Created at
Index progress
Complete
Watchers
Recent readers

Prologue

Imagine you are going about your everyday life as always. Imagine that 'everyday...
Last edited:
Prologue

shadenight123

Ten books I have published. More await!
Prologue

Imagine you are going about your everyday life as always. Imagine that 'everyday life' involves taking a train from station A to station B. Now imagine that after entering a tunnel, everything goes dark. When light returns, the train pulls the last stop and you disembark. Your mind, until then, is still firmly connected to the thought that everything is going according to the norm.

And then you find out that the station you are descending the stairs of isn't the one you are used to.

At first, you feel shock. You look around, seemingly lost. You think "Perhaps this is the wrong station." But a red-coated station officer elicits some form of mind-jogging, but not enough. Well, it simply makes everything more confusing, since you're pretty sure that your nation's station officers have different suits.

That was my line of thinking as I watched, impassable, the people going back and forth through the foreign station.

Time passed. I remained there, seemingly at a loss of words, for god knows how long. It was the chill of the incoming night that made me move.

The chill that followed the sinking gut feeling that the lines of rusty train cars across my visions belonged to a familiar landscape, which was now being presented in a foreign way to my eyes. My mouth tasted like ashes, my eyes kept looking around at the strangely clothed people who seemed to have come out of a strange and bizzarre techno-punk universe. Passing by a street-lamp, my steps soon began to trudge on soft, squishy dirt that had a disturbingly green glow.

It was then that my eyes finally lifted upwards, through the piles of garbage that surrounded me.

Strange, how it takes the obvious to point out something even more obvious.

"That's no sun," I mouthed, my eyes lifting way, way up.

There it was, in all of its glory, the support pillar that kept Sector Seven from falling down upon its slums. Really, if there's a place no one ever looks at, it's the ceiling. It was majestic, that much I could say myself. Near it, a tanned man was admiring its beauty. I didn't share his enthusiasm.

Being lost in a foreign place wasn't bad if you knew the tongue, or at least how to move around it. Being lost in a foreign land with different currency and different tongue could, instead, prove harrowing but still totally doable depending on one's luck in finding an embassy. Being lost in a game world with different currency and no embassy? That was going to suck, really, really hard.

"Hey! Look! It's huge ain't it?" the tanned man said as he turned to look at me. I inwardly exhaled in relief as I gave a nod back.

"That...it is," I acquiesced. I looked at the flimsy chain and tried to scratch my head trying to recall -were there any items on the way up? No. Definitely not.

There was also the question of the existence of said 'randomly scattered' items or not. There could not be, there could be, and to that I had no clue of the timetable, or of Avalanche's existence yet.

What I did know was that I needed a place to sleep, a job, and something to eat. While food could be held off until the next day, water was a concern. Now, the people of the slums survived by scrapping garbage by, or so it was strongly hinted at.

However, if I wanted to go 'scrap hunting' I'd need a weapon.

There were more than enough monsters hanging around the premises of the slums -Sector Six came to mind- that going anywhere without a weapon would be suicidal. I didn't have pretenses. I'd take anything, even a lead pipe, as long as it worked.

Thus, I began to scan through the piles of garbage around the pillar. I was not constrained by 'digital' means, but the sharp edges and the rust, coupled with the strong smell more than easily dissuaded me from going anywhere I couldn't be sure to avoid a grisly end.

In the end, I went with a rusty pipe that had a jagged end. My palms turned red from the flaking rust, but it could easily slide in my belt. Utterly uncaring about my actions, the man that was busy staring at the pillar barely spared me more than a glance, before returning to his business of 'admiring the fine architectural structure'.

So, I had a 'weapon'. It wasn't enough, but perhaps I wouldn't be meeting anyone to begin with.

Wall Market was definitely the place that had more 'life' to it, and while I could serve behind a bar, I doubted 'Seventh Heaven' would hire someone who had apparently come out of nowhere -especially with Avalanche having their headquarters in there, if at all.

Also, I was more of a coffee shop kind of guy, not a barman in the sense of cocktails.

However, most importantly, I needed a job that didn't involve Sector Seven when it came crashing down. So I needed to head out of Sector Seven and into Wall Market, and find a place to crash there -wait, wasn't the Inn only ten gils per night?

Very well.

Objective of the first day for my continued well-being: gather ten Gil, reach Wall-Market, survive.

Making my way through the slums with a rusty pipe held by my belt wasn't difficult when I hid most of it with my jacket zipped up. I was wearing a light blue one, which unfortunately made me stick out like a sore thumb. At the same time, the trick to avoiding a fight is to avoiding giving someone the opportunity to begin with. So I marched like a man who had business elsewhere in town and was in a hurry, and while I was pretty sure a few gang-members jeered and moved their heads to their comrades, I was already out of their sights by the time they decided to start moving.

Or if not, they'd come to face me once out of the most trafficked district. This meant the playground just outside the Sector, where no children were currently playing...my feet dragged across the sand, and then around the playground's toys. There had to be a 'Sense' materia somewhere, and if I could sell that, the Ten Gils problem would be solved in one fell swoop. I didn't find it.

Of course I didn't find it. It wasn't yet time for it.

I pressed my back against the plastic construction, and lifted my eyes up to stare at the platter that still remained up in the sky. How did the Wall Market even survive the crash of Sector Seven? Was it because it stuck closer to other sections? Was it a Sector Six prerogative? I didn't have a map of Midgar, and I had no intention of looking for it.

With the corner of my eye, I saw a few figures step forward from the exit of Sector Seven, gangsters with mohawk hairstyles and piercings on various body parts, not one of them looking like a decent and good citizen.

"You have a cig?" one asked, the rest calmly surrounding me. Usual tactic of surround and pounce.

"Sure," I answered as politely as I could, "just one second." I moved my right hand to my jacket's zipper and pulled it down, my other hand entering my pocket. It was a smooth motion. Now, don't try this at home. It really shouldn't be done at home.

Honestly, it shouldn't be done to begin with. If someone's pointing at knife at you in real life, just accept the fact you're going to get mugged and lose your stuff. If, on the other hand, you think you're hallucinating everything due to being in a game reality, then by all means, try what I am about to do.

Here are a few things to keep in mind.

First off, a lead pipe is not meant to be used as a mace, but as a thrusting maneuver.

Secondly, when surrounded, you must push to break free from the encirclement by any means possible, so drop down your body and push with your right shoulder in a tackle straight ahead, but rather than try to overpower the guy in question, try to slide across his side. The other guys will go for your jacket, trying to grip you, and that's when you'll have to use their pulling to grip and spin their center-person against the one by their sides.

This will give you the time to turn and try to slam anything pointy you have into the eyes of the one holding you back, and then jump back to put some distance as they will inevitably let go of your jacket.

Everyone will protect their eyes when something stabby reaches for them.

Everyone.

Yourself included.

Now, if you are not a runner, the best solution is to slowly make sure you don't get encircled again and try to head for a more civilized area. Criminals won't necessarily keep pursuing a runner, but they will try their hardest to grab something from you. Anyone who's mugging you is desperate, or foolish.

If it's the former, you're going to get stabbed. If it's the latter, you have a chance.

Tiny, but still a chance.

"Nobody wants to get hurt over a cigarette," I said dryly. "I guarantee you-I will aim for your eyes and this thing's rusty. Rusty as fuck."

A chain wrapped around the pipe coming from a gangster to my right, and the moment it did, I grabbed hold of the pipe with both hands and pulled, making the chain slip from the man's hands.

I narrowed my eyes, the chain's other extremity firmly gripped in my left hand as I pulled it away from the grasp of its 'rightful' owner.

"Look," I said softly, starting to turn the chain around my left hand's knuckles. "Nobody wants to get hurt, right? I understand I might look like easy prey. Overweight guy who's barely breathing right, but trust me, you don't want to go any further. I've beaten my fair share of morons back in the days-errors of youth," I took a few steps back as I kept talking, the swings now right between me.

The guy leading the pack, with red spiky hair and a few tattoos that seemed to be pin-ups of various Shinra-related products simply hollered a "Get him, boys!"

In that moment, a rod of metal slammed home in the face of one of the would-be gangsters, as a pony-tailed and green-eyed woman stepped right in the middle of the confrontation with a narrowed look.

That moment was all it took for me to decide that running would not be the better part of valor on this fine day.

The woman had style, I had to admit. She had style, and was pretty much capable of handling herself alone. I simply took potshots at the flanks of the guys, while she aimed at their stomachs -and the balls, seriously, hitting someone's balls so many times must be against the Geneva convention or something- but in the end, the group of 'thugs' was downed, and the woman turned to look at me with a concerned expression.

"Are you...all right?" she asked.

"Yes," I nodded as I proceeded to recover my breath, and pilfer the wallets of the thugs. "Now I am."

Two hundred and fifty gils in my hands later, I offered half to the woman. "Here, as thanks for saving me."

"I-I can't accept that," the woman said, moving to grab her flower basket that she had apparently left behind to 'charge in'. "I don't seek compensation."

"I see," I remarked. "Are the flowers for sale?"

"Oh? One flower, one gil," she said, showing the basket.

The pile of groaning, knocked unconscious goons wasn't something I could forget, so as I handed her over a one gil note, I gingerly accepted the flower offered to me and placed it in my jacket's breast-pocket.

"I'm heading over to the Wall Market," I said. "Are you heading that way too, miss?"

"No," the woman shook her head. "I live in Sector Five-" she looked at the unconscious thugs, "And I better get going."

"It's been nice to meet you," I smiled, waved, and then headed off towards Wall Market, leaving Aerith Gainsborough to make her way back home.

I knew fully well that the Turks were following her, and I had no intention of opening a can of worms without being adequately equipped with a beak to smash through them.

I needed to find my 'place' in this world before I as much tried to alter the history behind it. One thing was certain though.

If I didn't hear about Sector One's reactor about to explode, then perhaps I was still in time to save Zack Fair from a horrible death. And if I did, then I'd better move fast to find my 'spot in this world' because otherwise, I'd lose the window of opportunity and remain stranded and unable to change things.

At the very least, saving Aerith from an untimely and horrible death might improve things. I couldn't do the same for Sephiroth, since he was already mad by now, but maybe I could distract him from delivering his killing blow.

That was way in the future, but I could recruit some 'helpers'.

I just needed...

Well, everything. First step: acquire work. Second step: earn gils. Third step: buy equipment. Fourth step: head for the Chocobo Farm. Fifth step: wait for Cloud and Gang to look for Chocobo lure, and join them there.

It was a solid plan, wasn't it?

Thus, nothing could go wrong. Nope. Nothing at all.

I am conflicted. On the one hand, FF7. On the other hand, distraction from your other tales.

Actually, no. I'm not conflicted. I can't wait to see where you take this. :D

Let's see how bad can go to worse in this world.

Holy sh-

You know this must be the only cross you have made so far where you absolutely must not die not only for your own good but for the sake of the world a well?

Take my like, and my follow, and throw it into your fusion reactor that you call a muse.

Then give me more.

Reading the thread tags I half expected to see [blatant lies] in invisitext.

I'll be honest here: this is pretty shit. I say that as a fan of your writing and a regular reader of SI stuff- and a sometime writer of it.

As a cross it has potential, but it's just way too fast. They're big mistake I see is one of familiarity. You're narrating, sure but part of the SI conceit is that while you might know what things look like, your readers may not. If sector seven is unmistakable then it should be iconic enough to describe for at least a paragraph or too.

Similarly, the narrative would benefit from more detail on the basic information you're basing your assumptions off of.

By that I mean, like, talk a bit about what you know. Describe the politics of life here- you're in an area where people can and do murder other people regularly. There monsters are abundant and there isn't a civil protections service like you're familiar with.

I understand that this is a no-crossover single setting SI, but even for people who know everything about the setting, it feels better to read your impressions and interactions with it, than to just skip over all that and be all 'I grabbed a pipe and now I'm off to save canon from itself!'.

The fight sequence is pretty awkward too- because you're talking directly to the audience- which is fine, certainly- but you don't... go anywhere with it. You narrate and then before you can do anything, Aerith dynamic entries and beats the shit out of everyone, and then you buy a flower and she heads off.

You actually spend a bit of time describing her, but it's super stale, like you're reading her character bio and not reacting in realtime.

When she shows up, the first thing you notice shouldn't be that she's a brunette with green eyes, or the color of her eyes at all- you should focus on the description of HOW she's kicking the shit out of them, of their initial and short term reactions, of her- perhaps- making a threat against them before the hooligans run, and then turning back to you. Maybe put in a bit about how the chunky 3D graphics of the game and even the character art doesn't really capture what she actually looks like. Don't notice who she is or what she looks like. Notice how she's fighting, the damage she's doing. If you need an initial description, say she has brown hair- an unidentified woman with brown hair- and then she turns to help you up or whatever, and THEN you see she has green eyes, and you recognize her hairstyle or whatever, and make the connection.

Spend time in each paragraph in which you interact with her detailing- at least a little bit, the nervousness and uncertainty of your interaction, because you're still basically in shock from the standard SI drop-off. So you sort of dazedly buy a flower and watch her go, and then think about how you don't have a place to stay yet.

If you're super worried about the impending collapse of Sector Seven, or what the timeline is, then say so in your narrative, and then go find a cafe or a newspaper or a netcafe and read about current events. Shinra's reporting on AVALANCHE attacks would be pretty likely, and you'd be able to use that to determine where in the timeline you are.

But don't just be like "So this happened offscreen and now I'm off to save canon from itself"- go through the motions. There's no story without going through the mundane motions, and time skipping the bits where nothing happens.

Last edited:
Being lost in a foreign land with different currency and different tongue could, instead, prove harrowing but still totally doable depending on one's luck in finding an embassy. Being lost in a game world with different currency and no embassy? That was going to suck, really, really hard.
What, no different language just to make it harder? The game came out in Japan first, shade, and there's no game lore saying they speak a tongue with no Earth-equivalent :p
Although actually, if they spoke Shell like in Ar Tonelico or something, that'd make it harder.
Fourth step: head for the Chocobo Farm. Fifth step: wait for Cloud and Gang to look for Chocobo lure, and join them there.
This has the false assumption the chocobo aspect shall happen as a canon thing. Wasn't that a sidequest?
At this point, it feels like you write more than literally every other author on Sufficient Velocity combined.
He's prolific, has a fast update rate, and has actually finished a number of stories. It's unsurprising he's popular, especially as the tales are both long and entertainingly well written both plot and grammar-wise.

He's prolific, has a fast update rate, and has actually finished a number of stories. It's unsurprising he's popular, especially as the tales are both long and entertainingly well written both plot and grammar-wise.

All true, except he does this thing where he rights out laughing as "Ah ah ah". Drives me mad. The only poeple I've ever heard laugh like this were Jimmy Carr and the Count from Sesame Street! Laughing happens during the exhale, in my experience, that's why the h is at the beginning. "Ha" as in a short burst of air from the lungs.

Not that it's come up in this piece, I've just never had an appropriate venue to mention this.

Also, Kerrus makes some really strong points, mister coffee-lover, you should take a look and see what you can do to polish things up. Looking at it again, it seems like this is actually fairly bare-bones.

All true, except he does this thing where he rights out laughing as "Ah ah ah". Drives me mad. The only poeple I've ever heard laugh like this were Jimmy Carr and the Count from Sesame Street! Laughing happens during the exhale, in my experience, that's why the h is at the beginning. "Ha" as in a short burst of air from the lungs.
It differs per person, in my experience. My own tends to be a kind of wheezing, for example.

Chapter One
Chapter One

Finding work in Wall Market did not prove to be a harrowing experience, contrary to my expectations. It wasn't just because Wall Market was a place where the dregs of society went to buy stuff, close to the nearby Sectors which were, point of fact, the 'ghettos' of Midgar's plate sections. However, when work doesn't exist, one can create it if they've got enough fantasy...provided there's a base to start from.

The stale air smelled like crude car oil, and the multicolored crowd made it heat to a point where it was barely breathable. This was what it felt like to live in a cramped, tightly packed and horrible place. On the plus side, I was no different than the common country boy having come to Midgar to find riches and work. There were dozens like me, but of those dozens, only I had a vague inkling on where to start job-hunting.

In the back of the Materia shop, I made my acquaintance with my first materia. The crystallized Mako, the knowledge of the Ancient condensed into energy form to cast magic, snugly fit in the hole on the back of my right hand, a leather glove of sorts holding the marble-sized gem in place with straps made of small steel clips.

The Fire Materia glinted with its unearthly beautiful green glow.

"Here's how it works," the Store Owner said. "I've got a batch of materia, and I need it to grow a bit before I can sell it. You start working on it, and when you see it's grown enough to be dangerous, you put it over there in that crate," he pointed to the other side of the room. "Right now, that thing's worth is practically null. It won't even make a spark. When you get something that can burn someone's flesh off, then you're done."

I nodded, and as I stared at the gem for a bit more, a sudden sharp scream made me jolt and made the materia spark. "There you go," the owner said, coughing lightly. "Get used to that feeling. That 'jolt' is what you need to do to get the materia to work. It's a tiny heart attack every time, so it gets tiresome after a bit, but you look capable of going the long run," he chuckled. "I'll be in the front. Needless to say, don't try to run off or I'll burn you to ashes and dust you beneath the carpet."

"I understand," I replied, catching my breath as my heart hammered a bit more. Tiny sparks flew off from the back of the fire materia, like one of those pretty summer fireworks you hold in your right hand, and watch as they burn. Only, in this case, it was a Fire Materia.

Reality was different. Materia required a 'brain wave' shock, which could be brought forth easily in battle, but not that easily in a 'controlled' environment. On the other hand, using Materia repeatedly could pretty much guarantee it would eventually grow. This was what I told the Materia Shop Owner, and what convinced him to 'hire me' in order to make it 'mature'. A fully matured Materia could sell for forty-two thousand of Gils, which meant it had a value of eighty-four thousands.

The sparks singed my right hand.

Repeatedly.

I ground my teeth and clenched my fist, thrusting the punch forward as the sparks sailed forth. This was just like doing the karate's katas all over again. Right punch, left punch, step forward, right punch, left punch, step backwards, guard left, guard right, and resume stance. Restart movements until you grow bored.

Only, I couldn't grow bored. The 'mental jolt' I practiced the materia's casting with came whenever I felt some form of emotion -embarrassment in particular. I was using the thought of the materia owner catching me doing silly stuff, and as I repeatedly thought that, and even sillier thoughts, the sparks kept flying, slowly but surely increasing in heat and potency.

It still wasn't enough for a proper Fire Materia, but my eyes felt tired as if I had spent an all-nighter in front of a pc screen, and my body was sore from the repeated motions. It hadn't helped that I had yet to solve my sleeping arrangements.

This was the kind of job that nobody could do for long, because it grated on someone's nerves, required incessant repetitions, and tired someone out hard. I was basically draining my non-existing Mana Pool and then waiting the next day to have it refilled in order to start again.

"It's adequate progress," the owner of the Materia shop grumbled once he closed up shop for the day. "Maybe in a few weeks I'll have a crate of the stuff worth selling," he handed me a palsy fifty gils for an afternoon of work, recovered the Fire Materia, and sent me on my way. Apparently, the average time for a 'Materia' to mature into a 'battle-worthy' Materia was of a couple of days of non-stop training with it. Admittedly, if the guy had a crate of the stuff, he wouldn't be able to do it all by himself.

Since the normal value was of six hundred Gils per 'First Level' Materia, he'd pay me at most two hundred Gils per two days of non-stop work, ensuring him an earning of four hundred Gils.

Tonight's dinner would be hot ramen bought at one of Don Corneo's stalls just outside his mansion, and served with lemonade that had probably seen better days, but was the safest bet since it came in a can rather than in a cup or an open bottle. The owner of the stall didn't remark on the 'audacious' choice, and as the dinner warmed my gullet, I headed back to the inn to sleep.

I probably didn't have a few weeks. The news hadn't spoken of a reactor's explosion, but Aerith had been wearing pink, which meant the events were further ahead than Crisis Core. Also, Avalanche was being reported as a terrorist group, and the 'Diamond Tiara' I had found coupled with the lack of Materia in the Materia Shop seemed to indicate that Cloud would be passing by the Wall Market soon enough -at the very least, sooner than a few weeks.

The next day, I began my morning by working at the Materia Store. A full eight hours of work there earned me one hundred gils, and the experience I was making working with Materia wasn't bad at all. I did feel like crap for the following hours, as if somebody had beaten my brain with a mallet, but I was used to headaches, and as long as I went to sleep, I'd wake up the next morning completely refreshed.

Unfortunately, when you are not the one looking for trouble, usually it's trouble that comes looking for you.

I had avoided the Turks. I had avoided the gangsters. I had avoided a lot of troubles.

Yet, apparently, I could not avoid Aerith.

It was as I stepped out of the Materia shop later in the evening, my head feeling like crap and my eyes sore, that Aerith's form on the opposite side of it caught my sight. She was selling flowers to the crowd passing by, and more than a few did try to harass her only to receive a 'shake off' in the form of a hand gripping their wrists with enough strength to perhaps shatter it.

Seriously, why could this strong Aerith not belong to the gameplay too? I'm speaking with you, you back-row healer type from the game.

"Hello," I said. "I'll have one flower," I added as I offered one gil up for the exchange.

Aerith graciously did just that, "Thank you," she said as she handed me the flower. She beamed me a sunny smile that would have probably made Zack Fair happier than ever, "Could I bother you for a second?"

"You can bother me for as many hours as you wish," I yawned, "As long as it involves me having time to eat, anything's fine."

"Would you be willing to return the money you stole?" Aerith asked.

"Sure," I replied, catching her slightly off-guard before she beamed a motherly smile.

"That's a relief," she said with a sigh of relief, a hand to her chest holding her basket in the crook of her arm. "I was sure we could find a compromise. If you'll follow me, I'll bring you to where we're supposed to meet."

I shrugged and began to follow her. "It turns out it was all a big misunderstanding," Aerith continued as we walked. "They really wanted just a cigarette from you," she said. "But considering how they went about it, I can understand why it looked like they were mugging you -I even intervened in that scuffle- but, well, I'm glad nobody got hurt too badly."

I raised an eyebrow. "So, where are we meeting exactly?" I asked, "The playground?"

Aerith shook her head as we passed by a crowd of leering drunken men. She didn't seem to be bothered by the booty call or the whistles sent her way -after all, she was a slum girl, and was used to it. "There's this bar, 'Seventh Heaven'. I'm sure there is nothing to worry about," she added offhandedly. "They really didn't feel like bad people."

I really doubted that. I doubted that so hard, that if my doubt could be a limit break, it would be a limit break of tenth level in a world where only the 'fourth' level stood.

"They came to bother you while you were working?" I asked.

"One of them," Aerith said, "But he didn't bother me much. He politely explained his group's reasons, and he cleared the misunderstanding up. I was sure you'd want to make amend too, so since I knew you were somewhere around Wall Market, I began to ask around. It wasn't that hard to find you after that."

"Well, I am wearing a bright blue jacket," I said with a shrug.

"I know," Aerith said. "It's a nice vibrant color." She furrowed her brows a bit. "What's that white sail for?"

"Oh, this used to be the jacket I wore while rowing back home," I said. "Hometown near the sea, if you don't have sails on your clothes you ain't doing it right."

"Costa del Sol?" Aerith's eyes lit up. "Are you from there?"

"No, nothing so grand," I shook my head. "Just a tiny village better left unmentioned and unspoken of," I added with a small smile. The playground was now coming closer. Why did I smell the stink of an ambush?

Because ambushes were all the craze around these parts.

As it turned out, the playgrounds had not been chosen as the site of an ambush. Then, perhaps the Sector Seven Slums? Would they come out from the alleyways the moment they caught wind of me?

Yet, the more I began to grow increasingly agitated, the less I found traces of the telltale signs of an ambush.

"You shouldn't worry too much. They're not following you," Aerith said suddenly, catching my interest once more. "Creepy guys with sunglasses even in the middle of the night and wearing matching suits and ties? They're Turks. They think I have what it takes to enter SOLDIER," she giggled.

"Well, I wouldn't put it past you considering how well you sent those poor guys flying," I said, my eyes now straining themselves. I couldn't see the 'Turks' she was speaking of. Perhaps they really were masters of hiding. Whatever the reason, I wasn't seeing them.

"Hey, I'm still a girl," Aerith said with a warm smile. I shook my head slowly with a smile of my own on my lips.

The Seventh Heaven was packed with people drinking, smoking, and yelling obnoxious things. Tifa was behind the counter, her 'forms' as generous as they had been depicted. However, my incredible willpower allowed me to divert my gaze to the closest threat in the area, namely 'Boss-Gangster and his band of merry gangsters' who were nursing a few drinks in a corner, looking kind of sullen.

Behind the counter, keeping an eye at the cash register, was a young girl as cute as a button that probably went by the name of 'Marlene'. She was keeping an eye on the money, and while Tifa took charge of everything, she ensured nobody got the silly idea of stealing from her 'school funds'.

When we neared the group of unlucky gangsters, I realized two things. The first was that they were nursing water in their drinks, and the second was that they had a single tray of peanuts which they had religiously divided among themselves.

I wanted to laugh.

I didn't because this was the 'Pirandellian Irony' at its finest, and if there's one thing one should never laugh at, it's another person's misery.

"Boss," one of the guys said as he realized I was nearing, alerting their 'gang leader' of my impending arrival.

"Ah-" the Boss exclaimed, turning to face me.

"Here," I said quite calmly, dropping three hundred gils on the table, "Misunderstanding cleared, and there's the interest for the loan. We square?"

That made them all perk up, and once they divided the money among themselves, their boss nodded. "We're square. Sorry about that scare man-how about drinks on me?"

I shook my head politely, "I'm sorry. I'd love to, but I've got to work tomorrow morning-"

"Work's for suckers," one of the youngsters -green hair- snickered.

"Alas, it's what one does for a living," I shrugged. "Well, it was nice to meet you, but-"

The first thing I saw as I turned to leave was a large, tough-looking, military-like built man with a minigun of sorts in the place of his right hand. The moment he stepped inside, everyone quieted down. He walked forward on a straight path towards the counter, but stopped just short of me and snorted. "Nice jacket," he said. My light blue jacket was also light-refracting, had I mentioned this before? No? Then perhaps I should have. Also, I should mention that when I am tired after a long day, my mouth filter somehow turns off ever so slightly. That, and the fumes of the bar were really getting to my nose.

"Nice gun," I replied as smoothly as my skipping heartbeat allowed it. What came out was probably 'N-N-Nice G-G-Gun' considering he towered over pretty much everyone else.

He dropped his head down to stare me right in the eyes. "You think you're being funny?" he bared his teeth in a smile that reeked of predator.

"H-Hilarious' my second name," I stammered out.

"You look like you're a new guy," Barret said, "So this time, I'll tell ya to si'down and shu'up. Next time, I'll kick your fucking skinny ass outside in the dirt."

So there I was, sitting down next to the 'gangsters' with Aerith having most aptly taken the seat right next to me.

"Daddy!" Marlene said a few seconds later, jumping into Barret's arms as the man spun her around.

"My girl!" he laughed, pulling her up on her shoulder and walking towards a corner of the bar that was hastily freed by those who were there to begin with. "You should have gone to b-"

And that was as far as I heard before a hand clapped on my shoulder and I turned to face 'Gang-Boss'.

"That's the bar's guardian, Barret-when he yanks you, let him fucking yank you or you're going to get filled with holes," Boss-Guy said, before gesturing towards Tifa. "For my pretty-jacket friend and his staff-friend, two pints of your strong stuff, Tifa! It's on me!"

I honestly needed something strong to stop my legs from shaking.

Still, this couldn't turn out any worse than it already was-

My line of thought was interrupted when the Turks Aerith mentioned beforehand stepped inside the bar flanked by a few rows of Shinra soldiers.

Okay, I... What?

I'm confused. I remember that scene, and the SI definitely showed enough signs that he felt threatened, even before the actual fight. Misunderstanding? What?

What just happened?

Still, this couldn't turn out any worse than it already was-

My line of thought was interrupted when the Turks Aerith mentioned beforehand stepped inside the bar flanked by a few rows of Shinra soldiers.

You deserved that.

Okay, I... What?

I'm confused. I remember that scene, and the SI definitely showed enough signs that he felt threatened, even before the actual fight. Misunderstanding? What?

What just happened?

It could have been the power of Aerith to bring out the good in others that are making them be nice? Or something?

Last edited:
They wanted their money back, and claiming it was a misunderstanding was the best idea they could come up with.

When they actually are receiving their money back, they have a good reason to be nice to the person returning their money.

If it really was a misunderstanding they probably would have reported it to the authorities.

When they actually are receiving their money back, they have a good reason to be nice to the person returning their money.
Plus, the mediator was a girl who kicked their ass and not to mention they are in Seventh Heaven. Decency and pragmatism both would agree that it better making nice with people who gave you money and can kick you ass than otherwise (even, or rather especially, if they had took your money and kicked your ass before. :p )

If it really was a misunderstanding they probably would have reported it to the authorities.
Relying on authority probably would not be a option of any worth though.

Last edited:
Back