This is off topic.

I'd much rather read Shade's fic and discussion's relating to it!

If you want to discuss terrorist effectiveness, then PM me instead.

Last edited:
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Eighteen

Cloud walked out a few minutes later, and Tifa sighed as she began cleaning the counter again. I merely took a seat in front of her, and smiled lightly, my fingers clasped together. Tifa shot me a glance, but continued with her work. "I have the feeling you're enjoying thinking about stuff that isn't there," Tifa mumbled, pushing a lock of hair behind her ear. She stretched a bit by allowing her right arm first, and then her left, to pass over her chest as she made small turns with her midriff.

I simply hummed for a slight bit, my eyes anywhere but on her chest, and then exhaled. "Listen," I said, "I know Jessie is building a bomb," at that, Tifa's eyes widened only slightly, and then they moved to look at the kitchen door, before returning on me. "And I know from Wedge and Biggs that the plan's to make it blow up the Reactor in Sector One," I continued in a whispered voice, moving slightly closer and lifting a hand to cover my mouth. "And that's fine," I said calmly. "I understand, really. Just...does the plan account for the people working there?"

I remembered the main reason that the trio hadn't been allowed to 'pass on' in the lifestream had been because of their believes about the 'sins' committed in making the reactor explode, and while the explosion had to happen, I could at least spare the trio their sense of guilt and subsequent non-disappearance in the lifestream if the worst came to pass and they died just like in the canon universe.

Tifa blinked, and then frowned. "What do you mean?" she asked.

"You know...the workers, the guys that are always there keeping the reactor working. The guy who cleans the floors in the middle of the night, those guys-" I said. "Those guys that will be there. I'm not talking about the security or the military police, but the civilians. Those who didn't sign up to fight for Shinra, but just work to bring home their wages."

Tifa tapped with her index finger on a glass she had taken in her hands. "They signed up with Shinra. They take money from a corporation that runs the planet's life dry," Tifa said flatly, turning the glass to check it for smudges or signs of dirt. "Why should we try to save them, if they won't even try to save the planet?"

"Because we're better than Shinra?" I hazarded. "One should be careful that, in fighting monsters, one does not become a monster himself," I said. "But I'm not saying we should evacuate them. I'm saying...the reactor should have an alarm of sorts concerning fire, emergency shutdowns, and the likes right? Once the bomb's placed, what's the cost in letting the fire alarm ring?"

Tifa placed the glass back on the counter, light cracks visible across its surface that hadn't been there before. "You'd have to ask Jessie that, and Barret would have to okay it," she said calmly. "There might be far more risks involved than-even now, assaulting a Reactor is something pretty big. We don't know if we're going to make it alone. That's why Barret wasn't that much against hiring you. The more people we are, the easier it's going to be...for a certain value of easy." She placed both hands flat on the counter, staring at me as she drove the point home. "Shinra might not be made only of SOLDIERS and Turks, but the people that are willing to work with evil and for evil are no better than them."

I stared right back at her, my expression unfaltering. Please woman, I faced Calculus. You? You've got nothing on Differential Equations. "Perhaps," I acquiesced, "or perhaps they know no better. It's not like an evil corporation would write 'We are evil' on their business cards now, would they?" I said with a small smile.

"For someone who wants to kill a few people in Shinra, you are awfully understanding of Shinra," Tifa said calmly. "How come?"

I scratched the back of my head and shrugged. "What can I say?" I remarked, "Maybe it's that I can distinguish between evil and ignorance. Just like you haven't tried to poison your childhood friend for the sin of having been in SOLDIER yet, I don't see why I should burn, shock or put in ice people who have never wielded a weapon against me to begin with," I propped my chin over the back of my hand, my elbow firmly placed on the counter as I kept my smile up. Tifa had the decency to look slightly off balance at been thrown the 'Cloud' curveball. "Different perspectives, perhaps tied to the wisdom of being old." I nodded most wisely, clutching my chest over my heart with my free hand. "You hear me, whippersnapper? Bow to the wisdom of your elders."

"You're not that much older," Tifa said with a smile threatening to emerge from her lips, but she managed to keep it down, tenacious woman that she was. "You don't look that much older than me," she corrected a moment later.

"Even a single year can make the difference," I said quite calmly, channeling my inner zen. "Still, I'll see what I can find out from Jessie. Maybe if all it takes is to remember to push a button, I can convince the boss to let me press it."

Hopefully it would be something that simple, because while I had no problems with pushing buttons, I doubted Restore would help against a Reactor explosion if I found myself the target of one.

Tifa didn't say anything else, and as I patiently waited, Jessie and Biggs returned with quite the amount of thick leather squares and clothes. "I'm still saying we should test your resilience to Mako," Jessie said with a huff, as she had enough leather in her arms to outfit a small army. "Sewing isn't something I'm good at."

"You're always in time to learn," I replied from my spot by the counter. "Knowing how to sew makes someone more motherly," I continued. "Or how to knit a sweater," I added thoughtfully. "I can show you later if you want."

"You...know how to sew?" Tifa asked, her eyes slightly wide.

"Aye," I replied, "And I can knit a sweater together too," I blinked at the looks I received from everyone in the room, which were a mixture of disbelief and shock. "What? Don't look at me like that! My grandmother taught me! It's not that difficult-well, mostly-but give me two balls of wool or whatever passes for wool around these parts and you'll see if I'm lying or not! As for sewing...well, ever had to stitch holes? Better to know how than not to, right?" Also, it helped a lot with Larp costumes. Going through thorns to avoid evil Game Masters pursuing you with their 'monsters' persona makes for interesting cuts and wounds.

Biggs snorted, dropping his load of leather squares on the nearby table, "This explains so much."

"What does?" I asked as I stood up from the bar's stool, heading towards the table where the leather had been dropped and whistling at its weight as I pulled up a few squares to put in my arms.

"You don't have to hide it," Biggs said. "If you want, I can even show you a gym where you can be your own self." He wasn't even being sarcastic. He was being quite honest, and forthcoming. "I'm not going to judge you on that. I might have words about your aim with your gun, but hey, crossdressing is practically a Slum thing around-"

"Biggs," I said cutting him off, "Thanks for the offer, but no." I smiled softly. "I'll give Jessie a hand sewing this together." I looked at him, "Can you take over my role as Tifa's guard against the yet-to-come Ex-SOLDIER?"

Tifa didn't say anything, but smiled a bit as I headed down with Jessie, Biggs taking my place by the counter. Down in the basement, in a corner -in the same room where we slept, I might add- there was a bomb. Next to the bomb, there was a large, four to five inches thick, iron basket with a sealed off lid like that of a pressure platter. Inside were the crystallized bits and pieces of Mako that weren't Materia shards, but simply Mako condensed and spewed out from a Reactor.

"Let's just try to get a shape going before we begin cutting," Jessie said as she grabbed a piece of chalk and spread open the leather squares on the table. I did the same on my side, although my drawing skills weren't quite up to par. No, scratch that, I couldn't draw to save my life.

"There's something I wanted to ask," I said as Jessie began to work on the leather, my arms crossed in front of my chest and the chalk gently deposited as I admitted my defeat to the gods of Chalk-Mastery. Jessie had meanwhile grabbed her loose hair and turned it into a ponytail behind her head, removing most of her armor to remain with her blue outfit and have ease of movement. "The plan's to blow up the Reactor in Section One," I began, "using that bomb over there, and delivering it by hiding inside the train supplying the Reactor," I continued. "Since this is going to be something...big, everything was planned down to the smallest detail, right?"

Jessie sighed, not even bothering to act surprised, "Biggs and Wedge opened their mouths?"

"Aye," I acquiesced.

"Well then, yes," Jessie said with a nod. "That's the plan. We got everything. A map of the Reactor, the hours when the guards change their shift, and we even picked up on when they'd be upgrading their robot sentries." She looked at me with a satisfied and smug expression on her face, and also a sense of stubbornness I could hardly place until her next words came out of her mouth, "You think you've got a better plan?"

Was she still sour because I had accidentally, in the heat of things, said aloud it was her fault for the waves of robots back in the Train Graveyard? I raised both hands in the air in mock surrender, shaking my head sharply. "Nope," I said. "Just wondering...what about the civilian casualties?"

"We aren't going to target civilians," Jessie said, furrowing her brows. "And we're hitting the Reactor in the middle of the night. The lightest guard shift is from two o'clock to three-" she blinked, "Are you referring to the houses near the site of the explosion?"

"That, and the janitors," I said. "The guys who, you know, clean the place?"

"There are robots for that," Jessie said, humming thoughtfully, "But if the Reactor does explode, I can't control where the wreckage's going to fall."

"About that," I said earnestly, "What about having a fire alarm or a notice about the Reactor exploding soon play once the bomb is set? Something to give people the time to leave the premises, or run for shelter-"

"That would call Shinra's security on us," Jessie said, grimacing. "It's not going to be easy to leave the place once we attack it, and if we trip an alarm? It's going to send in all sorts of automated defenses. Sure, we might save a life or two, but the risk of capture is going to skyrocket. And if we get captured, we can't save the planet, and thus everyone else, any longer. Shinra will have us placed in front of a firing squad, and executed."

I clicked my tongue against the back of my teeth, and sighed, putting both arms behind my head for a brief moment, eyes closed in concentration. "And about setting the timer a bit higher?" I hazarded, "And then putting a program inside the-"

Jessie shook her head. "This isn't a movie," she said gently. "I can't just come up with something that would bypass Shinra's security and also install prohibited firmware while their SysAdmins are checking on their servers day and night. At most, I have limited windows of opportunity I can use to open doors that aren't supposed to be open and close them soon after," she looked down at the chalk line she had traced on the leather. "But in the end, we're making a difference," she added. "We're saving the planet, and that's what matters," she awkwardly rubbed her left arm with her right hand, looking ashamedly away. "Even if we have to make sacrifices-"

"We aren't the ones making the sacrifice," I said sharply. "We're the ones pushing a button that will kill innocents because we couldn't think of a better solution."

"Well," Jessie said, "Do you have a better idea?"

I thoughtfully looked away for a bit, and then back at her. "No," I said awkwardly. There were dozens of things one could do, but none of those would work in ensuring we'd get our chance at entering Shinra's Headquarters in the right moment and in the right way. The problem wasn't just gaining access, which could be obtained by climbing up the demolished Sector Seven plate through the 'wire of hope' in Wall Market, but everything connected to it.

Technically, lowering the number of casualties while allowing the accidents to still happen would do the world good. On the other hand...

"Did you ever get around to forging me that fake id?" I asked offhandedly, only for Jessie to slap a hand against her forehead and then rush to the computer by the corner. A few pushes later, and she printed out said forgery which she handed over with a smile. It looked like a thin credit card, if with a strange chip-like square in a corner of it.

"Here you go! Top of the line Jessie-Industries!" and as soon as she handed me over the plastic card, I flipped it back and forth before placing it inside my pocket.

I had just had a great idea.

It was time to derail the train on its track just a tiny bit more.

S'good that your self-insert focuses on how much destruction (and despair) the reactor going KABLOOM can cause. Avalanche does seem a bit self-righteous... maybe more than just a little bit, to be perfectly honest.

And if they're gonna go ahead with their current plans to destroy the reactor, knowing that innocents are gonna get killed, innocent lives that *could* be saved but that are ignored because "it'd make things too hard for us"... well, at that point, they don't get to say they're any better than Shinra, because Shinra does the exact same thing; destroy lives, and give zero fucks about the consequences.

If they're not ready to go the extra mile to save lives, they don't get to call themselves protectors of the planet, because people are a part of the planet too!

Was a great chapter, hoping to see more interaction and dialogue surrounding this issue. ;)

S'good that your self-insert focuses on how much destruction (and despair) the reactor going KABLOOM can cause. Avalanche does seem a bit self-righteous... maybe more than just a little bit, to be perfectly honest.

And if they're gonna go ahead with their current plans to destroy the reactor, knowing that innocents are gonna get killed, innocent lives that *could* be saved but that are ignored because "it'd make things too hard for us"... well, at that point, they don't get to say they're any better than Shinra, because Shinra does the exact same thing; destroy lives, and give zero fucks about the consequences.

If they're not ready to go the extra mile to save lives, they don't get to call themselves protectors of the planet, because people are a part of the planet too!

Was a great chapter, hoping to see more interaction and dialogue surrounding this issue. ;)
Speaking of which, given that they certainly don't have the means to actually stop all the reactors, what will destroying this reactor actually accomplish? Sure, it'll be marginally less taxing to the planet for a little while until they rebuild and repair the reactor, but this is hardly the only reactor Shinra has, even if it's one of the big ones. Are they just trying to "send a message" with it?

Speaking as the healer player who patches up any surviving enemy mooks (to "not bleeding out" levels, anyway) after the fight once the party's taken care of and has a giant robot that fights with martial arts because all its special techniques are for damage control and wide-area repair, I approve of this chapter.

ok, what game is this that lets you do that?
Tabletop RPGs. In this specific case, a Mekton Zeta based forum game where the party are basically Space Police tokubetsu senjutsu butai (Explosion of rainbow smoke!) so capturing enemies is well within their mandate.

Last edited:

Frankly, having a few dozen people die so that the planet can keep surviving, and therefore let billions of other people live, in the future, is worth it, IMO.

Also, people are one of the the little things that live on top of (and sometimes inside of) a planet.

Last edited:
Frankly, having a few dozen people die so that the planet can keep surviving, and therefore let billions of other people live, in the future, is worth it, IMO.

Also, people are one of the the little things that live on top of (and sometimes inside of) a planet.
A single reactor ain't going to do squat.

There are eleven known active reactors, one of which is in Deepground territory and another is underwater with very few entrances. As long as even one of them is active, wrecking the others would only slow it down.

Ironically, if Shade confronted Barret he could literally call him on his bullshit. After all, the destruction of Barret's hometown was triggered by blowing up a nearby reactor.

There are eleven known active reactors, one of which is in Deepground territory and another is underwater with very few entrances. As long as even one of them is active, wrecking the others would only slow it down.

Weren't there like 15? 9 in Midgard the rest in other places. Well, Corel blew up before the game, and I thiiink Gongaga was a ruin too. So 13?
I'm probably misremembering.

I refuse to believe that just 15 reactors are enough to supply all the worlds electricity though. Especially when Midgard needed freaking 9 of them.
Or did most of the Midgard power get shipped out to other places?

Weren't there like 15? 9 in Midgard the rest in other places. Well, Corel blew up before the game, and I thiiink Gongaga was a ruin too. So 13?

I refuse to believe that just 15 reactors are enough to supply all the worlds electricity though. Especially when Midgard needed freaking 9 of them.

It's possible that some of the world's power is supplied by other kinds of generators.

Some of which may use magic to run the generators. Heck Thundaga cast on an array of capacitors should provide energy.

Not to mention conventional energy production was probably widespread before they switched to Mako.

Last edited:

Whoever wrote the plot of FF7 didn't understand what scale means?

Shinra is essentially a mega corp so rich that it rivals actual govenments. The conceit of it's riches comes from the ability to sell electricity in bulk at a premium price. However we don't see the world use electricity in such an insane amount that would justify Shinra getting as rich as it is. Which is where the conceit fails.

If you exclude Gongaga, Corel, Fort Condor and Nibelheim (which might be active or not after the 'incident')...

That would leave ten in Midgar (Numbered 0-9) and one in Junon.

As for Power? I guess that ten is far more than needed to run Midgar by itself. Odds are that the bulk of it is shipped off to other cities. Nothing official since this wasn't really fully developed.

If you exclude Gongaga, Corel, Fort Condor and Nibelheim (which might be active or not after the 'incident')...

That would leave ten in Midgar (Numbered 0-9) and one in Junon.

As for Power? I guess that ten is far more than needed to run Midgar by itself. Odds are that the bulk of it is shipped off to other cities. Nothing official since this wasn't really fully developed.
Mako is used for producing certain types of weapons and materia as well. It may be that some of the reactors in Midgard are meant for securing Shinra's military might and power rather than just directly producing electricity. :shrugs:

Mako is used for producing certain types of weapons and materia as well. It may be that some of the reactors in Midgard are meant for securing Shinra's military might and power rather than just directly producing electricity. :shrugs:

And Monsters. Can't forget that Shinra literally manufactures threats for them to come in and save the civilians and be regarded as heroes.

So there is that to take into consideration.

Throwing a powerful monster or dozen at a rural area and then having Shinra forces eliminate the threat is going to cause some major goodwill.

One wonders what the explanation for such Monsters are, but given that there are many hostile lifeforms in areas where it is not really feasible for Shinra to have planted experiments and Literal Undead running around certain places in the world they can probably be explained away.

Especially since Shinra has control of the media.

And then there is the "Official" Bioweapons Division that the public would be aware of breeding the "Trained Animals" Shinra uses and Hojo in all of his insanity to take into account...........

So Mako being used on Living Things is also something that must be accounted for when thinking about how Shinra uses it.

Ugh, statements like these always grind my gears... because people in general, like Shade mentioned, are all too willing to sacrifice *others* for the "greater good", but rarely does that include themselves or their own loved ones. It's always "worth it", when the ones having to die aren't anyone they know.

When it's *their* mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters and children that have to die... when they have to look their *own* family and friends in the eyes and let them die to serve a greater purpose, suddenly the "greater good" doesn't seem all that good anymore. If Barret had to sacrifice Marlene to "save the planet", d'ya think he'd be willing to do it? Probably not. He might hate himself for it, but he'd prioritize her over anything else in the world, including the world itself.

So, he doesn't get to say "sacrifices have to be made" regarding other people, when he would never be able to make such a sacrifice himself. And if Avalanche doesn't go the extra mile, that exact same thing could happen. Not to Marlene, but to some other kid tragically hit by falling debris, or to a parent that never got out of the reactor in time and thus never comes home from work that day. And if they're so coldblooded that they can shrug their shoulders and go ahead with it anyway... well, they can still do whatever the f*ck they want, but they don't get to call themselves protectors of the planet anymore.

That's not to say that everything always goes smoothly if you work hard. It doesn't. Sometimes, lives are lost; tragic though it might be, it happens, because you can't plan for every complication, or every outcome. Sometimes, you just don't have enough time to save everyone. But any person or organisation who doesn't do *EVERYTHING* in their power to avoid and minimize innocent lives lost, does not deserve to call themselves good. All too often, lives are lost not because it's *necessary*, but because it's *easy*.

But hey, that's just my own opinion, and I know for a fact I can be a bit of an idealistic idiot sometimes, so take it with a grain of salt.

/rant over

Last edited:
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Nineteen

The Midgar train didn't require a ticket. It was a show of Shinra's goodwill that anyone with a valid Identification Paper could climb aboard and go do his business anywhere else in the other sectors. The train made an ascending spiral around the main supporting pillar upon which Shinra's Headquarters were located, and at regular intervals flashes of light passed through the carriages, the scanners checking our papers.

Jessie's paper worked, true to the woman's skills. Thus, as I neatly descended from the train to gaze at the beautiful Midgar sky with streaks of smoke coming from the Mako Reactors, I looked around. The station above-plate was a wonder, and there was more than one train as it turned out. While the train I had taken went 'all around' there were trains that went to the far edges of the plate, and others who instead went for the outskirts of it.

Shinra's Military Police patrolled the area, their crimson visors moving through the crowd, their machineguns clutched tightly in their arms. The people around were definitely better dressed, and far less armed. Near the station, a few limb-lacking men stood by asking for Gil, but I ignored them as I made my way past the station's outskirts, and into the main street proper.

I had ditched the armor, since it wouldn't help me in what I planned to do. The Materia's shine would have been difficult to hide, but the thick leather of the impromptu jacket -once you removed the metal plates, it was nothing more than a leather jacket- helped in hiding the glow. I didn't have thick enough gloves to hide the gauntlets, but I had stashed them in the inner pockets of my jacket and hopefully, I'd manage all of this without having to go for them even once.

'Hopefully' was a lofty term.

Although, honestly, if all it took to enter Shinra's Headquarters was to walk up the front door in civilian attire, I wonder why Barret and co didn't do it to begin with.

Oh, right, they had no way of getting on the upper floors without being swarmed by SOLDIER and Shinra's Military Police. The receptionist by the counter smiled at me as I stepped inside, and I returned the smile.

"Good morning," I said. "Is Mister Tseng available?" I asked.

The secretary faltered only briefly, but then checked on her computer for a number and tapped it on her phone. After a short ring, the woman spoke in the phone, "Sir? There's a gentleman here to see you-"

I looked around for a camera, or what passed off for a camera, and then returned my attention to the secretary in question.

"Oh, do tell him my name is Dlev," I said, with my arms propped on the counter. "We have a friend in common and he told me to come over here to talk business with good old Tseng."

The secretary blinked, but then sharply nodded as her back stiffened from whatever Tseng was telling her through the phone. He must have heard, because how could he not? The next moment, the woman closed the phone and handed me over a badge with the words 'High Clearance' written on it. "Mister Tseng is waiting for you on floor forty-six," she said with a strained smile. She also pushed a button, and gestured with the side of her head to the nearby metal detectors.

Oh. Thank you Tseng for so politely deactivating the metal detectors I had completely forgotten about. Well, this was going better than I expected. As I stepped past the metal detectors, which didn't ring although I was definitely carrying the metallic straps of the gauntlets, or perhaps they were materia detectors and I had just avoided making the whole place sound up in alarm, I walked up the stairs on my way to the elevator, pushing a button to call it to my floor.

I hummed lightly as I watched a nearby Military Police soldier give me a glance. I smiled back, nodding my head. "Keep up the good work," I said with a wink as the door opened up, allowing me entrance as a few other employees instead filtered outside. I pushed the button for the intended floor, and as I showed the passcard to the nearby screen, the red ring around the number that I had pushed turned briefly green, and the doors closed with a hiss.

Thus, it was on floor forty-six that the doors opened to a sour-looking Tseng. I smiled, and he didn't. His raven shoulder-length hair and the tiny dot on his forehead were his defining features, that and the sour expression on his face.

"You should date a bit, might ease the tension," I said as I calmly walked out of the elevator. Nervous-talk? Nervous talk. As long as I remembered what I could say and what I couldn't say, then everything would go swimmingly well. My palms were sweating, but since I had them clenched, he couldn't realize that.

The corridors around us were lit with pale light, which reflected the majority of the dark blue colored furniture and clothes. Everything in the floor seemed to scream 'Turk', from the smell of weapon oils to the perfume that reeked of high quality.

"After you," Tseng said curtly, extending an arm to show me a direction, his other limp near his side -definitely near his gun, without a doubt.

"Come on now," I said offhandedly as I began to walk in front of him. "We are Turks. We complete the mission. No matter the cost," I said with a dry wit. "Your's a bit long in the making, but hey, I'd have thought it would make it easier for you if I showed up with a bright blue jacket."

"Amusing," Tseng said. "You wouldn't be fit for the Turks even in a hundred years," he dryly added.

"Touché, touché," I shrugged lightly. "Which is why I'm perfect, ain't I?" I pushed my glasses up the bridge of my nose. "I mean, I even bothered getting closer to Miss Gainsborough," I said in a murmur, "And we both know just how important she is as the last of the Cetra, don't we?"

"Your knowledge either lends you credibility, or is simply further proof of Heidegger's incapacity in hiding information," Tseng said flatly, "Stop." He pushed a button by a nearby door, and as it opened to reveal quite a large office, he inclined his head to gesture me inside.

As I stepped through the doorway, I saw a refined wooden desk with a computer hanging by one side of it, a large window that gave onto the city of Midgar, and more than a few shelves filled with documents. On a nearby desk, half a dozen of alcoholic bottles stood closed, sealed and never opened.

The door hissed to a close behind me as Tseng pushed me lightly with the tip of his gun towards the chair in front of his desk, and as he now made no show of hiding his gun, he propped his wrist on the desk's surface and took a seat opposite of me. "Start from the beginning," Tseng said.

"In the beginning," I remarked, "There was a mad scientist by the name of Fuhito who experimented on Veld's daughter, by the name of Efe, to summon Zirconiade and cause the Turks to fight it. He wanted the complete eradication of human life for the sake of the planet, and the Turks in a battle of valor destroyed the monster, before heading into exile where they, in the end, had to return from to face the Jade Weapon. Then they went back to their lives of exile," I pointed out. "Though it seems a certain someone took out 'hit assassinations' on them, he made a poor job since they all walked out of those alive and unharmed, and with new identities-Elena's sister is doing fine by the way," I winked.

Tseng blinked, but remained unfazed. "Now, up to me not meeting your standards for a Turk? Because that's part of the point. You know, you can't infiltrate a terrorist organization if you look like you belong to the Turks. Ever tried that? They don't even let you in through the back door, sheesh." I shrugged. "But you know that, didn't you? Your pretty act of chivalry with Miss Gainsborough when she entered that den in Sector Seven." I grinned slightly. "You even had someone beat me a bit, I'm touched for your concern on the miss. What were you, afraid I'd hurt her precious feelings?"

There it was. A tiny twitch on Tseng's lips, which was followed by a creasing of his forehead, if slightly. "Don't worry though, I'm not here for that. I'm here because the Boss, or Ex-Boss," I amended, "Caught the signs of something bad, something really bad," I sighed. "Something so, so, so bad he had to send someone to warn you. Someone who could waltz in the Shinra Headquarters without triggering alarms, or facial recognition software, or...pretty much everything else," I gave him a tiny wave and a mock bow. "So here I am, Turk Shade, at your service. My specialty? Infiltration."

Tseng didn't answer at first, but in the end, he did place the gun by his side and clasped both hands together. "What is it that requires him to break his exile so much? Even when looking for him, I never managed to find out where he had gone into hiding," he looked at me as if expecting me to answer that question, but I shook my head.

"No fishing for information from me, New Boss," I raised both hands in mock defeat, "I'm sealed tighter than a Mako Reactor," I chuckled lightly. "There's been...movement. Something's going on that's sending the monsters in North Crater in a frenzy, and wouldn't you know it, there's only one thing in North Crater that could make that happen," I looked at him, but Tseng didn't answer. He didn't have a clue, did he?

"Sephiroth's corpse," I said flatly. "The SOLDIER par excellence," I grimaced, "Is right there, sending all of the nearby monsters in frenzies and expanding his range as he does that. I know, I know, it sounds crazy, and trust me, if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I wouldn't have believed it," I began to thump my right foot on the ground rhythmically, my hands clasped together even tighter. "That place...brrr, it gives you the chills man."

"So?" Tseng asked, not seeing the point.

"Right, right, you wouldn't know," I acquiesced, "You do know SOLDIER's process requires their infusion in Mako energy and the injection of Jenova cells inside the bodies of strong men, right? Course you do," I smiled. "Problem is, Sephiroth's capable of exercising control over those cells, and he's the one pulling the strings. Yep, it's as bad as it sounds. Right now, running around these Headquarters, there are potential traitors going about their own business, but if Sephiroth's range extends past a certain threshold, if he grows more powerful, then it's over-he'll overrun this place in a moment and recover Jenova, which Hojo has tightly packed away in his own floor, and then proceed to destroy all of Shinra, and mankind...because he's like that, I guess."

"And how did you manage across this information?" Tseng asked flatly. "How was this 'influence' determined?"

"Well, what a silly question, Tseng," I replied with a scoff. "The body of Lucrecia, the actual mother of Sephiroth, was never found after all. Never thought of why? I could tell you where she is, but once again, sorry, my lips are sealed. And it's all scientific mumbo-jumbo I never got the hang of," I shrugged. "I'm good at getting in, getting out, and doing all of it without being found." I blinked. "That even rhymed!"

I smiled warmly, "I'm the friend you never even knew you had until today, and suddenly, I'm your best friend."

Tseng's lips curled slightly. "I'll need proof," he said in the end.

"My words aren't proof enough?" I replied.

"They're enough of a proof that I'm willing to consider you as a member of the Turks. They aren't enough of a proof that what you're saying about Sephiroth is true," Tseng pointed out. "I can't issue you a Turk membership, or Heidegger will question how you were hired. He only accepted Elena because she was pretty." Here Tseng's fists clenched tightly in seething disgust. "The man's going to be the ruin of us all."

"That said, I'm not just here to give you pretty skivvy information," I replied softly. "I need you to evacuate the area around Sector One's Reactor at my signal," I chuckled lightly. "Something big is going to happen there soon, and I'd rather not have civilian casualties if I can avoid them."

"That is something I cannot do," Tseng said. "Also, I'd rather you told me what is going to happen-"

"Tseng," I said flatly, "I have a mission to complete," I looked at him straight in the eyes, "And I will complete it, because I am a Turk, and to me...it's only business. I can complete it with or without your help, with or without civilian casualties, and with or without drenching the streets of Midgar in blood. I told you what I was told to reveal you. I won't tell you what I must not tell you." I sighed. "If it can console you, I know half of what the boss wants me to do half of the time, was he that tough with you too?"

Tseng took a deep breath, and then closed his eyes for a brief moment. "I'll trust Veld's judgment on this," he said in a whisper, before pulling out from his pocket his cellphone and sliding it over the table in my direction.

"I'll get a new number," Tseng said. "Send a message to the name 'Rude' in the contacts, he'll relate it to me."

I nodded. "Worry not," I gave him a quick military salute, "I'll do that." I then stretched as I stood up, "Oh, just so you know, next time I meet Reno I'm going to punch him in the face for ruining my jacket. The man could use a bit more of discipline," and with a wave of the hand, I stepped out of the door and whistled as I reached for the elevator. I did not allow my legs to tremble or give out from the relief at having made this work.

My expression remained wistfully happy as I descended to the nearly last floor, and then stepped outside through the emergency stairs by taking the last flight of stairs and emerging into the side alley of Shinra's headquarters.

With the high-clearance pass still in my pockets, I whistled and made my way back to the train station.

Well, this had been so honestly easy it made me kind of worried something was just about to go wrong.

It felt as if somebody called my name as I took the steps off the train platform and on the train itself, and thus I stopped and turned around for a brief moment, furrowing my brows. "Bah," I shrugged. "Must have been an hallucination."

I then took a seat and quietly pulled out from my inner pockets the Materia gauntlets, strapping them back on to my feet and legs as the train went by peacefully, thrumming along the way.

As I stood there in wait, a shadow crept over my face.

I looked up, and then my eyes widened in disbelief.

Jenova was in the train compartment.

Her deformed, fleshy bits twitched and moved in an obscene way that seemed akin to that of 'The Thing', mixed with the deformed limbs of only the worst that Silent Hill could offer. Her form exuded a sort of hypnotizing wave-like motion which, at the same time, made me inwardly recoil and scream at the top of my lungs inside the back of my head at just how horrifying such a creature could actually be.

Jenova was-

There was a flash of light, probably due to the swapping from real sunlight to the artificial light of below the plate, and the figure was gone. I bounced off my feet and emitted a small yelp, staring at the empty space as the other train passengers didn't give me more than a sparse glance before returning to their usual 'ignore everything around them' attitude. My heart, meanwhile, was beating in my chest.

I looked around, seemingly at a loss for words. I could chalk this up to an hallucination of sorts. The built stress of having lied to the face of Tseng, having risked it all on a gamble that could work only because I had information that nobody else would ever obtain -if not by knowing facts by having been there, or having been told by someone who was there- and yet, in all of this, I still had managed to come out on top.

But the hallucination...

Maybe it was just that. Maybe my 'Mako Resistance' had reached its limits in this way, and I was now hallucinating about Jenova of all things. That creepy alien had been the number one source of my nightmares since her appearance in the game proper after all, and she had been in Shinra's headquarters, just a few floors above Tseng's office.

Maybe it was the growing stress of having been torn away from home. Maybe it was the stress of belonging to a terrorist organization. Maybe it was the nervousness at risking my life if Barret or the others discovered I had talked with Tseng. Whatever the reason, I had hallucinated.

And that was it.

This couldn't be part of a bigger picture. It had just been an hallucination. A horrible, definitely disgusting to watch at first glance, hallucination.

Jenova was still trapped.

Until Sephiroth gave the trigger the night of Cloud's capture, Jenova would stay there in Hojo's lab, safely confined.

Yes. It would be that.

It had to be that.

Then, if that was the case, why were my teeth chattering and my legs trembling?

Holy shit. HOLY SHIT!!! You, you just fucking bluffed the Head Turk! I am stunned by the sheer audacity. That's your great idea?! But that severely relies on your presence(in general) and Aerith joining AVALANCHE early not changing shit up heavily. And it seems that Jenova has her eyes on you. Possibly Sephiroth too...

Back