@dryskim @DB_Explorer @NeonLights @PanzerWaffles @Wizard_Marshall @Project J @AlphaD

Hello all!

I've returned from my trip to Europe, which included two days in Chernobyl itself. I explored the NPP, Chernobyl-2 (Limansk in Stalker terms), the Duga radar, and much of Pripyat itself. I also took almost 3000 photos, so expect those to be used in the RP to add some flavor and visual reference!

The ironic thing is that there's packs of roaming dogs in Chernobyl, but they're entirely friendly and harmless.

Update to come!

Good throw. You can toss that sandwich up to two(!) zones away if you want to.

Seems like a good y e e t to me. If the dogs are distracted then I could use the opportunity to use Investigate to check out what's causing the air to move about in a strange pattern in Zone B from Zone A?

@Sushi
Sure, go for it.

.... all I have atm is a knife... could I perhaps improvise a weapon out of.. IDK a stick or something with craft? to get a bonus against the dogs?
There might not be time for it, but you could search the bags for weapons if you wanted to. I'll have Butterfly open one of those containers riffing off @dryskim 's post.

First draft of my application.

Name: Yulia Zaitsev
Zone Nickname: Outcast
Appearance:

Faction: Bandit
Birthplace: Tatarstan
Experience: Freelance (4 years)

Aspects:
(High Concept): Fugitive Burglar
(Trouble): Didn't Think This Through
Impulse Thinker
Stage Shy
(This Aspect will explain how you know the main cast.)

Refresh: 3
Fate Points: 3
Physical: [][]
Morale: [][]
Consequences:

Personality & Bio:

Yulia is what people expected of a typical Eastern European suburban brat; a child of six borne into a Catholic working family with familial ties to the criminal underbelly. Yulia was no exception.

A life of fresh-faced gangster in the underworld is harsh and grim; you have to rely on the scraps of your betters to silence the hunger pangs for the next day, no one gives a shit about your problems until it's their money, and you've to kowtow to every kind of garbage work that gets thrown your way, and be happy about it.

Ultimately, the biggest takeaway is that Yulia learned is that you're expendable, for you're worth less than the coke-lained cash used to buy off-brand cigarettes off a crumbling dollar store, and are replaceable by the waiting line of fools thinking of their next paycheck to shoot up some watered down trash up their veins before they get buried in unmarked grave. Yulia reckoned she's better than most; living as a freelance 'acquisitor' for four years was pretty impressive in the shithole of a city she's living in. Too bad it didn't take long for things to belly up.

It's supposed to be a simple smash-and-grab. No occupants, no witnesses, no guns and there definitely wasn't suppose to be the mafia boss's son bleeding out like a pig in the gutter. Naturally, she's the scapegoat, and like any smart animal, she knew it's time to get out.

Where though, is another matter.

The recent Vilomah was a stark-raving lunatic, burning down her hidey holes in record time. The boss's influence was too big, Yulia had to keep moving, but she couldn't keep doing this forever. One way or another, she's gonna be cornered, gutted, and be made a grotesque museum piece in some hobo-infested alleyway. There's no escape from him. Almost.

See, the boss was someone who knew no morals and dabbled in everything legal and very illegal. Everything except for the Zone at least. Something about the Zone being batshit insane and chews through man like wood to a chipper or some crap like that. So, being the desperate fugitive she's now, she boarded the cheapest trafficker ship she could find to the Zone, content that whatever awaited her in the Zone couldn't be any worse than what her hunter would do to her.

She also forgotten that she also paid for the cheapest asshole that tossed her overboard somewhere on the way, where she floated aimlessly for fucking hours before finally beached herself near some shipwrecks. Exhausted and freezing to her boots, she then heard noises that shouldn't have come out of anything natural in the distance.

Being a criminal fucking sucks.

Skills:
+4 Burglary
+3 Stealth Investigate
+2 Deceive Notice Electronics
+1 Survival Medicine Shoot Athletics

Stunts:
  • "A Few Rubles More" — You know that greed lies in the hearts of every man. You have an easier time bribing and coercing others with money and trade. Once per scene, you may declare your intent to contact a Bandit ally, and with an opportunity to find them, get some specific information, job, or a line on something you might need.
  • "Casing the Joint" — "We got another name for homes here. Loot pinatas." You gain +2 to your Investigate skill when reconnoitring a location and its surroundings.
  • "Run Rabbit Junk" — "You know it's time to bail when bullets start flying." Once per scenario, re-roll against any Overcome challenges in relation to Dodging and Athletics.
Thanks for the submission! I think it's a neat step away from the typical direction / themes of your characters.

I think the first sentence of the bio comes off as a little heavy-handed. Suburban with criminal ties? I don't think that's how most people would see "typical Eastern Europe," and it seems a little too much parody for the serious tone of the character.

Aspects: Rename the trouble, not sure what the "thinking it through" part is referring to. Either name the specific people that have it out for her ("Vilomah?") or some personality trait that causes her issues.

Skills/Stunts: Since there is a fair bit of fighting involved I think putting too much into burglary might make things difficult if we, for example, end up fighting mutants or enemies that aren't conventional humans. So, might want to use stunts to build that skill to your advantage.

e.g.

"Backstab/Sucker Punch. You can use Stealth to make physical attacks, provided your target isn't already aware of your presence. (Fate Core, p.89)

Backstab. When you can surprise an enemy or attack from a place of hiding, you can attack with Stealth. If you succeed, you create a boost. If you succeed with style, you get to invoke that boost for free twice. (Fate System Toolkit, p.42)"

Run Rabbit Junk — If an enemy is unaware of your presence, you can make a close-range attack, be it ranged or physical, with Burglary.

I think that would nicely serve your purposes. Though maybe look at a different second stunt since, frankly, not sure a +5 investigation will really benefit you that much when it's a limited use skill (only when doing recon?)

Thanks for the submission! I think it's a neat step away from the typical direction / themes of your characters.

I think the first sentence of the bio comes off as a little heavy-handed. Suburban with criminal ties? I don't think that's how most people would see "typical Eastern Europe," and it seems a little too much parody for the serious tone of the character.

Aspects: Rename the trouble, not sure what the "thinking it through" part is referring to. Either name the specific people that have it out for her ("Vilomah?") or some personality trait that causes her issues.

Skills/Stunts: Since there is a fair bit of fighting involved I think putting too much into burglary might make things difficult if we, for example, end up fighting mutants or enemies that aren't conventional humans. So, might want to use stunts to build that skill to your advantage.

e.g.

"Backstab/Sucker Punch. You can use Stealth to make physical attacks, provided your target isn't already aware of your presence. (Fate Core, p.89)

Backstab. When you can surprise an enemy or attack from a place of hiding, you can attack with Stealth. If you succeed, you create a boost. If you succeed with style, you get to invoke that boost for free twice. (Fate System Toolkit, p.42)"

Run Rabbit Junk — If an enemy is unaware of your presence, you can make a close-range attack, be it ranged or physical, with Burglary.

I think that would nicely serve your purposes. Though maybe look at a different second stunt since, frankly, not sure a +5 investigation will really benefit you that much when it's a limited use skill (only when doing recon?)
Hi, thanks for your critique of my profile! I have made some changes to my profile in regards to the bio, Trouble and the two stunts as per your advice.

@Sushi is it possible to prepare an action ahead of time to trigger under specific circumstances? For example I was considering having Athena duck into cover near Journalist and then aiming at the dog closest - between point A and E - ready to pull the trigger if becomes hositle?

Hi, thanks for your critique of my profile! I have made some changes to my profile in regards to the bio, Trouble and the two stunts as per your advice.
Looks good! I'll try to get you into the party soon.

Right, sorry for the delay but here come the dice!
+4. I'm gonna have Journalist teamwork you and I'll tag you ICly.

@Sushi is it possible to prepare an action ahead of time to trigger under specific circumstances? For example I was considering having Athena duck into cover near Journalist and then aiming at the dog closest - between point A and E - ready to pull the trigger if becomes hositle?
Yes, that is a valid way to do an action, but since Project J already made a roll, I'm going to have that situation resolved. You can find another action to do instead though, your character's build is suited to discovering new things after all.

Yay! I have a really really shitty gun! .... can I examine the container? Maybe I can see if how its made indicates if its been reinforced to keep things contained [and thus might be dangerous]

Also the earlier posts mentioned a camelbak with supplies in it? has that been looked at? Also the other half packed backpack.

Yay! I have a really really shitty gun! .... can I examine the container? Maybe I can see if how its made indicates if its been reinforced to keep things contained [and thus might be dangerous]

Also the earlier posts mentioned a camelbak with supplies in it? has that been looked at? Also the other half packed backpack.
Nobody has looked into the camelbak or bag yet. Would you like to? I'll write a post handing off the box.

"Understanding Through Creation" - Typically, with a lockbox, the lock, hinges, and so on are designed to make it hard for someone to break in and steal the precious things within. What you find here is much the opposite. Although stout, with full-length welds and thick sheet steel, it appears there is nothing really keeping a person from looking inside except a simple eyelet for a padlock, which is currently empty. The device on board seems to be designed to electrify the inside of the container. Everything points to some idea that this 8x8'' box is supposed to be keeping something safely within it rather than keeping people out.

@Sushi

I actually have an interest in examining the partially packed rucksack @DB_Explorer mentioned; might be useful to take if only to loot dump its contents into my own pack and hand off to someone else.

Yes, that is a valid way to do an action, but since Project J already made a roll, I'm going to have that situation resolved. You can find another action to do instead though, your character's build is suited to discovering new things after all.

That's true. I should take advantage of her skills and stunts.

Can the team see the other two dogs or are we just vaguely aware there's more than one in the area?

@AlphaD Were you going to post?

@DB_Explorer The container appears unlocked. Do you want to open it?

@Sushi

I actually have an interest in examining the partially packed rucksack @DB_Explorer mentioned; might be useful to take if only to loot dump its contents into my own pack and hand off to someone else.
As you unbuckle the flap and pull open the rucksack, it simply crumbles beneath your fingers, burned by a fruit punch, you imagine...

Search: Zone D
@dryskim @DB_Explorer @PanzerWaffles

⟮ʀᴜᴄᴋsᴀᴄᴋ⟯
"Burned Protective Vest"
"5.56 Cartridges"
"Package for Sidorovich"

There's a few boxes of rifle-caliber cartridges and a package for a man you recognize, the Zone trader Sidorovich.

You think the vest could be fixed at the hands of the good technician. It's been significantly burned and the straps are falling off, but the hard plates inside it, most importantly, seem intact.

That's true. I should take advantage of her skills and stunts.

Can the team see the other two dogs or are we just vaguely aware there's more than one in the area?
You can tell there's a handful of dogs, but they're all pretty similarly shaggy and unkempt, it's hard to distinguish them from one another and make a proper head count.

I'd like to chase after the artifact maybe try to scoop it back into the box..should I roll athletics or something?

@AlphaD @Project J

So how do you two want to handle the situation?

I figure there's one of two ways we can approach this. The diplomatic route would be to call out and be open, but given the setting I'm kinda against this option. The other option I considered was somehow stealthily approaching and leveraging both our numbers and arms to control the situation.

@Sushi

Can I roll Notice and use Athena's senses to try and discover more about this stranger?

@AlphaD @Project J

I figure there's one of two ways we can approach this. The diplomatic route would be to call out and be open, but given the setting I'm kinda against this option. The other option I considered was somehow stealthily approaching and leveraging both our numbers and arms to control the situation.

@Sushi

Can I roll Notice and use Athena's senses to try and discover more about this stranger?
You can roll for that, sure.

@AlphaD @Project J

@Sushi

I'm more inclined to take advantage of Athena's Notice and potentially Star's Investigate to try and figure out any details about the entity or the surrounding area. Figure out if they're actually just another Stalker or if they're some kind of Zone creature.

If the entity is a Stalker, a person, it would depend on how well armed they are or their general disposition? The way I see it, we could confront them with a show of force or like you suggested make use of our respectable Stealth to immediately disarm the person.

If it's some kind of Zone creature, well, shoot first and ask questions later?

@Sushi

While Athena is using Notice, could I use Investigate to see if there's anything off about the person or if they have anything else on them?

EDIT: Actually, that's probably a redundant action. Anna and Journalist are hanging further back upon re-reading so maybe we could double back around the building and see if there's another way in? What do @Wizard_Marshall and @Project J think?

Last edited:
That's partly my bad for not noticing being tagged on the forum and not responding. Apologies!

Yall just wanna start swinging/shooting and see how it plays out?

That's partly my bad for not noticing being tagged on the forum and not responding. Apologies!

Yall just wanna start swinging/shooting and see how it plays out?
Well, again, not trying to blame people, I am just trying to cut the habit of waiting excessively and letting the RP die off because of it..

You have a couple options here if you wanted to. You could just start shooting or try to do things stealthily; someone could Create an Advantage by taking out your target's legs and knocking them down, and someone uses an attack to dispatch the target with a blunt impact or an edged weapon.

Back