Homebrew space opera RP IC

omnimercurial said:
"Does the Computer show a wireframe of it's body etc?" I ask

"that should tell us about Weapons and Engine placement etc." I point out.
According to the damage model, the engines, obviously, are in the back.
As for weapons, there is certainly no weapons officer console around here.
KadeS said:
"When we leave, we'll need to cover it up with some sand to prevent damage.. and pick it up with the ship once we find the dammed thing." I poke around the screens to see what systems were carried and what other information the craft has in its databanks.
Obviously no one even thought of arming this thing, as there are no weapon controls in the cockpit at all.

The craft has just basic systems you would expect from a cheap shuttle, and there seems to be some damage to data storage, which is a reason for the system being in safe mode.
KadeS said:
"Maybe in one of the maintenance ports?" I look at the screens.. "probably outside though"
You do see plenty of maintenance panels around the cockpit. And then realize you don't really have a spare shuttle firmware installation lying around, nevermind one that's right for this model.

Checking the vehicles, the humvee is down to 93 kg of hydrogen from 100, and the ATV's are down to 75% of batteries.

Dreamyr said:
"You are literally doing the route I suggested backwards and insisting that we make a trip both out to and back from the farthest distant point thus adding unneeded travel time and use of resources to our trip."
"Actually... when you do the math; if we travel to point number 5 first and go to the other points in this order: 7, 6, 3, 2, we only travel around 1,200 km overall. However, if you travel from point four to either point 3 or point 7, the minimum amount of travel (to get to all points) is at least 1,300 km. Unless the furthest point is our ship.. if so, then there's no need to worry about backtracking."
Marduk said:
Checking the vehicles, the humvee is down to 93 kg of hydrogen from 100, and the ATV's are down to 75% of batteries.
"Given our current vehicle consumption, we get about 17.8 km per kg of hydrogen in the humvees, and 5 km per percent of charge on the ATVs. Meaning we've got another 1,655 km on the Humvee and about 373.5 km left on the ATVs." I look at the humvee to the ATVs. "Was there a charger port or anything for the ATVs? I'm sure we can plug the ATVs into the humvee for extra juice." I look back to my numbers.

"Given the fuel numbers, we've got enough to travel to all points no matter what, even if we were foolish, the maximum travel would be around 1,500 km, give or take 50km." I look at the hydrogen tank. "Speaking of which, how many kilos of fuel are left in the tank?"

KadeS said:
"Actually... when you do the math; if we travel to point number 5 first and go to the other points in this order: 7, 6, 3, 2, we only travel around 1,200 km overall. However, if you travel from point four to either point 3 or point 7, the minimum amount of travel (to get to all points) is at least 1,300 km. Unless the furthest point is our ship.. if so, then there's no need to worry about backtracking."

"Given our current vehicle consumption, we get about 17.8 km per kg of hydrogen in the humvees, and 5 km per percent of charge on the ATVs. Meaning we've got another 1,655 km on the Humvee and about 373.5 km left on the ATVs." I look at the humvee to the ATVs. "Was there a charger port or anything for the ATVs? I'm sure we can plug the ATVs into the humvee for extra juice." I look back to my numbers.

"Given the fuel numbers, we've got enough to travel to all points no matter what, even if we were foolish, the maximum travel would be around 1,500 km, give or take 50km." I look at the hydrogen tank. "Speaking of which, how many kilos of fuel are left in the tank?"
The indicator on the tank says 20 kg.

After packing up your things again, you go on another long drive through the desert.
Arriving to the indicated spot, you have trouble spotting anything at all, until one of you finds a similar sandhill as the last one, except a lot smaller. Keeping with that theme, there are two tail stabilizers sticking out of it.

"...ROB had better not have fucking buried our ship too. If he did I'll make a contract with a dark god just so I can go kill him." I grumble as I grab a shovel and start digging.

"Wonderful... whose turn is it tos tart shoveling? Also, I think we might want to charge the ATVs, maybe hook them up to the Humvee." I suggest as I grab a shovel to begin digging.

"If it starts getting late, I think we'll need to setup the tents."

Dreamyr said:
"...ROB had better not have fucking buried our ship too. If he did I'll make a contract with a dark god just so I can go kill him." I grumble as I grab a shovel and start digging.
In 2 hours you uncover most of the fighter, as it's much smaller than the shuttle you worked on the last time. It has a distinct, pretty cool look, with it's long, thin fuselage, short, forward swept wings, and V tail.
The closed canopy has some cracks on it, and there seems to be some combat damage here and there.

Marduk said:
In 2 hours you uncover most of the fighter, as it's much smaller than the shuttle you worked on the last time. It has a distinct, pretty cool look, with it's long, thin fuselage, short, forward swept wings, and V tail.
The closed canopy has some cracks on it, and there seems to be some combat damage here and there.
"Check around the underside for maintenance hatches." I say as I look on the front for a canopy release. "They should be along the fuselage."

KadeS said:
"Check around the underside for maintenance hatches." I say as I look on the front for a canopy release. "They should be along the fuselage."
You find a small panel with mechanical canopy release easily enough. Few minus later, with your companion's help, you lift the surprisingly heavy canopy aside. The inside looks undamaged. No trace of the pilot, no flight suit or similar equipment, and the controls are unpowered.

Marduk said:
You find a small panel with mechanical canopy release easily enough. Few minus later, with your companion's help, you lift the surprisingly heavy canopy aside. The inside looks undamaged. No trace of the pilot, no flight suit or similar equipment, and the controls are unpowered.
"Looks like this one is out of juice as well." I go down to check for an access panel to hook provide some power to the fighter. "Probably the same as the larger shuttle thing, so it'll need some power."

KadeS said:
"Looks like this one is out of juice as well." I go down to check for an access panel to hook provide some power to the fighter. "Probably the same as the larger shuttle thing, so it'll need some power."
Same story, after messing around with the maintenance panels, you manage to power the cockpit. And again, you are met with aalert spam. Turning it off, and checking the damage control, you notice that this thing looks like it got shot down and crash landed. It won't fly any soon.

"Since we've got daylight... There's only two places we could head down to. There's point 3 and point 7. They're 376 km and 260 km away respectively."

"No, dragging it would destroy what value they have left... We know where it is, so we could come back later if we need to." I say. "And I'd like to go to point 7"

You pack up and head for another, rather distant location. You drive for hours, getting tired, not to mention that night is falling, you have to make a detour around a rather steeo plateau, and on top of that, during that detour you notice ATV's rapidly losing power and speed. What do?

Marduk said:
You pack up and head for another, rather distant location. You drive for hours, getting tired, not to mention that night is falling, you have to make a detour around a rather steeo plateau, and on top of that, during that detour you notice ATV's rapidly losing power and speed. What do?
"I though we were going to charge them while digging out the other fighter.." I look at the sky. "We need to quickly setup camp and hook up the ATVs to the Humvee to charge overnight."

"Yeah. Let me do that. Though this might just be an Akbar. You know how things are. Night is falling, batteries are losing power. Perfect foreshadowing for an Akbar."

I heft my railgun. "Well. Better do this fast and set up camp then. I'll do first watch again tonight."

"I'll take first watch if you want since I slept most of the trip." I add as I head for the back of the vehicle to begin unloading tents.

You set up camp, plug in the ATV's to the car's power system and set up charging, and go to sleep while the watch supervises the charging.

Nothing special happens at night, so you pack up again and finish your travel. The surprise is that... while you seem to be in the right place, there is nothing worth seeing out there. There is the plateau you were going around for the last few hours, rocks, desert...
Maybye ol' ROB trolled you?

I scratch my chin

"Nothing to the left nor to the right or in front or behind. Might be invisible and what about ABOVE!"

I look up.

Back