The World Turned Upside Down: A U.S. 2016-2020 politics timeline

Temporary Suspension - Variable Length - You've been warned about this.
Dear Aaron Fox,

Stop jerking yourself off over mass murder.

Sincerely,

All Decent Folk.​
Given that a significant portion of the GOP have gone suicidal-tribal and would likely slice their own noses off to simply spite everyone outside their bubble? At this point they have to be removed from economic and political power by any means necessary.
There's a difference between "ruthless politics that leave many people in the citizenry in bad situations, and destroy many political careers" and "a bloody purge that saw over half a million people shot".
Problem, as long as they exist as an economic and political entity, we'll be coming back to this sort of scenario again and again... if not continuously get worse as tech evolves.

Given that a significant portion of the GOP have gone suicidal-tribal and would likely slice their own noses off to simply spite everyone outside their bubble? At this point they have to be removed from economic and political power by any means necessary.

Problem, as long as they exist as an economic and political entity, we'll be coming back to this sort of scenario again and again... if not continuously get worse as tech evolves.

I feel like advocating a French-Revolution style reign of terror against people who disagree with you politically violates some kind of site rule.

So just so I am sure about what you're saying, you are stating that it is 100% acceptable, in real life, to advocate for a course of action that would see thousands, tens, hundreds of thousands, perhaps even millions of people imprisoned without trial and/or summarily executed, alongside their families most likely, because you find their politics disagreeable and potentially harmful to our nation's current state?

I'm putting it that bluntly because I'm frankly hoping I'm wrong, and I'm wanting you to clarify you're not advocating violent actions in that manner.

I feel like advocating a French-Revolution style reign of terror against people who disagree with you politically violates some kind of site rule.
Quite. I'm pretty sure that even advocating a French-Revolution style reign of terror in self-defence is pushing it, in fact. Which would be a defensible position to take in-story if you're not white enough to get invited to a cross-burning.

Have to give credit to Aaron Fox.

From this side of the Atlantic it looks like the downward spiral of the USA did change gears and is accelerating.
Seems like the US will in 30 years join the long list of of former dominant nations/empires such as the British Empire, Romans, HRE, Quing, Mongols and many more.
The US just were the first acting on a truly global scale.

Seems the Great Powers model is on the rise again.

Maybe we can have an in depth epilogue, describing an overview of how things changed. How Romney dies, the ultimate fate of the rethuglican party

As you may have guessed, I burned out a bit finishing this timeline a few months ago. The end of it was frankly very rushed as a result and I'm not really satisfied with it in retrospect. I think Part 4 through say Part 5.21 are the sections I thought were best-written; part 1/2 of the timeline suffered from not having sufficient time to diverge from reality, and so a lot of it was rehashing small differences from OTL with insufficient capacity for creativity.

Anyways, I'm in the hospital right now [my girlfriend had surgery today] so a bit occupied, but will probably put up some authors notes and final wikiboxes on the timeline in the weeks ahead.

A lot has happened. Roy Moore got outed as a kiddie fucker, Trump literally sucked up to Putin at Helsinki....hell even Kamela Harris has a death row case haunting her.

A lot has happened. Roy Moore got outed as a kiddie fucker, Trump literally sucked up to Putin at Helsinki....hell even Kamela Harris has a death row case haunting her.

Just to check, thats the guy that made Alabama turn blue right?

Indeed it was. Pedophillia is thankfully one of the few lines that nobody, left or right, will cross.
He got 651,972 votes, 48.3% of the total. Pedophilia is no problem at all for a worryingly large number of people, apparently. Nearly 50% of people would vote for Satan eating a baby on live TV if he ran as a Republican.

Am I getting Moore confused with someone else? Because I'm sure I remember the scandal being that he'd, ahem... had relations with an intern who was a lot younger than him and under his direct authority but still over the age of consent.

Am I getting Moore confused with someone else? Because I'm sure I remember the scandal being that he'd, ahem... had relations with an intern who was a lot younger than him and under his direct authority but still over the age of consent.

That was Bill Clinton. Still bad, but Moore was explicitly found out to be regularly having relations, as you put it, with people well below the age of consent.

You're thinking about the events in this timeline versus the events in our actual reality.

As much as I appreciate the sentiment, this is a work of fiction.

Concluding notes/thoughts
So as you can probably tell, I burnt out a lot more than I expected, and I don't think I'll be doing the promised wiki boxes. Work has also been extremely distracting from this; let's say that I've chosen to prioritize protecting real-world elections above writing about fictional ones, and leave it at that. The story is considered concluded as is, but I wanted to end it with some final thoughts, including what I had planned.

What I had planned for the wiki boxes:

- The Warren/Kaine administration is in power from 2020-2024. One of their first orders of business is to revamp the legislative filibuster into a delaying mechanism that requires actual talking [rather than a complete blocking mechanism.] They obtain the effective assent of the Moderate Party by passing a bill requiring instant voter runoff for election to federal offices.

With the end of the filibuster, the Warren/Kaine administration is able to pass single-payer healthcare, immigration reform, basic income [funded by carbon tax + financial transaction tax], and a number of other leftist agenda items. However, this sparks a backlash of its own, focused around the carbon tax [think yellow jacket protests, except I didn't actually know that was going to happen] and the perceived social engineering of taxing sundries such as fuel and meat. [As it turns out, red meat-conservatives don't like it when you tax their red meat.]

For those curious, Trump's pardon is accepted by the DC court [and the Supreme Court declines to examine the case]; he is never charged with anything, in large part due to the vested interest of all parties in preventing the perception of a witch hunt.

- The 2022 midterm election sees Democrats lose a stunning 60 House seats, barely keeping a majority. Republicans fare even worse, as the implementation of instant runoff turns them into a third party, unable to defeat either Democrats or Moderates in an effective head-to-head competition except in the reddest of districts. The distribution of House seats becomes something like 224 D - 163 M - 51 R, causing a massive slowdown to the implementation of remaining Democratic agenda items. Republicans, meanwhile, continue shifting even further rightward as only members in ultra-conservative districts survive.

- By the 2024 election, Elizabeth Warren chooses not to seek re-election due to a case of inoperable breast cancer. This is a significant loss for the Democratic party, as she remained relatively popular. After competitive primaries, the general election shapes up with Democrats nominating a ticket of Eric Swalwell/Tim Kaine, Moderates nominating Charlie Baker/Tim Kaine, and Republicans nominating Debra Fischer/Ivanka Trump. [Yes, Democrats and Moderates both nominate two white men, while Republicans have the women-only ticket.] After the allocation of Republican votes, the Baker/Kaine ticket is elected President by a 52-48 margin over Swalwell/Kaine, making Tim Kaine the only individual to serve as Vice President for three Presidents of three different parties for three terms.

Some additional notes on my thoughts on the timeline in general:

- I'm rather amused and pleased to note that someone put together a TVTropes for this timeline [link here, if anyone wants to take a look or fill it out more.] Achievement unlocked?

- American politics tends to behave as a pendulum; it's very hard in the modern day and age to receive mandates in *support* of a platform, and so decisive elections happen more in opposition to an existing unpopular President than in support of anything specific. I wanted to write a sketch of an in-universe alternate history timeline ["The World Turned Rightside Up?", to lampshade it] as an in-universe examination on what could have been, if Hillary was elected President instead. It goes something like this:
  • PoD [from Upside Down]: Republicans refuse to confirm Merrick Garland.
  • As a result, faithless elector David Mulinix thinks that the Supreme Court is important enough that he bites the bullet and votes for Hillary. By a 270-268 margin in the electoral college, Hillary Rodham Clinton is elected President.
  • With an opposing Congress who refuses almost anything Hillary does [including confirmation of any judges], President Clinton's agenda is restricted to stymieing the Republican agenda.
  • 2018 is a massive pro-Republican landslide, with them keeping all their Senate incumbents and winning MT, IN, WV, MO, FL, NJ, OH, MI, and WI, gaining a filibuster-proof majority. Similar circumstances occur in the House, gubernatorial elections, and state legislative elections. Although the Supreme Court stops the gerrymander 4-3, this is delayed until 2020 [as in this timeline] where Democrats have their hopes pinned.
  • Unfortunately for Democrats, Hillary is defeated in a landslide election in 2020. Republicans proceed to fill the Supreme Court once more.
  • In 2021, the filled Supreme Court overturns the previous decision stopping the gerrymander, and Republicans immediately redistrict everything to the point where Democrats need to win by a 10% margin to have any hope of winning the House. Further, they implement electoral votes going to the congressional district victor on a selective basis [in competitive states such as MI/OH/WI/PA/MN that they control], making it almost impossible for Democrats to win the presidency.
  • By 2024, the U.S. is essentially no longer a democracy, as Republicans have stacked the deck to the point where it's essentially impossible for a Democrat to win. Republicans win the Presidency despite losing the popular vote by a 45-52 margin. California votes in a referendum to secede from the United States, and a constitutional crisis looms.

- Part of my intent for writing this story was to examine the idea of consequentialism as a moral theory. Was it the right decision for David Mulinix [given his political beliefs and moral views] to throw the election to the House of Representatives and effectively elect Trump? There's indeed a strong argument in-universe that he makes the right decision here. But at the same time, there's the question of "at what cost?" In the single-term Trump presidency, the world has teetered at the brink of nuclear war, and the democratic traditions of the country have been stripped to the bone - things that could easily have resulted in catastrophe. This was going to be lampshaded by a brief piece in which an anonymous writer posts an op-ed praising Mulinix for effectively saving American democracy - and receiving a million comments criticizing it.

But it also highlights a very real question. If I were a Democratic elector in this world's 2016 election, I'd have to think very very hard about which way to vote.

- Part of my intent was also to examine my own understanding of American politics. I like to think that I'm reasonably informed, but obviously everyone's biased and so writing a fictional piece such as this allows oneself to effectively test their predictive capabilities with the caveat that it occurs in a similar-but-different universe [due to the PoD of course.] Overall, I think I've done reasonably - the area I think I was most successful at [that people haven't really mentioned] is the general psychological prediction that Trump tends to say a lot of outrageous things and throw out ridiculous ideas and not actually follow through [which we've seen quite a bit of in-universe.]

I do feel like many readers have vastly overestimated my predictive capability though at least based on the comments of commentators- there's a confirmation bias/data dredging effect in that when you make enough predictions, some of them are going to seem uncannily correct if you discount the incorrect ones [which can easily be blamed on the PoD.] For every VA-Gov [which I got almost on the nose], there's a NJ-Gov [where I was off by about 20% - and probably should have known better given that of these two states, I actually lived in NJ.] And of course, Russia hasn't invaded Ukraine, there's no Turkish civil war in sight, Trump has pushed on tariffs way more than I expected at the start, Congress was less completely ineffectual than I expected, and a host of other items.

- The random number generator also frankly stacked the deck a ton towards Democrats [as I said, sometimes I thought it had an agenda of its own.] I went into this piece not knowing that we'd get Vice President Tim Kaine - that was an accident of the metaphorical dice. I went into this piece expecting the Supreme Court to turn solidly Republican, with a massive source of conflict as the far-right Supreme Court stacks the deck against Democrats on every level possible. Then the RNG decided to have Republicans confirm Merrick Garland and only have conservative justices need replacement. So this is a lot more of a left-wing universe than I was expecting when I went into the piece [a fact which adds additional nuance to the "was this the right decision for David Mulinix" question.]

- For those curious, I did include a minor cameo by myself in the story. MichiganLiberal is my handle on Dailykos [though I haven't lived in Michigan in six years.]

- Overall, this piece was a successful attempt to vent a lot of thoughts I had on the 2016 election. It also served as a reasonably effective exercise in writing. I have a lot of shortcomings as an author - I can't do descriptive writing at all [which is a reflection of the fact that I can't do descriptions at all in real life. Ask me to describe someone's physical features and I wouldn't know where to go beyond the obvious.] This cuts down a lot of what I can write effectively - both of my timelines have used a news article-style format as a result.

In addition, I'm mentally lazy and tend to take shortcuts. This can be most easily seen by my last timeline - Hope, Change, and Nutmeg [which you can find in my signature] - it was reasonably popular and many people liked it, but it was also extremely uncreative/lazy in that it kept rehashing real-world events to a large extent [and of course it mostly stopped after I couldn't do that anymore.] Forcing myself to write about the near future was not just an attempt to vent about 2016 and test my predictive capabilities, but also a way to force myself to actually get creative. Which I think I did reasonably. Part 1 and 2 of this timeline were rather derivative [I like the original parts there], but I'm quite fond of what I did in Part 4 and the first part of Part 5 [by the end, I was getting pretty burnt out.] If you're wondering on the profusion of numbers in the election results, I'm the sort of person who actually likes building a complicated election model and showing it off - I did the same thing in Nutmeg.

Like I said, the timeline is concluded. But let me know if there are any questions I didn't answer here that you'd like to ask. I reserve all rights to refuse to answer though :)

I have to say again, this was an amazing timeline, the best I've ever read. You are an inspiration for me. Thank you for sharing this incredible story.

I will say, it was a hell of a ride. But I can't help but feel there's a loose end. What's the final fate of Russia and the Putin Administration, if you care to share?

focused around the carbon tax [think yellow jacket protests, except I didn't actually know that was going to happen]
Continuing with the running situation of "Seleucus sort of predicts OTL". (sidenote: I briefly thought a few times you'd predict Menendez in the brief period where he got bad polling, I guess we can say Nelson filled the part ;))

Democrats nominating a ticket of Eric Swalwell/Tim Kaine, Moderates nominating Charlie Baker/Tim Kaine, and Republicans nominating Debra Fischer/Ivanka Trump.
Wait, Kaine is nominated on 2 tickets?

The World Turned Rightside Up?
Sounds scary in a way that would be cool to read.

Consequentialism debate
I sort of lean towards him being in the wrong. Like, the TL ends well overall (in a sense of "positive outcome for the world") but the institutional and democratic decay of the Trump presidency is still there and can be dangerous for the next decades. Like, what happens if the Moderates turn more toward relying on the GOP to pass right wing economic policy and the GOP asks for discriminatory policy as the "price" for their support? what if a GOP presidential nominee ends up winning? What if we end with a string of elections that end with Dems winning a clear plurality but losing runoffs narrowly (ex: D 48 - R 26.1 - M 25.9 that goes R 50.01-49.99 D)? or, to go on a meta-level, what if we had a far less lenient RNG?

In other words, I think the risks of the scenario, even when things went so well, are still too high for the choice to be good.

With all that said, thank you for making such a fun timeline to read. I wish you luck in any future project.

I will say, it was a hell of a ride. But I can't help but feel there's a loose end. What's the final fate of Russia and the Putin Administration, if you care to share?
Amid growing protests in Russia in the early/mid 2020s, Putin dies of natural causes. A quiet behind-the-scenes power struggle ensues, resulting in the eventual advent of the Second Russian Republic.

Continuing with the running situation of "Seleucus sort of predicts OTL". (sidenote: I briefly thought a few times you'd predict Menendez in the brief period where he got bad polling, I guess we can say Nelson filled the part ;))
I was not expecting Nelson to lose. I was going mostly off of fundamentals for my election results, and Nelson massively underperformed those. Also, IOTL, Trump has been doing much better in Florida polling than you'd expect just from 2016 election results.

Wait, Kaine is nominated on 2 tickets?

Yep - he's basically became an institution by that point, the only crux of stability over the tumultuous decade. Cue jokes about Kaine debating himself in the 2024 vice presidential debates.

I sort of lean towards him being in the wrong. Like, the TL ends well overall (in a sense of "positive outcome for the world") but the institutional and democratic decay of the Trump presidency is still there and can be dangerous for the next decades. Like, what happens if the Moderates turn more toward relying on the GOP to pass right wing economic policy and the GOP asks for discriminatory policy as the "price" for their support? what if a GOP presidential nominee ends up winning? What if we end with a string of elections that end with Dems winning a clear plurality but losing runoffs narrowly (ex: D 48 - R 26.1 - M 25.9 that goes R 50.01-49.99 D)? or, to go on a meta-level, what if we had a far less lenient RNG?

In other words, I think the risks of the scenario, even when things went so well, are still too high for the choice to be good.

With all that said, thank you for making such a fun timeline to read. I wish you luck in any future project.
There's definitely an argument for that. But at the end of the day, it's an open question as well - especially when contrasted with the hypothetical "World Turned Rightside Up" [which would be a fun meta exercise if I hadn't burnt out - TL within a TL.]

Last edited:
Back