Sketch Makes Her Own Warhammers (WARNING: IMAGES!)

Created at
Index progress
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

Sketch has set herself a challenge; make a 2000 point Imperial Guard army for Adepticon 2024. The catch? She has to design, model, and print all of it on her 3d printer, from scratch.
Part 1: The Plan & Story So Far

open_sketch

#1 Transgender Pansexual Witch Bandit Wolf Girl
BEST SELLING AUTHOR
Pronouns
She/Her/Whatever
so......... i got a 3d printer

and i also happen to know how to use 3d software?

and... i happened to have gotten back into warhammer 40,000?

with these facts combined, i have decided to make my own Warhammer 40,000 army. From scratch. I will design, model, pose, 3d print, and paint every single element of this army myself. Every infantry model, vehicle, and artillery piece will be my own creation. No GW parts, or any part of any pre-existing model kit, will be used other than bases.

My goal? Take 2000 points of this army to Adepticon 2024. That means, starting around now, I have about a year.

---

Me being me, this is obvious an Imperial Guard army, and like all Guard armies they should be based on something historical. I played around with a few historical themes; I considered making Desert Storm inspired guard in chocolate chip camo, French WW1 troops like the quest I write with @Artificial Girl, or maybe one of the weird background regiments from the 3rd edition codex, but I ended up going back to one of my fixations, the Vietnam War.

Now, obviously, Catachans are stand-ins for 80s action heroes who are used American veterans of the Vietnam War; all their imagery is derived from that. So I got to thinking... what if I did the other side? What if I made an Imperial Guard regiment based on the People's Army of Vietnam and the National Liberation Front (that's the North Vietnamese Army and Vietcong, in American parlance of the era). There was a lot to mine there for a potential Imperial Guard army, the idea of a force which has been struggling against invaders for a long time, who have a lot of tenacity but not a lot of equipment, who are making do in a lot of ways. There's a lot to work with there!

The Pitch & Reference Material
I didn't have to do much study for this one, per say; this is, as I've mentioned, one of my fixations, I've been studying this war on and off for fifteen+ years at this point. The basic idea is simple; translate this into Guardsmen.

To do this, I needed to pick a few elements which absolutely had to make it in that would define the look. I spotted a few obvious iconic elements right away; the iconic AK-magazine pouch vest and pith helmet. It'd make sense to make their lasrifles look a bit like an AKM, with a wooden grip and stock. And, finally, though not all PAVN troops wore sandals, a lot of them did at various points in the war. These rubber sandals were cheap and effective footwear in the jungle, and they'd be very recognizable, instantly setting the troops apart from other Imperial Guardsmen. People would know at a glance who they were.

But I didn't just want to make heroic scale PAVN soldiers, these are still Imperial Guardsmen! They should have some Guardsmen elements too, which I decided meant they should share some aesthetic elements with other Guard model ranges. Their gun would still need to obviously be a lasgun, and they should wear armour. They should look like they were official GW models from a universe where Imperial Guard rather than Space Marines were the flagship product and every regiment imaginable had a plastic range (a better world tbh).

I started with the lasgun. I decided it should have the standard lasgun power pack, because the interchangeable nature of that pack is really important in the lore. To imply the AK-47 banana mag, though, I added a canted magwell. A sectioned foregrip area would help.

.... hmm. That's not right. It's very lasgun-like, but not that AK-like.

There we go! Flipping the barrels over instantly made it look more AK-like. So... now I had to make the guy.

First Test Model

Blatantly eyeballing the proportions and unsure really what I was doing, I knocked out this first test model with everything I figured it needed. I gave them a scarf I figured I would paint red, as a counterpart to the red Catachan headbands, modelled a simple body, and gave it a vest which looked one part ChicCom AK magazine webbing and one part soft armoured vest. The suspenders put into mind the original Cadian metal miniatures from back in the day, which remain some of my favourite Imperial Guard models ever; these, not either of the plastic ranges, are what I think of when I think Cadian.

So I decided to steal from them a little. I referenced the simple curved shoulderpads, adding a raised piece and some rivets for a bit more detail, and placed similar little ear-bits (microbeads?) on the helmet. I then finished the helmet with an aquillia (i considered the winged skull instead, but this seemed easier to paint), and a ridge along the top like an Adrian helmet to tie them visually to the other major Guard range, the Death Korps.

Then... I had to make a face. I have never modelled a face before, not in this amount of detail. Previous attempts were always just textures over very simple low-poly models for game development purposes. This was uncharted territory, and scary; it'd be very easy to fuck it up and make a horrible awful caricature. I didn't want to make the next Bolt Action Japanese miniatures!

So I loaded up a tutorial and did my best.

Eeeeeh? I wasn't happy with it, but I realized that if i didn't at least print it and try it out, I'd never actually know what worked in the real world at real scales. So I resolved to stop fucking around with it, pose him, and print him.

Holy fuck! I made up a guy!

Now to get mad at him.

There was a lot wrong. The rivets didn't even show up, the cloth was underdetailed, and the pose was stiff. The shoulder pads and rim of the helmet were too thin. The barrel of his gun was tiny. He looked... weird. But... warhammer models look weird, that's fine! I'm learning! I made a few fixes, like making the rivets and barrel bigger, then decided I needed to stop fucking around and just make a squad.

Attempt at Squad 1
So I started building out a bunch of variant parts and putting together guys for a 10 man infantry squad. I decided to pose them as if they were on patrol, with the sergeant having just spotted an enemy. They ended up looking like this.

I'm still incredibly proud of this squad. I like the poses, I feel there's an interesting diversity of characters on display. My favourites are the anxious young guy second from left, the chill dude with sunglasses who has clearly been here before, and the detail in the vox operator and grenadier. They felt really good! So I printed them.

This... was hard. I learned a lot about supporting models and delicate parts in this time. The bayonets broke constantly, and a lot of the prints failed because small parts like magazines, helmet backs, or grenades were unsupported. During this trial and error process, I printed 22 models to try and get ten. But eventually I did it.

I started experimenting with paint on some of the failed prints as well. The faces were holding up well; look at this guy!

I even posed up a second squad, this one in the midst of a charge, with a lot of really neat models. Still love the sergeant and this other one whose pose came up way more extra than expected.

Unfortunately, this is when I put together my first of the new plastic GW Cadians and discovered something annoying.

My dudes were too big, and their proportions were wrong. A smart person would have checked before she posed 20 of them, but I never claimed to be smart.

This would need to be fixed in Part 2.

Last edited:
Imperial Guard Memorandum #287,391,871B-5812-Upsilon:

"Never put those guys alongside Catachans. Catachans get nervous breakdowns around them. Everyone else is fine. Except Catachans for some weird reason."

Part 2: Mark 2 Guardsman, Death Korps Stand-Ins, and Test Models
Alright, so... having a GW model in hand to compare it to, I clearly needed to make some serious improvements to not just the proportions, but the overall level and density of detail. They'd levelled up since the 2003 plastic Cadians I was familiar with; I'd need to as well.

So I set out rebuilding the parts for the model. I made a lot of little changes, ranging from new and adjusted parts to different proportions to technical changes to make them easier to pose and sculpt. I tried to push everything farther, making buttons and components larger, adding detail into areas that were lacking before, and exaggerating scales. I added a sling to the newly-shorted rifle because I noticed how much realism that added to the new Cadian figures; it makes the gun look so much more like a physical item. I rebuilt the collar to be more prominent, increased the size of all the little accessories, added a winged skull to the shoulder pad, and tried a new method for making hands which would look more realistic and natural at the scales we were working at than the awkwardly warped model I used before.

A picture speaks a thousand words so here, have 3000 words.

I decided to recreate the post of my very first test mini to see how far I'd come, and the difference was night and day. The new minis were much bolder and more interesting. They still weren't quite as bulky as the Cadians, but that's fine, it fit the aesthetic. I was pretty happy with this, but there was one more thing I wanted to get squared away before I moved into posing and printing squads again.

Stand-Ins: Death Korps
In the 9th edition Imperial Guard codex, Imperial Guard troops aren't just infantry squads anymore; instead, they're divided into regular squads, Cadian Shock Troops, Death Korps of Krieg, and Catachan Jungle Fighters. The regular troops would make great Cadians, benefiting from their excellent special weapon choices and bonuses to shooting (of course, 10th edition coming soon may negate that, but given GW's current 1-box-1-datasheet policy, the rest of what I write should still apply for Adepticon). But that also means I could have other kinds of squads in the army!

So obviously I could make some NLF-analogs and run them as Jungle Fighters, right? It'd be perfect!

... well, except for one thing.

Catachans are dogshit in the 9th edition codex. They are the worst choice by miles. They cost more points than any of the other squads, and for that price you get a squad whose main benefit is being slightly better at melee (a thing Guardsmen never want to do anyway!) and being the only squad which can take the same two special weapons in a single squad. Well, that's not bad, is it?

... except the only special weapons they can take are flamers.

So, uh, instead my Vietcong are gonna be Death Korps. They're wearing black, it makes sense! Don't at me! This choice is much better in every way; they get an ability which makes them more resistant than usual to heavy weapon fire (which is appropriate for outgunned guerrillas), and they can take sniper rifles, which Cadians can't and which will be perfect. So I just needed a look for them.

I decided to keep it simple; to use the same bodies as the regular Guard, but I'd leave off the armoured shoulder pads, have a soft hat instead of a helmet, and give them lighter equipment than the backpacks. I decided they'd be fairly standardized (as much as the regulars at least) rather than really make them look like insurgents; after all, this is an Imperial Guard regiment and not actually a resistance force, so they should look professionally equipped.

One distinction I decided to make in the process was to give them a different weapon. The black AKM-style lasgun wouldn't stand out well against a black uniform, but something with more wood like an SKS would stand out better, and imitate the difference between the infantry lasguns of the Cadians and the long-barrelled model used by the Kriegers.

So they'd look something like... this?

Yeah, that looks good. Let's print them, and this time, we'll paint them up as test models before we made any more poses. This time, I'll also print them with a smaller layer hieght to avoid the unsightly lines that had appeared in the last ones.

There we go.

Paint Test - Where We Are Right Now
I'm missing a few of the paints to finish the models as they are right now, and I need to do some tests with washes. So right now I've just settled for using the base paints only.

But basically, as of this point in the project, here's where we are. Here are the two test models for my custom Imperial Guard, as they are right now. Original test model and new GW Cadian for scale.

There's a few things I'm going to do differently in the production models. I've already made their hands a bit bigger and more detailed to better fit the GW scale, and smoothed out their collars so the polygonal shapes are less obvious. I moved the chinstrap of the helmet to under the chin instead of across it, which I had originally done in imitation of the Cadians; I'd prefer to have more of the face visible. I'm also going to try and make the detail in the cloth and face pop a bit more and be more distinct. I also need to thin my paints more; this was my first time painting over a black basecoat in years and I let my worries about coverage cloud my judgement when I should have just used more, thinner coats.

But for the most part, this is it; these are the models I'm going to go with. Next time: Finishing the test models, basing, and a tour of the Blender file.

Last edited:
I've been following your progress on these on twitter and I'm really super impressed by how great they are!

Looking forward to seeing the final paint jobs!

For some reason the fact that you've given them sandals is unreasonably distressing to me.

I think it's because I remember a scene from Gaunt's Ghosts where somebody is yelling at an administration logistician that they needed size 3 power packs and were given size 5 which devolved into a rant about how they used size four boots and were a size 4 guardsman.

This is awesome.

And I am, for real, no shit, stunned that it's possible to produce decent Warhammer-scale infantry on a 3D printer these days.

It's interesting how it looks, entirely coincidentally, like they're significantly Roman-inspired, via the shoulder protection, scarf, and chest webbing combo. Absolutely fascinating to see the process and they look really good.

For some reason the fact that you've given them sandals is unreasonably distressing to me.

I think it's because I remember a scene from Gaunt's Ghosts where somebody is yelling at an administration logistician that they needed size 3 power packs and were given size 5 which devolved into a rant about how they used size four boots and were a size 4 guardsman.

I expect there's some sort of story about how the Administratum managed to misplace several regiments' worth of boots.

Can't wait to see the rest of this. Are the models rigged for different poses, or did you have to sculpt them individually?

I expect there's some sort of story about how the Administratum managed to misplace several regiments' worth of boots.
They eventually got things straightened out, but by the time the replacement boots arrived the sandals had been made an official part of the uniform.

Can't wait to see the rest of this. Are the models rigged for different poses, or did you have to sculpt them individually?

They eventually got things straightened out, but by the time the replacement boots arrived the sandals had been made an official part of the uniform.
They're rigged to be posed, but then I go in with a sculpting tool and make the cloth match the pose (as well as fix up any issues).

Also, I figure the sandals here are just, like, the official uniform. This planet is Budget Cadia, trying to support an enormous military against the constant invasions without the entire sector backing them up.

Also, I figure the sandals here are just, like, the official uniform. This planet is Budget Cadia, trying to support an enormous military against the constant invasions without the entire sector backing them up.

Who is their main invasion?

Orks?

Nids?

Wait, no, arrogant, technologically advanced, think it's fine to kill 10,000 locals to save 1 of them, they have to be beefing with the Eldar

"To fail to reconquer a Maiden World once is regrettable, to fail five times begins to look like incompetence."

Who is their main invasion?

Orks?

Nids?

Wait, no, arrogant, technologically advanced, think it's fine to kill 10,000 locals to save 1 of them, they have to be beefing with the Eldar

"To fail to reconquer a Maiden World once is regrettable, to fail five times begins to look like incompetence."
yes all of the above

Are you going to do any Female Soldiers?

The Vietnamese had many Female Soldiers.
yeah, i already have! you can see a bunch of them among the poses and test models. they're not that different from the male models, wearing fatigues and armoured vests and all, though I am giving them long hair (mostly in braids, tails, and buns, but sometimes loose) because the female fighters in most of the pictures have.

You can always say that a single Tyranid ship turned up or an asteroid or something. There's always a plausible reason in 40k to be fighting anyone.

This is really cool, and I'm excited to see where it goes - especially if you dip into the less conventional elements of the Guard armoury, like Sentinels.

Guard infantry are a bit of a mess of box-equals-datasheet, no standardised wargear, and OOP legacy options that would be relegated to Legends for basically any other faction, yeah. But hey, someone on the studio clearly likes Guard and is very insistent about it, so sure, have two different datasheets for near-identical Command Squads to accomodate that one guy who kitbashed a sniper rifle for his squad before I was born.

Do you have a story or name in mind for this regiment, yet? ...probably best not to imagine what their lore would have been if they were added to the game in the 1980s, actually.

Back