Sketch Makes Her Own Warhammers (WARNING: IMAGES!)

my next goals for painting:
- the first two field ordnance batteries
- two more mortar teams
- a sentinel

this is driven by the fact that these models can't be fully assembled until i've painted them, and i really wanna play some games with this army in the foreseeable future!

i have two reprints to do tomorrow (an artillery crew's lasgun barrel broke, and i noticed a plasma gunner has a deformed shoulder from a missing support) but other than that not much else to add to the force at the moment. i'll start modeling and posing more soldiers, artillery, and sentinels once this lot are all painted up.

i doubt i'll be able to get the army to 2000 points anytime soon given the massive delays caused by my hand and pain issues, and the fact i still need to take it slow now while i recover.

my new Ambitious Goal is 2000 fully painted points to enter into Pax Unplugged's 40k tournament in December, with a minor goal of playing a 1000 point game with the force fully assembled (thus having painted up the sentinels, field guns, mortars, and tank) in the next three months or so

side project - lieutenant fusilier!
been slowly grinding on the first field ordnance battery base. there's a lot of crap that goes on those so its taking a while

also, as a side thing, i made a Lieutenant Fusilier in celebration of the book coming out next week. the STL will be packed in with the book! got to test out some effects gel on the sword and i love how they look, can't wait to use them on the plasma guns and the like

She looks great! I was wondering why the mini looked metallic before I saw that it was as her and that's fantastic

I was more surprised at the sword. I saw the photo first and thought "Wait a moment, who in 40k does swords made of fire?" before reading the description.

It doesn't matter what's the cause,
What wrong they say we're righting,
A curse for treaties, bonds and laws,
When we're to do the fighting!
And since we lads are proud and true,
What else remains to do?

Lucasta, when to France your man
Returns his fourth time, hating war,
Yet laughs as calmly as he can
And flings an oath, but says no more,
That is not courage, that's not fear—
Lucasta he's a Fusilier,
And his pride sends him here.

Let statesmen bluster, bark and bray,
And so decide who started
This bloody war, and who's to pay,
But he must be stout-hearted,
Must sit and stake with quiet breath,
Playing at cards with Death.

Don't plume yourself he fights for you;
It is no courage, love, or hate,
But let us do the things we do;
It's pride that makes the heart be great;
It is not anger, no, nor fear—
Lucasta he's a Fusilier,
And his pride keeps him here.

"To Lucasta, on Going to the War- for the Fourth Time"
Robert Graves, 1918​

---​

Not quite a match for our Fusie, but it's been stuck in my head ever since I read it, and I think of her sometimes when the poem runs back through my head.

Fusiliers were, in the original usage, picked men selected to guard the artillery and armed with flintlock muskets- at the time, these were unusual weapons, but a lot safer to carry around artillery ammunition than a matchlock that needed a lit fuse attached to it if it was to fire at all. The tradition of the fusiliers being something of an elite persisted through and past World War One in Britain.

I imagine that helps explain why the Fusilier name got attached to British military machines in the Concert setting (hope I got the name right).

Last edited:
"Well, sure, she can design and produce excellent 3D sculpts that fit the Warhammer and Astra Militarum style while still establishing their own identity, but that doesn't mean she can paint better than me-"

"..."

"...shit."

Gorgeous. The only feedback I can possibly offer is that the rivets and/or Imperialis on the armoured plates on the front of the gun would really pop with a bit of metallic colouring, whether they're fully unpainted steel/brass, or just edge highlights to look like scraped-off green paint at the edges.

This is incredibly good stuff. The dynamic posing! The sense of movement, of a process in action! It's a scene, a story!

"Well, sure, she can design and produce excellent 3D sculpts that fit the Warhammer and Astra Militarum style while still establishing their own identity, but that doesn't mean she can paint better than me-"

"..."

"...shit."

Gorgeous. The only feedback I can possibly offer is that the rivets and/or Imperialis on the armoured plates on the front of the gun would really pop with a bit of metallic colouring, whether they're fully unpainted steel/brass, or just edge highlights to look like scraped-off green paint at the edges.
i've been told this a bunch and i understand that usually 40k iconography is brightly coloured, but im trying to keep it only to the helmet badges for this, and leaving the symbols which are moulded into armour plates green like they've been painted over. its in emulation of the way that soviet iconography of the period would be stamped into various parts of a vehicle, but painted in. it's part of the low-budget practicality vibe of the army, to make them feel functional and utilitarian.

one of the things is that chipping like that doesn't actually *happen* to equipment like this. paint and primer is how you protect heavy military gear from rust, which is why it'll be layered on thick and in multiple coats. chipping tends to just reveals paint under the paint, and anything that *is* exposed rusts in short order. the only shiny things you'll see are working, moving parts, like the edges of roadwheels polished by constant motion. the only place you'd get this kind of wear typically is on finer control parts like handles, triggers, etc, parts too small to paint.

while i want to have some exposed steel anyway to add visual texture, i want to avoid this kind of... unrealistic realism. if i expose bare metal, it'll be in big chunks, either selected to indicate working parts or serious damage like the chip taken out of one of the gunner's helmets, or the bullet holes i have in the artillery shield of the next gun.

Last edited:
I called Sketch a renaissance woman late last year and I was also not joking, I'm convinced that she could build a working glider in her yard if she really wanted to.

one of the things is that chipping like that doesn't actually *happen* to equipment like this. paint and primer is how you protect heavy military gear from rust, which is why it'll be layered on thick and in multiple coats. chipping tends to just reveals paint under the paint, and anything that *is* exposed rusts in short order. the only shiny things you'll see are working, moving parts, like the edges of roadwheels polished by constant motion. the only place you'd get this kind of wear typically is on finer control parts like handles, triggers, etc, parts too small to paint.

while i want to have some exposed steel anyway to add visual texture, i want to avoid this kind of... unrealistic realism. if i expose bare metal, it'll be in big chunks, either selected to indicate working parts or serious damage like the chip taken out of one of the gunner's helmets, or the bullet holes i have in the artillery shield of the next gun.
Are those coats of paint all the same shade, especially with the undersupplied nature of the regiment? You might be able to indicate chipping that way.

Last edited:
Back