Time to rewrite the story of human origins

I've always thought that modern humanity stems from the convergence of ancient Homo sapiens and Homo neanderthalensis. As in, the Neanderthals didn't exactly die out; it's just that the modern human race is a hybrid of both species.

I've always thought that modern humanity stems from the convergence of ancient Homo sapiens and Homo neanderthalensis. As in, the Neanderthals didn't exactly die out; it's just that the modern human race is a hybrid of both species.
Depends on the human population. Some African populations have little if any neanderthalensis genes.

I understand it's not as clear as it was, because the reference populations used as a metric for "unmixed African" autosomal genes only assumed an absence of admixture. Then we found out there is Neanderthal admixture in some West Africans after all, either from ancient back migrations or from more recent Eurasian colonial presence.

Though in any case there's definitely archaic admixture in sub-Saharan African populations, even very basal KhoiSan hunter-gatherers, just not from Neanderthal.

IIRC, Neanderthal MHC genes got around to practically everyone. After the Toba (or whatever you want to attribute it to) population bottleneck, humans were low on immune system diversity.

Last edited:
There is Neanderthal admixture in modern human genes, but at around 3-4%, you can't really call it hybridization. We are Homo Sapiens; it's just that most our population also got a minimal bit of Neanderthal and Denisovan genes.

It correlates, but weakly (0.2 or so) in humans. The brain does other things besides g.

My favorite go-to example is Eskimos. Largest cranial capacity of any population on Earth, they DO have a higher average IQ than any other amerind group (which, given the 3-phase model, means less than you think). BUT, that's an IQ in the mid-90s. Think about their precontact lifestyle though- reliant on toolmaking (VERY reliant on toolmaking), tracking and targeting, living in small bands. Anecdotally (6 year old girl driving a nail with one swing the first time she holds a hammer. I know, weak evidence, sue me for my DNA laziness.) they have great motor control. I think I can guess what all that extra brain is being used for.

So I think of archaic homo like them precontact, except archaic homo sapiens was probably a little more social.

I don't know much about IQ other than that it supposedly was created by a French Professor for French children. Supposedly, IQ only works as an indicator of intelligence for one specific European subset of people.

I'd also like a source on the average IQ figures.

I remember doing a paper on Neanderthals in collage. But now....

*Tilts knowledge into garbage can*

It does imply that the "frightened Neanderthals constantly ran away from human frontiers until they died out in a corner somehwere" theory that I saw a lot of is far less likely than "We fucked them out of existance" which is perhaps the most Human way of going about interspecies contact that I can imagine.

When you say, "We fucked them out of existence". . . do you mean we reproduced with them or do you mean that we "fucked them over"?

Constructing an Intelligence test that isn't culturally bound is amazingly difficult, even for modern testers. Most early tests didn't even understand it was an issue. For example, Henry Goddard's test to determine if immigrants were feeble-minded, (that is, morons, imbeciles, or idiots with an IQ of 70-51, 50-26, 25-0, respectively) included questions about the rules of American baseball or other details of daily American life. Shockingly, many immigrants didn't know these basic facts about a culture they never before experienced and "failed" the test. /s

Basically, Intelligence tests are only useful for a pretty limited set of conclusions, and guessing the intelligence of early hominids based off of their brain size is not one of them. Personally, I think anthropological cultural indicators are more useful (presence of art, burial practices, variation in tool design, etc.) in guessing how "like us" they were mentally.

This has been your daily tangentially related psychology fact. :V

Nah it will turn out the Moon really is a battleship built by an ancient human empire and all of humanity is descended from its stranded crew.

The Moon is a death machine built by the anti-spirals that will kill humanity when it reaches 10 billion individuals.

We did the sex to them until our genetics merged into one glorious pan ethnic soup that was mostly homo sapiens
well, all we really know is that sexy times happened. It is entirely possible that besides that either simple out-competing or maybe even outright genocide happened (though of course, the former is far more likely than the latter). We just don't know!

Good piece in the Atlantic.
Ancient DNA Is Rewriting Human (and Neanderthal) History

TL/DR new information means all the old theories were wrong, and all oxes will be gored. As should be expected in Science.

This bit was new for me:
Zhang: On the point of immune systems, one of the hypotheses for why people from the steppe were so successful in spreading through Europe is that they brought the bubonic plague with them. Since the plague is endemic to Central Asia, they may have built up immunity but the European farmers they encountered had not.

The obvious parallel is Columbus bringing smallpox and other diseases to the New World, which we think of as this huge, world-changing event. It reminded me that huge migrations replacing previous populations have happened many times before in human history.

Last edited:
Good piece in the Atlantic.
Ancient DNA Is Rewriting Human (and Neanderthal) History

TL/DR new information means all the old theories were wrong, and all oxes will be gored. As should be expected in Science.

This bit was new for me:

Very interesting. Thanks for that. Sounds like there's been a lot more population movement than we needed and sometimes in directions we didn't expect.

With the German group who withdrew because some of the things they were finding sounded a bit like Nazi racial crap it may not have helped that the author behind the research is named Reich.;)

A Cultural Leap at the Dawn of Humanity

Evidence about complex human behavior far earlier than previously expected continues on coming. In this case there's signs of long-distance trade and the use of ocher (raising the possibility of dyes for ritual behavior or communication) from over 300kya, or at the presently established earliest boundary for the existence of Homo sapiens as a distinct species. It's certainly clear there's a major shift in stone tools technology around the time at the site in Kenya, though earthquakes create a big gap in the record that might hide an even earlier transition period.

Surprise! 20 Percent of Neanderthal Genome Lives On in Modern Humans, Scientists Find
https://news.nationalgeographic.com...s-genetics-migration-africa-eurasian-science/

Note, this does NOT mean that individual people have average 20% Neanderthal DNA- that's an easy misreading of the article.

What's really happening is two studies show 20% of the Neanderthal genome is still collectively floating around (ie. sequence A is in person A, different sequence B is in person B, etc) , even though on an individual basis it amounts to 1-4% in people who aren't Nikolai Valuev.

Despite their different approaches, both teams converged on similar results. They both found that genes involved in making keratin—the protein found in our skin, hair, and nails—are especially rich in Neanderthal DNA.

For example, the Neanderthal version of the skin gene POU2F3 is found in around 66 percent of East Asians, while the Neanderthal version of BNC2, which affects skin color, among other traits, is found in 70 percent of Europeans.

Sankararaman also found Neanderthal variants in genes that affect the risk of several diseases, including lupus, biliary cirrhosis, Crohn's disease, and type 2 diabetes. The significance of these sequences is "even less clear."
While genes having to do with reproduction and language consistently didn't make the cut.

Last edited:
The similarity between neanderthal and modern human DNA makes exact determination difficult - some consider that europeans are actually majority neanderthal - if humans share so much DNA with a goddamn banana then the neanderthal admixture is pretty much fractions of fractions already, determined from a couple of genes that are actually different

Also, if something is found that sounds a bit like "nazi racial crap" it doesn't mean that it's automatically untrue (but the eternal westerner has the problem that the instant someone fucks up, every single thing they ever did is considered bad, regardless if it's objectively right or wrong)

Last edited:
Article:
Finger bone found in Saudi Arabia upends story of human migration out of Africa

Recent discoveries poke holes in the theory that modern humans left their home continent about 60,000 years ago and stayed near the coasts as they spread out across the world

The object in question is a fossilised piece of a bone, probably the middle portion of a middle finger. Based on its shape, scientists believe that it belonged to a member of the Homo sapiens species.
Two things make it unusually significant.

First, uranium series dating techniques indicate that the bone is between 85,000 and 90,000 years old.

Second, it was found in Al Wusta, a site in Saudi Arabia's Nafud desert that is hundreds of miles from the nearest coastline.
Those factors stand in sharp contrast to the traditional "out of Africa" narrative of human migration.

[cont. reading]

Article:
Finger bone found in Saudi Arabia upends story of human migration out of Africa

Recent discoveries poke holes in the theory that modern humans left their home continent about 60,000 years ago and stayed near the coasts as they spread out across the world

The object in question is a fossilised piece of a bone, probably the middle portion of a middle finger. Based on its shape, scientists believe that it belonged to a member of the Homo sapiens species.
Two things make it unusually significant.

First, uranium series dating techniques indicate that the bone is between 85,000 and 90,000 years old.

Second, it was found in Al Wusta, a site in Saudi Arabia's Nafud desert that is hundreds of miles from the nearest coastline.
Those factors stand in sharp contrast to the traditional "out of Africa" narrative of human migration.

[cont. reading]

Interesting. That does throw a lot of established ideas and dates into doubt. Not sure why that finger is the only one to be so thoroughly tested but some of those other suggested finds, especially the much earlier American one, chunk most of the current road plan for human development out of the window if they prove to be accurate. Thanks.

Tools from China are oldest hint of human lineage outside Africa

So scientists in the PRC have pretty robust evidence that hominins were occupying a site in the great Loess Plateau around 2.1 million years ago. No fossils thus far, though I expect the site is probably going to become a priority. It's not clear if the hominins were homo erectus, homo habilis, or something even more primitive. But it's definitely yet another twist in the evolutionary history of mankind with all kinds of potential implications.

Since I got my mind jogged by this because of another thread, so have a year in review thing for 2018 covering some of the bigger discoveries of this year in terms of Human Origins. Number six will shock you etc etc. Really #3 and #5 are the most interesting ones that didn't blow up across the planet when they happened.

Article:
...What does it mean to be human? What makes us unique among all other organisms on Earth? Is it cooperation? Conflict? Creativity? Cognition? There happens to be one anatomical feature that distinguishes modern humans (Homo sapiens) from every other living and extinct animal: our bony chin! But does a feature of our jaws have actual meaning for our humanity? We want to talk about the top six discoveries of 2018, all from the last 500,000 years of human evolution, that give us more insight into what it means to be human. If you want to learn more about our favorite discoveries from last year, read our 2017 blog post!...

1) Migrating modern humans: the oldest modern human fossil found outside of Africa

2) Innovating modern humans: long-distance trade, the use of color, and the oldest Middle Stone Age tools in Africa

3) Art-making Neanderthals: our close evolutionary cousins actually created the oldest known cave paintings

4) Trekking modern humans: the oldest modern human footprints in North America

5) Winter-stressed, nursing Neanderthals: Neanderthal children's teeth reveal intimate details of their daily lives

6) Hybridizing hominins: the first discovery of an ancient human hybrid

Honestly of these, #3 is like yet more evidence that behavioral modernity isn't something exclusive to AMH Humans (IMO it's looking like it's. a basic feature of the genus,) and is pretty easy to date compared to say, hand tools. So like Rising Star Cave, it's pretty definitive.

Number five is actually the most interesting to me, since it's actually providing a lot of detail about food security and overall health of Neanderthal communities, ranging from dietary stress and weaning age to lead levels from either contaminated food and water or firewood. It's actually a really interesting read if you have access to the actual study.

So it's time for the American Association of Physical Anthropologists annual meeting round-up apparently.
Because we got some big, and only somewhat controversial, Denisovan news.

Article:
The first known fossil of a Denisovan skull has been found in a Siberian cave
CLEVELAND — A palm-sized section of a braincase is the first Denisovan skull fossil ever found.

Discovered in two pieces in Siberia's Denisova Cave in August 2016, the find joins only a handful of fragmentary fossils from these mysterious, extinct hominids. Mitochondrial DNA, a type of genetic material typically inherited from the mother, extracted from the skull pegged it as Denisovan, paleoanthropologist Bence Viola said March 28 at the annual meeting of the American Association of Physical Anthropologists.
Viola, of the University of Toronto, and his colleagues compared a digital reconstruction of the skull fragment with corresponding parts of 112 present-day human skulls and 30 Stone Age Homo skulls, including Homo sapiens and Neandertals. The Denisovan find didn't fit neatly into any previously known Homo species. Some features linked the Denisovan fossil to Neandertals and to a 430,000-year-old Spanish Homo species that had Denisovan ancestry (SN: 12/28/13, p. 8). The Denisovan skull fragment is surprisingly thick, more like cranial bones of Stone Age Homo erectus, Viola said.

And now the controversial bit:
Article:
Our mysterious cousins—the Denisovans—may have mated with modern humans as recently as 15,000 years ago
CLEVELAND, OHIO—The elusive Denisovans, the extinct cousins of Neanderthals, are known from only the scraps of bone they left in Siberia's Denisova Cave in Russia and the genetic legacy they bequeathed to living people across Asia. A new study of that legacy in people from New Guinea now suggests that, far from being a single group, these mysterious humans were so diverse that their populations were as distantly related to each other as they were to Neanderthals.

In another startling suggestion, the study implies one of those groups may have survived and encountered modern humans as recently as 15,000 to 30,000 years ago, tens of thousands of years later than researchers had thought. "A late surviving lineage [of Denisovans] could have interbred with Homo sapiens" in Southeast Asia, paleoanthropologist Chris Stringer of the Natural History Museum in London, not a member of the team, said in a Skype interview during a session at the annual meeting of the American Association of Physical Anthropologists here. The new study was presented Thursday at the meeting.

It's worth noting that representatives from the Max Planck Institute were skeptical of this, and the one interviewed did have an off the cuff counter-explanation. That said, 15kya is very recent, but I'd still take it at face value since you wouldn't half-ass a test if you were going to present at a major conference.

God, we should really make an actual mega thread for this.

But, it's that time of year again, and there's another cool groundbreaking discovery:
Article:
...Using one such new technique, first in 2016 and then again in a preprint posted earlier this summer, Siepel and his team found that around 3% of Neanderthal DNA — and possibly as much as 6% — came from modern humans who mated with the Neanderthals more than 200,000 years ago. The same group who gave rise to modern humans throughout the world also furnished Neanderthals with (at least a little) more DNA than the Neanderthals would later give them. "You think you're just looking at a Neanderthal," Siepel said, "but you're actually looking at a mixture of Neanderthal and modern human."

"That's cool," Hawks said. Such a high level of genetic admixture, he added, "is like saying 6% of the cars on the road that you see are red, but somehow you never noticed any red cars. You ought to notice that." And yet the methods in general use had not. To Hawks, the omission suggests that there may be a lot more shared genetic material still to find even if it can't yet be quantified accurately. More advanced techniques may change that....

...What is curious is that the only migration that seems to have left modern human descendants in Europe and Asia was the one from 60,000 years ago. The groups that migrated earlier apparently all died out or got absorbed into Neanderthal or other ancient populations. "If there were earlier events," Scally said, "they left essentially no ancestry or negligible ancestry in us today."...

tl;dr: there's been some sequences in the Neanderthal genome that apparently come from a ~210 KYA interbreeding event with some now extinct AMH population, and this is not the only time we've seen genetic evidence of this, like the mystery population that contributed to the Denisovan genome, or that time a mating event led to the replacement of Neanderthal MtDNA with kinda-AMH MtDNA (which was actually mentioned here.) These two events with Neanderthals are maybe related given the close timeframe, or merely continuing interaction from the same contributing population, which makes the whole thing cooler.

In other words, we advanced our way into stupidity. Ain't evolution fun?
Replying to old post, but...

It has been noted that domestication means "to bring inside ones home".
Wheat (etc) is said to be domesticated by man, but would it not be more accurate to say wheat has domesticated man? Who has profited more from the partnership? Who has been more genetically successful?

Also, to continue the occasional xenogenesis derail meme.
Life on Earth traces its origin from yeast cells left over from the fall of an interstellar empire and as such shares a mostly common origin with most of the carbon based life in the galaxy.

Humanity on Earth traces their origin to a species that evolved closer to the galactic core, from which several groups tried to flee the constant warfare of to secure their future, but the group that headed to earth found the local geology did not support the agriculture they needed to feed their thinking caste so they died out leaving the nonsentient breeders behind, after the thinkers wiped out the local hominids. The breeders then evolved to become more intelligent and eventually developed technology.

Pak, from Known space by Niven.

Back