The Voyage Within

My best guess is it's a semi-arbitrary time on needing to keep running from the Vidiians
The Borg undoubtedly have a rough idea where the dead cube is and it is likely they will send a cube to reclaim the scrap at some point. Nobody has any idea on the timeline or likelihood of that, but putting some limit in place makes sense.

Hopefully not a silly question, but do Borg assimilate Vidiians?
(Do Borg nanoprobes fix their issues, if so...)

Would a crazy idea be the Vidiian problem comes from an attempt to vaccinate against Borg nanoprobes???

Last edited:
The Borg undoubtedly have a rough idea where the dead cube is and it is likely they will send a cube to reclaim the scrap at some point. Nobody has any idea on the timeline or likelihood of that, but putting some limit in place makes sense.
I can't imagine any way of estimating a timeline on that that could make 2 hours sensible. The timeline for the cube being dead has to be more than one order of magnitude longer than that (otherwise it wouldn't be cooled down, and would be inside an apocalyptic space lightning storm if the running hypothesis for why it's dead is correct). Hanging around it forever would be dumb, but fleeing in exactly 2 hours for fear of the borg without more signs than they have would be dumber.

Last edited:
"Loot everything that isn't nailed down. If you can pry it off the floor it's not nailed down anymore is it?"

I would expect more caution with potential Borg nanoprobes but I guess that's a problem that doesn't have many real solutions, if just looting stuff was a problem then beaming into the cube in the first place was a mistake.

edit: They don't beam in this continuity, so I guess 'boarding the cube' as opposed to beaming into the cube?
I know borg nanotechnology is basically magic, but irl basically no nanotech more complex than carbon nanotubes would have survived the current required to fry this whole ship and everything living in it, not without being stored in some heavily shielded area at any rate

Hopefully not a silly question, but do Borg assimilate Vidiians?
(Do Borg nanoprobes fix their issues, if so...)

Would a crazy idea be the Vidiian problem comes from an attempt to vaccinate against Borg nanoprobes???
I don't remember the details of what ails the Vidiians, but I think the nanoprobes would solve the symptoms but not the cause of the disease. Having said that, from a Borg perspective the Vidiians would be a massive resource sink to keep a Vidiian drone, and so I don't think they would bother. It would count as a defective drone and the Borg could use those resources elsewhere to better effect.

Having said that, from a Borg perspective the Vidiians would be a massive resource sink to keep a Vidiian drone, and so I don't think they would bother. It would count as a defective drone and the Borg could use those resources elsewhere to better effect
The Vidiians have a couple or three advanced tech areas, at least one of which the Borg have no use for. Their "medical transporter guns" could be used by the Borg to deliver Borg nano and implants directly to potential future Borg drones without the need to get into me!ee range. If I were running the Borg I'd grab that tech, then lose all interest in them.

The Vidiians have a couple or three advanced tech areas, at least one of which the Borg have no use for. Their "medical transporter guns" could be used by the Borg to deliver Borg nano and implants directly to potential future Borg drones without the need to get into me!ee range. If I were running the Borg I'd grab that tech, then lose all interest in them.
Seeing as the Federation etc. don't have Transporters, do the Vidiians have those guns, or are they using an alternative tech? I'm guessing the Borg don't have Transporters (I think if they did it'd have been clearer, in-story).

Seeing as the Federation etc. don't have Transporters, do the Vidiians have those guns, or are they using an alternative tech? I'm guessing the Borg don't have Transporters (I think if they did it'd have been clearer, in-story).
Oh, good point. I forgot about that bit, although frankly I would put Borg on a level approaching the anomalous powers / supertech lost civilizations and I'd expect them to have transporters even if the current mainline civilizations don't. I mean, Q doesn't take a shuttle like some sort of pleb, surely? :p

I know borg nanotechnology is basically magic, but irl basically no nanotech more complex than carbon nanotubes would have survived the current required to fry this whole ship and everything living in it, not without being stored in some heavily shielded area at any rate
Actually, thing about electrical current is it's extremely easy to shield even by accident. A highly conductive path from in to out that doesn't run through your vitals basically does it so long as the conductor doesn't vaporize before the dischange ends. it's hard to imagine how an electrical discharge could have killed everyone inside the spaceship while leaving the spaceship structurally intact, TBH, unless they build these ships with non-conductive structural and hull materials.

(And any secondary effects from magnetic fields off the main current would be largely blocked by a spaceship being a large collection of Faraday cages.)

Of course, Borg nanotechnology is indeed basically magic, so this is honestly not relevant to disabling it.
I don't remember the details of what ails the Vidiians, but I think the nanoprobes would solve the symptoms but not the cause of the disease. Having said that, from a Borg perspective the Vidiians would be a massive resource sink to keep a Vidiian drone, and so I don't think they would bother. It would count as a defective drone and the Borg could use those resources elsewhere to better effect.
I'd expect Borg nanoprobes to eat almost any biological attack nearly as effectively as Zephyr's immune system, but IDK what the canon on Borg vs. organic disease is.

Actually, thing about electrical current is it's extremely easy to shield even by accident. A highly conductive path from in to out that doesn't run through your vitals basically does it so long as the conductor doesn't vaporize before the dischange ends. it's hard to imagine how an electrical discharge could have killed everyone inside the spaceship while leaving the spaceship structurally intact, TBH, unless they build these ships with non-conductive structural and hull materials.
Luckily, it wasn't an electrical surge. It was ions from a pulsar, which caused the tech to self-fry. The tech frying itself is what caused the electrical issues.

I thought it was a nebulae grounding into the borg cube and then the cube arcing everywhere internally?
I'm not an electrician tho so idk

I think the idea is when the electrical arc is the size of a planet, insulation no longer matters.
The thing is that the defense against high-energy electrical discharge isn't insulation, it's the opposite. You make sure that it can ground through you without hurting you.

Most modern vehicles get close to this without trying by way of their conductive metal structure.

It's space. There's nowhere to ground to. Or rather, the borg cube was the ground.
Ah, but there's your problem: you were right the first time, there's no ground. The cube isn't ground. It's microscopic compared to the discharge.

Instead of thinking about charge going to ground, (which I've always found weird as someone more on the side of physics than electrician work) this is more of a capacitor breakdown: there are two charged areas (regions of the nebular material) and a current happens violently neutralizing them. The borg cube isn't a player in this event, it's a speck of dust that happens to be in the arc.

This is a bit similar to how aircraft are struck by lightning - which they are, quite a lot - but with a bit of care to the design they're generally unharmed (purportedly approaching 60 years since the last commercial plane downed by lightning). The lightning strikes through the plane, not to it, and is handily routed through conductive skin elements to be on its way. Except the Borg cube is much smaller proportional to a nebular storm than an airliner to an Earth storm.

(You could conceivably have a discharge from a charged cloud to the Borg cube, but it would be weak and most likely thwarted by their defenses, since it just doesn't take that big a charge transfer to change the electrical potential of the cube. That's not the kind of thing that explains a dead borg cube.)

Quick question is he a dragon as in Fate type/magic type dragon or just boring flying lizard ?
wanted to start reading this but i kind of don't want to read about a normal lizard in trek...

Induction heating, maybe. You might have a path for the discharge but the resulting magnetics are going to be wild.
Might be wise not to forget subspace? We don't know how massive electrical discharges might interact with that - basically a matter of author judgement?

Quick question is he a dragon as in Fate type/magic type dragon or just boring flying lizard ?
wanted to start reading this but i kind of don't want to read about a normal lizard in trek...
The TK levitation ability (providing a flight assist), and the fire breath might suggest not being boring?

Last edited:
Thanks i came from the first thread and didn't want to commit if it was just a European Dragon cause i find a little boring but if not i just got myself a good amount of good reading ^^

He is a psychic flying lizard, of the classic Star Trek "it isn't magic, it is psionics" type. Psychic gravity-manipulation abilities linked to his wings to allow flight, and psychic pyrokinesis linked to his throat and mouth to allow flames. Though he has only managed flames once, AFAIK, and doesn't know how to do it again. As per all Star Trek psychics, he doesn't really have the ability to expand his powers; he has what he has, and can learn to use it better, but won't gain new abilities. Perhaps he can warp his gravity-negating power to allow limited telekinesis by using gravity? Considering that his claws aren't dexterous enough for fine manipulation and are too strong for most lighter materials something like that would be basically required for the high-technology we have found.

Last edited:
Though he has only managed flames once
Might want to re-read the camping-while-repairs episodes? Didn't he light fires with his breath weapon? I think he's got a bit of a handle on it, but...

I'm moderately convinced he's using unconscious TK to avoid accidentally squashing people, he suddenly meets turning corners. Maybe to aid micro-gravity movement. Possibly to improve his manual dexterity? Otherwise he'd be using the hands on those drones a lot, lot, more.

For a 'fantasy dragon' he's doing a pretty impressive job of being a Starfleet Engineer...

Back