

"Shade of the Erdtree," Maliketh snarled, for that was the growl of his voice, "butcherer of gifts."

"I need no shadow to shelter my back," I hissed back, "Or strike it should I stray. I am my own path."

"And what a tortuous path it is," Maliketh rumbled, "Where do you head? Come to lay claim to lives too young to be a threat?"

"I do not kill children," I retorted. "That is a privilege I leave to the likes of the order of Gold."

"You forget yourself!" Maliketh leapt, and claws were an inch away from my face, yet they stilled. He snarled. His eyes trembled with the desire to rake and tear, but he kept his sanity and moved the claws away. "Even so, you are her Son and I will not strike you first."

"Noble," I whispered, "And yet you stalk me like an assassin would."

"You would know the gait of one," Maliketh replied. Our stares remained fixed on one another. Neither moving, neither attempting to leave. Our stalemate was broken only by the sound of a door creaking open, and a figure emerging from a nearby room attracted by the noise.

"You are disturbing Miquella's sleep," the red-haired young girl spoke, her voice crystal and clear as her eyes stared deeply into both of ours. Her words carried the command of someone unused to being denied, and her firm and resolute expression made it clear that she would challenge us both without fear should we not heed her wise counsel.

"It was not my intention," Maliketh growled, slowly slithering back insofar as a large beastial creature could while plated in dark armor, and as he sunk far away at the edges of the hallway, I remained standing. My eyes turned towards those of Malenia. My gaze met hers, and then dug deeper still. There was the silent bubbling within the flesh; the reeking, rancid smell of pustules and spores just waiting for a chance to burst. The Rot was within.

The Rot was scarlet like her hair.

"Do you know who I am?" I asked.

"You wear the garb of the Shade of the Erdtree," Malenia said. "All that lays beneath the dirt, in the shadow of false night, is yours." She hesitated. "I am told you are my older brother, a twin to Godwyn's radiance. You do not look radiant."

"I despise it, my radiance," I said. "Gold means naught to the living that eek by in the dirt, better they see mud and fertile soil than sterile gold."

"You speak funny," Malenia said with a whisper. "Still, Miquella needs his sleep, and I need to guard him."

"Guard him you shall. Do you wish for company while you do that?" I asked. "I can stay a little while. After you, I shall visit our other brothers in the city."

Malenia moved from the door, and allowed me in. In a corner, I could see the young Miquella asleep, deep rings around his eyes as if exhausted. Golden hair long and flowing till his chest nestled like a protective coccoon of sorts. He was peacefully resting, but even so he radiated an aura of kindness and joy, of love and peace.

And youth. Too much youth for one who was meant to be Malenia's age. The young girl took a seat at a nearby chair wrought in golden filigree, reminding one of a tree's many branches cast up in the sky. I sat at the other edge of the small table, upon which simple looking toys -if not for the fact they were cast in gold- stood.

"You mean the shadows gifted by the golden will?" Malenia asked in a soft murmur, "We were not gifted one yet to be as our brothers. They are meant to be like siblings to us-to guard and protect us on our path."

"Guards and jailers," I muttered as I drew near, "Trust them not. Should you stray from the path they deem righteous, they shall aim to strike you down."

"If they attempt to harm my brother, I shall kill them all," Malenia swore. "If you attempt the same, I will-" my left hand gently landed on her head, rubbing it affectionately much to her surprise.

"Do not swear death on me, child. You are my younger sister, and Miquella my younger brother. I will protect you both if you'll be good and kind to others," I said gently, "Godwyn would say the same."

My left hand dribbled as mercury-like liquid began to bubble and drip down on the ground, a small puddle taking on the form of a mimic's tear. Then, it grew in size until it reached the height of one of the toys made in gold -a horse, crafted with exquisite detail- but with the added benefit of being capable of motion.

She stared at it with something akin to joy. "How did you make it?"

"I did not...this is a mimic tear, a small one, meant to become anything it wishes to be..." I exhaled, "They are feared, for they are meant to break the cycle, they were crafted to imitate a Lord...by the Nox."

"The people you rule over, brother?" Malenia asked. "And you allowed it?"

"They sought a Lord to guide them," I answered, "And a Lord I became to them," I continued. "A kind one. For kindness is all that I can extend to them. Those who are the most in need...they are the ones who deserve it the most."

As the horse pranced around and moved, Malenia clapped her hands in genuine delight. It was such a small thing.

A neck snapped. A curse undone. A bloom wilted. A swamp never born. A carcass never forced to trudge on a small horse devouring the corpses of the madmen serving beneath its gargantuan size.

"You will do great things, Malenia," I said. "But remember that there is great strength in knowing when to fight one's battles...and when to retreat." I slowly stood up, "I must leave now. Our other brothers -the terrible twins known as Mogh and Morgott- would be sad if I did not stop to see them too."

"I do not know them," Malenia said, frowning. "Are they brothers to you only by virtue of your father?"

"No," I said. "Mother made them; Godwyn was born golden, I was born hateful and proud of my own will, and they were born misshapen and twisted by the curse of the Crucible. Omens, cast down in the sewers of our fair city," I exhaled. "Do not visit them, Malenia. And do not bring Miquella with you." I stared straight into her eyes. "They and their Omen kin will be kind, but there are other things down there -basilisks and the likes- which are not."

"I understand-" Malenia did not. She felt invincible. She believed herself unshakeable. She would be, but not just yet. "Miquella did not wake; I will tell him of your visit. Will you visit us again?" she asked.

"I might," I answered. "Keep my friend, it will guard you if you will let it. And it will go away, if you do not wish for it." And as I said that, the small golden horse twisted and curled, becoming a leisured white pigeon perfect for carrying messages across long distances. "And it will know where to find me, should you ever feel the need to seek me out."

And with those words I left.

Had I known how profound the effect on such few words I had uttered would be on the fate of the Erdtree and the shattering of the Elden Ring, why, a hundred thousand more words I would have spoken.

But those would be enough.

"I am Malenia, blade of Miquella."

"And if the Scarlet Rot desires my body, then the black flames shall scour it clean!"

Replacing the Rot With the Gloom huh. That changes a few things. Interesting that the Shadows of the Golden Order are so openly antagonistic, they are usually more circumspect.

Shade should consider himself fortunate that dreaded Miquella was not awake. He would have likely asked his elder brother to play "horsey" with him and Malenia, and Shade would have been too helpless to resist.

"Shade of the Erdtree," Maliketh snarled, for that was the growl of his voice, "butcherer of gifts."

"I need no shadow to shelter my back," I hissed back, "Or strike it should I stray. I am my own path."

"And what a tortuous path it is," Maliketh rumbled, "Where do you head? Come to lay claim to lives too young to be a threat?"

"I do not kill children," I retorted. "That is a privilege I leave to the likes of the order of Gold."

"You forget yourself!" Maliketh leapt, and claws were an inch away from my face, yet they stilled. He snarled. His eyes trembled with the desire to rake and tear, but he kept his sanity and moved the claws away. "Even so, you are her Son and I will not strike you first."

"Noble," I whispered, "And yet you stalk me like an assassin would."

"You would know the gait of one," Maliketh replied. Our stares remained fixed on one another. Neither moving, neither attempting to leave. Our stalemate was broken only by the sound of a door creaking open, and a figure emerging from a nearby room attracted by the noise.
Maliketh and Shade really hate each others guts.

"You are disturbing Miquella's sleep," the red-haired young girl spoke, her voice crystal and clear as her eyes stared deeply into both of ours. Her words carried the command of someone unused to being denied, and her firm and resolute expression made it clear that she would challenge us both without fear should we not heed her wise counsel.
Chibi Malenia is adorable and still Malenia.

"Guards and jailers," I muttered as I drew near, "Trust them not. Should you stray from the path they deem righteous, they shall aim to strike you down."

"If they attempt to harm my brother, I shall kill them all," Malenia swore. "If you attempt the same, I will-" my left hand gently landed on her head, rubbing it affectionately much to her surprise.

"Do not swear death on me, child. You are my younger sister, and Miquella my younger brother. I will protect you both if you'll be good and kind to others," I said gently, "Godwyn would say the same."
Shade out here trying to support his siblings and give good advice.

"You will do great things, Malenia," I said. "But remember that there is great strength in knowing when to fight one's battles...and when to retreat." I slowly stood up, "I must leave now. Our other brothers -the terrible twins known as Mogh and Morgott- would be sad if I did not stop to see them too."

"I do not know them," Malenia said, frowning. "Are they brothers to you only by virtue of your father?"

"No," I said. "Mother made them; Godwyn was born golden, I was born hateful and proud of my own will, and they were born misshapen and twisted by the curse of the Crucible. Omens, cast down in the sewers of our fair city," I exhaled. "Do not visit them, Malenia. And do not bring Miquella with you." I stared straight into her eyes. "They and their Omen kin will be kind, but there are other things down there -basilisks and the likes- which are not."
Good on Shade for telling her about her siblings.

"I understand-" Malenia did not. She felt invincible. She believed herself unshakeable. She would be, but not just yet. "Miquella did not wake; I will tell him of your visit. Will you visit us again?" she asked.

"I might," I answered. "Keep my friend, it will guard you if you will let it. And it will go away, if you do not wish for it." And as I said that, the small golden horse twisted and curled, becoming a leisured white pigeon perfect for carrying messages across long distances. "And it will know where to find me, should you ever feel the need to seek me out."

And with those words I left.
That's a really sweet gift.

"And if the Scarlet Rot desires my body, then the black flames shall scour it clean!"
Welp that changes things.

Replacing the Rot With the Gloom huh. That changes a few things. Interesting that the Shadows of the Golden Order are so openly antagonistic, they are usually more circumspect.
Yeah they're usually more restrained then that, they must really really hate each other.

So does this mean she still gave in to the Rot? Cause it sure sounds like it. And is now relying on. Big brother to fix things
The opposite, actually. It seems she'll arm herself with the powers of Death, similar to those of the progeny of the Twinbird and the Godskin Apostles. What better way to rid herself of the affliction brought about by a force of diseased/corrupted life?

Back