Final Fantasy XIV: Dawntrail

Holy is also one of the loudest spells in the game, and doesn't require a target. If you want to get someones attention you can just roll up next to them and chaincast Holy until the repeated HARP NOISES drive them nuts.

Final bit of advice on Holy because I see this mistake all the time: Holy is a point blank AoE centered on the caster meaning if you want to hit all the enemies you need to be standing in the center of the pack of mobs.

You can also coordinate Holy with your tank's damage mitigation. If you see them pop off a lot of cooldowns, wait a little to Holy so they can get value out of their buttons, particularly Dark Knights using The Blackest Night.

Final bit of advice on Holy because I see this mistake all the time: Holy is a point blank AoE centered on the caster meaning if you want to hit all the enemies you need to be standing in the center of the pack of mobs.
Well, it's not that tight. Holy's radius is actually surprisingly large, so you can hit people with it from further than you might think. Can be handy sometimes when you're having to dodge aoes.

Art of War is pain though. Such a small area :(

I wish there was some kind of indicator of how large your AOE is; would make gathering groups as tank easier. And take some of the guesswork out of dancer. And give SOME indication that Flamethrower is working on machinist.

Well, it's not that tight. Holy's radius is actually surprisingly large, so you can hit people with it from further than you might think. Can be handy sometimes when you're having to dodge aoes.

Art of War is pain though. Such a small area :(

Yeah. Holy's radius is larger than the other Healer spammable AoEs for some reason (8 yalms, with other Healers having only 5 yalms). SCH's Art Of War just feels smaller because AST can cast Gravity from a distance.

Even SGE's AoE, Dyskrasia, has a 5y radius. I don't actually know why Holy's radius is bigger.

Just got the Garuda fight. Holy hell Gaius is the coolest.

Though I'm genuinely wondering if putting the stones between us and Garuda actually lowers the damage taken? Either way once again not too rough. Make sure that everyone's got a HoT going between those seemed to (mostly) cover them...if they didn't get hit by any aoe's.

Story's really picked up. I'm actually excited now.

Gaius has a cool toy, but don't forget that he's the fascist representative of an empire you should really very much hate. If you don't already, you will by the end of the Mor Dhona part of the story. (And if you don't by then, you either haven't been paying attention or should really rethink how you approach the world.)

When I described them as WWII Japan in China, I wasn't exaggerating for effect. Slave camps and mass sex slavery included.

It's important to note that Gaius's entire schtick is as the Good Garlean and he is still an unrepentant imperialist with a firm belief all other cultures are invalid and that it is the fate and duty of the weak to serve and be subjugated by the strong.

Last edited:
Gaius has a cool toy, but don't forget that he's the fascist representative of an empire you should really very much hate.

I mean, he's got a skull-gasmask. He's obviously evil as hell, but I have to admire the style he brings. I don't think I've seen any of the *really* heinous things yet. So far it seems that they're 'just' standard RPG imperialists who put the rebel group to the sword which is kind of standard for the genre.

Last edited:
You can say a lot about 1.0, but it had really dynamic in game cutscenes.

Also it was pretty great how the Garleans were actually shown as holy shit threats. Gaius has a lot more oomph in that cut scene then Zenos ever did

Last edited:
ARR uses all in-game models with in-game emotes etc. for all its cutscenes, right? I'd imagine that lets them focus development on more important things. And I don't think that Gaius seems less intimidating than the one we face in the Praetorium, for all that he's got a fancy set of animations. I do like the airstrike he calls in, though.

Gaius is a fantastic character. He's a villain with a lot of characterization in him. Since I'm not sure about the thread policy on spoilers for MSQ, I won't say more.

ARR uses all in-game models with in-game emotes etc. for all its cutscenes, right? I'd imagine that lets them focus development on more important things. And I don't think that Gaius seems less intimidating than the one we face in the Praetorium, for all that he's got a fancy set of animations. I do like the airstrike he calls in, though.

Look, after 900 runs of the Praetorium (nowhere near that actual much, but it feels like it) I have trouble taking him in the Praetorium seriously. Especially considering he boasts about personal strength then deploys the Ultimate weapon while I'm standing here half naked with nothing but a pair of chakrams.

(spoiled because someone in this convo is still doing the ARR MSQ)

Gaius's biggest problem is that at this point he's been reduced to a joke because power creep and memeage means no one really takes anything in Praetorium seriously anymore.

Look, after 900 runs of the Praetorium (nowhere near that actual much, but it feels like it) I have trouble taking him in the Praetorium seriously. Especially considering he boasts about personal strength then deploys the Ultimate weapon while I'm standing here half naked with nothing but a pair of chakrams.
Gaius's biggest problem is that at this point he's been reduced to a joke because power creep and memeage means no one really takes anything in Praetorium seriously anymore.
He's utterly unterrifying in the Praetorium, yes. Then again, the Praetorium in its current state is a joke anyway, so...

I'm pretty good at separating 'in cutscene' power from 'out of cutscene' power for Final Fantasy games (you have to be or you just spend the whole time laughing, rolling your eyes and making jerk-off motions at the screen); the fact he gets killed in less time than it takes to sit through his cutscene doesn't make him any more or less of a joke to me.

But he's certainly not a threat out-of-cutscene, no.

Yeah, the vast majority of the in-game non-cinematic cutscenes in FFXIV ever since ARR are using the in-game emotes and expressions, and occasionally some custom positioning trickery. Stuff that shouldn't need a lot of time to implement, and so the devs can put in lots of cutscenes to tell the story as they wish. There's been a number of panels at conventions where the animation team give examples of the little tricks and shortcuts they use. (The one I can think of is pretty well-known, but also very spoilery, so I won't link it.)

Meanwhile, the cutscenes in 1.0 and lots of 1.x were all completely custom-recorded and motion-captured, which brought the cost per cutscene way up, and reduced the number of cutscenes. So they look a lot better, but there isn't much of it.

6.0 Preliminary Patch Notes
Endwalker preliminary patch notes are out! We also have about 19 hours before the day long expac maintenance begins, so if you've got anything outstanding to do before then, wrap it up! Make sure to finish any moogle tome farming you want, clear out your belt inventory if you care (and maybe the rest of your inventory and armory chest too), push any outstanding classes to the next level if you care about the exp reset, drink your Fantasia now and logout naked if you want to go bunny boy, maybe log off wherever SGE and RPR quests begin or where the MSQ starts, and probably another half dozen things I haven't thought of!

IC I've always headcanoned that the daily MSQ roulette is my WoL having screaming nightmares about that whole deeply traumatic sequence of events.

(and sometimes those dreams just put some of her fellow adventurers in a bikini or a chicken outfit because Dreams? Am I right?)

Doesn't mean that Prae hasn't become a joke to me OOC where I spend most of my time trying to see what kinds of outfits the rest of the party is wearing and cracking jokes about "Fascist Podcast man" in the chat when Gaius speaks

Servers are down for 24-hour maintenance.

I had intended on maybe logging in to settle the belt issue, but got lazy. And I like that in this game, that's okay; I don't need to unequip belts from everyone. All it does is move the belts to the Calamity Salvager instead of directly to my inventory, and there's no need to hurry through expansion launch rush to collect them. The belts will still be there when the crowds die down.

However, I am also totally not ready emotionally for Endwalker. I suspect there will be several revelations that I would need a day or two each to digest, and I don't know if I'll have the mental space necessary to do so in the coming weeks.

6.0 Job Guide and Complete Patch Notes
Complete patch notes are out! Not sure if there are any big differences from the preliminary ones yet. More visibly, this is accompanied by the Job guide updating for Endwalker!

Note that job balance can be in flux until Savage releases or even later, so make any grievances politely known on official channels. For instance, Energy Drain was removed from SCH in 5.0 but quickly restored upon backlash. So while total overhauls are no longer possible, relatively big changes might still be on the table compared to the mere numbers game that later patches offer.

EDIT: Only real difference in patch notes seems to be job stuff, both combat and crafter/gatherer.

Last edited:
Course, with all the talk of how Gaius has been reduced to a joke over the years from Prae memes, he at least had a reputation as a foreboding villain. It is my understanding that Lahabrea has never been anything but the ultimate weenie.

Back