The Shadowrun Thread! For All Your Shadowrun Needs!

torrmercury

Necromancer
Pronouns
He/Him
Sooooooooooooo there's no thread on Shadowrun, arguable the most influential sci-fi franchise in the world, so I decided to make one! This will be the place to talk about all things Shadowrun, from the tabletop games to the new PC games and what have you.

To kick this off: HOLY SHIT SHADOWRUN: HONG KONG JUST LAUNCHED THEIR KICKSTARTER NOT EVEN A DAY AGO AND ITS ALREADY FUNDED!

Kickstarter link here if anyone is interested.

I've never played Shadowrun before I bought both Returns and Dragonfall during the Steam sale. Someone call for help, I can't stop playing them. Returns was great, but I'm currently in the middle of Bloodline in Dragonfall and it's much better in my professional opinion.

Except James, from Trial Run, he can go to hell.

Are you a game designer? :o If you are we should totally talk design (but not here unless we're talking Shadowrun of course). :D

Dragonfall is objectively better mainly because they took all the criticism given to them from Returns/Dead Man's Switch and used it to craft Dragonfall. They're doing the same with Hong Kong so that will be even better I hope!

Shadowrun Storytime, an extremely well-written recounting of a Shadowrun campaign on /tg/, has just finished, with an appropriately epic finale involving a firefight across downtown Portland and encounters with five different Great Dragons. It's a pretty good read, and the author took the time to write a good epilogue as well.

I picked up Dragonfall during the Steam sale, good fun. Definitely going to buy Hong Kong at some point. Not sure if I'll buy it on release or wait for a sale, though. As a penniless teenager I kinda like to stretch my game money out as much as I can.

So, out of curiosity, when you guys first played, what were your incredibly ill advised choices in regard to multiclassing? With me I think I tried to go rifleman, rigger, and mage, and ended up mostly using my assault rifle, getting some limited use out of my drones, and never using spell casting.

So, out of curiosity, when you guys first played, what were your incredibly ill advised choices in regard to multiclassing? With me I think I tried to go rifleman, rigger, and mage, and ended up mostly using my assault rifle, getting some limited use out of my drones, and never using spell casting.
My first playthrough (Returns, not Dragonfall) was as a Hacker/Pistol-wielder/Rigger. I started off as pure hacker, realized that I was going to end up in lots of firefights where there was nothing to deck, and quickly put a bunch of points into Quickness, Dodge, and Pistols, then realized that an easier option was to put my sizable intelligence to use commanding drones. And then I realized that that didn't work out so hot either, because there was no way to get enough inventory slots to carry my cyberdeck and my gun and two drones at the same time. Still, one drone is pretty good firepower, and there are some good Samurai for hire, so once I leveled up enough I didn't feel outmatched. Except for that one firefight in the cemetery...

Shadowrun Storytime, an extremely well-written recounting of a Shadowrun campaign on /tg/, has just finished, with an appropriately epic finale involving a firefight across downtown Portland and encounters with five different Great Dragons. It's a pretty good read, and the author took the time to write a good epilogue as well.
I'll definitely take a read soon since that sounds absolutely ridiculous. :o

I picked up Dragonfall during the Steam sale, good fun. Definitely going to buy Hong Kong at some point. Not sure if I'll buy it on release or wait for a sale, though. As a penniless teenager I kinda like to stretch my game money out as much as I can.

My first character was a Rigger/Decker for the shits and giggles, even though my tabletop Shadowrun knowledge told me that was a terrible idea. I ran with it for 2 missions before I gave up and rerolled. xD

I been doin this table top. Shadowrun is one of my favorite settings and has some interesting rules, but it gets extremely byzantine. Iunno, dice systems where you add more dice always seem to be more complicated then systems that anchor themselves on one kind of dice for most things.

I might be biased since I grew up playing World of Darkness and such, but I like dice pool systems. :p

Shadowrun's draw for me though, is not so much the mechanics, but the absolutely amazing setting and the amount of love injected into it. It is one of the most influential sci-fi settings for a reason after all.

I've been playing a pure assault rifle Street Samurai in Dragonfall. This looks very interesting and I'll probably get it on Steam, but only on a 75% sale, since I still have a major game backlog.

My major complaint about Shadowrun is that you can clearly spot the IRL areas where Shadowrun is popular - the USA and Germany - by the way they suffer Protagonist Syndrome, that being 'split up into lots and lots of rivalling constituencies'.

The ADL/AGS makes no bloody sense :(

I have been working on the Idea of Shadowrun/ Mass effect crossover type fusion, but I run into problem of Corporations, for the idea to work I need System Alliance as the human government. Current idea of Corporations losing power in back story is "Shadowfall" free for all between various Corporationss and alliance runners trying to cling for their own lives, triggered by gigantic leaks of Corporate info and few well placed assassinations, which ended in nation states establishing precursor to System Alliance and decimation of Corporations and Runners. I am just not to sure on the believability of this.

You could just have the Corporate Court take on the role of the Systems Alliance- it's not obvious in the games themselves, but the Codex spells out quite explicitly that the Systems Alliance doesn't actually have authority over the nations of earth, instead being mainly space-based IIRC.

The trickier thing to do is handle the fact that magic stops working so well quite quickly as you head away from Earth.

I think that whatever you go with, you shouldn't completely get rid of megacorps. They're an important part of the Shadowrun setting. For example, you could do something like NGOG, where the SA has control over the main human territories but beyond that Megacorps continue to do megacorpy things.

My major complaint about Shadowrun is that you can clearly spot the IRL areas where Shadowrun is popular - the USA and Germany - by the way they suffer Protagonist Syndrome, that being 'split up into lots and lots of rivalling constituencies'.
This. I would give a lot for more lore about the Middle East, India, and China.

This. I would give a lot for more lore about the Middle East, India, and China.
As would I, considering I'm of mostly Asian (Chinese) descent. I am absolutely stoked that SR: HK got funded so readily though, so the hope that we get more info on the Far East got a lot brighter. :)

Now if only they'd do the Middle East, India, and Africa...

Oddly enough, South America gets a lot of screen time in SR, though I don't imagine it's extremely popular there.

The ADL/AGS makes no bloody sense :(
Do what I do!

Blame Lofwyr!
Or Elves!
Or Elves working with Lofwyr!
Or another Dragon!
Or the Japanacorps!
Or maybe the German AA Corps!
Or possibly Harlequin. Wait, is blaming Harlequin a subset if you've already blamed Elves? Eh, whatever, screw him twice!
Oh, or Dunkelzahn's Plotting.
Maybe insect spirits. Or zombie spirits. Or toxics. Or undead zombie toxic insect spirits.

Also, holy hell, they upgraded Dragonfall? Damn, son, now I've got to go find/buy the upgrade DLC and replay to see how it changes. Saaaad. But not really. Perhaps this time, I will manage to hug the depression out of Glory the Razor Medic.

What, she needs hugs.

Also, eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, a third game? Glee and gumdrops!

Bit belated, but what the hell: I rolled Shaman. Just about pure shaman. Back in returns. Worked pretty well, honestly, and powerful spirits are hilarious to play with.

Think I got gibbed halfway through, went 'huh', rerolled a Street Samurai, grabbed shotguns, then spent most of the game kneecapping everything that moved and screaming obscenities when I got to investigating Certain Locations in the later half of the game and discovered my automatic combat shotgun /did not have enough dakka/.

I was distraught to find that out.

Also, holy hell, they upgraded Dragonfall? Damn, son, now I've got to go find/buy the upgrade DLC and replay to see how it changes. Saaaad. But not really. Perhaps this time, I will manage to hug the depression out of Glory the Razor Medic.
I think Director's cut is free if you bought the Dragonfall DLC through steam.

I managed to hug the depression out of her, and I hear that in Director's cut it's possible for her to get redeemed and get healing spells.

Back