Warhammer 40k General thread

In the grim darkness of the future there is only war... also dice... and lots of painting.

I have often remarked how despite how often the franchise is brought upon this site there was a noticeable lack of general thread dedicated to it, something I have repeatedly said I would remedy only to forget and move on for one reason or another. This time however it seems I am finally going through with making it as the dearth of good alternative places to discuss the being especially obvious to me in this moment. With Reddit splitting itself into much too niche areas, old forums being rather dead and 4chan... being 4chan.

So here we go, I envision this as a place to chat about the setting, the game, the hobby, the various books and games and such generally as well as to post the occasional meme or funny picture.

One last thing though, while I don't want to be controlling or tyrannical I would ask that everyone try to stay cool and level headed. Please don't parachute in just to say that it sucks or is problematic or such, and likewise please don't get too up in arms defending your personal flavor of colorful space men from critique.

Have fun everyone, and fight in the name of [Insert preferred faction here]

I am currently reading Severina Raine: Honourbound and man, 40k should have way more present tense books. Know No Fear is so good. Present tense works are cool.

I am currently reading Severina Raine: Honourbound and man, 40k should have way more present tense books. Know No Fear is so good. Present tense works are cool.
Know no fear was pretty great. That bit near the beginning where it describes the word bearer attack starting by ramming into the Macragge space dock. Going into a page worth's of detail as to what happened only to say at the end all of the above happened in less then half a second.... oof that still gives me chills.

There is a pub called Davin near my place. I have yet to encounter a child of Emperor, however.

Snipe and Wib are great. Very funny and informative without devolving into just dryly reading off lexicanum entries like some youtubers. Their codex compliant series is really fun since its interesting to see how much or how little some things have changed.

Anyone got anymore recs for youtubers? Personally I really enjoy Tabletop tactics and Skardkast for battle reports and 40k theories for lore stuff.

The silent king is returning!
I suppose it makes sense,with the primarchs coming back you kinda have to give the other factions some big centerpiece character. I wonder lorewise what is gonna happen, previously it was shown the Silent King was interested in an alliance or at least non aggression pact with the blood angels, would be cool to see if that manifests.

Eeeeeeeeh, its funny but it also has some aspects I kinda dislike as well. Like TTS makes a setting thats pretty focused on imperials and doubles down on that hard, with everyone but the imperium and especially the primarchs becoming some variation of background extras. Also while its miles better then 1d4chan and original /tg/ about some things, an air of chuddy nerd bro can sink through from time to time.

@DkArthas, so? The Imperium literally operates on feudalism. Most of the planets can do what they want and pay tithes to the top people to leave them alone.
The Imperium being fascist is a meme.

@DkArthas, so? The Imperium literally operates on feudalism. Most of the planets can do what they want and pay tithes to the top people to leave them alone.
The Imperium being fascist is a meme.
Not true at all. The Imperium is decentralized because of their own incompetence and the intrinsic difficulties of managing an empire of that size, not because of any ideological opposition to centralization. This is not a valid argument against charges of fascism.

Not to mention that the evidence of fascism is overwhelming. For example, let's look at some common fascist traits.
  • Rejection of Modernism/Support for Reaction: Fascist ideologies may use the trappings of modernism, such as industrial technology, but they reject the values they associate with modernity such as reason, egalitarianism, democracy, etc. It shouldn't need much explanation of how this applies to the Imperium, technological innovation is extremely heterodoxical at best if not outright heretical. And it's not like social movements are likely treated much better.
  • Irrationalism: Fascists support action for the sake of action, they reject contemplation or intellectualism seeing it as "womanly" and thus weak. It can't be denied that the Imperium supports Irrationalism, "an open mind is like a fortress unbarred" etc.
  • Rejection of Difference: Fascist movements rely on the fear of difference, the outsiders must be kept out if the organic body of society is to remain pure. The Imperium is all about this, from their meme-tastic hatred of aliens to their treatment of mutants they aggressively reject any difference. With the exception of Abhumans and Space Marines, but this does not make them less fascist, hypocrisy is perfectly normal in fascism (see: Hitler allying with the Japanese).
  • Obsession with the Plot: Fascists need to drive the population into a frenzy to justify their constant purges and crackdowns, because of their Rejection of Difference the plot always has an ethnic tinge. For the Imperium this manifests in the form of their paranoia about Chaos, admittedly Chaos is an actual threat but the Imperium undeniably makes it worse by accusing people of heresy at the drop of the hat and making people's lives worse. So I'm counting this as a manufactured threat, a more competent/benign civilization would resist Chaos much more effectively.
There are more common traits of fascism but I think this illustrates the point quite nicely. The Imperium of Man is undeniably fascist, arguing otherwise is incorrect and baffling. There's a reason that they were called the "Cruelest and Bloodiest Regime imaginable", they aren't the heroes and just because the other guy is a monster doesn't make that less true.

That's why I love 'em, they're hideously dark by the standards of a sane universe. But there is a difference between loving them as a character and excusing them, we should never approach the latter.

Last edited:
Eeeeeeeeh, its funny but it also has some aspects I kinda dislike as well. Like TTS makes a setting thats pretty focused on imperials and doubles down on that hard, with everyone but the imperium and especially the primarchs becoming some variation of background extras. Also while its miles better then 1d4chan and original /tg/ about some things, an air of chuddy nerd bro can sink through from time to time.

As opposed to the official 40k media, which isn't chuddy at all.

I'm not saying TTS is good, neccessarily. I'm saying that, as a pile of stupid memes, it is the best thing that Warhammer 40k will ever succeed at being.

Last edited:
I mostly have just read the Caiphas Cain books. Anything similar in Warhammer?
I think the Gortrek and Felix books have a somewhat similar feel? in that they are about two heroic but small folk going on adventures rather then kings lords and massive wars.

As opposed to the official 40k media, which isn't chuddy at all.

I'm not saying TTS is good, neccessarily. I'm saying that, as a pile of stupid memes, it is the best thing that Warhammer 40k will ever succeed at being.
Again I really have to disagree, its definitely funny but I would not want it to be the standard canon by any means, for one thing as I said TTS focuses almost entirely on the imperium, space marines and custodes specifically (and even then its really obvious which factions are the writers favorites) , while I genuinely find the Xeno side... Necrons, Tau, eldar of their many flavors to be more interesting and dynamic.

As for Chud level, while canon 40k definitely has a lot of problematic elements, its often less in your face about it then the obnoxious mid 2000s channer tone TTS and its 1d4chan/tg roots can manage. A canon black library 40k book will probably have some eye raising stuff about the cult of heroic sacrifice and how xenophobia and authoritarianism is actually super deep and justified and *Hard man intensifies* but it probably wont feature a lot of juvenile jokes about X person being a retard or the Eldar being gay or using rape as a synonym for ownage.

Lastly, maybe this is me just revealing I have been a nerd for a long time but a lot of TTS's stuff is kinda dead horse tier at this point. Complaining about how the ultramarines have wardian plot armor would make my eyes roll a decade ago, but that is still their characterization in the show.

This all makes it sound like I hate Alpha and I really don't, I just don't think TTS is the be all end all of the fandom.

To get away from the meta discussion and bring it back around to the game that is real and exists, has anyone been playing any games lately? Alex introduced me to it a couple weeks ago and I've been building different armies to see what I like.

Wait, you guys play tabletop? I assumed everyone here consume memes and nothing else here. :V

I think the Gortrek and Felix books have a somewhat similar feel? in that they are about two heroic but small folk going on adventures rather then kings lords and massive wars.

Gortrek and Felix is pure pulp. It's good pulp. It doesn't take itself very seriously, it knows it's high fantasy murdering and doesn't aspire to do more. Granted I've only read up the first quarter of Vampire Slayer and later on changes authors for reasons still unknown.

Lastly, maybe this is me just revealing I have been a nerd for a long time but a lot of TTS's stuff is kinda dead horse tier at this point. Complaining about how the ultramarines have wardian plot armor would make my eyes roll a decade ago, but that is still their characterization in the show.

Have you seen the new TTS stuff? I think Alfabusa has seriously stepped up his game. He has moved away from the more early -chan meme stuff and while he still sticks to Pillarstodes and the like, it's very clear he knows the material and the fandom surrounding it. He and Snipe/Wib are like the go-to guys for this kind of thing. The episode with the cast playing Warhammer Fantasy is just top-tier stuff. Saying TTS is 'just memes' while true also kinda ignores the more contemplative underpinnings of the new writing.

It also helps he's been on schedule for the past year or so instead of having these long pauses from before.

I've got an eldar army I've wanted to build, but I'm lazy right now. :/ Started out with Dark Angels and Chaos, but then grew distasteful of the Imperium, so now I'm mainly interested in building Aeldari and Chaos models. When this plague recedes in full, I'll probably get an Orkish WAAAGGHHH going. Orks are the best thing about 40k, bar none.

Gortrek and Felix is pure pulp. It's good pulp. It doesn't take itself very seriously, it knows it's high fantasy murdering and doesn't aspire to do more. Granted I've only read up the first quarter of Vampire Slayer and later on changes authors for reasons still unknown.

If I recall correctly, Bill King moved to Poland and started working on other projects. BL held his two series (Gotrek & Felix, and the Ragnar Blackmane novels) suspended for a few years before Nathan Long picked up G&F with some...decent books, yeah. Nothing too much wrong with them, but I didn't really feel the same kind of charm that the King books did, apart from his first entry Orcslayer. Meanwhile Lee Lightner picked up the Ragnar series with a couple of books that were...extant. I wasn't a huge fan. Nothing that ever topped Demonslayer/Dragonslayer or Wolfblade, respectively.

To get away from the meta discussion and bring it back around to the game that is real and exists, has anyone been playing any games lately? Alex introduced me to it a couple weeks ago and I've been building different armies to see what I like.

Do the RPGs count? We're starting a Wrath and Glory campaign this weekend (sequel to our concluded Dark Heresy one).

If I recall correctly, Bill King moved to Poland and started working on other projects. BL held his two series (Gotrek & Felix, and the Ragnar Blackmane novels) suspended for a few years before Nathan Long picked up G&F with some...decent books, yeah. Nothing too much wrong with them, but I didn't really feel the same kind of charm that the King books did, apart from his first entry Orcslayer. Meanwhile Lee Lightner picked up the Ragnar series with a couple of books that were...extant. I wasn't a huge fan. Nothing that ever topped Demonslayer/Dragonslayer or Wolfblade, respectively.

I personally wasn't a fan of the Long G&F books (they're what left me treating Giantslayer as the end of the series); but I found Lightner's two Space Wolf novels to be ... competent. Definitely didn't reach the level of King's best work, but I did feel that Wolf's Honour managed to provide a conclusion to the series that was at least emotionally satisfying.

Even if Bill King would certainly have done a better job.

Not true at all. The Imperium is decentralized because of their own incompetence and the intrinsic difficulties of managing an empire of that size, not because of any ideological opposition to centralization. This is not a valid argument against charges of fascism.

Not to mention that the evidence of fascism is overwhelming. For example, let's look at some common fascist traits.
  • Rejection of Modernism/Support for Reaction: Fascist ideologies may use the trappings of modernism, such as industrial technology, but they reject the values they associate with modernity such as reason, egalitarianism, democracy, etc. It shouldn't need much explanation of how this applies to the Imperium, technological innovation is extremely heterodoxical at best if not outright heretical. And it's not like social movements are likely treated much better.
  • Irrationalism: Fascists support action for the sake of action, they reject contemplation or intellectualism seeing it as "womanly" and thus weak. It can't be denied that the Imperium supports Irrationalism, "an open mind is like a fortress unbarred" etc.
  • Rejection of Difference: Fascist movements rely on the fear of difference, the outsiders must be kept out if the organic body of society is to remain pure. The Imperium is all about this, from their meme-tastic hatred of aliens to their treatment of mutants they aggressively reject any difference. With the exception of Abhumans and Space Marines, but this does not make them less fascist, hypocrisy is perfectly normal in fascism (see: Hitler allying with the Japanese).
  • Obsession with the Plot: Fascists need to drive the population into a frenzy to justify their constant purges and crackdowns, because of their Rejection of Difference the plot always has an ethnic tinge. For the Imperium this manifests in the form of their paranoia about Chaos, admittedly Chaos is an actual threat but the Imperium undeniably makes it worse by accusing people of heresy at the drop of the hat and making people's lives worse. So I'm counting this as a manufactured threat, a more competent/benign civilization would resist Chaos much more effectively.
There are more common traits of fascism but I think this illustrates the point quite nicely. The Imperium of Man is undeniably fascist, arguing otherwise is incorrect and baffling. There's a reason that they were called the "Cruelest and Bloodiest Regime imaginable", they aren't the heroes and just because the other guy is a monster doesn't make that less true.

That's why I love 'em, they're hideously dark by the standards of a sane universe. But there is a difference between loving them as a character and excusing them, we should never approach the latter.

Fascism has a very specific meaning and the Imperium utterly fails to meet it on account of being a semi-decentralized feudal federation allied with a sovereign power with numerous wholly independent subfactions within it which hold large sections of space with little to no direct oversight. Not only is all its territory structured in a feudal manner with lords and overlords passing taxes up the chain to the Administratum but it doesn't even have a unified economy, let alone a planned one. Which is one of the most important features of Fascism- everything is controlled by the state. The Imperium shares far more with Stalinism than it does Fascism, and even then it's an awful stretch.

(Ironically for all of SB's "le deus vult" memes, the Imperium shares more with the Ottoman Empire considering its usage of slaves and taking children to be raised from youth as the greatest soldiers in the empire. And even having said child soldier caste rebelling multiple times.)

Back