Vote closed
Scheduled vote count started by TempestK on Aug 20, 2024 at 12:35 PM, finished with 108 posts and 82 votes.

Just... lets not make it like normal petting zoos... screaming kids chasing the dinos around. Kids rubbing their hands all over the nose of an obviously sick and miserable animal then stuffing their fingers in their mouth. The triceratops rides... ugh.

Just... lets not make it like normal petting zoos... screaming kids chasing the dinos around. Kids rubbing their hands all over the nose of an obviously sick and miserable animal then stuffing their fingers in their mouth. The triceratops rides... ugh.
Agreed.

The only reasons I'm supporting this idea are that we used to be a zoo veterinarian and are therefore probably familiar with all the horror stories and failure points of this kind of attraction along with the fact that Jurassic Park is still years away from opening so we should have more than enough time to stress test the idea.

Actually TempestK I know that we're keeping the timeline loose but once we start getting near the point where the Park would have canonically opened do you think you could have a countdown somewhere in each update to indicate how many years we have until opening day? For example we wouldn't want to jump into reviving a Spinosaurus a year much less a few months before Jurassic Park opens. There are bound to be curve balls we the voters don't see coming but I'd rather not sleepwalk into the ones that we're well aware of.

edit: The key is to do better than Jurassic World did. With someone with actual Zoo experience at the helm we can potentially turn the only attraction in Jurassic World without a body count into the single best Petting Zoo in the world when it comes to the health and emotional well being of everyone involved.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to what the petting zoo idea will bring to the quest - like. What measures get brought up, what happens, the choices that Elliot will make, etc. Whether it works out or not, I'm sure it'll be pretty fun to read!

this will likely end poorly but at least it be interesting to read.

i am sure we can fix some of the damage with our medical or robotic company somehow.

A lot is going to hinge on which species of dino is going in the petting zoo.
Personally, I'd say baby and juvenile dinos are right out.
Instead, something that's small at full growth, and preferably a herbivore that's either smart enough to enjoy it, or dumb enough not to care.

In order to not stress the dinosaurs, the zoo could institute shifts of dinosaurs, so no dinosaur would have to be in this petting zone for very long.
In order to make the stream of people wanting to pet a real living dinosaur less of a source of stress for the animals, make several petting zones, could also make the experience a preorder ticket deal, so that the zoo has more control over the the amount of people in contact with within a certain timeframe.

So have certain number petting zoo's where you have like daily 4-8 shifts of dino's at each petting zoo that only have to be there for 2-3 hours or less each shift, the park restricting the petting zoo's to tickets only, and limiting the amount of tickets to a petting zoo's daily quota and the ticket only being valid to the holders for a specific petting zoo at a specific timeslot.

Last edited:
A lot is going to hinge on which species of dino is going in the petting zoo.
Personally, I'd say baby and juvenile dinos are right out.
Instead, something that's small at full growth, and preferably a herbivore that's either smart enough to enjoy it, or dumb enough not to care.
There are few small herbivores that could fit the bill quite nicely; e.g. Homalocephale, Hypsilophodon, Minmi, Nanosaurus and Psittacosaurus. Theoretically speaking, Dryosaurus could also work if we want something a little bigger for the petting zoo.

No. No it would not.
If kept at like one at a time, it would. They are only deadly in a swarm. A single compy cannot do too much damage, any venom is a sedative/pain reliever so bites wouldn't even hurt but it would also take a ton of bites to mean anything, and if you give it food it'll like you. They are basically chicken cats. The only times they hurt people in the movies was if they attacked them first. They are scavengers used to avoiding larger creatures.

The only times they hurt people in the movies was if they attacked them first.
Or when they were in a big enough pack that they thought they could effectively attack a larger creature even after it gave them food. There's a reason they don't have opossums or other opportunistic scavengers in petting zoos usually.

Back