For your Streaming/Patreon/Original Fiction Needs
So, to make sure everyone knows (and though I know it might be a bit annoying to have it always present) I'm sticky-ing this post with...pretty much all the info. If the sticky-situation annoys folks, I'll get around to removing it after a week circa. By that time, everyone who might have missed any of the 'info' will have been filled in, and the new recruits-ahem, cultist-ahem, readers will eventually learn it through osmosis.

Streaming:

Offer me a coffee or something:

Patreon:
Patreon
Ko-Fi:
Ko-Fi

Original Fiction Links:
Amazon.
www.amazon.com

Alberto Catellani: books, biography, latest update

Follow Alberto Catellani and explore their bibliography from Amazon.com's Alberto Catellani Author Page.
Smashwords.
www.smashwords.com

Alberto Catellani

Draft2Digital (multiple book libraries)

Find me on Discord:

Unisciti al server di Discord Shadenight123Chat!

Dai un'occhiata alla community di Shadenight123Chat su Discord: spassatela con altri 165 membri e goditi la chat vocale e testuale gratuita.
Twitter:
Facebook:
www.facebook.com

Shadenight123

Shadenight123. 74 likes. Shadenight123 facebook page, because why the hell not.

Last edited:
I kinda want to see shade in ff7 again this time with A female sephiroth yandere for father shade and mother jenovah

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Shadow Part Two [SWJ:FO/SI]
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Shadow Part Two [SWJ:FO/SI]

Cal's breathing was erratic. He was standing, a Jedi fugitive, in line together with the other workers from the train. In front of them were troopers of the Empire, their normally white armor a pitch-black color with crimson highlights, wielding blaster rifles that appeared to have been heavily modified.

What worried him more were the two figures that seemed to be walking back and forth. One was smaller than the other, but both were female and, he knew, Inquisitors.

Jedi Hunters.

"We are looking for a Jedi," the smaller Inquisitor spoke. "He, or She, has nothing to worry about. It is the will of the Emperor that all Jedi be taken in, to be safely taught the true will of the Force and find new purpose in service of the Emperor. It is a great honor," the woman continued, her voice altered through her helmet. "One only fools would refuse."

None of the workers in the line said anything, but Cal wondered how they had found him. He had used the Force, and it had been picked up? Had someone seen what he had done, and notified the authorities? Were those who had done such a thing in line, just waiting for the right moment to turn him in?

"Thus, if you are the Jedi we are looking for, or a surviving Padawan, you need hide no longer, you need fear the Empire no longer. You will be taken care of," the Inquisitor continued, trying to put kindness into her voice. It had to be a ploy; he remembered his master's death. "Just step forward."

He remembered there had been no kindness there. There had been no mercy.

The only 'taken care of' that the Empire did to the Jedi was death.

And he saw Prauf step forward.

He held his breath, willed his heart to not beat too fast, felt the Force around him and watched as one of the two Inquisitors, the bigger one, began to move behind the line of workers standing at attention.

"Listen lady," Prauf spoke, trying to sound brave even though Cal knew he was scared. "I think I'm talking for everyone here when I say that we're all engineers for the Scrapper Guild, but none of us are Jedi. If any were, that would make life a hell of a lot easier on all of us," he tried to chuckle, though nervously. "We're loyal to the Empire, and if there was a Jedi, we'd be the first to report it."

There were a few nods of agreement in the line.

"I see," the small Inquisitor nodded, before pulling out what appeared to be an old photo from one of the pockets of her uniforms. She lifted it up, and seemed to compare it to what was in front of her. "You were saved by the Jedi."

Prauf took a step back, "What? I-No of course-"

"He knows where the Jedi is," the bigger Inquisitor spoke from behind Cal. He nearly whirled around, lightsaber ignited, but didn't. He tried to keep himself calm. How was she sensing his turmoil? Wait, was she actually doing that?

He had to be calm. He had to clear his mind. He had to-

He was afraid.

Fear was natural, but it was not meant to define a Jedi.

Good thing he wasn't a Jedi any longer, just a Scrapper, trying to reach the end of the day.

"You think you are doing them a favor," the smaller Inquisitor spoke, still trying to be gentle. "You think you are protecting them, but in truth, you are hampering their growth," the woman kept talking, "You are holding him back from realizing his true destiny-you are shielding him from the outside world..." her voice turned thoughtful, "Yes...I sense it."

"I do too," the bigger Inquisitor mulled, still behind Cal. "The worry, the fear, the desire to see them leave this planet and go elsewhere..."

Cal felt the large hand coming down on his shoulder.

He felt it, and thus this time he reacted.

He spun, lightsaber ignited, but before he could chop the hand the Force pulled him away and up, the smaller Inquisitor holding him up in mid-air.

"Now, now," she said. "There will be none of that, Jedi."

He wasn't choking for air, but his entire body was held up, his limbs straight and tense. He still held on to his lightsaber, well, his Master's lightsaber. He gritted his teeth, even as the smaller inquisitor looked back at the rest of the workers in the line.

"You may go, all of you," she glanced at Prauf, "Thank you for your service, citizen."

Prauf stared, and then looked up. His eyes looked into Cal's, and Cal's own widened as he wished to say not to do what the Abednedo was thinking of doing. It wouldn't work. It wouldn't-

His friend threw himself forward with a scream, tackling the smaller inquisitor and breaking her hold on Cal.

"Run, Cal! RUN!" Prauf's yell ringed in his ears. The Abednedo was launched backwards by the force, but Cal didn't turn around to see what was going on. He ran.

It was what he was good at; running away and leaving others behind to die for him.

He heard the blasters firing. Short bursts aiming at his feet, or arms. No shots meant to kill, thus easier for the enemy to miss him. Yet some did come for him, the Force warned him of them, he felt the bolts and spun while deflecting them away from him.

The two Inquisitors ignited their lightsabers to deflect the returning bolts.

One scraped his shoulder just as he reached the edge of the rocky platform he was on, and he spun in mid-air before falling below.

The shot hadn't been meant to kill. The Blasters had been regulated differently.

He fell; down below the magentic trains moved at hypervelocity across their tracks. He was lucky, which was perhaps something that couldn't be said of those that surrounded him. He fell through the ceiling which dulled his fall, and landed at the bottom of a train within a container room.

His head was ringing, his vision was blurry, but still he heard two voices.

"What the hell-"

"What is going on?"

Two Empire stormtroopers, their clearly identifiable white armor marking them as such even though they were white blotches to Cal's eyes, neared him with their blasters drawn.

"Citizen," one of the two was closer. "How did you get here!?"

"Easy now..." Cal closed his eyes. "I fell, officer."

"How the hell are you still alive?" the other asked.

"I'm calling this in," the first one said.

"You don't need to do that," Cal said. "It was just an accident-"

"This is TK-8190, we have a sit-"

His lightsaber cut through the man's chest. The other Stormtrooper instinctively opening fire and receiving the bolt back through its deflection, sending him to reel back and hit the wall, collapsing on the ground. If he wasn't dead, he was going to be unconscious for a while.

"Damn," Cal muttered, hurrying off.

He had to leave Bracca behind.

He had to leave it in a hurry.

And in order to do that, he had to stop the train.

---

I closed my eyes and concentrated. My meditation chambers as the Emperor of the Galactic Empire were spartan in appearance, but deeply rich in the Force. The Jedi Holocrons gathered within floated peacefully on one side, while the Sith Holocrons on the opposite end trembled while in the air.

One required patience, and understanding, the other hatred and unbending will.

Both of my hands were up in the air, attempting the delicate balancing act.

The Force was everywhere in the galaxy. It was in every living being. It was in every single entity that existed, felt, thought, or was. It was an inescapable bond that connected everyone together, it was a chain of spiked edges that cut deeply into the scarred flesh.

Screams of the dying intermingled with crying wails of the recently born.

A maelstrom of emotions in a turbulence of thoughts, a wild vision of death in a forest, the screams of the dying within a mechanical monstrosity, and I slowly moved both sides of the Holocrons back down.

"Kashyyk needs pacification once more," I muttered. "The Wookie are proud people, but Gerrera inciting them is folly."

I glanced at the Holocrons, and two quietly floated near me by my hands.

They whispered. They spoke.

"To subdue through fear, violence and death or seeking a compromise," I mused as I glanced them slowly twirling in lazy circles in front of me. "Gerrera is a maniac who seeks death, and to him I can offer little compromise," I glanced at the Sith holocron, and it pulsed, "But the Wookie are a different creature. And Unduli is there."

I turned thoughtful. "She is a beacon that attracts many a Jedi to her...to transfer her would invite an attack, and make things harder."

I glanced at the Jedi Holocron. I knew what it wanted.

It was because I knew what it wanted, that I did not know if I actually would do so.

Kashyyk was one of the prime providers of food for the Imperial Army, and an Army marched on its stomach. I had not enslaved the Wookie, though I had taken lands from their planet. In hindsight, this had led to less troubles, but we were invaders all the same, and there was little I could do. Trading with the Wookie perhaps might have served a better purpose, but the infrastructure had been laid by the Empire and...

It was a bad aspect of colonialism, I reckoned. To believe oneself and one's nation so superior to another, clearly we were doing them a favor by colonizing their lands.

It was a bitter aftertaste on my mouth, but losing Kashyyk would have given the wrong message. It would have led to more, widespread rebellion. I could not give it independence, but perhaps I could institute a tithe system.

But in order to do that, the Wookie leaders had to be brought to a diplomatic table, and that couldn't happen with Gerrera around.

I glanced at the Sith holocron, pulsing softly in contrast with the Jedi one.

"Seek diplomacy with the Wookie, but annihilate Gerrera," I decided in the end, letting both Holocrons fly back to the sides of the room.

My will would be done...

..and mine was the Will of the Force.

Well, Shade Palpatine you better grind and pimp up your Chosen One as an insurance policy for the Force Audit to Balance. You know, just in case. Also... Obi Wan seems to not have the high ground here.
And well... The previous original snippet and She Ra ones give me hope. Let the coffee flow. Do you have enough coffee in stock, Emperor? Do they even have those?

Have you heard the Triumph of Shade the Coffee Addict?
He was so powerful in the force he could infuse hot water with beans to create coffee!

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Shadow Part Three [SWJ:FO/SI]
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Shadow Part Three [SWJ:FO/SI]

Zeffo was a pleasant world. It wasn't peaceful, but it was pleasant. The air was fresh; it wasn't rich in the oily texture of Bracca, and also less marsh-like than Bogano. It was a vibrant world. There were people there too, mulling about a picturesque village where Stormtroopers patrols were ever-present.

The Tombs on the planet were his destination, but Cal couldn't help but feel nervous as he did his best impression of just another passerby seeking his way through the streets.

"Damn Scazz' got into the canteen again; there's gotta be a tunnel somewhere leading them up," he overheard one of the Stormtroopers speak to the other.

"...today's cookies had raisins in them, right?" the other Stormtrooper asked.

The two stopped to look at one another. "What answer would you like to hear, Trooper?"

Cal moved past them both, BD-1 on his back beeping in his direction. "The way to the Tomb is through the archaeological dig sites?" Cal muttered, "Those are heavily guarded, aren't they?"

BD-1 beeped back affirmatively.

Past the hefty crowd, he glanced at the checkpoint ahead. Docking at the city had been easy; Zeffo was apparently a tourist town filled with lots of cheap, worthless 'relics' and tourist-scamming opportunities. At the same time, security stepped up fiercely past the tourist-approved areas, to the point where he could pinpoint at least four different sniper nests and more than a few floating droids keeping track of the people.

The excuse the Empire gave was to prevent thieves from leaving the planet with the people's own relics and history, but the truth was that they were shipped off-world by the Empire itself, for what use, it was yet to be discovered.

It took him a few hours to find the rhythm of the patrols, but even then, they were locked into rotations that prevented passage, unless he did something to cause a distraction and force some security to break off.

He found his opportunity with a peculiarly loud vendor, attempting to sell an original Zeffo artifact that showed the future through its beady, glass eyes, and a strangely interested man who knew no better with an eavesdropping crowd nearby.

The clincher was the patrol that happened to pass by.

He grabbed a statue from the corner of the stall and threw it, before slipping through the crowd without staying back to hear the end results. He did hear the familiar sound of cheap ceramic shattering, and the startled cry of a trooper.

"Who threw that!?" the Stormtrooper yelled.

"You lot!" the other Stormtrooper growled, "That's enough! Your license, merchant-"

"But it wasn't me! It was-"

The patrol was going to be late for the shift change. This meant two less Stormtroopers to deal with. It did leave an awful lot more and the Sniper nests, but-

"Cal, try to see if the local fauna can be of help-" Cere piped in just at that moment, even as he found his quarry in what appeared to be cages with Scazz settled inside. They were still alive, while others were instead being roasted over a fire and pieces were offered to the tourists.

"Eat like the ancient Zeffo did!" the Vendor loudly proclaimed. The cages were metal, locked with combination locks.

It was easy to get BD-1 to open those while he distracted the vendor, and easier still was to run away together with the crowd of tourists that shrilly screamed at the giant rat-like creatures now being free.

The Stormtroopers did not open fire at the civilians running past the checkpoint; they'd pick them up and fine them, perhaps. Yet he was already past them, and he didn't stop running. Hopefully the chaos would keep the Snipers' off his tail too, though he realized the Droids' video footage would reveal him.

By then, he'd be long gone from the planet, he hoped.

He found a passage into the side of the mountain wall he had been coasting, which led to a cave system that hung overhead a bigger dig site yet. There were people down below, dusting and cleaning what appeared to be actual relics, or antiques.

Stormtroopers were patrolling the grounds, keeping a careful eye over the Archaeologists. Cal held his breath as he dutifully crossed and then stopped as he heard the sound of a Blaster's safety mechanism being removed.

"Hands where I can see them!" a Stormtrooper's voice reached him, and he obeyed.

"I-I got lost," Cal said. "There were some big rats at the market, and-"

"Zip it. Identification! Nice and slowly now," the Stormtrooper retorted. "No sudden movements. I don't want to add resistance to public officer anymore than you don't want to spend the night in the brig-"

Cal understood that. He truly did.

"The Blaster is...set to stunning, right?" he asked, even as he slowly reached for something below his poncho.

"It is, but why ask-"

His lightsaber was quickly in his hand as he cut the man's own blaster with a quick swing, before slamming his open hand against the Stormtrooper's side of the face and knocking him on the ground. Then, he ripped the man's helmet off and threw it to the side.

"Sorry, gotta run," he said in the end, rushing off and leaving the half-dazed Stormtrooper behind.

He now didn't have much time left. It was time to get inventive, and find a different path to the ruins. Luckily there were a lot of mountain paths.

Unluckily, there was also the local wildlife to contend with.

"Phillaks," Cal said with a gasp, narrowly avoiding the tri-horned creature that slammed against the rocky wall past him. "Why did it have to be Phillaks!?"

BD-1 beeped, delivering more useful trivia on the creature while he dodged a second one of those creatures on his way up a rocky ledge.

He reached the top just to come face to face with a Jotaz, of all things, who growled and then roared in anger at him.

"Woah, calm down big guy," his lightsaber ignited, the blue sheen vibrating in the air. "You don't want to do this."

The Jotaz, apparently, disagreed.

---

Ryloth was a problem.

It was a personal problem I had to deal with.

Well, not truly I, but at the same time it was the main exporter of Spice into the galaxy and I needed that planet to keep the detoxifying programs ongoing. The Ryll was also an important ore, and it was mined on that planet alone.

The planet was to be kept, and while the imperial occupation might have chaffed with the twi'leks who inhabited it, I was reasonably sure everything could be smoothed over with some talking at a diplomatic table.

Which was why the ambush came as a surprise. Then again, it wouldn't have been a proper ambush if it had been expected.

"A grouping of mines left over from the Clone wars, my emperor," the captain of the Judgment was stating the obvious. The ship used to have another name, 'Perilous', but I disliked it, so I had it changed. Captain Luitt was a gray-haired man that served loyally; even so I hummed. Anakin was outside with the V-wing starfighters, fighting off the Vulture droids that had been activated as a result of us tripping this sudden minefield.

"Ships come and go from Ryloth, and only us suffer left over mines, Captain?" I remarked while seated on a throne-like chair overlooking the vastness of space ahead of me.

"The repair crews are already on their way," Captain Luitt said, his head low, "the hangar bays shall be repaired as swiftly as-"

I closed my eyes, and felt it in the Force. "Yes," I mused. "I suppose they will be arriving. Have the Stormtroopers readied. The Engine bay must be protected."

"My Emperor?" the Captain didn't understand.

"This is a ploy, Captain," I mused. "Traitors are coming amidst the repair crews. I can sense them; their unease, their worry, their resolution and their desires. Just like I am sensing your worry at having failed me," I arched an eyebrow. "You have yet to fail in my eyes Captain. See to the preparations for this upcoming boarding attempt. I shall be a most welcoming host, I will see Lord Skywalker in the hangar. Direct him there once he is done with the Vulture droids."

And then I stood from my seat and walked out, the Captain bowing at my passage and then delivering the orders swiftly through his Comm-unit.

The Judgment carried more than nine thousand Stormtroopers aboard.

Their lives were at stake if the rebels blew the ship up.

Though I did wonder who would have planned this, and why.

The only way to find out would be to reach the planet and investigate. Though, perhaps, it would not need to be that long of an investigation.

Now that I knew what to look for, all I needed was to merely speak with them.

A form of rapport, more than just a few passing words, and slowly but surely, I would worm my way into their minds, into their thoughts, into their beliefs and into their memories. It was a bond made of hooked, ridged chains that cut deep if it was disturbed, but if left alone it did nothing, and hurt nobody.

Thus, I watched as Anakin nimbly jumped out of the pilot seat of his V-wing and landed on the hangar floor, rolling towards me and then coming to a halt as I watched the first ships land.

"Eighty-Three," I said, "Repair ship Eighty-Three is our number."

Anakin nodded. "Never a dull moment, uh, Shade." He spoke plainly, and without honorifics since it was just the two of us standing there in the hangar. The rest of the crew members were a certain distance away, and the noise of the ships coming in covered most of our words.

"And you thought being the second-in-command of an Emperor would be dull, Anakin?" I mused. "Has there been a report on the situation with the latest Jedi fugitive?"

"I should step up the training of the Sisters. Two of them couldn't even catch one Padawan-" he grumbled.

"Maybe it speaks highly of the Padawan's skills," I mused. "He might make a fine addition to the Inquisition."

"If he's willing to listen," Anakin said.

Then, the Stormtroopers and the Captain arrived, and Anakin's face was schooled back into its Lord Skywalker persona.

It wouldn't do for the people to see their Emperor as anything but a wise source of power and respectability.

It wouldn't do for them to think he was anything but the omniscient ex-Jedi that had single-handedly defeated a grand conspiracy by house Palpatine and brought peace to the Republic and stability to the Rims.

And to ensure such acts happened no more, the Inquisition had been formed.

Perhaps it was not the Jedi order of old, but it also was not the Sith order to come.

It was a third path. It was a third option.

As the rebels descended from the repair ship, they realized their plan had failed.

Such was the case when their minds...

...were like a fortress with its gate unbarred, and unguarded.

Shame that the rebels don't have more faith in God-Emperor Shade.
He, uh, kind of dismantled their entire Democratic government and replaced with a literal named and branded Empire. Military might dictates what's legal or not. And Order 66 went through before the SI-hood came into play, so that's a fucking lot of Jedi dead*.

I kinda don't blame them for wanting him dead or at least detained.

*Also, I forgot if Anakin's youngling massacre happened before or after Order 66 (and therefore Shade's bodyjacking) went through.

Last edited:
*Also, I forgot if Anakin's youngling massacre happened before or after Order 66 (and the Shade's bodyjacking) went through.
On this note...do we actually know that Shade took over Palpatine? He's definitely an Emperor, but he may not be the Emperor if ya get me. Especially not with how House Palpatine was apparently one of the groups removed in the chaos of Order 66 and the New Order.

A couple other details that come to mind are how in the first chapter there is the opening quote where someone (presumably a Sith) is outraged by betrayal (probably by Shade)...except the only Sith Lords that should be a nominal 'master' is either Sidious or Plagius...and the latter is frankly far too dangerous and more easily poisoned for a direct confrontation to make sense. Which means Sidious is the subject of the betrayal and cannot be Shade. There is also the title. Fallen Shadow is obviously a reference to the game and to Shade...but Jedi Shadows were kind of a thing, were specialized in black ops and sneaky shit, and did have a history of operations to join and infiltrate Sith before stabbing them in the back (not that said ops worked out too well, as this hypothetical one didn't). And if a certain Shady Shadow joined Sidious, backstabbed him, and then backstabbed the Jedi Order (betrayed in the sense of not trying to rebuild it or allow others to do so after Order 66) just after it was destroyed by Sidious? Well he'd be in position to take all the power, have a possible connection to Anakin, and by virtue of embracing the Dark Side and finishing off the corrupt Republic would be thoroughly 'Fallen'.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Shadow Part Four [SWJ:FO/SI]
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Shadow Part Four [SWJ:FO/SI]

Trilla wasn't pleased. "We have a perimeter breach on Zeffo, scout droids found our mark on planet."

"Zeffo? Wouldn't that mean...the Tombs?" Masana asked, cocking her head to the side. Then, she felt her sister's turmoil and grimaced. "We are working together on this. The Emperor will not punish either of us-"

"He is busy on Ryloth," Trilla mumbled, "If he is angered there, then...we have time to set things right on our end, please him, and hopefully pacify him," she added.

They left Hyperspace near the planet, the ship landing on the Imperial base's main hangar bay. The Purge Troopers were disciplined, and marched out to stand at attention of the two Inquisitors who disembarked last.

The base commander met them there, a couple of AT-STs standing at the ready with a full complement of Stormtroopers behind the walkers. Some even carried missile launchers.

"Lady Inquisitors," the man saluted them. "Our forces are at your disposal. We have already doubled security around critical points-"

"Good. We have reason to believe the Jedi is headed for the Tombs. Assuming he makes his way inside one, we shall reserve a welcoming party for him once he comes out," Trilla's voice was modulated through her mask to appear less human, and slightly more robotic for psychological effects.

"We shall have speeders prepared at once," the base commander said.

"Good man!" Masala chuckled.

"He arrived on a ship, a Stinger XL," Trilla pointed out. "Have the planet docks scanned for those."

"That might take a while," the commander regretfully muttered, "That's a luxury yacht, and there are dozens of those spread across Zeffo...with as many annoying upstanding citizens as there are stars in the sky."

"Poetic, but meaningless," Trilla said curtly. "They will stand aside, or they will be imprisoned. That is the Emperor's will, commander."

The man stiffened and stood straighter, "If the Emperor wills it, the Emperor shall have it be done."

Trilla nodded once, firmly.

And firmer still, she quashed down the fleeting fear of failure from her mind.

Fear and Hatred shall not rule you, but shall be a weapon.
You are the one who wields it, and a blade is just a blade without a willing hand.
If you allow for the blood splatters to blind you, then you shall commit mistakes.
But mistakes are growing moments, from those we learn not to commit such things again.
Thus, learn. Thus, grow.
But always remember, Trilla, that some mistakes...
...some mistakes you can't fix.

---

Cal wondered why the Zeffo went through all the effort of locking their tombs in such ways that only a Force user could pass through them, as much as why there were locking mechanisms that required giant rolling boulders to push down on pressure plates.

He deftly avoided the latest large brass sphere filled with some kind of energy signature, and watched as it shattered a nearby wall. He winced at the noise. Thankfully there was no one in the Tomb with him. The Stormtroopers guarded the outer perimeter, but apparently they weren't allowed inside.

It became clear who could access it by the sight of the shattered and broken constructs that only a lightsaber could have reduced in such a sorrowful state, and Cal made a mental note never to end up on the receiving end of whoever had done such a thing.

BD-1 beeped as he scanned one of the fallen ancient robots. "Yeah, I get it BD," Cal muttered. "That's like an avoid-at-all-costs scenario."

There was a certain sense of unease as he finally crossed into the proper tomb area, his hand having touched a fractured wall, his memories of his training with his master resurfacing. He witnessed the giant sarcophagus of the Zeffo sage resting beneath thick glass. They were large creatures; easily twice or even thrice as tall as him.

Or perhaps it was just the statues and the Sarcophagus' size playing tricks on him.

The Tomb Guardian didn't take kindly to his forceful entry however, and this one hadn't been destroyed by whatever lightsaber-wielding explorer had come before him. Thus it was up to him.

He watched the slow, lumbering machine near, its pulsing core twirling quickly. A beam of energy left its center, and he hastily brought his lightsaber up to deflect part of it, wincing as he felt the heat pass over him. That thing would kill if it got a good hit on him, that much was definitely unquestionable.

He ran closer, his lightsaber swinging against the creature's midriff, only for it to stare down at him. It moved one of its massive hands and Cal avoided it by a hair's breadth, before spinning to swing down on the limb.

The wrist section was the weakest point, as the offending limb fell on the ground with a cluttering sound. A knee strike took him by surprise, making him gasp as he fell backwards on the ground, clutching his stomach.

Hopefully it hadn't broken any of his ribs. BD-1 beeped worryingly from his back, "Not yet," he hissed. "I can still-"

The core of the statue began to pulse once more.

And this time, with a yell, Cal's hand shot forth. The Force answered his call, slamming through the core and pushing it out. The guardian seemingly powered down, though the force-field holding the core contained was slowly pushing the thing back into its proper socket.

Cal willed the pain away as he rushed forward, jumping over the guardian and then slicing the core in half, a small explosion following as the ancient droid simply collapsed like a marionette with its strings cut.

"Now, do you have a stim BD?" Cal asked, catching his breath.

BD beeped in approval, and threw one out which he quickly caught and injected. As the Bacta did its miracle, Cal sighed in relief.

"Let's see if we can find our way out of here," he muttered.

He did, indeed, find his way out.

He also found the welcoming committee waiting for him just outside.

"Cal Kestis!" the smaller of the two Inquisitors was flanked by black-armored Stormtroopers, who were aiming straight at him. "Surrender yourself right now, and we can avoid a bloodshed."

The other Inquisitor was nowhere to be seen, and that made things more worrisome.

"You're alone today?" he asked, trying to get time. He didn't think his odds were that good in this situation. If he retreated back in the temple, he might have time to plan something else, but there was no way to re-power the lift without a power-sphere.

"My sister is capturing your allies as we speak," the smaller inquisitor said. "Let us not prolong this any longer, however. We have a schedule to keep."

A rumbling came from below the ground. Cal felt it. Something was coming. Something big. The Force forewarned him of that. His eyes glanced to the side, to where a rock circular cover seemed to be standing over a vent.

"I see, but you know, I didn't catch your name and you do know mine," Cal said, trying to sound charming even as he raised his hands up in the air and began to slowly walk down.

He had to time it perfectly.

He had to trust in the Force to get him through.

"Trilla, Inquisitor Trilla," the smaller inquisitor said as she began to walk closer, her lightsaber strapped back to her belt and a pair of handcuffs instead floating into her hands, which she began to twirl gently around. "And it is good that you stopped running. There's a point where the death count marks a Jedi fugitive as a kill-on-sight, you know?"

"Oh, such reasonable people," Cal said, and then felt the final tremor.

BD beeped as he dashed, even as Trilla was briefly caught by surprise as he proceeded to slam her back, straight into the firing line of Purge Troopers. "Gah!" she exclaimed in shock, but he jumped on the stone cover just as a blast of powerful air detonated from below, sending the stone manhole to fly up, with him on it.

He held on to a side, hearing the blasters impact against the other side of his flying, makeshift cover. He flexed his legs, pushed the manhole towards the ground and then rolled away from it.

"STOP RUNNING!" Trilla's voice snarled loudly, "YOU ARE MERELY DELAYING THE INEVIT-"

But he was already gone. There was no way he'd wish to stick around.

---

The ship was being held down by concentrated firepower; if it attempted to lift off, the turbolasers would gun it down quickly. If it didn't, the Walkers would.

This wasn't the first ship she had gone through, but it was the first that had opposed such fierce resistance to as much as opening the doors. She had patience, but even her patience grew thin when whoever was on the other side announced it needed further time to wear his sixth pair of pants.

She could have gone nearer, used her lightsaber to open the door and perhaps gotten a full serving of a Blaster burst afterwards. She knew better than risking her life like that. And if there was explosive on the other side of the door, then any Trooper she sent would die.

Her gift in the Force made her empathetic, way more than normal; but while it was helpful in seeking out those who feared, or were harboring traitorous thoughts, it also was a double-edged blade that led her to keep her troops guarded.

It meant fewer losses, but it also meant taking things nice and slow which sometimes wasn't the best strategic advantage.

Case in point, she did hear an explosion as the ship's shields failed, and just as it did the Walkers stopped firing.

"Now I'll ask one more time," she roared, "Come out and surrender or we'll blow your ship up!"

She gritted her teeth as no reply was forthcoming, "enough time wasting," she growled. "Go! Breach!"

"Yes ma'am," the Purge Trooper Commander by her side gave hand-gestures, and a group of five moved towards the ship's door. They moved to the sides, one slamming a detonating charge against the center of the sealed entrance.

"Detonating," one of the Purge Troopers announced, pushing a button and letting the charge explode. Then, she heard the telltale sound of Blaster fire in bursts, "Entering!" the Purge Troopers moved in, "No contact! I repeat-no contact!"

Masana clenched her fists. "They can't have ran away! The ship's surrounded on all sides!"

And as soon as she said that, two shots fired from the ship. The escape pods launched themselves off the side, just as she felt fear and worry clutch the hearts of the Purge Troopers inside. "Bomb!" one of the Purge Troopers managed to scream from within, barely forewarning her.

With heavy heart and a scream born of rage, she called to the Force as the pavement of the docking hangar in front of her rose up to form a makeshift wall. The detonation slammed into the Walkers, toppling them on the ground. She felt the life of the Troopers within get snuffed out in a second, and she closed her eyes to squash those fleeting last instants of life out of her mind.

You share a gift similar to mine, Masana.
Allow me to warn you of its unfortunate consequence, as your Master probably did not.
When you open yourself up to feel what others do, you take their emotions in. The good, the bad, the sad...and their joys are your joys, their triumphs yours, but it is an open door. One that leads straight to your heart. The pain you will feel, the horrors you will witness, the rage, the anger of the living...the more you feel, the more overpowering it will be.
Order 66 broke me, Masana. Do not let such events break you.
Guard your heart, allow it to breathe, but never forget...
...life is a fleeting cauldron of turbulent emotions, and that is both a wonderful, and yet also incredibly traumatizing thing.
Learn to live with it. Learn to control it.
Or it will control you.

---

The field was peaceful.

It seemed taken out of a bucolic painting, and all that was missing were children playing in the fields. It was a simple, out of civilization place.

It was the place where the Free Ryloth movement had agreed to meet. It was the place where we would exchange prisoners.

"There are a lot of them," Anakin mused from my side.

"Good," I said. "It means we can fire at them in every direction and never miss."

Anakin chuckled. Behind us, chained and shackled hands and feet, were the prisoners of the failed attack on the Judgment. They were docile, if nothing else because they had been drugged by the interrogation droids to keep them tranquil. There wouldn't be any long-lasting effects, provided the talks proceeded properly.

"It was bold of you to come in person, Emperor," the words were carried with spite and venom. I kept my hands hidden within my long flowing robes, and glanced up in the direction of the twi'lek that had spoken. He was quite tall, orange-skinned and with his arms crossed in front of him as if expecting to have the upper hand in this conversation.

It was a flight of fancy I might allow him to keep, but I knew Anakin was a hair-trigger bomb most often when it came to diplomatic talks.

Around us, more rebels appeared with their blasters held at the ready.

"You are surrounded," the twi'lek continued. "You came with no reinforcements. You came with no Stormtroopers-" he was puzzled, "you cannot believe you will walk out of here."

I hummed, and then cocked my head to the side. "Tell me, what is your name?"

"My name? Ah! Imperial Intelligence must truly be worthless," the twi'lek snarled, "Then hear it! I'm Cham Syndulla, leader of the Free Ryloth movement, and-"

"It must have been tough," I said. "Gathering these people, rallying them to your cause."

"What are you...it has been," he admitted, "But it was worth it for this day, for-"

"The dead," I mused, "all those people who died for the cause, they're probably honored, aren't they?"

Cham was taken slightly aback, "They...they will be. What...what are you doing?"

"Talking," I said simply enough. "We came here to talk, Syndulla. That is what I wished to do from the beginning, and that is my objective. Let us talk, let us seek a middle ground of peace. Are you not tired of war, of death, of blood spilled on the ground?" I spoke gently, and even so my words carried with them the will of the Force.

They were slithering snakes of invisible desires; they were coaxing, toxic fumes that drained the will of the strong and readied to sink their hooked claws and barbs into the minds of the unwilling.

"T-That won't achieve anything..." Cham muttered.

"But I am a good listener, Syndulla," I pointed out. "Talk to me, tell me your worries, your problems, and we might find a solution. Crimes may be forgiven, you may return home..." I felt it in the Force, "To your family, to your daughter. As a Hero. Not a terrorist," I said, "A freedom fighter that fought, and won rights for his people."

Not freedom.

It would never be freedom.

But better working conditions could be arranged. The Moff could be strictly disciplined, or even replaced.

They would not have freedom, but their living conditions could be improved.

Panem et Circenses was a good thing, when the alternative was death.

"M-Maybe..." Cham mumbled, clutching his forehead. "Maybe we can t-talk..." his voice was slurred.

His body swayed briefly.

"What the hell-" a resistance fighter by his side muttered, "No! To hell with it! Open fire! The Emperor's using mind-"

He rasped, and choked in mid-air as Anakin lifted his left hand, and then clenched it.

The sharp crack startled Cham out of his fugue-like state, and I sighed. "Now you went and did it again, Anakin."

"They were going to open fire anyway," Anakin retorted as my hands both moved to the side, the laser bolts from the rebels all ceasing to move in mid-air, held back by the Force.

I concentrated, took a deep breath, and then pushed the bolts back to their makers.

"Fear and dead men," Anakin mused. "It's all I'm surrounded of most days of the week."

"Soon it will be Twi'Lek not-slaves," I grumbled as I began to walk forward, headed towards Cham Syndulla whom I had kept alive. "The Moff has questionable practices I need to root out of her, or replace her outright," I stared at the Twi'lek rebellion leader, Anakin's lightsaber flashing as he deflected a blaster shot from a survivor back at the rebel in question, who cried out as he collapsed on the back.

"So, where were we?" I mused as I extended a hand towards the man, watching his eyes widen at me. "Oh, yes..." I smiled at him.

"Tell me more about you, Cham..."

"...I am an Emperor of the People, after all."

Tell me more about you, Cham..."

"...I am an Emperor of the People, after all."

What I love about Shade is how he makes such lovely and nuanced characters simply through manipulating what the readers know and do not know of the setting and the characters he uses.

The mystery and the vagueness is what makes them enjoyable and, dare I say, relatable.

This Emperor of the People, for example. He clearly is a villain ... but what sort? Tragic? Perhaps. A Villain with Good Intentions? Signs put to that, yes. A Hero who Fell? Strong signs of that too. What we do know is that he both has good guy and bad guy characteristics ... and that makes him interesting.

It's the kind of villain you don't often see in fiction: someone who is rather reasonable, definitely well-intentioned, surprisingly principled, but absolutely ruthless when there is no better option available.

Also, shouldn't the Imperial Senate still be around at this point? Shade would probably keep it around as more than just a token of democracy, too--he'd just come down ruthlessly on corruption and stupidity from any of the senators and get a replacement where needed. That would actually appease Padme somewhat--that the Emperor wants democracy, he just wants it to be functional and not corrupt.

...hell, he could even have her as an advisor--and through his charisma and good intentions, actually earn her grudging respect by actually listening to her a lot.

Back