Status
Not open for further replies.
He's angry at SV about something and he just can't let it go.

The thread from last year on the EU and its handling of Greece's economic collapse. People were pointing out that hey, the actions being taken by the EU made no sense unless the goal was to punish Greece. And that that was bad and the people in charge should be ashamed of themselves.

He got incredibly butthurt over it. Assblasted, even. Why? Who knows. I sure don't.

The thread from last year on the EU and its handling of Greece's economic collapse. People were pointing out that hey, the actions being taken by the EU made no sense unless the goal was to punish Greece. And that that was bad and the people in charge should be ashamed of themselves.

He got incredibly butthurt over it. Assblasted, even. Why? Who knows. I sure don't.
Charlie Hebdo. After the attack -- and the ensuing SV thread -- he became even more twitchy and irascible towards any hint of criticism towards French policies. The Greek thread what just the spark that finally lit his ammo dump.

Charlie Hebdo. After the attack -- and the ensuing SV thread -- he became even more twitchy and irascible towards any hint of criticism towards French policies. The Greek thread what just the spark that finally lit his ammo dump.
...Rufus is Parisian, isn't he? Christ, that makes a certain amount a sense.

Hmm. You know, that makes me even less sympathetic to him. Lots of people suffered that night and were terrified out of their wits. In a roundabout way, I suppose I was one of them too.

That has never been and will never be an excuse to be an irascible jerk. Those who suffer dearly and retain their kindness deserve respect.

...Rufus is Parisian, isn't he? Christ, that makes a certain amount a sense.

Hmm. You know, that makes me even less sympathetic to him. Lots of people suffered that night and were terrified out of their wits. In a roundabout way, I suppose I was one of them too.

That has never been and will never be an excuse to be an irascible jerk. Those who suffer dearly and retain their kindness deserve respect.
I suppose you haven't seen his rebuttal to the people that used the attack to demonise Muslims?

I suppose you haven't seen his rebuttal to the people that used the attack to demonise Muslims?
I didn't mean "jerk against Muslims", though. I meant becoming bitter in general, losing your kindness towards others, demeaning them, just because you have suffered.

I'll admit, perhaps I'm judging him a bit harshly here. But remember, he repeatedly and explicitly held me, my colleagues, my friends, and all that they built in contempt.

I find it difficult to remain coldblooded about this.

In fairness to Rufus, his hill -- IIRC -- was that the French people would never further demonize the Muslim minority because of the attack, and thus create conditions where these major terrorist actions become worryingly commonplace.

Noble of him, perhaps; I for one have little doubt that he was speaking the truth as he saw it, and was projecting a great deal from his own non-bigoted character. It was also wrong, and is becoming increasingly more wrong. Even Rufus can't be so myopic as to have missed this.

However, Rufus is not a crow-eater even in the best of times, so he latches on to every non-French example of stupid, xenophobic, and/or self-defeating populism in the West (see: Brexit, Trump) in order to dismiss those who would try to call him on these things as utter hypocrites.

Thirded. Telling people you don't agree with to GTFO really isn't the kind of attitude that:

a.) Fosters a healthy community.

b.) Changes people's minds.

Certainly the easiest solution, but not the ideal one. :V
How about we remain polite to someone who has contributed amicably to the thread, even though they may have disagreements with our administration?
If he dislikes the man behind the curtain, there are other places that have different men behind the curtain.

I don't think Ford or Squish or anyone else is going to step down any time soon, so if they are his problem his problem will never be solved.

If he dislikes the man behind the curtain, there are other places that have different men behind the curtain.

I don't think Ford or Squish or anyone else is going to step down any time soon, so if they are his problem his problem will never be solved.
Perhaps. And yet they are still here, discussed the current matter with us with grace, and were remarkably more charitable than you.

Just because someone disagrees with us doesn't mean they have no place at our table. In fact, I honestly welcome it over otherwise contentless posts telling others to leave.

Of course, that's merely an opinion I have. You don't have to agree with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back