Status
Not open for further replies.
2019-AT-15: Staff and FortePlus

forums.sufficientvelocity.com

2019-AT-15: Staff and FortePlus Reduced

I am appealing an infraction for 25 points in the thread titled "Canada, eh? [Canadian Political Discussion Thread]" under Rule 3: Be Civil. Details of the staff action. Moderator: shinaobi on October 26, 2019 19:45 EST Action: 25 points Staff warning text: Link to post here. Context of...

I don't quite understand why the reduction was merited. People were dinged for 25 for less.
But then again I'm biased in this case.

Props to Ralson here, and I completely agree with his line of reasoning wrt the pattern of behavior. The good policy is to first determine whether an infraction is needed on its own merits, and only then do you apply a pattern of behavior. It affects punishment, not guilt.

Hmm, is there some rule I am missing here? Can you be infracted for what you do on your own private mail? Or is this the SV mailbox?

It's because marking it as spam can have potentially disastrous effects, because these services keep track of that, and if enough people mark it as spam, suddenly all SV emailed alerts for everyone go straight into the spam folder. If I'm getting it right.

It's because marking it as spam can have potentially disastrous effects, because these services keep track of that, and if enough people mark it as spam, suddenly all SV emailed alerts for everyone go straight into the spam folder. If I'm getting it right.

Worse than that actually, the IP gets blacklisted and the emails disappear into the depths of any competent anti-spam system, never to be seen.

I still need to read the whole thing, but considering the original post, I feel like handing out infractions for calling out people when they're playing with the facts or words of the people they're trying to rebut is quite harsh, and plays cover for a climate of passive aggressive bad faith, knowing the first person to flinch and call the other out will be hit.

On the other hand, this post and the previous ones weren't a stellar attempt to engage with any of that, or with the thread in general so I think the arbitrator ruling wasn't entirely off base (heh) either. I don't think the arbitrator going "welp, your infraction wasn't warranted but here's another one on another basis" is great tribunal behaviour and maybe there should be rules on that?

I still need to read the full council discussion, I'll probably comment again when I'm done with it.

I don't think the arbitrator going "welp, your infraction wasn't warranted but here's another one on another basis" is great tribunal behaviour and maybe there should be rules on that?
That's in the rules in the appeals section:
The Rules which I cannot directly quote said:
Arbitrator Decisions

When evaluating an appeal, an Arbitrator is reviewing the original infraction. If they believe the moderator was in error, they can take any step that the original moderator could have taken. That means they can:

• Decide the original Moderator decision was correct, and let it stay;
  • Decide the original Moderator decision was correct, but used the wrong rule, and simply change the rule;
  • Decide the original Moderator decision was wrong and that the appropriate response was more severe and increase it;
  • Decide the original Moderator decision was wrong and that the appropriate response was less severe, and reduce it.
It seems reasonable to me that part of Arbitration's job is to sometimes say "this is not the right rule, but under another rule this is infractable".

The Rules which I cannot directly quote
Do it like this:
Code:
[QUOTE="Cetashwayo, post: 8912716, member: 966"][LEFT][B]Arbitrator Decisions[/B][/LEFT]

When evaluating an appeal, an Arbitrator is reviewing the original infraction. If they believe the moderator was in error, they can take any step that the original moderator could have taken. That means they can:

[LIST]
[*]Decide the original Moderator decision was correct, and let it stay;
[*]Decide the original Moderator decision was correct, but used the wrong rule, and simply change the rule;
[*]Decide the original Moderator decision was wrong and that the appropriate response was more severe and increase it;
[*]Decide the original Moderator decision was wrong and that the appropriate response was less severe, and reduce it.
[/LIST][/QUOTE]
Arbitrator Decisions

• Decide the original Moderator decision was correct, and let it stay;
  • Decide the original Moderator decision was correct, but used the wrong rule, and simply change the rule;
  • Decide the original Moderator decision was wrong and that the appropriate response was more severe and increase it;
  • Decide the original Moderator decision was wrong and that the appropriate response was less severe, and reduce it.
You get the name from the poster's name, the member number from the URL of the poster's profile link, and post number from the URL of the date link at the top of the post.

Last edited:
Do it like this:
Code:
[QUOTE="Cetashwayo, post: 8912716, member: 966"][LEFT][B]Arbitrator Decisions[/B][/LEFT]

[LIST]
[*]Decide the original Moderator decision was correct, and let it stay;
[*]Decide the original Moderator decision was correct, but used the wrong rule, and simply change the rule;
[*]Decide the original Moderator decision was wrong and that the appropriate response was more severe and increase it;
[*]Decide the original Moderator decision was wrong and that the appropriate response was less severe, and reduce it.
[/LIST][/QUOTE]
You get the name from the poster's name, the member number from the URL of the poster's profile line, and post number from the URL of the date link at the top of the post.
Hella bother but it's better than nothing. Thanks.

It seems reasonable to me that part of Arbitration's job is to sometimes say "this is not the right rule, but under another rule this is infractable".

At which point, it's a new infraction and should probably be appealable as such without escalating to a full tribunal.

(E) if any of the 'four corners' moved as a result of switching rules.

Last edited:
Hmm, what about the ability to refile the appeal to the same Arbitrator if the Arbitrator's decision expands the basis of the infraction?

In practice, it would only be productive to do so, rather than go directly to the tribunal, if the appellant believes the Arbitrator genuinely overlooked something because it was outside the original four corners.

On the current tribunal: thank you to all the Councillors who remarked on this appeal, and to Forteplus, for not requesting this be private.

ok now to the thing I have waited patiently to post for the last month and a half :V
-----

Yeah, but that's always been a problem with forums. You could potentially move to improve it, so the question becomes how to change user behavior. Users perpetuate these kinds downwards spirals in threads both on the side of the person getting pissed who can't stop posting and the people egging them on. Staff will then come in and make some kind of somewhat post-facto attempt to weave things back together again and it doesn't seem to always work effectively. But without a change in the way people even approach arguments in N&P (which is where I see most of this) you'd be fighting uphill just like Squishy was back when he made PoliLaw. The best way is to figure out how the rules can change that behavior. You had some decent ideas on this back during the council elections, but they're of varying power.

#1 seems more relevant for some tabletop threads than any N&P argument as I rarely ever see discord stuff quoted, #2 is a good idea and should be under rule 4 as probably a fineprint edit, and #3 is powerful but also hard because it's just about changing overall mod culture. It's better over time but as mods get more professional some feel like they're losing their individual expression. It clashes heavily with the idea of mods as just another user and some mods want to be more personalized than others.

They want to speak morally and have the chance to be more than just an internet cop while the directors get the actual rhetoric. And I find that the necessity to keep staff happy and interested in volunteering is easily undervalued, despite the fact that SV is already incredibly serious for an internet forum in how it governs itself. There is a point where it can cross over into making mods feel like cogs, which is basically how a proper bureaucracy should be run, but is somewhat antithetical to a volunteer organization of ostensible users-turned-community-watchers. At least bureaucrats are paid and get nice benefits in some countries.

I'm not on many forums, so you're likely right, but it's always troubled me as a pattern regardless.

Re my earlier specific suggestions:
I'd like staff to be happy, less overworked, and interested in continuing to volunteer, but I don't think it should come at the cost of the forum culture. In fact, I think that the more #3 goes unaddressed, the more burnout and unhappiness staff will experience in their roles, because when users regard mods as policing them morally instead of logistically, it raises resentment on all sides. This, in turn, gives rise to siege mentality, which is an inherently exhausting place to be in.

It's possible for an organization to present a calm and even public face while giving people who work within it basic respect, a say in what they do, and the ability to either enact or voice their opinions regarding changes. It's the internal, not the external, which should allow for individual expression and agency of the people who work for it, and organizations that achieve that are often in fact often not labeled bureaucratic. However, I am not against individual expression in mod posts about infractions, so long as pragmatic and logistical language is used instead of moralistic where that is relevant.

I've only seen #1 a few times myself, but it bugged me enough that I remembered it. I probably should have ordered it last, but I put it first because it was the easiest to articulate haha.

Oh, they absolutely have. But those kinds of detailed rule-specific complaints are obviously less common. Hence why I said 'most'. It is absolutely less common to have people talk about specific rules issues than complain about lawyer roleplay or issues with specific content. You are one of the most prolific advocates of re-interpreting these rules and raising these issues, even, but there aren't that many people who do that.

And even when there are, the staff isn't obligated to take up the complaint. They can read it, and just be like, okay, but no, we simply don't agree. There is really no obligation for the staff to change the rules on the basis of a specific complaint if they honestly don't agree with that interpretation. Sometimes the complaint is not feasible or the staff don't think it's an issue. Now maybe that's a problem that the staff don't see it an issue, but it's also not really a moral failing that they disagree with specific rules interpretations that differ from their own.

And IMO the real reason why the staff don't take this stuff on is that no one owns it. Most public services nowadays are developing dedicated reform or 'innovation' units because otherwise they're constantly stuck in inertia. Why? Not just because they're set in their ways but people are too busy. Back when I was staff I could make suggestions or proposals live or die just by bothering to care enough about it to push it through. It's a tyranny of effort. And so often users will see their proposals shut down or not looked at and wonder why the hell the staff aren't listening to them, and it's probably because after years of volunteering you develop a limit to patience and a limit to the horizons of what you're interested in changing.

I remember a few times I would try to set up some reform or proposal as a staff member and it would just die straight up because I forgot. I was busy or had some other shit going on or there was something that interrupted me in doing it like a tribunal I had to manage. In general admin staff are way too general-purpose in their role to be good policy/rule change developers, and arbis and mods are too absorbed in their front-line work. Directors meanwhile have to deal with the business and technical end. So there's no real changemakers unless someone designates themselves as such and does the work to convince people in staff. And quite frankly that privileges those with a foot in the door. Because you have the power to do it yourself, and user proposals are often suggesting the staff do something rather than making a ready-made package for the staff to use. The user tends to underestimate the effort required to do something, and the staff will overestimate, and so a proposal is dismissed.

I definitely understand, having been in volunteer organizations, how people can be exhausted from the grind or simply too busy to pay attention to longer trends or to reform things. Moreover, I know that criticism is best given and feedback is best taken when it is expressed at a time/place where everyone understands that it is meant constructively, and mental and emotional space has been made for it. This means that many times posts in random threads will not be regarded also because actual space for addressing feedback has not been carved out operationally. I'm not mad that staff hasn't run with my suggestions, and have, I think, since maybe the first few months where I might have come out a little strong, been careful to clarify that I may not know all the context. I'm sorry if my wording implied that I was mad! I simply meant to address the sentiment that users do not raise issues on a systemic level, which I knew to be false, since I myself raise them at times and have, I think, at times been regarded as a problematic poster.

I think it's likely, in fact, that both users and staff underestimate the effort required to do anything, haha! Doing things is hard, especially when large numbers of people or institutional inertia is involved. However, I do think that even though SV could limp on into eternity, some of the issues that require work would greatly benefit many people who post here, and hope that the current Council finds a way to work with staff to implement some reforms, including perhaps forming a 'reform unit', as you outline above.

Last edited:
I just read through the Terms of Service and I can't find anything that would apply to marking SV emails as spam.

I guess you could kind of read it as under 3) e) in that marking SV emails as spam as submitting content that disrupts their operation. TBH, if you'd asked me before Ford's response I'd have said it falls under Rule 5 about making it harder to do their jobs. IANAL, however, so Ford's word is worth a lot more than mine.

Last edited:
I definitely understand, having been in volunteer organizations, how people can be exhausted from the grind or simply too busy to pay attention to longer trends or to reform things. Moreover, I know that criticism is best given and feedback is best taken when it is expressed at a time/place where everyone understands that it is meant constructively, and mental and emotional space has been made for it. This means that many times posts in random threads will not be regarded also because actual space for addressing feedback has not been carved out operationally. I'm not mad that staff hasn't run with my suggestions, and have, I think, since maybe the first few months where I might have come out a little strong, been careful to clarify that I may not know all the context. I'm sorry if my wording implied that I was mad! I simply meant to address the sentiment that users do not raise issues on a systemic level, which I knew to be false, since I myself raise them at times and have, I think, at times been regarded as a problematic poster.

I think it's likely, in fact, that both users and staff underestimate the effort required to do anything, haha! Doing things is hard, especially when large numbers of people or institutional inertia is involved. However, I do think that even though SV could limp on into eternity, some of the issues that require work would greatly benefit many people who post here, and hope that the current Council finds a way to work with staff to implement some reforms, including perhaps forming a 'reform unit', as you outline above.

Honestly, that could be a good general addition to the council as a whole, in terms of being the official attempt to push for reforms and projects group. As it stands the staff is already working fairly hard with their number of people, so I don't think most of their members have enough time to be a dedicated reform/idea pusher as well.

So if staff is doing this either they divert people into a newly formed idea, which leaves them working with less people or they do a recruitment drive specifically for this position. And Cetash raised a good point about how those who already have their foot in the door would have a massive benefit on that front and thus not necessarily the fairest or most representative method.

While if we circle back to the Council one major thing that was a constant refrain among a fair bit of those elected was doing community projects and pushing for reforms. They aren't being tied down by duties to the same extent, even with tribunals. I'd say with 18 people, that they would likely be able to take on the job of being the conduit to the staff and the main people pushing for specific reforms. Plus with them being an elected body it would be a representative manner for it.

"Why are you baiting?" is something that should have definitely gotten some level of staff attention. I've received staff warnings for stuff that was equally aggressive and unproductive in the past. There's really no good answer to that question except to just ignore it, and when people keep repeating it, then it's not making the discussion better. It's a suggestive question that's designed to make someone look bad.

I do feel like something's worth pointing out: I think there's a difference between pointing out inconsistency, motivated mistakes, and hypocrisy in a poster's arguments and postings, and badgering them in a way where they can only respond by either ignoring you or escalating. One is a valid argument that people can confront with their own response; the other is just aggressive grandstanding.

So I do think that it should have received staff attention. Whether it was worth an infraction or staff warning is in my opinion just a matter of fine tuning, really. Though if the benefit of the doubt is lost due to previous behaviour, it's worth looking at whether that previous behaviour was bad enough to warrant that loss of doubt.

Last edited:
1) Infraction for marking SV email as spam in their mailbox (25 points)

That is the appeal I want to see, because man if I was using a current email address I cared about I would do that and not think about it.
It isn't on the site rules and others have said it isn't clearly in TOS so, yeah that seems crazy to me.

That is the appeal I want to see, because man if I was using a current email address I cared about I would do that and not think about it.
It isn't on the site rules and others have said it isn't clearly in TOS so, yeah that seems crazy to me.

Spam is unsolicited email to get you to buy products or whatever -- marking email you deliberately signed up for as "spam" is effectively making a false accusation (to Google or whatever other email provide you have) against SV.

Spam is unsolicited email to get you to buy products or whatever -- marking email you deliberately signed up for as "spam" is effectively making a false accusation (to Google or whatever other email provide you have) against SV.
Yeah but many people wouldn't know that, and all I'd really want is "Ignore emails from this person" function which spam does I can always go into the spam folder, my phone doesn't need to give me an alert and the whole nine yards for SV.

You don't even receive regular/frequent emails from SV unless you specifically set yourself up to do so.

No I don't which is why I haven't done it, I'm just surprised as are others, that apparently that is an infraction.

I would assume spam filters would know that any site getting to a certain size will get a number of emails reported as spam, by dint of numbers.

I've reported blizard as spam, I doubt they are getting auto spammed anytime soon.

Yeah but many people wouldn't know that, and all I'd really want is "Ignore emails from this person" function which spam does I can always go into the spam folder, my phone doesn't need to give me an alert and the whole nine yards for SV.
And that is far better accomplished by setting up filter rules to stick the messages into a folder instead of your inbox, rather than abusing the "mark as spam" that's just as likely to cause you to stop getting the messages that you asked for entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back