Honkai: Star Rail Discussion Thread

Pronouns
He/Him

View: https://youtu.be/w8vPZrMFiZ4

With Honkai Star Rail released around a week ago I was rather surprised to see that SV doesn't have a thread on it. An error I knew that I had to rectify post-haste :D

For those unaware Honkai Star Rail is a turn-based tactics game by Mihoyo where you play as an amnesiac quasi-mute who wakes up on a space station under attack by monsters and quickly join a team of interstellar explorers called "Trailblazers" who travel across the galaxy exploring worlds. Similar to the prior Honkai games Star Rail is Science Fantasy through and through, you'll have what is essentially elemental magic and deities seamlessly integrated alongside advanced technology. Though quite a few of the characters are directly copied over from Mihoyo's Honkai Impact 3rd the plot is self-contained and you do not need to play HI3 to understand what's happening. Star Rail is a spiritual successor in all the ways that matter.

It is a Gacha game so if you have moral objections to the concept or have a history of gambling/impulsive spending you might want to skip this one. For everyone else it's scored very well amongst reviewers and I can personally attest to its quality. The turn based gameplay isn't the deepest in the world but there's something to accessibility and it's quite enjoyable to play. As expected of Mihoyo Star Rail also has a great soundtrack and aesthetically just oozes style. The writing so far is highly compelling and the MC in particular has just a wonderful potential to be a complete lunatic, I've noticed a distinct shade of Disco Elysium to a significant portion of the goofier aspects of the writing.

At the grand cost of zero dollars and zero cents (or your regional equivalent) I'd say that Star Rail is well worth your time. It can be downloaded from the official site, Google Play, or Epic Games.

The writing so far is highly compelling and the MC in particular has just a wonderful potential to be a complete lunatic, I've noticed a distinct shade of Disco Elysium to a significant portion of the goofier aspects of the writing.

Yeah star rail has one of the best english localizations Ive seen, 10/10 writing so far.

I decided to try out Honkai Star Rail recently, and I'm enjoying it well enough, though to be honest, coming from playing Final Fantasy XIV, the quality of the voice acting (English) and dialogue writing just...really don't seem that good by comparison. I don't think I'd call it bad, it's serviceable, but it just seems lukewarm to my perspective.

The story so far also seems kinda vague, and not in the mysterious Elden Ring way. This seems like the kind of setting where we could get a good chunk of detail on what's going on just by talking to folks, and yet it feels like the details are being drip-fed to us.

At least the visuals are decent. I especially like the environmental visuals, though I feel that the many of the character styles are generic in a way that's hard to put a finger on. Like, they seem...overdesigned in someway, like their style is too busy in a really anime way. It's hard to explain.

EDIT: Oh, one other plus, the music is pretty awesome. I especially like the opening intro menu theme.

Last edited:
Personally I'm quite happy with the English dub, it's not perfect but in terms of performances I think the cast ranges from great to good. Though I'm certainly biased given that I also really liked the Genshin English dub and I know that's also fairly divisive.

For the writing I'm quite happy with what we have, the main plots haven't been anything too out there but I'm a firm believer in execution over originality. Belobog may be discount Snowpiercer/Frostpunk but that doesn't stop it from keeping me hooked. And I'll always die on the goofiness hill, I adore how chaotic Mihoyo allows the MC to be.

Personally I'm quite happy with the English dub, it's not perfect but in terms of performances I think the cast ranges from great to good. Though I'm certainly biased given that I also really liked the Genshin English dub and I know that's also fairly divisive.

For the writing I'm quite happy with what we have, the main plots haven't been anything too out there but I'm a firm believer in execution over originality. Belobog may be discount Snowpiercer/Frostpunk but that doesn't stop it from keeping me hooked. And I'll always die on the goofiness hill, I adore how chaotic Mihoyo allows the MC to be.
Admittedly, I DO enjoy how the game apparently allows the MC to be a goofy trash goblin. It's both very amusing and mildly concerning. Are the developers okay?

Admittedly, I DO enjoy how the game apparently allows the MC to be a goofy trash goblin. It's both very amusing and mildly concerning. Are the developers okay?
My working theory is that someone high up in Mihoyo played Disco Elysium and it really stuck with them.

Which if so is unironically a great inspiration for writing :D

I wouldn't be surprised if they played Disco Elysium given that Belobog is literally just Frostpunk.

Game feels good, runs pretty well on Linux too. Gameplay kinda reminds me of Trails with the ult interrupts, though I wish there are more skills than just normal special and ultimate actions to choose from.

I wouldn't be surprised if they played Disco Elysium given that Belobog is literally just Frostpunk.
I'd argue it's also literally just Snowpiercer. Though given that Frostpunk is itself literally just Snowpiercer but as a game we're clearly at nested levels of inspiration :p

But yeah, Mihoyo is quite willing to reference or take inspiration from other games. Genshin Impact for example has a veritable ocean of them.

Not gotten that far - I haven't even left Herta Station and boarded the damn train yet, because I'm poking everything I can find - so understand these are very initial impressions.
  • As someone who played Honkai Impact 3rd, I actually greatly prefer this turn-based approach. That game's combat got really button-mashy (ER with the only maxed character I had - Pardo - was basically 'spam her combo for twenty minutes, enjoy your arthritis', there's a reason I basically gave up on everything that wasn't story content until even that fell off the wagon) so I much appreciate the slower approach. Real-time interrupts for ults still gives it some spice.
  • On a related note I have never touched Genshin so I have no idea how it compares there
  • It's fascinating how many red flags Kafka manages to raise just from her default, placid facial expression alone
  • I'm liking the setting so far. It feels sci-fi but still with a touch of... I'm not sure how to put this, grounded yet whimsical absurdity? Herta (the character) in general is such a ridiculous yet believable person.
  • Speaking of Herta, since I'm still in the starting 'fuck around and find out' tutorial zone I chucked her into the team without actually checking what her skills were so constantly having unexpected Herta Hammertime interrupts was very amusing. Wasn't expecting that.
  • Hello Himeko. Pity you left the party before I could find bits of your HI3 version's broken sword in one of the curios chambers
  • Main character has not yet had chance to be the memetic trash goblin I've heard they can be, but she has managed to pass out from drinking random suspect coffee and gone on a crusade to save power by shutting down random robots around the station (haven't got them all yet, don't know what the payoff is yet, please don't spoil). This game tempts you with so many opportunities to be a complete idiot and I love it.
  • March's defence skill is an interesting alternative to having a healer. I was a little worried she would underwhelm as a support character (compare: Asta) but no she's unexpectedly useful and great for stalling. Which was great because I spent a while there having misunderstood part of the level-up UI running around picking fights with a party of level 5-at-mosts. Oops.
  • I thought Serval had a railgun initially. Imagine my surprise when she strummed the thing like a guitar.
  • One day, eventually, I will finally get around to visiting the damn train.

Last edited:
What, you don't like dead fish eyes? :p

I didn't entirely get what people liked about Makima before Star Rail but now I definitely understand where they're coming from.

What's fascinating is like-

When you look at the actual texture-work involved Kafka's eyes are hilariously simple? In terms of basic shapes, colours and all that.

Yet it works. You immediately know she's trouble somehow.

"They're not 'Red Flags', they're 'Fun facts about me'"
Kafka, 2023

Also, finished frostpunkland and onto the area after, and I do love the part where unlike genshin, all the mat farming nodes are 24/7, rather than the "mon thur sun etc" of genshins talent nodes. Its such a difference in qol

• Finished Herta Station
  • (so is that teleporting toilet stalking that guy or-)
  • (Herta why do you even have that-)
  • Yikes at Asta's family
  • Standing here (outside the Express), I realise... Himeko, when did you become short? The player character is taller than you, and you're in heels!
  • Descended to Belabog. Scared a guy into paying me his parking ticket. Embraced trash can. Currently stealing undelivered mail and contemplating raiding the fountain. Getting the real Disco Elysium vibes now lol.
  • There's so many comments to be found on everything from benches to the phone boxes to the Trailblazer mentally inventing an entire life story for this one poor guard stuck standing in front of a barricade, I love it
  • When the heck did the Trailblazer watch Superman did the Express have a movie night along the way-
  • Bloody hell, Belabog really is Frostpunk Town isn't it-
  • Related, it's also massive. This game runs on phones? What are they making phones out of these days?!
  • RUN EVERYWHERE, POKE EVERYTHING
  • Belabog guards and miscreants: "yes this world is locked in snow too cold to survive"
  • Also Belabog guards and miscreants: "LOOK HOW MUCH EXPOSED SKIN WE HAVE-"
  • Pela and Sampo showed up early via gacha, so nice to have some context on who they actually are. One of the structural flaws of a character gacha, I suppose.
  • It's depressingly hilarious how, despite looking like a Genshin cosplayer that got one arm stuck in the popsicle machine, Cocolia's outfit still makes more sense than her Impact incarnation.
  • Lmao, immediately after leaving Cocolia's office, straight into the traitor shots. You could have made it ambiguous to make any Impact players second-guess themselves but nah. You're just doomed to be a starter villain aren't you?

Last edited:
  • Standing here (outside the Express), I realise... Himeko, when did you become short? The player character is taller than you, and you're in heels!
To be fair the MC is genuinely quite tall.

Which is a great change of pace from Genshin's MC. Lumine is cute but it's nice to have a protagonist who actually has some height.

Last edited:
can't wait to unlock five star relics so i can finally munch purple relics into relic xp

When the heck did the Trailblazer watch Superman did the Express have a movie night along the way-

As a matter of fact it's mentioned that Welt uses his powers to play shows for the Express crew. However, he is only specifically noted as having played old Arahato episodes (the ninja mecha franchise that pops up in HI3, the one that inspired Siegfried as a kid and all that).

As a matter of fact it's mentioned that Welt uses his powers to play shows for the Express crew. However, he is only specifically noted as having played old Arahato episodes (the ninja mecha franchise that pops up in HI3, the one that inspired Siegfried as a kid and all that).
And notably the show that Welt created, so honestly... who knows if it's even actually old episodes, he might actually be making new ones on the fly.

• THE MOST BEAUTIFUL TRASHCAN IN THE UNIVERSE
  • Caressed the most beautiful trashcan in the universe
  • Those trashcan buff items are going to sit in my account for all eternity, I know it
  • Oh that's who Serval is.
  • Entombed self in the most beautiful closet in the universe
  • Came out of the closet to jump the guy bringing room service... got a proof of good deed for this??
  • (not gonna lie, I was half expecting 'go to sleep in the closet' being an alternative to sleeping in the bed. Admit it, you could completely see that happening)
  • Bronya escape sequence!
  • S-So er, funny discovery about the 'escape into the alley' scene. I tried turning back to return to the city overworld expecting some sort of snarky comment or dialogue but it just... l-lets you? You can walk back into the city and do little circles in front of the guards. I guess it's probably some sort of 'don't lock the players out of timed content' thing...? (f.ex the shops restocking on healing items). But honestly, it just feels kind of messy. Once again the 'dripfeed daily login gacha' format applies itself to game mechanics like a sledgehammer to the knee.
  • Gotta be honest, these character designs... they aren't making much sense to me. Like, you have Natasha, this underground doctor in this sealed off mining town beneath the last unfrozen city in the world and she's wearing this bizarrely fancy multilayered dress thing that looks like hell to clean and requires an operator's manual to take on and off. IDGI. None of the Belabog fashion designs scream 'winter survival gear' to me. The closest are the guards but even then... that metal faceplate makes me wince. Like it works for Bronya / Cocolia since they're basically royalty but the underworld...?
  • Anyway, just left the clinic, stopping for the day

Last edited:
I just finished the Spirit Traces quest and I'm really loving how manipulative Asta is turning out to be. She was already very cute and her English VA's casting was a funny reference to Mona but this really elevates her character.

Herta definitely made the right choice when selecting her.

Last edited:
Gotta be honest, these character designs... they aren't making much sense to me. Like, you have Natasha, this underground doctor in this sealed off mining town beneath the last unfrozen city in the world and she's wearing this bizarrely fancy multilayered dress thing that looks like hell to clean and requires an operator's manual to take on and off. IDGI. None of the Belabog fashion designs scream 'winter survival gear' to me. The closest are the guards but even then... that metal faceplate makes me wince. Like it works for Bronya / Cocolia since they're basically royalty but the underworld...?

For Natasha in particular, her character story missions will elaborate on her past but the quick version is she was raised with family above ground who are fairly well-to-do, and those support links were only cut off when the Underground was. So she has somewhat better equipment left over from having had more dosh to call on in a pinch.

For the citizenry in general, remember that only the guards are supposed to be allowed outside the city limits. As in, if a patrol of guards finds you outside the safe zone without explicit permission you can get in proper trouble, and dragged back into the city. Everyone else stays in the area secured by the guards that's littered with heaters, so they don't need to be going around in winter gear.

Last edited:
I've been enjoying the game a bunch. I'm near the cutoff point for would 2 now, and am stymied by a tree boss; can't hurt it before it summons more minions and heals up anything I inflicted. Nor could it hurt me, admittedly, so we kinda stalemated til I fled the battle.

That was last weekend, so I've just been improving my combat squad since then. Should go much better when I'm actually kitted out for my level, I'd imagine.

Turns out I'd derped slightly and misunderstood the requirements for character ascension. I'd been under the mistaken impression you were locked at level 20 max until you passed Trailblazer Level 20 which er. Oops.

Suffice to say, quite a bit of content is a lot easier now lol.

Still needed to raise TB level anyway because it was gating story content, so having run around a bunch of places I have to say I love how much... 'non quest' stuff there is to randomly find. Stuff that isn't telegraphed on the map and you just find by accident, I mean. Like an out of the way talking plant I came across on Herta. Honestly most of these have been on Herta but I haven't cleared Belabog yet so I presume that's why.

Also looks like there's a few side-quests with multiple endings! Really curious what some of the alternate endings were but the very format of the game makes that difficult to find out... not quite known for their replayability, gacha titles.

Last edited:
Does anyone else dislike Clara's companion quest?

So far it's been pretty tiresome. Part 1 was fine albeit not particularly compelling but I mostly just wished for Part 2 to end. The mystery of the malfunctioning robot just wasn't interesting and Pascal's dialogue was pretty irritating. Each line took way too long and something about the "take a normal sentence and mess it up" style of dialogue just wasn't appealing. And worse when Pascal started talking 'normally' near the end of the quest he was still annoying lol.

It's not horrible but it's the first quest (companion or otherwise) that's making me wish I could just skip dialogue. It's not the worst thing, that it took me this long to feel this way is a major credit to HSR, but I can't say I'm a fan. Which is a shame considering how precious Clara is.

Feels like I'm closing in to the end of Belabog story quest (cleared underground, about to head to surface); is there any side content I should be trying to clear immediately? I've heard it's recommended to get that stuff done as it comes in.

In other news, I lucksacked hard: Bronya from the starter banner, then lucked out even further and got Seele. They're reunited! 🎉

That will probably be all of my gacha luck for the entire game :V

T-Though wow, the game really tries to speedrun their relationship huh. Knowing their HI3rd context I don't quite mind, but... the progression does still feel a little off? Like, Seele goes from combative 'haha welcome to the real world princess' to 'i vow to protect you with my life' almost absurdly fast. The orphanage reveal was the stumbling block I think... I get it's another HI3rd reference but Seele pivoting so hard on that makes her come across as kind of shallow? Like there's not even an implication that they knew each other in the orphanage or were childhood friends or anything so it comes across as her basing character judgements entirely on whether people are born topside or not. If the story took things a little bit slower it would have felt more natural, I think.

Game's also sending weird mixed messages on whether you're supposed to fight Svarog's robots or not. Like, the mission where you follow Clara to try and convince her, and she's doing something with a power whatsit behind a pair of linked robot guards. The area is just wide enough that you can actually scoot around the guards without aggroing them (as I figured fighting them would y'know, not impress Clara), and I thought the game was letting you do that on purpose... only then you unlock the red calyx tree thing, the tutorial for which drops you in front of said robots, who are still there. While you're locked in a tutorial and can't escape. I got ambushed :T

Also tick another one off for the game references chart in Rust Town with that voice in the window. Anyone know what to do with the broken music box?

The moments where the Trailblazer just goes off on one on their own continue to be the funniest moments. Like their very serious hotel evaluations, or cold-calling the Rightful Rights society because they've never used a phone booth before.

Last edited:
Back