LUDIN'S REPORT III

The last part of the official report with the Holy Nation seal:
"High Paladin Ludin reporting his investigation of the Hub.

As instructed, we reached the Hub under cover of night. We heard voices when we got close to the walls, both female and male, but once past the gate, the voices vanished, and the Hub was silent again. Again, there had been signs of movement inside but after thoroughly searching the place we found no one.

However, it was when I was investigating the bar that I heard Sentinel Amphetio's scream. We looked everywhere but couldn't find him, nor could we find any sign of fighting, not even a drop of blood! It was as if that damned place itself had swallowed him. We didn't stay any longer and quickly withdrew to the outpost.

That place is cursed, the darkness has taken hold of the town, and it must have been this darkness that killed the Shek soldiers and Lusac's hound. I previously reported the presence of potential Shek scouts, but I know now that the shadows were in fact wraiths. The Hub must be torn down and scorched to purify the hill and to cut off the corruption's spread!"

PRIEST VARLOO'S NOTE

It seems like while you've stood here indulging in a bit of historical research, your new comrades-in-arms have been continuing to enjoy themselves. You even see a bottle of empty blood rum. The ninja with the lifter arm even offers you a bottle as you pull another old Holy Nation record from your pants pockets. She shrugs and drinks. In this note, it looks like an individual called High Priest Varloo gives his opinion on the Hub's abandonment:
"As history has shown, the Hub cannot be held.

Every time we try, we inevitably lose it within months. The recent loss at the hands of the Empire was further proof of that: Narko shook the world and made two entire sections of the southern wall collapse. And no later than this week, wraiths have appeared and taken one of our holy brothers.

As long as Narko's darkness covers the place, we cannot hold it. For too long have we fought with the false enemy! We must redirect our attention to the Dark Demoness' first minions, only by destroying the dark ones can we weaken her influence."

Seems there was a split in opinion on exactly which minority the Holy Nation should spend its time focusing on for its death hunt.

[x] That's worrying if the Old Man was involved. Maybe he's not who we thought he was. But -- let's drink and get to know the shinobi!

PRIEST TYLUIG'S NOTE

You start to drink with your new friends, and find out their names are Suki and Kiyoshi, the first is a former United Cities conscript who go left for dead in Bast, and the second is an ex-slave freed by his drinking buddy when she was stealing from one of the Holy Mines. As you get to know them it turns out these two are good company. They even tell you how they tend to make their main revenue, smuggling hashish from the swampland. You pull out the last note in the old man's house and think about his past. He didn't really talk about it, but people change, right? You hope at least.
"While brother Varloo is right on the fact that the Hub cannot be held for now, he is mistaken as to the reason why. Narko's power did not increase significantly in the last years; It is Okran's light that has been wavering for some time now.

Our faith is the conduit that allows Okran's grace to be bestowed upon us. We have let our society fall into decay and debauchery and none, but we are to be blamed. Women acting with ignorant brazenness, children shaming their fathers, men forgetting the deeply rooted traditions of our holy society...

It is not the Dark Demoness' minions that have been covering the light, it is we. If we are to avoid our lost brother's fate, we must purify ourselves! Only then can we save this world from damnation."

If the old man was still around, you could ask him about it. But you get the feeling he didn't hold that hate in his heart, not the man you knew.

[X] Enough reminiscing about the past let's get to training how to use a weapon with the training dummies upstairs and may be get some tips from Suki and Kiyoshi to help

Last edited:
TRAINING MONTAGE ENSUES

You spend an entire day training to fight, open up locks, and knock out targets. Suki tells you not to get greedy, don't take on a group too big or a haul you can't even sell, moderate yourself. Kiyoshi tells you to always keep some buddies around, fighting alone is a fast way to bleed out in the sand. As you hack at the training dummy, you get the feeling it's a parody of some hated public figure. It's a bit too specific to not be a targeted mockery.
5 melee attack, 20 lockpicking, and 20 assassination skill gained!
You had to get something to eat at the bar midway through and find your coin purse is especially light. But you're well fed, and more competent now.

[x] Look for a fellow shinobi in need of a helping hand. Maybe a hashish run?
-[x] Ask Suki and Kiyoshi if they need a third in their group for the next run.
-[x] Ask Kiyoshi if he's tried the hashish, it's gotta be enjoyable if people are buying right?

Last edited:
loneWanderer [LW] engages in subscribing to a monthly juice press service with shinobiBadass [SB]!

Finally getting to reading this, and I like seeing your style of talklogs once again. It's been one of the MSPFA hallmarks I enjoy about your questing style

loneWanderer [LW] lends his ear to traderMaggie [TM] wait, doesn't this go the other way around?
TM: Kid, it's a fucked up world. Just try to do what you can to make it a little less fucked.
TM: I swear kid, just a week with the old man gone, and you're joining the shinobi and chasing bounties...
TM: You have zero experience fighting, at all. Saw you cry when that hobo beat you with a rusty pipe, had to get Nine-Toes to save your behind.

Love Trader Maggie

As you hack at the training dummy, you get the feeling it's a parody of some hated public figure. It's a bit too specific to not be a targeted mockery.

Wish I could parse out the refrance here

[x] Look for a fellow shinobi in need of a helping hand. Maybe a hashish run?
-[x] Ask Suki and Kiyoshi if they need a third in their group for the next run.
-[x] Ask Kiyoshi if he's tried the hashish, it's gotta be enjoyable if people are buying right?

You know I've been meaning to ask, if our MC was raised by a holy nation paladin instead of just being some random wandering nomad wouldn't that mean he started off with some proficiency in some skills that his grandpa would be inclined to teach? In one of the flashbacks to our MCs childhood, we did see Grandpa teaching the MC how to fight by having him spar with a little dummy as a child. Even if it was just playing rather than formal training, wouldn't that translate into some skill with a weapon?

Edit: Also what's the age of our MC? He looks like he's in his late 20s or early 30s with that beard. If he is, I'm surprised he's this experienced, grandpa really must have spoiled him rotten to not make him do some work already and gain proficiency in a payable skill.

Last edited:
PUTTING A CREW TOGETHER

loneWanderer [LW] steals some time from ashlandGhost [AG] and hashHead [HH] like a real shinobi ninja!
LW: Hey, how are you guys? Going on a run or something?
AG: Heading to the swamp to load up on hash, make a run into the UC.
HH: United Cities man, not a great place. Better than the Holy Nation, though. Both of 'em are a-holes though, you bet.
LW: You guys need a hand? I could carry some of the goods right?
AG: We appreciate it new guy, but you won't be able to carry much without a backpack.
AG: And if you can't carry much, we're spending time keeping you safe for not that much in return, understand?

HH: You get dressed up for the job, we'll try to wait for you. But not too long man... got a buyer lined up.
LW: Narko's nasties, how good is this hash stuff anyways? Old man never let me have any.
AG: Its-
HH: Oh man, it's great. It'll totally ruin your life though.
LW: Oh... destroys your body? Melts your brain or something, or does it make you more prone to violence?
HH: What? You stupid or something new kid? No, it'll get you arrested and enslaved for carrying contraband. That's how I got caged.
AG: Just watch Kiyoshi for a few minutes and you'll see what it does. Foolish giggling, increased sense of humor-
HH: And food tastes like, WAY better, flavor has a whole new sensation!
AG: Well, you get the idea. The best part is how much it sells for in the United Cities.
HH: Hey, didn't you get raised by an ex-paladin or something? Can't you fight, or you just like beating on Lil' Tengu there for fun, new guy?
LW: Well- I mean, he mostly taught me about being a proper man of the faith, and how to read. And y'know, morality. All life's important.
AG: And that clearly worked out.

Last edited:
okay. we need dough. back to the mines? that would be sad, and take a couple of days.

[X] Mine some coal and sell it for more money due to running low. After that, buy a backpack that's cheap but not broken or a rip-off of some kind

[X] Look to see if there are some jobs around town that require someone literate. After all, literacy must be fairly rare so it must pay well, and it's at least better than working all day in the mine.

Last edited:
INTRODUCING THE PAWN SHOP

It's the fourteenth day after the old man's passed, and you just spent the last few hauling ore, and offering your services as a literate man in town. Factoring in your meals at the bar, you've saved up a few thousand cats. Had to sell that leather hide you had, but you held onto the ceramic bowl. Now you've ambled up to the shinobi thieves' local merchant, eyeing the stickman up and down. His dark eyes glisten at you, making you feel uneasy.
loneWanderer [LW] seeks a good deal with pawnShop [PS]!
PS: Welcome to the Pawn Shop.
LW: So... who are you?
PS: This is the Pawn Shop.
LW: Okay, alright, but who are you?
PS: I am Pawn. This is my shop.
LW: Pawn huh? That's an interesting choice for a name.
PS: Pawn was no good for Hive. Hive kick Pawn out. Pawn joins new Hive now. Still work for others. Runs shop now.
PS: Was a pawn, still a pawn.
PS: Pawn seem best choice for name.

LW: Uh. Right. You... got some good stuff for sale?
PS: Take a look. Stock may change if you take too long, no-hive.
Looks like there's a small stack of swords, an armored hood, leather armors, shirts of the cloth and leather variety, chainmail, and backpacks.

Last edited:
BACKPACK OBTAINED!

loneWanderer [LW] equips a small thieves' backpack! Encumbrance is reduced! Existing inventory transferred to backpack!
You shift your shoulders as you slide the straps of the backpack on, it fits well. Already you feel good with proper weight distribution on your body. You even have some cats left over, if you want to purchase anything else before your run into the swamp. Could always mine more ore for Maggie.

[X] Buy the leather boots, a good pair of boots will be useful when walking through the wet swap floor to avoid trench foot. Then, buy enough food, drink, & bandages for the journey if the shinobi aren't giving any and go to accept the job.

Back