Status
Not open for further replies.
People's opinions have been interesting reading.

Here are thoughts on everything as the petitioner from my point of view. I don't really want to get engaged in any arguments here, but I do want to contribute my take on things to aid in any further discussion and clarify some things about my stance and motivations. I leave this in the hope that it will do that.

First, I don't actually care about the ban itself. I have no desire to be in or force myself upon a social space where I am not wanted. The idea viscerally disgusts me. I think most people understood this, but I just in case anyone didn't I wanted to emphasize it.

What I did find upsetting was that a false allegation of misconduct was made and then given an imprimatur of legitimacy by staff action in the form of the ban post. Being falsely accused of something, in this case something that can be paraphrased as 'I know that your comment about humans all being slower than computers is secretly a personal attack against me, and you are a manipulative person who is lying when you deny it!', is an upsetting experience. I hold myself to a high standard of honorable conduct, not engaging in personal attacks or tolerating them in others. Life is made pointlessly worse for everyone when people are deliberately toxic with one another. To be accused of being some sort of malignant problem poster constantly attacking others was deeply personally offensive to me and my values.

I suspect that Vecht's idea of the problem poster thing actually came from a situation in another thread when I upset several people by having the temerity to politely tell them that they should not engage in further personal attacks. To make this out as me being the problem is...twisted, to say the least. A form of blaming the victim for creating a 'problem' by objecting to being attacked rather than blaming the attackers for their improper conduct. (I learned from that interaction that to point out personal attacks and request an apology is pointless and in the future I should just report them and move on.) But I digress.

My goal was to be vindicated in that there was simply no evidence to support the allegations, that they were motivated by unjustified paranoia or personal animus.

To put it another way, if Vecht wanted to remove me from his thread for no good reason, I do not mind. I just wanted it to be clear to everyone that the threadban was done merely at his request and not because there was any evidence to support an allegation of misconduct. That if necessary it was on him to justify his decision to the people in the thread who questioned its necessity.

My ideal resolution would have been changing staff posts for QM threadbans to reading something along the lines of: "X user has been banned from the thread at the request of Y. Staff provide threadbans on demand and do not investigate whether any accusations made are accurate or deny bans unless they appear to be made for a discriminatory reason." I hope that staff will institute something like this in the future; several counselors discussed it.

I believe I've gotten something close to this for my particular case by the public exposure of what Vecht claimed and what evidence actually existed. That's vindication of a sort, enough for people to make their own judgments instead of just seeing a staff post about a ban and assuming there must have been good cause. If positive changes to rules and procedure occur as a result that will also be a net benefit I can be pleased with.

Moving on to those rule and procedural issues, I encountered one major concern during the tribunal. The rules regarding threadbans were apparently secret rules only one member of the staff knew. They are nowhere in the rules section of the site for people to look up and be aware of. I cite the actual rules around threadbans, apparently aimed at staff initiated action, and they require rather more than the extremely low standard of 'all threadban requests by QMs granted unless they are clearly discriminatory given by the secret rules.' The tribunal judged this case by the secret rule rather than the only published one.

If that secret rule is the rule that SV wants to institute, that is the administration's call. I do firmly believe however that whatever the rules are they need to be publicly posted in the rules section. Anyone who has studied law knows that there are good reasons we do not allow secret laws. There are huge problems with them. Among these are the limitless potential for abuse, the issue that people cannot abide by rules that they are not aware of, and the point that people cannot provide justified criticism of any potential bad rules if they are kept secret.

SV should not have any secret rules. Everything should be in the open so that people can be aware of what rules they need to follow, talk about them, and bring apparent violations of rules to staff attention.

I was pleased that there appeared to be agreement among the counselors who mentioned the topic. I hope that there will be follow through on this, and that any other internal rules that might be hanging around will be added to the public list as well so that people can be aware of it. This is as good an opportunity as any to go through and do that.

I also encountered two minor concerns. One, the problems of people gravedancing on the banned post with 'funny' replies and Vecht's factually false characterization of events were never really seriously addressed. I believe these things are quite possibly rules violations, and they deserved to be attended to if the rules apply to everyone at all times, as they should.

Two, my attempts to introduce evidence to answer factual questions, particularly the persistent assumption that there had to be something more to Vecht's claims to justify them that the counselors just were not seeing, were basically ignored. I've read the justifications for why, that evidence was only available from one side so no evidence should be considered, but I do not feel that simply ignoring it and making assumptions about what must be true is a good answer. Particularly when the assumption is that the party making the complaint must have had a good reason. That amounts to assuming the result of the inquiry.

In truth sometimes people do make false complaints out of mistake or personal enmity. If a tribunal is a trial attempting to ascertain questions of fact then it is necessary that evidence be allowed to be introduced in order to achieve a just outcome. Trials cannot function without that process, and I hope that the staff will address the question when they consider the process of future tribunals.

At the very least, tribunals should not assume that there is evidence of guilt that they have not seen. That is effectively the same thing as assuming guilt. If tribunals were to do that then there would be no point in having tribunals, so it is best avoided.

For those that have gotten through all of this, thank you for reading.

Two, my attempts to introduce evidence to answer factual questions, particularly the persistent assumption that there had to be something more to Vecht's claims to justify them that the counselors just were not seeing, were basically ignored. I've read the justifications for why, that evidence was only available from one side so no evidence should be considered, but I do not feel that simply ignoring it and making assumptions about what must be true is a good answer. Particularly when the assumption is that the party making the complaint must have had a good reason. That amounts to assuming the result of the inquiry.

In truth sometimes people do make false complaints out of mistake or personal enmity. If a tribunal is a trial attempting to ascertain questions of fact then it is necessary that evidence be allowed to be introduced in order to achieve a just outcome. Trials cannot function without that process, and I hope that the staff will address the question when they consider the process of future tribunals.

At the very least, tribunals should not assume that there is evidence of guilt that they have not seen. That is effectively the same thing as assuming guilt. If tribunals were to do that then there would be no point in having tribunals, so it is best avoided.

But the question of fact that was being ascertained was not whether the complaint was correct, but if it was valid, which is something completely different.

And as you said, your remark could be taken the wrong way making it a valid complaint.

But the question of fact that was being ascertained was not whether the complaint was correct, but if it was valid, which is something completely different.

And as you said, your remark could be taken the wrong way making it a valid complaint.
There was no good reason to take it that way, though. A random insult would be quite out of character with a polite and courteous post history toward the QM. I was an advocate of saying thank you in questions to the QM puppet and the like.

Should we allow anyone to claim to be insulted, regardless of whether there is good cause to believe an insult was offered, and use that to justify a ban? If so then anyone will eventually be a valid subject of a ban by a QM who is motivated to find some phrase somewhere that they can twist in such a way to view it as an insult.

Similarly, the warning requirement is essentially no hurdle to misuse when warnings are permitted to be blanket 'don't do anything I don't like' sorts of things.

If that is all that's required I would be in favor of giving up on the idea of needing to state a justification and code in a ban button for thread creators and just let them ban whoever whenever unless someone complains about discrimination on the basis of one of the protected categories. That would help with the issue of bans coming with the appearance of staff endorsement and therefore legitimacy and cut down on administrative overhead that doesn't really stop any bans because the standard for them being valid is so low.

There was no good reason to take it that way, though. A random insult would be quite out of character with a polite and courteous post history toward the QM. I was an advocate of saying thank you in questions to the QM puppet and the like.

Should we allow anyone to claim to be insulted, regardless of whether there is good cause to believe an insult was offered, and use that to justify a ban? If so then anyone will eventually be a valid subject of a ban by a QM who is motivated to find some phrase somewhere that they can twist in such a way to view it as an insult.

Similarly, the warning requirement is essentially no hurdle to misuse when warnings are permitted to be blanket 'don't do anything I don't like' sorts of things.

If that is all that's required I would be in favor of giving up on the idea of needing to state a justification and code in a ban button for thread creators and just let them ban whoever whenever unless someone complains about discrimination on the basis of one of the protected categories. That would help with the issue of bans coming with the appearance of staff endorsement and therefore legitimacy and cut down on administrative overhead that doesn't really stop any bans because the standard for them being valid is so low.

I admit I'd have a hard time knowing for sure whether this was an insult or not, and might lean towards 'maybe yes':

"Here's to hoping that in twenty years AIs will successfully make all the amazing stories we could ever want to read without having to wait for human writers."

Honestly, more importantly, I don't think you should keep on digging? One of your two main points was that you felt that being threadbanned, something that explicitly is not a staff punishment in the same way other acts are, damaged your reputation. Starting a long argument honestly isn't liable to help your situation. You're free to do so, of course, but I don't really know what you intend to gain from any of this.

I admit I'd have a hard time knowing for sure whether this was an insult or not, and might lean towards 'maybe yes':

"Here's to hoping that in twenty years AIs will successfully make all the amazing stories we could ever want to read without having to wait for human writers."

Honestly, more importantly, I don't think you should keep on digging? One of your two main points was that you felt that being threadbanned, something that explicitly is not a staff punishment in the same way other acts are, damaged your reputation. Starting a long argument honestly isn't liable to help your situation. You're free to do so, of course, but I don't really know what you intend to gain from any of this.

This. Accept your post was bad and move on concerning that subject. You have better points to make about clarifying the rules. And since you've said you're not in this to go back to the thread, there's no point in debating the interpretation further.

Guys, please, I really don't want to get dragged into this, but when people challenge something directly I feel compelled to respond rather than just leave it hanging and thereby implying that I have no response.

Guys, please, I really don't want to get dragged into this, but when people challenge something directly I feel compelled to respond rather than just leave it hanging and thereby implying that I have no response.
I suppose that you could always react the post, but in general, one of the main ways to escalate arguments is to continue pushing them even when you perhaps shouldn't.

Now I'm not going to pretend that I know how you really feel about this in general, but I will note that the staff and the general public have (seemingly) as of now decided to move forwards with the view that the complaint was correct. As some of the posters above me have already mentioned, the current topic is about the validity of that type of complaint, not whether or not the complain in and of itself was correct or not, and future pushing on whether or not your post could have been taken in such and such way or not could in fact be derailing.

I suppose that you could always react the post, but in general, one of the main ways to escalate arguments is to continue pushing them even when you perhaps shouldn't.

Now I'm not going to pretend that I know how you really feel about this in general, but I will note that the staff and the general public have (seemingly) as of now decided to move forwards with the view that the complaint was correct. As some of the posters above me have already mentioned, the current topic is about the validity of that type of complaint, not whether or not the complain in and of itself was correct or not, and future pushing on whether or not your post could have been taken in such and such way or not could in fact be derailing.
I think it would be best to let staff worry about what is and isn't appropriate to the discussion about the tribunal. As for my post, please just take it as information for everyone's consideration and move on.

As a note, the policy around QMs and their powers in their own threads has never been a secret. I've used it myself a couple times, like I said. It's not widely known, perhaps, but it has never been purposefully concealed.

I suspect that Vecht's idea of the problem poster thing actually came from a situation in another thread when I upset several people by having the temerity to politely tell them that they should not engage in further personal attacks. To make this out as me being the problem is...twisted, to say the least. A form of blaming the victim for creating a 'problem' by objecting to being attacked rather than blaming the attackers for their improper conduct. (I learned from that interaction that to point out personal attacks and request an apology is pointless and in the future I should just report them and move on.) But I digress.
not because there was any evidence to support an allegation of misconduct
I believe I've gotten something close to this for my particular case by the public exposure of what Vecht claimed and what evidence actually existed. That's vindication of a sort, enough for people to make their own judgments instead of just seeing a staff post about a ban and assuming there must have been good cause. If positive changes to rules and procedure occur as a result that will also be a net benefit I can be pleased with.
Vecht's factually false characterization of events
false complaints out of mistake or personal enmity
TaliesinSkye Tribunal Thread said:
"because Vecht claimed an unwillingness to ever apologize for anything in his threadban demand, something that is just untrue."

"He similarly was untruthful when he tried to make me out as some sort of serial troublemaker across the forum."

"should threadbans be issued in situations where OPs tell lies in their requests for them, as happened in this instance?"

In which TaliesinSkye first comes into conflict with the MfD community (which shares a significant overlap with LotG, my quest), claiming the reasoning for a particular course of action was purely emotionally based hype, with several posters attempting to have a well-reasoned discussion and not getting through:

I am at a loss for why people are fighting such a simple and widely accepted idea so hard. Sure, teenagers think they're just as capable as adults and resent adult supervision as unnecessary, but that's because they don't have the experience yet to see their own shortcomings and limitations. They're teenagers. I don't think you guys are teens yourselves, so I'm not sure why this is such a difficult pill to swallow? Do you really not believe you've grown a whole lot since you were 15, with a host of mistakes large and small you made then that you wouldn't make now?
I'm going to bed now so I can't really keep up this discussion, but I'd like to say that I feel like you're ignoring our points and are coming rather close to insulting us along the way. I'm sure you mean no ill intent but if you think something is common sense and most people don't agree with you, the problem likely isn't with everyone around you not having common sense but instead with your metrics for common sense. Please keep that, as well as the fact that someone can agree with a foundational principle but disagree with its connection to a given situation, in mind as you continue to argue your point.

In which TaliesinSkye continues on the same point and again comes into conflict with members of the thread:

I get that people are emotionally attached to Naruto and want him in charge, but he's not the protagonist of the series to people in universe. He's just a kid. One with a bright future who will no doubt be a very prominent ninja in the village when he comes into the fullness of his wisdom and power as his father did, but he's not that respected adult jonin with vast experience yet.
I appreciate your willingness to defend your position, but please show some respect to the rest of us here. Saying that we're basing our models of the world on vapid protagonist-hype is pretty disrespectful, especially given that we've been making arguments for our position based on what should be evident as logic based on our own underlying assumptions.

I have no qualms if you want to challenge our assumptions and prove us wrong, but please stop framing it like we're just idiot fanboys.

In which the disagreement reaches a head, with several people suggesting just maybe the problem wasn't literally everyone else, to which TaliesinSkye's only response was essentially "no u" (my own contributions omitted):

Hey now, I absolutely never insulted you. You appear to have somehow inferred that's what I meant. Please refrain from doing that. It drives me nuts when I have to explain at length how I'm not insulting someone and they refuse to take my word for it as though they know better than I do what I meant. I've seriously had to do that before and it's farcical. I'd rather not go down that road again.
f you think something is a true and fair estimation of someone, but in fact it is false, then you will mean no ill intent but the other person will feel slighted. This is what's happening here. I'm certain you haven't intentionally crafted an insult in your argumentation, but nonetheless I feel insulted by your opinion of us.

You know us, you've been in this thread for a long time and you've seen enough to get a good measure of our intelligence and reasoning skills. You know that we're fairly good about arguing what we think is true, not just whatever emotion comes to the fore.

You know this, so why do I hear you spice up your posts with suggestions that we're only disagreeing with you because we're absorbed in Naruto hype? Why do I hear you suggest that we're not actually thinking with logic, but with baseless emotional appeals?

I don't know what caused you to suddenly have such a low opinion of us, but even if you think saying that is only right and fair I feel pretty disrespected by it.
You are of course entitled to feel whatever you wish, but your stated reasons aren't enough to move me to believe those feelings are reasonable in this instance. I suppose we shall have to disagree.

As a piece of advice going forward: if you find you frequently say things, people get offended at it, and your reaction is to be mad at them because they found you said something offensive, maybe the issue isn't everyone else. Explaining how you're not insulting someone isn't the same as not insulting them. And you don't get to disagree on whether you insulted someone. That's not how that works. Members of the thread feel insulted by your assumptions of their thought processes and rational ability. That means you insulted them. Full stop. Clarifying points or apologies or even moving on are all fine. Telling someone that their feelings aren't reasonable and you disagree is not.

I disagree with your points about age, but mostly haven't said anything because lots of other people have said better points on the subject. My two cents is: no, it doesn't in fact matter if Naruto is the absolute best candidate at this point in time. The best leaders don't always get put in charge. Charisma and perception matter a lot. Growth potential for a "for life" job does matter. And being an S-rank active duty ninja means you're not a kid in the eyes of those making decisions, many of whom will be approximately the same age. But, you said yourself: this is politics. So there's every reason Naruto would get picked over Hiashi because the rationale of other political actors. And if you're right and everyone else in the thread is wrong: we're fine as long as Tsunade will take the hat, since age and experience and perception are so important and she's assumed to be more than a decade older than Hiashi and has the pedigree.

We should probably just drop the whole age relevance argument by this point, since people won't be convinced and also the story will likely make us desperate enough to suggest Fifi as Hokage before its all done.

Reread this comment.

You first start by saying "No, I am not insulting you by calling you all fanboys who are caught in the protagonist-hype"

You them immediately start saying that we are cheering him on because we are invested in his story and attached to him.

Can't you see the problem here?
Your reply to "please stop insulting me" was to double down on the insults.

You have taken a suggestion that some people might be fond of a character and want him to achieve his dream and turned it in your mind into a terrible personal insult.

I cannot make anyone be reasonable against their will, so I will waste no further time with you.

Several pages of discussion and back-and-forth wherein TaliesinSkye submits his idea for how he believes the magic system works. Several posters attempt to convince him otherwise (including pointing to evidence in-story), and yet he belligerently sticks to his position. The discussion smoothly shifts from "polite discourse" to "annoyed responses" to "exasperation" to "literally no one wants to keep engaging with him":

I suspect that the QMs don't mind minor violations of the lifting a heavy rock with a storage seal variety because they're not setting breaking as a result of requiring a ninja to operate them, but would quickly regret various kinds of infinite energy machines that were setting breaking. They probably want to leave room for clever small scale stuff for the players to do but not have any one thing have an oversized impact on the narrative.

Go ahead, try to make a perpetual motion machine! Maybe it'll work, in which case HOLY SHIT IT'S A REACTIONLESS DRIVE. If it doesn't work, then it'll probably fail in an interesting way that'll probably tell us more about Chakra. Win/win imo, as long as you don't mind a slight chance of blowing up the entire universe.
ou can resort to answers along the lines of 'because it just does' like some of these, but I'm not sure if such answers can be said to be answers in that they don't actually answer anything. These sorts of answers fall under the downsides I specified about declaring an entirely alien system and then not elaborating about how it works.

I am reminded somewhat of a few magical systems I've run across where anyone who tries to nail down how it works too precisely finds the rules changing seemingly just to spite them. This is a clever way of maintaining ambiguity about what magic can do in stories where the author finds that narratively useful. I think HPMOR might have gone along this route or a similar one to deal with the otherwise dire issue of a character that can apply strong scientific processes to figuring out a very soft magic system that wasn't designed to stand up to that sort of scrutiny. It's been years since I read the story though, so my recall of details is limited.

If I were an author trying to justify a magic system that worked the way humans expected it to rather than in any way that served laws of physics I'd probably go with something like this:

(Type of magic here) lets humans influence the world around them by specifying the desired changes and letting the power worry about the details of how to make the effect occur. The humans might even be doing this subconsciously and the power in effect reads their minds to figure out what it's supposed to be doing and is smart enough to then go and makes that happen. This explains how limited data inputs like a few words or gestures can have a wide variety of outcomes that adapt to suit the circumstances.

In Naruto this explanation even makes sense if we assume the Chakra AI is the agent handling all the details and jutsu are basically user input requests submitted to alert the system that a change is requested so that it can take energy from the user to power the effect and read their mind to figure out the exact implementation. In this model sealing could be explained as a hack that grants direct access to low-level drivers, bypassing the high level wrappers with safety code that jutsu uses.

Using this model means you can mostly preserve the laws of physics, you're just adding a thing on top of it that does very impressive manipulations that look like violations using a highly concentrated energy source that's foreign to our physics.

I'd still impose some limits about there being no such thing as a free energy lunch, though. Regardless of how concentrated an energy source chakra is you don't want it going off the infinite end of the scale.
...okay. If you were making this world, you would have built it in a certain way. Thanks for telling us, but now I'd personally like to get back to talking about the world the QMs built and that we're playing in.
We have observed it to be such in-quest. Unless you would like to argue that Hazou has been experiencing an extended hallucination regarding the apparent mechanics of how Chakra works, I suggest you actually update based on the observed evidence, instead of complaining about "HOW CAN IT BE THAT WAY?"

It is that way, so far as our experiments so far have shown. Figure it out. Stop assuming the physics in MFD bears any major relationship to real-world physics, and start actually applying the scientific method.

Frankly, my impression is that you're annoyed because you don't have two millenia of other people's answers to cheat from.

I believe you've misapprehended the motivation behind my argument. In short, I'm coming at this from a narrative perspective, where complete departures from physics tend to be either unsatisfying for the reader ('please stop asking questions about how Gandalf's narratively convenient magic works and just go with it') or the answers create a lot of narrative difficulties for the poor author to then try to fix later because of unforeseen side effects or implications.

My questions were a small sample attempt to illustrate the issues with the latter, where you can't just try to answer the questions as they come because if you give satisfying answers then they create more questions and it never ends. To some degree this is unavoidable in any story with a magic system at all, but certain elements really kick the problem into high gear and are best avoided if possible. Magic in simulationist stories in particular tends to avoid holes best in a 'basically real physics plus this one thing over here' approach.

My motivation in all this is to help avoid QM headaches and the need for potentially problematic things to get clarified/adjusted after the players have started to rely on it for schemes instead of before. The actual thresholds of where 'problematic' is are subjective though, and reasonable people and authors may differ. I believe that things that produce infinite energy are probably over the necessary headache threshold, but it's OK for people to come to the opposite conclusion.

We do absolutely agree on how a spirit of discovery and puzzle-solving is a big part of what makes this quest fun and intellectually engaging. I absolutely want that to continue and I am all behind setting up interesting ideas for experiments, assuming they're not suicidally reckless ones anyway. (I'm currently wondering if that giant crater on the Elemental Nations map might be explained by someone attempting to compress some big chunk of matter too much and (whoops!) discovering fusion. If knowledge of chakra goes back far enough that the world could have recovered from it, anyway. If it's too recent I guess we can rule it out.)

In which TaliesinSkye insults a person I hold in high esteem for his well-founded exasperation at having arguments blithely dismissed by TaliesinSkye (and indeed the start of the drama that TaliesinSkye brought into my thread). Insists he is happy to reevaluate his positions when confronted with evidence and appeals to his integrity and character, despite all evidence to the contrary. Shifts to playing the victim:

First of all, don't be an ass. It's uncalled for. Do it again and I won't bother discussing anything with you.

If you had presented evidence that any of my assertions were false and I just went 'lalala can't hear you' you'd have a point, but you haven't bothered to do that. If you have any evidence to present I'm happy to look at it and re-evaluate my positions if necessary, because I have intellectual integrity.

But you didn't do that and told a lie about my unwillingness to listen to evidence, and I find that personally offensive.

In which TaliesinSkye blithely dismisses another poster (one example of many, forgive me for not digging them all up):

Without him explaining his reasoning all we can do is guess, and I'm not of a mind to take vague statements and try to construct someone else's argument for them. I already did that dance last night with someone else in the thread.

In which TaliesinSkye dismisses the entire group as toxic and uncivil, passive-aggressively threatens to report "repeat offenders", all the while harping on his unbesmirchable character and integrity. Suggests he should perhaps leave the group, but it would be "rewarding toxic behavior":

You're right to complain, I snapped at you when you didn't really deserve it. I should have been more charitable and just went with the 'I was using say as shorthand' bit.

I've often run into situations where I make some sort of compound argument - 'A -> B -> C' or whatever, only to get a reply along the lines of 'But there's this thing called A that you need to be aware of and here's how it works' and it's deeply frustrating. It's like, 'Yes, I know that, you need to read the argument before you reply and stop reflexively talking down to someone, especially about something they are clearly aware of'.

It's worn on my patience for anything that feels like people explaining things I am clearly already aware of as though I am somehow incapable of perceiving the obvious.

On top of that there's the issue that wasn't a mere sassy statement, it was where someone lied about my statements and then used the lies to question my integrity. Worse than being talked down to, questioning someone's integrity is a serious insult to their character. I am disappointed that the individual in question has not had the decency to recognize their error and apologize, but of course it can be difficult for people to own up to their mistakes. Even something as relatively minor as a rhetorical maneuver that crossed a line.

Before that incident were occasions where multiple members of the board started throwing insults in response to an argument I was presenting in a civil, respectful manner.

So yes, there has indeed been a pattern of problems, but I don't believe my having the temerity to point out incivility as problematic when it occurs is itself the problem.

I suppose an alternative to calling people out would be simply quietly filing reports when it happened and ignore listing repeat offenders. I could do that. It would avoid disturbing the thread if that's a bother.

I haven't seen any of these issues elsewhere; it's just the culture in this one group, for some reason. I'm not sure why. There are many other communities on SV that are quite nice. I can discuss things without getting insults thrown my way.

Should I give up on the group? That would be rewarding toxic behavior, I think. It's easier to ignore the sources of repeated incivility and interact with the people who believe in civil discussion.

In any case I'd rather not keep talking this to death.

TaliesinSkye Tribunal Thread said:
"He also spoke about this as though it had happened between him and myself when it was regarding a third party, which is...odd"

@TaliesinSkye I never said the private discussions were between you and I. I will not be revealing any further details.

The purpose behind my lack of direct citations was because I did not want to dig up all of this and more from several thousand pages of thread. I have done so anyway, because apparently he can't just let it be. This will be my final contribution to this topic.

Last edited:
Two, my attempts to introduce evidence to answer factual questions, particularly the persistent assumption that there had to be something more to Vecht's claims to justify them that the counselors just were not seeing, were basically ignored.

The only claim that Vecht needed to convince us of was their sincere desire to have you removed from their thread, for reasons not in contravention of the rules. We were, in fact, convinced of this.

SV does not have an "off-site investigations" branch, and it is not the role of councillors to play at being amateur detectives to determine who said what on Discord.

I encourage you in the strongest possible terms to drop the topic, instead of continuing to insinuate misconduct on the QM's part.

2019-AT-14: Staff and Jean Danjou / 2019-AT-13: Staff and RoyaNoises
two tribunals
forums.sufficientvelocity.com

2019-AT-14: Staff and Jean Danjou Upheld

I received the following indefinite suspension from Administrator @foamy on 09.09.2019: "On May 8th, Squishy gave you a final notice that any further incidents of harassment would result in your removal from Sufficient Velocity. It is our judgement that this post, violates that warning. As such...

forums.sufficientvelocity.com

2019-AT-13: Staff and RoyalNoises Reduced

https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/bad-political-compasses-and-spectrums.43093/page-237#post-12978167 This is ridiculous. That post was clearly a joke. I'm not "Trying to reduce the impact of these words" I'm making it clear that I'm not actually saying them. This is doing...

I think getting RN's charge reduced to staff notice would have been pretty easy if he wasn't such an ass about it. Compared to the way he went about "appealing" it, the actual charge feels like a nothingburger.

Uuuuh.

It is sad to see long time members banned but Jean... Well I will not say had it coming but during my lurking in the News n politics forum always seemed to be in the center of the mellee in any thread he was in?

Not exactly the one starting things but more like *Hell yea! A fight! Let's jump right in!"

@RoyalNoises ... Well I was not aware they were so close to the edge. I guess I don't lurk in the same parts of the forum but never thought of them the perma banable type if it makes any sense.

I have a poor temper, especially about dealing with anonymous authority figures. I'm genuinely trying to keep a lid on it, but it's very difficult for me, and this particular incident just hit my buttons really, really hard. It was still stupid of me to react that way, but not everything I do is very smart.

evenstar said:
Frankly, given the fact that advocates are afforded fancy underbadges and permissions not given to normal users, and the immediate advice "get an Advocate!" given by SV's appeals process document, pretending they're an entirely unofficial body makes very little sense. If anything they're in a Council-like role as "Her Squishiness' Loyal Opposition."
Tagging @Evenstar because I can't actually quote them.

What permissions? I can't even add a user to my appeal without an additional subscriber status, much less anything like view the report queue or posted appeals or infraction history. The closest thing we have to a permission is a discord server where we can make requests of staff as a whole rather than pming an individual member.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back