Why Game Stats are Poison to Storytelling

Most importantly it's characterful, and it makes a great deal of 'sense' within the assumptions of the setting. Bounties represent, in a raw dollar value, how dangerous a person is. When the World Government puts a hundred million bounty on someone, you know hat they take that person seriously, that they are a big deal because of the attention they have received. However by nature they have some ambiguities. To start, they are criminal bounties, not direct representations of power, so for a while Robin had a higher bounty than Sanji, even though Sanji is the stronger of the two, while Chopper has a bounty of 100 because the World Government think that he's a pet.

Also because they are arbitrary cash values, they can be manipulated by the powers that be, for one reason or another. They exist in a really interesting story space as a result, while still effectively working as a system of power level.

Not really. In theory yes, but in One Piece it doesn't work that way. Bounties suffer from some of the worst escalation I've ever seen. What's impressive one arc is the norm for the next. Look at the Corrida gladiators' bounties for the most blatant example. 100 million, 200 million, 300 million bounties meant for legendary pirates and arc villains on actual nobodies. Whats meant to be a 'This person is really dangerous' signpost falls flat because they just keep getting higher. OP doesn't actually rely on bounties for threat levels all that much but when it does it's fairly ridiculous and handwaved away later.

And if power levels as in A<B<C are really so essential to the story then you really need to rethink something. At best it's a lazy shorthand for developing threats, at worst it sucks out all tension from fights since you've been explicitly told who's going to win.

Not really. In theory yes, but in One Piece it doesn't work that way. Bounties suffer from some of the worst escalation I've ever seen. What's impressive one arc is the norm for the next. Look at the Corrida gladiators' bounties for the most blatant example. 100 million, 200 million, 300 million bounties meant for legendary pirates and arc villains on actual nobodies. Whats meant to be a 'This person is really dangerous' signpost falls flat because they just keep getting higher. OP doesn't actually rely on bounties for threat levels all that much but when it does it's fairly ridiculous and handwaved away later.

The scale is different in the New World, which is hardly a big deal. Bounty escalation is also a realtively recent phenomenon - it was really only after the Sweet commanders were introduced that Ace's 550 million was exceeded, which figures given that the manga is now basically starting its final act.

The scale is different in the New World, which is hardly a big deal. Bounty escalation is also a realtively recent phenomenon - it was really only after the Sweet commanders were introduced that Ace's 550 million was exceeded, which figures given that the manga is now basically starting its final act.

Alabasta wanted us to believe that 80mil was unbelievable and by extension insurmountable. This makes no sense later and was handwaved away, so what was even the point? Moriah, with the second highest bounty among the Warlords and formerly a rival to an Emperor, now fallen from greatness, has something in the 300 million range. Nowadays people are complaining that Sabo, with 600 million, has a ridiculously low bounty. Bounties definitely escalate quickly, and discrepancies are handwaved away.

Bounties are a convenient but not very convincing shortcut, one One Piece doesn't at all need or use. When it does use it breaks suspension of disbelief. It's exactly the sort of thing Revilid is complaining about. It's clever and nuanced in theory, but its just lazily utilized.

EDIT: Moriah is a good example, because his supposedly high bounty is lower than minor pirates such as Cavendish.

Last edited:
EDIT: Moriah is a good example, because his supposedly high bounty is lower than minor pirates such as Cavendish.
Moriah is actually a very bad example, since the Warlords bounties are frozen when they become Warlocks. Witness Crocodile, with a lowly 80 million bounty, being a major player in the Marineford battle.

Moriah is actually a very bad example, since the Warlords bounties are frozen when they become Warlocks. Witness Crocodile, with a lowly 80 million bounty, being a major player in the Marineford battle.
Then why were they chosen in the first place? Moriah was at his highest and most powerful before then, so this makes no sense. Anyhow I feel like we're drifting off topic.

Anyhow I feel like we're drifting off topic.

To bring us somewhat back on topic...

The bounty system is interesting because of what it encourages.

You're right in that it was not the most internally consistent metric ever developed, however @Ford Prefect's right in that it is probably the best that's been seen to date.

Numbers Getting Bigger is something people like and Oda made the trope more substantial because it represents not only strength, but impact: the government (your enemy) respects you this much and is willing to shell out exactly this much for your corpse. When the Straw Hats squee/quail in horror at their rising bounties, it's not an acknowledgement of 'my ATK stat is this much more potent' but rather 'WOW WE JUST DID A REALLY BIG THING THERE.'

The fact is the bounty system encourages a certain sort of storytelling. You don't get wrapped up in training shenanigans because it's not strength that gets measured it's plot: what you do makes your bounty go up. When Goku's PL rises to over 9000 all that means is that he's a lot stronger than he was at PL 4000. When Luffy rescues Robin and everyone was like holy shit, the WG gave them all bounties and it was a very satisfying shounen-esque resolution. It has impact, it has style and it puts a period to what tends to be a really notable arc.

For example, other than the over 9000 bit that was inexplicably pounded into the internet's collective psyche, I don't remember or care what Goku's PL was at any point. I think he may have hit a million when he went SSJ for the first time, but I'm not sure - it could've been ten million or a hundred million, but in the end it's all just numbers.

But you bet your ass I remember when Luffy's bounty first hit 100 million (he'd just defeated Crocodile) and when it hit 300 million (rescued Robin). That is one hell of a trick. People like Numbers Going Up but no one actually cares about them. Oda associates those numbers with his arcs and you go: holy shit!

When other people get to where the Straw Hats are and have similar bounties you know, right off the bat, that they have had adventures and did things that are similar to what the Straw Hats did. It's a shorthand for 'a lot of shit went down that you didn't see and these are notable people'.

Oda's bounties are half-PL, half-reputation. That they don't always intersect perfectly is a consequence of the medium and the needs of that medium: sometimes you need to hype people up, and sometimes it's obvious that the PL mechanic of a series that was planned to last five years could not really survive one that went on for 10, then 15, then 20 (One Piece is about that old, right? It's not just me?) and the inevitable inflation that accompanies a setting where one of the main points is that the villains you're facing couldn't hack it out there in the 'real' world.

But what's best about the One Piece bounty system is what gets left unsaid. Certain people just never get their PL measured. We never find out what Whitebeard's bounty was (nothing would suffice - it would have cheapened his reputation) or Roger or even Big Mom whom the Straw Hats are fighting right this second. When an enemy gets announced as having X bounty, it either serves to hype up their fight, save time, or go 'this guy will be notable later on, remember them'. But when someone doesn't have a bounty it's because Oda mentioned them three hundred chapters ago and they don't need a bounty.

I think, ultimately, that's the problem with a system that measures everything and gives it a number. Once you introduce that you can't stop it from taking over everything else. The bounty system, on the other hand, can be carefully shooed away when you need to be a little more serious or reintroduced for comedy and other such things.

Last edited:
Also a thing on the bounty system- it's subjective. The gov would totally give a higher bounty because a pirate operates physically closer, or looks scarier, or because their ocean simply has a more dangerous rep. And of course being part of the huge crews is certainly worth more, because strategically it helps to weaken Mom, Kaido, etc..

Plus, finally, they can be fooled. Buggy.

So yea, the truly high ones are all really dangerous, but the difference between a 800 mil and a 1 bil or a 200 mil and a 300 mil stands a very good chance of being non strength related. It serves as a guideline but is super non absolute.

Or conversely, you have Naruto stats, which are fairly objective but between 6 stats clearly do not equal a pure 'who'd win.' Someone could have much higher totals but face someone who's better in *only* hand to hand, they fight up close, latter wins. And later on there are ninja who're off the chart.

Last edited:
Naruto stats have the advantage of more often then not when applied to what level you're on it isn't how strong you are but what level of danger you're trusted to handle. Which is a nice and actually interesting shorthand when that first major mission turns out to be way above their paygrade(honest question, if the assessment was wrong do you get pay adjusted to match the actual? Does it only go up? Or does it go up and down depending on the situation?).

It's one of those little things if it comes up once or twice I'd love it because it builds the world and makes sense. Also because I could see Naruto getting hype that they survived and are gonna get paid.

Naruto stats have the advantage of more often then not when applied to what level you're on it isn't how strong you are but what level of danger you're trusted to handle. Which is a nice and actually interesting shorthand when that first major mission turns out to be way above their paygrade(honest question, if the assessment was wrong do you get pay adjusted to match the actual? Does it only go up? Or does it go up and down depending on the situation?).

It's one of those little things if it comes up once or twice I'd love it because it builds the world and makes sense. Also because I could see Naruto getting hype that they survived and are gonna get paid.

The pay doesn't get adjusted I don't think- unless they can hit the patron with some kind of breach of contract, then it might go up (speculation, hasn't happened), but if you are hired to protect something and no one attacks, then oh well, that's how it works.

They did note that once it became clear their C rank should be an A rank, they could simply abandon the mission with no problem.

I'd suspect some missions work on sliding performance based pay scales too... like 'per X retrieved' or 'X for each enemy captured/killed' or such.

Back