Final Fantasy XIV: Dawntrail

Renewal

Boring Person #5883781345
Pronouns
He/Him
I picked this up during the Steam Summer Sale, and finally found some time this time to start playing the free month of service, and it's actually been a surprising amount of fun. Especially considering the many flaws of the original release, FFXIV seems to be a damn solid MMORPG. I'm still in the main scenario progression, so I can't really judge the meat of the endgame content, but it definitely feels like a game I'd subscribe to. And for all of Square Enix's failings, the art direction and music are top notch, as always.

So anyone else on SV here a player?

Last edited:
I played for a month and finished the story then played around with some other character classes.

I might pay for another month at some point and mess around with it some more.

Haven't played in a few months, though my account is still active. Play a summoner on Ultros

Berry plays a Lalafell in an RP guild on Balmung. I was pleasantly surprised with how good it was. Think I'll play for some time, since RP keeps me interested.

Hit me up if you wander Balmung, my character is Strawberry Charlotte or Laurenenne Tierney~

This is a really, really old thread, but I suddenly got myself interested in the game.

Now, the only problems. One, I don't really have enough money for a monthly subscription, but that's okay.
The other problem is more complicated. I seem to be immune to typical MMO addiction, and so I'm not sure if it'll be able to grab me on, and if it does, how good is it if you're an on-and-off again player? Will the game feel lackluster if you tend to lost interest in games and then pick it back up at some point?

I know it has PVE emphasis, and I like that. Hell, if I end up trying it out, the only reason I can imagine doing PVP is to get the Garo-themed armors.
I also really, really like the class/job system it has.

So... Is it worth trying out for a player such as me? Who is only free about two days a week, and they aren't even consecutive? And who should probably do more studying?

The attraction of FF14 is that it's damn well written. The quests, dialogue, and Main Story are better written than any other MMO on the market. The actual gameplay is a carbon copy of other MMOs, and if you can't enjoy the grind, you may be better off finding the synopses and summaries.

The principle attraction, which it shares with its predecessor FF11, is that one character can, with lots of work, fill any role and job. No need to have any alts.

Decided to try it out after finding out that it now has unlimited-time free trial.

Now, another question. Can you still get Tarnished Garo armor from the Gold Saucer, or is that a remnant of something? I don't really care about the prestige or stats of the true PVP-earned armor since I'll probably be too late to get it.

The Garo armor is still available, but I -think- it requires lvl 50, which you can't get to on the trial plan. The free trial only lets you get to lvl 30(40?) which is where the Main Story starts taking off.

I was talking about these boys. Randomly bumped into them on the wiki.
Same thing, Garo armor is available at the Gold Saucer, though you can't dye it. Only the PVP armor can be dyed.

It's actually much cheaper to get it from PVP tokens than MGP coins also.

Oh and there are some really cool mounts from the ongoing Garo crossover event that require PVP.

Last edited:
Same thing, Garo armor is available at the Gold Saucer, though you can't dye it. Only the PVP armor can be dyed.

It's actually much cheaper to get it from PVP tokens than MGP coins also.

Oh and there are some really cool mounts from the ongoing Garo crossover event that require PVP.
I would've been fine with grinding up to that point and seeing if I'm fast enough to get that stuff, but I'm on F2P for now and don't really have the time to pay for a month, much less actually buy the full game. Maybe later, if I get lucky enough with time.

I would've been fine with grinding up to that point and seeing if I'm fast enough to get that stuff, but I'm on F2P for now and don't really have the time to pay for a month, much less actually buy the full game. Maybe later, if I get lucky enough with time.
I think PvP May be unsynched from leveling now, I vaguely recall reading that you can level up with PvP starting around level 15? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The attraction of FF14 is that it's damn well written. The quests, dialogue, and Main Story are better written than any other MMO on the market. The actual gameplay is a carbon copy of other MMOs, and if you can't enjoy the grind, you may be better off finding the synopses and summaries.

The principle attraction, which it shares with its predecessor FF11, is that one character can, with lots of work, fill any role and job. No need to have any alts.
I mean, this is damning with faint praise. Technically better than other MMOs is such a low bar and even then I'm not sure it clears it (especially when compared to say, The Secret World).

There are a few memorable characters (ALL MY BIRTHDAYS CAME AT ONCE) but overall the writing is very by the numbers. It got to the point where I just dropped the main quest after 4.2 or so because it was boring me to death.

You dropped the main quest... after the most recent story update? So did I!

And I agree, that is damning with faint praise. Let me restate it. FF14 is the best written Final Fantasy game, and the best written videogame I've ever played. I haven't tried Secret World, though. Where can I find that?
I think there's a single player version out there days on Steam
Would you like recommendations for well written video games? Since even within the FF series there are several that blow it away and then some. Ye old Ivalice games for instance are way better.

FYI - With the introduction of Cross World Linkshells, the Spacebattles community is setting up a CWLS on the North American Primal datacenter. We see no reason why this can't be a joint LS with Sufficient Velocity, so drop by the FFXIV thread at SB if you want to attempt the strange and awkward ritual necessary to meet people on other servers! :confused:

Last edited:
I saw this thread back when I joined this forum, but the big "THIS THREAD IS OVER TWO MONTHS OLD, ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO POST IN IT" scared me off.

FFXIV has been pretty much my gaming life for the past couple of years, so I was looking for more places to discuss it other than Reddit and the official forums.

Right now I'm feeling a mild bit of frustration about how the new 4.3 trial is so good, but I can't showcase it to others because it's too spoilery.

I saw this thread back when I joined this forum, but the big "THIS THREAD IS OVER TWO MONTHS OLD, ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO POST IN IT" scared me off.

FFXIV has been pretty much my gaming life for the past couple of years, so I was looking for more places to discuss it other than Reddit and the official forums.

Right now I'm feeling a mild bit of frustration about how the new 4.3 trial is so good, but I can't showcase it to others because it's too spoilery.
So i have heard; folks have been discussing it fervently within the spoiler tags over at Spacebattles - which i have been ignoring, because i am still puttering around with leveling every class at the same time. :(

So i have heard; folks have been discussing it fervently within the spoiler tags over at Spacebattles - which i have been ignoring, because i am still puttering around with leveling every class at the same time. :(

The mechanics are fairly simple (at least for Normal mode, and I hear EX is also not complicated), but it's beautiful.

I do have some complaints about the playerbase, and how they expect everyone to do all the new content as soon as possible, and then expect people to know how to do everything literally three days after the patch. I did 4.3 MSQ on the first day, the Swallow's Compass dungeon (very fun, last boss is amazing) on the second, and the new Ivalice raid on the third. We had people complaining about first-timers and dropping after a wipe in that raid.

The mechanics are fairly simple (at least for Normal mode, and I hear EX is also not complicated), but it's beautiful.

I do have some complaints about the playerbase, and how they expect everyone to do all the new content as soon as possible, and then expect people to know how to do everything literally three days after the patch. I did 4.3 MSQ on the first day, the Swallow's Compass dungeon (very fun, last boss is amazing) on the second, and the new Ivalice raid on the third. We had people complaining about first-timers and dropping after a wipe in that raid.
Bleh, i've heard that's pretty common this time. I'm not sure what people expect out of PUGs; i'm always months behind and try to read guides beforehand so i don't look like an idiot, but i totally understand the folks who like to go in blind when the content is still new, so they can get the extra enjoyment out of being surprised and forced to adapt on the fly.

I love getting up early in the morning on patch days to do the new content when absolutely no one has any idea what they're doing, it's always a great time.

I wish I could tell Steam that I already own FFXIV, since it keeps recommending it to me, and I'd like Steam to keep recommending games like it (in terms of its tags of "RPG" and "Great Soundtrack"), but I don't want to keep seeing it on my recommendations.

If you aren't aware of it, palace of the dead is the fastest way to level alt classes up to 60 (msqs being the best for your main/first class). If you focus on nothing but that you can get a level 1 alt to 50 with like 3 or 4 days of grinding, but it is that. A large grind fest

If you aren't aware of it, palace of the dead is the fastest way to level alt classes up to 60 (msqs being the best for your main/first class). If you focus on nothing but that you can get a level 1 alt to 50 with like 3 or 4 days of grinding, but it is that. A large grind fest
I spent enough time in Palace to entirely forget what it was like to party in a normal PUG doing a normal dungeon. I got all the combat classes to 60, then got all non-combat classes to 50 - and then i spent a lot of time trying to empty out my inventory so i could do instances again, because leveling all the non-combat classes at the same time is something you should never do if you aren't willing to buy extra retainers. :confused:

Back