SV Original Magical Girl Crossover

Ayaka losing one part of her emotions in Nanase's creation could work, and yeah be a motive for her to get her back beyond just Nanase being her creation. Ayaka only being able to have one double manifested at a time could also be part of it. She'd eventually find out that she doesn't need to reabsorb Nanase to get that emotion back, it naturally comes back on its own due to her experiences in the story, but she of course wouldn't realise that till much later.

One follow-up question:

My idea was Midori would be framed, since if she and Kyoko collaborated then Midori would insist on taking Nanase herself (unless SpoopyGhost says otherwise). She may have done something in the past given her Role, and could've easily been there when Nanase was kidnapped. However, I picture her framing being done more out of convenience, given her suspicious Pied Piper Role and her elemental and colour similarities to Kyoko.

The issue with the whole 'Midori framed' thing, even if it makes sense, is it could risk padding the story. Then again, I imagine it wouldn't take long before people realise Midori's innocent.

Ayaka getting famous through invention challenges sounds good (again, if we go the entertainer route), kinda sounds like a broader version of Robot Wars (not to be confused with the Super one). And the idea that Mathurine was once Ayaka's mentor before she took away Nanase has real potential for drama. It raises the question of why Huli would use Nanase and not Ayaka as the conductor, but on top of Nanase winning the prize, you could also say that Huli feels Nanase would be easier to handle as a Conductor than Ayaka

I have some more ideas for Ayaka and Nanase to talk about, but I thought it might be a good idea to go back to the rest of the cast for a change.

So the next thing we need to establish is where all our characters are, and what are they doing at the start of the story?

To break it down into a few simpler questions, and to provide some more context to each question, let us consider the two teams separately:
  • Team Break-Out: I would imagine that Gloriana and Mathurine have been kidnapping magical girls from other dimensions for 2-3 months after Nanase is made the conductor, which should give them plenty of time to settle in to the new world, have their memories wiped, and perhaps make friends with others who were recruited in the same way. Either that, or the VR world is operating on "Hour Outside, Day Inside" rules, so your characters may be experiencing months of subjective time while only a week passes in Ayaka's world since Nanase became the conductor.
    • Where and at what point in your character's story did Mathurine find your character? What were they doing? Were they in downtime, or in the middle of an adventure?
    • Which version of Mathurine approached your character to invite you in La Val Sans Retour? I would say that characters who meet the Huli!Mathruine animatronic in the real world are more likely to enter the VR world via a portal generated by the Somnia Virtua Lyre that Mathurine plays, and they would enter with their whole bodies, whereas those that enter the VR world via a headset may leave their waking bodies behind and would meet Mathurine in their start-up/character creation area as the intro NPC to the world.
    • On that note, if your character logged in via a headset, what happens to the bodies they leave behind when they are recruited into the VR world? Do they end up at a hospital in a coma? Or do their bodies disappear from the real world when they are recruited?
    • Who actually recruited your character? Was it Mathurine who delivered the sales pitch, or did Mathurine take your character to Gloriana and Nanase for them to decide?
    • How did Mathurine/Gloriana/(Nanase?) persuade your character to join the VR world? What were your characters offered in returned for joining?
    • Did your characters join willingly, or were they forced?
    • For those characters who have not had a role yet assigned, what role would Gloriana/the VR world assign your characters? @ArlequineLunaire is suggesting that the role represents your character's true self rather than their outward presentation.
    • What does your character do in their daily life in their role? If their role is not a routine one, what is their last/most memorable adventure in the role?
    • Which of the other crossover characters is your character likely to meet? Are they likely to become friends/rivals/enemies, or just keep them as strangers or passing acquaintances? Would your character only meet members of team BreakOut, or could they meet characters from team BreakIn before Ayaka makes her move?
  • Team Break-In: I would say it would take a few days for Ayaka to recruit other magical girls for her cause once she decides to join in the world. Once they make the jump into the VR world, I would imagine it would take them a few days (or a couple of weeks if we go for the "Hour Outside, Day Inside" idea) to get their bearings before Ayaka makes her move at the tournament.
    • Where and at what point in your character's story did Ayaka or her message find your character? What were they doing? Were they in downtime, or in the middle of an adventure?
    • How was your character approached by Ayaka? Did she send magical fliers, or "messanger pidgeons" constructs that your character came across? Did Ayaka (with Mathurine's help via Somnia Virtua) meet your character in person?
    • Or was your character not approached by Ayaka, but figured out that they needed to go into the VR world to achieve their goals? In that event, it is more likely they will be meeting Mathurine, who will either bring them to an antechamber dimension where Ayaka is putting together her team, or drop the characters into the VR world directly and direct them to Ayaka.
    • If Ayaka contacted your character, how did Ayaka persuade you to join her cause? Did they volunteer unconditionally, or was it with strings attached?
    • When jumping in to the VR world, does your character arrive in the same location as Ayaka and the other recruits, or did they become separated, and if so, where did they end up?
    • As above, what role were they assigned by the VR world? And does your character try to fulfill their role to blend in, or do they break character in order to better assist Ayaka?
    • If they stick with Ayaka and the others on the team, how do they relate to the other characters on the team? Are they likely to become friends/rivals/enemies, or just stick to doing their jobs without caring too much about the others?
    • Would your character only stick with members of team BreakIn, or could they meet characters from team BreakOut before Ayaka makes her move?
  • The Tournament: @ArlequineLunaire is proposing that the first chapter starts off with a medieval tournament, probably in celebration of the completion of a "Living World" story mission (or at least that's the official excuse). This gives an occasion for characters on both teams to clash before Ayaka reveals herself. I would imagine, however, that Nanase and Gloriana themselves would not initally be present at the tournament (perhaps Nanase already knows of Ayaka's presence, and is dragging her heels to avoid being out in the public where Ayaka can find her?), so those characters who are close to Nanase will need to adjust accordingly
    • Where are your characters during the tournament? Are they joining as participants? Are they just spectating? Are they planning some mischif themselves?
    • If not at the tournament, where are they, and what are they doing?
Note that you don't need to have all your characters appear in Chapter 1 of the story. They can appear throughout later chapters of the story, as and when required. I would however suggest that we make it a rule that all of the crossover characters must appear and be introduced in the story before the midpoint, when Ayaka finds Nanase and makes an attempt at reabsorbing her.

Hope this gives you some food for thought!

While I'm not familiar with these stories, I just wanted to say that the moment I read the title of the thread, I internally did a little dance! It's so nice to find magical girl stuff online, and though I've only been on SV for less than an hour, I'm already excited to check all this stuff out. I have my own magical girl story, but I probably won't be putting it on SV. Still, this thread has alerted me to the fact that there's plenty of MG stuff on SV, and for that, I'm grateful.

Oh hey! I know you from the Nowhere Stars Discord! I go by IncognitoAlbatross there. But anyway, thank you! I'm having fun so far.
It's always so weird to me when I arrive on a place on the Internet and people have already posted my petition or stuff.

Makes it feel like a small world…

Neighbour went on vacation, temporary guardianship of the VR headset went to Hayate. Popped it on and boom, logged in, mind-wiped into becoming a normal town guard in LVSR. Chachua also tagged along but not exactly in a normal way; they're probably trying to find a way to wake Hayate up via the power of wishes. Exact specifics of what happened prior to going in pretty unimportant compared to "Hayate is now a fantasy guard and Chachua's voice can be heard sometimes, and there's weird knocking noises coming from somewhere". Leaning towards "body disappeared too", because it's the most sensible one for this situation, but depends on what's funnier.

I can imagine Hayate meeting all sorts given the town guard job, so it's entirely up to whoever needs to meet a town guard. Though given I'm still not super familiar with every other crossover entry (been slacking on the reading) I don't know who explicitly would hang out with Hayate. I have kinda come up with a vague dynamic with Ayaka though, especially if we're sticking with "Hayate is chasing Ayaka down for breaking into the tournament", or if Hayate feels responsible for Ayaka managing to get through security in the first place.

Thinking there's kinda an abrasive rivalry there, a bit of casual shit-talking between two stubborn personalities. Ayaka might call Hayate an annoyingly tenacious dog. Very blunt conversations. Dunno if Ayaka's aware of the mind-wipe but if she is, she could probably throw in a dig about how "when the hares are killed, the hounds will be stewed" (兔死狗烹).

Hayate just does normal guard stuff. No knowledge or capacity of becoming Eidola Strela.

Skiold was probably debating how he could do his job with Eidola Strela (and Chachua) and saw Ayaka's ad in the classifieds section of the local magical newspaper (exact specifics not important, we can pick the one that sounds funniest). Showed up to help out and also get into the VR himself so he can retrieve Strela. He'll likely tag along with whichever large group there is because it'll be more fun to write, tags along with the friendly teams, just having a good time. Entirely possible he could split off and end up interacting with the other side of the coin if that's how the plot develops but just broadly consider him a guy who's vibing until he can actually do his job (getting Strela to wake up so they can get out).

He'd be willing to stick around to see Ayaka's job through and maybe help her get along with Nanase in the end though. Kinda a very serious guy.

I guess he's been assigned Knight which probably doesn't really change much for him, except now he has to try climb up several rungs of the class ladder.

Yeah! There's a link to it in my signature, but here's the link just to make sure. It's also mirrored on Royal Road and Scribble Hub. There are only three chapters so far, but I'm working on a fourth. I also used to write a magical girl story called Shattered Stardust, but I sorta gave up on it a while back, though I do hope to go back, rewrite it, and finish it one day.
Thank you! I still need to read many of the other stories in this crossover first, but I do look forward to reading yours once I have the opportunity.

Neighbour went on vacation, temporary guardianship of the VR headset went to Hayate. Popped it on and boom, logged in, mind-wiped into becoming a normal town guard in LVSR. Chachua also tagged along but not exactly in a normal way; they're probably trying to find a way to wake Hayate up via the power of wishes. Exact specifics of what happened prior to going in pretty unimportant compared to "Hayate is now a fantasy guard and Chachua's voice can be heard sometimes, and there's weird knocking noises coming from somewhere". Leaning towards "body disappeared too", because it's the most sensible one for this situation, but depends on what's funnier.

I'd say that Gloriana is (probably) not yet at the stage where she is kidnappting random people indiscriminantely, and instead she would be a bit more selective, thinking along the lines of "what would keep Nanase happy", or perhaps searching for magical people seeking escape from the real world.

One idea that might have already been suggested was for Gloriana and Nanase to have a favourite NPC guard in game which they would often roleplay with before going out on a mission, despite the limited scripted interactions that the videogame has for the guard. Perhaps we could have Hayate create a character that's very similar to the guard, have Gloriana and Nanase meet up with her and do their roleplay routine only for Hayate to go with the flow and actively participate with their roleplay, which so impressed Nanase that Gloriana decides to kidnap her for the game. This would happen over the course of a few days in-game, which would correspond to maybe an hour in real-life. How does that sound?

I can imagine Hayate meeting all sorts given the town guard job, so it's entirely up to whoever needs to meet a town guard. Though given I'm still not super familiar with every other crossover entry (been slacking on the reading) I don't know who explicitly would hang out with Hayate. I have kinda come up with a vague dynamic with Ayaka though, especially if we're sticking with "Hayate is chasing Ayaka down for breaking into the tournament", or if Hayate feels responsible for Ayaka managing to get through security in the first place.

Thinking there's kinda an abrasive rivalry there, a bit of casual shit-talking between two stubborn personalities. Ayaka might call Hayate an annoyingly tenacious dog. Very blunt conversations. Dunno if Ayaka's aware of the mind-wipe but if she is, she could probably throw in a dig about how "when the hares are killed, the hounds will be stewed" (兔死狗烹).

Hayate just does normal guard stuff. No knowledge or capacity of becoming Eidola Strela.

I guess that could work. Hayate chasing down Ayaka, and maybe finding out her other collaborators in Team Break-in, would also work as the following chapter from the tournament chapter that @ArlequineLunaire is planning to write.

I'd say that Gloriana is (probably) not yet at the stage where she is kidnappting random people indiscriminantely, and instead she would be a bit more selective, thinking along the lines of "what would keep Nanase happy", or perhaps searching for magical people seeking escape from the real world.

One idea that might have already been suggested was for Gloriana and Nanase to have a favourite NPC guard in game which they would often roleplay with before going out on a mission, despite the limited scripted interactions that the videogame has for the guard. Perhaps we could have Hayate create a character that's very similar to the guard, have Gloriana and Nanase meet up with her and do their roleplay routine only for Hayate to go with the flow and actively participate with their roleplay, which so impressed Nanase that Gloriana decides to kidnap her for the game. This would happen over the course of a few days in-game, which would correspond to maybe an hour in real-life. How does that sound?
While Hayate is pretty alright at going with the flow, I can't imagine doing a full roleplay with any confidence unless it involves falling back on very basic responses. Eidola Strela and Chachua can make wishes come true though.

Last edited:
Okay, I have what may be a controversial suggestion.

I'm thinking we should drop the proposed plot outline and instead have Somnia Virtua be (mostly) episodic.

While this is a drastic change, I have several reasons for it:
  1. An episodic structure where writers choose their own mini-plot of the week would give them more creative freedom than if they had to follow a specific part of the outline.
  2. It would require less planning out, the overarching story now being a lot looser.
  3. Out of all the drafts posted so far, none of them have followed the plot outline anyway, which suggests to me a lack of interest in said outline.
  4. Many MG shows already use an episodic format, so it's proven to work and could be closer in feel.
However, we don't need to abandon the plot outline entirely. If writers are having trouble coming up with their own chapters, the outline could come in handy as inspiration for them.
And there should still be a 'final episode' in which everything with Gloriana and the kidnappings is resolved

Last edited:

I'm thinking we should drop the proposed plot outline and instead have Somnia Virtua be (mostly) episodic.

1. An episodic structure where writers choose their own mini-plot of the week would give them more creative freedom than if they had to follow a specific part of the outline.
  2. It would require less planning out, the overarching story now being a lot looser.
  3. Out of all the drafts posted so far, none of them have followed the plot outline anyway, which suggests to me a lack of interest in said outline.
  4. Many MG shows already use an episodic format, so it's proven to work and could be closer in feel.
However, we don't need to abandon the plot outline entirely. If writers are having trouble coming up with their own chapters, the outline could come in handy as inspiration for them.
And there should still be a 'final episode' in which everything with Gloriana and the kidnappings is resolved
I feel like this would bump up the overall wordcount pretty fierce, especially if we still got the outline as an overall main structure. I'm not opposed to like, an episode where Team Ayaka accidentally introduces the VR world to parfaits or something, but it might loose a lot of the focus and straightforwardness of having the plot there.

I haven't personally written anything yet because I'm still working through reading everyone's stuff, so I can't really talk too much about the drafts or how I'm writing with regards to the outline though.

The way I see it, it wouldn't bump up the wordcount if we did a bunch of standalone chapters and then had Gloriana's ritual as a finale, unless the argument is 4.5k-5k words wouldn't be enough to satisfactorily conclude self-contained chapters? Other than the ritual, I was only proposing using the outline as inspiration if needed, so I wouldn't call it a main structure anymore per my suggestion

So we have just a bunch of miniplots before throwing in the finale at the end, right? We slide them in between like, more main plot chapters that build up to the finale?

• Team Break-Out: I would imagine that Gloriana and Mathurine have been kidnapping magical girls from other dimensions for 2-3 months after Nanase is made the conductor, which should give them plenty of time to settle in to the new world, have their memories wiped, and perhaps make friends with others who were recruited in the same way. Either that, or the VR world is operating on "Hour Outside, Day Inside" rules, so your characters may be experiencing months of subjective time while only a week passes in Ayaka's world since Nanase became the conductor.
    • Where and at what point in your character's story did Mathurine find your character? What were they doing? Were they in downtime, or in the middle of an adventure?
    • Which version of Mathurine approached your character to invite you in La Val Sans Retour? I would say that characters who meet the Huli!Mathruine animatronic in the real world are more likely to enter the VR world via a portal generated by the Somnia Virtua Lyre that Mathurine plays, and they would enter with their whole bodies, whereas those that enter the VR world via a headset may leave their waking bodies behind and would meet Mathurine in their start-up/character creation area as the intro NPC to the world.
    • On that note, if your character logged in via a headset, what happens to the bodies they leave behind when they are recruited into the VR world? Do they end up at a hospital in a coma? Or do their bodies disappear from the real world when they are recruited?
    • Who actually recruited your character? Was it Mathurine who delivered the sales pitch, or did Mathurine take your character to Gloriana and Nanase for them to decide?
    • How did Mathurine/Gloriana/(Nanase?) persuade your character to join the VR world? What were your characters offered in returned for joining?
    • Did your characters join willingly, or were they forced?
    • For those characters who have not had a role yet assigned, what role would Gloriana/the VR world assign your characters? @ArlequineLunaire is suggesting that the role represents your character's true self rather than their outward presentation.
    • What does your character do in their daily life in their role? If their role is not a routine one, what is their last/most memorable adventure in the role?
    • Which of the other crossover characters is your character likely to meet? Are they likely to become friends/rivals/enemies, or just keep them as strangers or passing acquaintances? Would your character only meet members of team BreakOut, or could they meet characters from team BreakIn before Ayaka makes her move?
  • Team Break-In: I would say it would take a few days for Ayaka to recruit other magical girls for her cause once she decides to join in the world. Once they make the jump into the VR world, I would imagine it would take them a few days (or a couple of weeks if we go for the "Hour Outside, Day Inside" idea) to get their bearings before Ayaka makes her move at the tournament.
    • Where and at what point in your character's story did Ayaka or her message find your character? What were they doing? Were they in downtime, or in the middle of an adventure?
    • How was your character approached by Ayaka? Did she send magical fliers, or "messanger pidgeons" constructs that your character came across? Did Ayaka (with Mathurine's help via Somnia Virtua) meet your character in person?
    • Or was your character not approached by Ayaka, but figured out that they needed to go into the VR world to achieve their goals? In that event, it is more likely they will be meeting Mathurine, who will either bring them to an antechamber dimension where Ayaka is putting together her team, or drop the characters into the VR world directly and direct them to Ayaka.
    • If Ayaka contacted your character, how did Ayaka persuade you to join her cause? Did they volunteer unconditionally, or was it with strings attached?
    • When jumping in to the VR world, does your character arrive in the same location as Ayaka and the other recruits, or did they become separated, and if so, where did they end up?
    • As above, what role were they assigned by the VR world? And does your character try to fulfill their role to blend in, or do they break character in order to better assist Ayaka?
    • If they stick with Ayaka and the others on the team, how do they relate to the other characters on the team? Are they likely to become friends/rivals/enemies, or just stick to doing their jobs without caring too much about the others?
    • Would your character only stick with members of team BreakIn, or could they meet characters from team BreakOut before Ayaka makes her move?
  • The Tournament: @ArlequineLunaire is proposing that the first chapter starts off with a medieval tournament, probably in celebration of the completion of a "Living World" story mission (or at least that's the official excuse). This gives an occasion for characters on both teams to clash before Ayaka reveals herself. I would imagine, however, that Nanase and Gloriana themselves would not initally be present at the tournament (perhaps Nanase already knows of Ayaka's presence, and is dragging her heels to avoid being out in the public where Ayaka can find her?), so those characters who are close to Nanase will need to adjust accordingly
    • Where are your characters during the tournament? Are they joining as participants? Are they just spectating? Are they planning some mischif themselves?
    • If not at the tournament, where are they, and what are they doing?

Team Break-Out: Whether or not the VR world is working on sped-up time, I'm inclined to make a meta joke about how slow Something Wicked moves and say that however long Rose and Kyoko are in the VR world, they'll be back before a single night is over. Because that quest has 89K words and we're still not done the first week. As such, I'm gonna say Rose and Kyoko left their physical bodies behind in their rooms but people are unlikely to notice anything up. They were playing the VR game on gaming headsets and appear to have just fallen asleep.

The pair were found about two weeks into the story, so a short ways into the future of Something Wicked. Kyoko has been released from the hospital and is relaxing. Rose has begun testing her newfound fire powers but still knows very little about them. They have both transformed at least once, but they were currently in downtime. They met Mathurine as the NPC in the VR world.

Mathurine delivered the sales pitch. All she had to do was offer them the possibility of a new adventure in a new world like an ominous video game narrator and they both jumped at the chance. It's important to note that they assumed she was an actual NPC talking about a new dungeon and did not grasp the full implications of what she was saying. As a result, she didn't have to offer them anything, although she did nonetheless offer them 'your heart's desire', which manifested as Kyoko's long illness and Daisy's influence on Rose's life being removed.

They joined willingly but without understanding what they were doing.

In her daily life, Rose mostly wanders around, busking and playing music in various establishments. She is plagued by listlessness and wanderlust, so she's constantly on the move, searching for something that makes her want to stay. She drifts in and out of various places and is on friendly terms with most people, but lacks close relationships with anyone. Any other crossover character is likely to at least know of Rose, and she'll probably join up with any Team Break-In members she finds pretty quickly just because it seems interesting.

Kyoko's daily life, meanwhile, is spent deep in the swamp, gathering spell and potion ingredients and stewing in her grudges. She ran away from her magic school but her location is still probably known to the headmistress. Kyoko avoids people at all costs, but will help others out if she thinks she can keep her presence concealed. If her presence is exposed, however, she's likely to play mean pranks or cast nasty nurses before running away. The appearance of being a wicked witch is very important to her. Happy families agitate her greatly. Kyoko certainly already knows Yumemi due to the magic school connection and probably has a one-sided rivalry with Nanase. Please feel free to get other characters with parental issues involved with her, too, it'll be fun. 😈

Team Break-In: Zaiyu detected Rose and Kyoko being taken by Mathurine, so he and Sasori may well have entered the VR world earlier than the rest of Team Break-In. It might be interesting if they did--that would give them more time to establish themselves in the VR world, get invested in their roles (Zaiyu), and start figuring out what's going on (Sasori). Unlike Rose and Kyoko, they physically vanished from the material world to enter the VR world. Doing so would certainly be detected by various forces back in Something Wicked, not least of which is Zaiyu's immediate superior Shayin, so Zaiyu might be sending coded messages back to report on his experiences inside the VR world. If so, his reports should be technically accurate and informative, but also very funny. Feel free to use them to highlight how little Zaiyu actually understands about humans and how distracted he's getting from his actual mission.

Zaiyu and Sasori were also technically in downtime when they left. Or at least Sasori was in downtime, Zaiyu is technically always on the job and doesn't sleep. But he was still in the preliminary research phases of the invasion so he can justify heading off to explore a pocket dimension.

Zaiyu and Sasori did not meet Ayaka and may not even know she's a factor until she makes her grand entrance. That said, Zaiyu is an information specialist, so he should begin putting things together regarding her soon after. He and Sasori materialized near the castle in the VR world, as Zaiyu's role is essentially some kind of seneschal and Sasori is his knight escort/bodyguard. Their roles are meant to have kind of a chivalric romance vibe going on, with the yearning and the silent devotion and the pressing of plausibly deniable kisses to hands while passing on the stairs. Unfortunately, neither of them know what a chivalric romance is, so in practice the skittish Knight still has a tendency to hide behind the bold Damsel. They are still more or less inseparable unless Sasori has been sent out on an errand (or Zaiyu is making him invisible or temporarily imperceptible).

As getting lost in his role is Zaiyu's main arc here, he would not break character to assist Ayaka. He would, however, break character to assist Nanase. Meanwhile, Sasori is much easier to break out of character, but his loyalty is to Zaiyu. As such, he's unlikely to assist Ayaka due to Zaiyu's opposition to her. He could be convinced to help other members of Team Break-In if they phrase the suggestion as if it would help Zaiyu, though.

Zaiyu and Sasori are much more likely to interact with members of Team Break-Out initially, since they got to the VR world early and are passing as NPCs quite well. That said, they're both quite prone to getting distracted by interpersonal drama and spying instead of focusing on their jobs. Sasori especially is kind of at loose ends due to not really understanding what a Knight is (and Zaiyu not really needing a bodyguard).

Tournament: Zaiyu and Sasori will be in the stands with Gloriana and Nanase (and probably Amanda as well). Zaiyu probably helped arrange the tournament and is now proudly watching the fruits of his labours. And making observations on the possible threats and research subjects competing. Sasori was invited to compete but got spooked, so Zaiyu came up with an excuse to let him stay on the sidelines. The sheer amount of people around him is probably still wearing on Sasori's nerves, but he'll stick close to Zaiyu, and thus the others.

I'd admit I was a bit worried in the last few posts that we were starting to lose interest in the story because much of the development was going into the Original Characters for the crossover, instead of working out how characters from all our settings interact with each other, which I guess is the main attraction for this crossover. Moving to a more episodic structure with the characters doing their own thing would address and resolve the issue, for the reasons you'd outlined above.

The only downside of this change is likely committing to larger chapters as @Crimson Flight mentioned, though given some of the character goals posted, and what might need to cover them, I was thinking that 13 x 4.5k chapters was not going to be enough in the first place anyway, so if we were going to increase the word count for each chapter/episode, then it would be better if it was for an episode that the writers would be more invested in because they have more creative freedom on what goes in it, rather than following a story outline that not everyone may wish to follow.

Anyway, with regards to the episodic content, are you thinking these would be "prologue" episodes that happen before the proposed plot line? Or would it be more like interlocking stories showing each character's perspective in trying to achieve their own goals, with Ayaka and Nanase's storyline happening in the background (kind of like the interlocking stories in the Boogiepop, Baccano or Durarara series)? Perhaps we could have it that Ayaka makes multiple attempts at jumping in the VR world to find Nanase, and each time she joins in with different allies, but while her allies achieve their goals within the story, Ayaka only manages to make it one step closer to Nanase thanks to their help before she gets thrown out by Gloriana again?

Another question would be, would these episode be written by a single writer, or could two or more writers collaborate on the same episodes?

Thinking about this further, if we could lay down some basic rules/starting points for each episode to follow, it could be something like this:
  • Each episode must have two focus characters, one from a writer's own series and the other from a different series not written by the same writer. A writer may also decide to instead pick two characters from two series that are not their own.
  • Each episode must involve at least one of the original characters from the setting (Ayaka, Nanase, Gloriana/Mathurine, or Risa) in an important role to the plot.
  • The core of the plot should be driven by a conflict between characters. This could be either between the two characters from the series coming into conflict due to opposing or conflicting goals (say, one wants to help Ayaka while the other is charged by Gloriana to force Ayaka out of the game once more), or if the characters are allies, then their conflict will be with the original character (say, two Break-out members hunting down Ayaka). The original character could either be allies with your character and enemies of the other, or they could be enemies to both.
  • Each episode should either advance the main story by one step, following the outline discussed above, or should reveal one of the main original character's secrets (e.g. the ghost that looks like Gloriana is actually Risa, and Gloriana has taken her in-game avatar).
What do you all think?

I'd admit I was a bit worried in the last few posts that we were starting to lose interest in the story because much of the development was going into the Original Characters for the crossover, instead of working out how characters from all our settings interact with each other, which I guess is the main attraction for this crossover. Moving to a more episodic structure with the characters doing their own thing would address and resolve the issue, for the reasons you'd outlined above.

The only downside of this change is likely committing to larger chapters as @Crimson Flight mentioned, though given some of the character goals posted, and what might need to cover them, I was thinking that 13 x 4.5k chapters was not going to be enough in the first place anyway, so if we were going to increase the word count for each chapter/episode, then it would be better if it was for an episode that the writers would be more invested in because they have more creative freedom on what goes in it, rather than following a story outline that not everyone may wish to follow.

Anyway, with regards to the episodic content, are you thinking these would be "prologue" episodes that happen before the proposed plot line? Or would it be more like interlocking stories showing each character's perspective in trying to achieve their own goals, with Ayaka and Nanase's storyline happening in the background (kind of like the interlocking stories in the Boogiepop, Baccano or Durarara series)? Perhaps we could have it that Ayaka makes multiple attempts at jumping in the VR world to find Nanase, and each time she joins in with different allies, but while her allies achieve their goals within the story, Ayaka only manages to make it one step closer to Nanase thanks to their help before she gets thrown out by Gloriana again?

Another question would be, would these episode be written by a single writer, or could two or more writers collaborate on the same episodes?

Thinking about this further, if we could lay down some basic rules/starting points for each episode to follow, it could be something like this:
  • Each episode must have two focus characters, one from a writer's own series and the other from a different series not written by the same writer. A writer may also decide to instead pick two characters from two series that are not their own.
  • Each episode must involve at least one of the original characters from the setting (Ayaka, Nanase, Gloriana/Mathurine, or Risa) in an important role to the plot.
  • The core of the plot should be driven by a conflict between characters. This could be either between the two characters from the series coming into conflict due to opposing or conflicting goals (say, one wants to help Ayaka while the other is charged by Gloriana to force Ayaka out of the game once more), or if the characters are allies, then their conflict will be with the original character (say, two Break-out members hunting down Ayaka). The original character could either be allies with your character and enemies of the other, or they could be enemies to both.
  • Each episode should either advance the main story by one step, following the outline discussed above, or should reveal one of the main original character's secrets (e.g. the ghost that looks like Gloriana is actually Risa, and Gloriana has taken her in-game avatar).
What do you all think?

That could be interesting. Definitely sounds like it could run afoul of scope creep. On the other hand, "prologue" chapters would be a good way to help get everyone familiar with the cast.

Maybe we could use the Discord to pitch potential plot developments to nail down the kinds of inter-personal conflicts and friendships we want to see arise? And then those could be worked into each episode to make sure there's a steady sense of forward motion. Otherwise it could be easy to have the episodes feel disconnected from each other and the main plot.

Yeah I do worry about scope creep and us getting bogged down in more side bits first before resolving the plot. I also really on have a pretty simple and straightforward stretch of ideas for Hayate too (hunt down Ayaka -> a few small conflicts with the cast over there -> at some point Chachua gets in and Hayate gets memories back -> straight shot to final boss). Dunno what else I can throw in because I don't really know who else is interested in having their characters interact here.

It only just occurred to me that this might be a concern, but how is the mobility of everyone's magical girls? I was plotting out the Kyoko fight scene in Something Wicked when I realized I'd been assuming all of Something Wicked's magical girls could fly. I know AMA's magical girls use super leaps rather than flight, but what about everyone else?

It only just occurred to me that this might be a concern, but how is the mobility of everyone's magical girls? I was plotting out the Kyoko fight scene in Something Wicked when I realized I'd been assuming all of Something Wicked's magical girls could fly. I know AMA's magical girls use super leaps rather than flight, but what about everyone else?

Ama's mg's don't all use leaps. Some do have flight but it's dependent on how high a level they are or their particular skill set.

But Fia doesn't fly.

She can teleport though.

And has shown an instance of using an air step, though that was more instinctual then controllable so far.

Last edited:
Strela just jumps.

Back