Shade, you do understand that everything will end up in flames?

• No

Votes: 35 3.8%
  • No, Kawaii-Desu.

Votes: 72 7.8%
  • Nope, arigato-dessu

Votes: 16 1.7%
  • Nope, Poi!

Votes: 83 9.0%
  • This choice is a Lie, Goshujin-sama!

Votes: 189 20.5%
  • Shade, you have a problem. We love it.

Votes: 414 44.9%
  • Shade-sama, Watashi wa, anata o aishiteimasu!

Votes: 114 12.4%

• Total voters
Created at
Index progress
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

Prologue

"Looking Back on High School Life"

by Hikigaya Hachiman, section 2-F

Society is...
Prologue

shadenight123

Ten books I have published. More await!
Prologue

"Looking Back on High School Life"

by Hikigaya Hachiman, section 2-F

Society is but a lie, an evil. Those enthralled by it are constantly deceiving both themselves and those around them. They immerse themselves within the crowd of sheep, and wallow in the affirmation of their work by their bosses, in the pride earned from the fake congratulations of their colleagues and in the fake respect of their underlings. It is no wonder that High School life shares such facets with society, being the first institution in which children evolve into teenagers, and through it into adults.

High School is a miniature society, composed of hard workaholic bosses as teachers, colleagues who fake their congratulations and underlings who just are younger students that will give you as much sass as they can without caring. Everyone wants to be the Employee of the month, ensnared in a trap of their own making. Students are thus prisoners of a system that is society, even when they have not yet stepped into society.

They form bonds and tie themselves to others in cliques in order to keep themselves afloat, but when someone commits an unspeakable act they are quickly abandoned to drown, like the dregs of society. Rather than become a mechanism of society's ever-present grinding manifest, is it not better to become a self-dependent individual, an autonomous worker? Rather than neatly falling into society's desires, why not force society to come to terms with its own shortcomings by having it come to you?

Rather than a slave, a master of slaves would be better.

The only way to become such is to break free of society, and become something that stands beyond it. Only outside of the mechanism can someone find truth, honesty and righteousness.

Thus, looking back on High School Life, I, Hikigaya Hachiman can come to only one conclusion.

They are all fools playing foolish games.

The best way to win at such foolish games...

...is to not play them.

-

Shizuka Hiratsuka, his Japanese Literature teacher, was clearly angry. There was a vein pulsing on her forehead, her teeth were gritted, and she was clearly clutching on to his essay with a scathing look that meant she was inches away from crumpling and tearing it apart. She finished reading the essay and sighed in the end, letting her anger and tension go.

"Hikigaya," she said, "What was the topic of the essay?"

"Looking back on High School life," Hachiman replied easily enough. It was written at the very top of his essay too, just like his name. He knew he wasn't a true artistic talent of a writer, but even so he hadn't written the title so badly as to make it unreadable now, had he?

His professor nodded, her dark eyes narrowing on his essay as if it were filth and then dropping it down on the small wooden table between them. She sat on a plush sofa, her white lab coat definitely not part of the school's dress code, but clearly something she liked wearing.

"Then why does this read like some kind of anarchic manifest? Are you going around town spraying words against the system in the middle of the night?"

"I just wrote what I felt was proper for the essay," Hachiman said, valiantly defending his ideas with the strength of a wet tissue paper. He was going to fold the moment he was offered a chance out, of course, but the lady teacher didn't need to know that. Uh, Miss Teacher sounded way hotter than it had any right to be—

"Enough daydreaming," Shizuka exhaled curtly, somehow having lit a cigarette in the meantime. "Normally people would write about their past experiences, not about how to be successful while hating society." She smirked. "It's thanks to society that you get an education, after all," she rolled her eyes. "You're going to have to rewrite this, from scratch, and without any anarchic tendencies. Don't try taking ideas from the communist manifesto either, or I'll make you write it again."

"What is this, the Ministry of Love?" Hikigaya dryly quipped. The age did fit with his teacher, though. Maybe. Perhaps. How old was she anyway?

"Sure," Shizuka said without much preamble, cracking her knuckles together. "Want to see how much love I have in my body?" she smiled. It was not a kind smile. "Still," she exhaled a cloud of smoke, the cigarette in the corner of her mouth expertly moved as if she had practiced countless years for such a technique, "It's not like I'm angry."

Of course, because threatening body harm definitely meant that someone wasn't angry.

Her eyes seemed to center on Hachiman's face, "You haven't joined any clubs, have you?"

"I've got a part-time job," Hachiman answered truthfully enough.

"For someone so against society, you seem well-placed within it already," Shizuka said.

"Precisely because I'm well within it, I can rage against the machine," Hachiman replied with a knowing nod.

"Then, got any friends?" the professor asked next.

Hachiman remained quiet, and then shook his head. "I believe in equality. Everyone equally away from me is for the best."

"I see, I see," Shizuka nodded, and then triumphantly smirked, pointing a finger in Hachiman's direction. "You think you're better than anyone else because you're a tiny bit smarter, a tiny bit wiser, a tiny bit more mature. It's a common mistake of youth, to think they're all so wise and capable when they're just all children."

"Clearly when compared to you, the age is pretty much a guarantee of—"

A fist that was invisible due to its own speed passed an inch away from Hikigaya's cheek. If this had been an anime show, clearly there would have been a set of camera shots with sharp 'clack' noises from different angles, and his hair would have been sent in disarray through the movement of the air. That didn't happen, but Hikigaya's mind eye saw things as they should have gone, not as they had effectively been.

"I think I got your type," her eyes seemed to glaze over, half lost in thoughts. "The best way to deal with this...is for you to come in touch with your youthful side."

Hikigaya blinked. He didn't want to touch his youthful side. His youthful side didn't want to get touched by him either.

Hikigaya wasn't the kind of guy that liked being touched to begin with, so...

No touching the merchandise, please.

-

The bar in which Hikigaya Hachiman worked part-time didn't exist.

It wasn't that, on paper, there wasn't a bar. It wasn't that there wasn't a way to get a coffee, or water if one was unlucky enough to step inside without knowing where he had ended up. However, at the same time, this was the kind of place where people stepped inside knowing fully well what they were coming in for, and would leave satisfied and extremely drunk more often than not.

"You need your shifts adjusted?" the man behind the desk asked, his expression puzzled for the briefest of moments. "This Service Club thing...are they a competitor or something?"

The image of the raven-haired girl wearing one of the sleazy outfits of the other girls in the bar made Hachiman grin lopsidedly for just a slight instant, but then the face was soon joined by the character of said girl, and thus the image crashed down and burned, quite rapidly too, into ashes. "It's a school club. They're not a pachinko bar with sexy girls."

The man behind the desk nodded once, his expression smoothing over. "You know I'd hate to see you go over to the competition, Eight."

"I'm just a part-timer," Hachiman replied.

"Yeah, but you're a good part-timer!" the man replied with a chuckle, lighting up a cigarette with a quick motion. Differently from his teacher, who had used a cheap one hundred yen lighter, the guy in question used a matchstick. It made him look cool and refined. His words, not Hikigaya's.

"You didn't even interview me for the position," Hikigaya grunted. "No, actually, I didn't even want to work here."

"What? Now you're hurting me, Eight!" the man laughed. "We hit it off so well in the hospital too!" he patted his heart, a mock-sad expression on his face. "Still, I can rearrange your shifts, no problem."

Hikigaya bowed in thanks, and in order to leave and get back to his job behind the counter.

Mister Koi simply waved him goodbye from the desk, and returned to his favorite pastime.

Playing solitaire on the computer.

*inhale*
Yeeeeeeeeeeeee-
*exhale*
EEEEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHH

ahem , nice to see you continue the adventures of Yakuza associate 8man

I actually thought this was a crossover (SOMEHOW!) with the Ryu ga Gotoku (Yakuza, in the West) games.

Then I recalled that Kamurocho, the main location of that game is in Shinjuku.
Hachiman lives in Chiba.

Nothing stopping him from taking the JR Line to Tokyo proper, but okay.

Chapter One
Chapter One

Hikigaya could have done the job blindfolded. He didn't need to mix alcoholic drinks; those came out during the night shift, and he didn't work the night shift. He had to serve bottle of water to the people who came in, give coffees or serve tea that were piping hot, and sometimes bring out a bottle of saké which didn't need to be mixed with anything else. The other guy by the counter took care of most of the proceedings on the side where adults did adult stuff, and he was content in his tiny isle of peace and tranquility cleaning glasses and ensuring the tiny coffee and tea cups were neatly split in their racks.

His job was easy. It felt like the kind of job that was too good to be true. If there ever was a bartender in a movie who did nothing but clean glasses, then it was his job.

Considering how he had ended up there, perhaps this was like making a deal with the devil, the kind which you stamped with your personal seal, only for the devil to steal your seal away and use it for himself.

"You getting used to your job, new hire?" a portly man spoke, his chin wobbling as his bald head shone brightly like a beacon of hope in a sea of darkness. The man in question was a regular of the bar during the afternoon, a pair of thick sunglasses covering his eyes and the hint of a tattoo on his chest barely visible by the loose neckline. He wore a golden watch, and a set of gaudy rings and bracelets.

He was Buddha, and his favorite food was deep fried tempura. "I am, sir," Hikigaya said with a nod.

"Let's test it out then," Buddha replied with a smirk. "My usual, kid."

Hikigaya briefly pondered over the events of the past week, and most aptly turned and opened the small fridge behind him to pull out the equivalent of a sugar-rush black liquid known to all as a cheap variant of a more important brand name. He snapped the can open, served the drink without ice, and then watched man gulp it down in one swift move. His stomach had to be made of lead to digest it all without getting sick. The fact he did not bend in two spoke well of his constitution.

"Excellent," Buddha nodded. "You're Eight, right?"

Hikigaya tried to smile, but failed. He still did nod at the question. "That's what the boss calls me," he acquiesced.

"Then it's as good as your name around these parts," Buddha replied. "Call me Buddha, none of that sir crap," he snorted. "I'm not one of those half-drunk customers that come by later at night," he grinned. "I have class, and charms," he proudly puffed his chest up just as he sucked in his stomach, before letting them both go back to their natural state and breaking into a raucous laugh.

Clearly the man believed himself a comedian.

"I can see you don't believe me, Eight," Buddha remarked with a smirk, even though Hikigaya hadn't said a word. "That's all right. You'll come around and call me Lord Buddha when the time is right."

"Isn't Buddha supposed to be someone who has no attachments to things?" Hikigaya asked.

"And? I'm just saying I can bring you to enlightenment if you'll follow my teachings," he wriggled his eyebrows. "You have a girl you want conquered? Listen to your uncle Buddha, and I'll tell you how to win their hearts."

Hikigaya stared at the glass he had been cleaning for the past minute, as sparkling clean as it had been a minute before, and then stared straight at the mysterious 'uncle' that had suddenly taken a shine on him.

"Listen, 'Uncle' Buddha, not to be blunt, but...I'll have you know I don't have a problem with girls' hearts." In the same vein as not having a problem with a sickness one didn't possess, if one didn't have a girl he aimed at, then he wouldn't have a problem with their heart either. He could use teen magazines for his fantasies all day and night long, after all.

And wasn't it strange that male teenagers read just as determinedly trendy fashion books for girls? Clearly they had a higher reasoning than buying the cheapest stuff on catalog for their Normy-Girlfriends.

"Please, unless you got yourself a girl who loves staring at dead fish, you're as pure as white snow on Christmas day," Buddha said bluntly, actually striking a critical hit on Hikigaya's inner teenager's pride. The outer shell of Hikigaya took the blow resolutely, not even flinching.

P-Please O-Onii-sama, b-be gentle with me! Why did the image of a pure and candid Snow-chan enter Hikigaya's brain? He had no idea, but yet there it was. Perhaps the attack had been so devastating, he needed to hard-reboot his brain to recover.

"E-Even if that were so, it's not as if things could get better just by telling someone the secret to catching girls," Hikigaya snapped back. "Get a good night of rest, drink plenty of water, use make-up...eyes are an expression of the soul, and I don't want to hide my soul."

Buddha tapped his double-chin thoughtfully, mulling over his words. The man then nodded, "I can get behind that. I'll be quiet then. You keep being Zen and shit with your soul, I'll keep using money and nice sport cars."

"Was that your big secret?" Hikigaya muttered in disbelief. "How was I supposed to get both of those things to get a girl's heart? Rather, wouldn't the girl aim at me for my wallet?"

"That's what happens if you're a fool. I know very well they want my wallet, and they know that I know it too," Buddha smiled, a serene sense of enlightenment setting over his face as he spoke the next words, "So when they abandon their cravings for my money...because I give it to them, I abandon my cravings for contact of the fair sex, because they give it to me," his serene voice changed into that of a sleazy old man, the kind that shouldn't be allowed near high schools, or colleges, or anywhere near decent folks and ladies.

"They should have named you something like Casanova," Hikigaya said with finality.

"Everyone's a critic, but nobody's got the galls to tell me I'm wrong," Buddha pushed his body slightly forward on the counter, "That's cause, deep down, it's the truth. There are a lot of girls who'd do anything for money...but not as many that would do anything for an ugly face. If you want, I can hook you up with—"

"I don't want to know," Hikigaya said. "Also, I'm a minor."

"Meh, as I said before...money's money."

"You actually didn't say that," Hikigaya said, but Buddha simply laughed and shook his head, dismissing the issue with a wave of the hand.

"Give me another of the usual, Eight," Buddha said. "It's too early to drink, but water makes me rust."

Thus the part-timer went back to the fridge to serve the thirsty Buddha...

...and wondered if perhaps there was a myth about Buddha being refreshed in a sleazy Yakuza bar.

I actually thought this was a crossover (SOMEHOW!) with the Ryu ga Gotoku (Yakuza, in the West) games.

Then I recalled that Kamurocho, the main location of that game is in Shinjuku.
Hachiman lives in Chiba.

Nothing stopping him from taking the JR Line to Tokyo proper, but okay.
I actually thought it was going to be a crossover with Nisekoi, but I'm not sure if Shade would be interested in that series.

This is a cross between Oregairu and what? What is the yakuza part, because I have no idea.

More importantly (imo), how will Hachiman having a part time job change the outcome of a certain service club request? Will Hachiman no longer convince her to push for a scholarship?

Thus the part-timer went back to the fridge to serve the thirsty Buddha...
Thirsty indeed.
P-Please O-Onii-sama, b-be gentle with me!
So Hachiman's still a siscon.
Why did the image of a pure and candid Snow-chan enter Hikigaya's brain? He had no idea, but yet there it was. Perhaps the attack had been so devastating, he needed to hard-reboot his brain to recover.
'Pure and candid Snow-chan'? Well if you squint and look at it a certain way, that girl is pure, and she certainly is quite candid.

No wonder his brain needed rebooting.

I feel as though we need some sort of copypasta to half-heartedly paste whenever Shade delves into a new project that will almost certainly end in pain for the sake of his art.

Does it already exist? Am I suggesting we reinvent the wheel, or has no one done this yet?

Chapter Two
Chapter Two

Hikigaya Hachiman believed himself the kind of boy that wouldn't work even when threatened with a gun to his temple. Thus, the reason he was working had nothing to do with being threatened, and all to do because he was weak to social pressure when it came in the form of a tattooed, heavy-lifting man with whom he had shared a hospital room for a couple of weeks.

The man had wanted someone to talk with. Hikigaya had tried, and miserably failed, to use his stealth Hikki power. Hence, he had ended up somehow roped into accepting to come for an interview, had been literally dragged through the doors of a sleazy bar with annexed hidden pachinko, and here he now was, doing the kind of work he wouldn't have been caught dead doing.

His wish of being a house-husband had been brutally squashed by tattooed individuals. At most, he could be the kind of prison-husband he really didn't want to be.

But that was that and this was another situation entirely.

There he was, dragged in all but name by the middle-aged teacher—

"Did you say something?" Shizuka asked, her eyes zeroing on him without mirth. Hikigaya most valiantly shook his head. What was she, an esper? Could she read minds? If so, she was out of luck. Being a teacher for teenagers would be hell on earth for any even passably acceptable female teacher. He was a healthy boy and he knew that too!

"Aren't school supposed to value the students' independence? I object to being forced to do this," Hikigaya spoke, half-expecting his steadfast resolve to shine through his words, and achieve the freedom he so hardly needed. He had already made the shifts to his work happen. He could enjoy the freedom of not actually having to work or do anything for a few hours, blissfully snore peacefully, and instead...

"Schools are institutions meant to prepare you for society, Hikigaya. You, better than anyone else, should know how much society cares about your opinion," Shizuka smiled. It was the kind of smile that said that she had him because his own words were being used against him.

There was just a fallacy in that argument.

"My dream is to break free of society, hence, should my rebellion not actually be a sign of my purposeful ideals evolving?"

"Evolution in what, an incurable sickness?" his teacher replied.

Hikigaya scoffed. If he could become an incurable disease and infect everyone, then Madagascar would probably close its port and prevent a flawless victory. It was that kind of thing that kept Hikigaya from trying to evolve, definitely not the fact that it was biologically impossible for a complex organism to revert into a virus-like entity.

Still, the chat with Yukinoshita Yukino opened his eyes. It also firmly closed them shut. It also kind-of opened them halfway through. In the end, Cuteness wasn't really justice, as much as a magnet for injustice. Still, she definitely had a tongue and a barbed way of saying things. He could give just as much as he got, so that wasn't such a bad thing.

"You know, this club isn't so bad," Hikigaya remarked from his chair a short distance away from Yukino. "It's like the go home club for those who don't want to go home."

"That analogy was so pitiful it makes me want to cry," Yukino replied sharply, turning her head away, "Please don't presume I'd ever want to share a room willfully with the likes of you, much less a home."

"Oi, did you just drop the temperature in the room with words alone? What are you, a Yuki-onna?" Hikigaya replied, this time realizing that Yukino's eyes were harshly staring back at him.

"If I were, you'd be safe. They hunt men, not rotten fish-eyed faces," Yukino said, before returning her gaze to the book in front of her.

"Good news for me then," Hikigaya nodded. "I'm Yuki-immune. It means I won't have to run; I hate running."

This time, he had come prepared. He pulled out a comic, and began to read just as the conversation died out once more. It wasn't that he wasn't willing to defeat Yukino Yukinoshita in the game of improvements of one's life, but if there were no challengers, then he'd just win by default. Just like running away would have him lose by default.

Unfortunately, in the realm of workers, such a thing as reading a book was definitely not allowed. Sure, his job was golden, but it also came with some problems, especially with his shift rearranged in such a way as to begin to infringe in the domain of the late evening.

"You're a bit young for the service industry, aren't you?" a woman asked, her clothes surprisingly pristine and not at all like what one would expect a service girl to wear. Honestly, seeing her inside a supermarket would give him the idea of just another average lady in her thirties. At the same time, the kind of job she was doing didn't belong to the average ladies of the world.

Hikigaya tried to smile, and before he could as much as answer the woman snickered at him. "Please don't you smile at customers, like, ever." She shook her head, a nifty and cheaply dyed blond color with the roots of black showing through, "I'm Sachiko, the elder sister around these parts."

Hikigaya wasn't as stupid as to not connect the dots. He had done his research with the might of the movie industry at his beck and call through the wonders of the internet, and thus made a small bowing gesture. "Hikigaya Hachiman, elder sister."

"Uh? Nah, not in that sense," the lady snickered again, "Still, I get the Eight. Well, you're Eight, and I'm Sachi-chan, all right?" The disgust on Hikigaya's face must have been visible, because the woman's smile turned brittle as her eyes narrowed into thin fissures. "Sachi-chan, got it?"

"Yes, ma'am Sachi-chan."

"Oh, a feisty one," Sachi-chan grinned. "Enough chitchat for the day, gotta go get changed." She trudged off for the employees' changing rooms, and disappeared within it without another word. It wasn't like there was an uniform for the bar. Well, more like there wasn't a need for an uniform. Just as long as someone came in with a shirt, it was all right for the boss. Hikigaya definitely had no idea how this business could remain afloat with the cheap prices and the lack of an uniform, but it worked.

Thus, Hikigaya Hachiman slowly began to sink in the depths of Yami.

Or so he would think, if he were actually still in his Chuunibyou phase.

What emerged from the employees' lounge half an hour later was a sparkling thirty years old who faked being twenty years old, with a bright smile and enough make-up to make her look like a dazzling wax sculpture. Still, this was Hikigaya's own personal opinion, which incredibly added to further prove beyond doubt that all women were fake entities in it only for the money, the looks and whatnot. Buddha wasn't that wrong. He just had decided to accept the natural order of things.

Perhaps that was why he was Buddha in the end? He acknowledged the truth of women's fake-existence, and lived with it with the serene smile of a Buddha statue?

Still, Hikigaya accepted the situation with the polite calm and decorum of a Japanese high-school student who realized he's in the wrong place at the wrong time, and quietly enabled his Stealth-Hikki mechanism to appear the same color of the wallpaper. It probably wouldn't work with the customers, but as it was, he still had an hour to go before his shift ended.

It was kind of alienating how the place could change. The usual customers would disappear, the pachinko machines in the back hidden with cloth. The new customers would arrive, businessmen with ties and drunken faces, and they'd sit on plush sofas with small tables in front of them. Pretty girls would flock to them, grinning and smiling.

Throughout it all, Hikigaya wondered if they knew what kind of honey traps they were throwing themselves in. How could they not know? Everyone knew that, right? Were they blinding themselves willfully? Did the bald man with sparse hair really believe that Sachi-chan enjoyed his cheap jokes? Did the guy oozing an air of middle-age crisis really think himself charming and a ladies' man?

Honestly, looking at such a spectacle told Hikigaya that society, indeed, was made of trash and fakers who were in it only for their own personal gains.

So, yes, he considered himself superior to those men who dropped down on clean, but squeaky sofas and smoked overpriced cigarettes while drinking extremely pricey bottles of wine and champagne.

Was that a wrong thing to think?

Society definitely needed a revolution to happen.

He could be Comrade Hikigaya...

...but he had no party, and definitely didn't want to get purged.

This is a cross between Oregairu and what? What is the yakuza part, because I have no idea.

More importantly (imo), how will Hachiman having a part time job change the outcome of a certain service club request? Will Hachiman no longer convince her to push for a scholarship?
No crossover. He's just been shanghaied in to things.

Chapter Three
Chapter Three

Hikigaya Hachiman, 'Eight', was staring with uncertainty at the figure that had stepped inside the Service Club. Apparently, there was an over nine thousand slut-powered girl in his classroom. It was the only acceptable answer to the conundrum of why his eyes were being caught into a gravity well of its own creation. Still, he was a resolute young man, and thus his eyes moved straight into the safe territory of the ceiling, where nothing could ever go wrong.

"I skipped Home Economics class on the grounds that group work is not the same thing as being a solitary house-husband," Hikigaya said smoothly. "Why am I forced into stepping inside the dreaded classroom all the same? This is the place that crushes dreams, you know? Where boys expect to have doki-doki encounters with flour-nosed pretty girls who go all 'Tee-hee-hee'," Hikigaya even went as far as rap his knuckles against the side of his face, which earned twin looks of scandal and fright from Yukinoshita and Yuigahama.

"H-Hikki, that's gross," Yui said, her eyes darting towards the flour on the counter.

"Gross is an understatement of his delusions," Yukino remarked, "Terrifyingly out of touch with reality, dissociating oneself with the world around them...those are better descriptions of this incurable sickness."

The home economics room smelled of vanilla to Hikigaya's nose. With two pretty girls wearing aprons, clearly this was the start of his youthful romantic comedy. At least, on paper that was the case. In truth he was busily trying his best to nonchalantly ignore the gruesome murder on culinary cuisine that Yuigahama was perpetrating. Seriously, the girl was definitely the typical cute teenager to a T, and all that she was missing was the 'Like, seriously!' addition at the end of her sentences.

Yukino marvelously prepared some cookies, which were a light gold color and delicious to eat, while Yuigahama's own...well, the least said about it, the better.

"You know how in sleazy bars, middle-aged women wear thick makeup to hide their age?" Hikigaya ended up blurting at the sight of the blackened mass of biscuits in front of him, product of Yuigahama's work. "No amount of makeup would save these things from getting dumped."

"H-Hikki!" Yuigahama actually had tears in her eyes. "That's so mean!"

"Admittedly," Yukino acquiesced, gazing at the dark mass that oozed poisonous clouds of toxic miasma, "These don't look edible..." she took a tiny piece into her mouth, "They...well, they're not outright deadly?"

"Y-You don't have to say it like that!" Yuigahama's tears were pretty clearly holding themselves back only because of the makeup covering her face, forming a natural water-resistant barrier to the salty liquids. "M-Maybe I shouldn't have added the coffee? I know it's such a silly idea to make homemade cookies, so out of touch..."

Hikigaya sighed. "That doesn't really matter," he smirked. "You know why the fat, bald businessman keeps heading into a sleazy bar filled with hostesses?"

"I am afraid to see the end of this allegory," Yukino spoke, quite truthfully pondering on where Hikigaya was heading, and quite determinedly deciding it was a deep, dark end.

"It's because it tickles his pride to be fawned over by women," Hikigaya raised his chin up, as if dispensing absolute wisdom. "Men are simple creatures. You fawn over them and they cave in immediately. Just give the guy whatever cookies you want; as long as you say they're homemade and you're the one who made them, since you're cute, it's going to be okay."

Yuigahama blinked, "That's..."

"Terrifying," Yukino finished. "You're saying that no amount of work or self-improvement is needed, just as long as the product is delivered through a mean that is 'cute'?"

Hachiman nodded. "Isn't that how society convinces people to buy trash through the television? Sexy models, beautiful women, cute animals...as long as it's cute, it sells." He scrunched his face up in thought. "That's the fakeness of society, but unless it's me, then it's definitely going to work. I've long understood it, so I'm not going to fall so easily in such a trap."

"I can't accept such a solution," Yukino acquiesced. "It would mean having no need to change, just as long as you're born in a certain way."

Hikigaya nodded.

Yuigahama exhaled, and then shook her head. "Maybe...maybe that's true," she said, "But still...I'd rather make something a bit more...edible, don't you think that would be better?"

Hikigaya shrugged, "Probably," he nodded. "If the product's good and the delivery is cute too, then it's a big plus in the books of simple-hearted men." This seemed to cheer up Yuigahama, who immediately went to work once more with renewed vigor, Yukinoshita actually helping her out here and there with pointers and suggestions. Still, at the end of the allotted time, average-tasting biscuits were made.

Yuigahama also ended up with some flour on her nose, but Yukino's fast acting towel-throwing saved her from the embarrassment of having Hikigaya point it out. Though somehow that made Yuigahama pout, it was definitely because she was putting up a fake silly persona to elicit some kind of laughter and keep the attention away from her work.

With the final product tallied up and divided into three small piles, Yuigahama grinned as she handed them over. "Thank you for helping me," she said, "It was fun!"

Hikigaya was simply glad he had managed to get himself something to snack on later during the day, when his shift began at the bar.

"You the new hire?" was apparently the question a lot of regular customers asked, which was equally answered with a nod. A couple of seconds later, his nickname was mentioned and thus cemented.

"So kiddo, how are you finding work around these parts?" a bespectacled man asked, the suit opened and the shirt beneath creased, colorful tattoos on his arms since the sleeves were rolled up. "Nice and friendly people, ain't that right?" he rhetorically asked, receiving thus just a nod in reply from Hikigaya. "Good to know you're on board, Eight." He winked. "So, what's High-School like these days?"

"The usual," Hikigaya replied.

"Man, you're the talkative type, uh?" the man grinned as he said that, "I remember back in my days they had physical punishments dished out for the tiniest things," he made a snip-snip gesture with his fingers, "I got my nickname of Scissors because that's how I answered back." He winked. "Gotta get the right tool for the right job, you know? When you're just a kid, a pair of scissors makes all the difference against the bullies."

Hikigaya raised an eyebrow. "I'm not being bullied."

"Say no more, my friend!" Scissors actually nodded wisely at his words. "Your fish-like eyes, your slumped and depressed face! I've seen it a lot in my business with those at the end of their rope! You're a man who's seen the world for what it is, and you just can't wait to grow up and change it yourself, no?"

"Actually, I'd rather not; it's a lot of work to change oneself, let alone the world, and I'm not inclined in changing myself," Hikigaya retorted, the dish he was cleaning now squeaky clean.

"It's not like you can avoid that," Scissors grinned. "I went from stabbing people with scissors to using scissors to cut up papers," he winked again. Did he have a nervous tick or something? "It's not like I changed or anything, but it just happened. Change is both conscious and unconscious. One day you're one thing, tomorrow you'll be another. Bit by bit, piece by piece, you're bound to change." He tapped his index finger on the counter. "And one day, you'll become a completely different person, but you'll become it gradually! So you won't realize it..." he jabbed his thumb at his own chest, "But you'll become a great guy, just as long as you change in the right direction."

"You like talking, don't you?" Hikigaya said, rhetorically of course.

Scissors simply smiled, and shrugged. "Hand me a beer from the fridge. I get thirsty talking, or I talk to get thirsty? True life mystery, man!"

Hikigaya handed the man a beer, and then proceeded to clean another plate while pondering life's greatest mystery...

...two guys used to wait for Godot near a tree...

...Perhaps they should have waited for him in a sleazy Yakuza bar.

"It's not like I changed or anything, but it just happened. Change is both conscious and unconscious. One day you're one thing, tomorrow you'll be another. Bit by bit, piece by piece, you're bound to change." He tapped his index finger on the counter. "And one day, you'll become a completely different person, but you'll become it gradually! So you won't realize it..."

This is sending me all sorts of premonitions about the direction of this fic, and Hachiman's life in general.

You know, I didn't think it was possible for Hachiman to get more cynical without being in a grimdark setting. Shade however proved me wrong.

You know, I didn't think it was possible for Hachiman to get more cynical without being in a grimdark setting. Shade however proved me wrong.

I think it's more that Hachiman opened himself up for a new world. His cynicism has staid the same, it's just that he compared it to different values because of the experiences he has met in his life.

What if he gotten himself entangled in someone working in the National Diet?
What if he somehow became best mates with a Drill Sergeant from the SDF?
What if he got roped into helping a perverted manga artist finishing her Ecchi Manga on time?

"It's not like you can avoid that," Scissors grinned. "I went from stabbing people with scissors to using scissors to cut up papers," he winked again. Did he have a nervous tick or something? "It's not like I changed or anything, but it just happened. Change is both conscious and unconscious. One day you're one thing, tomorrow you'll be another. Bit by bit, piece by piece, you're bound to change." He tapped his index finger on the counter. "And one day, you'll become a completely different person, but you'll become it gradually! So you won't realize it..." he jabbed his thumb at his own chest, "But you'll become a great guy, just as long as you change in the right direction."

This guys is right. You can't stop change, we can easily say that Hachiman has already changed a lot compared to his canon self. It all depends on who he meets and what kind of situations he stumbles into.

Changes happen whether one wants it or not. It could happened gradually or instantly. And if gradually, only someone with outside perspective would notice the changes.

That was why I like the S2 of the anime.

By the way, that were an awful lot of new tags. Did you made it Shade, with your mods superpower?

Last edited:
Ugh, I'm usually all for tragedy and tears, but I like the cast of Oregairu too much. I hope you change for the better, 8man. o7

im starting to wait when some of the elder sisters from work find him with yui and yukinoshita XD

Back