The Bloody Gates: A Penal Legion Meatgrinder (WH40k)

A dozen hostiles and an armored car (plus that sniper team we drove off might come back) is a bit of a hard sell for me personally, though I suppose we have the element of surprise.

A dozen hostiles and an armored car (plus that sniper team we drove off might come back) is a bit of a hard sell for me personally, though I suppose we have the element of surprise.
Considering we have a +20 modifier to Stealth before even accounting for the modifiers for our cover, I reckon we've got good odds of taking the car out of play before combat starts. And then it's a dozen hostiles versus our whole squad and at least two heavy stubbers.

Considering we have a +20 modifier to Stealth before even accounting for the modifiers for our cover, I reckon we've got good odds of taking the car out of play before combat starts. And then it's a dozen hostiles versus our whole squad and at least two heavy stubbers.
Having stealth bonuses doesn't really make an armored car any less armored. Sneaking up on it is like, step 1 of 3. I don't trust that we can reliably take out the armored car.

Fair point on the two heavy stubbers though. Most of them are militia too, so fairly fragile. Still. I'm leaning discretion being the better part of valor, here.

Last edited:
Having stealth bonuses doesn't really make an armored car any less armored. Sneaking up on it is like, step 1 of 3. I don't trust that we can reliably take out the armored car.

Fair point on the two heavy stubbers though. Most of them are militia too, so fairly fragile. Still. I'm leaning discretion being the better part of valor, here.
The hatch on the armoured car was also described as being open, so steps 2 through 3 would be getting onboard and getting a grenade or the like into the hatch. Celine's got a talent that adds a degree of success to Athletics tests, and one remaining firebomb from earlier.

I feel like this is very doable. And knocking out an armoured car while it's parked in place and unaware is probably the easiest it's going to be. There's no telling if it'll show up in a future battle if left alone now, and even narratively is probably going to massacre Penals for as long as it takes to accidentally blunder into a Leman Russ. Because if they're not any better equipped than our squads, they're not going to have missile launchers, either.

Okay well, what Smoop could do is pull security and spot for a stubber dude. Suppress the infantry support while Celine goes in with the firebomb.

If she fails the rest of us will have to try to get a mobility kill on the car - shoot out the wheels with concentrated stubber and las fire - while sending for heavier support. That means Jerad better not be in the assault wave because he'll need to beat feet to the rear if we screw this up.

I guess we're attacking then, at least my action is easy. Its the same as always, find a nice piece of cover to bipod up and wait until I need to start shooting :V

The big oof on that, but to be honest it might be best to back off for now since I won't be able to keep the sniper down for long before I have to reload. We might be best set to let em retreat.

The big oof on that, but to be honest it might be best to back off for now since I won't be able to keep the sniper down for long before I have to reload. We might be best set to let em retreat.
Yeah, I'm thinking along the same lines. I'm willing to give a little blind fire, but the enemy is quitting the field, so I'm not inclined to stick my head out. We have our HVTs we need to keep secure anyway.

@xjax1 Hey, I gave you back the voxcaster. Might want to call up command about our prize? If you don't want to, I guess I can. I got high charm and deceive.

I'll try to write something up, my current hope is that Celine will stay still and let them retreat and that the sniper is doesn't have the time or sightlines to hit her.

Dang, I will admit I wasn't expecting Celine to charge in like that. i assumed she would stay on the ground or find better cover.

Dang, I will admit I wasn't expecting Celine to charge in like that. i assumed she would stay on the ground or find better cover.
At least you didn't get your head blown off like Bellok?

I think I'll try to get on the Vox to report our valiant success and maybe request a medicae. Probably can't save Celine even on the off chance they can get here in time, but that's all I got.

At least you didn't get your head blown off like Bellok?

I think I'll try to get on the Vox to report our valiant success and maybe request a medicae. Probably can't save Celine even on the off chance they can get here in time, but that's all I got.
I'll keep suppressing the sniper then, make sure the goober doesn't try and get another free kill.

So should I be writing something for this next update, given Celine's current status of 'unconscious and on death's door'?

So should I be writing something for this next update, given Celine's current status of 'unconscious and on death's door'?

You can, if you want. They'll be stimming you (for the bonus to your toughness), so you can be awake if you want, though obviously in a lot of pain and probably not fully lucid (and still on Death's door). Up to you, since you don't really have any agency in this situation.

Back