Xianxia Encompassing the World! (Xianxia Rec Discussion and Idea thread)

I was in South Korea for a couple of years starting on '04, and the culture had these kind of interestingly warped reflections of Japan's. Like, there was a bunch of stuff that matched with Japanese culture pretty directly, and a bunch of other stuff that seemed to be pretty clearly in violent reaction against the Japanese way of doing things.

The Japanese left scars.

I was in South Korea for a couple of years starting on '04, and the culture had these kind of interestingly warped reflections of Japan's. Like, there was a bunch of stuff that matched with Japanese culture pretty directly, and a bunch of other stuff that seemed to be pretty clearly in violent reaction against the Japanese way of doing things.

The Japanese left scars.
As Zeroxseed often say: South Korean are rough blend of China and Japan, with the best and the worst of both.

Samsung in South Korea is the closest we have IRL to the cyberpunk trope of "mega corp that is basically a state". It was honestly startling to me when I first learned about it. The only better example is the ICE in India, which actually had an army and everything.

That said, I think for both it's important to note that the state is still firmly on top. The EIC stopped being a thing when the British decided it was too much trouble, and Samsung goes through a crisis every generation when ownership needs to be transferred and inheritance taxes threaten to collapse the whole corporate structure. Not that Samsung isn't tremendously, tremendously powerful in Korea, but it does exist by allowance.

One Russian-speaking Korean scholar describes both countries this way: "North Korea is one big Chaebol, while South Korea is a union of small North Koreas."
Lmaoooo
Samsung goes through a crisis every generation when ownership needs to be transferred and inheritance taxes threaten to collapse the whole corporate structure
There are like hundreds of webtoon lampooning the instability and cutthroat nature of Samsung family

Fic idea, guy from earth with espers is reincarnated into a xianxia. So basically the guy is reincarnated with a physique called the load back physique. Extremely rare physique that has only been recorded once in history. The guy who previously had it reached the 16th level of qi condensation. This was unprecedented most only reached the 9th realm before breaking through. Only heavens chosen could reach above that to the tenth and only the god emperors in their past could reach the 13th. The 13th was the limit. But that guy who reached the 16th level soon after died from old age. He was 300 years old, the load back physique doesn't enhance your innate talent but it restructure your body to not only make every realm harder to break through but stacks on extra levels in each great realm. To an unknown extent because the only person with this physique never passed qi Condensation. And the extra levels don't increase your lifespan either. In other words it's about as useless as useless gets.

But our reincarnate was an esper, his unique ability was "growth" which was middling in his homeworld. Even with him doing nothing He passively grew in all aspects except height. And even as a kid he grew very tall before he hit adulthood and stopped growing he was freakishly tall at 9'7 but in a world with magic people it wasn't too extraordinary. He grew stronger and faster more durable and even more intelligent. Training only exacerbated that growth and as a side effect he could even heal cut off limbs in hours like a starfish. But the growth never increased in rate and only showed fast effects after training. And in a world with people using their minds to flip islands it wasn't enough.

He is reborn in a common mook village in a low level plane with shitty spirit roots and low comprehensive talent. On top of that he's from the horned race which is considered demi-human and while they can join human sects they are often discriminated against. But his growth ability has transformed into the spiral physique. Which is basically the sane thing except it effects cultivation aspect things as well. Like his spirit root grade. The amount of qi in his body. His innate physical talent and soul talent, and his comprehensive ability and bloodline.

This is weak too strong with no golden finger. Funnily enough the higher his innate talent though the more difficult it is for him to break through realms. As that trope appears in xianxia the higher your talent the more struggle. This is even worse with his other physique. So cultivation will go fast in the start but slow down mid story probably. But on principle they will be a super realmbreaker.

But that's the idea this was long

Last edited:
I've forgotten the name, but there's a manhua out there about a guy who's broken through to something like the thousandth level of qi condensation, due to a special constitution. He wants to break through to the next realm, but every time, it's just another level of qi condensation. "That only happens when you surpass your own limits, and you have no limits, so...." He's one of the most overpowered people in the world, because everyone who could possibly be his peer has ascended already. He occasionally gets really bitter about the fact that he can't use flying swords. Other than the downright bizarre stuff they pull with sexual politics, it was pretty good.

"Do you discriminate against the qi condensation cultivator?"

So basically one of those where the protag is looked down upon, forever, because through fiat he gets some mid-looking constitution that does nothing but shackles him to a single tier.

I recall that one. And pretty much everyone knows how terrifying he is.

IIRC, death tried to take him (qi condensation does not confer immortality) but he keeps beating up the death god assigned to collect him.

I've forgotten the name, but there's a manhua out there about a guy who's broken through to something like the thousandth level of qi condensation, due to a special constitution. He wants to break through to the next realm, but every time, it's just another level of qi condensation. "That only happens when you surpass your own limits, and you have no limits, so...." He's one of the most overpowered people in the world, because everyone who could possibly be his peer has ascended already. He occasionally gets really bitter about the fact that he can't use flying swords. Other than the downright bizarre stuff they pull with sexual politics, it was pretty good.

"Do you discriminate against the qi condensation cultivator?"
Do you perhaps mixing two works with similar premise? I'm certain I'm familiar with both of them.

There's [100.000 years of Qi refining] which is set in normal xianxia universe, and the baby-faced MC have actual old man mentality for being so old and tired of not ascending after 100.000 years of cultivation.
There's [10.000 layers of Qi refining] which is set in pseudo-modern world, and the MC is just typical cold asshole and he thought that if he can reach the 10.000th layer he might be able to break through. He's still old, but more like, hundreds of years old and act like he's 30.

Since you're talking about manhua, it might be the second one, which is awful to read and very, very sexist. However, how you characterize the MC sounds like the first one.

Last edited:
Do you perhaps mixing two works with similar premise? I'm certain I'm familiar with both of them.

There's [100.000 years of Qi refining] which is set in normal xianxia universe, and the baby-faced MC have actual old man mentality for being so old and tired of not ascending after 100.000 years of cultivation.
There's [10.000 layers of Qi refining] which is set in pseudo-modern world, and the MC is just typical cold asshole and he thought that if he can reach the 10.000th layer he might be able to break through. He's still old, but more like, hundreds of years old and act like he's 30.

Since you're talking about manhua, it might be the second one, which is awful to read and very, very sexist. However, how you characterize the MC sounds like the first one.
There is also [I have refined Qi for 3000 years]/[My Three Thousand Years To The Sky] with a similar premise. I think this is the one @drakensis remembers, the MC forgets to take longevity elixir and has to beat up the death gods who come to try and collect his soul.

Last edited:
The apparent number of stories about people just going to ever increasing stages of qi refinining is amusing. I knew I had seen at least a few around, but never bothered to count them.

Not as the MC, but in Forty Millenniums of Cultivation there was also a planet of qi refiners that just went to ever higher levels of qi refining because all the elitist Foundation Establishment+ people fucked off somewhere else and left the qi refining peasants behind. MC took one of them as a disciple.

The apparent number of stories about people just going to ever increasing stages of qi refinining is amusing. I knew I had seen at least a few around, but never bothered to count them.

Not as the MC, but in Forty Millenniums of Cultivation there was also a planet of qi refiners that just went to ever higher levels of qi refining because all the elitist Foundation Establishment+ people fucked off somewhere else and left the qi refining peasants behind. MC took one of them as a disciple.
That's a gross understatement of the conflict. The actual story was that a planet ending disaster was about to happen, and two factions emerged, one that wanted to escape the planet taking things that may be of use and return once the fallout ends. The selection process for the spaceships was pretty democratic, and most of the high level cultivators were in support of it. A weak qi condensation level cultivator committed suicide in front of the parliament, bringing a lot of people to another faction, that advocated strengething the planetary defences and staying there. So these two factions fought for resources for the starship and planet plan. All this went well, and at the end they went off relatively peacefully. But, turns out that a few bad actors from the spaceship faction had stolen all the resources left off for the planet-stayers, and escaped as pirates. So, the planet people hated the space people, and the space people saw the planet getting totaled, so they thought the planet protection people were rednecks that didn't know the immensity of heaven and earth. being in a bad zone, the people left over in the planet develop a pretty awesome steam/qi punk civilization, and end up cultivating more levels of qi condensation because all the resources were taken over by the pirates. So, It was not high level cultivators leaving people for granted.

Forty millennium is good at the start and then it becomes a drag to read. Not that I don't like philosophical discussions but lord there's too much. And the Mc will die anyways as immortality is impossible in that verse right? What's the point of cultivation then?

because Forty Millenniums is essentially a science fiction story in the skin of a xianxia. You can substitute the cultivators for psykers, mages, and whatnot and the point still stands. I think the main story is more about how superpowered people should govern themselves and treat mortals, and the potential of humanity, I guess.

Back