The Bloody Gates: A Penal Legion Meatgrinder (WH40k)

Did I miss anything or anyone, I want to say theres at least one more person unaccounted for.
There's a few unaccounted for. Since he's the one left in our squad with the Command skill, hopefully Shephard will be trying to get the other penals back into the fight. Ramona, xjax's new character, is also kitted out for melee with a monoaxe, so she'd be suited for joining the charge as well.

I don't actually have command, but I do have Intimidate, so I'll try to scare the other penals into the fray and get those other ladders up.

47 fel, Charm, Deceive +10, Intimidate but no Command. Still probably the best person for it, can't be too hard to sub in something for command.
Oh, do you not? Alright, I guess I'll try a Piety test while I close into grenade range.

You can indeed, though at a penalty compared to Command or Piety. Deceive could also theoretically work, but it'd be a hard sell.

Multiple people trying isn't an issue either-I'll just add them as assistance to whoever ends up having the highest TN.

@greendoor I had an idea for what to do, but it's a little bit crazy; what if, instead of throwing the firebomb, I charged at Cravax with it in hand and punched him with it? Since it's basically, to my understanding, a molotov cocktail-style glass bottle filled with flammable liquid, it should shatter against him and leave him doused in said fuels, and then set him on fire.

Would that be possible, and evade the issue of hitting allies with the normal blast radius? And would that gain the benefit from Street Fighting for an improvised weapon?

Last edited:
@greendoorevade the issue of hitting allies with the normal blast radius?
I mean, It *could* but its also almost doubtless that at the very least your arm would also be caught by the blaze and broken glass, he's also a skilled melee combatant who can probably dodge or otherwise redirect your strike, so I don't think that would work terribly well, though it could surprise me, i dunno.

@greendoor I had an idea for what to do, but it's a little bit crazy; what if, instead of throwing the firebomb, I charged at Cravax with it in hand and punched him with it? Since it's basically, to my understanding, a molotov cocktail-style glass bottle filled with flammable liquid, it should shatter against him and leave him doused in said fuels, and then set him on fire.

Would that be possible, and evade the issue of hitting allies with the normal blast radius? And would that gain the benefit from Street Fighting for an improvised weapon?

Yes. It would work as an improvised melee weapon, and doing so would avoid the blast radius problem.

It will also almost certainly set you on fire at the same time (you'd get an Agility test to avoid it, but it'd be at a -20 penalty).

Yes. It would work as an improvised melee weapon, and doing so would avoid the blast radius problem.

It will also almost certainly set you on fire at the same time (you'd get an Agility test to avoid it, but it'd be at a -20 penalty).
I'm willing to gamble on that to set Cravax on fire, especially given that I don't seem to have had great luck thus far with my Chain-Grinder. And even at -20 it'll be a 20% chance to evade the consequences of my own actions.

I am noticing that the left flank is unguarded. Shame that the only person with stealth is Smoop.

@greendoor IIRC we had the ability to call in Battlefield Support? Since I'm the impromptu squad leader and have the vox, what are my options again? I'm considering trying to get a medicae up to patch up all those wounded penals near the wall. Not liking that we only have a 3-1 numerical advantage up there.

@greendoor IIRC we had the ability to call in Battlefield Support? Since I'm the impromptu squad leader and have the vox, what are my options again? I'm considering trying to get a medicae up to patch up all those wounded penals near the wall. Not liking that we only have a 3-1 numerical advantage up there.

A Medicae is possible, as well as calling for some of the nearby penals to provide fire support against Cravax instead of the wall.

Artillery and Snipers are out as an option currently, if only because you're currently partially inside an enemy city and there's nobody with a precise enough sightline to assist you (without killing you) right now.

A Medicae is possible, as well as calling for some of the nearby penals to provide fire support against Cravax instead of the wall.

Artillery and Snipers are out as an option currently, if only because you're currently partially inside an enemy city and there's nobody with a precise enough sightline to assist you (without killing you) right now.
Hey now, whatever happened to calling artillery down on our own position?

But right, Medicae. I'll see about calling one in.

Last edited:
STEN HOLMGARD IS DEAD

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq54jb_5WCI
he had a good run. thats the trouble with going melee unfortunately
i'll see about making a new PC later
Feel free to Loot his Monosword, Impact Maul and whatever other things he has on him @xjax1
as a fellow Psycho and with a last name with "gard" in it they are yours for the taking

The Impact Maul is essentially an iron mace thats good against Armor.

Last edited:
Gorn-Svend
Rolling for Sten's replacement... A priest!
i'll add lore tommorow
No idea what Piety +20 or the Litany of Fear talent DO but hopefully it'll be useful
LMK if i messed something up @greendoor

-Name: Gorm Knudsson
-Appearance: on the older side, scarred, Wild white hair
-Reason for 'Enlistment': Objected to a Holy Sister of Battles interpretation of a verse, was promptly whipped for his arrogance and sent to the Penal legions to redeem himself
-Demeanor: Your Personality: though old and well versed in matters of the imperial faith, he is nonetheless somewhat foolish and prone to spontaneity. Is otherwise kind and agreeable. A bit of a coward
-Background (Optional):

Background Roll: 38. Defrocked Priest: You used to be a priest, before you committed some terrible sin. One terrible enough to see you defrocked and forced into penitent service instead of a more dignified execution, but not one so terrible you are entirely beyond redemption. Does the Emperor still look down upon you?

Rolling for stats
31, 36, 31, 33, 40, 38, 33, 30, 30
-Ballistic Skill (Bs): 31
-Weapon Skill (Ws): 36
-Strength (S): 31
-Toughness (T): 33
-Agility(A): 43
-Perception(Per): 30
-Intelligence(Int): 33
-Willpower (Wp): 38
-Fellowship (Fel): 30

-Wounds: 13
-Movement: 12/20/32/48
-Fatigue Threshold: 6
-Initiative: 7

Skills:
Piety +20, Lore (Imperial Creed) +20, Charm, Dodge +10
Talents:
Litany Against Fear, Scholar (Imperial Creed), Language (High Gothic), Head Down: You may reroll tests to Dive for Cover and Duck Into Cover once if you fail.
Wargear:
-Armor: Imperial Guard Flak Armor
-Gear; Explosive Collar, Entrenching Tool, one dose each of Frenzon, Stimm, and Slaught, Physik Kit (Light Medical Kit), Helmet Vox Receiver (Cannot transmit, only receive).
-Weapons: Two Frag Grenades, Lasgun (3 Chargepacks)

Last edited:
Hmmm, what talent to pick up. Atm I'm thinking Iron Jaw or Nerves of Steel simply because the other ones don't seem to quite fit with the heavy stubber. Would you say one of those is what you would recommend @greendoor ?

Hmmm, what talent to pick up. Atm I'm thinking Iron Jaw or Nerves of Steel simply because the other ones don't seem to quite fit with the heavy stubber. Would you say one of those is what you would recommend @greendoor ?

You're not really great at either Willpower or Toughness stuff, so either would fit equally.

Personally, I'd recommend Nerves of Steel. It's more broadly applicable and you should be facing more suppression fire than direct damage if you stay back with your heavy stubber.

Sorry bout delaying my response, thought I did send something but apparently didn't. I'm thinking I'll go Nerves of Steel and Jaded, since both seem useful and fitting for my character.

Back